PDA

View Full Version : CBA Problem--May not be ratified

Oviedo
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Just heard on ESPN1250. Players may not ratify over issues with discipline policy with Goodell involved. Players currently in camp wouldn't be affected but free agents who signed new contracts like Ike would not be allowed to report because the "league year" would not officially start.

This was from Ed Boutette via Ryan Clark, the player rep for the team.

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Just heard on ESPN1250. Players may not ratify over issues with discipline process with Goodell involved. Players currently in camp wouldn't be affected but free agents who signed new contracts like Ike would not be allowed to report because the "league year" would not officially start.

You forgot to mention that DeMaurice Smith is the anti-Christ. You are slipping, man. :wink:

Oviedo
08-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Just heard on ESPN1250. Players may not ratify over issues with discipline process with Goodell involved. Players currently in camp wouldn't be affected but free agents who signed new contracts like Ike would not be allowed to report because the "league year" would not officially start.

You forgot to mention that DeMaurice Smith is the anti-Christ. You are slipping, man. :wink:

I just thought that was such a well established point of fact it did not bear repeating. Like I said long ago, get rid of both Goodell and Smith and many problems would go away.

Oviedo
08-03-2011, 01:08 PM
As they discuss it more it appears to be a "Steeler's problem" not a league wide problem. Ryan Clark was the one interviewed and did not refer to other teams.

CBA only needs 50% plus one vote to be approved. I'm sure it will be.

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Ryan Clark: Goodell’s disciplinary power will hold up CBA ratification

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2011

From the day the owners and players agreed on a deal to end the lockout, it has been widely believed that the new Collective Bargaining Agreement would be ratified by August 4. But it’s now August 3, and ratification is no sure thing.

In fact, Steelers defensive back Ryan Clark, the team’s NFLPA representative, says that unless NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is willing to budge on matters of player discipline, the CBA won’t be ratified tomorrow.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Clark said today he thinks the issue could affect all the recently signed free agents around the league. Under the rules the owners and players agreed to when the lockout ended, those players can’t practice until the new CBA is ratified.

The failure to ratify the CBA wouldn’t be a disaster — it wouldn’t create another work stoppage — but it would represent a disappointing step backward for the NFL. And it would be troubling for the players who signed new contracts since the lockout ended, and for the teams that are counting on those players.

So while the owners and the players seem to be mostly on the same page about the league’s finances going forward, they’re not on the same page regarding player discipline. That’s an issue where many players still lack confidence in Goodell.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ification/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/03/ryan-clark-goodells-disciplinary-power-will-hold-up-cba-ratification/)

flippy
08-03-2011, 02:15 PM
The longer this thing drags out, the better it is for us since we have mostly the same players and coaches from last year.

This will hurt the teams with new coaches, systems, and players more.

Discipline of Steel
08-03-2011, 03:38 PM
The issue of Goodell ruining the game > the CBA

chiken
08-03-2011, 07:35 PM
The longer this thing drags out, the better it is for us since we have mostly the same players and coaches from last year.

This will hurt the teams with new coaches, systems, and players more.

I dont know man, How many of our offensive line guys are not in the line up. Those Cats need to Gel and they cant do that yet... They need to spend as much time as possible together.

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Source: Goodell refuses to yield authority over personal conduct policy

Posted by Mike Florio on August 3, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/goodellapjuly251-e1312415279283.jpg?w=227

As the deadline for getting the CBA completed in order to allow free agents to participate in practice on Thursday inches closer and closer, a source with knowledge of the dynamics of the discussions tells us that one issue has emerged as the source of a potential impasse.

Per the source, Commissioner Roger Goodell refuses to surrender full control of the league’s personal conduct policy.

Since inception of the rule that exposes players and other team and league employees to discipline for off-field conduct, regardless of whether an arrest or conviction arises, Goodell has had the ability both to impose a penalty and to preside over the appeals process. Though former NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw willingly gave Goodell that power, the players generally have decided after several years of incidents and enforcements that they want someone other than Goodell or an employee of the league office to have final say over each and every fine or suspension imposed.

But Goodell won’t yield, despite the loud objections of the recently-reconstituted NFLPA. As the source explains it, it’s perceived that Goodell views the personal conduct policy as “his baby,” and that he doesn’t want to yield in any way the exclusive ability to mete out punishment.

