PDA

View Full Version : CB Keenan Lewis out to prove his worth

hawaiiansteel
07-31-2011, 12:03 AM
CB Keenan Lewis out to prove his worth

July, 30, 2011
By James Walker

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0730/nfl_a_lewis_ps_200.jpg

Cornerback Keenan Lewis has a chance to earn more playing time this season.

LATROBE, Pa. -- At his best, cornerback Keenan Lewis says he can be a "miniature-Ike Taylor" for the Pittsburgh Steelers this season.

If that is the case, Pittsburgh's cornerback position isn't as thin as people think.

Opposite fellow corner Bryant McFadden, Lewis opened the first two days of Steelers training camp with the No. 1 defense. Lewis is gaining valuable experience this weekend, while holding the seat warm for Taylor, who signed a four-year contract but cannot practice until next week.

Still, this is a good opportunity for Lewis to prove his worth to the coaching staff and potentially earn a role as a nickel corner after two rocky seasons in Pittsburgh. Lewis is getting the first shot in what should be a deep competition with young teammates Crezdon Butler and rookies Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen.

"It feels good and it shows that I've learned my playbook now," Lewis said after practice Saturday. "I feel more experienced. It's my third year, and I'm just trying to do the best that I can to show all these fans who I really am."

Lewis has always been a natural athlete. The former third-round pick has good size and feet -- two things the Steelers covet -- but he hasn't been able to put it together.

Last year Lewis spent the season in coach Mike Tomlin's doghouse after a poor preseason game against the Denver Broncos. After the game, Lewis showed immaturity in the locker room by punching and shattering glass with is hand, which upset the organization.

Lewis said he's watch the tape of that Denver game plenty of times to learn from those mistakes. He also admits one of the biggest keys this season is to get tougher mentally.

"Last year taught me how to keep a cool head when facing adversity," Lewis said. "When people feel down on you, you can't get down on yourself. You have to keep going. No matter what the situation is, you have to keep getting better everyday."

Here are some additional notes from Steelers camp:

In addition to Plaxico Burress, the Steelers also met with free-agent tight end Daniel Graham on Saturday. Former backup tight end Matt Spaeth signed with the Chicago Bears, which leaves a spot open as the No. 2 tight end. Tomlin described both as "great meetings."

Despite the lockout, Pittsburgh's passing offense looks sharp early. Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and the rest of the receiving corps made several nice catches. Even running back Rashard Mendenhall got into the act with a couple nice grabs out of the backfield.

Free-agent running back John Clay has really good size, but it's hard to evaluate him without contact. I'm looking forward to seeing him run in pads.

Speaking of which, Sunday will be the first full-contract practice of training camp, which Tomlin was very excited about. "It's football," Tomlin said. "We're going to come out with pads on and we're going to play football."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... -his-worth (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/29976/cb-keenan-lewis-out-to-prove-his-worth)

AkronSteel
07-31-2011, 01:20 AM
I would love to see Keenan step up and be a contributor this year. He has the talent....he just needs to get it together upstairs! I hope he learned from his experience last year in Denver and can use that as motivation to become a difference maker for the team. I would very much enjoy him out performing McFadden in the preseason.....allowing to team to cut ties with BMAC! Someone has to step up in that secondary from all the young guys that the team has acquired in the last few years! It might as well be Keenan!!!

Chadman
07-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Either Lewis or Cortez Allen may need to move to FS in time, but I have high hopes for this group of CB's- all look to have a bit about them.

Oviedo
07-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Last season when Anthony Madison played and Lewis didn't that was a clear indicator of his worth or more appropriately his worthlessness. Madison was a complete joke as a DB so I don't expect Lewis to be much more.

Mister Pittsburgh
07-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Is there any chance a younger CB could take the starting job from BMac or is it just understood that Lebeau will just go with Bmac regardless of the talent a first or 2nd year player might have?

flippy
07-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Curtis Brown will take BMac's job. He's the real deal.

Allen has the most raw talent and I'd see what he could do at FS to try and get him on the field sooner than later.

Oviedo
07-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Is there any chance a younger CB could take the starting job from BMac or is it just understood that Lebeau will just go with Bmac regardless of the talent a first or 2nd year player might have?

A younger DB having more talent will make no difference. LeBeau will stay in his comfort zone with veterans who know his system even if they are marginal. He will not change his system to accomodate better young talent earlier in their careers. Especially true this year with no OTAs for the rookies.

steelblood
07-31-2011, 11:37 AM

A younger DB having more talent will make no difference. LeBeau will stay in his comfort zone with veterans who know his system even if they are marginal. He will not change his system to accomodate better young talent earlier in their careers. Especially true this year with no OTAs for the rookies.

While I think Ovi paints an overly negative picture of LeBeau quite often. He is absolutely correct here. Barring an injury to a starter, I see no way a rookie will challenge for a starting job early in the season. Butler and Lewis may be given a chance to compete with BMac, but I'm not even sure they will get a shot. I do think that Brown could challenge for the nickel or dime CB spot.

MaxAMillion
07-31-2011, 12:03 PM
I have given up on Lewis. He was my favorite pick of his class based on how Lewis played in the senior bowl, but it has not translated to the NFL level. I don't expect anything different from Lewis this year than last year.

steelz09
07-31-2011, 12:29 PM
I heard Cortez Allen made a real nice play the other day. He's another guy that seems very athletic and has great size. I'd like to see him do well being from the Citadel.

Didn't someone else say that Butler was starting nickel back?

hawaiiansteel
07-31-2011, 02:52 PM
I heard Cortez Allen made a real nice play the other day. He's another guy that seems very athletic and has great size. I'd like to see him do well being from the Citadel.

