PDA

View Full Version : Burress to the Jets

Oviedo
07-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Heard on the radio that Schefter tweeted he is going to sign with the Jets for 1 year at $3M fully guaranteed.

I like it because now we focus on what we have and moving forward.

Flasteel
07-31-2011, 09:42 AM
This was just posted on PFT:

Plaxico Burress will join the Jets
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2011, 9:31 AM EDT

Burress, the former New York Giants receiver who spent two years in prison on a gun conviction, will sign with the Jets for a one-year, $3,017,000 fully guaranteed contract, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

There was talk that the Steelers, 49ers or Giants would sign Burress, but the Jets make a lot of sense: Burress can play a similar role to Braylon Edwards, who isn’t expected to return, and $3 million for a year is less than they would have had to pay to keep Edwards.

The question now is whether Burress has anything left: He already looked like he was slowing down before he accidentally shot himself, and now he may be rusty and out of shape. We’ll see soon how Burress looks — in a Jets uniform.

I would have liked the Plax signing, but if Sweed can stay healthy and finally turn the corner, I'll be even happier.

Oviedo
07-31-2011, 09:45 AM
This was just posted on PFT:

Plaxico Burress will join the Jets
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2011, 9:31 AM EDT

Burress, the former New York Giants receiver who spent two years in prison on a gun conviction, will sign with the Jets for a one-year, $3,017,000 fully guaranteed contract, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

There was talk that the Steelers, 49ers or Giants would sign Burress, but the Jets make a lot of sense: Burress can play a similar role to Braylon Edwards, who isn’t expected to return, and $3 million for a year is less than they would have had to pay to keep Edwards.

The question now is whether Burress has anything left: He already looked like he was slowing down before he accidentally shot himself, and now he may be rusty and out of shape. We’ll see soon how Burress looks — in a Jets uniform.

I would have liked the Plax signing, but if Sweed can stay healthy and finally turn the corner, I'll be even happier.

I agree about Sweed. I'd rather invest the camp reps on him (plus Sanders and Brown) than Burress.

The Jets are more desperate for him than we are. I guess this means the end to Braylon Edwards in NY.

Shawn
07-31-2011, 09:51 AM
I think Burress would have improved this team. Too often people look at age as the sole determining factor for a no sign. The fact is this...Burress has played at a high level all the way up until the gun charges. I think he will continue to play well after he knocks off the rust. Sweed on the other hand has shown nothing and can't seem to get through a practice without injury.

Notleadpoisoned
07-31-2011, 10:08 AM
Plax hasn't caught a noteworthy pass since 2008 and even for that entire season he only caught 35 passes for 454 yards. Other than the fact that he is 6'5 I really never understood what was so attractive about him.

Flasteel
07-31-2011, 10:17 AM
I think Burress would have improved this team. Too often people look at age as the sole determining factor for a no sign. The fact is this...Burress has played at a high level all the way up until the gun charges. I think he will continue to play well after he knocks off the rust. Sweed on the other hand has shown nothing and can't seem to get through a practice without injury.

To be fair, there are big questions concerning both these guys. Sweed hasn't done squat and seems cursed. I think he still has the potential to be a weapon for us, but it's more hope than anything else at this point.

Burress on the other hand, has his own issues. That high level of play you spoke of, saw his production dip to 45 yards per game in his last season. Two years (of prison) later, who is to say if he'll even be that productive? Let's not forget that the guy also has a penchant for being aloof and not following team rules. Now matter how you try to spin it, his age is in no way a positive either.

We'll play the hand we're dealt and it looks like we're rolling with Sweed. I think all of us will be rooting for him to make an impact.

flippy
07-31-2011, 10:37 AM
F Burress!!!!

Hope he shoots himself again and ends up back in the clink.

May he ruin the Jets.

Djfan
07-31-2011, 10:53 AM
You can be Sweed is happy about this.

I have often wondered if Sweed thinks he won't ever succeed, so he is manufacturing injuries to hide behind. Think back to the play where he missed a gimmie pass and stayed down, injured? on the field for a long time.

SteelCrazy
07-31-2011, 10:56 AM
I knew when he left after spending 7 hours with us he wasnt going to sign here. If you dont sign after 7 hours then you didnt like what you heard.