Though we’re a very long way from a return of the lockout, the two sides need to find a way out of this maze in order to let the League Year begin. At some point, owners (who currently are working on getting their teams ready on a compressed basis for the 2011 season) may need to get involved.

If they do, there’s no guarantee that owners will back Goodell. We’re told that teams generally don’t care about the personal conduct policy, and that many teams would prefer to have the ability to decide on their own whether and to what extent a player who gets in trouble away from work should be in trouble at work.

Regardless of how it turns out, that’s the main issue preventing this thing from finally getting done.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ct-policy/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/03/source-goodell-refuses-to-yield-authority-over-personal-conduct-policy/)

Djfan
08-03-2011, 10:00 PM

This.

He has demonstrated over and over again that he is unfit as a leader in this (and many other) areas.

Ovi - I would gladly have Smith go if it would mean Goodell goes, too. I just think Goodell is bad for the game. The next commish will have some repairs to do. I hope the new one gets busy on that soon.

fordfixer
08-04-2011, 01:34 AM
On the Steelers: Clark says CBA not likely to be settled by today as planned
Thursday, August 04, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11216/1165046-66-0.stm

Gentlemen, cool your engines. What was supposed to be the start of the NFL calendar year and the unleashing of all those veteran players not permitted to practice the past week, may have to wait.

The Steelers were the first in the league to sound the alarm Wednesday that players might not approve the new collective bargaining agreement as expected today because those "minor" issues that were supposed to be cleared up over the past 10 days have not been.

Ryan Clark, the Steelers' representative on the NFL Players Association, said they want to change the system in which players are disciplined by the league. And Charlie Batch, on the NFLPA executive board, said there are a number of issues that have to be solved before the players can approve a deal the owners approved unanimously.

"We need some things to be collectively bargained in good faith in totality to get this deal done," Clark said.

The owners and players reached a settlement to end the lockout and open training camp after they agreed on most of the details of the new collective bargaining agreement. The players agreed to recertify as a union, which they did last weekend, and the owners agreed to come to terms on the final remaining points. Among those yet to be decided is the power of commissioner Roger Goodell to levy punishment under his personal conduct policy, issues regarding concussions and when players can return and who decides that, and whether players who previously had strikes against them under the drug policy start with a clean slate.

Batch and Clark said the owners were the ones who decided the new calender year would begin Thursday, even though the players wanted agreements on the outstanding issues before they voted.

"There's a so-called deadline the NFL gave to everyone when we reported to training camp that this date they will have everything done," Batch said. "So I think ultimately it's up to them to basically fulfill their end of the bargain, make sure they come through and get the deal done tomorrow."

Until the players ratify the CBA, no player who signed contracts over the past 10 days -- since the lockout ended -- can practice. Technically, they all remain free agents.

The 15 Steelers with new contract agreements waiting on the sideline to start practice once the new CBA is ratified are Ike Taylor, William Gay, Willie Colon, Jonathan Scott, Mewelde Moore, Chris Hoke, Dennis Dixon, John Gilmore, Tony Hills, Doug Legursky, Ryan Mundy, Shaun Suisham, Daniel Sepulveda, Jeremy Kapinos and Greg Warren. None of their contracts -- after being restricted, unrestricted or exclusive rights free agents -- can officially be filed as signed with the league until the new calendar year.

"I didn't expect to be standing here today having to talk about this," Clark said. "I thought that Ike Taylor, Willie Gay and Willie Colon would be at practice tomorrow. But, right now, that doesn't seem like the case. So we just have to push through and see what's next in this process."

If they don't start practicing soon, those 15 likely will miss the first preseason game in Washington Aug. 12. Both Batch and Clark said the preseason games are not in jeopardy themselves. They do not foresee the owners locking them out again over these final issues, but those players without an official contract remain locked out of practice.

Clark sees Goodell's authority to punish players under his personal conduct policy as the major sticking point.

"Just one issue that's extremely poignant and important to me is the fine policy, the personal conduct policy, the fact Roger Goodell gets to make these decisions whenever he wants, how he wants and the way he wants and really not have to answer to anyone. We really want some type of way, whether it's player involvement, [NFLPA] involvement, someone else on that committee besides Roger Goodell."

