PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark rips Goodell

Djfan
08-03-2011, 10:09 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Ryan-Clark-rips-NFL-commissioner-Roger-Goodell-080311

PITTSBURGH (AP)

Another Pittsburgh Steeler has some strong words for Roger Goodell.

Steelers at a glance

Pittsburgh Steelers
Looking for more dirt on the Steelers? Get the inside slant, stats, scores, schedules and more scoops right here.

Less than three weeks after linebacker James Harrison made some inflammatory comments about the NFL commissioner to Men's Journal magazine, safety Ryan Clark on Wednesday criticized the power Goodell holds, particularly when it comes to disciplining players.

Clark says he believes Goodell has decided to make himself a major part of the game, calling him the ''most popular — or infamous'' commissioner in sports.

Clark adds that Steelers players likely will not vote to ratify the new collective bargaining agreement unless Goodell's power is limited when it comes to fines or suspensions.

papillon
08-03-2011, 10:21 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Ryan-Clark-rips-NFL-commissioner-Roger-Goodell-080311

PITTSBURGH (AP)

Another Pittsburgh Steeler has some strong words for Roger Goodell.

Steelers at a glance

Pittsburgh Steelers
Looking for more dirt on the Steelers? Get the inside slant, stats, scores, schedules and more scoops right here.

Less than three weeks after linebacker James Harrison made some inflammatory comments about the NFL commissioner to Men's Journal magazine, safety Ryan Clark on Wednesday criticized the power Goodell holds, particularly when it comes to disciplining players.

Clark says he believes Goodell has decided to make himself a major part of the game, calling him the ''most popular — or infamous'' commissioner in sports.

Clark adds that Steelers players likely will not vote to ratify the new collective bargaining agreement unless Goodell's power is limited when it comes to fines or suspensions.

You can't really blame him for saying those things, us, the fans have been saying Goodell has too much power in the NFL.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2011, 11:29 PM
does this mean Ryan Clark wouldn't piss on Goodell if he was on fire either?

http://i52.tinypic.com/jaz1oi.png

virgilbosetti
08-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Reading the article on ESPN.com........it said that clark stood chest to chest with a local radio show host, and that players stepped in to break it up. Anyone know who that host was?

"Another Pittsburgh Steeler has some strong words for Roger Goodell.

I don't know if he had some type of high school dreams or Pop Warner dreams of being an NFL football player, but he's made himself the NFL.

-- Ryan Clark on Roger Goodell

"How often did you hear (former commissioner) Paul Tagliabue's name throughout the season?" Clark said. "I think (Goodell has) decided to make himself a major part of this game. I don't know if he had some type of high school dreams or Pop Warner dreams of being an NFL football player, but he's made himself the NFL. He is the most popular -- or infamous -- commissioner in sports right now, you know? Maybe that's what he wanted to be. We know he doesn't work for us, he doesn't work with us."

Clark added that Steelers players likely will not vote to ratify the new collective bargaining agreement unless Goodell's power is limited when it comes to fines or suspensions.

"He wants to do it his way -- the same way that he has taken over most of this game," Clark said.

Clark took issue when he was asked if he had spoken to Steelers president Art Rooney II about lobbying Goodell on the players' behalf. "I'm talking about the commissioner -- not my owner," Clark said. "Our owner is a good owner."

The line of questioning ultimately led to Clark to become agitated with the reporter who asked it, a Pittsburgh radio talk-show host. The two exchanged words and stood chest-to-chest before team personnel and players broke it up."

hawaiiansteel
08-04-2011, 02:16 AM
Reading the article on ESPN.com........it said that clark stood chest to chest with a local radio show host, and that players stepped in to break it up. Anyone know who that host was?

Clark, journalist exchange words

Steelers safety Ryan Clark and a local radio talk show host had to be separated Wednesday outside the cafeteria at St. Vincent College.

Clark took exception to questions posed by ESPN 970 AM's Joe Bendel about whether grievances with the owners and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell extended to Steelers president Art Rooney II.