SteelBucks
07-31-2011, 11:03 AM
JagrWatch Part II

Oviedo
07-31-2011, 11:04 AM
You can be Sweed is happy about this.

I have often wondered if Sweed thinks he won't ever succeed, so he is manufacturing injuries to hide behind. Think back to the play where he missed a gimmie pass and stayed down, injured? on the field for a long time.

Kind of tough to "manufacture" a torn achilles. Did Colon manufacture his too?

If you are referencing his hamstring bothering him now, that is a typical early training camp nagging injury. From reports he was lighting it up the first day.

Sweed had two nice catches in traffic and broke into the open afterward, displaying some breakaway speed.

AngryAsian
07-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Rex Ryan will let any malcontent behave the way he wants and label it as a part of the general team swagger. It's a great move for Plax, because he can be his normal under-achieving work ethic self and not have to worry about fitting into a system that was built for a specified purpose, and but rather pieced together by an expansive check book. I think both sides won out in the end. Plax, could never change that much in prison to where he would buy into Tomlin's vision for this team.

steelblood
07-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Can we resign Max now?

SteelBucks
07-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Can we resign Max now?

I don't see that happening considering the team is still over the cap.

MaxAMillion
07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
I knew it was too good to be true. I get my hopes up and instead they get dashed. Sweed will do what he has always done for the Steelers...nothing.

We don't have a championship offense...and it doesn't look close to being one this year either.

insanesteelersfan
07-31-2011, 12:06 PM
I knew it was too good to be true. I get my hopes up and instead they get dashed. Sweed will do what he has always done for the Steelers...nothing.

We don't have a championship offense...and it doesn't look close to being one this year either.

Our offense was just as good as Green Bay's offense. And that was with Ben out for 4 weeks, and our offense during that time ranked dead last in passing, and 31st overall. In our final 12 weeks with Ben, we were top-5 NFL offense, and BETTER then the Packers offense.

So explain that one " MENSA " ?

DukieBoy
07-31-2011, 12:21 PM

Our offense was just as good as Green Bay's offense. And that was with Ben out for 4 weeks, and our offense during that time ranked dead last in passing, and 31st overall. In our final 12 weeks with Ben, we were top-5 NFL offense, and BETTER then the Packers offense.

Please, respect the man, even if you disagree with his POV. This board has a good history of respect among its membership, and saves the other rhetoric for our real opposition.

papillon
07-31-2011, 12:31 PM

Statistically they may have been a top 5 offense, but from a consistency standpoint they were not a top 5 offense. Too many games with no rhythm, too many 3 and outs, too many bad turnovers (Steeler side of the field), too many games where WRs were taken out of the game, running game wasn't always there, too many brain cramps by offensive linemen, just too many of the little things that make an offense really good were missing.

I don't know if Plex would have helped that or not, I don't know if cutting Starks and Adams will help that or not, I don't know if having Ben for 16 games will help that, but the Steelers and their offensive brain trust need to figure out how to make them consistently good.

Pappy

insanesteelersfan
07-31-2011, 12:43 PM

Statistically they may have been a top 5 offense, but from a consistency standpoint they were not a top 5 offense. Too many games with no rhythm, too many 3 and outs, too many bad turnovers (Steeler side of the field), too many games where WRs were taken out of the game, running game wasn't always there, too many brain cramps by offensive linemen, just too many of the little things that make an offense really good were missing.

I don't know if Plex would have helped that or not, I don't know if cutting Starks and Adams will help that or not, I don't know if having Ben for 16 games will help that, but the Steelers and their offensive brain trust need to figure out how to make them consistently good.

Pappy

Yeah you're right. Those steeler coaches DO need to figure it out. Cause 3 Super Bowls, with 2 wins in 6 years ???...Those Morons :wft

aggiebones
07-31-2011, 12:48 PM

hahaha. That is funny.
Oh, you are serious?

Burress has as many meanful catches as Sweed over the last 2 years.

Snatch98
07-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Based on what I've said here already it's clear I was on board for a Plexico signing. He would have been very solid in our offense and could have been a good on the field mentor for Limas. However now that he's off the table we can move on. It's possible they brought him in to motivate Sweed as well even though I'm sure they had every intention of signing him. What I find most amusing is he signed with the Jets which is a direct slap to the face of the Giants. The Jets and the Eagles seem to to think they can buy a Championship.

flippy
07-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Rex Ryan will let any malcontent behave the way he wants and label it as a part of the general team swagger. It's a great move for Plax, because he can be his normal under-achieving work ethic self and not have to worry about fitting into a system that was built for a specified purpose, and but rather pieced together by an expansive check book. I think both sides won out in the end. Plax, could never change that much in prison to where he would buy into Tomlin's vision for this team.

