PDA

View Full Version : Free agents left who you think can make a difference?

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
08-01-2011, 06:39 PM
I think we have done well in getting our own signed. With Ben, Harrison and others restructering their contracts I believe Starks will be back--at least Im hopeful.

I also would feel better to add 1-2 possible upgrades.

TE is of need as I feel given Ben another option would be of benefit--ie...Kevin Boss TE

Also we need an upgrade at Cornerback---Brent Grimes? Probably to expensive.

Anyother out there you have your eye on?

JPbucco
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I love the Grimes idea, it could be made to work. Another TE is needed but it will probably be a Jeff King or Ben Patrick type.

I also think we need a veteran LT.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
08-01-2011, 07:32 PM
After watching NFL Network...I believe Asante Samuel would be the perfect fit for us. Trade a #4 rnd pick. The guy is gonna have a huge chip on his shoulder and he makes 5.9 million which isnt that bad of a deal for what your getting. Im just remembering our secondary against the Pack and it makes me ill.

steelerkeylargo
08-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I love the Grimes idea, it could be made to work. Another TE is needed but it will probably be a Jeff King or Ben Patrick type.

I also think we need a veteran LT.

King and Patrick both have new teams.

steelerkeylargo
08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I would love to look at

LeRon McClain
Jason Snelling

Brian Waters
Ryan Harris

Brent Grimes
Carlos Rogers

steelblood
08-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Brent Grimes is a restricted FA with a first round tender.

I'd trade for Samuel if he renegotiated his contract. I'd hate to take on the end of that thing -- ick.

steelblood
08-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I'd sign Carlos Rogers and cut McFadden.

mshifko
08-01-2011, 08:21 PM
none...i think we're good from a FA stand point barring any injuries. i'm content with our offseason thus far.

some people want to go out and get help at DB's. a good secondary is a reflection of the pressure we put on with our front 7. i think if we continue to get pressure our secondary will silence a bunch of critics (mainly fans). we got enough youth to get excited about (brown, allen).

Chadman
08-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Given that we missed on Burress, and Sweed isn't exactly a lock, I'd like the team to look at Laurent Robinson who played for the Rams last year- very smooth route runner & potentially a #1 WR type, but has yet to reach his potential- always flashes some form when fit though.

There really isn't a TE I like in FA now- maybe Gronkowski from the Broncos...Boss would be too pricey I suspect. Probably more than willing to give Saunders a shot there though.

At OT, I'd be interested in Max returning, but if he's too pricey Ryan Cook from the Vikings always intrigued me- massive guy that plays every position including Center- might be worth a look for versatility alone.

I'd kick the tyres of Kemo's brother as a potential NT, but don't really like what else is available more than what is currently on the roster.

No DB of value seems available, or even necessary, considering the drafting of Brown & Allen along with Ike & Gay returning. May as well find your CB's from that group now. That said, if Donte Whitner could be had at value costs, I'd pick him up to possibly compete & replace Ryan Clark.

Only RB worth mentioning might be La'Ron McClain because he's a duel purpose back- blocking & running, and also weakens a divisional rival.

1 or 2 of those guys would do me fine. If I had to prioritise, I'd say Whitner, Robinson then McClain.

chiken
08-02-2011, 07:25 AM
would love To get Grimes in here. He could make a difference.

phillyesq
08-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I would have added Snelling instead of bringing back Moore. I'd be more comfortable with Snelling starting if Mendenhall got hurt. There are a bunch of quality TEs out there, adn I think the Steelers will grab one.

The free agent left tackle market looks slim to non-existant. I would like to see them bring back one of Starks or Flozell. I am not liking Jon Scott/Gilbert at LT.

steelblood
08-02-2011, 08:43 AM

He'd cost a pretty penny and you'd have to give up a first round pick in compensation. Do you really think that is worth it?

chiken
08-02-2011, 08:57 AM

He'd cost a pretty penny and you'd have to give up a first round pick in compensation. Do you really think that is worth it?

yes if it gets us a superbowl win :Cheers
But I was just answering the question as to who would make a difference.. if none of these Cb's Can get it done this year then we will be looking for one next year in the draft (at the bottom of first more than likely) and None of them will be more ready to play in the NFL than this kid. So I imagine that he would be worth a first.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
08-02-2011, 09:54 AM

But I was just answering the question as to who would make a difference.. if none of these Cb's Can get it done this year then we will be looking for one next year in the draft (at the bottom of first more than likely) and None of them will be more ready to play in the NFL than this kid. So I imagine that he would be worth a first.

Grimes isn't worth a first round tender..I didn't realize he was a resricted free agent.

