PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Worilds: 'My time will come'

fordfixer
08-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Steelers Worilds: 'My time will come'
Thursday, August 04, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11216/1165047-66-0.stm

Jason Worilds has this problem. It is trying to find playing time at a position in the Steelers defense that is harder to crack than the DaVinci Code.

The reason?

He is an outside linebacker, one with enough promise and upside that the Steelers drafted him in the second round in 2010. But he plays behind four-time Pro Bowler James Harrison on the right side of the defense.

If he gets moved to the other side, he is behind left outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who has had three consecutive seasons of double-digit sacks and is ready to get a big multi-year contract as the team's franchise player.

Worse, Harrison and Woodley, who have combined for 71 1/2 sacks since 2008, most by a linebacker tandem in the NFL, almost never come off the field.

"They are two great ones," Worilds said. "They were here before me, they were here first, they made names for themselves. They are great players and they're great mentors. Just to be a part of this Steelers linebacker lineage is an honor. My time will come."

The Steelers would like it to come soon. Worilds (6 feet 2, 257 pounds), a converted defensive end who played at Virginia Tech, will not supplant Harrison or Woodley any time soon. But that doesn't mean the Steelers wouldn't like to be able to get him some playing time, if for no other reason than to give their two starting outside linebackers an occasional rest to keep them as fresh as possible throughout the season.

"He's one of those guys we need to get in, especially early in the season," linebackers coach Keith Butler was saying Wednesday at training camp. "We want to make sure we're fresh at the end of the game, where most games are won. We hope we build enough confidence in him where he can do that. He needs to get our confidence and, if he does, we'll put him in there."

The Steelers talk every season about finding ways to spell Woodley and especially Harrison, who is 33 and coming off double back surgery. But they don't often do it because the players behind them haven't always merited much playing time.

And because Harrison and Woodley generate the most pressure on the quarterback -- a prime requisite for their respective positions in the 3-4 defense.

"They've taken a lot of snaps, especially last year," Butler said. "If we can take some of those snaps off them, get them rested and be able to heighten their performance in the fourth quarter, then that's what we need to do."

Worilds is trying to make that happen. He came to training camp 5 pounds heavier than last season and is noticeably stronger, something he needed to be to compete in the NFL.

But he has retained that quick explosion off the edge, which is why he was converted to outside linebacker. Worilds had 15 1/2 sacks in his career at Virginia Tech, but he also had 34 1/2 tackles for losses.

"The competition is bigger, so, naturally, you have to be bigger," Worilds said. "That's another good thing about me putting on this weight -- I can go out there and impose my will a little bit.

"I want to be able, when my name is called to go in there, to perform to the level of the guys in front of me. We'll see."

Worilds is one of those second-year players whose development was hurt by the lockout because he couldn't work with the coaches after his rookie season. But he has shown enough already at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe that Butler thinks he has made improvement from last season, when he played in 14 of 16 games, mainly on special teams.

"He's got a better idea of what he's supposed to be doing," Butler said. "It would have been nice to have OTAs and minicamps and the offseason with him so we can get some things down pat a little bit. Sometimes, he's still thinking a little bit when he should be playing. But I look for him to be better and be a contributor for us."

If there is room.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11216/11 ... z1U2GVss4Q (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11216/1165047-66-0.stm#ixzz1U2GVss4Q)

hawaiiansteel
08-04-2011, 02:22 AM
the lockout may have hurt Worilds' development as much as any Steelers player but there will be room over the course of a long season for him to play and show what he can do.

Oviedo
08-04-2011, 08:32 AM
I have a feeling that Harrison's 33 year old, surgically repaired back will help Worilds get into the line up sooner rather than later.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-04-2011, 09:03 AM
still wanted mt. cody with that pick.

he showed up in good shape from reading the rats board.

papillon
08-04-2011, 09:45 AM
I have a feeling that Harrison's 33 year old, surgically repaired back will help Worilds get into the line up sooner rather than later.

Yea, I haven't liked the information that has been given about James' health up to this point in training camp. He has said himself that he isn't going to be 100% this season. With Troy potentially not at 100% and Colon recovering from surgery the Steelers are going to start the year with some good to very good players at less than 100%.

Pappy

pittpete
08-04-2011, 10:24 AM

I would bet big $$$$ on this statement
Young man, be ready...
Remember our All-Pro LT?
While not in great a shape as Harrison, Marvel's career was done after lowback surgery.
I say this from experience with 2 lowerback surgeries in my past...

Oviedo
08-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Young man, be ready...
Remember our All-Pro LT?
While not in great a shape as Harrison, Marvel's career was done after lowback surgery.

I have the feeling we will dealing with a "dead money" problem with Mr. Harrison. As determined and hardworking as harrison is when you strat to have back problems things tend to go downhill fast.

Make signing the other two dynamic LBs to long term contract even more of a priority... Woodley and Timmons.

sentinel33
08-04-2011, 10:46 AM
With a Harrison setback I would imagine they would throw Timmons back outside and move Foote or Syl in next to Farrior. Worilds' snaps would still increase without having to throw him in there as a starter. Feels like the safer,smarter move.

fordfixer
08-05-2011, 02:05 AM
Gerry Dulac Sporting News
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... pportunity (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-04/pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-jason-worilds-looking-for-opportunity)

LATROBE, Pa. -- It has been tough to find playing time for OLB Jason Worilds, last year’s No. 2 pick. He plays behind four-time Pro Bowler James Harrison on the right side of the defense and, if he gets moved to the other side, he is behind left outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who has had three consecutive seasons of double-digit sacks.

Worilds, a converted defensive end (6-2, 257), is not going to supplant Harrison or Woodley any time soon. But that doesn’t mean the Steelers wouldn’t like to be able to get him some playing time, if for no other reason than to give their two starting outside linebackers an occasional rest to keep them as fresh as possible throughout the season. Especially with Harrison, who is 33, coming off double back surgery.

Worilds is trying to make that happen. He came to training camp five pounds heavier than last season and he is noticeably stronger, something he needed to do to compete in the NFL. But he still retains that quick explosion off the edge, which is why he was converted to outside linebacker in the Steelers defense.

Notes: Rookie No. 2 pick Marcus Gilbert has been bothered by a hamstring injury and has missed a great opportunity to make an immediate impact. Three tackles -- Willie Colon, Jonathan Scott and Tony Hills -- have been unable to practice because of the new rules regarding free agents. And two other tackles from last season -- Max Starks and Flozell Adams -- have been released, forcing the Steelers to use players out of position for the first week of camp. Without any offseason work with the coaches, Gilbert could have used this time to get reps with the first-team offense and maybe make an immediate splash.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... z1U8ESRNQP (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-04/pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-jason-worilds-looking-for-opportunity#ixzz1U8ESRNQP)

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 02:15 AM
still wanted mt. cody with that pick.

he showed up in good shape from reading the rats board.

Me too, but I also was pushing for Bryan Bulaga over Maurkice Pouncey a round earlier, so I have been wrong before. Hopefully, Worilds proves me wrong yet again.

:tt2 :tt1

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Steelers looking to tap potential of Worilds

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 11, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-08-10/0811SteelWorildsCAPin-a.jpg

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has said he expects players to make the most improvement from their first to second year.

Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler has hardly been subtle in getting that across to 2010 second-round pick Jason Worilds.

"He hasn't appeared in the past to look like he's a guy that's hungry to make the team, and we want him to have that," Butler said. "We want to play him. We don't want to have to take LaMarr (Woodley) and James Harrison and let them play 950 plays this year. We want to be able to put him on the field where he knows the defense well enough that he can run to the football."

With the Steelers' starting linebackers set, one of Butler's top priorities in training camp has been motivating Worilds.

The Steelers lack depth behind Woodley and Harrison, who had two back surgeries during the offseason, and Worilds is the most logical candidate to emerge among an unproven group of outside linebackers.

Worilds has a "burst like Lawrence Timmons," said Butler, and that is saying something considering Timmons is arguably the hardest hitter on a defense that prides itself on physicality.

What Butler has been drilling into Worilds is the importance of playing with more intensity, especially during practices when defenders tag instead of tackle ball carriers.

"He pulls up a little bit too much, like he's been here for 10 years," Butler said. "If he's competitive, he'll get better and be a good player for us. We think he has started to move in that direction."

Worilds, who led the country in quarterback pressures (38) his final season at Virginia Tech, agrees.

"I just need to finish on a consistent basis, no matter what drill it is," said Worilds, who had two sacks last season in limited action.

Worilds suffered a possible setback Wednesday, leaving practice with groin tightness and putting in question his status for the preseason opener Friday at Washington.

Worilds, as Woodley before him, moved from defensive end in college to outside linebacker in the NFL. That transition may be why, Butler acknowledged, Worilds doesn't always play as fast as the coaches would like.

The lockout didn't help him — or any other second-year player Tomlin expects to make a big jump — as it cost Worilds offseason practices and valuable chalkboard sessions with Butler.

Still, Worilds said, he is much more comfortable in the Steelers' defense than he was this time last year.

"Night and day," Worilds said. "I'm not looking around. I can make some of the calls myself. I know where to go."

Butler wants to see Worilds, who comes across as quiet, get there with more urgency, to play with more vigor.

"I've got to pull that out of him," Butler said. "Sometimes it is something you're born with; sometimes it is your circumstances. James Harrison was on the street a couple of times. It made him hungry. A lot of different things motivate guys."

Butler said he is not singling out Worilds as he tries to tap into the potential that prompted the Steelers to make Worilds their second pick in the 2010 draft, after Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

"Nobody has a free ride this year, including me," Butler said. "I've got a room full of (high-priced players). We better produce in that room. That's the nature of this business, and I embrace that, and I've been trying to get him to embrace that."

FAB FOUR

The Steelers have arguably the best linebacking corps in the NFL. Here is a look at their four starters:

James Harrison, ROLB: Entering fifth season as a starter, seventh on Steelers' all-time sacks list with 49.

Lawrence Timmons, RILB: First-round pick in 2007 may be next in line for a long-term contract.

James Farrior, LILB: Ageless wonder is coming off season in which he recorded 109 tackles and six sacks.

LaMarr Woodley, LOLB: Highest-paid defensive player in franchise history.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1Uh3hhpEx (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_751036.html#ixzz1Uh3hhpEx)

phillyesq
08-11-2011, 04:01 PM

Young man, be ready...
Remember our All-Pro LT?

I have the feeling we will dealing with a "dead money" problem with Mr. Harrison. As determined and hardworking as harrison is when you strat to have back problems things tend to go downhill fast.

Make signing the other two dynamic LBs to long term contract even more of a priority... Woodley and Timmons.

We're you proclaiming the end of the road for Harrison before last season as well?

RuthlessBurgher
08-11-2011, 06:40 PM

Young man, be ready...
Remember our All-Pro LT?

We're you proclaiming the end of the road for Harrison before last season as well?

Harrison was an undrafted free agent. Oviedo doesn't like undrafted free agents. :stirpot

Eddie Spaghetti
08-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Harrison was an undrafted free agent. Oviedo doesn't like undrafted free agents. :stirpot

stupid UPS drivers.

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Whose Stock is on the Rise/Fall After First Preseason Game?

By Cian Fahey (Featured Columnist) on August 13, 2011

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/187/157/112141361_display_image.jpg?1313285251

Jason Worilds

I had high hopes for Jason Worilds last night. Those hopes were heightened even further when I saw that he was going to be starting for James Harrison.

Worilds unfortunately couldn't do much with the starting group. That largely wasn't his fault as the veterans looked disinterested until Mike Tomlin had a talk with them during the timeout. By that time the Redskins had driven from their 1-yard line to the Steelers red zone.

Worilds couldn't do much without help from his defensive linemen, but he struggled with the second group as well.

He never made an impact on the game and didn't look strong against the run. He didn't recognize play-action passes on a few occasions, leading to completions going right over his head as opposed to dropping into coverage or pressuring the quarterback.

Worilds has plenty of talent, but solely based on that performance, his stock is certainly falling.

Stock: FALLING

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8042 ... ame/page/6 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/804275-pittsburgh-steelers-6-players-stock-on-the-risefall-after-first-preseason-game/page/6)

papillon
08-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Worilds' time will come, lets just hope it isn't this year.

Pappy

insanesteelersfan
08-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Well, if Worilds fails to improve,,,maybe the Steelers can bring this guy back ?

49ers | Thaddeus Gibson waived
Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:02:33 -0700

The San Francisco 49ers have waived LB Thaddeus Gibson.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: CSNBayArea.com - Matt Maiocco

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1V9I4xtgX

I seem to remember alot of steeler fans were upset that we kept Aaron Smith on the active roster last year, and expossed Gibby to other teams. Well, now here's the Steelers chance :Boobs