Clark praised Rooney, and the situation quickly escalated as he and Bendel exchanged words. A Steelers media relations staffer and safety Will Allen helped defuse the situation, which happened around lunchtime.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1U2IieaLj

Discipline of Steel
08-04-2011, 07:47 AM
does this mean Ryan Clark wouldn't piss on Goodell if he was on fire either?

http://i52.tinypic.com/jaz1oi.png

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/Albert5885/untitled.jpg
Burn, Burn, Let the M_____ F_____ Burn!

I wonder if this issue will produce any results? We know Goodell is disliked by a large majority of the players.

Oviedo
08-04-2011, 08:20 AM
Go ahead Ryan. Join James Harrison at the "Great Windmill Tilting Festival."

All these comments do nothing but continue to reinforce the notion that the Steelers are malcontents. Do you hear any other defensive players constantly whining about Goodell? Ravens? Patriots?

Does anyone really think these comments are going to cause an uprising among the owners (who Goodell works for not the players) and they are going to can him? Sorry, but as much as I dislike Goodell it isn't happening and Goodell will continue to enforce the rules and give out the fines on headshots, etc.

Everyone who complains about this is missing what this is really about. It is about the NFL being sued. The first health/injury due to excessive violence related lawsuit by former plkayers was just filed last month. The NFL, and the commisioner whose job it is to protect the league, is going to do everything they can to demonstrate they are being proactive to protect players against injuries to build their evidence for these court cases.

They aren't backing off on the new rules so quit tilting at windmills and whining and learn to adapt. All you are doing is alerting every NFL officiating crew who is doing one of your games to watch you more closely than the other teams because you are going to thumb your nose at the rules. It's like driving 20 miles over the speed limit because you spend money on a Porsche and daring a cop to give you a ticket.

Slapstick
08-04-2011, 09:52 AM
They aren't backing off on the new rules so quit tilting at windmills and whining and learn to adapt. All you are doing is alerting every NFL officiating crew who is doing one of your games to watch you more closely than the other teams because you are going to thumb your nose at the rules. It's like driving 20 miles over the speed limit because you spend money on a Porsche and daring a cop to give you a ticket.

I disagree...

The Porche scenario is just straight up arrogance...

Goodell is like a cop who first tickets you $120 for going 15 miles over the speed limit and then tickets you $500 for going 5 miles over the speed limit...

Then, he suspends your license because you made a bad headline in the newspaper...

aggiebones
08-04-2011, 02:07 PM
I'd piss on Goddell if he was on fire.

....but I'd light him on fire again afterwards.

feltdizz
08-04-2011, 02:16 PM
These words won't hurt our players once the game starts. We are known to hit hard and play football the way it's supposed to be played. We will get flagged and fined regardless.

Who cares though.. flag us.. fine us.. as long as the opponents feel the pain I'm OK with it.

Discipline of Steel
08-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Everyone who complains about this is missing what this is really about. It is about the NFL being sued. The first health/injury due to excessive violence related lawsuit by former plkayers was just filed last month. The NFL, and the commisioner whose job it is to protect the league, is going to do everything they can to demonstrate they are being proactive to protect players against injuries to build their evidence for these court cases.

Well then the uncloseable can of worms has been opened and all the cats are out of the bag. Im sure there is plenty of evidence out there that indicates football causes injury. If you make rules to eliminate one type of injury, why arent you doing it for all the other injuries? Any injured player will have equal basis for complaint. An overly-litigious and sissy-assed public (and commisioner) will morally destroy the game in the name of risk management then whine when they realize its gone.

flippy
08-04-2011, 09:49 PM
I'd piss on Goddell if he wasn't on fire.

Fixed that for ya.

flippy
08-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Go ahead Ryan. Join James Harrison at the "Great Windmill Tilting Festival."

All these comments do nothing but continue to reinforce the notion that the Steelers are malcontents. Do you hear any other defensive players constantly whining about Goodell? Ravens? Patriots?

Does anyone really think these comments are going to cause an uprising among the owners (who Goodell works for not the players) and they are going to can him? Sorry, but as much as I dislike Goodell it isn't happening and Goodell will continue to enforce the rules and give out the fines on headshots, etc.

Good point. But I think this motivates the Steelers players for some reason, so I say let em have at it if it leads to #7.

I would say it's a little different when a Ryan Clark or Troy P says something about the commission versus James Harrison. James can be written off as a malcontent.

Clark comes off as less emotional and as if he's thought about what he has to say.