PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign FA cornerback

PSU_dropout43
07-31-2011, 01:13 PM
The Steelers signed unrestricted free agent cornerback William Gay to a deal this afternoon.

Gay was the Steelers fifth-round pick in 2007 out of Louisville.

The Steelers now have their top three cornerbacks back from last year's Super Bowl team. Gay will likely assume the nickle back position in the Steelers' defense.

Read more: Steelers ink deal with unrestricted free agent cornerback Gay - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1ThiITie7 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749329.html#ixzz1ThiITie7)

flippy
07-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Boooo on the misleading headline.

Good for Gay. I really like "Big Play" Gay a lot and think if he can be more consistent, he still can be one of our better defenders. He pulls these headsy, big plays out of nowhere from time to time. And then he also does the dumbest stuff on the field.

Everything's so hit or miss with this kid. I'm still holding out some hope that when he matures, he can be dominant.

pittpete
07-31-2011, 01:32 PM
Glad it wasnt Madison :Blah

steelz09
07-31-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm not a William Gay but I'm not a hater either. I just hope that these Butler, Brown, Allen, and Lewis all turn out to be better than Gay. Aside from Lewis who has huge mental lapses, I think thats a realistic. These young guys had talent at the college ranks... let's see what they can do for the Steelers.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-31-2011, 02:13 PM
GREAT sig PSU. I get soo angry when people don't even know what kind of Goverment we were/are to live under.

Snatch98
07-31-2011, 02:50 PM
Good. Much better than he gets credit for and I'm glad we gave him another contract. He's had his bad games, but he's also had some big games. He's a very solid nickel back in my opinion.

Prowler
07-31-2011, 03:13 PM
What a horrible move. Sure the useless guy knows the system but what good is that when you can't cover anyone? I'd rather develop one of the young guys and cut Gay loose. I can't believe we signed him to a multi year deal. Stupid.

Snatch98
07-31-2011, 03:18 PM
What a horrible move. Sure the useless guy knows the system but what good is that when you can't cover anyone? I'd rather develop one of the young guys and cut Gay loose. I can't believe we signed him to a multi year deal. Stupid.

And this is why you aren't in the front office.

Oviedo
07-31-2011, 03:19 PM

Hasn't that been the modus operendi on our defense for several years? Ty Carter, Clark Haggans, Anthony Madison, Larry Foote on and on. When the primary strength a player has to have is knowledge of the scheme then older, experienced players will always have an edge even if they don't have the most talent.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Hasn't that been the modus operendi on our defense for several years? Ty Carter, Clark Haggans, Anthony Madison, Larry Foote on and on. When the primary strength a player has to have is knowledge of the scheme then older, experienced players will always have an edge even if they don't have the most talent.

yeah, our defense sucks every year.

you're like a broken record where every song stinks.

feltdizz
07-31-2011, 03:33 PM
This is the one record by Ovi that I like....

We have players who admit they finally know the playbook in their 3rd year. Why is it so difficult? Guys are thinking instead of playing while older CB's are getting torched...

Simplify the CB's playbook so we can get some youth out there.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-31-2011, 03:35 PM
and yet our defense is annually ranked in the top 5 in the league.

hilarious.

Prowler
07-31-2011, 03:39 PM

Our passing defense got torched in the SB, is that what you want again? We've made no improvements to this area. All this signing does is to take snaps away from our young CB's and it never gives them a chance to develop. Maybe the holding onto of subpar players in the secondary is one of the reasons this area of the team continues to struggle year after year, IMO.

Steelhere10
07-31-2011, 03:44 PM
I only agree with this, if they plan on releasing McSuck. If not bad move.

feltdizz
07-31-2011, 03:45 PM

Our passing defense got torched in the SB, is that what you want again? We've made no improvements to this area. All this signing does is to take snaps away from our young CB's and it never gives them a chance to develop. Maybe the holding onto of subpar players in the secondary is one of the reasons this area of the team continues to struggle year after year, IMO.

:wft

You just repeated what Ovi wrote.... :lol:

Snatch98
07-31-2011, 06:22 PM

Our defense is routinely top 5 in the league and we've been drafting corners. Crezdon Butler looks to step in and play as does Keenan Lewis. I'm not sure what some of you want but as we've seen time and time again the Steelers don't go hard in free agency and unless we trade up in round one in one of these drafts we aren't going to have a "high profile" corner in our system. We draft, groom and integrate. Unless of course you ladies want to start losing like the rest of the league bums and pick inside the top 10. We aren't the Cleveland Browns. We also aren't the Eagles or the Jets attempting to buy our way to a Super Bowl. If Dick Lebeau wanted Gay resigned there is clearly something there and I personally think he's done a very solid job when asked to play Nickel/Dime. The monday morning QB BS is annoying and played WAY out. Change the record already.

BURGH86STEEL
07-31-2011, 06:32 PM

Our defense is routinely top 5 in the league and we've been drafting corners. Crezdon Butler looks to step in and play as does Keenan Lewis. I'm not sure what some of you want but as we've seen time and time again the Steelers don't go hard in free agency and unless we trade up in round one in one of these drafts we aren't going to have a "high profile" corner in our system. We draft, groom and integrate. Unless of course you ladies want to start losing like the rest of the league bums and pick inside the top 10. We aren't the Cleveland Browns. We also aren't the Eagles or the Jets attempting to buy our way to a Super Bowl. If bad word Lebeau wanted Gay resigned there is clearly something there and I personally think he's done a very solid job when asked to play Nickel/Dime. The monday morning QB BS is annoying and played WAY out. Change the record already.
Exactly.

Just seems that some fans have the unrealistic expectation that the Steelers are supposed to have pro bowl caliber players at every position.

phillyesq
07-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Gay played pretty well as a nickel back. I can't remember the source offhand, but I remember some metrics ranked his play very high compared to his peers. He can be inconsistent, and I hate the thought of him starting a game, but he is generally fine as a nickel back.

It looks like this will be the end of Madison's tenure with the Steelers, since I'd imagine they will likely try to find spots for both of the corners they drafted this year.

Chadman
07-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Wonder if this means Cortez Allen is viewed as a FS? Keenan Lewis a FS prehaps? Looking overloaded with bodies at CB right now.

Slapstick
07-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Gay is a good Nickel CB...he has always made plays as the 3rd corner...he's become a good blitzing DB as well...

It does not look good for McFadden, IMO...

fordfixer
08-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Steelers sort through cornerback options
By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 1, 2011
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 49360.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749360.html)

When the Steelers locked up cornerback Ike Taylor to a long-term deal last week, they pretty much locked down the left side of the defense -- at least where it comes to the passing game -- for the next four years.

However, the right side is still a work in progress.

The Steelers added free agent William Gay to the mix Sunday. He joins incumbent starter Bryant McFadden and Keenan Lewis as cornerbacks who will try to solidify the pass defense of the best run-stopping team in the NFL.

"We want to be ranked tops in the league," McFadden said. "That has always been our main focus and to do that, we have to make sure we have the back end right."

To do that, the Steelers are going to have to get better play from cornerbacks not named Ike Taylor.

Opponents picked on McFadden regularly last season. He was targeted 109 times and allowed close to a 70 percent completion percentage.

Gay wasn't much better. He surrendered a 67 percent completion percentage despite routinely playing nickel back.

Add that to Lewis' implosion during a preseason game in Denver that placed him in Mike Tomlin's doghouse for the rest of the season, and the Steelers' secondary had issues all year.

"Growing pains," Taylor said. "That's what happens to the best of us. It doesn't matter what happens. What matters is how you respond to it. The guys up front can get away with slipping a few times. The corner on the back end, you can't slip. You are the last line of defense, and you have to know that."

Issues in the secondary came to light during Super Bowl XLV, when Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers threw for more than 300 yards and three touchdowns in a 31-25 win. And that was against a secondary that was seemingly playing well at the time.

The Steelers' defense allowed an average of 165 yards passing over the final seven games of the regular season -- good enough to lead the NFL during that stretch - to lower their ranking from 25th in the league to 12th.

"We do have a good secondary," Taylor said. "We have a lot of athletes back there that know how to play the game."

McFadden will be given every opportunity to lock down the starting position opposite Taylor again, even though the former second-round pick struggled at times after spending a year in Arizona.

"I just started to get a hang of what the Cardinals were trying to do, so coming over here was a quick transition for me," said McFadden, who the Steelers re-acquired last season after he spent four years with the Steelers.

McFadden allowed Atlanta's Roddy White to catch 13 passes in the season opener. White was targeted 10 other times in the game.

Lewis had his issues as well.

After having a stellar training camp, he allowed a pair of touchdowns to Brandon Lloyd in a preseason game he started in Denver, and never recovered.

"No cornerback has great games every game, and that was the only bad game that I really had," Lewis said.

Lewis played in only five games last year. He had a rough time making the transition from Oregon State's man-to-man scheme to the Steelers' zone his rookie year, and his difficulties landed him on the inactive list for 12 games his rookie season.

"It was definitely tough knowing that you prepared yourself all summer, you worked hard, you did everything you could, and one game like that can change the outcome of everything," Lewis said.

Taylor added some advice: "You have to have an 'I don't give a what' kind of attitude. If not, you aren't going to last."

Read more: Steelers sort through cornerback options - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1TkNKy46a (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749360.html#ixzz1TkNKy46a)

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2011, 12:32 AM

from today's practice report:

"Highlights include Ziggy hood tackling a blocking sled so hard that it literally flipped over ('grown-ass man strength!'), Jason Worilds showing a few nice moves in backs on backers, and McFadden matching Mike Wallace step for step on his interception (a nice over-the-shoulder catch). From the two practices that I have seen so far, McFadden looks like a true starting corner, covering whoever lines up opposite him - let's hope that continues into the season."

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1684138/85325_Steelers_Camp_Football.jpg

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... s-pictures

sentinel33
08-01-2011, 01:43 AM
I expect Mcfafdden to have an outstanding season. I believe he is in the final year of his contract.

Slapstick
08-01-2011, 07:52 AM

from today's practice report:

"Highlights include Ziggy hood tackling a blocking sled so hard that it literally flipped over ('grown-ass man strength!'), Jason Worilds showing a few nice moves in backs on backers, and McFadden matching Mike Wallace step for step on his interception (a nice over-the-shoulder catch). From the two practices that I have seen so far, McFadden looks like a true starting corner, covering whoever lines up opposite him - let's hope that continues into the season."

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1684138/85325_Steelers_Camp_Football.jpg

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... s-pictures

Point taken....

And yet:

posted by Dale Lolley:

Day off for Steelers

Monday, August 1

The Steelers get a day off today but that doesn't mean the front office isn't working.

In addition to working on contract extensions for strong safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers are also looking to re-work quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's deal.

If some of those aren't finished by Wednesday, the team may have to do some more cutting to get under the salary cap by the Thursday deadline.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

While he has looked good in the first three days of camp, I'm not sure that washes off the stink of the last two seasons...

If he's retained, great...

If not, I wouldn't be shocked...

Slapstick
08-01-2011, 07:53 AM
I expect Mcfafdden to have an outstanding season. I believe he is in the final year of his contract.

Bmac is signed through 2012...

Ghost
08-01-2011, 10:39 AM
If you want to see the real Gay, rewatch the Pats game from last year. Dude got lit up more than a Christmas tree. Beyond awful. It' be great to see someone step up and move ahead of him.

RuthlessBurgher
08-01-2011, 12:20 PM
If you want to see the real Gay, rewatch the Pats game from last year. Dude got lit up more than a Christmas tree. Beyond awful. It' be great to see someone step up and move ahead of him.

Lesson learned: Do not use a 5'10" 190 lbs. CB to cover a 6'6" 265 lbs TE.

Snatch98
08-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Thank you for saying it so I didn't have too. I've been singing this same song every time it's brought up. The Patriots are in the redzone and Gay is asked to cover Gronkowski without any help? Oh with Tom Brady throwing the football. He should have never been tasked with that job on his own.

Oviedo
08-01-2011, 01:09 PM

But that is the scheme and we dare not change the scheme!!!!!

Making in game adjustments are not permitted because adherence to the scheme will overcome all. :stirpot

phillyesq
08-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Thank you for saying it so I didn't have too. I've been singing this same song every time it's brought up. The Patriots are in the redzone and Gay is asked to cover Gronkowski without any help? Oh with Tom Brady throwing the football. He should have never been tasked with that job on his own.

If I recall, there was one play (I think a TD pass to Gronkowski) where Gay had great coverage. Brady placed a perfect ball just beyond the grasp of Gay, and where only his TE, who had a huge size advantage, could make a catch.

I can't believe that I'm defending Gay, but he's generally a capable nickel CB.

Ghost
08-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Maybe we need to define what "capable" is as a defensive back. Does anyone know what's typical for the NFL?

The reported numbers say that if 100 passes are thrown at Gay, he will surrender 67 passes and only defend 33. Is that what passes for capable - 33%? Is that what is wanted if an injury occurs and Gay has to be the starter? Do we think the younger guys can't do better than 33%?

I fully understand we can't have All Pro guys at every position and the salary cap puts limits on the team but Gay would have to improve to be just mediocre.

flippy
08-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Maybe we need to define what "capable" is as a defensive back. Does anyone know what's typical for the NFL?

The reported numbers say that if 100 passes are thrown at Gay, he will surrender 67 passes and only defend 33. Is that what passes for capable - 33%? Is that what is wanted if an injury occurs and Gay has to be the starter? Do we think the younger guys can't do better than 33%?

I fully understand we can't have All Pro guys at every position and the salary cap puts limits on the team but Gay would have to improve to be just mediocre.

Those arent Revis #s. But Revis also doesnt have to line up and give his WR a huge cushion on the LOS because of the system he plays in.

We're always gonna give up more passes than most and we just have to tackle and prevent the long gains which Ike and BMac are build to do. Gay not so much, but he's ok in the nickle.

