PDA

View Full Version : Woodley signs new deal.

MR.V.
08-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Six years,61.5 million.

flippy
08-05-2011, 08:30 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6835818/lamarr-woodley-pittsburgh-steelers-lands-615m-deal-source-says?campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

$18M in the first year and $27M in the first 2 years doesn't sound very cap friendly.

And it's $10M more than Harrison got.

Wow.

steelerkeylargo
08-05-2011, 08:42 AM
My guess is about 12 of that 18M is in signing bonus.

Oviedo
08-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Let's hope this motivates him to play the first half of the season along with stellar second halves and play offs.

Now on to Timmons!!!!!

flippy
08-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I heard on ESPN this morning someone was saying Woodley is better than Harrison.

Lucky for us Captain Maui Wowwee is probably still asleep and didn't hear that one. I'm sure that might have caused an aneurysm.

Steelhere10
08-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Yea

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Considering Kamerion Wimbley just got 5 years, $48 million, it's a solid deal.

Also consider Tamba Hali got 5 years, $60 million and Woodley got 6 years, $61.5 million...an extra year on the deal for only $1.5 million more (considering Woodley has 3 straight years of double-digit sacks and Hali just had his first).

Steelhere10
08-05-2011, 09:36 AM
So do we cut anyone?

papillon
08-05-2011, 09:41 AM
So do we cut anyone?

Well, if this deal doesn't put them in a violation of the salary cap and they're happy with the team as it is then I don't think anyone will get cut. If the deal causes salary cap problems or they want to begin making room for Polamalu and Timmons then there may have to be some cuts.

Pappy

flippy
08-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Considering Kamerion Wimbley just got 5 years, $48 million, it's a solid deal.

Also consider Tamba Hali got 5 years, $60 million and Woodley got 6 years, $61.5 million...an extra year on the deal for only $1.5 million more (considering Woodley has 3 straight years of double-digit sacks and Hali just had his first).

Seems reasonable, but we've also got a boat load of other premiere players to sign. I'm sure we'll work it out.

But how much money is there gonna be for Timmons, Troy, Wallace, etc?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-05-2011, 09:46 AM
This deal lowers Wood's cap value for '11. He was scheduled to make a $10M+ franchise number, this will lower his hit this year by several mil.

As far as releasing goes, Colbert says that there will be no more vets released in cap cutting moves.

I'd post the link but that came from Steelers Depot.

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 09:46 AM
So do we cut anyone?

No, we shouldn't need to cut anyone because this should actually improve our cap situation (amazingly enough), since the signing bonus is spread out through the length of the deal for cap purposes, even though Wood gets a whole mess of cash in his pocket up front. Although we don't have the specific details of how much his signing bonus is (all they stated was that he was due to make $18.1 million this season), let's guess and say it is a $15 million signing bonus and a base salary of $3.1 million for 2011. That signing bonus is spread out over the length of the deal ($2.5 million per year), which would mean that his cap value for this season would be prorated portion of his signing bonus ($2.5 million) plus his base salary for this year ($3.1 million), giving him a cap hit of $5.6 million, which is less than the franchise tag cap value of $10 million (again, these numbers are just guesses...I don't have the details of the contract...but that is how the accounting would work).

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-05-2011, 10:04 AM
I also believe the new CBA has an exemption designation for one player this year for 3 mil. I didn't see the language of it but I believe there is also exemptions in 2012 of 1.5 for three players.

The salary cap is $120.375 million, but each team has the option of using a $3 million exemption this year on a signed player to free up some room. Next year, teams will have the option of designating three player exemptions at $1.5 million each. These are used to transition into a salary cap that decreased from $128 million in 2009. There is also a mandatory cash minimum payroll for each team at 89 percent of the cap, which translates into $107.1 million per team.

MeetJoeGreene
08-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Let's hope this motivates him to play the first half of the season along with stellar second halves and play offs.

Now on to Timmons!!!!!
I agree on all points. My first thought was that i wantes
3 sacks against the rats from him.

sentinel33
08-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Probably gotta thank Starks for comin in all fat.

Coulda been A. Smith who takes the hit to help get Woodley signed long term.

That woulda sucked.

steelz09
08-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Wow... that's a chunk of change.