© Crezdon Butler got the first chance as the team's dime corner. Of course, Keenan Lewis is in the lineup in place of Ike Taylor, so that could change.

posted by Dale Lolley @ 1:07 PM

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Oviedo
07-31-2011, 03:23 PM

I have several friends who are Citadel alum and go to many of their games. They said when we got Allen we got a diamond in the rough. Now we will just have to wait three years to see him play and find out :stirpot

feltdizz
07-31-2011, 03:29 PM
"It feels good and it shows that I've learned my playbook now,"

:wft this is embarrassing.. 3 years to learn a playbook? Simplify the $#$%@^er so our young players can get on the field.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-31-2011, 03:30 PM
maybe lewis is stupid?

you guys crack me up with the lebeau hate.

feltdizz
07-31-2011, 03:41 PM
maybe lewis is stupid?

you guys crack me up with the lebeau hate.

No one hates Lebeau, I hate the time it takes to learn the playbook.

Maybe Lewis is stupid... but there have been more than a few players who have admitted to the playbook being difficult to grasp. Opposing teams no longer compact their O and max protect... they spread us out and force us to cover and guys are running around crunching numbers while getting burned.

These are football players not scientist...

Mister Pittsburgh
07-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Don't the Cheats & GB both run the 3-4 & didn't both do so last year with very young DB's in big games? I find it utterly baffling that we can't develop any quality DB's. Tomlin is a former DB coach & D coordinator, Leneau a DB & is our D coordinator, yet our DB's all the way through Tomlin's reign suck other than Troy & Ike. It even goes back to the Cowher era with bums like Colclough & Anthony Smith. Chris Hope left & we needed to hit up free agency to replace him.

Djfan
07-31-2011, 10:35 PM
Chris Hope left & we needed to hit up free agency to replace him.

We never replaced him IMO. Our real pass D problems started right there.

Captain Lemming
08-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Chris Hope left & we needed to hit up free agency to replace him.

We never replaced him IMO. Our real pass D problems started right there.

Well can Hope talk smack like our current guy can. I DONT THINK SO.

IMHO, Troys biggest weakness is that he cannot go toe to toe with the Ravens in smack. Even if he tried it would be in that weak Michael Jackson voice of his. Fail.

That is why you have TWO safeties. The free safety must be ready to cover when a strong safety is about to get beat. Clark have verbal jabs that are irreplaceable, and they cover that weakness in Troys game.

In truth is this a team weakness, since many Steelers seem to think "outplaying the other guys" is the goal. Stupid sayings like "let your play do the talking" is a common but twisted view some Steelers seem to have.

When Joey the Jaw Porter left I really was worried.

But Ryan Clark was able to replace Joeys jaw AND Hope as a player.

Can you say MVP?

sentinel33
08-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Personally, I give every player 3 years to pick it up. After 3 years you have probably missed the boat.
I remember reading about how Lewis might end up being better than all the CB's drafted ahead of him. it was in a draft magazine.
I really hope it clicks for him.That will get us back on track in the secondary.
cause Taylor, Lewis, Mcfadden, Gay and Brown is formidable, with probably mcfadden normally being a weak link. but not this year. nope.its contract year for mcfadden. hes pretty much a lock to have a solid season.
we all know what Ike brings to the table and that wont change.
You add in Lewis putting it all together and Brown giving Gay competition and heads up.
Suddenly the 2ndary isnt so secondary anymore.

Oviedo
08-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Personally, I give every player 3 years to pick it up. After 3 years you have probably missed the boat.
I remember reading about how Lewis might end up being better than all the CB's drafted ahead of him. it was in a draft magazine.
I really hope it clicks for him.That will get us back on track in the secondary.
cause Taylor, Lewis, Mcfadden, Gay and Brown is formidable, with probably mcfadden normally being a weak link. but not this year. nope.its contract year for mcfadden. hes pretty much a lock to have a solid season.
You add in Lewis putting it all together and Brown giving Gay competition and heads up.

I continue to ask myself why does it take OUR players three years when Green Bay can win a Super Bowl with second and third year players including one very good DB who they converted from a college WR in the process? What does Dom Capers do that we can't??

Our development, or lack thereof, of defensive backs has been a problem that goes back to the Cowher years. Can't we evealuate talent? Is our defense ridiculously too complex? Do we not let players learn in game situations and they stagnate (my uninformed guess)? I don't have the answer and it frustrates the heck out of me.

We seem to be able to fix every other position area on this team but the secondary. Does someone have the answer?

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 09:59 AM
I continue to ask myself why does it take OUR players three years when Green Bay can win a Super Bowl with second and third year players including one very good DB who they converted from a college WR in the process? What does Dom Capers do that we can't??

Our development, or lack thereof, of defensive backs has been a problem that goes back to the Cowher years. Can't we evealuate talent? Is our defense ridiculously too complex? Do we not let players learn in game situations and they stagnate (my uninformed guess)? I don't have the answer and it frustrates the heck out of me.

We seem to be able to fix every other position area on this team but the secondary. Does someone have the answer?

Green Bay can win a SB when the Steelers turn the ball over three times....

When Green Bay goes to the SB three times in six years, I will concede your point...

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
BTW, Sanders and Brown, for example, had to beat veterans Randle El and Battle for playing time...

It can be done...

sentinel33
08-02-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm with slapstick.

ikestops85
08-02-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm with slapstick.

That's fine ... we don't judge on this board. You can be with whomever you want. :moon :lol:

ramblinjim
08-02-2011, 11:38 AM
well the young guys will have a hard time doing anything this year just because of lack of practice time. I think, barring injury our secondary is going to be pretty good this year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-02-2011, 12:00 PM
IIRC last TC wasn't Lewis pretty much touted as the player ready to step into a bigger role? He made a couple of boneheaded plays, compounded them with stupid penalties and was never heard from again.

