PDA

View Full Version : Merrill Hoge rips Tim Tebow

Djfan
08-03-2011, 10:05 PM
http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/football/2011-08-03/story/espn-football-analyst-merril-hoge-rips-tim-tebow

Not everybody is a fan of Tim Tebow.

ESPN football analyst and former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Merril Hoge was highly critical of the former Florida star on Twitter, writing Tebow isn't skilled enough to be Denver Broncos' starting quarterback. Tebow is battling veteran Kyle Orton for the job.

“QB play is not just about who works hard, gives rah-rah speeches, or is a good guy,” Hoge wrote. “Sitting watching tape of Broncos offense from last year. Orton or Tebow? It’s embarrassing to think the Broncos could win with Tebow.”

Hoge also criticized the throwing motion and accuracy of the former Nease High and Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback.

“I just watched Tebow throw five out routes to a wide-open receiver,” Hoge wrote. “He was 1 for 5! Two went in dirt, two in stands. ... College credentials do not transfer to NFL. ... You must possess a skill set to play. Tebow struggles with accuracy!”

Tebow did not immediately respond to Hoge.

Hoge isn’t the only media member critical of Tebow.

“I’ve covered pro football more than 23 years, and I’ve never seen a bigger disconnect between what a majority of fans want and what is actually happening on the field with the local NFL team,” wrote Denver Post beat writer Jeff Legwold. “Tebow hasn’t been the Broncos’ best quarterback at training camp. He’s behind veteran Kyle Orton, and the gap isn’t small.”

I can't help but wonder if Morman Man is not happy about Bible Boy.

papillon
08-03-2011, 10:17 PM
http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/football/2011-08-03/story/espn-football-analyst-merril-hoge-rips-tim-tebow

ESPN football analyst and former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Merril Hoge was highly critical of the former Florida star on Twitter, writing Tebow isn't skilled enough to be Denver Broncos' starting quarterback. Tebow is battling veteran Kyle Orton for the job.

“QB play is not just about who works hard, gives rah-rah speeches, or is a good guy,” Hoge wrote. “Sitting watching tape of Broncos offense from last year. Orton or Tebow? It’s embarrassing to think the Broncos could win with Tebow.”

Hoge also criticized the throwing motion and accuracy of the former Nease High and Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback.

“I just watched Tebow throw five out routes to a wide-open receiver,” Hoge wrote. “He was 1 for 5! Two went in dirt, two in stands. ... College credentials do not transfer to NFL. ... You must possess a skill set to play. Tebow struggles with accuracy!”

“I’ve covered pro football more than 23 years, and I’ve never seen a bigger disconnect between what a majority of fans want and what is actually happening on the field with the local NFL team,” wrote Denver Post beat writer Jeff Legwold. “Tebow hasn’t been the Broncos’ best quarterback at training camp. He’s behind veteran Kyle Orton, and the gap isn’t small.”

I don't know about the religion aspect between the two, but Hoge hits it on the head, he just delivers the criticism poorly and sounds bitter.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
08-03-2011, 10:26 PM
He would LOVE Tebow if he was our starting QB.

As much as we bash the biases of other players/commentators, Hoge is the BIGGEST HOMER in broadcast history. :)

We just dont see it because we tend to agree.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-03-2011, 11:45 PM

Not everybody is a fan of Tim Tebow...

“I’ve covered pro football more than 23 years, and I’ve never seen a bigger disconnect between what a majority of fans want and what is actually happening on the field with the local NFL team,” wrote Denver Post beat writer Jeff Legwold...

That must be a pretty big disconnect, I seem to remember the Stains were awfully hepped up on Zorro, The Gay Blade of Notre Dame, a few years ago ...

hawaiiansteel
08-04-2011, 03:00 AM
August 4, 2011

LeBron James supports Tim Tebow

ESPN.com news services

Opinion on Tim Tebow's NFL future is clearly divided, but count LeBron James among the many fans of the former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback.

James took to Twitter on Wednesday, supporting Tebow and proclaiming, "Tim Tebow will succeed in the NFL. He's a hard worker, a student of the game, a natural born leader and most of all a WINNER! It takes time and he'll be nice."