I saw the Jets a few times on their HBO special last season. And one of the best scenes was before a scrimmage or preseason game or something like that, some player has a bag of burgers that he's eating and passing out to teammates. And Santonio's reaction is priceless. He can't believe these guys are openly eating burgers on the field and is in a bit of disbelief that these guys really weren't taking football so seriously.

grotonsteel
07-31-2011, 01:23 PM
I am disappointed. I would have liked Steelers get a tall WR for Ben. Hopefully its Sweed now but with Plex whole scenario would have changed. I still hope Steelers upgrade their WR.

I am more worried about Manny surgically repaired leg than Sweed's hammy because i think Manny should be Steelers No.2 WR.

grotonsteel
07-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Too many bad turnovers (Steeler side of the field), Too many 3 and outs.

Pappy

I will disagree with that statement. This Article was comparison between Peyton and Ben but if you look at it Steelers O more often than not were able change the field position.

ESPN.com: Stats & Info

Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Harrison Wrong About Roethlisberger
By Jason Vida

Mike Ehrmann/Getty ImagesBen Roethlisberger thrives under pressure

After capping a stellar season with a subpar performance in Super Bowl XLV, it’s understandable if James Harrison and the rest of the Pittsburgh Steelers are less-than-happy about the way the 2010 season ended.

But after James Harrison’s comments to Men’s Journal, it’s tough to imagine the mood will be any lighter when Steelers training camp opens this summer. Speaking of teammate Ben Roethlisberger's play in Super Bowl XLV, Harrison said:

"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like
Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."

It’s doubtful that the fact that Roethlisberger’s second interception of the game came on a play that started on the Packers 49-yard line, technically “their side of the field” will make Harrison reconsider his comments.

Ben Roethlisberger
In Own Territory Last Season

Rank
Comp pct 72.1 3rd
Yds per att 10.3 1st
Passer rtg 103.7 1st
Int 3 T-3rd
>>min. 100 att

But Big Ben’s unparalleled ability to lead the Steelers out of their own territory in the regular season should.

In 2010, Roethlisberger not only didn’t ask the Steelers defense to bail him out frequently, he was arguably the best quarterback in the league at helping his team reverse field position when backed up against its own goal line.

Roethlisberger completed 147 of 204 passes for 2,094 yards with three TDs and three interceptions in his own territory last season. His 103.7 passer rating here is even more impressive when one considers the difficulty in throwing touchdowns on plays that originate at least 51 yards from the end zone.

Of the 33 quarterbacks who threw at least 100 passes in their own territory last regular season, none had a better passer rating on those attempts than Roethlisberger, and his 10 yards per attempt on these passes was also best in the NFL.

Just three of Roethlisberger’s 204 passes from his own end were intercepted last season, an interception percentage of 1.47 percent. Only three of the 33 QBs mentioned above had a lower interception of percentage in their own territory – Josh Freeman, Tom Brady and Alex Smith.

Roethlisberger Manning
Comp pct 72.1 68.5
Yds per att 10.3 7.1
Passer rtg 103.7 78.4
Int 3 12<<
>>T-4th most in NFL

Harrison also made the comment that Roethlisberger is trying to emulate Peyton Manning with his play in his own territory. In fact, he’s been much better than the Indianapolis Colts future Hall-of-Famer in such situations.

Twelve of Manning’s 17 interceptions last season came on the Colts side of the field, more than all but three other NFL quarterbacks. And Manning’s passer rating in his own territory was 78.4, a full 25 points behind Big Ben’s.

The stats show that Roethlisberger has been a better quarterback than Manning in his own territory. If Harrison is tired of his defense being asked to bail out the Steelers offense time and time again, he should be thankful that Ben is no Peyton. He’s only paid like him.

feltdizz
07-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Pappy didn't say Ben had too many TO's, he said the O had TO's. I think he was also talking about the last few seasons not 2011.

