PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have yet to address their two biggest weaknesses

hawaiiansteel
07-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Steelers have yet to address their two biggest weaknesses

WRITTEN BY BAM | 29 JULY 2011

Free agency is usually a pretty quiet time for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The biggest news most years is the team cutting a veteran player like Joey Porter or Antwaan Randle-El and rarely does the franchise get into bidding wars for the services of star players via free agency.

The team's commitment to building through the draft and adding complementary players instead of stars is one of the biggest reasons they are competitive nearly every season.

That said, it is hard not to be a little bit worried when the team enters the 2011 season without making much, if any, improvements on their two biggest weaknesses: offensive line and pass defense.

Teams who were able to beat the Steelers in 2010 typically did so by putting pressure on Ben Roethlisberger and dominating the Steelers' patchwork offensive line and by aggressively attacking the team's secondary with a quick passing attack. As it stands now, those tactics will likely work against the team in 2011 as well.

On the offensive line, the Steelers return their three interior lineman -- Chris Kemoeatu, Maurkice Pouncey and Ramon Foster. Doug Legursky has also proven to be a valuable backup who can play all three positions. At tackle, the team started Jonathan Scott and Flozell Adams at left and right tackle in the Super Bowl, respectively. Adams has since been released and the team re-signed now healthy RT Willie Colon who will become the team's starting RT. Colon is probably a slight upgrade at RT over Adams, but Scott, to borrow a baseball term, is the definition of replacement level. He's certainly one of the poorer starting LT's in the NFL.

Pouncey will likely improve in year two and Kemoeatu is one of the best run blockers in the game, but the unit as a whole remains very shaky and a weakness on the team. Rookie OT Marcus Gilbert might get a shot, but he's a long ways away from being a capable starter, one would think. There's no real reason to expect the offensive line to perform better in 2011 than it did in 2010.

The team's most glaring weakness last season was defending the pass. The starting defensive backs last year were Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden, Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark. All four return and will almost certainly lead the depth chart in their positions. The scary thing is you could argue that three of the four have already played their best football and, collectively, they didn't play very well last year despite an MVP season from Polamalu.

As far as the depth chart goes, it too will look pretty similar to 2010. The Steelers drafted Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen in April, whether they turn into Devin McCourty or Joe Burnett remains to be seen but returning players like William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Ryan Mundy and Crezdon Butler will enter training camp as the next DBs in line.

While the names remain largely the same in the defensive backfield, the one wild card the Steelers might have working in their favor is health. Polamalu and McFadden were both very beat up during the playoffs and were embarrassed by Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay during the Super Bowl. A healthy Polamalu alone could have been enough to swing the tide during that game in an entirely different direction.

The Steelers best bet to improve in pass defense is to simply stay healthy. That's not a high percentage fix given the age and injury history of the group's best defenders.

So while the Steelers long-term personnel strategy is sound and adding young talent like Gilbert, Brown and Allen will one day pay off, it is somewhat frustrating to see other AFC powers making huge splashes the past few days that will make their team immediately better this season.

The Steelers have as good of a shot to win the Super Bowl as anybody this season and with many of the team's core players nearing their mid-30s, this could be the best chance at another Lombardi Trophy for a couple of years at least. Here's to hoping that the team's long term strategy of building through the draft finds a way to pay off in the short term as well.

http://blitzburghblog.com/2011-articles ... gency.html (http://blitzburghblog.com/2011-articles/july/steelers-offensive-line-cornerback-free-agency.html)

flippy
07-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Defense is about getting pressure on the QB. Do that and any CBs will be fine.

With Smitty, Ziggy, and Brett, we've got a heck of a rotation on the DLine that's gonna be huge for this D. I don't expect much from Heyward, but if he contributes at all, this D Line could be sick.

I'm hoping to see some improvement from Worldis and Sylvester and if those 2 can perform like I think they can, we're gonna have a heck of a front 7 rotation that should be able to sustain a heck of a pass rush.