James' tweets were in response to comments from ESPN NFL analyst Merril Hoge's criticism of Tebow earlier Wednesday on Twitter and "SportsCenter."

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/1966.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=false

“Tim Tebow will succeed in the NFL. He's a hard worker, a student of the game, a natural born leader and most of all a WINNER! It takes time and he'll be nice.”
-- LeBron James on Twitter

Hoge wrote on Twitter: "Sitting watching tape off bronco offense from last year! Orton or Tebow? It's embarrassing to think the broncos could win with tebow!!"

Appearing on "SportsCenter" on Wednesday, Hoge, a former running back with the Pittsburgh Steelers, had harsh words for Tebow.

"He is awful as far as accuracy goes and what's kind of even more disturbing, he's probably worse moving and running around with the football and throwing than he is from the pocket," Hoge said. "Can you get better there? A little bit. If everything is perfect, the pocket, your feet are good, all your fundamentals come into place, the coverage is what you want it, you can be successful. But that doesn't happen at the National Football League. Rarely does that happen."

James, the Miami Heat star who has dealt with his own share of media criticism, then used Twitter to back Tebow late Wednesday night.

"Listened to Merril Hoge today on SC and he was just blasting Tebow. The man hasn't even play a full season and its only his 2nd year in," James wrote. "Guys get on that TV and act like they was all WORLD when they played. How bout encouraging him and wishing him the best instead of hating!!"

Tebow, who is entering his second season with the Denver Broncos, responded to Hoge as well on Twitter, saying, "Hey Merril...... 'ppreciate that."

Tebow and veteran Kyle Orton are currently battling for Denver's No. 1 quarterback job. Thus far in training camp, Orton has taken almost all of the snaps with the first team in practice, while Tebow has been splitting second-team reps with Brady Quinn.

However, new Broncos coach John Fox maintained Wednesday that he hasn't made up his mind about the starter and the battle is ongoing.

"My story's been the same regardless of what you hear," Fox said. "And I'm in those meetings every day and know what's said to everybody. Nothing's changed. We've been singing the same song as seven months ago."

League sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter last week that the Broncos and Miami Dolphins were discussing a Orton trade, but talks fell apart. The Dolphins eventually signed veteran quarterback Matt Moore to compete with Chad Henne.

Orton, due $8.829 million this season, received a $1.5 million roster bonus Friday, a source told ESPN NFL business analyst Andrew Brandt, greatly reducing the chances he will be dealt.

Tebow has become a fan favorite in Denver since former coach Josh McDaniels traded three draft picks to select the passionate but unpolished Tebow in the first round last year. By training camp, however, it was obvious that Tebow was a project and Orton was the far better quarterback. Orton signed an $8 million extension for 2011 during training camp and then completed nearly 60 percent of his passes for 3,653 yards and 20 touchdowns with nine interceptions before Tebow took over for the final three games as the Broncos' disappointing season dwindled to an eventual 4-12 finish.

The Broncos' top wide receiver, Brandon Lloyd, spent a part of his locked-out offseason working out with Tebow in an effort to better their chemistry. When the lockout ended and the Broncos reported for camp on July 27, Lloyd described Orton's presence as awkward.

On Monday, Lloyd alluded to the mile-high controversy as "the Tebow Thing."

"They'll put Kyle on the trading block because they don't want to deal with the Tebow Thing," Lloyd told SI.com. "But it's not going to end until (Tebow) plays. The faster they get this Tebow Thing over with, one way or the other ..."

Tebow, who has attempted to change his much-criticized slingshot-like throwing motion, went 1-2 as a rookie, completing 41 of 82 passes for 654 yards, five TDs and three interceptions with six sacks. He also rushed for 227 yards and six scores.

Despite his mixed on-field success, Tebow's off-field profile continued to grow. He landed an advertising campaign with Jockey in March and his memoir "Through My Eyes" debuted at No. 6 on the New York Times bestseller list. Tebow's jersey has also been among the most-popular on NFLShop.com.