We have the talent and production to be a championship offense but realistically the last 2 SB seasons our O went 2 to 3 games straight without a TD.

The consistently is frustrating.

papillon
07-31-2011, 03:27 PM

Pappy

Yeah you're right. Those steeler coaches DO need to figure it out. Cause 3 Super Bowls, with 2 wins in 6 years ???...Those Morons :wft

I never said the Steeler coaches are morons or suck, never have and never will. I said the coaches need to figure out how to make them consistently good. Last year you didn't know if you were getting the Super Bowl winning drive (XLIII) offense or the one that couldn't get a first down on the last drive of the most recent Super Bowl.

Instead of trying to be the Planetsteeler tough guy just respond with your differing opinion and most on the board will be happy to debate it with. I still stand by the fact that last year's version of the offense was erratic.

Pappy

Steelerphile
07-31-2011, 03:31 PM
I guess when you're just getting out of jail, you can't afford to be choosy, so that is the only reason that I felt Plex gave Pittsburgh some consideration. Whereas players like Randle-El and Foote actually loved the Pittsburgh organization, but left for monetary and professional reasons. I don't think Plaxico had fond feelings for Pittsburgh when he left. I think he felt Pittsburgh was too small-townish and provincial, and he deplored the run-first mentality of the offense.

If nothing else was happening for him, he would have signed, but I think he prefers the big city, and the bright lights and the more cosmoplitan nature of New York.

And even though guys like Sanders and Brown publicly stated they would have welcomed Plex, secretly they probably are glad he didn't come, because that means more opportunities for them. I have confidence in those guys and a receiver doesn't have to be 6' 5" to be good.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-31-2011, 03:37 PM
if i was guessing, hines is the happiest WR that plax didn't sign with us.

feltdizz
07-31-2011, 03:54 PM
I guess when you're just getting out of jail, you can't afford to be choosy, so that is the only reason that I felt Plex gave Pittsburgh some consideration. Whereas players like Randle-El and Foote actually loved the Pittsburgh organization, but left for monetary and professional reasons. I don't think Plaxico had fond feelings for Pittsburgh when he left. I think he felt Pittsburgh was too small-townish and provincial, and he deplored the run-first mentality of the offense.

If nothing else was happening for him, he would have signed, but I think he prefers the big city, and the bright lights and the more cosmoplitan nature of New York.

And even though guys like Sanders and Brown publicly stated they would have welcomed Plex, secretly they probably are glad he didn't come, because that means more opportunities for them. I have confidence in those guys and a receiver doesn't have to be 6' 5" to be good.

I thought Plax wanted to "win"

Signing with the Jets shows Plax is truly an idiot. Who the hell goes back to the same city that locked them up for 2 years and signs with the other team?

NYPD and the tabloid rags are going to be all over him.

That's like Big Ben asking for a trade to ATL right after the GA drama...

Steelerphile
07-31-2011, 04:35 PM

Signing with the Jets shows Plax is truly an idiot. Who the hell goes back to the same city that locked them up for 2 years and signs with the other team?

The Jets are "winners" So he goes to a winner. He probably likes New York even though he got locked up there. It's still a huge place that has a host of other celebrities and sports stars for the tabloids to cover. So they can't spend all their time hounding him. He might feel like he stands out more in Pittsburgh.

NJ-STEELER
07-31-2011, 08:05 PM

think you kind of answered your own question there. why subject himself to the same city unless he thought they had a chance to win

not to mention more money and he'll be a sure starter there cause they dont have to worry about hurting the feelings of a vet WR like we do here

RuthlessBurgher
07-31-2011, 10:12 PM
Santonio and Plaxico? Seems like Mark Sanchez likes Ben Roethlisberger's erratic sloppy seconds so much that I'm surprised he hasn't spent the offseason trolling college bars in Millegeville and hasn't proposed to Andrea McNulty yet.

papillon
07-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Too many bad turnovers (Steeler side of the field), Too many 3 and outs.

Pappy

I will disagree with that statement. This Article was comparison between Peyton and Ben but if you look at it Steelers O more often than not were able change the field position.

ESPN.com: Stats & Info

Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Harrison Wrong About Roethlisberger
By Jason Vida

Mike Ehrmann/Getty ImagesBen Roethlisberger thrives under pressure

After capping a stellar season with a subpar performance in Super Bowl XLV, it’s understandable if James Harrison and the rest of the Pittsburgh Steelers are less-than-happy about the way the 2010 season ended.