BMac, Ike, and Gay are 3 quality corners imho. Ike and BMac aren't gonna give up the big play on the outside and both are excellent tacklers. We're gonna be alright with a healthy BMac. And Gay's solid in the slot. He's a big playmaker and works hard. I expect more consistency out of him.

Our real weakness is our safeties in coverage. Hate to say it, but Clark and Troy aren't the best cover guys. They're both really good players, just not as helpful in coverage as some other safeties that can really play centerfield and defend the pass. But they have their strengths that other safeties don't. And if we can pressure the QB more consistently, we just have to be solid in coverage and not give up the big plays.

If we don't give up the big plays and get more splash plays out of the front 7, we'll be the top D in the league again.

It's a system where DBs aren't set up to be the superstars. It is what it is. And our guys fit the system so long as we generate consistent pressure.

Re: the line, we're gonna be fine. Scott doesn't get enough credit. And Legursky's gonna finally lock down the RG spot. And we're gonna be a ok.

I think Sanders injury might be an opening for Brown and that kid is explosive. I think it could be a blessing in disguise. Brown and Wallace will draw guys out of the box and make pass pro easier because it's gonna be dangerous to blitz with the dangerous Wallace and Brown on the field.

Chadman
08-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Well, if Plex is now a Jet, I guess this gives Sweed another shot. Regardless of it being Plex or Sweed- having a big target in the Red Zone makes the offense better, so hopefully Sweed can finally get some game time. I think the biggest difference from last year & this year on Offense will have to come from scheme- the Steelers will need to unleash the passing game a little more this year as it really is the strength of the team now. Mendy's running was very good last year & he had several good games. But the real strength comes from Ben- so i predict the Steelers might air it out a little more. I don't know how much difference we'll see with Jon Scott at LT compared to Starks- maybe none. And Colon's return is good, because he's nowhere near as bad as advertised on here. One little wrinkle that might come up if Scott struggles- could the Steelers look to move Ramon Foster to LT & insert Legursky at RG?

The D looks to be returning all of last years guys with few 'improvements'. In fact, it would seem the Steelers are looking to the future first & foremost in regards to the D. That said, if Timmons & Woodley can continue to improve, we might just see the D be a little more menacing this year. I suspect Timmons might be in for a big year. Having a healthy Troy will be massive, but don't underestimate the value of a healthy B-Mac, who was, despite some people's beliefs, doing quite well before he hurt his hip last season (an injury he didn't seem to fully recover from). I'm still concerned that Ryan Clark doesn't provide enough coverage ability at FS, but with enough pressure, the point is probably moot. The key to the D this year comes from the front 3 again, and either the return of Aaron Smith or the progression of Ziggy Hood will determine how far improved the DL can be. Cam Heyward will likely get a few reps, but isn't likely to effect the season much.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned much- with such a shortened off season, the importance of 'familiarity' both with the team & with the playbook may be crucial, particularly early. Teams that are getting a high turnover of players are still going to be trying to gel by the 3rd or 4th game this season- in this, the Steelers may have an early advantage & may spring a great start over the rest of the AFC North.

chiken
08-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Nobody mentions the injury to James down the stretch. Those teams that Blew us away were going into max protection and sending a couple guys out on the route.. We thought that was the key, but Really us being beat up in the secondary (bmac and Troy) and James not getting any push off the edge probably had more to do with that than anything else.

If these guys are healthy and if we can get some production out of Worlids - We could be back to terrorizing the league on defense.

pittpete
08-01-2011, 09:22 AM
BMac, Ike, and Gay are 3 quality corners imho. Ike and BMac aren't gonna give up the big play on the outside and both are excellent tacklers. We're gonna be alright with a healthy BMac. And Gay's solid in the slot. He's a big playmaker and works hard. I expect more consistency out of him.

