PDA

View Full Version : ? about fantasy

Shoe
08-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Guys... I'm thinking about getting in a league with friends. Simple question: Can you tell me why you enjoy it? To me, it's always seemed like a bit of a hassle(?) Does it actually add to the enjoyment of games? Like all you guys here of course, Sunday I'm only focused on the Steelers. But after our game is over, I still watch the games. So it's not like I really need something else to interest me. (I also have been known to put a little something on games too. :wink: )

But anyway, I'm just interested in hearing what you enjoy about it. For me the main reason I'd like to do it is to keep in contact and have something else of common interest with old friends (talk trash, trades, etc) who live all around the country nowadays.

Thanks!

Steelgal
08-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I played last year for the first time, in an all-female league. ONly knew one of the other people, the host, but had a great time. I'm a pretty competitive person, so I made way more moves than everyone else. There was no money involved in this league, so I wasn't out anything, but time. I liked putting the roster together and updating it each week. Made me really look at other teams and figure out who to play when. I learned more about the game I think.

flippy
08-01-2011, 04:09 PM
It's like gambling and makes the games more fun for the same reasons.

The draft is the best part. And it's all about the mathematical system based on how your league is set up. All leagues are different - different number of teams, different players you need to start, different benches, different scoring systems, etc. I've been in league where a QB like Brady is the difference between winning and losing and others where you were dead without quality RBs. The differences in the way leagues are set up is huge. Some leagues value TDs over touches and vice versa. Some give high points to yardage. Others don't. Know your system.

The key is building backward. Go for a solid team that targets having the best players/matchups for your playoffs on teams that will be in the hunt but not resting players come playoff time.

And do what other teams aren't doing. If others are grabbing all the best QBs, RBs early get yourself a top D, WR, TE earlier than they do. And don't be afraid to overload your bench with a certain position. Always grab better quality for your bench even if you can't use them because there will be good trade opportunities.

It's also fun to find sleepers and to make fun of your buddy in Chicago that drafts Matt Spaeth in round 4.

It's also good to take chances. Rookie RBs can have much higher potential than a #1, #2, or #3 WR for example. And you can always find a WR even in a big league that makes you start 3.

I also don't draft kickers. Take a chance on a skill player and figure out your kicker minutes before you get to week 1.

And you'll have more fun the less Steelers you have on your team. And if you can avoid playing guys that are playing against the Steelers you'll enjoy it more as well since it's kinda crazy watching a Steelers game and rooting for unnatural things to happen.

It also sucks when you have to root for the Ravens or Cowboys or Raiders because of a guy on your fantasy team. So I try to avoid players from teams I don't like if it's a wash between 2 choices.

And make sure your league has rules around the waiver wire additions. Because if you don't, some dbag in your league will be online 24x7 grabbing any and everyone at all times and it can mess with the spirit/competitiveness of the league.

Most of all, trash talking's probably the best part of the week to week stuff.

It's a blast. It feeds the gambling addiction but doesn't typically cost as much as gambling can when betting on games.

phillyesq
08-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Guys... I'm thinking about getting in a league with friends. Simple question: Can you tell me why you enjoy it? To me, it's always seemed like a bit of a hassle(?) Does it actually add to the enjoyment of games? Like all you guys here of course, Sunday I'm only focused on the Steelers. But after our game is over, I still watch the games. So it's not like I really need something else to interest me. (I also have been known to put a little something on games too. :wink: )

But anyway, I'm just interested in hearing what you enjoy about it. For me the main reason I'd like to do it is to keep in contact and have something else of common interest with old friends (talk trash, trades, etc) who live all around the country nowadays.

Thanks!

I've been running a league that is now in it's 7th season. A few of the participants seem to change, but it's essentially been the same core every year. We have 5 or 6 different states represented, but FF is a convenient way to get in touch. There is always some good trash talking, and when a group of us get together, it makes watching other games more interesting.

Chadman
08-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Because if you don't, some dbag in your league will be online 24x7 grabbing any and everyone

Hey!!