But after James Harrison’s comments to Men’s Journal, it’s tough to imagine the mood will be any lighter when Steelers training camp opens this summer. Speaking of teammate Ben Roethlisberger's play in Super Bowl XLV, Harrison said:

"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like
Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."

It’s doubtful that the fact that Roethlisberger’s second interception of the game came on a play that started on the Packers 49-yard line, technically “their side of the field” will make Harrison reconsider his comments.

Ben Roethlisberger

Rank
Comp pct 72.1 3rd
Yds per att 10.3 1st
Passer rtg 103.7 1st
Int 3 T-3rd
>>min. 100 att

But Big Ben’s unparalleled ability to lead the Steelers out of their own territory in the regular season should.

In 2010, Roethlisberger not only didn’t ask the Steelers defense to bail him out frequently, he was arguably the best quarterback in the league at helping his team reverse field position when backed up against its own goal line.

Roethlisberger completed 147 of 204 passes for 2,094 yards with three TDs and three interceptions in his own territory last season. His 103.7 passer rating here is even more impressive when one considers the difficulty in throwing touchdowns on plays that originate at least 51 yards from the end zone.

Of the 33 quarterbacks who threw at least 100 passes in their own territory last regular season, none had a better passer rating on those attempts than Roethlisberger, and his 10 yards per attempt on these passes was also best in the NFL.

Just three of Roethlisberger’s 204 passes from his own end were intercepted last season, an interception percentage of 1.47 percent. Only three of the 33 QBs mentioned above had a lower interception of percentage in their own territory – Josh Freeman, Tom Brady and Alex Smith.

Roethlisberger Manning
Comp pct 72.1 68.5
Yds per att 10.3 7.1
Passer rtg 103.7 78.4
Int 3 12<<
>>T-4th most in NFL

Harrison also made the comment that Roethlisberger is trying to emulate Peyton Manning with his play in his own territory. In fact, he’s been much better than the Indianapolis Colts future Hall-of-Famer in such situations.

Twelve of Manning’s 17 interceptions last season came on the Colts side of the field, more than all but three other NFL quarterbacks. And Manning’s passer rating in his own territory was 78.4, a full 25 points behind Big Ben’s.

The stats show that Roethlisberger has been a better quarterback than Manning in his own territory. If Harrison is tired of his defense being asked to bail out the Steelers offense time and time again, he should be thankful that Ben is no Peyton. He’s only paid like him.

I read the Ben vs Peyton thing after Harrison put his foot ion his mouth about Ben. The thing is, what Ben and the Steelers' offense do are the only things that matter. I don't care how good or bad Manning plays and how Ben compares to him (I'd take Ben over Manning all day). The Steeler offense was frustrating last year and the Super Bowl was the entire season wrapped into one game. At times they were good, at times they turned the ball over and at other times they were just plain bad. Maybe because Ben has bailed the Steelers out so many times that I expect him to be able to do it every time. But to go three and out (or maybe they ran 4 plays) and the offense looking like they had never played together on that last drive was frustrating.

They had been moving the ball and then on that drive nothing. That's the inconsistent part of the offense.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
07-31-2011, 10:50 PM
That's the inconsistent part of the offense.
Pappy

here's another inconsistent part of our offense:

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/September-2010/The-Ultimate-Hater-039s-Guide-to-the-Tampa-Bay-Bucs/Tomlin-1.jpg

feltdizz
08-01-2011, 09:40 AM

think you kind of answered your own question there. why subject himself to the same city unless he thought they had a chance to win

not to mention more money and he'll be a sure starter there cause they dont have to worry about hurting the feelings of a vet WR like we do here

750K isn't a lot of money when you factor in NYC's cost of living...

Going back to the city that locked him up for 2 years is playing with fire IMO. Giant fans will work hard to bait him into doing something stupid.

hawaiiansteel
08-05-2011, 03:01 AM
I'm glad we didn't sign Plax, he's going to be injured all season long...

Jets' receiving corps a new concern with Plaxico Burress injured and Jerricho Cotchery gone

Friday, August 05, 2011
By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

http://media.nj.com/star-ledger/photo/9862069-large.jpg

This afternoon was supposed to be a celebration of the Jets’ 2011 roster: their core players and free-agent signings finally allowed on the practice field together, for the team’s first padded practice of training camp.