McDaniels also acquired Orton throw trade, adding him in the Jay Cutler trade two years ago. He has amassed 7,455 yards passing and 41 touchdowns as the Broncos' starter over the last two seasons but won just 11 of 29 starts.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68324 ... -tim-tebow (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6832410/lebron-james-uses-twitter-support-tim-tebow)

feltdizz
08-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Hoge sounds like he is sick of the Tebow hype. I completely agree with Hoge but he sure was harsh about it....

Tebow gets a ton of love but his skill set as a QB is pretty garbage.

He has the "rah rah" and the "will to win" but it's not pretty at all to watch. He reminds me of Vince Young without the meltdowns.. VY has a decent record as a starter but his passing game is ugly as hell.

Shawn
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
I so hope that Tebow becomes a terrific QB and quiets his critics.

papillon
08-04-2011, 04:04 PM

I hope he is successful as well; but right now his ability to quarterback an NFL team isn't very good. I know he has the drive to work hard, but trying to make up for the lack of quarterbacking skills from the past 10 years in 1, 2 or 3 years is a tall order.

Quarterbacks that have trained to be a quarterback and worked on pro-style mechanics are way ahead of Tebow. We'll see what happens with him and the hype for a player that isn't ready for prime time is over the top.

Pappy

Notleadpoisoned
08-04-2011, 05:56 PM

So Hoge is a Mormon? Maybe he considers the Steve Young/Tim Tebow comparisons to be some form of blasphemy, who the hell knows?

Captain Lemming
08-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Year Conf Class Pos Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
2006 SEC FR QB 22 33 66.7 358 10.8 12.5 5 1 201.7
2007 SEC SO QB 234 350 66.9 3286 9.4 10.4 32 6 172.5
2008 SEC JR QB 192 298 64.4 2746 9.2 10.6 30 4 172.4
2009 SEC SR QB 213 314 67.8 2895 9.2 9.8 21 5 164.2

Career 661 995 66.4 9285 9.3 10.4 88 16 170.8

Dude was pretty inaccurate in college :)

flippy
08-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Some of the reaction got funny today. Can't remember who said it, but someone said something along the lines of McNabb couldn't hit the side of a barn with a pass but he still made it to a SuperBowl.

Also heard Hoge defending his position more and he really broke it down explaining the differences between college and pro hash marks being the key and because of the tighter hash marks, QBs have to have strong arms and be accurate and Timmy T has neither.

I've always thought the guy should make a position switch and he could be a great HBack and situational/goal line QB.

But there'd be no money in that. So he's better off seeking the QB money. Money screws up everything. Tebow probably coulda had a shot of being a really good football player. But he chose to be a lousy QB for the money. Doesn't seem like the Christian decision - but that's another topic completely.

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 01:25 AM
Kyle Orton is getting the shaft in all this. Fans want Tebow, so Orton was publicly dangled out there for the Dolphins to bid on. To me, Orton is a much better NFL QB than Tebow and it isn't even close. To use comparisons from their respective alma maters, Orton seems like poor man's Drew Brees, and Tebow seems like a rich man's Danny Wuerffel.

feltdizz
08-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Some of the reaction got funny today. Can't remember who said it, but someone said something along the lines of McNabb couldn't hit the side of a barn with a pass but he still made it to a SuperBowl.

Also heard Hoge defending his position more and he really broke it down explaining the differences between college and pro hash marks being the key and because of the tighter hash marks, QBs have to have strong arms and be accurate and Timmy T has neither.

I've always thought the guy should make a position switch and he could be a great HBack and situational/goal line QB.

But there'd be no money in that. So he's better off seeking the QB money. Money screws up everything. Tebow probably coulda had a shot of being a really good football player. But he chose to be a lousy QB for the money. Doesn't seem like the Christian decision - but that's another topic completely.

Tebow had the SEC hype and CBS was screaming TEEEEBOWWWW WOWWWW during Arkansas vs. LSU games.

The kid was hyped so much you either cheer for him or against him. How many projected second round QB's dominate the NFL draft discussion? To make matters worse JOsh McDaniels bets the house on him so the pressure was really on Tebow to be more than what he is....

Tebow's claim to fame is running over LB's in college in short yardage situations. That's cool if you want to be a FB but if you are going to be a QB the 15 yard out is the most important thing.

Tim Tebow is a part of the Notre Dame QB type hype... lately ND has put out some stinkers but on draft day people were talking like these guys were the future. I seriously doubt Tebow will be a successful QB unless someone runs the same O as in college. The only problem is the beating he will take will be 10X worse.

flippy
08-05-2011, 09:40 AM

Tebow had the SEC hype and CBS was screaming TEEEEBOWWWW WOWWWW during Arkansas vs. LSU games.

The kid was hyped so much you either cheer for him or against him. How many projected second round QB's dominate the NFL draft discussion? To make matters worse JOsh McDaniels bets the house on him so the pressure was really on Tebow to be more than what he is....

Tebow's claim to fame is running over LB's in college in short yardage situations. That's cool if you want to be a FB but if you are going to be a QB the 15 yard out is the most important thing.

Tim Tebow is a part of the Notre Dame QB type hype... lately ND has put out some stinkers but on draft day people were talking like these guys were the future. I seriously doubt Tebow will be a successful QB unless someone runs the same O as in college. The only problem is the beating he will take will be 10X worse.

Heard Hoge also mention that guys will want to get more hard shots on Tebow just because of all the hype.

papillon
08-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Was Tebow really rated as a second round talent at quarterback? That seems shocking in itself. I had just assumed that Denver reached higher than any team ever has for a player. His quarterbacking skills are so far behind all the starting NFL quarterbacks and probably a majority of the backups as well that I just assumed he had to be graded as a 4th or later pick.

Pappy

Slapstick
08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Was Tebow really rated as a second round talent at quarterback? That seems shocking in itself. I had just assumed that Denver reached higher than any team ever has for a player. His quarterbacking skills are so far behind all the starting NFL quarterbacks and probably a majority of the backups as well that I just assumed he had to be graded as a 4th or later pick.

Pappy

It depended on who you listened to...

There is usually consensus on where a Heisman Trophy winner should be drafted (ie. Reggie Bush was a consensus first round player)...

Tebow, not so much and that was due to his QB skills...

People who thought "He's a winner!" went with 1st-2nd round....people who thought "That was college!" (like Hogie) thought much later...

NorthCoast
08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
All the Tebow hype will fade with mounting losses by Denver if he starts and struggles. In the meantime, sit back and watch the show....

hawaiiansteel
08-05-2011, 02:07 PM
August 5, 2011

Tim Tebow vows to 'become stronger'

ESPN.com news services

Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow was adamant in firing back at his detractors Thursday, saying criticism over his NFL potential was unwarranted and that none of the resulting distractions will be a deterrent.

In the face of perceived setbacks for a former first-round draft pick, Tebow stood steadfast during an interview with The Denver Post.

"I'm trying to insulate myself from what people in the media are saying, but I've seen some of it, and it hurts because it's coming from people who haven't seen me practice, haven't seen me play, haven't seen what I can do," Tebow told the newspaper. "I did an interview the other day with someone on the NFL Network who said last year I'd never play a down in the NFL. He was wrong.

"Others who say I won't make it are wrong. They don't know what I'm capable of and what's inside me. My family and my friends have been bothered by what's gone on, and I tell them to pay no attention to it. I'm relying as always on my faith."

It's been a rough week for Tebow.

ESPN NFL analyst Merril Hoge said on Twitter that "it's embarrassing to think the broncos could win with tebow." Tebow was reminded of the NFL Network prediction that he'd never play a down as a pro. And he continued to practice with the reserves at training camp, despite starting the final three games for Denver last season.

But Tebow vowed to emerge a better quarterback.

"I'll always use the negativity as more motivation to work even harder and become even stronger," Tebow told The Denver Post Thursday. "I'll practice as good as I can, but I know that I play even better, with the qualities I have -- leadership, my ability to make something happen in games, winning.

"And I know there are a lot of people who believe in me as a player and a person, and I don't want to let them down."

On Wednesday, after taking to Twitter, Hoge offered a scathing on-air critique of Tebow's skill set and how it translates to the NFL.

"He is awful as far as accuracy goes and what's kind of even more disturbing, he's probably worse moving and running around with the football and throwing than he is from the pocket," Hoge said on ESPN's "SportsCenter."

"Can you get better there? A little bit. If everything is perfect, the pocket, your feet are good, all your fundamentals come into place, the coverage is what you want it, you can be successful. But that doesn't happen at the National Football League. Rarely does that happen."

Hoge also appeared Thursday on ESPN's "Mike and Mike in the Morning," saying: "They think it's a personal attack. It's purely a football evaluation ... I never said he's a bad guy. In fact, I know he's a great guy. I've met him. It's a football evaluation based on over 25 years of studying this league, working in this league."

Hoge added that part of Tebow's issue is where he was drafted -- the first round.

"The skill set he possessed in college is not a first-round grade. No how. No way," Hoge said.

The Broncos have said Kyle Orton will remain the starting quarterback until he fails to perform up to expectations and Tebow or Brady Quinn is duly promoted.

In speaking with the Denver newspaper, Tebow said the end of last season was uplifting as he finished atop the Broncos' depth chart before an offseason that saw coach Josh McDaniels fired and former Carolina Panthers coach John Fox hired.

"My dream, since I was a young boy, of being a starting quarterback in the NFL seemed to be coming true," Tebow said.

"Then, I felt like it was grabbed back away."

Tebow said he has struggled at times in camp but was confident of his overall performance.

"I didn't have a good day on the field (last) Saturday, but I think in the other practices I've thrown well and improved each day," he said.

Orton was injured at the end of the season, and for three games, Tebow provided a sample of his competitive swagger and unmatched popularity. But lost in translation was that Orton, despite his team's struggle to win games, had been throwing the ball at a career clip. He finished with a 58.8 percent completion percentage in 13 games, throwing for 20 touchdowns and 3,653 yards to go with nine interceptions before sitting out December.

"Some of the changes that are being made are going to help us in the run game and protection-wise," Orton said Thursday. "And, like I said, I think we can throw the ball against anybody. We've got guys that can get open and get the ball to them. I think if we can improve in those areas, we're going to be a tough offense to stop."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/s ... capable-of (http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6836076/denver-broncos-tim-tebow-says-critics-know-capable-of)

Shoe
08-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Hoge's comments were blunt, but nothing he said was remotely out of bounds. The only reason it's getting so much play is because most analysts refuse to make HONEST appraisals of player's abilities. I don't know... maybe that's really not their job (i.e. their job is to just talk). Hoge gave exactly what a scout, an (actual) ANALYST would give.

Or maybe people just don't want to look stupid, if/when said player succeeds. Merril just lays it out there, and for that reason, I really respect his commentary because it's not just the rambling, talk-for-minutes-but-say-nothing-I-don't-know commentary that dominates airwaves.

Slapstick
08-05-2011, 02:15 PM
"I'm trying to insulate myself from what people in the media are saying, but I've seen some of it, and it hurts because it's coming from people who haven't seen me practice, haven't seen me play, haven't seen what I can do," Tebow told the newspaper. "I did an interview the other day with someone on the NFL Network who said last year I'd never play a down in the NFL. He was wrong.

"Others who say I won't make it are wrong. They don't know what I'm capable of and what's inside me. My family and my friends have been bothered by what's gone on, and I tell them to pay no attention to it. I'm relying as always on my faith."

I hope he's not talking about Hoge...

All Hoge has to go on is the tape of Tebow...the tape doesn't lie...

Djfan
08-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Tebow probably coulda had a shot of being a really good football player. But he chose to be a lousy QB for the money. Doesn't seem like the Christian decision - but that's another topic completely.

You ever heard of the "Straw Man" fallacy?

BTW, everyone, the whole Morman/Christian comment was a joke. Please collectively un-bunch the panties.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-06-2011, 09:41 PM
It's a little too early to close the door on Tebow's chances of success in the NFL, IMO.

Design an offense that will accentuate his strengths and minimize exposing his weaknesses, and I wouldn't want to bet against him.