I would expect the Timmons deal to be something similar.

The one thing that sucks about the Timmons deal is that it took him the majority of his rookie contract to be monsterous at his position. He had a great year last year but he missed a bunch of sacks. I can see him getting those sacks this year.

Woodley was different. He had big sack #'s since he got into the league. Big sack #'s = Big Contracts. That's just the way it is.

The problem is that the Steelers didn't get their money's worth for Timmons until last year ESPECIALLY and even moreso this year. But yet, the Steelers are still going to have to pay dearly to keep him. And I don't have a problem with keeping him. The Steelers should keep him without a doubt.

The problem I had was w/ those rookie contracts that they were too high before the new CBA was finalized.

MeetJoeGreene
08-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Now on to Timmons!!!!!
I agree on all points. My first thought was that i wantes
3 sacks against the rats from him.

Slapstick
08-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Of course Woodley is going to make more than Harrison...probably more than Polamalu also...

In the NFL, you don't pay a player for what he has done, you pay him for what he is going to do...

Over the next 6 years, Woodley will most likely be a larger part of this defense than either Harrison or Polamalu...

Sometimes, you get a guy like Aaron Smith who, for whatever reason (ie. injuries) doesn't play up to his contract during a few seasons...you can choose to cut that player, ask him to take a pay cut, or leave him alone...

By leaving Aaron Smith's contract alone, the Steelers are sending a signal to the younger players that, if you make a sincere commitment to the organization, the organization will make a sincere commitment to you...

By cutting Max Starks, the Steelers are sending a signal to the younger players not to show up fat...

sentinel33
08-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Slapstick,

So if Starks woulda came to camp in shape, they wouldnt have cut Smith?

This is a business. Don't forget.

I dig the sentiment, but the Steelers are fortunate that they get to use this situation as a "learning tool".

It could have been Smith and this point doesnt get manifested.

But it's great that it worked out this way.

flippy
08-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't think Max getting cut was about being fat. Of course he's gonna add some weight after an injury like he had.

I suspect the feel he may not recover.

sentinel33
08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
400+ lbs.

He got fat.

Just like McKinnie. Except McKinnie was lazy. Starks was possibly due to his injury.

But you may be right, Flip. A combination of the two.

Why didn't they PUP list him(starks)?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Of course Woodley is going to make more than Harrison...probably more than Polamalu also...

Woodley got more than Troy, and more than JH because he was next. Thats the way the league works, salaries get higher every year so the next guy to sign benefits. If JH was still 31 and was up this year he would get more than the deal he signed two years ago.

In the '90s Levon Kirkland signed a contract that made him the highest paid LB at the time. A buddy of mine asked me if I feel that he is the best LB in the league and my answer was "No, but he is one of the best and it is his turn. Soon enough he won't be the highest paid, and by the time this deal ends he will look like a bargain."

NorthCoast
08-05-2011, 11:41 AM
You really cant take Woodley's sack numbers in isolation. He benefits a ton from having Harrison on the other side (and vice versa). The two of them are a true tandem terror rushing the passer, but it seemed to me that they put Harrison in a lot of pass defense last season. Not sure I understand why you would want to negate his strength.

insanesteelersfan
08-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Enjoy this season Harrison, cause NO WAY will he ever see the 2012 season in a Steelers uniform. That you can count on :2c

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Wow... that's a chunk of change.

I would expect the Timmons deal to be something similar.

The one thing that sucks about the Timmons deal is that it took him the majority of his rookie contract to be monsterous at his position. He had a great year last year but he missed a bunch of sacks. I can see him getting those sacks this year.

Woodley was different. He had big sack #'s since he got into the league. Big sack #'s = Big Contracts. That's just the way it is.

The problem is that the Steelers didn't get their money's worth for Timmons until last year ESPECIALLY and even moreso this year. But yet, the Steelers are still going to have to pay dearly to keep him. And I don't have a problem with keeping him. The Steelers should keep him without a doubt.

The problem I had was w/ those rookie contracts that they were too high before the new CBA was finalized.

