PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Seven Players

fordfixer
08-05-2011, 01:44 AM
Steelers Sign Seven Players

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 28c017b4be (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Sign-Seven-Players-/07ff6070-af61-44f3-bc63-d328c017b4be)

The Steelers have signed seven players today, including six unrestricted free agents and one restricted free agent, the team announced. All seven players are permitted to begin practicing with the team immediately.

Cornerback William Gay, defensive tackle Chris Hoke, running back Mewelde Moore and punter Daniel Sepulveda all re-signed one-year deals with the Steelers as unrestricted free agents. Tight end John Gilmore signed a one-year contract with Pittsburgh after spending the last three seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Long snapper Greg Warren, also an unrestricted free agent, signed a two-year deal.

Quarterback Dennis Dixon signed a one-year deal with the Steelers. Dixon was a restricted free agent.

To make room on their roster, the Steelers released offensive tackle Joshua Harrison, quarterback Chris Dieker, long snapper Derek Chard and punter Aaron Bates. The team has also placed offensive lineman Dorian Brooks on the Exempt/Left Squad List and linebacker Erik Clanton on the Waived/Injured List.

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 01:55 AM
Steelers also sign former Pitt guard John Malecki (a Pittsburgh native). He listed at 6'2" 298 lbs.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/13696.png&w=350&h=254

Steelers Notes: Dixon or Batch as third QB?
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com Timesonline.com

LATROBE -- Which of Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch will earn the right to be the Steelers' third-team quarterback?

That debate raged last year in training camp and it's sure to again this year because last year both Dixon and Batch had to play. They were pressed into action early in the season while Ben Roethlisberger served a four-game suspension and Byron Leftwich rehabbed an injured knee.

Dixon, a fifth-round pick in 2008, started the season opener but then suffered a season-ending knee injury in Week 2. Batch, a 36-year-old, 14th-year pro, started the third and fourth games before Roethlisberger returned.

"When I get my practice reps and my number is called, I have to be ready to answer the bell," Dixon said.

After one week of camp, it's Batch who has the early edge. He's been here the whole time. As a restricted free agent who just agreed to a new contract Monday, Dixon wasn't allowed to practice until Thursday.

Plus, there's speculation that the Steelers weren't happy that Dixon was hoping to sign with another team which may have given him a better chance to play.

"My agent and I were looking around for teams but things didn't go as fast as we hoped," Dixon said. "I'm a competitor, and I want to play. So now I'm back here and I just want to get out there and get competitive again."

DABEARD.COM

Last season, Brett Keisel's beard was the talk of the Super Bowl. He's hoping it is again this year.

"The beard is back," said the Steelers' right defensive end.

In June 2010 while on a hunting trip with his father, Keisel didn't shave. In fact, he didn't shave the entire season. Keisel didn't shave his beard until late February as part of a fundraiser for cancer programs at Children's Hospital.

"I'll bet the beard gets as long as it did last year," he said. "Hopefully, we'll still be playing football in February again."

Last year, Keisel went as far as setting up an website for his beard: dabeard.com.

POLAMALU SITS OUT

On Sunday, all-star SS Troy Polamalu said that he's not yet fully recovered from a partially torn Achilles tendon that he suffered late last season.

On Wednesday, Polamalu and linebacker James Harrison were excused from practice.

"I took care of them," said coach Mike Tomlin, who often gives his veterans an occasional day off.

On Thursday, Harrison was back on the practice field. But Polamalu wasn't.

"Another day off," is all Tomlin had to say about Polamalu.

NEWS & NOTES

The Steelers cut four undrafted free agents: OT Joshua Harrison, QB Chris Dieker, LS Derek Chard and P Aaron Bates.

OL Dorian Brooks quit the team while LB Erik Clanton was placed on the waived/injured list.

The Steelers added on OG John Malecki (Franklin Regional/Pitt). Last year, Malecki spent time on the Tampa Bay and Cleveland practice squads.

The Steelers won't practice at St. Vincent College today. Instead, they work out at 7 p.m. at Memorial Stadium in downtown Latrobe.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-notes-dixon-or-batch-as-third-qb/article_74fc49d3-2dfd-5a58-b463-97dd421dee2e.html

hawaiiansteel
08-05-2011, 02:06 AM
The team has also placed offensive lineman Dorian Brooks on the Exempt/Left Squad List

guess Dorian Brooks is calling it a career, he must have seen the handwriting on the wall that he wasn't going to make the team this year.

wasn't he active for the Super Bowl?