I strongly disagree with this statement.
While BMAC was supposedly hurt, he is less than consistent and Gay looks lost sometimes...
Ill use last season as evidence in my rebuttal :wink:

feltdizz
08-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Stop saying Sweed's name until he catches a TD in an actual game.

flippy
08-01-2011, 09:34 AM

I strongly disagree with this statement.
While BMAC was supposedly hurt, he is less than consistent and Gay looks lost sometimes...
Ill use last season as evidence in my rebuttal :wink:

I just searched for some analysis to back up what I see from BMac on the field and here's an article I came across:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... es-in-2010 (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/6/20/2227826/breaking-down-the-steelers-broken-tackle-rates-in-2010)

Supports how good of a tackler BMac is. And that's most important in Lebeau's system. Don't give up the big play and make the tackle.

BMac was built for Lebeau.

He really is about a perfect fit for our system.

Too many people overlook how good a tackler BMac is.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Let us assume that last season was the standard of what it takes to make it to the SB. I have more faith that the D will sustain or grow beyond that than the O. Here is where I would see potential for improvement or decline from the team that played in the SB last year (i.e. Scott and Flozell, not Starks and Colon).

D:

+

- We played much of the season without Smith so having him back is a + and the continued improvement of Ziggy is a +

- Hopefully healthy BMac I have a feeling will be a huge change

- Harrison and Troy were in bad shape by the SB

- One more year of seasoning for the depth players - Sylvester, Worilds, Lewis or Butler,

- New rookie depth on DL played 5 technique in college

minus

- One year older for Snack, Keisel, Smith, Farrior

O:

+

- Second year improvement for Pouncey, Brown, and Sanders (if healthy)

- Seasoning of Wallace

- While he was underwhelming, Scott did show improvement throughout the year so maybe that can continue

- Ben has all of TC to get down the timing with his guys, and the first four games as well

- Can our line be injured as badly as it was by the SB? How bad does it kill continuity when we lose one guy pre-season, the second mid-season, and the third in the last game before the SB?

minus

- Ward is one year older

- Kemo is one year dumber

- Question marks surrounding health of Colon, Ward, and Kemo

- We have dodged so many bullets with this Oline.......we have to pray that this is not the year where we pay the price for that

RuthlessBurgher
08-01-2011, 01:38 PM
- Kemo is one year dumber

:lol:

Doogie36
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
SOME and i mean only some of you frustrate the crap out of me when reading these forums. When i read about our secondary and the lack of this or that or whatever the case may be it frustrates me to no end.

We went to the SUPERBOWL with this secondary. Let that sink in for a second. SUPERBOWL. We complain about losing the SUPERBOWL!!!! The SUPERBOWL!! LOL There are 30 other teams wishing to have just gone to the superbowl. We whine like spoiled little children.

This HORRIBLE defense kept us in the game and we were 1 drive away from winning.

Our D is designed to do one thing to help the secondary and that's PUT PRESSURE on the QB! Green Bay's line held us in check and it exposed a zone defense which is what Brady, Manning, Brees, and even GRADKOWSKI did 1 time. Shoot you can add in KITNA as well!! QB's will light us up time to time playing that style of Defense! 1 game or 1 loss doesnt mean we need to overhaul the entire secondary!

Did we complain about William Gay in the Bengals game last year? Dude destroyed them on that block punt. Did we complain about the Ike Taylor blitz against the Ravens and William Gay picking up the fumble? We take RISKS and we gamble on Defense and when you do that you will get burnt once inawhile. Watch the Superbowl tape again and tell me TROY was 100%. Troy is the key!!!! We can win games without many players but TROY is not 1 of them. Add in Harrison's back, no pouncey, No Aaron, Sanders went out hurt, and Troy being hurt. We were 1 drive away from winning the SUPERBOWL. Stop crying already!!!! We have a damn good team and a damn good shot of getting back to the Superbowl.

We have a salary cap and a team who is willing to spend EVERY penny of that CAP! We can't sign EVERYONE!

When we complain we sound like SPOILED BRATS. We have it good and I know of a lot of teams who would love to have our ISSUES!