That's me you're talking about!!

:twisted:

Shoe
08-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks everybody for the replies. Thanks flippy for the great advice.

Is there a difference in where you set-up your league (online)? I want a minimum of effort in administrating the league. Yahoo, nfl.com, espn, etc. Any difference? I envision setting up our own divisions, within our "league", to add to the whole thing. Can that be done?

Keep thoughts coming. Thanks again.

Steelgal
08-01-2011, 05:49 PM
I've only played on Yahoo and liked it. YOu didn't have to be there for the draft, just rated the players you wanted and edit out anyone you didn't. It was easy to make weekly changes and I thought it had a very user-friendly format. Not sure about the rest since I have no experience with them.

flippy
08-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks everybody for the replies. Thanks flippy for the great advice.

Is there a difference in where you set-up your league (online)? I want a minimum of effort in administrating the league. Yahoo, nfl.com, espn, etc. Any difference? I envision setting up our own divisions, within our "league", to add to the whole thing. Can that be done?

Keep thoughts coming. Thanks again.

Get someone else to manage the league :)

I think it's more work/less fun when you run things.

I've always preferred yahoo over other sites.

D Rock
08-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I've run a bunch of leagues on Yahoo. You can do divisions there.

It's a minimal amount of work to set up early on...just picking roster positions, a draft time, and point settings basically.

After that I don't do anything commissioner wise really. Just let the season play itself out and enjoy.

Snatch98
08-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I've been doing it for a while now. I think my first season was 2005 so not as long as some but still for a good long while. It just makes the rest of the NFL season more enjoyable because you're usually vested in some way to every game during that week. You may not have a player in a certain game but chances are good the guy you're playing does or the guy at the top of the league does. I'm very competitive so fantasy football adds a additional level during the NFL season. I'll never not do it because it makes the season that much more enjoyable. HOWEVER I try to avoid Steeler players when possible unless they're the can't miss guys. Although I've developed a disconnect most of the time. I used to hate having say Ben as my QB and then one of our RB's run it in for the score lol. Bitter sweet.

Either way anyone that is AT all interested I'd encourage 100% to give it a try. Chances are good you'll never go back to not doing it. I always do it with friends with some cash on the line. I play in a 150 dollar a team league and a 50. Last year I won a bunch of cash. Great, great time.

Know you're scoring system and pick up a mag or two. Throw them in the bathroom and look at them until the draft. I usually put together a "list" a few days before the draft and have at it. The sportingnews fantasy mag is pretty solid. ESPN isn't doing one this year. I also have another one but I'm drawing blanks on the publisher. Standard scoring vs PPR or Points per reception also changes the rank of certain players so as I said above be aware of your scoring. Most basic leagues run a standard scoring set. Above all else have fun. :)

pittpete
08-01-2011, 07:32 PM
It really really sucks when you lose and the Steelers lose...
Take my word for it....
Draft is the best part of the fantasy football.....

Discipline of Steel
08-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Someone has to provide the alternate point of view... I used to love fantasy football and probably still do but i quit 3 years ago. I enjoyed it so much, i was either tinkering with my team or reading stats of other players every single day. True it made me learn about more of the players in the NFL but i decided i didnt really need that. An hour a day can start to add up. Now i know all the Steelers and most of the other players in the league, just not from a stat standpoint. What can i get from this or that player...it no longer matters. I no longer hope for players i detest to score. I am free to enjoy the story of each game as it unfolds and not worry about who the hero was.

Northern_Blitz
08-01-2011, 09:34 PM
To me it's like filling out a bracket for March Madness.

FF gives me an emotional stake in games I wouldn't otherwise care about.

Chadman
08-01-2011, 09:40 PM
I like FF because it gives me the chance to beat the cyber-hell out of you guys every year.

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Because if you don't, some dbag in your league will be online 24x7 grabbing any and everyone

Hey!!

That's not why you're a dbag! We understand that when you are making waiver claims at 2:00 a.m. here, that it is actually the middle of the day over there.

ikestops85
08-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks!

