PDA

View Full Version : Day one of vets returning - starting Oline

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-05-2011, 11:03 AM
The starting Oline yesterday at camp was:

J. Scott - Legs - Pouncey - Foster - Colon

They also moved Foster to LG to give C. Scott some time with the first teamers at RG.

Second team Oline was:

Hills - Williams - Legs - C. Scott - Jolly

Kemo (knee) and Gilbert (knee) sat out

While the quality might not yet be up to snuff, it looks like there are a few intriguing players on the roster who seem to be impressing. It will be interesting to see who makes it this year. If we keep ten, then right now my linemen would look like:

J. Scott - Kemo - Pouncey - Foster - Colon

with.......

Legursky, Gilbert, C. Scott, Williams, Jolly

By the start of next year expect to see two of Gilbert, Scott, and Williams as your starting guards.

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 12:13 PM
By the start of next year expect to see two of Gilbert, Scott, and Williams as your starting guards.

It's very possible, in a couple of years, if these young guys pan out, that we could have a starting OL of:

M.Gilbert-K.Williams-M.Pouncey-C.Scott-W.Colon

AkronSteel
08-05-2011, 12:56 PM
That's the lineup that I expected to see! I would like to see the team bring back Flozell for depth purposes if nothing else!! They are very thin at tackle right now considering Gilbert is on the mend. I know Flozell probably wouldn't take a backup job but they need to find someone to fill the swing tackle need for sure!!! Overall the starting 5 isn't too bad though!
The team can compete with:

LT: Scott
LG: Kemo
C: Pouncey
RG: Foster
RT: Colon

I feel the interior backups are in good order but I worry about the tackle position with precious little depth there!!!

phillyesq
08-05-2011, 01:08 PM
The starting group is pretty underwhelming, but some of the backups, specifically, the lack of depth at OT, is downright terrifying. Gilbert is missing time with a knee injury, which seems to leave Tony Hills and Chris Scott as the primary backups at OT right now. If Colon has problems with the achilles, or if Scott gets dinged up, this line could be in serious trouble.

I'm confident that with Williams and Legursky they can scrape together some depth at G, but this line looks like it has the potential to be one of the worst in years.

steelz09
08-05-2011, 02:10 PM
The FO really needs to think about cutting Kemo.

Bad Knee. Stupid Penalties. Overrated. Overpaid.

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 03:19 PM

If it means that they could extend Timmons/Polamalu now, then they may consider it (also Arnaz Battle as well).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-05-2011, 03:29 PM

Kemo has three years left on his contract. His remaining SB hit is about $2.2M. It is not often that the Steelers cut a guy with that much left but I would not be against it either.

hawaiiansteel
08-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Kemo has three years left on his contract. His remaining SB hit is about $2.2M. It is not often that the Steelers cut a guy with that much left but I would not be against it either.

I read somewhere that if the Steelers were to cut Kemo it would be next year when the cap hit from his contract would be a lot more palatable.

that means Kemo better step up his game this season or risk getting axed next year...

Discipline of Steel
08-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Yeah, i dont think Kemo is in danger of the ax this year unless he totally flubbs the pre-season. Hes got some good qualities, maybe he will bounce back and have a good year.

To be honest, I dont think the Steelers are done yet at OT. They need another respectable player because there are only 2 right now. Unless 'diamond in the rough' Tony Hills is expected to emerge, i cant imagine us going into a Super Bowl run with only 2 OT.

AkronSteel
08-05-2011, 11:19 PM
I would take Trai Essex back to help bolster the depth on the line at this point! Anything is better than what we have currently! I'm pretty scared of the OT position......no depth and two starters that are make or break! Could be bad for BB!