Under the personal conduct policy, the commissioner unilaterally instituted without bargaining, Goodell has the power to discipline players he judges as violating the policy. An example was his four-game suspension of Ben Roethlisberger to start last season, even though Roethlisberger was never charged with a crime. Appeals of Goodell's punishment go to a high-ranking NFL lawyer, Adolpho Birch. The players scoff at such a system because Birch, in essence, works for Goodell, and they see it as nothing but a rubber stamp.

"Who writes his checks?" Clark asked.

"We just want somebody who sees it from our point of view or even a situation to where there is a strict fine policy, where there is black and white -- 'this is how things are going to go.' "

Clark also would like to see a better system for dealing out fines for on-field infractions. As currently constituted, Ray Anderson and Merton Hanks of the league's football operations office issue those fines. Appeals are heard by former coaches Art Shell and Ted Cottrell, who were appointed by and paid for mutually by the league office and the players association. Each pays half the cost.

Clearly, though, the players want a different system, one that reduces Goodell's role.

"I didn't say I didn't want him as a part of it, I just said I didn't want him to be the whole part," Clark said. "Right now, he doesn't want anybody else on it. He wants to do it his way, I think the way that he has taken over most of this game."

Although Clark did not speak as strongly as James Harrison did in a recent magazine article in which he criticized Goodell, he was not kind when he spoke of him Wednesday.

"I think he's decided to make himself a major part of this game," Clark said. "I don't know if he had some type of high school dreams or Pop Warner dreams of being an NFL football player, but he has made himself the NFL. He is the most popular or infamous commissioner in sports right now.

"Maybe that's what he wanted to be."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11216/11 ... z1U2G7QsSS (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11216/1165046-66-0.stm#ixzz1U2G7QsSS)

fordfixer
08-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Steelers do not appear ready to back CBA
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 4, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 49908.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749908.html)

If other NFL players feel as strongly as the Steelers do about unresolved issues in the collective bargaining agreement, there could be a delay to the start of the league's calendar year.

And that would mean more waiting around for cornerback Ike Taylor and right tackle Willie Colon.

They are among the free agents scheduled to start practicing Thursday but who still will be in limbo if the CBA isn't officially approved by players.

The latest labor complications aren't expected to compromise preseason games or lead to another work stoppage. The players, however, could pass on voting on it today — even though the NFL had hoped for ratification by 4 p.m. of the deal that will guarantee at least 10 years of labor peace.

Steelers union representative Ryan Clark said Wednesday that drug testing and the latitude NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has in disciplining players are among issues that need to be resolved.

"For us, with Roger Goodell having total control over the fine process, that's a deal-breaker for us," Clark said.

The latter issue, in particular, resonates with the Steelers since outside linebacker James Harrison was fined four times last season for $100,000 for unnecessary roughness.

Steelers players are advocating for guidelines that establish what players can be fined for as far as on-field hits and how much they can be fined.

They also want more of a say in the appeals process.

"Right now we have a bull's-eye on our chest, especially James, so we'd obviously like some more people to assess it before fines are handed out," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "Roger has all of the power. Basically right now you can just get fined for sneezing, if he wants."

Goodell reiterated the expectation an agreement would be finalized on time.

"That's certainly our intention," he said yesterday while visiting the Carolina Panthers

Players could vote on the CBA today, and it still could be ratified even if every Steelers player in the union votes against it.

There are about 1,900 players in the union, and only a majority has to approve for the CBA to go into effect. The league won't start its calendar year until the CBA has officially been approved. Any player who was a free agent is not allowed to practice until the NFL's new year begins.

Clark said when he voted to accept the new CBA on July 25, following a recommendation to do so by NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith and the executive committee, he expected Goodell and the owners would negotiate "in good faith."

But, he said, no progress has been made on the issue of the fines and appeals process.

Goodell has the power to discipline players for violating the league's personal conduct policy. Appeals are heard by an NFL lawyer.

Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of operations, and Merton Hanks, director of football operations, handle discipline for on-field conduct. An appeal is heard by Art Shell and Ted Cottrell, who were appointed by the NFL and NFLPA. Both are paid by the NFL and NFLPA, a league spokesman said.

Clark, while noting Shell's background as a player and coach, said those who are part of the appeals process are nevertheless too close to the league.

"So many of those once separated from football in a certain way, they see it differently, and if I'm sitting next to Roger Goodell, I may see it differently, too," Clark said. "But I'm not. I'm sitting with James Harrison, who's getting fined $75,000 for one game."

Issues such as league discipline and drug testing could not be collectively bargained until the players recertified as a union — something they agreed to do after owners ended a four-month lockout.