Lets back the players we do have on this team and cheer our butts off for them! If we put the pressure on the QB we wouldnt have any issues! Remember the Eagles game a few years ago when Ben had 0.2 seconds to throw the ball? Were the CB's even needed in that game? How about the Giants win in the SUPERBOWL? who were the Giants corners??? Brady was on his back for the first time all year and he lost! We barely touched Rodgers in that game! Give any QB that much time and he will tear any team apart.

I'm not saying we have a great secondary. I'm jsut tired of hearing the complaints when our offense had the ball and could of won that game.

I love my STEELERS!!! All of them...................BIG PLAY WILLIE GAY and BMAC will do just fine with a HEALTHY TROY!!!!!!!!

Ok i'm done venting now. YOu guys complain I praise..............lets gooo STEELERS!!!!

flippy
08-01-2011, 03:18 PM
SOME and i mean only some of you frustrate the crap out of me when reading these forums. When i read about our secondary and the lack of this or that or whatever the case may be it frustrates me to no end.

We went to the SUPERBOWL with this secondary. Let that sink in for a second. SUPERBOWL. We complain about losing the SUPERBOWL!!!! The SUPERBOWL!! LOL There are 30 other teams wishing to have just gone to the superbowl. We whine like spoiled little children.

This HORRIBLE defense kept us in the game and we were 1 drive away from winning.

Our D is designed to do one thing to help the secondary and that's PUT PRESSURE on the QB! Green Bay's line held us in check and it exposed a zone defense which is what Brady, Manning, Brees, and even GRADKOWSKI did 1 time. Shoot you can add in KITNA as well!! QB's will light us up time to time playing that style of Defense! 1 game or 1 loss doesnt mean we need to overhaul the entire secondary!

Did we complain about William Gay in the Bengals game last year? Dude destroyed them on that block punt. Did we complain about the Ike Taylor blitz against the Ravens and William Gay picking up the fumble? We take RISKS and we gamble on Defense and when you do that you will get burnt once inawhile. Watch the Superbowl tape again and tell me TROY was 100%. Troy is the key!!!! We can win games without many players but TROY is not 1 of them. Add in Harrison's back, no pouncey, No Aaron, Sanders went out hurt, and Troy being hurt. We were 1 drive away from winning the SUPERBOWL. Stop crying already!!!! We have a damn good team and a damn good shot of getting back to the Superbowl.

We have a salary cap and a team who is willing to spend EVERY penny of that CAP! We can't sign EVERYONE!

When we complain we sound like SPOILED BRATS. We have it good and I know of a lot of teams who would love to have our ISSUES!

Lets back the players we do have on this team and cheer our butts off for them! If we put the pressure on the QB we wouldnt have any issues! Remember the Eagles game a few years ago when Ben had 0.2 seconds to throw the ball? Were the CB's even needed in that game? How about the Giants win in the SUPERBOWL? who were the Giants corners??? Brady was on his back for the first time all year and he lost! We barely touched Rodgers in that game! Give any QB that much time and he will tear any team apart.

I'm not saying we have a great secondary. I'm jsut tired of hearing the complaints when our offense had the ball and could of won that game.

I love my STEELERS!!! All of them...................BIG PLAY WILLIE GAY and BMAC will do just fine with a HEALTHY TROY!!!!!!!!

Ok i'm done venting now. YOu guys complain I praise..............lets gooo STEELERS!!!!

Stop being reasonable. :)

We lost the SuperBowl and that is just awful.

If we don't win the SuperBowl, we will always have something to complain about.

Heck, we even complain when we win the SuperBowl.

It's not our fault the Steelers and the Rooney's have spoiled us with the best team in all of pro sports.

skyhawk
08-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Same sh$t different year. This is a yearly article.

BURGH86STEEL
08-01-2011, 06:19 PM

I agree, the Steelers defense is predicated on the pass rush. If the QB does not fear the pass rush, pass defenders (LB's, DB's, and sometimes Linemen) will eventually get exposed.

15 TD's (3rd in league) given up wasn't too bad for the Steelers pass defense.

ikestops85
08-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Stop being reasonable. :)

We lost the SuperBowl and that is just awful.