Here is where it gets interesting. You are watching a game between Arizona and San Fran. Not exactly "must see" TV. However, San Fran has the ball 1st and goal at the one yard line. You have on your fantasy team Frank Gore and your fantasy opponent has Michael Crabtree on his team. You figure SF will use Gore to pound it in and you will get 6 points. Instead they have a 1st down play action fake to Gore and throw a TD to Crabtree. So you thought you had a sure 6 and inturn your opponent gets 6 points. It's heartbreaking ... and what makes fantasy fun.

I program my Directv receiver to keep track of my players and I get a scroll along the bottom of the screen when they do something. It's really cool.

Shoe
08-02-2011, 12:57 PM
HOWEVER I try to avoid Steeler players when possible unless they're the can't miss guys. Although I've developed a disconnect most of the time. I used to hate having say Ben as my QB and then one of our RB's run it in for the score lol. Bitter sweet.

Haha. Yes, but what about when you are playing against Ben in fantasy?

D Rock
08-02-2011, 05:44 PM
HOWEVER I try to avoid Steeler players when possible unless they're the can't miss guys. Although I've developed a disconnect most of the time. I used to hate having say Ben as my QB and then one of our RB's run it in for the score lol. Bitter sweet.

Haha. Yes, but what about when you are playing against Ben in fantasy?

I hope for 4 Mendenhall TDs.

Or for Ben do do great, but my QB to have a better week.

Chadman
08-02-2011, 06:12 PM

Hey!!

That's not why you're a dbag! We understand that when you are making waiver claims at 2:00 a.m. here, that it is actually the middle of the day over there.

That's what I call an advantage... :tt2

kiwi_sarah
08-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Simple question: Can you tell me why you enjoy it?

I'm a complete and utter masochist.

kiwi_sarah
08-02-2011, 07:10 PM

hmmm, NZ is a few hours ahead of Aussie, but even so, I don't have the dedication to make more moves than you Chad!

Chadman
08-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I got moves babeeeeee... :tt1

flippy
08-02-2011, 07:57 PM
You can set up waiver wire rules so the worst team gets the first shot at the best available players. It makes for a more competitive league. The open waiver wire means someone in your league will be up at all hours making moves that you won't be able to make and gain an unfair advantage.

I loved open waiver wires while I was in college, but hate them now that I have responsibility.

I heard Jalen Rose a few weeks back saying he plays in 8 leagues. That sounds like too much to me. Curious how many leagues you guys/gals are in. I try to keep it to 1-2 leagues. I may not play this year due to lack of time. Last season I didn't have time to keep up and was the laughing stock of my league.

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2011, 12:35 PM
You can set up waiver wire rules so the worst team gets the first shot at the best available players. It makes for a more competitive league. The open waiver wire means someone in your league will be up at all hours making moves that you won't be able to make and gain an unfair advantage.

I loved open waiver wires while I was in college, but hate them now that I have responsibility.

I heard Jalen Rose a few weeks back saying he plays in 8 leagues. That sounds like too much to me. Curious how many leagues you guys/gals are in. I try to keep it to 1-2 leagues. I may not play this year due to lack of time. Last season I didn't have time to keep up and was the laughing stock of my league.

At least you are consistent, flip, since you are the laughing stock of this board and all... :wink:

Personally, I'm usually only in 2 leagues. I heard Meat Loaf on the radio saying that he's in 50-something fantasy leagues once. I guess you got that kind of time if you are on a tour bus with wi-fi all day, driving from concert venue to concert venue on tour.

kiwi_sarah
08-03-2011, 07:20 PM
At least you are consistent, flip, since you are the laughing stock of this board and all... :wink:

Personally, I'm usually only in 2 leagues. I heard Meat Loaf on the radio saying that he's in 50-something fantasy leagues once. I guess you got that kind of time if you are on a tour bus with wi-fi all day, driving from concert venue to concert venue on tour.

No wonder he keeps passing out.

I'm limiting myself to two this year. Hoping to avoid the end-of-season burnout. :roll: