PDA

View Full Version : Who's the Most Under Appreciated Steeler?

flippy
08-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Guys like Ben and Troy and Deebo get all the glory around here. Just curious who some of your favorites are from the rest of the team.

Who makes this team go and doesn't get the recognition they deserve?

SidSmythe
08-03-2011, 11:36 AM
James Farrior ... though he's a team leader, when you talk about making plays he might not be on the highlight films but he's always in position.

Shawn
08-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Farrior used to be underappreciated, but now he is a liability in coverage. I'm hoping Sylvester can step in some this year.

I believe the most under appreciated by fans is Timmons. He is the best LBr of our LBing core yet gets spoken about as if he is inferior to Harrison and Woodley. This is just not the case. Timmons is the complete package.

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Brett Keisel. Many people have wanted us to replace him for years. Quietly, he had a Pro Bowl season last year without Aaron Smith opposite him. He is finally getting some recognition, but I think that is more due to the fact that he had grown an epic beard unlike anyone had ever seen at a Super Bowl Media Day.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Based on a lot of the reaction this off-season - Ike.

grotonsteel
08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Brett Keisel. .

:Agree

He was the best D-lineman for Steelers last season.

Oviedo
08-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Bruce Arians :stirpot

His offense has been to more Super Bowls in the past 5 years than any other OC in the NFL.

flippy
08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
My vote goes for Mike Tomlin.

He's built depth and level of performance expectation unlike anything we've ever had in Pittsburgh. Who else has a chance to win a SuperBowl after losing their starting Tackles, best WR, their QB for 4 games, their starting rookie pro bowl C, and is riddled with injuries across the defense?

I don't remember our backups being this good under Cowher or Noll.

I feel like we're the only team in the league that could lose half our starters and still make a run for #7. Too many perceive that Mike inherited a talented team just removed from winning a SuperBowl under Cowher. And there were talented players - no question.

But Mike's taken this team to the next level. He's raised the level of expectation. And last season was his best effort imho even though we ended up losing the SuperBowl.

And Mike is just starting to hit his stride.

He gets the most out of every last player. And that's what makes this team special.

The players are great. But the coach is even more impressive in my book.

papillon
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Bruce Arians :stirpot

His offense has been to more Super Bowls in the past 5 years than any other OC in the NFL.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pappy

birtikidis
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Heath Miller and Ryan Clark.

Flasteel
08-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Big Snack and Hokey. The NT position is the lynchpin for the 3-4 scheme we run and nobody does it better than these guys. Our run defense over the past decade ranks among the best in league history.

Captain Lemming
08-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Guys like Ben and Troy and Deebo get all the glory around here. Just curious who some of your favorites are from the rest of the team.

Funny thing is that Deebo get "a measure" of recognition, more than the other players mentioned here but he is STILL underappreciated.

You say WHAT the guy was DMVP once, how than he be unappreciated?

Deebo has no peer at his position period. NOBODY SEEMS TO KNOW THIS. Even Steeler fans.

How GREAT is Deebo?

It is near impossible for outside LBers in the 3-4 to get triple digit tackles AND double digit sacks. It just NEVER happens. Deebo has done it more than once.

He had literally TWICE the tackles that Woodley had.

Conventional wisdom says that Clay Matthews had a better season than Deebo. Is that so?

Matthews had a few more sacks....people give so much credit for that.
Deebo had FORTY MORE TACKLES than Matthews. YES that was 40 more tackles.
DID YOU KNOW THAT?

And the dude was INJURED and had some of his aggressiveness limited for being a target of the league. Still:

Harrison had over THIRTY more tackles than almost EVERY sack artist in the league.

Harrisons 100 was:

33 more than Ware
40 more than Matthews
49 more than Tamba Hall
32 more than Suggs
50 MORE THAN Woodley

Deebo plays like this year in and year out. Nobody on the list above has EVER bested Harrisons career low tackles as a starter (Harrisons first year starting).

Honestly, Deebo is playing the position at an ALL TIME GREAT level, not seen since LT.

For the players to put Ware and Matthews above JH is ridiculous.

EVEN HARD CORE STEELER FANS do not appreciate the level of his play. To suggest that Timmons is our best LBer is a crime. One day he will be a great INSIDE LBers. Inside backers get a ton of tackles because the RB runs AT THEM and they dont had to fight through a TACKLE to make a TACKLE.

