PDA

View Full Version : Without Plax, Steelers' Sweed has tall task

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Without Plax, Steelers' Sweed has tall task

Mon Aug 1, 2011.
By Mike Bires

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/84/284a370e-2ebf-51f0-9933-9ce0428f9028/4e36b664ea33f.preview-300.jpg

Wide receiver Limas Sweed has struggled during his career as a Steeler.

?LATROBE — Plaxico Burress won’t rejoin the Steelers. But they still might have a tall, athletic receiver to whom Ben Roethlisberger can throw.

“I am that guy,” proclaimed Limas Sweed.

Those are strong words from a guy who has had virtually no impact in the NFL, from a guy who’s only caught seven passes since the Steelers took him in the second round of the 2008 draft, from a guy who’s probably down to his last chance to prove he has what it takes to play in the league.

If Sweed can’t overcome the troubles that haunted him, he’s going to get cut and be labeled as one of the biggest busts in Steelers history.

“I’m coming off an injury,” said the former Texas star, who’s 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds. “I battled some things off the field the past couple years and I’m grateful that the Steelers were there to work with me and get me through that.

“I’m back in the right mind mentally and physically. Now it’s time to just play.”

But on Sunday when the Steelers put the pads on for the first time this summer, Sweed was an idle bystander. On Saturday, he tweaked a hamstring muscle in a non-contact practice. So, on the day when the 6-5 Burress signed with the Jets, Sweed once again couldn’t take advantage of an opportunity.

When the first-team offense took the field for the first live 11-on-11 drill of training camp, it lined up in a three-receiver set that included Mike Wallace, Arnaz Battle and Tyler Grisham.

Wallace is a starter. But Battle plays primarily on special teams and didn’t catch a pass last year. Grisham spent most of last season on the practice squad.

Sweed, dressed in a t-shirt and sweatpants, was able to run some sprints at three-quarters speed earlier in practice. But that was about it.

He’ll be able to practice in a day or so.

“It’s just a matter of me going out there and showing my teammates and my coaches that I am that guy,” he said of his desire to be a Burress-type offensive weapon. “That’s the attitude I have. That’s the attitude I’ll have throughout this whole camp.”

It’s encouraging for the Steelers that Sweed has a positive mindset after everything he’s gone through since joining the team.

As a rookie, he was bothered by blurry vision, the result of astigmatism. Contacts corrected that problem.

In December 2009, he mysteriously was placed on the reserve/non-football injury/illness list. Neither Sweed nor the Steelers will say why.

Then last May on the final practice of a three-day mini-camp, he tore his Achilles’ tendon and missed the 2010 season.

Sweed, who’s due to make $555,000 this season if he makes the team, admits there have been times when he lost confidence. But with the help of Steelers management and his teammates, he’s feeling pretty good about himself.

“Going some through some of the things I went through off the field and being distracted, it caused me to lose confidence,” he said. “But going through those things and having the Steelers there to help me get through them, it definitely made me a stronger person.

“That’s why I’m here today, coming back from the Achilles’ injury and some of the things I went through. Those aren’t easy things to come back from. But now, it’s time to rock and roll.”

Wallace, who’s already caught 99 passes in two seasons, remembers what a star Sweed was at Texas when he helped the Longhorns win a national title. Wallace told Sweed that he has to reincarnate himself and be the player he once was.

“I was a big fan of Limas before I ever got here,” said Wallace. “I know what he can do. He just has to get back to his old ways and show it on the field. I just told him the other day, ‘You have to go back to the old Sweed."

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steel ... 9492b.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/without-plax-steelers-sweed-has-tall-task/article_6760494c-64bd-597f-a52c-ede6cca9492b.html)

Djfan
08-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Now would be a good time to be right, Limas. We all want you to be a probowler for the Steelers.

Actions, my brother, not words.

skyhawk
08-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Now WOULD be a good time.

I can't remember any other player getting this lucky and staying on the roster for lack of production.

mshifko
08-01-2011, 08:24 PM
i think he'll be an asset to this offense. i think he knows it's now or never and will step up. he can open things up for our speed guys and i think he'll get it done this season.

MaxAMillion
08-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I expect him to be cut before the season starts.

chiken
08-02-2011, 06:55 AM
So much pressure he is putting on himself - He is one drop away from crying on the field and having to be Carted off.

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Looks like Limas managed to bulk himself up in the upper body a bit compared to his old twig arms:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/84/284a370e-2ebf-51f0-9933-9ce0428f9028/4e36b664ea33f.preview-300.jpghttp://nflsoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/limas-sweed1.jpg