PDA

View Full Version : Dixon to Return

phillyesq
08-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I guess he was not generating a lot of interest on the FA market.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/30040/qb-dixon-will-sign-tender-with-steelers

Barring injury, this likely means that Batch is on the chopping block. I've always liked Batch, and he did a great job last year.

Steelgal
08-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I know it's a division rival, but surprised the Ravens showed no interest. Flacco's backup, Mark Bulger, just retired and I have no idea who their #3 is.

Oviedo
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
I know it's a division rival, but surprised the Ravens showed no interest. Flacco's backup, Mark Bulger, just retired and I have no idea who their #3 is.

That is because the league saw enough of him last year to know he has no future except as a #3 emergency QB.

I really don't like all these marginal verterans like Dixon and Moore coming back.

phillyesq
08-01-2011, 01:43 PM

That is because the league saw enough of him last year to know he has no future except as a #3 emergency QB.

I really don't like all these marginal verterans like Dixon and Moore coming back.

Although I don't necessarily agree, I can understand why you'd be opposed to Moore returning. But I don't understand opposition to Dixon. The Steelers did not draft a qb project this year, he knows the system, and he will likely be the #3 behind Lefty. This isn't huring the team or taking time away from a draft pick. And Dixon is relatively young. I don't think particularly highly of him, but there are worse things than a 3rd string QB with athleticism that knows the system (even if he isn't much of a passer).

Oviedo
08-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Although I don't necessarily agree, I can understand why you'd be opposed to Moore returning. But I don't understand opposition to Dixon. The Steelers did not draft a qb project this year, he knows the system, and he will likely be the #3 behind Lefty. This isn't huring the team or taking time away from a draft pick. And Dixon is relatively young. I don't think particularly highly of him, but there are worse things than a 3rd string QB with athleticism that knows the system (even if he isn't much of a passer).

I'd rather keep Batch. He does more on the sidlines than Dixon ever could. He is like having an assistant OC/QB Coach on the sideline working with Ben. Dixon offers nothing.

Steelgal
08-01-2011, 03:16 PM

I'd rather keep Batch. He does more on the sidlines than Dixon ever could. He is like having an assistant OC/QB Coach on the sideline working with Ben. Dixon offers nothing.

I'm hoping they find a way to keep Batch, as an asst. QB coach or something. He's a great aide, it seems, to Ben and could help the other guys as well. Not sure if he wants to 'retire' yet, but he would definately be an asset on the sidelines.