Im hooked on A Samuel. If we could trade a 4th or 5th and have him work the back end of his contract I would be a pretty happy Steeler fan.

ikestops85
08-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Grimes isn't worth a first round tender..I didn't realize he was a resricted free agent.

Im hooked on A Samuel. If we could trade a 4th or 5th and have him work the back end of his contract I would be a pretty happy Steeler fan.

I would love to get A. Samuel in here but I don't think there is any way we have the money to do it.

Could you imagine having another ball hawking DB to go along with Troy? Our secondary would go from a weakness to being obscene.

chiken
08-02-2011, 10:53 AM

I didnt realize that either - but none the less. I live in Atlanta so i guess i have seen enough of the guy to become somewhat of a fan of his. Not saying that A. Samuel isnt the better deal, I have just seen more of Grimes than I have of him. The birds (outside of the Game they were trashed in by the Pack) Played a very good brand of Defense last year on a Fast track.. They played the Saints Twice and the pack twice, 3 of those 4 games he was really solid.

Grimes was targetted a ton because teams mistook him for the weakest link (due to size) and he won considerably more than he lost. He made plays. He plays winning football.

but okay..

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
08-02-2011, 01:42 PM

I would love to get A. Samuel in here but I don't think there is any way we have the money to do it.

Could you imagine having another ball hawking DB to go along with Troy? Our secondary would go from a weakness to being obscene.

Cut BMAC= Save about 2-3 million in cap space should do it!

steelblood
08-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Samuel's contract this season is fair, but future years are very expensive. We'd be on the hook for at his prorated bonus for future years even if we cut him (I believe). That would hurt us in signing guys like Troy, Timmons, and Wallace long term.

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Samuel's contract this season is fair, but future years are very expensive. We'd be on the hook for at his prorated bonus for future years even if we cut him (I believe). That would hurt us in signing guys like Troy, Timmons, and Wallace long term.

The pro-rated bonus only counts against the team who gave it to him...if he is traded, that proration is accelerated into this year's cap....

If the player is traded and a new deal is negotiated, presumably a new signing is given and THAT bonus counts against the new team...the previous bonus goes on the old team's books...

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Samuels remaining salaries:

2011: $5.9 million, 2012: $8.4 million, 2013: $10.4 million

Philly wasn't giving him up for a mid round pick anyway.

NJ-STEELER
08-03-2011, 01:41 AM
rodgers, mckinnie, leonard davis

Discipline of Steel
08-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Given that we missed on Burress, and Sweed isn't exactly a lock, I'd like the team to look at Laurent Robinson who played for the Rams last year- very smooth route runner & potentially a #1 WR type, but has yet to reach his potential- always flashes some form when fit though.

There really isn't a TE I like in FA now- maybe Gronkowski from the Broncos...Boss would be too pricey I suspect. Probably more than willing to give Saunders a shot there though.

At OT, I'd be interested in Max returning, but if he's too pricey Ryan Cook from the Vikings always intrigued me- massive guy that plays every position including Center- might be worth a look for versatility alone.

I'd kick the tyres of Kemo's brother as a potential NT, but don't really like what else is available more than what is currently on the roster.

No DB of value seems available, or even necessary, considering the drafting of Brown & Allen along with Ike & Gay returning. May as well find your CB's from that group now. That said, if Donte Whitner could be had at value costs, I'd pick him up to possibly compete & replace Ryan Clark.

Only RB worth mentioning might be La'Ron McClain because he's a duel purpose back- blocking & running, and also weakens a divisional rival.

1 or 2 of those guys would do me fine. If I had to prioritise, I'd say Whitner, Robinson then McClain.

The Ravens just picked up Vonta Leach so McClain may be on the way out. I would love a surprise signing here!! Back to Steelers football!!

Chadman
08-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Given the situation with Sanders foot, and with Hines winding down- I'd sign up Jerricho Cotchery now that he's been cut by the Jets. Classy player, good receiver. He could fill in as a starter if required, but post-Hines he's the ideal #3 guy. Wallace looks like a long-term starter, Sanders or maybe Sweed could be #2.

Can't hurt to have a guy like Cotchery around.

flippy
08-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Brian Waters - still wants to play another year and wants a shot at a SuperBowl. probably better than any option we have at guard

Leonard Davis - could play G or T. has made plenty of money. maybe now he doesn't care and just wants to win?

TO - We got potential WR health issues. This is a guy that could really take pressure off Wallace. And he seems to have matured the last 2 years and isn't the same distraction he was early in his career. I think he'd come in, work hard, and add significant value to our offense. He looked really good in the one game he played us last year. Probably a way better option than Plax.

Dashon Goldson - Anyone know where he might end up. Seems like a young ball hawk of a FS. Something we might be able to use in our secondary.

Chadman
08-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Trade Dennis Dixon for Taylor Mays...