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2011, 03:33 AM
I did not know this about William Gay, I will not be so quick to criticize him in the future:

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/ind ... -ty-dance- (http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/blog-n-gold/28842-the-hoke-ty-dance-)

Will's Story

William Gay became a bit of a punching bag at times for some of his play over the last two years, and some of it is merited: the guy clearly is not a shutdown cover-corner, but he was an excellent fifth DB in nickel situations and will continue to be valuable in that role. His return is a positive for the Steelers.

While Gay might not be the most prolfiic player to ever don the black & gold, in terms of guys who have overcome incredible obstacles to find football success, he's probably the team captain.

I posted this video back on the eve of the Super Bowl, in which Gay shares an incredibly moving and painful story about how his mother was murdered by her boyfriend. The video was done to benefit the Pittsburgh Women's Center shelter and bring attention to domestic violence issues.

Watch it again. If you aren't at least a fan of William Gay the person, something is wrong with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InVz1nB- ... r_embedded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InVz1nB-zfk&feature=player_embedded)

flippy
08-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Big Play Willie Gay!!!!

That's a heck of a sad story. I wish the guy success beyond just for my personal/selfish reasons.

ikestops85
08-03-2011, 12:20 PM
I am one of those who thinks Gay is a decent DB. Sure you can point to the Pats game last year and say he stinks. I can also point to the Raiders game from the year before and say Ike stinks.

Gay has made some big plays for us in the past and he will in the future. I don't think anyone will ever confuse him with Revis but for the most part he does what DL wants him to do. Keep the play in front of you and make a tackle (unless it's AP coming at you :lol: )

A lot has been said on how the Pack passed all over us in the SB. Please name me a team that didn't have that happen to them last year.

The #1 rated D last year was SD and they let Oakland score 35 points on them.
The #3 rated D last year was the Jets and they let the Bears score 38 points and the Pats score 45 on them.
The #4 rated D last year was the Saints and they let the Seahawks score 41 points on them in the playoffs. Even the Ratbirds scored 30 against them.
The #5 rated D last year was GB who let the Pats score 31 against them.

I guess my point is I can't think of a better defensive team over the last 5-10 years than the LeBeau led Pittsburgh Steelers. I really can't see how anyone can argue against that. I do get frustrated at times because it looks like we are just giving opponents completions and 1st downs by playing so far off receivers but it's really hard to argue against the results. We regularly finish in the top 5 in almost all of the defensive categories.

We do get picked apart at times by the great QBs in the league. Of course there is a reason they are considered great. There are even times we are shredded by relatively poor QBs (cough ... Gradkowski ... cough) but sh!t happens. I would love for us to hold the opponent to 3 and out on every series but that ain't happening.

We one very spoiled fanbase and I would bet 95% of the fans around the league would take our defense over their own.

Go Steelers!! :tt2 :tt2

flippy
08-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I am one of those who thinks Gay is a decent DB. Sure you can point to the Pats game last year and say he stinks. I can also point to the Raiders game from the year before and say Ike stinks.

Gay has made some big plays for us in the past and he will in the future. I don't think anyone will ever confuse him with Revis but for the most part he does what DL wants him to do. Keep the play in front of you and make a tackle (unless it's AP coming at you :lol: )

A lot has been said on how the Pack passed all over us in the SB. Please name me a team that didn't have that happen to them last year.

The #1 rated D last year was SD and they let Oakland score 35 points on them.
The #3 rated D last year was the Jets and they let the Bears score 38 points and the Pats score 45 on them.
The #4 rated D last year was the Saints and they let the Seahawks score 41 points on them in the playoffs. Even the Ratbirds scored 30 against them.
The #5 rated D last year was GB who let the Pats score 31 against them.

I guess my point is I can't think of a better defensive team over the last 5-10 years than the LeBeau led Pittsburgh Steelers. I really can't see how anyone can argue against that. I do get frustrated at times because it looks like we are just giving opponents completions and 1st downs by playing so far off receivers but it's really hard to argue against the results. We regularly finish in the top 5 in almost all of the defensive categories.

We do get picked apart at times by the great QBs in the league. Of course there is a reason they are considered great. There are even times we are shredded by relatively poor QBs (cough ... Gradkowski ... cough) but sh!t happens. I would love for us to hold the opponent to 3 and out on every series but that ain't happening.

We one very spoiled fanbase and I would bet 95% of the fans around the league would take our defense over their own.

Go Steelers!! :tt2 :tt2

And don't forget, you can't run on the Steelers D, so you have to pass. That's the only shot you have against Pittsburgh.

If we were weak against the run, teams wouldn't need to pass.

I think that dynamic has an adverse affect on the performance of our DBs.