The rookie contracts were insane at the very top of the draft. Even though we got Timmons in the mid-first instead of our usual spot in the late first, he still wasn't making insane dollars like the Sam Bradfords of the world. His rookie deal was for 5 years, $15 million. His base salary for this season is $650,000.

Slapstick
08-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Enjoy this season Harrison, cause NO WAY will he ever see the 2012 season in a Steelers uniform. That you can count on :2c

Except the Steelers restructured his contract. Why would they create bigger salary cap problems down the road if they planned on cutting him? Restructured contract = more dead money vs. the cap if he's cut.

He won't be cut...

Slapstick
08-05-2011, 12:14 PM

Woodley got more than Troy, and more than JH because he was next. Thats the way the league works, salaries get higher every year so the next guy to sign benefits. If JH was still 31 and was up this year he would get more than the deal he signed two years ago.

In the '90s Levon Kirkland signed a contract that made him the highest paid LB at the time. A buddy of mine asked me if I feel that he is the best LB in the league and my answer was "No, but he is one of the best and it is his turn. Soon enough he won't be the highest paid, and by the time this deal ends he will look like a bargain."

If JH was 31, he would be a bigger contributor down the road.

DukieBoy
08-05-2011, 12:16 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... or-woodley (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/30247/video-new-deal-for-woodley)

Illegal use of hands by a Jet at :34 of the vid.
Sorry, don't know how to embed the vid.[color=#00FF00]

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 12:16 PM

Here is what Harrison is due over the next several seasons:

2011: $3.66 million (+ $900,000 roster bonus due first day of new league year)
2012: $5.315 million
2013: $6.32 million
2014: $7.325 million

He doesn't look cost-prohibitive in 2012 to me (unless his back issues flare up this year, of course).

Steelhere10
08-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Enjoy this season Harrison, cause NO WAY will he ever see the 2012 season in a Steelers uniform. That you can count on :2c Why are you so eager to see the best lb on the team and possible the 2nd or 3rd best player on the team cut. When you have other pos. On the team that can be released , Hines, Smith , Farrior to name a few.
Oh I forget, he is to mean for the Rooneys to be left on the team. I guess thats why they got rid of Lambert and Green. Lol

Oviedo
08-05-2011, 12:32 PM

Here is what Harrison is due over the next several seasons:

2011: $3.66 million (+ $900,000 roster bonus due first day of new league year)
2012: $5.315 million
2013: $6.32 million
2014: $7.325 million

He doesn't look cost-prohibitive in 2012 to me (unless his back issues flare up this year, of course).

The issue isn't what Harrison is projected to make, it is about what Troy and Timmons will be making if we want to keep them. Not sure about the exact numbers but I think we have to bounce Farrior and Smith after this season. That probably saves about $8-9M that we can apply to Troy and Timmons with the larger percentage of that going as an increase to Timmons' annual salary.

This is a important year for the team to assess where Harrison is at with regards to his health. If his back acts up there are tough decisions moving forward on a soon to be 34 year old LB. I still see him moving inside as a viable option to replace Farrior. It may extend his career versus constantly being folded in half by much larger OTs.

NW Steeler
08-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Enjoy this season Harrison, cause NO WAY will he ever see the 2012 season in a Steelers uniform. That you can count on :2c Why are you so eager to see the best lb on the team and possible the 2nd or 3rd best player on the team cut. When you have other pos. On the team that can be released , Hines, Smith , Farrior to name a few.
Oh I forget, he is to mean for the Rooneys to be left on the team. I guess thats why they got rid of Lambert and Green. Lol

You probably wont see any of those three in the '12 season. Hines maybe, but I think Farrior and Smith will be done. Isn't this the last year of Farrior's contract?

Slapstick
08-05-2011, 12:48 PM
The issue is rarely ever salary cap room in the first year of a new contract...even Woodley's huge new contract reduced his salary cap number from the franchise tage amount in the first year...

It isn't money committed to Hines, Smith and Farrior that will create an obstacle to resigning...it is the larger numbers down the road of players signed to recent contracts (ie. Harrison) that will be problematic...

hawaiiansteel
08-05-2011, 02:28 PM
FRIDAY, AUGUST 05, 2011

Woodley signs, what's next

LaMarr Woodley signed a six-year deal worth $61.5 million to stay in Pittsburgh early Friday morning, also clearing up some cap space for the Steelers.