Charlie Batch, a member of the NFLPA executive committee, said the return of football overshadowed the reality that the owners and players still had work to do before the CBA was completed.

Clark said he won't be comfortable ratifying the CBA until there is more of a check on Goodell's power.

"He wants to do it his way," Clark said. "How often did you hear (Goodell predecessor) Paul Tagliabue's name throughout the season? Hardly ever, other than it being on the ball.

"I think (Goodell has) decided to make himself a major part of this game. I don't know if he had some type of high school dreams or Pop Warner dreams of being an NFL football player, but he's made himself the NFL. He's the most popular or infamous commissioner in sports right now."

Read more: Steelers do not appear ready to back CBA - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1U2I4Zs9P (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749908.html#ixzz1U2I4Zs9P)

fordfixer
08-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Steelers players looking for the green light
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 4, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 49914.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749914.html)

Ike Taylor opted for a traffic analogy when asked Wednesday about his unique situation.

"When they give me the green light, I'm going to be ready," the Steelers cornerback said. "For now, I guess it's a yellow light."

Taylor and other players who had been free agents are not allowed to practice until the new collective bargaining agreement is ratified, something that could happen Thursday.

The absence of such players has been noticeable in early training camp practices.

The Steelers' starting offensive tackles have been Kyle Jolly, who was on the practice squad in 2010, and Chris Scott, who wasn't active for any games last season.

Cornerback Niles Brinkley, a rookie free agent, has worked with the first team because of injuries and the fact Taylor and William Gay are spectators until the start of the NFL's new year, which doesn't begin until the CBA is ratified.

As for what will happen if players miss more practice time, Ryan Clark, the Steelers' union representative, said, "Each person is different. Honestly, I could play a game tomorrow, condition-wise, football-wise, knowing the system. I feel like Ike Taylor could not practice the whole preseason and be effective Day One, but you can't say that for every guy."

Nor is every player in the same situation.

Taylor is the Steelers' best cornerback and assured of a starting job. Other free agents are battling for starting jobs and roster spots.

Following practice yesterday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was asked if he anticipated having the free agents in pads today.

"Right now, in my mind, I expect those guys to participate," Tomlin said.

Tomlin added that he hasn't thought about how much practice the free agents would need to be ready for the team's preseason opener a week from Friday against the Washington Redskins.

Taylor, who agreed to a four-year deal July 26, said he won't be behind, no matter how long the ninth-year veteran has to wait.

"I'm ready now," Taylor said. "I took a week off after the Super Bowl. That was it. That should let you know right there."

Clark, journalist exchange words

Steelers safety Ryan Clark and a local radio talk show host had to be separated Wednesday outside the cafeteria at St. Vincent College.

Clark took exception to questions posed by ESPN 970 AM's Joe Bendel about whether grievances with the owners and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell extended to Steelers president Art Rooney II.

Clark praised Rooney, and the situation quickly escalated as he and Bendel exchanged words. A Steelers media relations staffer and safety Will Allen helped defuse the situation, which happened around lunchtime.

Read more: Steelers players looking for the green light - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1U2IieaLj (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749914.html#ixzz1U2IieaLj)

Oviedo
08-04-2011, 08:34 AM

This.

He has demonstrated over and over again that he is unfit as a leader in this (and many other) areas.

Ovi - I would gladly have Smith go if it would mean Goodell goes, too. I just think Goodell is bad for the game. The next commish will have some repairs to do. I hope the new one gets busy on that soon.

I don't like Goodell but he just got the owners a 10 year CBA that reduced the players percentage of the take. Unfortunately he won't be going anywhere soon which is why the Steelers players versus Goodell BS is counterproductive.

Instead of complaining about rule changes and fines the Steelers players should be saying things like "we're going to do our best to adapt to the rule changes." Saying the opposite just puts the refs on alert to watch them that much more closely.

Discipline of Steel
08-04-2011, 08:48 AM

This.

I don't like Goodell but he just got the owners a 10 year CBA that reduced the players percentage of the take. Unfortunately he won't be going anywhere soon which is why the Steelers players versus Goodell BS is counterproductive.

Instead of complaining about rule changes and fines the Steelers players should be saying things like "we're going to do our best to adapt to the rule changes." Saying the opposite just puts the refs on alert to watch them that much more closely.