If we don't win the SuperBowl, we will always have something to complain about.

Heck, we even complain when we win the SuperBowl.

It's not our fault the Steelers and the Rooney's have spoiled us with the best team in all of pro sports.

What are you talking about ... "being reasonable"?

We would have won that Super Bowl game if we had just started rookies on defense. :stirpot :moon

Eich
08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Steelers have yet to address their two biggest weaknesses

..their two biggest weaknesses: offensive line and pass defense.

Teams who were able to beat the Steelers in 2010 typically did so by putting pressure on Ben Roethlisberger and dominating the Steelers' patchwork offensive line and by aggressively attacking the team's secondary with a quick passing attack. As it stands now, those tactics will likely work against the team in 2011 as well.

It's possible to counter these weaknesses without signing some free agent CB or OL. The question is, will the Steelers adapt and make schematic changes?

To counter the weak OL, we could use more no-huddle/hurry-up as well as more quick passes in general. We could also do a much better job of disguising what play is coming so that the defenses can't guess the play based off our formation. Will Arians do it? I don't get why we don't at least go more no-huddle. Ben seems to thrive on no-huddle, calling his own plays. When the Patriots are good at something, they'll do it 40 times in a row if you can't stop it.

To counter weakness on at least one side of the pass catching field, we need to bring pressure. Most QB's not named Ben look pretty average when someone is consistently in their grille. Rogers is probably the best QB equipped to deal with pressure. But Manning and Brady in particular crumble. Seems like we have the talent to do it. Send disguised pressure from everwhere - though, not Troy so much. I think he's better off the LOS.

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Steelers’ Roster Moves May be Complete, Despite Glaring Need At Tackle

Posted on August 7, 2011 by ted

It appears that after a frantic period of transactions, the Steelers’ 2011 training camp-roster is nearly set, although Pittsburgh could still bring in a veteran wide receiver due to injuries to three of their projected top six players at that spot, although none are considered serious at that point.

Barring major injury, the only other possible addition at this point would be adding a veteran offensive tackle. That would appear to be a prudent and much needed transaction since starting left tackle Jonathan Scott is a true warrior but a journeyman talent, evident in his only receiving a 2-year contract at the rate often given to a team’s sixth offensive lineman. Ideally, Scott would serve as the team’s No. 3 tackle.

Further, starting right tackle Willie Colon is coming off a ruptured Achilles, an injury that more than a third of NFL players never return from and the vast majority who do never play at as a high a level as they did before sustaining that injury. Although it was risky, I was pleasantly surprised that the Steelers’ inked Colon to a long-term deal, but his play remains a major question for the 2011 season.

However, signing another offensive lineman to complete for a starting tackle job would have likely already happened if it were in the Steelers’ plans, particularly after they locked up outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley on a long-term deal that freed up cap space for this fall.

Do Not Lose Perspective; Re-signing Ike Taylor Was the Key

By far Pittsburgh’s primary offseason need was to re-sign No. 1 cornerback Ike Taylor. To the front office’s credit, they recognized and accomplished this mission very quickly despite having many difficulties in getting under a much lower NFL salary cap than expected (I did not think it was possible for the players to get a worse CBA than the last one, but they did). Taylor’s return was paramount to the Steelers’ remaining a strong Super Bowl contender again this fall.

Although the team is still very weak at the No. 2 and No. 3 cornerback spots, the Steelers should again have one of the NFL’s top five defenses, and probably the best overall if safety and reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year Troy Polamalu can become and stay fully healthy.

Questionable Offensive Line Strategy

However, the actions and inactions of the Steelers’ brass on the offensive line during the free-agency period have been puzzling and mildly disappointing even with the re-signings of Colon and Scott. While it was shocking to read initially, the release of veteran left tackle Max Starks appears to have been the right move.

Starks was a serviceable but below-average starting NFL left tackle who gave up too much space in pass protection, was mediocre in the run game despite his mammoth size, and rarely finished plays. On top of that scouting report, he is now badly overweight, must return from neck surgery that makes him far more susceptible to a career-ending injury from one hit, and the team saved $5.45 on this year’s salary cap by releasing him.