The question now is who's next?

Both Lawrence Timmons and Troy Polamalu are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents at the conclusion of the 2011 season, while wide receiver Mike Wallace will be restricted.

That's three pretty key components to this team.

Some would argue that if Timmons is now given a long-term deal, it would lock up quite a bit of money at the linebacker position.

James Harrison just signed a six-year, $51.75-million deal a couple of years ago, while James Farrior is pulling down around $2.5 million.

The question is, do they want to take a chance at losing a young star such as Timmons and what exactly is he worth. Do you take the chance on signing him now based on his current level of play or do you roll the dice and if he has a great season, as many expect, does he now cost $10 million per season as well?

Timmons has played well to this point in his career - great in some stretches. But he has yet to do it over the course of a season.

Polamalu, on the other hand, is a completely proven player, albeit one who is going to miss some games here and there. But the Steelers' record with him on the field is remarkably better than it is without him. He's also one of the faces of the franchise, if not the NFL.

It would be hard to imagine him playing elsewhere.

In Wallace, you have a player who took over the No. 1 receiver role in 2010 and is a blossoming star. With Hines Ward near the end of his storied career, it's up to Wallace to become the leader of the wideouts.

The bet here is that the Steelers try to work something out with Timmons and Polamalu now, with Polamalu being the bigger priority.

They could possibly get something done with him before the season begins that will not only lock him up for another four seasons after this one - making that his last contract - but also lower his cap number slightly for this season.

And if they can't get something done with Timmons, they'll have the franchise tag available once the season ends.

As for Wallace, he'll likely become a restricted free agent - though the Steelers will place the highest-level tag on him and continue to work on a new deal.

There's also the chance that the money saved with Woodley's new deal will be used to bring back one of the two offensive tackles cut last week, Max Starks or Flozell Adams.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah, even though Timmons and Wallace are bigger priorities when thinking long-term, I think that Troy will be next to sign. Just like Woodley this year, we can franchise Timmons next year so we don't lose him, then try to work out a long-term deal with a lower cap value than the franchise tag had. Wallace will only be a restricted free agent next year, so you can hold onto him with a high tender (one which would require 1st and 3rd round draft compensation if someone were to sign him to an offer sheet...which we could choose to match anyway). After that, we could try to sign Wallace to a long term deal (and if not, we'd still have the 2013 franchise tag as an option to fall back on, like Woodley in 2011 and Timmons in 2012).

Steelgal
08-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Per tweets from Trib reporter, Troy has subtly hinted that contract negotiations have started with him.

Slapstick
08-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah, even though Timmons and Wallace are bigger priorities when thinking long-term, I think that Troy will be next to sign. Just like Woodley this year, we can franchise Timmons next year so we don't lose him, then try to work out a long-term deal with a lower cap value than the franchise tag had. Wallace will only be a restricted free agent next year, so you can hold onto him with a high tender (one which would require 1st and 3rd round draft compensation if someone were to sign him to an offer sheet...which we could choose to match anyway). After that, we could try to sign Wallace to a long term deal (and if not, we'd still have the 2013 franchise tag as an option to fall back on, like Woodley in 2011 and Timmons in 2012).

Very astute, Ruthless...

By the time the Steelers MUST sign Timmons and Wallace, big salary guys like Hampton (signed through 2012), Clark (signed through 2013), Smith (signed through 2011) and Ward (signed through 2013) will most likely have their cap number reduced one way or another...

flippy
08-05-2011, 05:37 PM
The Steelers probably want to do Timmons now. Timmons probably wants to wait. If we don't sign Timmons this offseason, look for him to be DMVP of the league.

We'll get a much better deal signing him now.

Slapstick
08-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Wood put it on his FB page:

"Wanted yall 2 hear it from me 1st- Drafted here... super bowl here.. will retire here!! now time to get u this 7th trophy!!!! thank u 2 the rooney family, my family, teammates, agent, and all of u!! P.S.-STEELER 4 LIFE!!!!!!" he posted.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/lama ... ook-080511 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/lamarr-woodley-announces-new-pittsburgh-steelers-deal-on-facebook-080511)