Instead, it was a reminder of just how quickly things can turn in professional football: Plaxico Burress was on the sideline with a rolled left ankle; Jerricho Cotchery was notably absent, confirming his curious release; and the receiver position suddenly felt deficient.

Earlier in the day, Rex Ryan made the surprising announcement that Burress had “tweaked” his ankle Wednesday and would be held out of practice for a couple days. Eight hours later, the coach offered yet another twist: Cotchery, who has played his entire seven-year career with the Jets, asked to be traded or released.

“I probably saw it coming for a little while,” Ryan said of Cotchery’s release, “but I guess I never wanted to admit it.”

Cotchery felt underappreciated in his role and first asked for a trade after last season, a person with knowledge of what Cotchery told the team said last night. Cotchery, 29, was a starter from 2006 through 2009, and became the No. 3 receiver behind Holmes and Edwards last year. That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for Cotchery.

Without Cotchery, a reliable player and well-respected locker room presence, the receiving corps is composed of: No. 1 receiver Santonio Holmes, newly signed to a 5-year deal; Burress, who hasn’t played football in nearly three years after a 20-month prison sentence for illegal gun possession; and a handful of young players who have five NFL catches between them.

Burress said the ankle injury, which he said happened while he was running routes with Holmes, is not the “huge thing” people will make it out to be — and not the same ankle that hobbled him through the Giants’ Super Bowl XLII season.

As the Jets hope this is not a bad omen, they also have to answer the question mark now in Cotchery’s vacated spot. His replacement could be former Baltimore Ravens receiver Derrick Mason, who was scheduled to visit the team’s Florham Park facility today. But by day’s end, Ryan said he was “not sure” where things stood with the 37-year-old veteran.

When reports surfaced Wednesday night that Mason was headed to New Jersey, the implication was that Cotchery’s tenure with the Jets was over. Cotchery said this afternoon his impression was that if Mason passed his physical, Cotchery was gone.

Several hours later, Ryan said Mason’s visit was not the reason for Cotchery’s release.

The complete picture of what happened between the Jets and Cotchery remained fuzzy until tonight, as each side was unwilling to reveal too many details. In interviews early this afternoon, Cotchery did not say that he asked his way off the roster — though he did tell The Star-Ledger that he had “no question” considered at times a change of scenery might be good.

Asked if his feelings related to the team bringing in other receivers to put ahead of him on the depth chart — like Braylon Edwards, Holmes and now Burress — Cotchery hesitated, reluctant to break the company line he has admirably abided by through his career.

“I don’t know how to look at it,” he said. “When I became a starter, I performed well as a starter. Last year, I just had a tough deal; a tough deal with a lot of things. I don’t want to get into specifics with a lot of things. Everybody knows I had the injury, but it’s more than just an injury.”

Cotchery, who was due $1.8 million in base salary this year with a higher cap hit, was expected to be in the No. 3 spot behind Holmes and Burress again this season. He rehabbed his way back from offseason surgery on a herniated disk in his back that had caused far-reaching pain for two years.

Cotchery said he shared his feelings with some members of the coaching staff but, “a lot of people didn’t see it (the same) way.”

Ryan said he asked Cotchery to stay. So did quarterback Mark Sanchez, who said he is disappointed Cotchery is gone but accepts that he needed to do “what’s best for him.”

Cotchery was the only receiver with whom Sanchez had played his entire pro career.

A trade was not an option, Cotchery said, because other teams could not be sure that he is healthy. He has been cleared by the doctor who performed his surgery but began camp on the physically unable to perform list.
More coverage:

So the Jets will move on. Their biggest concern at the receiver position is getting Burress ready for the Sept. 11 season opener at Dallas, and ensuring his setback today does not portend things to come.

“I just can’t wait to see what everybody is going to say in a couple of days,” Burress said. “I think everyone will change their tune.”