Harrison is the best linebacker in this league and it aint close

No wonder the dude is so bitter.

Djfan
08-03-2011, 09:26 PM
James Farrior ... though he's a team leader, when you talk about making plays he might not be on the highlight films but he's always in position.

I would have said this a few years back. I even bought and wear his jersey proudly to show support for him.

Which LB is best? I don't care. I just love that we can have that debate as Steelers fans and don't have to say "this one is our best, but the other ones need replacing" as we do with our O linemen.

My vote for most under appreciated Steeler is Ryan Clark.

Steelhere10
08-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Tomlin and James H. I even hear some fans talking about this will be is last year in the Burgh, because of his violent nature and that the Rooneys won't put up with him much longer. I guess Joe Green and Jack Lambert was panzies. And also saying the team would release him to sign Wood...now that really makes me laugh.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Funny thing is that Deebo get "a measure" of recognition, more than the other players mentioned here but he is STILL underappreciated.

You say WHAT the guy was DMVP once, how than he be unappreciated?

Deebo has no peer at his position period. NOBODY SEEMS TO KNOW THIS. Even Steeler fans.

How GREAT is Deebo?

It is near impossible for outside LBers in the 3-4 to get triple digit tackles AND double digit sacks. It just NEVER happens. Deebo has done it more than once.

He had literally TWICE the tackles that Woodley had.

Conventional wisdom says that Clay Matthews had a better season than Deebo. Is that so?

Matthews had a few more sacks....people give so much credit for that.
Deebo had FORTY MORE TACKLES than Matthews. YES that was 40 more tackles.
DID YOU KNOW THAT?

And the dude was INJURED and had some of his aggressiveness limited for being a target of the league. Still:

Harrison had over THIRTY more tackles than almost EVERY sack artist in the league.

Harrisons 100 was:

33 more than Ware
40 more than Matthews
49 more than Tamba Hall
32 more than Suggs
50 MORE THAN Woodley

Deebo plays like this year in and year out. Nobody on the list above has EVER bested Harrisons career low tackles as a starter (Harrisons first year starting).

Honestly, Deebo is playing the position at an ALL TIME GREAT level, not seen since LT.

For the players to put Ware and Matthews above JH is ridiculous.

EVEN HARD CORE STEELER FANS do not appreciate the level of his play. To suggest that Timmons is our best LBer is a crime. One day he will be a great INSIDE LBers. Inside backers get a ton of tackles because the RB runs AT THEM and they dont had to fight through a TACKLE to make a TACKLE.

Harrison is the best linebacker in this league and it aint close

No wonder the dude is so bitter.

:Clap

Chadman
08-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Most under appreciated?

The big man in the middle...

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2010/05-May/2010_player_cards/Hampton_Casey.jpg

We'll miss him when he's gone- dude's been a dominant force for 10 years.

flippy
08-04-2011, 12:00 AM
My favorite Casey moment was when we lost to Gradkowski and the Raiders a few years back. Casey was going ape sh!t crazy during the second half of that game. He was beyond fired up and more demonstrative than I've ever seen him. He was literally destroying his man at the LOS and he was ripping every teammate a new one between almost every play.

Casey always looks happy with a smile on his face and all. Seems like a gentle giant type. But that game, I would not have wanted to be within 20 feet of him.

It was an overall pathetic performance by our D, but it looked like Casey was out there on a mission to win the game himself. It didn't work of course, but you gotta love the effort while the team is falling apart and hopeless. Shows how much this guy cares.

And he shoulda been our MVP in XL. He was beyond dominant during that playoff run. I think that's about where he peaked.

Chadman
08-04-2011, 12:09 AM
My wife still thinks hilarious watching Hampton run on & off the field- the most unathletic movements of any Steeler on the roster- but he's still my favourite player on the team.

Absolutely nothing I enjoy more than watching the big guy get in the backfield- it's like a big kid at Christmas...

RuthlessBurgher
08-04-2011, 01:42 PM
My wife still thinks hilarious watching Hampton run on & off the field- the most unathletic movements of any Steeler on the roster- but he's still my favourite player on the team.

Absolutely nothing I enjoy more than watching the big guy get in the backfield- it's like a big kid at Christmas...

It's bad enough to see the Chadman referring to himself using common pronouns like "I" and "my" in recent posts...but to compound that with a "my wife" reference too? It's Chadwoman, d@mmit! CHADWOMAN!!! :wink: