PDA

View Full Version : Sweed

chiken
08-02-2011, 08:11 AM
So lets say it is mental with this kid. I mean physically he is the real deal. He has speed, Size and Decent hands, its just in his head. It's like every one of his catches in his Career have been "oh okay, its about time" and every drop has been like WHOOAAA NO!! "that was a wide open Touchdown11" or "OMG, We arent in the playoffs now!! Holy Cow We needed that Game!!! " Its no wonder the kid has mental issues.. We have set him up with no room to fail.

I say IF the steelers really want him they do this. 1st preason game - "If" we throw the ball 20 times I say make him the Target 15 of those times.. Let him feel what it feels like to be the man on the NFL level for this team.. I know its only preseaon but I really think for him it is more than that.

As it was pointed out before on a number of occassions. In his first Season both Ward and Holmes Dropped a buttload of passes.. Heck we have watched Wallace and Sanders drop them as well - but never did they recieve the "OMG he is a second round Draft pick!! HOw can he do that to us!" You guys know the Drill.

Target the guy, early and often. I think this will solve his mental problem. What do we have to lose? Ward is hurt, Sanders is Limping, Wallace is established and Plex aint walking through those doors... Get the guy off and let him come back to the side lines with everybody slapping his back and jumping up and down. I think he just needs to remember what that was like back in Texas.

Eich
08-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I agree that Sweed hasn't been given enough opportunities to get past the mental aspect of the game. Targeting him much more often could defintely help with that.

I just wonder how well you can recover physically from a torn achilles. Serious question... Have there been any other good receivers in recent history that came back from a torn achilles to do well?

Notleadpoisoned
08-02-2011, 08:25 AM
"So lets say it is mental with this kid."

Mental...as in...lack of committment? or mental...as in...crazy?

flippy
08-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Clearly this guy has the size, speed, and route running that can't be covered. I'd get him involved early and often too. Let Ward sit out all the preseason and give Sweed his reps.

chiken
08-02-2011, 08:47 AM
"So lets say it is mental with this kid."

Mental...as in...lack of committment? or mental...as in...crazy?

I don't think its committment at all.. I think its a Guy who sees the whole world in the air when the ball it thrown at him. A guy who is Afraid of letting every one down and not living up to the # 2 pick. A guy afraid of going back into the doghouse and getting laughed at by his peers.
Everybody gets punched in the mouth - Its getting back up and taking the next Puinch that defines a man.

I can only imagine how much love a player gets from the "Nation" when they are balling - but whats the opposite of that? Something tells me this kid knows.

chiken
08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I agree that Sweed hasn't been given enough opportunities to get past the mental aspect of the game. Targeting him much more often could defintely help with that.

I just wonder how well you can recover physically from a torn achilles. Serious question... Have there been any other good receivers in recent history that came back from a torn achilles to do well?

Thats a great Question - and honestly none that I know of. But man that kid was so freaking wide open that losing a step for him might just have as simply Wide open. Physically he is blessed and he is young.

In a way maybe the Injury helps him.. Maybe now he doesnt feel like he has to be a Star but just another cat coming off an injury trying to make the team.. could be an angle..

Oviedo
08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Sweed will prove that he is the real deal this season. He is exactly what we need opposite of Wallace.

I agree that Ben needs to show him that he has confidence in him and get him the ball alot in the preseason.

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 09:19 AM
I have an idea:

Why don't we see if he can make it through an entire training camp and play well in some preseason games...

It's no secret that he had some non-football problems in the past as well as a serious injury....

But, he claims that all of that is behind him...he doesn't have a history as a big talker nor one as a pathological liar, so I see no reason not to take him at his word...

Most of us have seen the physical gifts that he showed at the college level...the only person who can translate those gifts to the pro level is Sweed himself...

Now, I disagree with doing anything special in a game plan for him...the Steelers don't generally game plan extensively for these preseason games...the Steelers have been more than generous and more than supportive in presenting him with this opportunity...he needs to find his place on the team...

I'm definitely pulling for him...

Chadman
08-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Get the guy off and let him come

I nominate you for this duty.

Ghost
08-02-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm curious about the level of confidence the Steelers have in this guy. If it were not for salary cap woes, Plex would be a Steeler today and Sweed would have been cut. If they were ready for LS to be the man, why actively go after the exact same type of player?

Hopefully this can be the year but the NFL is littered with guys who had massive amounts of college talent and could never convert it to the NFL. So far that's been Sweed.

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Target the guy, early and often

This is kind of fun, Chadman...

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 09:55 AM
a buttload slapping up and down. I think he just needs to remember what that was like

Notleadpoisoned
08-02-2011, 10:00 AM
http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr217/SalgadoLord/BUST.png

Dropping an easy TD pass I can forgive but faking an injury afterwards? Can't do it. Dudes's a malingerer.

ikestops85
08-02-2011, 10:15 AM
All I can say is I'm rooting hard for Sweed to put it all together. He has a unique skill set that our team is missing ... someone that can go up in the air and take the ball away from the defender. If we get a receiver with that ability it would be funny to listen to people who would say how Ben is throwing a much better deep ball. :)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Okay, I will start off by not giving a dime store psychological evaluation of a person I have never spoken to. Whatever his problems may have been, we just have to hope that they are behind him.

On the plus side, here is something that I always noticed about his drops - he was wide open every time. A guy with that kind of size should not be able to evade coverage like that, and he did. If he can just hold onto the ball then he can be an impact player.

ramblinjim
08-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I agree with Flippy, put Sweed out there wide and throw him the ball early and often, let Hines sit out most of the pre-season, let Sanders' foot heal, etc. But let's see Limas play and see if he can earn a spot on a team with a very good but crowded WR roster.

aggiebones
08-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Decent hands is an overstatement.
He can catch some, but has STRONG mental problems.
There are ALOT of random guys floating in and out of the league that have 'size', and speed. His hands aren't good enough and he has brain lapses. Texas is notorious for free weed to players and I'm sure he's gone past his allotment. Brain cramps will be permanent. sWEED

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 12:17 PM
If weed were a problem, Santonio Holmes wouldn't be such a successful WR...

Shawn
08-02-2011, 12:27 PM
From a physical tool perspective...Sweed is elite. Unfortunately for Sweed, the Steelers and fans...physical tools are not enough.

I think there is a strong possibility that he suffers from an anxiety/panic disorder. He certainly of the right age for it to appear. And while some like to down play those kinds of things...it can cripple someone in their prime.

Part of the key with anxiety is what others have suggested...desensitize Sweed by throwing him a ton of balls early...often and giving him a ton of support.

Ghost
08-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Ed Bouchette in his chat wrap is reporting that Sweed didn't finish the conditioning run and sat after the first practice with a hamstring issue. What exactly does anyone see in him? All the issues and he's not in the best shap possible coming into camp?

flippy
08-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Ed Bouchette in his chat wrap from today is reporting that Sweed didn't finish the conditioning run and sat after the first practice with a hamstring issue. What exactly does anyone see in him? All the issues and he's not in the best shap possible coming into camp?

The few times I've seen him, he gets wide open and great separation from defenders. Gotta wait forever for Ward, Miller, and Sanders to get open and Wallace to get deep.

Sweed could be a guy that would allow Ben to get rid of the ball quicker.

I don't think Ben always holds the ball forever cause he wants to. I think it's more that he has to.

Oviedo
08-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Ed Bouchette in his chat wrap from today is reporting that Sweed didn't finish the conditioning run and sat after the first practice with a hamstring issue. What exactly does anyone see in him? All the issues and he's not in the best shap possible coming into camp?

Tomlin told him to stop the run (like he did other players too). He didn't quit.

It was actually reported he had two really good catches on Day 1 and showed excellent speed.

Tweaking a hammy is fairly common early in camp especially for fast twitch muscle guys like WRs.

Sweed will give his best shot moving forward.

Steelgal
08-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Also read today Limas doing some nice run blocking.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-02-2011, 04:38 PM
call me crazy, but i am still holding out hope for this kid.

has all the physical tools to be successful.

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Ed Bouchette in his chat wrap is reporting that Sweed didn't finish the conditioning run and sat after the first practice with a hamstring issue. What exactly does anyone see in him? All the issues and he's not in the best shap possible coming into camp?

Tomlin told him to stop to go easier on the Achilles...he's in fine shape...

ikestops85
08-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Me too! I'd love to see him move up to #3 on the depth chart this year. :tt2

DukieBoy
08-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Rooting big time for Limas. Could be a great story of overcoming injury and other problems to fulfill his talents and earn respect and success. The window of opportunity is open for him.

anger 82&95
08-02-2011, 09:47 PM

I guess I'm also crazy...

insanesteelersfan
08-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Word has it that the other tall WR, Wes Lyons is catching everything in camp. And is poshing Sweed to the point he won't get a roster spot. :Boobs

You GO Lyons!! :tt1 :Beer

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 10:25 PM
The competition will only serve to make the winner a better player...

Snatch98
08-02-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm MUCH rather have Limas Sweed than Lyons. Lyons is only going to help Sweed as far as I'm concerned. A little extra competition to push him further.

DukieBoy
08-02-2011, 11:15 PM
From what I've read in the past, one of Limas' strengths is gaining separation and getting open. And he has three years with the Steelers to have learned the offense and the playbook. Hard for me to imagine the rookie Lyons can equal that. I expect it will be success for Lyons to make the Practice Squad, and if he exceeds that it will be quite an accomplishment.

feltdizz
08-03-2011, 09:28 AM
I have zero faith in Sweed... I hope he surprises me this year but I seriously doubt it.

Sweed and Steeler fans remind me of:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MlbILYXUS8E/TB2VHwnXBQI/AAAAAAAABLM/9JkdnrRO8iA/s1600/lucy-football.jpg

Ghost
08-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I have zero faith in Sweed... I hope he surprises me this year but I seriously doubt it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_MlbILYXUS8E/TB2VHwnXBQI/AAAAAAAABLM/9JkdnrRO8iA/s1600/lucy-football.jpg

:Clap Not sure I've ever seen so much black-n-gold glasses speculation on a guy who's done less since this board started.

papillon
08-03-2011, 10:21 AM

:Clap Not sure I've ever seen so much black-n-gold glasses speculation on a guy who's done less since this board started.

Well, when a player is so physically gifted it's difficult to give up on him. Not to mention, through everything that has happened to him he has never complained or felt sorry for himself. Even after mistakes in the few games he has played he never gave up. If he would have never laid on the ground and cost the Steelers a timeout after one of his drops people would have a slightly better perception of him.

At this point, it doesn't cost the Steelers anything to see if he can become an NFL quality wide receiver. No one currently on the team seems to be able to get open as easily as he does. He knows he can catch, he did it in college, I hope he gets it together and makes the team and begins to become the player they hoped he would when they drafted him.

If he can't, he'll be cut and that will be the end of it. This is his last chance; the pressure is squarely on his shoulders and he knows it. No greater pressure can be applied than to have your job on the line. It will be interesting to see how he responds.

Pappy

flippy
08-03-2011, 10:22 AM

:oops:

ikestops85
08-03-2011, 10:35 AM

I had to laugh at that ... the analogy was perfect.

I do want Sweed to succeed because the Steelers need a big guy who can go up and get the ball. If Sweed is that guy ... great! If Lyons is that guy ... great! If Randy Moss wants to come out of retirement and be that guy ... great! I don't care who it is -- I just know Ben needs a guy like that.

feltdizz
08-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Pappy if Sweed would just catch the freaking ball we wouldn't have this problem.

He dropped a wide open TD in the Chargers playoff game but we were blowing them out so it wasn't big.

Ravens game... and then the Bungles TD drop in 2009.

Like Arians said after the Bengals drop. "Catch the @#$$#$%#%# ball"

What does Sweed have to complain about?

papillon
08-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Pappy if Sweed would just catch the freaking ball we wouldn't have this problem.

He dropped a wide open TD in the Chargers playoff game but we were blowing them out so it wasn't big.

And, he didn't get many more chances that year to try and work through dropping the ball. Then last year he's having a good camp and he gets the achilles and he's done.

Sweed has nothing to complain about and the fact that he doesn't sets him apart from the Diva types. He's never stopped working to get on the field. I have no problem with him getting a chance. Catching the ball for him right now is a mental thing and not physical. I want to see some reps in a game with him being targeted. If he fails, he'll be cut, end of story. If he succeeds, the Steelers will be the better for it.

Every receiver has dropped easy passes, hell, Hines Ward drops critical passes and smiles about it, screw that, catch the f***ing ball. I know he's a future HOFer, but nothing p1sses me off more than watching him drop a 1st down catch and then smile about it.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2011, 01:41 PM

And, he didn't get many more chances that year to try and work through dropping the ball. Then last year he's having a good camp and he gets the achilles and he's done.

Sweed has nothing to complain about and the fact that he doesn't sets him apart from the Diva types. He's never stopped working to get on the field. I have no problem with him getting a chance. Catching the ball for him right now is a mental thing and not physical. I want to see some reps in a game with him being targeted. If he fails, he'll be cut, end of story. If he succeeds, the Steelers will be the better for it.

Every receiver has dropped easy passes, hell, Hines Ward drops critical passes and smiles about it, screw that, catch the f***ing ball. I know he's a future HOFer, but nothing p1sses me off more than watching him drop a 1st down catch and then smile about it.

Pappy

He smiles about everything, though. He was probably smiling at the police officer when they pulled him over for a DUI.

Notleadpoisoned
08-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Sweed is a poor man's version of Fred Gibson.

papillon
08-03-2011, 02:00 PM

Pappy

He smiles about everything, though. He was probably smiling at the police officer when they pulled him over for a DUI.

I like it when it p1sses off the defense, but not after a crucial drop.

Pappy

pittpete
08-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Make Sweed a CB, Ike cant catch the ball either :wink:

:stirpot :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot

birtikidis
08-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Make Sweed a CB, Ike cant catch the ball either :wink:

:stirpot :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot
Might as well. Hell we have enough guys playing out of position, what's one more?

feltdizz
08-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Every WR drops passes but how many drop 3 TD's when WIDE OPEN?

You have to make the most of your chances when you are a 2nd rounder... Sweed has no one to blame but himself.

birtikidis
08-03-2011, 03:23 PM

You have to make the most of your chances when you are a 2nd rounder... Sweed has no one to blame but himself.
As a rookie? Many of them. Dropping passes as a rookie is nothing new. A lot of hall of famers dropped passes when they were rookies.

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2011, 04:26 PM

but how many rookie WRs can get that wide open against NFL DBs? not many...

Oviedo
08-03-2011, 04:30 PM

As a rookie? Many of them. Dropping passes as a rookie is nothing new. A lot of hall of famers dropped passes when they were rookies.

Jerry Rice's own words

In 1985, breaking in as an NFL rookie, Rice admitted he was scared and dropped the ball more than usual. "I was thinking through every step of a complicated offense," he said, "instead of using natural reactions." San Francisco coach Bill Walsh stuck with him, and a 10-catch, 241-yard game against the Los Angeles Rams in December put him on course. The next year Rice led the league with 1,570 yards and 15 touchdown receptions and had 86 catches.

feltdizz
08-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Jerry Rice? Hmmmm... Let's tone it down a little.

Sweed dropped 2 TD's as a rookie... He dropped another in his second year.

Our #3WR never had a problem getting open with a healthy Hines and Holmes in Arians offense. Nate Washington was paid like a #1 due to his production as a #3.

Sweed getting open due to his athleticism is overblown. Getting open isn't the problen though... Catching the ball is the problem and until its solved I'm off the Sweed "Hope and Change" wagon.

birtikidis
08-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Our #3WR never had a problem getting open with a healthy Hines and Holmes in Arians offense. Nate Washington was paid like a #1 due to his production as a #3.

Sweed getting open due to his athleticism is overblown. Getting open isn't the problen though... Catching the ball is the problem and until its solved I'm off the Sweed "Hope and Change" wagon.
Nate Washington is like Jenna Jameson. Every time a ball was thrown his way he opened his mouth and got sh!t on his face. He dropped more balls then anyone we've had since dwight "hands of" stone.

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Nate Washington is like Jenna Jameson. Every time a ball was thrown his way he opened his mouth and got sh!t on his face. He dropped more balls then anyone we've had since dwight "hands of" stone.

you can insult Nate Washington all you want but leave Jenna Jameson out of this... :D :Boobs

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_b4R3ho4gtQY/TD5W-tVZXqI/AAAAAAAAWNU/VjXC1UzrSV4/s1600/jenna-jameson.jpg

flippy
08-03-2011, 09:04 PM

Someone could probably photoshop a great pwned photo including Nate and Jenna.

Captain Lemming
08-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Pappy

Actually, he could stand to be more like Hines. The "its the end of the world if I drop a pass" mentality is what makes him tight.

"Here comes the ball please dont let me drop it..."

Of course NOW it will be the end of the world (for him) so its too late to have Hines easygoing attitude after a drop.

Captain Lemming
08-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Hows this. Sweed take Battles place on special teams. My favorite play of this was blowing up that dude after a drop.

He has the tools to be a special teams monster. Then we get value in his roster spot while getting a change to see if he can break out of his funk.

Worst case scenario is not that we keep him and he fails.

Worst case is if he moves on and fulfill him huge potential on another team.

birtikidis
08-03-2011, 10:41 PM

you can insult Nate Washington all you want but leave Jenna Jameson out of this... :D :Boobs

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_b4R3ho4gtQY/TD5W-tVZXqI/AAAAAAAAWNU/VjXC1UzrSV4/s1600/jenna-jameson.jpg
you're right. I love me some Jenna.. never really warmed up to nate... hahahah

Chadman
08-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Sweed apparently made a very nice diving catch over the middle at practice today. Good sign.

winwithd
08-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds there are 3 drops that are being held against Limas. They are SD in the playoffs, Baltimore in the playoffs, and Cincy in the year we missed the playoffs. Didn't we beat SD and Baltimore in those games? So what's it matter. And wasn't that the Cincy game where we outgained them like 200-2 in the first quarter but only led 13-7 at halftime. Did anyone make a mistake in the first half which caused us to have to settle for a field goal rather than a touchdown. Maybe it could have been a bad play call by Arians. Is that the game where we attempted a 40-something yard field goal which Reed missed which resulted in a score the other way when the Bengals started a drive with great field position. Was that the game where Farrior couldn't make the tackle on Brian Leonard on 4th and 10 late in the game and Leonard got 11 yards and then the Bengals scored later on that drive. In the second half, fourth quarter especially, the defense couldn't stop the Bengals. There were plenty of plays in that game that could have made a difference in the outcome of the game, but so many like to pile on Limas for the dropped TD. He was never really given much of a chance to redeem himself after that. Was he? And maybe that is the coach's fault.

He seems to be hard worker with a boatload of talent. I think it would be a mistake to not give him a chance. I think he still may be a great receiver. We may be glad to not get Burress because Sweed turns out to be better in the long run.

flippy
08-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Hows this. Sweed take Battles place on special teams. My favorite play of this was blowing up that dude after a drop.

He has the tools to be a special teams monster. Then we get value in his roster spot while getting a change to see if he can break out of his funk.

Worst case scenario is not that we keep him and he fails.

Worst case is if he moves on and fulfill him huge potential on another team.

How bout after every drop, Clark or Timmons get a free shot at him with a 10 yard running start.

Bet the ball would stick like glue.

hawaiiansteel
08-04-2011, 12:12 AM

Sweed's best moment as a Steeler was when he decked the Ravens' Corey Ivy... :tt2

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/SXUWqGW8rQI/AAAAAAAAU34/FdTBLQ8FtJY/s400/corey-ivy-limas-sweed.jpg

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-04-2011, 09:39 AM
For what it is worth...Sweed is looking good in camp. There is someone else looking good from what I'm hearing. Lyons appears to be ready to make a run at the 53. If Battle is in their plans that might put them on a head to head.

steelblood
08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Everybody gets punched in the mouth - Its getting back up and taking the next Puinch that defines a man.

Geez. I'm not sure I want him to get back up and get punched in the face again. But, at least he'd be catching something.

Personally, I'm a get back up and throw a punch or run like hell guy. I like to learn from things.

:)

RuthlessBurgher
08-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds there are 3 drops that are being held against Limas. They are SD in the playoffs, Baltimore in the playoffs, and Cincy in the year we missed the playoffs. Didn't we beat SD and Baltimore in those games? So what's it matter. And wasn't that the Cincy game where we outgained them like 200-2 in the first quarter but only led 13-7 at halftime. Did anyone make a mistake in the first half which caused us to have to settle for a field goal rather than a touchdown. Maybe it could have been a bad play call by Arians. Is that the game where we attempted a 40-something yard field goal which Reed missed which resulted in a score the other way when the Bengals started a drive with great field position. Was that the game where Farrior couldn't make the tackle on Brian Leonard on 4th and 10 late in the game and Leonard got 11 yards and then the Bengals scored later on that drive. In the second half, fourth quarter especially, the defense couldn't stop the Bengals. There were plenty of plays in that game that could have made a difference in the outcome of the game, but so many like to pile on Limas for the dropped TD. He was never really given much of a chance to redeem himself after that. Was he? And maybe that is the coach's fault.

He seems to be hard worker with a boatload of talent. I think it would be a mistake to not give him a chance. I think he still may be a great receiver. We may be glad to not get Burress because Sweed turns out to be better in the long run.

The Ravens and Chargers drops were outright drops...wide open, ball hit him square in the hands, and he flubbed 'em. I don't blame him for the Cincy "drop" though. If I recall correctly, it was a crossing pattern in the back of the end zone, he caught it, rolled, and then the ball came out as he was getting up. Reminded me of the Polamalu INT against Indy (I think Calvin Johnson had a similar touchdown taken away from him last year as well). Some bullcrap continuation football move rule.

feltdizz
08-04-2011, 02:13 PM

What's it matter? He can't catch easy TD's... that's what matters.

Are you really trying to gloss over Sweed's problem because we won those games? Winning games doesn't make Sweed catch any better. He has to actually catch the ball for fans to move on from the drops he had.

Every play could be the one that wins or loses a game... a WR's primary job is to CATCH THE DAMN BALL!!!

If Sweed continues to drop the ball we move on... there are other WR's on our team who will catch those easy TD's....

snarky
08-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Get the guy off and let him come

I nominate you for this duty.

Slapstick did say he was pulling for him.

NJ-STEELER
08-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Iirc

On the cinch drop. Ball came loose as he contacted the ground. Don't believe there was any roll around

That's the drop that cost the most. Would have been uP by 3 scores at that point iirc

winwithd
08-04-2011, 11:58 PM
I heard Jerry Rice had trouble with dropping passes when he started but he was given a chance to work thru it, had one big game and that became history. I don't think Limas ever really had the chance to have his big game. I think the Steelers will be glad they've stuck with him. I remember Mendenhall having a fumbling problem when he started out but they stuck with him and he has done pretty well.

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 01:27 AM
I heard Jerry Rice had trouble with dropping passes when he started but he was given a chance to work thru it, had one big game and that became history. I don't think Limas ever really had the chance to have his big game. I think the Steelers will be glad they've stuck with him. I remember Mendenhall having a fumbling problem when he started out but they stuck with him and he has done pretty well.

Now he only fumbles when inputting tweets on his cell phone keypad. :wink:

Well, that and the d@mn Super Bowl. :HeadBanger

feltdizz
08-05-2011, 08:25 AM
No excuses for the Cincy drop. I don't care if the ground caused it.. catch the damn!

Wallace came in and had no problems catching the football. It's not like Ben was throwing heat on slants either... these were all easy catches given the skills these guys have as NFL WR's.

I found a highlight of that drop... We were up 13 to 9 at that point from the looks of it.

Go to the 58 second mark... The ground didn't cause the ball to come loose....

He didn't have to fall, wide open, perfect placement.. the guy just has a mental block on his hands. Burress frame... Ike Taylor hands.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092701/2009/REG3/steelers@bengals#tab:watch

flippy
08-05-2011, 08:40 AM
No excuses for the Cincy drop. I don't care if the ground caused it.. catch the damn!

Wallace came in and had no problems catching the football. It's not like Ben was throwing heat on slants either... these were all easy catches given the skills these guys have as NFL WR's.

Sweed's got good hands. Better hands than Wallace who catches everything in the breadbasket.

His issues are mental at this point, but he's still the most talented WR on the roster and I hope he proves it.

[youtube:2d58fldx]S8UQ2cZuHxw[/youtube:2d58fldx]

Just a reminder that the kid has some hands on him.

He brings a capability no other WR on our roster has and it's not just because of his size.

I'm rooting for Sweed more than anyone else on our roster to finally develop.

feltdizz
08-05-2011, 09:08 AM
....so Sweed is the best who never did it? :Clap

I hope he does turn into this guy we thought we were drafting.

Captain Lemming
08-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Sweed's got good hands. Better hands than Wallace who catches everything in the breadbasket.

Kinda like Lynn Swann? He caught more passes "in the breadbasket' than anyone I've ever seen. The goal is to catch the ball period, even if you do it with you HELMET Antonio Brown style. :)

Notleadpoisoned
08-06-2011, 07:05 AM
His issues are mental at this point, but he's still the most talented WR on the roster and I hope he proves it.
7 career catches is certainly proof enough for me. :roll:

NorthCoast
08-06-2011, 08:11 AM
I am amused by all the Sweed-love in this post. These are the same comments we heard his rookie year. "give him a chance", "get him game time", "he can catch"..... Sweed is the best rookie who never was. I don't see any reason why he should make it out of training camp if he cant catch balls in practice. A WR that can't catch belongs on the island with the other misfit toys..

We have too many other good WRs that are not head cases and have shown high potential. Why is it you only want to see the guy who is sitting on the bench?

chiken
08-06-2011, 09:50 AM
I am amused by all the Sweed-love in this post. These are the same comments we heard his rookie year. "give him a chance", "get him game time", "he can catch"..... Sweed is the best rookie who never was. I don't see any reason why he should make it out of training camp if he cant catch balls in practice. A WR that can't catch belongs on the island with the other misfit toys..

We have too many other good WRs that are not head cases and have shown high potential. Why is it you only want to see the guy who is sitting on the bench?

Thats the thing.. he does Catch in practice and he does catch the tough pass. Its the wide open "omg I'm gonna score!!" pass that he seems to have trouble with. The Kid Can catch - he just has some kind of freaking panic attack.. like a guy who is trying to dang on hard.

We all agree if he cant get it together then he has to go. but it would be sad because this offense could really use somebody like him - a Line of Scrimmage mismatch with size and breakaway speed. It would make life so much easier for the rest of the guys.

Slapstick
08-06-2011, 11:49 AM
We're talking about Sweed's problems as though they are current...

They aren't...

These drops happened TWO SEASONS AGO!!!

As far as I am concerned, he dealt with his off-the-field problems (with the support of the Steelers...he's in camp, after all!!) back in 2009 and his biggest problem now is reacclimating to the speed of the game after a season-ending injury and a prolonged lockout....

Sweed has talent...his non-football problems are resolved...

For God's sake, Gay dropped a sure INT that hit him in the chest during the 2009 Raiders game that would have ended that game with a Steelers victory, yet very few people bring up that colossal error...

All of this crap with Sweed is water under the bridge...he needs to use his talent and make the roster just like anyone else in camp...

Rooting for his at this point is no different that rooting for Barron Batch or an undrafted rookie...

Chucktownsteeler
08-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Iirc

On the cinch drop. Ball came loose as he contacted the ground. Don't believe there was any roll around

That's the drop that cost the most. Would have been uP by 3 scores at that point iirc

If I remember correctly, we scored a few plays later, on the same drive! I think the real trouble in the Cinci game was a combination of 2 Jeff Reed missed field goals and Brice Arian's inept play calling that could not keep the offense on the field and run out the clock.

I did read Sweed's drop in the Cinci game should have been rules a TD (same as the one they took off Hines Ward earlier in the season). It was a misinterpretation of the "continuation rule" in football. Anyway, I think the rule has been changed or clarified. I remember when they took Hine's TD away (against Cleveland I think) I said, man if I am a WR and score a TD, I am not letting of the ball until after the extra point. It was a bad rule.

I am behind Sweed 100%, we have a special player here. BTW, Jerry Rice's rookie season he dropped 14 passes, Hines Ward was a ST "gunner" until his fourth season, and many people used to call Troy "Bustamoula".

Did I mention I just met Hines? If someone can advise me how to post the picture I will add it here.

ChucktownSteeler

Djfan
08-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Load the picture on photobucket.com or something similar, then copy the image code and paste it here. Just be sure to change the and to and. for some reason this site doesn't like the caps.

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2011, 02:26 PM
For God's sake, Gay dropped a sure INT that hit him in the chest during the 2009 Raiders game that would have ended that game with a Steelers victory, yet very few people bring up that colossal error...

That was Joe Burnett, not William Gay. No one brings it up because Burnett isn't here anymore.

Slapstick
08-06-2011, 02:51 PM
My bad...
:oops:

But, I don't think anyone (but me) would bring it up anyway if he were here...

hawaiiansteel
08-06-2011, 07:52 PM
not good news for Limas -

Update from Jim Wexell:

Injuries are mounting in Latrobe today: Jim Wexell said that Limas Sweed has a sprained shoulder, wrapped in ice.

Notleadpoisoned
08-06-2011, 09:01 PM

Update from Jim Wexell:

Injuries are mounting in Latrobe today: Jim Wexell said that Limas Sweed has a sprained shoulder, wrapped in ice.
Like I've said before, Limas is a world-class malingerer.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-06-2011, 09:12 PM

Update from Jim Wexell:

Maybe God doesn't want Limas in Black and Gold.

fordfixer
08-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Sweed looks to finally breakthrough with Steelers
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... xid=si_nfl (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/08/06/sweed.steelers.ap/index.html?xid=si_nfl)

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) -- Limas Sweed tried not to pay attention when the Pittsburgh Steelers unsuccessfully courted Plaxico Burress a week ago.

Sure, Sweed heard all the chatter about how the Steelers needed a big wide receiver to complement the swift if undersized quartet of Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown.

The fourth-year pro nods his head when asked if there was a part of him that wanted to raise his hand and say, "remember me? I'm 6-foot-4. I can run. I can catch. I can play."

Yet he understands why he's become a forgotten man at best and a draft bust at worst. Struggle as the former Texas star has since being taken in the second round of the 2008 NFL draft and it's hard to avoid labels such as "injury-prone" and "underachiever."

He has all of seven receptions in three years, only one since Thanksgiving 2008. He was put on injured reserve in 2009 after being diagnosed with depression and missed all of last season when he tore the Achilles tendon in his left leg in minicamp.

Was it tough? Of course. Has he given any real indication during his underwhelming career that he can be an impact player? Not really. Yet he remains upbeat, a sign the emotional distress he went through two years ago is behind him.

Still, he's only too happy to remind critics he's 26, not 46. There's still time to turn things around.

"I'm ready to show them I'm that guy," Sweed said. "I'm that big guy and fill in the way they want me to fill in."

Pittsburgh could certainly use a receiver with Sweed's skill set, particularly the skill that comes with being 6-4 and having a 37-inch vertical leap. Wallace, Ward and company can do fast. They can't do big. Sweed can, though he knows he'll have to do it now if he wants the breakthrough to happen while he's wearing black-and-gold.

"I have a chip on my shoulder," he said. "I feel like I have something to prove to the coaches and to myself and I'm ready to be here and I'm ready to play. It's just a matter of time and a matter of it showing."

Sweed certainly casts an imposing figure. Standing on the practice field the same weekend Burress was visiting camp looking for a deal, a couple of fans saw the tall guy wearing the No. 80 jersey and shouted "Plaxico!" "Plaxico!"

Never mind that it wasn't Burress but Sweed, who just laughed when asked about it.

"I didn't hear them," Sweed said.

Then again, there are worse receivers to be compared to, and Sweed has shown brief flashes of turning the corner during the opening 10 days of camp. Sweed outjumped two members of the Pittsburgh secondary for a deep ball during a seven-on-seven drill last weekend only to grab his left hamstring has he sprinted toward the end zone.

He sat out a couple of days before returning to the field only to head back to the trainer's room with a shoulder sprain. Asked about Sweed's progress, coach Mike Tomlin says, "I'm here to talk about the guys that are working, not those that aren't."

That's just the way Tomlin is. And besides, the first week of camp has shown that Sweed isn't the only potential big target in camp.

Like Sweed, former West Virginia wide receiver Wes Lyons is long and lean. Unlike Sweed, the 6-8 Lyons isn't hindered by outlandish expectations. He went undrafted in 2010 and didn't make it out of training with the New York Jets last summer

While Lyons doesn't have blazing speed he's caught just about everything that's come his way while working with the reserves.

"I'm just trying to do whatever they ask," Lyons said. "It's pretty much meetings and lots of film work trying to catch up."

He and Sweed better hurry. There are currently 11 receivers in camp, with spots guaranteed to Ward, Wallace, Sanders and Brown. Veteran Arnaz Battle is likely to secure a roster spot because of his contributions on special teams.

That leaves Sweed, Lyons and practice squad leftover Tyler Grisham as the top candidates to grab a slot at the bottom of the depth chart.

Sweed says he's fully healed from the Achilles injury and the hamstring issue is just one of those things that pops up in camp. He's spent too much time away from the game to let a cramp stop him.

"The (NFL) lockout, it felt like a lifetime," he said. "Now that it's over with and I'm back out here running with the team it's just a great feeling."

One he hopes doesn't fade too quickly.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... z1UJz45wqS (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/08/06/sweed.steelers.ap/index.html#ixzz1UJz45wqS)

Snatch98
08-07-2011, 03:06 AM

Update from Jim Wexell:

Maybe God doesn't want Limas in Black and Gold.

Didn't Tomlin indicate that the team doesn't believe the injury is serious. He's just dinged up a little bit. I really think Sweed makes the team this year and makes a impact. As indicated in the articles he definitely has a chip and bringing Plaxico in only fueled that fire. Who knows the Steelers could have brough Plax in to fuel that fire a little more and if Plax did sign to mentor Sweed. He's showing promise in camp and apparently working hard. He'll make the team and turn the corner, at least that's what I'm pulling for....we all should.

Oviedo
08-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Looks like the Sweed is just cursed. Too bad that it may not happen for him.

chiken
08-07-2011, 09:34 AM
If the Steelers sign that Receiver from the Jets that would spell the end of Limas no matter how good his camp is (imho)

Slapstick
08-07-2011, 01:31 PM

Update from Jim Wexell:

Like I've said before, Limas is a world-class malingerer.

I could say something like that about certain posters on this board, but I would never do that for fear of looking like a judgmental prick...

Snatch98
08-07-2011, 01:33 PM
If the Steelers sign that Receiver from the Jets that would spell the end of Limas no matter how good his camp is (imho)

Why? As I said above I'm pretty sure Tomlin said that Sweed is just dinged and I read another article that said he looked solid on special teams gunning. Battle may be a ace on special teams but he doesn't have the ceiling as a receiver that Sweed has assuming Sweed is over his mental distractions. If Sweed can play special teams you cut Battle and keep Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown and Cotchery if he signs. Plus Limas.

fordfixer
08-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Camp could be make or break for Steelers WR Limas Sweed
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 9, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 50614.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750614.html)

Ryan Clark was walking through the Steelers' locker room before Super Bowl XLV when he noticed wide receiver Limas Sweed cutting a lonely figure in front of his stall.

Clark handed Sweed a pair of headphones. The veteran free safety had cued his iPod to his favorite gospel song, "Your Tears," and he left it with Sweed.

"It seemed like he needed something," Clark said. "By the time I came back, he had it on repeat."

Fast forward to the second day of training camp. Sweed, bothered by setbacks on and off the field the past two seasons, declares he is "110 percent" physically and mentally.

He leaves little doubt that he has found his footing -- this following the dropped passes that threatened to be the epitaph of his Steelers career, a stint on the non-injury/illness list and a major foot injury.

Still, one of the intriguing questions of this preseason is whether Sweed can find a spot in the wide receiver rotation after getting passed by Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown.

"I feel like I have something to prove to my coaches and to myself, that I'm ready to be here and that I'm ready to play," Sweed said. "Yeah, I have a chip on my shoulder."

Sweed sprained his shoulder last Saturday, an injury that came after he had already missed several practices because of a balky hamstring. Sweed returned to practice Monday but didn't finish it, and the injuries could be seen as yet another setback for the player who has to gain the trust of his coaches in a hurry.

Then again, Sweed isn't going to play his way onto the 53-man roster by starring during practices at St. Vincent College.

"For him, it's when the lights come on," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "It's just a matter of him getting in games and showing up. He's been here a long time, and it is a make-or-break time."

Seven career catches and no touchdowns put Sweed at this juncture, less than five years after the former University of Texas star slid to the Steelers in the second round of the 2008 NFL draft.

As then, when the Steelers happily snatched up Sweed after taking running back Rashard Mendenhall in the first round, there is much to like about him as a wide receiver.

Sweed is 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, has enough speed to separate from defensive backs and is a capable and willing blocker. What makes Sweed even more of a deep-threat prototype is his 37-inch vertical leap and exceptional body control.

"He's got such strength in his core that he's able to contort his body to do things that a normal guy can't do," said Texas head football strength coach Bennie Wylie, who worked with Sweed during the offseason. "He's one of those kinds of freaks of nature."

Such physical ability, coupled with a willingness to work, is what makes this reality all the more perplexing: Sweed has been the actor who can recite his lines in his sleep but flubs them when the curtain rises.

How else to explain the drop of a perfect Ben Roethlisberger deep pass in the 2008 AFC Championship Game? Or the one in Cincinnati in September 2009, when Sweed dropped a touchdown pass in an eventual loss to the Bengals?

"That was two or three years ago, you know what I mean?" Sweed said of the drops. "I don't know if people think about it or say something about it; I don't worry about it. That's irrelevant."

The drops undoubtedly contributed to the emotional turmoil that caused the Steelers to place Sweed on the non-injury/illness list at the end of the 2009 season. He returned to the team that offseason but ruptured his Achilles tendon in the final practice of minicamp.

Read more: Camp could be make or break for Steelers WR Limas Sweed - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1UVCzPGIn (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750614.html#ixzz1UVCzPGIn)

chiken
08-09-2011, 06:38 AM

Why? As I said above I'm pretty sure Tomlin said that Sweed is just dinged and I read another article that said he looked solid on special teams gunning. Battle may be a ace on special teams but he doesn't have the ceiling as a receiver that Sweed has assuming Sweed is over his mental distractions. If Sweed can play special teams you cut Battle and keep Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Brown and Cotchery if he signs. Plus Limas.

I think bringing in the Cotchery would "cost" Battles Salary as well as Sweeds. He might come cheap but how cheap and how close are we already to the Cap -
I think to get him in here it is going to cost 2 cheap Salaries.. Sweed and Battle.

I want the kid to succeed just like most of us, but with Sanders Gimpy and Ward getting older by the Second, it's putting us in a position where we cant hope and pray for a guy. plus Sweed has never looked bad in the Pre-season.

fezziwig
08-09-2011, 11:35 AM
I would love for Sweed to develope or to be the go to guy and soon but, it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Didn't we have a receiver ( i think Blackwell ) that had all this potential but never got on the field due to injuries ?
To me Sweed has shown even less than Blackwell had.

Hopefully the adversity will make Sweed even better and what have you. I'm in every Steelers players corner but at some point you just need to cut certain players loose.

I would be cool to have Sweed, Wallace and all our young receivers step up this season and be the terror of the NFL. With the sparks of talent they have shown, Ben and these guys could rule the airways.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Sorry Sweed supporters...And I was one. The word I'm getting is Sweed is gonna need a "lights out" preseason to make this roster at this point. You will need to see something better than what Sanders & Brown showed last year in the preseason. Wes Lyons camp performance has moved him ahead of Sweed by many accounts and that...Isn't good. Any when Lyons is looked at as being a PS player to develop...There is nowhere for Sweed to hide.

What a disappointing '08 draft class behind Mendy in rounds where you would hope to get contributions.

papillon
08-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Sorry Sweed supporters...And I was one. The word I'm getting is Sweed is gonna need a "lights out" preseason to make this roster at this point. You will need to see something better than what Sanders & Brown showed last year in the preseason. Wes Lyons camp performance has moved him ahead of Sweed by many accounts and that...Isn't good. Any when Lyons is looked at as being a PS player to develop...There is nowhere for Sweed to hide.

What a disappointing '08 draft class behind Mendy in rounds where you would hope to get contributions.

If that's the case then Sweed has 4 weeks and change to prove he can play. He's going to have to play through some injuries to show anything. The ball is in his court.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-09-2011, 01:14 PM

If that's the case then Sweed has 4 weeks and change to prove he can play. He's going to have to play through some injuries to show anything. The ball is in his court.

Pappy
Pap...If he doesn't show anything starting this week...He might not make it past game 3 of the preseason.

Notleadpoisoned
08-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Wes Lyons camp performance has moved him ahead of Sweed by many accounts and that...Isn't good.
Sorry, but I'm actually rooting for the local kid to make the team over Sweed.

papillon
08-09-2011, 02:05 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1h7t6hlp]Sorry Sweed supporters...And I was one. The word I'm getting is Sweed is gonna need a "lights out" preseason to make this roster at this point. You will need to see something better than what Sanders & Brown showed last year in the preseason. Wes Lyons camp performance has moved him ahead of Sweed by many accounts and that...Isn't good. Any when Lyons is looked at as being a PS player to develop...There is nowhere for Sweed to hide.

Pappy
Pap...If he doesn't show anything starting this week...He might not make it past game 3 of the preseason.[/quote:1h7t6hlp]

I don't know, I'm thinking, simply because of draft position he'll be one of the last cuts if he's going to be cut; unless, of course, if he simply fails.

Pappy

Slapstick
08-09-2011, 02:05 PM
All any of us want is what will be best for the team...personally, I think that would be Limas Sweed regaining his college form...

Camp reports differ...one day, it's Wes Lyons establishing himself as the #6 WR...the next day, Tyler Grisham is the #6 WR...then, Arnaz Battle is having a great camp...then, Sweed is making nice catches and working as the gunner on the punt team...

In any case, the jobs will be won under the lights...we'll see how the players perform this Friday against Washington and go from there...

papillon
08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Wes Lyons camp performance has moved him ahead of Sweed by many accounts and that...Isn't good.
Sorry, but I'm actually rooting for the local kid to make the team over Sweed.

No need to be sorry, at the end of the day, most Steeler fans support the guys that make the team. I know I do, whether it's Sweed or Lyons or both makes no difference to me. They wear the jersey, so I support them.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-09-2011, 03:31 PM
I'll be supporting whomever is on the team. I'm not pulling for one or the other. I'm pulling for the one who will make the Steelers better. Sweed can't win a job in shorts. Sweed can't afford to be throwing a ball to himself on the sideline. The fact that camp has almost come to a close and he didn't seperate himself from people that walked in off the street doesn't help his cause. That being said, what they do in a game will hold their fate. But being around football....It is more common to see a guy who look good in practice but not in a game versus the guy who can't be found in practice but suddenly shows up during a game. The higher level you go...The more it is true. If the light isn't coming on for Sweed in practice after 3 years...He will remain in the dark. The guy will be 27 this year...If this is his prime...I wish him the best.

feltdizz
08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
We all want Sweed to be the 2nd round steal we thought we drafted....

Like I have said in the past....

I've used up all the faith I have on Sweed and it's a little awkward seeing the bar set so low for a 2nd rounder.

If he can't play through these nagging injuries to show he really wants this spot then oh well, good luck at your next job.

feltdizz
08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Iirc

If I remember correctly, we scored a few plays later, on the same drive! I think the real trouble in the Cinci game was a combination of 2 Jeff Reed missed field goals and Brice Arian's inept play calling that could not keep the offense on the field and run out the clock.

I did read Sweed's drop in the Cinci game should have been rules a TD (same as the one they took off Hines Ward earlier in the season). It was a misinterpretation of the "continuation rule" in football. Anyway, I think the rule has been changed or clarified. I remember when they took Hine's TD away (against Cleveland I think) I said, man if I am a WR and score a TD, I am not letting of the ball until after the extra point. It was a bad rule.

I am behind Sweed 100%, we have a special player here. BTW, Jerry Rice's rookie season he dropped 14 passes, Hines Ward was a ST "gunner" until his fourth season, and many people used to call Troy "Bustamoula".

Did I mention I just met Hines? If someone can advise me how to post the picture I will add it here.

ChucktownSteeler

and all of those other guys showed flashes.... Sweed shows he can get open just like Nate Washington but Sweed can't catch.

He NEVER had possession of the TD pass in Cincinnati....

feltdizz
08-09-2011, 03:46 PM
We're talking about Sweed's problems as though they are current...

They aren't...

These drops happened TWO SEASONS AGO!!!

As far as I am concerned, he dealt with his off-the-field problems (with the support of the Steelers...he's in camp, after all!!) back in 2009 and his biggest problem now is reacclimating to the speed of the game after a season-ending injury and a prolonged lockout....

Sweed has talent...his non-football problems are resolved...

All of this crap with Sweed is water under the bridge...he needs to use his talent and make the roster just like anyone else in camp...

Rooting for his at this point is no different that rooting for Barron Batch or an undrafted rookie...

DB's aren't WR for a reason.... and the guy who dropped it was released. Damn shame since he was the only one who looked like he could break on a pass in 2009

Sweed's issues aren't behind him until he catches a wide open TD in an actual NFL game.

Until Sweed does that we have no idea if he is over the fear of catching wide open TD's...

Sweed needs to use his talent and he needs to stop acting like he is a vet. The guy has a nagging injury every other day.

Sounds like Sweed has Longhorn syndrome... in the last 5 years there have been a healthy amount of Texas Longhorn players who have "issues"

Vince Young, Sweed, Sergio Kindle and Ricky Williams..... even Colt McCoy was suspect in the BCS championship but redeemed himself as an NFL player.

steelblood
08-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I think we can't judge Sweed soley on his on-field performance. We are talking about a young man with obvious issues that go beyond physical performance.

feltdizz
08-09-2011, 03:56 PM
I think we can't judge Sweed soley on his on-field performance. We are talking about a young man with obvious issues that go beyond physical performance.

so what do we judge him on? upside? college stats?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-09-2011, 03:58 PM

As a steeler fan and the decision makers of the Steelers...We are all beyond what is going on off field. It's now ONLY about the job...And he can't do it. Unless he stuns everyone this preseason from the coaches and upstairs in the FO...Sweed will not be a member of the Steelers come opening day. I also get the feeling that the Steelers will no sooner than later and won't give him until the last game to finally show up.

Slapstick
08-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Either he'll do it or he won't...

But, come on! None of us knows what will happen. None of us knows what really happened two years ago...

Feel free to offer a theory or some conjecture, but don't act like an authority on the subject of Limas Sweed...

As I stated, any jobs that are up for grabs will be won or lost on the playing field...

Once we see how Sweed, Lyons, Grisham or any of the WRs perform this Friday and the following games, we'll actually know something...

The tape won't lie...

Snatch98
08-09-2011, 06:43 PM

As a steeler fan and the decision makers of the Steelers...We are all beyond what is going on off field. It's now ONLY about the job...And he can't do it. Unless he stuns everyone this preseason from the coaches and upstairs in the FO...Sweed will not be a member of the Steelers come opening day. I also get the feeling that the Steelers will no sooner than later and won't give him until the last game to finally show up.

And go with Lyons and Grisham instead? Limas Sweed will have all of preseason to prove he's worth a roster spot. He was a second round pick as we all know and this preseason is his last chance. We saw that he could block and there is no better mentor in the league than Ward for that. If he's over his "head issues" then it's just a matter of proving it on the field. Consider my mind boggled with all the people saying Grisham or Lyons should be on the roster before Sweed. I personally think if not for the injury this past season he would have already proven himself. Friday will be the first test. Pittsburgh will quit on Sweed when they know 100% he's a lost cause. They aren't going to run the risk of him going elsewhere and tearing it up.

Captain Lemming
08-09-2011, 07:36 PM
[They aren't going to run the risk of him going elsewhere and tearing it up.

Yup, and neither Lyons nor Grisham has the potential to do that. This is why Sweed will have "every opportunity" to win a spot

Think of it THIS WAY.

If those drops two years ago that you all are screaming about is season to cut him HE WOULD NOT BE HERE in the first place.

Why pay a guy all this time if two years ago it was clear he was a bust. It cost the Rooneys money to keep him all this time.

If Sweed stinks it up in the preseason he is gone. Rightfully so.

But if he looks good they wont dump him because of what happened two years ago. That would be foolish.

Snatch98
08-09-2011, 07:59 PM

Yup, and neither Lyons nor Grisham has the potential to do that. This is why Sweed will have "every opportunity" to win a spot

Think of it THIS WAY.

If those drops two years ago that you all are screaming about is season to cut him HE WOULD NOT BE HERE in the first place.

Why pay a guy all this time if two years ago it was clear he was a bust. It cost the Rooneys money to keep him all this time.

But if he looks good they wont dump him because of what happened two years ago. That would be foolish.

Right and if I were a betting man I'd bet he makes the team and contributes. Grisham and Lyons will be practice squad guys and potential call ups. Sweed has elite ability, he just needs to show it and it seems he's past all the "head issues" and just hoping to stay healthy so he can prove himself.

grotonsteel
08-09-2011, 08:45 PM

Think of it THIS WAY.

Right and if I were a betting man I'd bet he makes the team and contributes. Grisham and Lyons will be practice squad guys and potential call ups. Sweed has elite ability, he just needs to show it and it seems he's past all the "head issues" and just hoping to stay healthy so he can prove himself.

Sweed has talent but you can't be in 53 by staying on sideline during Training Camp. Half the time Sweed is injured. Grisham seems to be Ben's fave target atleast in training Camp.

Sweed will have to play well in preseason to make the 53 man squad.

Slapstick
08-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Think of it THIS WAY.

I agree...

If what someone did two years ago was a reason not to have them on the roster, then why entertain Plaxico Burress?

What he did is MUCH worse...

hawaiiansteel
08-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Sweed has talent but you can't be in 53 by staying on sideline during Training Camp. Half the time Sweed is injured.

:Agree

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1295326/37147960E.jpg

Steelers receiver Limas Sweed is attended to by head trainer John Norwig during practice at St. Vincent College Aug. 2011. (Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review)

Captain Lemming
08-09-2011, 11:44 PM

Think of it THIS WAY.

Sweed has talent but you can't be in 53 by staying on sideline during Training Camp. Half the time Sweed is injured. Grisham seems to be Ben's fave target atleast in training Camp.

Sweed will have to play well in preseason to make the 53 man squad.

I said:

You JUST agreed with me.

I said NOTHING about if he cant play the rest of the preseason. He CANNOT PLAY WELL, if he is not playing at all.

My point is two years ago mean nothing if he plays well.

fordfixer
08-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Ben finds a target in two-minute drill

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 1bad40c431 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ben-finds-a-target-in-two-minute-drill/dfb620f6-3e0b-4072-abe0-851bad40c431)

Posted 7 hours ago

With Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders on the sidelines with injuries, Ben Roethlisberger needed another target during the two-minute drill in practice on Tuesday.

And he found one in a player most fans don’t think of immediately when they think of the team’s wide receivers – second-year guy Tyler Grisham.

Roethlisberger went deep to Grisham for the only touchdown in the drill.

“When everyone is down we have to throw to somebody,” said Roethlisberger. “He made a good play out there.”

Grisham has quietly become a steady performer, someone who can play just about any role in the passing game and has solid hands. But he is behind guys like Wallace, Sanders, Antonio Brown and Hines Ward.

“I think he is doing big things,” said Roethlisberger. “He learns the offense. You have to give him credit because he moves around to about four or five positions. He makes one mistake a day, but he is playing 30 different positions. You have to respect that.

“He hsd good hands when he focuses. When he drops one of the easier ones he loses concentration. When he stays focused he has really, really good hands. If we need him to step up and play he can do it and I have confidence he can do it.”

During the two-minute drill crowd noise was played and fans around the sidelines were asked to make noise as well as the team prepares for a road preseason game in Washington on Friday night.

“That is just getting us ready,” said Roethlisberger. “It’s nothing more than getting ready just in case, even though the preseason is never that loud.

“I don’t think it has sunk in yet that we play on Friday. Part of the reason is we lose track of what day it is up here. Once we get on the airplane it will start to sink in that it’s game week or preseason week and it’s time to get going. “

Without an offseason every team is in the same situation as far as where they are in training camp, but Roethlisberger doesn’t think the Steelers are any further behind than they have been in the past and he credits that to having a veteran team.

“That is what is going to help us, having the veteran guys and the leadership we have,” said Roethlisberger. “It is unusual circumstance we are in, but we have veteran guys who have been here and done that before. The offseason was almost beneficial to the guys. It’s something where we can step up and be ready to go.”

Wallace missed practice on Tuesday with a groin injury and while Roethlisberger said he joked with him about missing practice, he also sang the young receiver’s praises.

"Every day he gets better,” said Roethlisberger. “He has taken big strides from year one to year two and now you can tell the big difference to this year. We have gotten to the point where he is doing a lot of different routes that are going to be key to him to evolve has a wide receiver. Every year we see him progress.”

feltdizz
08-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Sweed has talent but you can't be in 53 by staying on sideline during Training Camp. Half the time Sweed is injured.

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1295326/37147960E.jpg

Steelers receiver Limas Sweed is attended to by head trainer John Norwig during practice at St. Vincent College Aug. 2011. (Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review)

This guy^ :wft

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-10-2011, 09:12 AM
It is obvious some of you are in love with a college standout & don't have any idea how the pecking order sits. The point about Lyons & Grisham IS they are PS material and developmental players. If they are looking better and camp and during the games...There is no way the Steelers will waste a spot on Sweed AGAIN regardless of what round they picked him in. Nobody suggested Lyons & Grisham make the 53 at Sweeds expense. If the are 53 material..They will make it. But they won't put Sweed on the 53 after being beat out by a PS WR...Just because he was a 2nd 3 years ago. I would be extremely pleased if Sweed is the player we all hoped he would be. I have been around the game of football long enough to know it is very rare to find a "gameday gamer". It just doesn't happen enough to hold out hope for it. It is even more rare to see it happen to a player 3 years into his career at the NFL level regardless of issues, circumstances, excuses, or injury. Move on people...The quicker you forget about Sweed the faster you will care about someone who will help the Steelers. I don't hold any ill feelings toward Sweed...I aslo don't hold any hope.

feltdizz
08-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I would love to see Sweed make it as a Steeler but the majority of reports talk more abouit his injuries than his progress in practice.

I know his drops are in the past but so are his highlights...