If today was any indication, things can change in a hurry.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/0 ... w_con.html (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/08/jets_receiving_corps_a_new_con.html)

RuthlessBurgher
08-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Ha ha...stupid Jets let a solid player entering the prime of his career like Cotchery go so they can go after old farts like Plaxico and Mason, who will be done in a year or two at the most. Brilliant!

hawaiiansteel
08-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Plaxiglass is going to be injured all season long...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ffY1o2K6Jcs/TQWH8Mbuw6I/AAAAAAAAAlA/HXEs0N1gAFY/s1600/jets+suck.jpg

Updated: August 12, 2011

Plaxico Burress won't play Monday night

By Jane McManus
ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Wide receiver Plaxico Burress will not be available for the New York Jets' first preseason game, coach Rex Ryan said Friday, and will not take part in team drills until at least Wednesday.

The Jets -- who play in Houston on Monday night -- are scheduling an MRI on Burress' left ankle, which was injured during a private route-running workout with Santonio Holmes on Aug. 3.

"I think we were all anxious to see him out there, but I want to see him out there at 100 percent, not 80 percent," Ryan said.

New York Jets: Training camp

Here's all your news from Jets camp:
Jets Center » Blog » Photos »

Ryan -- who said Thursday that he expected Burress "to play some" in Houston -- stressed that the Jets are taking a more cautious approach with the receiver so that his ankle injury doesn't linger into the season.

"If we had to play a [regular season] game, he would play," Ryan said. "He would definitely play."

Ryan would not call the injury a sprain, but said trainers were concerned that the flight to Houston could cause Burress' ankle to swell.

Holmes and Derrick Mason will start at wide receiver in Houston.

Burress hasn't played football since the 2008 season. He was released from prison in June after serving time for carrying a handgun into a Manhattan nightclub, where he accidentally shot himself.

Ryan said he isn't yet concerned that the $3 million receiver hasn't gotten involved in team drills yet.

"He knows how to play football. I'm not concerned right now," Ryan said. "Now, if it goes on [and] I have to answer the question next week, the week after, whatever -- I don't think we're going to have those issues."

Ryan said he didn't think the ankle injury was a continuation of problems Burress had as a Giant. His prior trouble was primarily with the right ankle.

The Jets initially said Burress would miss one or two practices after rolling his ankle at the start of camp, but he only participated in team drills once, sneaking into the first rep on Sunday. On Tuesday, Ryan said Burress experienced some swelling.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_ ... -mri-ankle (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6856725/new-york-jets-plaxico-burress-play-monday-night-get-mri-ankle)

RuthlessBurgher
08-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Ha ha...stupid Jets let a solid player entering the prime of his career like Cotchery go so they can go after old farts like Plaxico and Mason, who will be done in a year or two at the most. Brilliant!

Look...I was praising Jerricho a week before we signed him. I had actually forgot I had posted this until alohaboy bumped this thread.

:tt2 :tt1

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2011, 02:19 AM
With Burress on the field, Ryan says offense looks “scary”

Posted by Mike Florio on August 17, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/burressaug17ap-e1313635702773.jpg?w=233

Receiver Plaxico Burress joined the Jets on July 31. Before he could practice with the team, he twisted his ankle while working out on his own.

First a “tweak” and then a “classic” sprain, Burress hadn’t been able to practice until today.

On Wednesday, Burress made it onto the field. And coach Rex Ryan liked what he saw, now that Burress and Derrick Mason and Santonio Holmes were on the field at the same time.

“It looks scary,” Ryan said. “You have that group out there and then you have Dustin [Keller] at your tight end and either Shonn Greene or [LaDainian Tomlinson] in the backfield. That’s what we’ve been waiting for.”

Ryan thinks he’ll get to see Burress and the rest of the weapons in action on Sunday against the Bengals.

“Well remember last time, I don’t want to [jinx] him,” Ryan said. “I think he will play, but last time I thought he would, it was best that he didn’t. But I think he’ll be in there. Without question I think he’ll be in there.”

And Burress thinks he’ll be good.

“I know where I am,” Burress said Wednesday. “I know what I’m capable of doing. Everybody expects [a dropoff because] I’ve been away for two years, and I just turned 34 and all those things. None of those things matter to me. I believe that I’m still one of the best out there competing and I’m not going to lose that mindset. I’m going to go out and my mindset is to dominate one-on-one and that’s what I’ve been pretty much doing throughout my career and I’m not going to stop that mindset now.”

We’ll find out soon whether that mindset is just a mindset, or whether it’s still the truth.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... oks-scary/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/17/with-burress-on-the-field-ryan-says-offense-looks-scary/)