PDA

View Full Version : Ravens to suck this year?

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
08-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Ok, I know their not the new Browns but they have lost a number of good players...
Todd Heap
D. Mason
Laundry
A couple of O-Linemen (don't know if they were starters)
Josh Wilson
Doushmanzada

And...They don't have a C

I don't see them to bad this year as they always play us tough but its good to see them missing some key parts----Maybe 9-7 this year?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-03-2011, 11:41 PM
It don't matter, Smashmouth - good, bad, indifferent - we own them like little girls in pink dresses. Purple dresses, I suppose!

hawaiiansteel
08-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Big Snack is going to abuse whoever plays center for the Ratbirds...

Wednesday August 3, 2011

Ravens center Birk to undergo knee surgery

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Baltimore Ravens center Matt Birk is planning to have arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in the next few days, according to his agent.

Birk's agent, Joe Linta, says the six-time Pro Bowl center should be able to return in a few weeks.

The Ravens signed former Washington Redskins center Casey Rabach to a two-year contract on Tuesday to back up Birk, who played in all 16 games for Baltimore last year despite having knee problems.

The 35-year-old Birk has not practiced with the team this week, but hopes to be ready for the Sept. 11 opener against Pittsburgh.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... z1U2GaFddr (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/08/03/matt-birk-surgery.ap/index.html#ixzz1U2GaFddr)

Steelgal
08-04-2011, 07:35 AM
They're hoping to land Osi Uminyora (know I butchered the spelling). I actually found a different Raven's message board and they talk football, not trash-talking. Great place for football discussion. The general feeling is that most are a bit worried about season this year. The starting corner, Foxworth, went down a few days ago with an injury and not sure when he'll be back. Wish they would have re-signed Wilson. Also was going to bring in Rabach to play center for Birk, but he failed a physical yesterday. Outside of Bolden, they have no receivers, other than 2 rookies which are supposably looking great in camp.

If they do get Osi, that will worry me, especially with our o-line. But I don't foresee them being as good as they were last year.

calmkiller
08-04-2011, 07:37 AM
I read rabuach failed his physical due to offseason shoulder surgery.

Oviedo
08-04-2011, 08:26 AM
I think this may be the year that the Ravens take a step backwards.

They have milked Ray Lewis and the rest of the aging defense for all they had. Additionally, they have real problems in their secondary.

Wait...are we talking about the Ravens or the Steelers????? :stirpot

Seriously though it will once again come down to us or them in the AFC North. We have Ben and they have Flacco...'nuf said!!!!!!!!

papillon
08-04-2011, 09:40 AM
The Ravens will not suck or be a mediocre team this year. The demise of their defense has been going on for a couple years now and it hasn't happened. There's no reason to believe that it will begin to deteriorate this year provided they stay healthy.

The offense will be similar to the Steelers and that is inconsistent, but they will put enough points on the board to win games. I see both teams (provided they remain healthy) being in the 11 or 12 win range this year. It will probably come down to tie breakers for the division, holding serve against AFC opponents is going to be crucial to winning the division, IMO.

Pappy

Oviedo
08-04-2011, 10:54 AM
The Ravens will not suck or be a mediocre team this year. The demise of their defense has been going on for a couple years now and it hasn't happened. There's no reason to believe that it will begin to deteriorate this year provided they stay healthy.

The offense will be similar to the Steelers and that is inconsistent, but they will put enough points on the board to win games. I see both teams (provided they remain healthy) being in the 11 or 12 win range this year. It will probably come down to tie breakers for the division, holding serve against AFC opponents is going to be crucial to winning the division, IMO.

Pappy

You are probably right but it would be sweet to see them go 8-8 and us win the AFC North without sweating it out up to the last weekend.

Steelgal
08-04-2011, 02:21 PM
As long as they have Cam Cameron for OC, I feel better about our chances. He's worse than BA. The Rats fans are hoping he allows Flacco to open it up more this year, although 2 of Flaccos favorite targets (Heap, Mason) are now gone.

Slapstick
08-04-2011, 02:28 PM
The Ravens didn't get Osi...the Giants are no longer granting his agent permission to seek a trade...

That's just too bad for the Ravens... :ratsuck

papillon
08-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Pappy

You are probably right but it would be sweet to see them go 8-8 and us win the AFC North without sweating it out up to the last weekend.

Yea it would be nice to capture the title in a walk, but I don't see it happening.

Pappy

sentinel33
08-04-2011, 06:09 PM
I must say, while I don't think the Ravens will be an 8-8 team, I don't see them winning as many games as they did last year(12).

Having lost Heap, McGahee, K. Gregg, L. McClain,

and now probably for sure D. Mason with the Jets releasing J. Cotchery,

there is sure to be a drop off in the offensive production. And I don't see any improvement on the pass rush side of the ball in there camp.

But it's always nasty when we play them, so that road will not get any easier.

Where we may catch a break is when they lose to a sub-par team. one they would've beaten last year, but not this year because of a lack of leadership and veteran play.

Veterans are more important this year than ever. We held fast and re-signed who we needed. No need to bring in free agents that have 4 weeks to pick things up.

If I were a Ravens fan(and I thank God I am not) I'd be a little concerned about the passing attack-
-GONE-Mason,Heap,Stallworth

With only Boldin and Housh with any real production at either the WR or TE position, It's gonna be choppy waters early in Baltimore. Especially with there offensive line woes-Birk having surgery and the #2 C Rabach turning 34 in 7 weeks.

Need to hit 'em hard Week one and show them the long, grinding season they are lookin at.

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 01:37 AM
We re-signed a bunch of our own vets, who already know the system well, and should be able to come out of the gates running.

They cut a bunch of their own vets, and signed players from outside the organization, who will need time to adjust to a new scheme in this abbreviated offseason.

Which team do you think will be better prepare to kick some @$$ during a week 1 showdown? This is the perfect time to draw those bastages right off the bat.

:ratsuck

hawaiiansteel
08-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Ravens’ gamble blows up on them

Posted by Mike Florio on August 6, 2011

Within hours after the new labor deal was struck, the Baltimore Ravens issued a statement from G.M. Ozzie Newsome.

“With this agreement comes a new salary cap, unlike last season when there was no cap,” Newsome said at the time. “We will be making a number of roster moves in the next 48 hours that will free up salary cap space. This will give us the ability to make offers to our players we want to re-sign, plus put us in a position to sign free agents from other teams.”

Though no moves could officially be made for another 72 hours, words quickly began to surface that the Ravens would dump a quartet of proven veterans: running back Willis McGahee, receiver Derrick Mason, tight end Todd Heap, and defensive tackle Kelly Gregg.

The initial thinking was that the Ravens wanted to give the players a chance to get to the market quickly, so that they could realize that the Ravens ultimately would be offering a reduced salary that was at least as competitive as the offers the players could finagle elsewhere.

If that was the plan, it didn’t work.

With Mason picking the Jets over the Ravens and Titans (even though quarterback Joe Flacco and receiver Anquan Boldin wanted Mason to return), all four players have found new teams. Gregg signed with the Chiefs, McGahee signed with the Broncos, and Heap signed with the Cardinals.

So now the theory possibly will be that, like the Patriots, the Ravens decided to move on one year too early instead of one year too late. The only question is whether it’ll be too late for the Ravens to adequately replace the contributions of the four key former veteran who will be making contributions elsewhere.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... p-on-them/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/06/ravens-gamble-blows-up-on-them/)