The Steelers apparently did not ask Starks to take a pay cut which means they likely do not want him back. Moreover, no other NFL team has been reported to have contact with Starks since his release and based on his questionable work ethic it is doubtful that he will work his way back into shape on his own volition.

Although not much of a surprise, the Steelers’ release of veteran right tackle Flozell Adams was very disappointing and the wrong move in my opinion. Adams, was set to earn $5 million this season, a paltry figure for an above-average NFL starting right tackle. More important, absolutely none of that was guaranteed. In other words, if Adams was not going to start or his 36-year-old boy already started breaking down in the preseason, the Steelers could cut him and owe him nothing under the salary cap.

The Steelers did have to get under the cap and asked Adams to stay by taking a reduced salary, and without the promise of entering camp as a starter. But like last year, Adams is only going to play if he can start for a Super Bowl contender.

I can see the front office’s view that they have too many right tackles on their roster. But most offensive line coaches at all levels of football say their goal is to put their best five linemen on the field. There is no doubt that Adams would meet that criteria for the Steelers’ 2011 offensive line, which right now is actually more questionable on paper than last year’s unit which finished as the league’s worst offensive line per Pro Football Focus even though the Steelers advanced to the Super Bowl and got a tremendous patchwork job by first-year offensive line coach Sean Kugler after the team lost both of its starting tackles to season-ending injuries.

Superstar, second-year center Maurkice Pouncey is obviously the Steelers’ best offensive lineman. A healthy Colon would rank No. 2 on that list, assuming a full return to his pre-injury, 2009 form. But Adams would be a close third, well ahead of starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu and Scott, who would round out my top five offensive linemen regardless of position.

The signing of Adams before last year’s training camp literally saved the Steelers’ season. Despite transitioning to right tackle after starting the previous 11 seasons for the Cowboys at left tackle, Adams was mostly solid in pass protection and a dominant force in the run game, although his aging body appeared to break down more regularly as the season progressed.

Here is what the Steelers should have done: Entered camp with Adams getting reps at both RT and LT, and Colon at both RT and RG. The debate on whether Colon would be better at guard has been prevalent among fans since the Steelers drafted him out of Hofstra in 2006.

To me it is ridiculous to argue that a healthy Colon could not play well at guard, a position switch that many tackles easily make after they enter the NFL or during their professional careers. At 6-foot-3, 320 pounds, Colon is one of the shortest tackles in the NFL and built like a guard. His strengths are run-blocking and quick feet, and his weakness have always been handling speed rushers in pass protection. Sounds like a guard to me, even more so now that he returns from such a serious injury.

Colon was among the NFL’s best starting right tackles in 2009, but will probably never be more than an above-average tackle overall, since most teams put their best tackle on the left-side, where Colon will never play.

But he may have All-Pro potential a guard, something the Bears evidently believe since they made Colon a more lucrative offer than the 5-year, $29 million contract he signed to remain with the Steelers but with the caveat that Colon would play guard in Chicago.

Colon has always played tackle for the Steelers not because he could not play guard, but instead because he was most needed at tackle.

Imagine having an offensive line including RT Adams, RG Colon, C Pouncey and LG Kemoteau. That would easily be the Steelers’ best run-blocking offensive line since 2004, since all four players are excellent road-graders.

In contrast, both of the current players battling for the Steelers’ right guard spot, Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky, are serviceable reserves who do not have the athleticism or talent to ever be considered even average starting guards in the NFL.

However, if Colon struggled making the transition to right guard but was healthy, he would then simply start at right tackle. Many believe that Adams is now too old and slow to play left tackle, and that may well be a correct assumption. But Scott, who had by far the best season of his professional career in 2010 and still ranked 42nd in pass-blocking among NFL tackles per Pro Football Focus, is also too slow to play left tackle well.