I cant imagine the league office can watch the Steelers any more closely at this point so to object sounds rational to me. Especially with the majority of NFL players supporting them. We can only cross our fingers that the objections capitulate Goodells removal or at least a reduction in the grand overlord's power to mete out penalties in such a random (and biased) fashion.

Oviedo
08-04-2011, 09:16 AM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":337fbc2x]The issue of Goodell ruining the game > the CBA

This.

I cant imagine the league office can watch the Steelers any more closely at this point so to object sounds rational to me. Especially with the majority of NFL players supporting them. We can only cross our fingers that the objections capitulate Goodells removal or at least a reduction in the grand overlord's power to mete out penalties in such a random (and biased) fashion.[/quote:337fbc2x]

I haven't heard the majority of the NFL players supporting them. To the contrary I bet the majority of the NFL love seeing Goodell get in Harrison's and Clark's head and them getting fined and the refs watching them more closely.

The other NFL players are not on the side of the Steelers defense.

Eich
08-04-2011, 09:37 AM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":1viwmeo4]The issue of Goodell ruining the game > the CBA

This.

I cant imagine the league office can watch the Steelers any more closely at this point so to object sounds rational to me. Especially with the majority of NFL players supporting them. We can only cross our fingers that the objections capitulate Goodells removal or at least a reduction in the grand overlord's power to mete out penalties in such a random (and biased) fashion.[/quote:1viwmeo4]

Agreed. It was absurd last year with the fine Harrison got for the hit on Massaquoi. Massaquoi clearly lowered his head at the last second and that's what made the hit look as bad as it did. Then when Harrison met with Goodell, the commissioner actually said that in a case like this, it will always be the fault of the defense. WHAT ??

The fine Harrison got for his "hit" on Brees was even worse. Goodell needs to lose some power on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ObpSr5yGw

Slapstick
08-04-2011, 09:40 AM
I haven't heard the majority of the NFL players supporting them. To the contrary I bet the majority of the NFL love seeing Goodell get in Harrison's and Clark's head and them getting fined and the refs watching them more closely.

The other NFL players are not on the side of the Steelers defense.

Every NFL player who lost money due to this asinine policy is on this side of the argument...

The media only cares about what the Steelers think because it is the easiest way to manufacture a story...

ikestops85
08-04-2011, 10:23 AM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":20s4djp5]The issue of Goodell ruining the game > the CBA

This.

I cant imagine the league office can watch the Steelers any more closely at this point so to object sounds rational to me. Especially with the majority of NFL players supporting them. We can only cross our fingers that the objections capitulate Goodells removal or at least a reduction in the grand overlord's power to mete out penalties in such a random (and biased) fashion.

The other NFL players are not on the side of the Steelers defense.[/quote:20s4djp5]

I think most defensive players are on the side of the Steelers. Those players are smart enough to know that Goodell's guns can be turned in their direction at any time ... and there is nothing they can do about it if the current policy stays in place.

Oviedo
08-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Maybe Harrison and Clark should take note and like I use to tell my kids "let's play the quiet game."

hawaiiansteel
08-04-2011, 05:56 PM
NFL players ratify new CBA

ESPN.com news services
August 4, 2011

NFL players ratified the new collective bargaining agreement Thursday afternoon, officially ending the lockout after 4˝ months.

The CBA includes blood testing for human growth hormone for the first time, with the goal for it to be implemented by Week 1 of the regular season, a source familiar with the talks told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The NFL will be the first major U.S. professional sports league to use blood testing for HGH.

The exact HGH testing procedures still are to be determined in the coming weeks in continued discussions between the league and NFLPA.

The NFL will be allowed to check each player annually for HGH -- but only after the union is confident in the way testing and appeals will work, according to an Associated Press source.

With ratification, players who signed new contracts are now allowed to practice for the first time.

In other details of the CBA, commissioner Roger Goodell will retain power to mete out discipline under the personal conduct policy in the collective bargaining agreement still being hammered out by the league and the players' union, league sources told Schefter.

However, players likely will be able to appeal suspensions under the drug policy to an independent arbitrator, league sources told Schefter.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68343 ... ources-say (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6834391/nfl-players-ratify-collective-bargaining-agreement-which-includes-hgh-testing-sources-say)

Steelgal
08-04-2011, 07:49 PM
per Ken Laird and Mark Kaboly, the Steeler players voted no because they said they felt rushed.