PDA

View Full Version : Possible Adams Return with Colon to G?

phillyesq
08-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Gerry Dulac thinks it might be possible that the Steelers will bring back Flozell and kick Colon inside to RG. The Steelers love to run right, and that would certainly be a lot of power on the right side of the line.

Interestingly, he also says that there is no real interest in bringing back Starks, and that Flozell is the more likely of the two tackles to return.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/111030-gerry-adams-not-starks-could-be-re-signed

I know the topic of Colon to RG has been discussed once or twice before :lol: but it seems like the coaching staff is open to it this time.

pfelix73
08-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I think Legursky would make a good RG if given the chance to play it on a regular basis. They may need to bring in Flozell to play LT or at least back up. I'd be surprised to see Colon move back to OG at this point.

:tt1

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-03-2011, 10:37 AM
I think Legursky would make a good RG if given the chance to play it on a regular basis. They may need to bring in Flozell to play LT or at least back up. I'd be surprised to see Colon move back to OG at this point.

I'm not a fan of Scott at LT long term, but I think that Flozell playing there at all is much worse. He was a disaster when he was cut by Dallas.

pfelix73
08-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Yep- I know he was, and he was OK last last as our replacement RT. I just think they may need another OT for on the depth charts in case the LT would go down. Will really depend on Hills too. This guy has to step up this year. :tt1

sentinel33
08-03-2011, 10:46 AM
yeah. I don't want to see Flozell at LT.

But having J. Scott-Kemoeatu-Pouncey-Colon-Adams up front should be an upgrade.

Colon moving inside makes perfect sense. Especially coming off that injury.

Would be very happy with this.

Too bad about Starks. Ben seems to be lobbying for him pretty hard.

ikestops85
08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I thought Adams did a very good job @ RT last year. He didn't have very many penalties, unlike Colon who is good for a couple a game. I know he wasn't very good his last couple of years in Dallas at LT but I'd love to see him come back and play RT for us again.

aggiebones
08-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Colon has the money, so he probably won't complain.
Adams will NOT come back as the LT or as a backup. If he is resigned it will definitely be as the starting RT. Colon wasn't resigned as a backup either, thus he'll be the RG.
LT is Scott, unless Starks comes back at some point.
I could see them going with Scott in the early going as Starks tries to get fit and able. If Scott fails, Starks will get a phone call at about week 4 if he's unemployed.
Gilbert is the backup at RT and future after Adams leaves next season. Scott will remain and we'll hopefully draft a LT at some point.

SidSmythe
08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
I put COLON at RG on Madden 11 w/ Flozell at RT.
Works very well ... Just Sayin'!!!!

flippy
08-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Colbert and Tomlin clearly just need to play more Madden. :)

SidSmythe
08-03-2011, 11:20 AM

Colbert and Tomlin clearly just need to play more Madden. :)

I challenge Tomlin, Colbert & Ben to a 3 on 3 all Madden game online.

Discipline of Steel
08-03-2011, 01:06 PM

I think Legursky would make a better LG.

grotonsteel
08-03-2011, 01:12 PM
I read somewhere Chris Scott and Keith Williams are doing good in camp as a RT and LG resp.

I am waiting anxiously for pre-season games. I want to see the rookies in action.

steelblood
08-04-2011, 10:29 AM
pouncey/colon/adams would be a sick right side for running plays.

hawaiiansteel
08-04-2011, 03:35 PM
maybe we could end the talk of Colon moving to guard?

Mid-Afternoon Camp Report: Colon says Kugler has never said a word to him about playing guard

Thu, Aug 4th, 2011 by Dale Grdnic
By Dale Grdnic

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Willie-Colondd-388x293.jpg

LATROBE, Pa. -- The Pittsburgh Steelers moved practice back an hour Thursday to accommodate a vote by the players, as the new CBA appears to be ratified.

Practice is now set for 4 p.m. at Saint Vincent College. The delay also gives players a chance to vote on the new CBA. With all 32 teams conducting a straw ballot today, the NFL's new calendar year should begin at 4 p.m. today.

Once the new CBA is ratified, all the veteran free agents who approved new contracts can begin practicing. There have been 15 players affected on the Steelers who could not practice until today. All teams also must be in compliance with the NFL's salary cap by 4 p.m.

"I guess you could say training camp officially starts today because we can get all our guys back,'' Steelers wideout Hines Ward said. "We were really looking forward to it. ... There were still some issues that needed to get taken care of.

"But the union was up all night to handle issues like (NFL Commissioner Roger) Goodell being in charge (by himself on discipline) and health benefits. Overall, it looks like it's going to be a done deal here this afternoon.''

Offensive tackles Willie Colon, Tony Hills and Jonathan Scott, cornerbacks William Gay and Ike Taylor, punters Jeremy Kapinos and Daniel Sepulveda, quarterback Dennis Dixon, offensive lineman Doug Legursky, nose tackle Chris Hoke, running back Mewelde Moore, safety Ryan Mundy, place-kicker Shaun Suisham, long-snapper Greg Warren and tight end John Gilmore.

A player like Moore, battling rookie seventh-round draft pick Baron Batch for the Steelers' third-down back spot, just got into town a couple days ago. And he would be far behind if he wasn't a veteran with several years on the team.

"I've missed preseasons before, so this isn't necessarily out of the ordinary for me, other than the actual circumstances,'' Moore said. "But it's only been a week, and I've only been here two days.

"So, I'm anxious to get back on the field for practice. I feel like I already know what I'm doing, so I just have to get out there and take care of business. And I've always had the same mindset, I'll do whatever they want me to do.''

Colon has been at camp the entire time, and he's utilized the down time in different ways.

"It's all about being a realist, so to speak,'' Colon said. "I wanted to get out there, but this was a chance for me to get into the playbook a little more, help out some young guys and be a vocal leader, at times. So, I was able to do that, and now I can't wait to get back on the field for the first time in over a year.''

Colon ruptured an Achilles tendon during spring workouts in 2010, and he missed the entire past season. But due to an intense rehab process and strong worth ethic, he maybe could have played by the end of last season if he wasn't on the injured reserve list.

"I was getting closer to being ready as the season went on last year, but due to being on IR I couldn't come back,'' Colon said. "But I felt better all the time and was glad to get the time off as well to rehab. Competitively, you always want to get back on the field, and I'm very competitive. So, I can't wait.

"I kissed my helmet today for the first time since I took it off last year. I was sitting next to (cornerback) Crezdon Butler, and he's like: 'did you just kiss your helmet.' I told him I really missed it. I still have some marks on it from the old days, so I'm just so very happy to be back with the Steelers.''

There has been some recent talk about Colon possibly moving to right guard if another tackle, like last year's starter Flozell Adams, returns. But Colon hasn't heard a word about it, and one would think that he'd be the first to know.

"Me and Coach Kugs (OL coach Sean Kugler) talk all the time, and he never said anything about me moving to right guard,'' Colon said. "I'm a (right) tackle, and I'm going to stay at right tackle as far as I know.

"It could happen, I guess, but I never even played right guard in practice. Only playing around on scout team. I've always been a tackle. I'm not against it, but it's just something that has not been talked about at all.''

Once the league officially gets underway today, final rosters will need to be set, so any player movement is likely to be limited.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... ard/41178/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/mid-afternoon-camp-report-colon-says-coaches-havent-said-a-word-to-him-about-playing-guard/41178/)

RuthlessBurgher
08-04-2011, 03:40 PM

When Colon retires, we can end the talk of him moving to guard. :mrgreen:

pfelix73
08-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Amen. thread closed......

:D

flippy
08-04-2011, 09:32 PM

When Colon retires, we can end the talk of him moving to guard. :mrgreen:

Although, he could become the Brett Favre of guards at that point.

NorthCoast
08-06-2011, 09:26 AM
My only wish is that a young guy steps up this season and Kemo is pushed to a backup. Others may not be as strong as him, but when you are in a mental fog about who to block who cares how strong you are? Steelers are a pass-first team now and that is Kemo's worst game. Foster, Legs, or the rookie Williams would all be better options than Kemo.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Good posts.

In spite of the many message board opinions, the Steelers show no real interest in playing Colon at Guard. I think Tomlin one time, in answering a question, said he might be open to the possibility. But in his own words, Colon has never even lined up at G for a practice! Might as well be talking about playing James Harrison as long snapper...at least he actually DID it once.