Slapstick
08-10-2011, 10:36 AM
It is obvious some of you are in love with a college standout & don't have any idea how the pecking order sits. The point about Lyons & Grisham IS they are PS material and developmental players. If they are looking better and camp and during the games...There is no way the Steelers will waste a spot on Sweed AGAIN regardless of what round they picked him in. Nobody suggested Lyons & Grisham make the 53 at Sweeds expense. If the are 53 material..They will make it. But they won't put Sweed on the 53 after being beat out by a PS WR...Just because he was a 2nd 3 years ago. I would be extremely pleased if Sweed is the player we all hoped he would be. I have been around the game of football long enough to know it is very rare to find a "gameday gamer". It just doesn't happen enough to hold out hope for it. It is even more rare to see it happen to a player 3 years into his career at the NFL level regardless of issues, circumstances, excuses, or injury. Move on people...The quicker you forget about Sweed the faster you will care about someone who will help the Steelers. I don't hold any ill feelings toward Sweed...I aslo don't hold any hope.

OR...

Perhaps we could see what happens over the course of the next 4 weeks and the 4 preseason games, since that is ultimately where the decisions will be made by the coaches and not by reporters' tweets and message board opinions...

feltdizz
08-10-2011, 10:47 AM
OR...

Perhaps we could see what happens over the course of the next 4 weeks and the 4 preseason games, since that is ultimately where the decisions will be made by the coaches and not by reporters' tweets and message board opinions...

That's boring... :nono

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-10-2011, 11:49 AM

OR...

Sweed might not get 4 weeks to prove he belongs. So you really think the staff will give him all 4 games? Do you really think if he doesn't put up some productive numbers before the first cut he will stick around? Interesting. I give him until 8/18 to decide his own fate. If he doesn't seperate himself from the rest of the pack...The 8/27 game will be his last as a Steeler. I hope opening day we could all discuss how close Sweed was to not being on the 53 and what a great story he is...But I have little hope that will be the case.

Captain Lemming
08-10-2011, 07:32 PM
OR...

That's boring... :nono

:lol:

Slapstick
08-10-2011, 08:41 PM
I've figured out the best way to explain it...

The other WRs on the bubble can only make decisions hard for the coaches...

Only Sweed can make the decision easy...

If Tyler Grisham has a good preseason, it makes it difficult for the team to cut him...

If Limas Sweed has a good preseason, it makes it easy for him to make the team...

On the flipside, if he doesn't, it then becomes easy to cut him...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-11-2011, 08:34 AM
It is going to take a very good preseason for Sweed to make it. Being injured through camp and staying in the crowd of 2nd year players and rookies does not have the staff happy. I expect a big dose of Sweed through the first two games to give him added pressure to see how he responds. Drops, missed reads, or injury...Sweed era ends. The performance of the other receivers behind Brown have no impact on what happens to Sweed. 3 years in Sweed has to show he belongs. Playing to & with his competition at WR will not earn him a spot this year. Sweed has every opportunity to prove me wrong. His camp was not a good start.

feltdizz
08-11-2011, 08:51 AM
If Sweed wanted it as much as the fans want it for him he would be a lock... that photo with the iced shoulder disturbs me. Sweed looks old and beat down in that photo.

I'm not a Sweed homer but I want him to bounce back because I fear he could turn for the worse if he doesn't make the team this year.

Slapstick
08-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I don't want him to make the team because I'm a huge Sweed fan...yes, it would be a great story to overcome all of the adversity and BS to make the team...but, I want him to make the team because his ability and skill set is the best possible complement to the Steelers' WR corps...

And, as I said, he can make it an easy decision..no other WR on the bubble can...

pittpete
08-11-2011, 11:46 AM
that photo with the iced shoulder disturbs me. Sweed looks old and beat down in that photo
He looked like he was in his late 30's in that pic.
Sweed is really starting to get on my nerves with his injuries this year.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't want him to make the team because I'm a huge Sweed fan...yes, it would be a great story to overcome all of the adversity and BS to make the team...but, I want him to make the team because his ability and skill set is the best possible complement to the Steelers' WR corps...

And, as I said, he can make it an easy decision..no other WR on the bubble can...

Sweed making this roster is all about Sweed showing he is who they thought he would be. Not a #4 or #5 and a body on ST three years into his career. Everywhere you read the name Antonio Brown in the reports should have been Sweed's name given his situation and the amount of play he should be seeing because of Sanders injury & Ward being on the PUP. The Swan Song is here. It started the first day of camp. It's not like the Electric Company will get his check on Friday right before the game and the light will go on. Hunger, drive, passion, confidence...If it is not there in practice...It doesn't show up running down the tunnel because someone in the crowd dumped a magic potion on him when he comes out. Man..I'm sorry...I hope things would be different. We needed him. I'm not a hater...But I read him and its over. He can prove me wrong...I hope he does.

Snatch98
08-11-2011, 03:07 PM
If Sweed wanted it as much as the fans want it for him he would be a lock... that photo with the iced shoulder disturbs me. Sweed looks old and beat down in that photo.

I'm not a Sweed homer but I want him to bounce back because I fear he could turn for the worse if he doesn't make the team this year.

He looks old because he's going Bald. I thought the same thing but spray paint his head and he'll look a lot younger. Seriously. lol

Captain Lemming
08-12-2011, 12:27 AM

He looks old because he's going Bald. I thought the same thing but spray paint his head and he'll look a lot younger. Seriously. lol

I agree completely,

Signed
29 year old Terry Bradshaw

feltdizz
08-12-2011, 09:04 AM

It's not the hair it's the face... he doesn't look 27.

Oviedo
08-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Here's a wild question: Is Sweed eligible for the Practice Squad?

He hasn't ever played a full season or been active for many games. I have no idea what the rules are off the top of my head.

RuthlessBurgher
08-12-2011, 10:07 AM

It's called gregodenitis. :wink:

http://www.gregoden.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/greg-oden-face.jpg

feltdizz
08-12-2011, 10:26 AM

It's called gregodenitis. :wink:

http://www.gregoden.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/greg-oden-face.jpg

I was thinking about Oden when I typed that...

Portland fans are still waiting on Oden and talking about his upside too...

flippy
08-12-2011, 10:52 AM

Good lord he's old for someone that hasn't contributed yet. I didn't realize he was older coming out of college.

By the time he develops (if he does) he's gonna be past his prime.

DukieBoy
08-12-2011, 10:59 AM
He can look 64 and it's all good if he scores touchdowns and makes all the catches.

steelz09
08-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Is Sweed expected to play tonight? He needs to.

hawaiiansteel
08-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Is Sweed expected to play tonight? He needs to.

Players to Watch in Pittsburgh Steelers' Friday Preseason Opener Against Washington Redskins

by Simonsen on Aug 10, 2011

Limas Sweed, Wide Receiver, #80, 4th Year

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/777448/98773784_crop_650x440_medium.jpg

Limas Sweed – a name that has often been mentioned in the past few years, but hardly ever in was connected to praise. The 2008 second round pick has become synonymous with dropped easy catches, demonstrating his ‘ability’ in the '08 AFC Championship Game against the Baltimore Ravens and a 2009 regular season game against the Cincinnati Bengals. Add to that multiple injuries and a mysterious disappearance two years ago, and Sweed has ‘bust’ written all over him. Right?

Well, not quite. His struggles with the Steelers make it easy to forget the enormous potential this former Texas Longhorn brings with him. At 6 foot 4 and 220 pounds, Sweed could be the big target Ben Roethlisberger has long been craving, and he has also proven to be a willing and able blocker in the run game. He has shown flashes of his ability in camp, making impressive catches while running crisp routes and even playing on special teams as a gunner. Yet once again injuries have bothered him, as he sat out multiple practices because of hamstring and back problems. The beginning of this preseason is huge for Sweed – going into the final year of his rookie contract, his time with the Steelers is over if he can’t impress his coaches when the lights are on.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... hris-scott (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/10/2354394/pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-preseason-baron-batch-keenan-lewis-chris-scott)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Three offseasons and I was talking about Sweed possibly being our "Burress". Now I will take a different approach and make Sweed earn the praise because he hasn't done anything to deserve it.

Come on Sweed...Make me laugh!

RuthlessBurgher
08-12-2011, 03:37 PM

Good lord he's old for someone that hasn't contributed yet. I didn't realize he was older coming out of college.

By the time he develops (if he does) he's gonna be past his prime.

The Eagles drafted a guard in the first round this year who will turn 27 in the middle of his rookie season.