Remember that many Dallas fans’ contended and the Cowboys’ brass incorrectly assumed that Adams was completely washed-up before last season. They were wrong. Adams was a five-time Pro Bowl selection at left tackle, including as recently as 2008. Essentially, 2009 was his only down year at left tackle in his career.

However, if Scott were the better option at left tackle, he would start. If Adams started at right tackle, he would also serve as the top reserve at left tackle. But if he could not start at right tackle over Colon then Adams would be forced to take a significant paycut to serve as the No. 3 tackle or more likely be released.

Unfortunately, the Steelers now have no other realistic starting options at tackle besides Scott and Colon, both of whom are major question marks. Any experimentation with Colon at guard would have needed to begin at the start of training camp.

Maybe the Steelers were expecting rookie, second-round pick Marcus Gilbert to serve as the No. 3 tackle. However, most scouts projected Gilbert as a right tackle prospect, who may need to begin his career at guard while he refines his skills in pass protection. Yes, he did play left tackle at Florida, but left tackle is where most college programs place their best lineman, like Tennessee did with Foster and current Steelers’ second-year player Chris Scott.

Gilbert is currently sidelined with a hamstring injury and has yet to partake in a practice snap with the Steelers due to the offseason lockout. In other words the Steelers’ only backup left tackle right now is Tony Hills, who few expected to make the 2011 roster and was absolutely horrific last year when he saw the first extensive action of his then-three-year career against the Titans.

Chris Scott is a right tackle/guard prospect who does not have the height or arm-length to ever be considered an NFL starting left tackle. However, he was excellent in pass protection for the Volunteers. Physically, he is very similar to the versatile Trai Essex in that he could play a lot of positions, has quick feet but is top-heavy and not very powerful. That said Scott would be a steal as a late fifth-round pick in 2010 if his career mirrors Essex.

Right now I would assume Chris Scott will join Legursky as the reserve offensive linemen on the Steelers’ game-day dress roster in Week 1 on the road against the Ravens and Terrell Suggs, who physically dominated Jonathan Scott in both of their matchups last season.

Starks could be added down the road if he got in shape, but that seems unlikely. Adams obviously could sign with another team right now, but no Super Bowl contender will promise him a starting job unless an injury occurs. Currently he is a phone call away and would likely be starting the next week if Colon went down, but Adams is unlikely to return to the Steelers as a reserve.

In addition to all these uncertainties on its offensive line, the Steelers are also currently plagued with minor injuries in that area that have temporarily sidelined youngsters like Gilbert, Foster, Chris Scott and Pouncey, among others.

Trai Essex to the Rescue?

Considering all of these concerns revolving around the offensive line and the Steelers’ complete lack of experienced depth at tackle, the most likely remaining free agent the Steelers could add to their roster before the start of the 2011 season would be Essex, who I thought for sure was likely gone after the 2010 season.

Essex was a horrible starting right guard, but he is a valuable, experienced and articulate swingman capable of playing four positions on immediate notice. When Jonathan Scott got dinged up for a play or struggled mightily last year at times, Essex came in off the bench and improved the situation at left tackle for the short-term.

I am actually somewhat surprised that he has not been signed by another team as a reserve lineman, but that is likely because some squads were scrambling to get under the cap and many are just now filling out their roster with lower-tier free agents like Essex.

Essex is not the solution to the Steelers’ offensive line problems by any respect. But considering they currently have two questionable starters at tackle and no reserves likely to make the 53-man roster who have played an NFL snap at tackle, Essex would be a welcome addition to this point, although I would be much more excited about signing Adams or even Starks.

On the plus side, remember that the Steelers had among the league’s worst offensive lines in 2005, 2008 and 2010, and still went to the Super Bowl each of those seasons. Further, Pouncey is the team’s best lineman since Alan Faneca left via free agency after the 2005 season, and a healthy Colon would give Pittsburgh a dominating force in the run game for several more seasons. That said, the offensive line is once again the biggest concern and seemingly a major weakness for the 2011 Steelers.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/s ... #more-5944 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/08/steelers-roster-moves-complete-glaring-tackle/#more-5944)