I'd think that his relationship with Wallace should be a huge benefit here. He sees his close friend getting it and progressing rapidly. He must understand that there is a right way and a wrong way and has a great example right in front of him.

Hopefully he puts the nonsense behind and dedicates himself to getting it right.

Oviedo
08-02-2011, 12:00 PM
well the young guys will have a hard time doing anything this year just because of lack of practice time. I think, barring injury our secondary is going to be pretty good this year.

I'm typically optimistic too, but I temper that with common sense with regards to our secondary. Here is what concerns me:

1. Troy comes to camp and is still not 100% recovered from last year's injury. So goes Troy so goes the defense.
2. No upgrade at the CB position opposite Ike Taylor
3. We bring back a nickle CB (Gay) who got torched several times last year
4. We look like we will have the exact same players on the field who almost gave a comeback victory to the Jets in the AFC Championship and got shredded by the Packers in the Super Bowl.

I'll have to be very cautiously optimistic until I see a major improvement of the field.

Mister Pittsburgh
08-02-2011, 12:18 PM

When Green Bay goes to the SB three times in six years, I will concede your point...

Two of those three turnovers were to their secondary, no? Amazing they didn't have to pass the 3 year Lebeau bar exam of defensive eptitude to see the field.

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm with slapstick.

That's fine ... we don't judge on this board. You can be with whomever you want. :moon :lol:

Jealous... :moon :moon

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 12:26 PM

Two of those three turnovers were to their secondary, no? Amazing they didn't have to pass the 3 year Lebeau bar exam of defensive eptitude to see the field.

Perhaps, but were those players awarded starting positions right out of training camp? Or did they earn playing time throughout the season? Were there injuries that led to more playing time for them?

Is there a difference between being a consistently excellent team and catching lightning in a bottle?

feltdizz
08-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Regardless of how they got on the field they looked decent once they were inserted...

our CB's tend to let WR's run free and have no idea what play is being called...

Oviedo
08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Regardless of how they got on the field they looked decent once they were inserted...

our CB's tend to let WR's run free and have no idea what play is being called...

Our "scheme" does seem to emphasize the "chase technique" versus the "run with technique"

I would venture to guess that is a result of the designed in 10 yard cushions. Maybe that is why it takes so long to develop our DBs. We have to break them of the "bad habit" of covering WRs close and tight. :stirpot

Shoe
08-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Curtis Brown will take BMac's job. He's the real deal.

Allen has the most raw talent and I'd see what he could do at FS to try and get him on the field sooner than later.

You don't mean this year do you? Though... because of your comment, I did have to revisit just who Curtis Brown is--Damn! I don't remember reading such an impressive draft summary of him... I'm gonna have to dig up my Mel Kiper/Nolan Nawrocki books to read more about him.

With Brown, Butler (who is supposed to be similarly blessed athletically), we seem to have really nice down-the-road potential. But I have little hope for either of those guys stepping in and making a positive impact this season (other than Special teams).

NJ-STEELER
08-02-2011, 06:07 PM

i think its a talent issue too.

we aren't exactly picking the top corners in the draft these last few years. i guess mcfadden and coclough were the 2 higherst picked guys that havent panned out as expected

Mister Pittsburgh
08-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Don't fool yourselves that CB or DB's have been the only tough positions we have had drafting. If they aren't 1st round picks they are all subpar players on D. (or picked a decade ago!)

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2011, 10:14 PM
I've always wondered if Lewis isn't better suited to play safety...

Gay signed; secondary stronger

By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com
8/1/2011

LATROBE - The Steelers added another piece to their secondary Sunday, agreeing to terms with cornerback William Gay on a multi-year contract.

Gay, who was an unrestricted free agent, will join the team at its training camp at Saint Vincent College today. Because of the new collective bargaining rules, Gay will not be permitted to practice until Thursday.

With the signing of Ike Taylor last week and Gay Sunday, the Steelers shored up their secondary. They previously added rookies Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen in the third and fourth rounds of this year's draft.

With Taylor and Gay sitting until Thursday, third-year player Keenan Lewis and second-year man Crezdon Butler have received extra opportunities to impress new defensive backs coach Carnell Lake.

Lake, who took over when Ray Horton left for a job with the Arizona Cardinals, is the only new coach on the Steelers' staff. With the lockout over, he's getting his first look at the defensive backs.

"We're all thrown in here together," said Lake, a former Steelers star. "As a coach, you want to get a feel for the players, want to get a feel for the system. I've been away for a while. There are nuances that have developed since I played.

"I like what I see."

Neither Lewis nor Butler saw much playing time on defense last year, but both are hoping to take advantage of their latest opportunity. Before sitting out Sunday's practice because of heat-related problems, Lewis had replaced Taylor in the base defense, while Butler worked in the slot in nickel and dime packages. On Sunday, Butler was working with the first team in the base defense.

Lewis knows time is running out and he must either claim a more prominent role with the Steelers or be released.

"I talked to Lake and he told me to be ready for all positions," said Lewis, a 2009 third-round draft pick. "He's going to give me a chance, and I want to take it. I feel like I'm familiar enough with the playbook to play in the nickel, the dime, safety, whatever."

Lewis spent the offseason working out with teammate Mike Wallace, a childhood friend, and some members of the Saints in his hometown of New Orleans. Included in that group was safety Darren Sharper, a college teammate of Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin at William & Mary.

"(Sharper) told me to give it all I got and show (Tomlin) how versatile I can be, nickel, safety, whatever," said Lewis. "That will make me more valuable to this team."

Lewis was in Tomlin's doghouse at times last season, particularly after Tomlin gave him a start in the third preseason game at Denver and he was repeatedly beaten by Brandon Lloyd. Lewis made things worse by breaking a sign outside the locker room in frustration following the game.

"Brandon Lloyd was a Pro Bowl wide receiver. He's no slouch," Lewis said. "I wouldn't say I had a bad preseason. I tried to learn from it and get better. That was my first time being with the starting group. I never got down on myself."

With a strong body of work in the first week of training camp, the 6-0, 208-pound Lewis could change his future.

"When people get down on you, you can't get down on yourself," Lewis said. "No matter what the situation is, you have to keep getting better."

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/spo ... sive-backs (http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/08-01-2011-Steelers-defensive-backs)

Chadman
08-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Like Ovi, I get frustrated not seeing these potentially exciting youngsters get on the field. That said, I think we need to realise that the Steelers D is a little different from say, the Packers who are good for a couple of years, bad for a couple...they get high draft picks every 3 years or so & are able to probably shuffle in rookies earlier due to the talent in their DB's not being of a consistantly high level, like the Steelers.

You see- I don't think the Steelers DB's are actually that bad. I think the scheme is designed to stop the run first, prolong the passing plays second & give the LB's time to get to the QB. I think that is the reason for the "10 yard cushion"- extend the passing plays, don't let the QB air it out before the LB's get close. Problem is- teams have worked out that we are now vulnerable to shorter passing attacks- the Pats are a good example.

So the Steelers are kind of stuck- they can't draft the top CB's because they never draft high enough- meaning they tend to have the 'solid' CB's on their roster- not the Revis'. As a result, they are not quite as 'good' as needed to stick man-to-man with high quality WR's in the NFL long enough to let the LB's get the pressure on the QB. So the 'answer' is to hold the CB's back, and try to extend the passing plays more. And because troy doesn't play coverage like a normal Safety, and Clark isn't really a very good coverage Safety, the Steelers can't gamble with the CB's as much as they'd probably like.

So what would you do? Play man-to-man with your CB's & watch them get torched on occasion? Or play them back & allow death by incriments?

In the end, I suspect the answer might come more from the Safety play- if Clark could cover like a quasi-CB, or if the Steelers gave up on Troy as a line-of-scrimmage player & had him as a cover guy instead- you could probably play the CB's tighter, and they might even look better in some degree. But that really nullifies the best defensive player on the roster- because Troy's versatility is the Steelers X-Factor more often than not.

A coverage-FS would answer a lot of our prayers I expect. But generally a 'coverage guy' isn't as good a 'run stopping guy'- which is the Steelers MO first & foremost.

If only there were 2 Troy Polamalu's...

hawaiiansteel
08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
TUESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2011

Tuesday news and notes

© With Bryant McFadden out Tuesday, Keenan Lewis took snaps with the first-team defense and had one of his better practices.

That's big news for the Steelers, who are still hoping Lewis turns into a player.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-12-2011, 11:41 AM
TUESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2011

Tuesday news and notes

© With Bryant McFadden out Tuesday, Keenan Lewis took snaps with the first-team defense and had one of his better practices.

That's big news for the Steelers, who are still hoping Lewis turns into a player.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

I have high hopes for Lewis this season and think that he should - at worst - overtake Gay on the depth chart.

Last season he was set to make the step. He started a pre season game and messed up with stupid 15 yard penalties. Not because he could not play, but because he let his emotions get the better of him. He found himself in the coach's doghouse right after.

He has spent most of the off season working out with his buddy Wallace, and has done a decent job of covering him in camp. This guy has the tools. If he can keep his head on straight then he will play perform.

MaxAMillion
08-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Don't fool yourselves that CB or DB's have been the only tough positions we have had drafting. If they aren't 1st round picks they are all subpar players on D. (or picked a decade ago!)

I think Woodley is a pretty good player.

hawaiiansteel
08-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Players to Watch in Pittsburgh Steelers' Friday Preseason Opener Against Washington Redskins

by Simonsen on Aug 10, 2011

Keenan Lewis, Cornerback, #23, 3rd Year

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/777439/_MG_0229--nfl_medium_540_360_medium.jpg

Remember last year, when after early practice sessions many declared Bryant McFadden’s starting role a thing of the past? The reason was Keenan Lewis, who impressed coaches and reporters alike with his physicality, speed, and overall ability to cover receivers. The young corner was coming into his second season, having spent the first learning behind the corners and injuring his back when help was needed.

But these high hopes quickly dispelled during the preseason, when Lewis started a game against the Denver Broncos yet got benched in the second quarter after racking up two personal foul penalties. After the game, Lewis showed his immaturity when he punched a glass sign and as a result was called "dumb" by Tomlin. This year, Lewis is out to prove that he has the ability and maturity to start in this league, and has once again impressed in training camp by successfully covering his childhood friend and budding star Mike Wallace among others. The next step is to prove his abilities against an actual opponent, and the Washington game could come as a perfect opportunity for just that.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... hris-scott (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/10/2354394/pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp-preseason-baron-batch-keenan-lewis-chris-scott)

papillon
08-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Keenan Lewis isn't covering anyone very well tonight. I hope it's just a bad night for him.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2011, 02:34 AM
DB coach Carnell Lake remains upbeat about 3rd year corner Keenan Lewis

Mon, Aug 15th, 2011
By Dale Grdnic

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Keenan+Lewis+Oakland+Raiders+v+Pittsburgh+h3usutUq Z9Cl.jpg

LATROBE, Pa. -- The Pittsburgh Steelers' secondary basically was ready to go to begin the preseason opener last week, but as the second quarter got underway mostly undrafted free agents were needed to provide depth.

Cornerback Bryant McFadden and safety Troy Polamalu did not play due to injury, and both cornerback Ike Taylor and safety Ryan Clark were lost in the first quarter. And veteran safety Will Allen was a late scratch.

So, fifth-year player William Gay and third-year pro Keenan Lewis manned the corner spots, while third-year pro Ryan Mundy started for Polamalu and first-year player Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith took over for Clark. But Lewis could be the key to the cornerback spot if the light finally turns on this season.

"They're all trying very hard, and Keenan's progressing,'' Steelers secondary coach Carnell Lake said. "He's coachable, and he's trying to do what I've asked him to do. He's playing within himself right now. Opportunities are all around.

"You never know when you're going to be in a game, and I keep telling my guys that. So, you just have to be prepared when your number's called.''

With Taylor out indefinitely with a broken left thumb and McFadden struggling to come back from a slight hamstring tear, it should be a time to shine for Lewis. He is expected to start against the Philadelphia Eagles Thursday night at 8 at Heinz Field.

"It's a big opportunity for me, and it would be the same for anyone with a chance to step onto the field in a starting role,'' Lewis said. "This is my third year, so I'm a lot more confident out there, and I'm looking forward to taking advantage of any chance I get.

"(But) I really don't look at this like it's a make-or-break season for me. It's an important opportunity, but it's not like it's going to be my last one. I believe I do have to make a bigger splash this time, because I've been here two years now. I know what I need to do, but I just have to do out there and do it.''

The other drafted cornerbacks, second-year player Crezdon Butler and rookie draft picks Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, also have missed considerable time the past two weeks in camp with hamstring problems. Lake believes things happen in waves, like interceptions and injuries, but he was hopeful that the Steelers' injuries in the secondary have run their course. And all the picks are yet to come.

McFadden wants to start against the Eagles, but he's more hopeful that his worst days are behind him as far as these injuries are concerned. He said that he wasn't too healthy last season, despite not missing any regular-season games during his sixth NFL season.

McFadden suffered from various lower body injuries during the latter portion of the season, including an abdomen strain in the AFC divisional playoff win over the Baltimore Ravens. He played a limited role against the New York Jets in the AFC championship and in the Super Bowl versus the Green Bay Packers.

"I'm getting better all the time,'' McFadden said. "So, we're going to continue the same treatment and press forward with everything. It's been a tough couple weeks for me, but I practiced some (Sunday) and {hope to go again today}, " McFadden said prior to today's practice. "As far as playing Thursday, we'll have to wait to see how the next couple days go.

"Hamstrings are kind of tricky, so we're just being smart about it and doing everything that the doctors tell me to do. I'm practicing and seeing how I feel afterward. This is my first time with this type of injury, so I'm not used to anything like this. I've had little strains before, but nothing like this.''

McFadden said it was more like a tear, not off the bone, but the hamstring was slightly torn and had to heal.

"We're getting closer, but we're not there yet,'' McFadden said. "I have to be able to open up and run full speed, and if you're not healthy it could come back and last the entire year.''

McFadden was hopeful that he would be ready to play next week if he's not able to go against the Eagles.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... wis/41633/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/db-coach-carnell-lake-remains-upbeat-about-3rd-year-corner-keenan-lewis/41633/)

BradshawsHairdresser
08-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Lake believes things happen in waves, like interceptions and injuries

Or maybe underachieving DB's getting cut?

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2011, 12:08 AM
the Eagles game is the best I've ever seen Keenan Lewis play, he looks to be the #4 CB now behind Ike, BMac and Willie Gay.

steelblood
08-19-2011, 12:47 AM
the Eagles game is the best I've ever seen Keenan Lewis play, he looks to be the #4 CB now behind Ike, BMac and Willie Gay.

He did look much improved. Imagine if Carnell Lake actually coaches up some of our DBs. It is conceivable that we could have a good secondary! (I said conceivable.)

MaxAMillion
08-19-2011, 01:05 AM
Lewis had an interception so he looked better but the truth is he has the same issue every week. He does not handle change of direction well. He can cover a go route where he only has to run with the receiver. He is also pretty decent in zone coverage, but when he plays man and the receiver makes any sort of move, he struggles.

I actually think Butler has more potential if he ever stays healthy.

steelz09
08-19-2011, 08:41 AM
He looked good I thought... not great but good.

I think the poor passing made the secondary look better than what they are.

As of right now, I still would rather have Lewis on the outside than W. Gay.

BradshawsHairdresser
08-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Lewis had an interception so he looked better but the truth is he has the same issue every week. He does not handle change of direction well. He can cover a go route where he only has to run with the receiver. He is also pretty decent in zone coverage, but when he plays man and the receiver makes any sort of move, he struggles.

$$$$$$$

He looked good I thought... not great but good.

I think the poor passing made the secondary look better than what they are.

$$$$$$$

Secondary is still a major concern. Just because the Eagles failed to exploit the weaknesses early on, doesn't mean they weren't there.

papillon
08-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Michael Vick made our secondary look All Pro players. I'm not sure that anything has changed. Vick looked lost and I'm sure the Steelers didn't really game plan at all (based on Tomlin's comments). It was more the Eagles looking pathetic than the Steelers looking great, IMO. It was good to see Silverback pushing the pocket and Troy flying around, but I'm not getting too excited about the defense just yet.

I'm still not convinced Michael Vick is all that. The pundits have him rated better than Ben in some instances and I can't see that being the case. He brings more excitement, because he's the best athlete in the game, but he still isn't a good NFL quarterback, IMO.

He had time last night and continually through into coverage or behind receivers, etc.

It was good to see the defense stand up and take account for themselves, but I'm tempering my excitement about the way they played and in particular, Keenan Lewis. Like all other Steelers, I want him to be good or great, but right now he's still learning.

Pappy

Oviedo
08-19-2011, 10:29 AM

I actually think Butler has more potential if he ever stays healthy.

:Agree WRs were getting separation easily. If not for inaccurate throws Lewis would not have looked good.

sentinel33
08-19-2011, 11:18 AM
No way could this be the result of having Troy and Jimmy on the field. could it???

I mean, Ike and McFadden didn't play, yet Lewis and Gay were effective.

This is what this defense brings to the table when they are 100% healthy.
The display last night by the defense was sweet. The encouraging thing to me is that we didn't even play our starting CB's . And we got that result.

Yeah. Vick had a bit of an off night. But they looked good regardless.

I thought Lewis and Gay stepped up nicely to the challenge.

I can see Lewis rounding into form by mid-season barring injurys.

chiken
08-19-2011, 11:36 AM
i guess to piggy back.. Its not like Vick was just standing back there throwing bad passes. The pocket was being pushed in on him, and he did have to move around quite a bit.

Also I didn't see guys running "wide" open.. I saw our guys around every pass. Even the long opening to Jackson saw him double covered.

Having Troy (healthy) on the field was the major disruption.. Remember how many passes he ALMOST got to. He could have easily have had 3 interceptions. This causes MOST Qb's to hold the ball just a little bit longer, giving our 2nd string Db's just enough time.

and that play the Keenan made was just a Good play.. He had the underneath and was right where he was suppose to be. Vick does not throw with Touch so the Coverage had to have been tight.

The guys played fast Last-night, you could see the extra Pep they had knowing the playmaker was lurking. I dont know why they do it but when he is healthy and playing with them, its a whole different defense.

hawaiiansteel
08-20-2011, 06:28 PM
A Pittsburgh Steeler Steps Up Big Against the Philadelphia Eagles

By Cian Fahey (Featured Columnist) on August 19, 2011

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/190/277/112141597_crop_340x234.jpg?1313772703

Keenan Lewis is a third-year player who has always been looked upon as a talented player that never got the mental side of the game. Lewis was terrible against the Redskins last week, so a lot of people will point to my optimism from last game and say that I am overreacting.

However, the difference between condemning him for last week's performance and applauding him for this week lies in what he did on the field.

Last week, Lewis was put in zone coverage playing off coverage for essentially every snap that he was on the field. He never gave up the big play but never got near the football either.

Last night, Lewis was allowed to play in more man coverage and even played press coverage on a few occasions. Unsurprisingly considering his build and size—6'0", 208 lbs—Lewis looked far more comfortable in man coverage than in zone.

Lewis showed last night that when used in the right way he can play football without thinking and reacting to the situations that unfold in front of him. In fact, because Lewis is so different from the Steelers other corners—save for Ike Taylor—he offers the defense a new dimension.

The Louisiana native has the speed and size that the Steelers other corners do not. Last night he showed off his speed on the first play from scrimmage with good coverage on a deep pass to DeSean Jackson that ultimately was overthrown.

His coverage of Riley Cooper resulted in Ryan Clark's interception of Michael Vick. Lewis had decent, not great, coverage of Cooper, but because of his size and wingspan, he forced Vick to lay the ball out further than he would have had to if Bryant McFadden or William Gay were on the field.

Vick's pass fell directly into the waiting hands of Clark because Lewis forced Vick to throw further down the field than he wanted to.

Lewis picked off his own pass on the next drive when he once again was blanketing Cooper in man coverage. On that play he showed good awareness and understanding to snap his head back to the quarterback just before the ball arrived to Cooper.

The fact that Lewis got the chance to play with the first team—and a healthy Troy Polamalu—freed him from the vanilla zone defense that was restricting him last week. If Lewis can continue that level of play he will likely be a starter opposite Ike Taylor in Week 1.

That would drastically improve the Steelers secondary and allow them to play better coverage on the outside while moving McFadden to the nickel which would also get the best out of him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8115 ... hia-eagles (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/811535-pittsburgh-steelers-two-steelers-step-up-big-against-the-philadelphia-eagles)

RuthlessBurgher
08-25-2011, 01:31 PM

He did look much improved. Imagine if Carnell Lake actually coaches up some of our DBs. It is conceivable that we could have a good secondary! (I said conceivable.)

http://kylearchibald.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/inconceivable.jpg

Oviedo
08-25-2011, 01:50 PM

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/190/277/112141597_crop_340x234.jpg?1313772703

Keenan Lewis is a third-year player who has always been looked upon as a talented player that never got the mental side of the game. Lewis was terrible against the Redskins last week, so a lot of people will point to my optimism from last game and say that I am overreacting.

However, the difference between condemning him for last week's performance and applauding him for this week lies in what he did on the field.

Last week, Lewis was put in zone coverage playing off coverage for essentially every snap that he was on the field. He never gave up the big play but never got near the football either.

Last night, Lewis was allowed to play in more man coverage and even played press coverage on a few occasions. Unsurprisingly considering his build and size—6'0", 208 lbs—Lewis looked far more comfortable in man coverage than in zone.

Lewis showed last night that when used in the right way he can play football without thinking and reacting to the situations that unfold in front of him. In fact, because Lewis is so different from the Steelers other corners—save for Ike Taylor—he offers the defense a new dimension.

The Louisiana native has the speed and size that the Steelers other corners do not. Last night he showed off his speed on the first play from scrimmage with good coverage on a deep pass to DeSean Jackson that ultimately was overthrown.

His coverage of Riley Cooper resulted in Ryan Clark's interception of Michael Vick. Lewis had decent, not great, coverage of Cooper, but because of his size and wingspan, he forced Vick to lay the ball out further than he would have had to if Bryant McFadden or William Gay were on the field.

Vick's pass fell directly into the waiting hands of Clark because Lewis forced Vick to throw further down the field than he wanted to.

Lewis picked off his own pass on the next drive when he once again was blanketing Cooper in man coverage. On that play he showed good awareness and understanding to snap his head back to the quarterback just before the ball arrived to Cooper.

The fact that Lewis got the chance to play with the first team—and a healthy Troy Polamalu—freed him from the vanilla zone defense that was restricting him last week. If Lewis can continue that level of play he will likely be a starter opposite Ike Taylor in Week 1.

That would drastically improve the Steelers secondary and allow them to play better coverage on the outside while moving McFadden to the nickel which would also get the best out of him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8115 ... hia-eagles (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/811535-pittsburgh-steelers-two-steelers-step-up-big-against-the-philadelphia-eagles)

So he is best at playing man to man when our scheme doesn't allow the CBs to play man to man. What is wrong with this picture??????

Here is a really crazy idea....How about changing the coverage responsibilities in the scheme to match the skills of the players we have????

steelblood
08-25-2011, 03:11 PM

So he is best at playing man to man when our scheme doesn't allow the CBs to play man to man. What is wrong with this picture??????

Here is a really crazy idea....How about changing the coverage responsibilities in the scheme to match the skills of the players we have????

According to the article, that is what happened in the Eagles game.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-25-2011, 03:29 PM
so we should change the scheme that puts us in the top 5 in defense every year to accomodate a 3rd year CB that has shown little or nothing so far in his career.

brilliant!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
08-25-2011, 03:43 PM
so we should change the scheme that puts us in the top 5 in defense every year to accomodate a 3rd year CB that has shown little or nothing so far in his career.

brilliant!!!!!

http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp-content/uploads/guinness_brilliant.jpg

BradshawsHairdresser
08-25-2011, 03:47 PM

brilliant!!!!!

If it makes our defense better, YES. We should never be content to rest on our laurels, but should always be looking to IMPROVE. That means making ADJUSTMENTS, from time to time, in the scheme in order to bring the BEST out of the PERSONNEL we HAVE.

I don't want us to be just a top 5 defense...I want to be #1, and WIN the Super Bowl.

I know, realistically, we're not going to win the Super Bowl every year. But if being the best isn't in your sights, you're not very likely to get there.

ikestops85
08-25-2011, 03:56 PM

Sounds like that is what DL is doing. I think he is reading your posts :moon :lol:

Eddie Spaghetti
08-25-2011, 04:25 PM

brilliant!!!!!

If it makes our defense better, YES. We should never be content to rest on our laurels, but should always be looking to IMPROVE. That means making ADJUSTMENTS, from time to time, in the scheme in order to bring the BEST out of the PERSONNEL we HAVE.

I don't want us to be just a top 5 defense...I want to be #1, and WIN the Super Bowl.

I know, realistically, we're not going to win the Super Bowl every year. But if being the best isn't in your sights, you're not very likely to get there.

thats a big "if". i am confident lebeau knows his personnel better than anyone on this message board. face it, we don't have pro-bowl corners and probably won't since we don't spend high draft picks on them. this defense is designed to get to the QB and it's extremely effective as the stats will bear out. thats our bread and butter and has been for awhile now.

do you really believe that the defense doesn't set out to be the best every year? everyone wants to be #1 every year, but you are right, it's not realistic. but i'll be damned if lebeau doesn't come close every single year.

i really don't get you guys that want to change a scheme that has us in 3 of the last 6 super bowls, winning 2. as far as i am concerned the offense dropped the ball last year.

and before ovi comes in screaming about rodgers lighting us up, we weren't the only ones. sometimes a hot QB trumps any and all "schemes".

BradshawsHairdresser
08-25-2011, 05:14 PM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":1hwo41pv]so we should change the scheme that puts us in the top 5 in defense every year to accomodate a 3rd year CB that has shown little or nothing so far in his career.

brilliant!!!!!

thats a big "if". i am confident lebeau knows his personnel better than anyone on this message board. face it, we don't have pro-bowl corners and probably won't since we don't spend high draft picks on them. this defense is designed to get to the QB and it's extremely effective as the stats will bear out. thats our bread and butter and has been for awhile now.

do you really believe that the defense doesn't set out to be the best every year? everyone wants to be #1 every year, but you are right, it's not realistic. but i'll be damned if lebeau doesn't come close every single year.

i really don't get you guys that want to change a scheme that has us in 3 of the last 6 super bowls, winning 2. as far as i am concerned the offense dropped the ball last year.

and before ovi comes in screaming about rodgers lighting us up, we weren't the only ones. sometimes a hot QB trumps any and all "schemes".[/quote:1hwo41pv]

If you stubbornly refuse to change your scheme, even though it doesn't maximize the effectiveness of the personnel you have, then your team is not going to be the best that it can be. If our corners suck at zone, and are much better in man coverage, but we insist on having them play zone, rather than man coverage, there are teams out there that will certainly expose our weakness. The same principle applies with offensive personnel. Why keep pounding a square peg into a round hole? Instead, maybe we make an adjustment here and there, and we win another Super Bowl that we wouldn't have otherwise. You seem content with whatever LeBeau does as long as he "has them close every year." But last time I checked, they don't give you the Lombardi trophy for "getting close."

BTW, I'm not absolving the offense...I agree that they dropped the ball; BA consistently has them underachieving. All the more reason to try to IMPROVE the defense by making adjustments where needed.

Oviedo
08-25-2011, 05:16 PM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":308shbm5]so we should change the scheme that puts us in the top 5 in defense every year to accomodate a 3rd year CB that has shown little or nothing so far in his career.

brilliant!!!!!

and before ovi comes in screaming about rodgers lighting us up, we weren't the only ones. sometimes a hot QB trumps any and all "schemes".

If you stubbornly refuse to change your scheme, even though it doesn't maximize the effectiveness of the personnel you have, then your team is not going to be the best that it can be. If our corners suck at zone, and are much better in man coverage, but we insist on having them play zone, rather than man coverage, there are teams out there that will certainly expose our weakness. The same principle applies with offensive personnel. Why keep pounding a square peg into a round hole? Instead, maybe we make an adjustment here and there, and we win another Super Bowl that we wouldn't have otherwise. You seem content with whatever LeBeau does as long as he "has them close every year." But last time I checked, they don't give you the Lombardi trophy for "getting close."

BTW, I'm not absolving the offense...I agree that they dropped the ball; BA consistently has them underachieving. All the more reason to try to IMPROVE the defense by making adjustments where needed.[/quote:308shbm5]

:Agree Sometimes the greatest achievements and successes occur when you get out of your comfort zone.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-25-2011, 05:43 PM
you guys are nuts or spoiled. hard to figure which.

you act like it easy to put the kind of defense out there that lebeau consistently fields. and when you speak of "maximizing talent", what the hell else can he do? look at the # of pro-bowlers and DPOY's we have had lately. what the hell do you guys want? that is maximizing the talent we have.

the steelers abhor giving up the big play believing that eventually the defense will deliver one of its own or the offense will make a mistake. and it works. and none of you "experts" have even mentioned what this "scheme" accomplishes against the run. take a look at last years totals and get back to me. while you are looking, check the points allowed category too. but lets scrap it all for the sake of change. i got news for you guys, if it was that easy, everyone would would field a great defense.

Captain Lemming
08-25-2011, 06:16 PM
:Agree Sometimes the greatest achievements and successes occur when you get out of your comfort zone.

Hmmmm.
Lebeau's "COMFORT ZONE" defense.

"Soft" coverage, providing a ten yard "cozy cushion" for receivers to get comfortable in.

Slapstick
08-26-2011, 11:31 PM
LeBeau's comfort zone:

Consistently among the top 5 defenses and enjoying his SB rings and golden HoF jacket...

BradshawsHairdresser
08-27-2011, 12:57 PM
The Green Bay Packers, too, have enjoyed LeBeau's Comfort Zone, and will also be enjoying their latest Super Bowl ring.

Slapstick
08-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Because it was the defense that bears most of the blame for that Super Bowl loss...

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BradshawsHairdresser
08-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Because it was the defense that bears most of the blame for that Super Bowl loss...

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Never said that. If the offense had not turned the ball over, we would likely have won that game. And I've given plenty of criticism to BA. If you've done much reading on this board, you would know that. Also, Ben was clearly not at the top of his game.

However, you cannot count on your offense to have a "perfect" game when it comes to turnovers--nor can you count on BA to come up with a real good game plan. Even Ben, good as he is, will sometimes fall short of his own stellar standard. In the Super Bowl, we needed our D to bring their "A" game...and they didn't.

Let's face it, the gaps that Rodgers found in our passing D made a sieve look solid. Had the Packers receivers been on their "A" game, they could've easily scored 40 points.

What works great against the likes of the Cincy Ben-gals won't necessarily get it done vs. a team like the Packers with a QB like Aaron Rodgers. FLEXIBILTY, my friend. We expect position flexibility out of our Offensive Linemen...why can't we have a bit more flexibility when it comes to the way we play defense? Isn't that a big part of what coaching is all about--making adjustments to counter the different teams that you play? And doesn't it make sense to also adjust your defense, as far as possible, to maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of your own personnel?

I want to see this team get the best performance possible from BOTH their offense and defense, EVERY game. Is that always going to happen? Of course not. But again, if you ever want to get to the top, you have to aim for it.

Look, I understand that LeBeau has a wealth of knowledge and experience. He's forgotten far more than I'll ever know about playing football. I just think that sometimes, it's too easy for coaches and coordinators to get stuck in what worked in the past, instead of being willing to make changes in order to improve.

Slapstick
08-27-2011, 04:13 PM
And just because you don't think the coaches are willing to do something doesn't mean that they aren't doing it...

Case in point:

Perhaps if Keenan hadn't thrown a childlike temper tantrum in Denver last year, he would have been playing man coverage in the SB...McFadden seemingly can't do it...but, go ahead and blame LeBeau's scheme....

The Green Bay defense gave up more points than the Steelers defense did that day...

DukieBoy
08-27-2011, 04:40 PM
The Green Bay Packers, too, have enjoyed LeBeau's Comfort Zone, and will also be enjoying their latest Super Bowl ring.

The Packers are a highly well-coached team.

Offensively, with their schemes they can take apart any defense. Rodgers is pinpoint effective whether in the pocket, on the move, throwing off of either foot. And they have an outstanding corps of receivers and an O-line built for pass protection.

Defensively, they scouted us very well. Both the interception and the fumble were apparently plays anticipated (based on some player statements) by the defense when they happened based on some cues that they had scouted well.

I think we got a bit out-coached in that game, mostly by the Packers' excellent scouting and preparation.

There were some significant execution errors, of course. But I think the Packer team was better prepared for their opponent than the Steelers were prepped for theirs.

DukieBoy
08-27-2011, 04:43 PM
And now back to Keenan Ivory Lewis ... may he fulfill his best potentials this year and for years to come. If he's got some confidence back in his game, and if he is placed in situations which seem to maximize his strengths, he's got a shot.

And here's hoping to see more press coverage, and less 15 yard cushions, esp the 1st down 8-yard giveaways.

MaxAMillion
08-27-2011, 05:42 PM
You can't do better than 1st in the league in defense. That is what the Steelers were in 2010. No one gave up fewer points than the Steelers yet people complain about schemes.
I look forward to Labeau leaving so people can see what the defense looks likes without him.

The Steelers lost the Super Bowl because one QB played great and the other did not. Roethlisberger missed players all game long because of bad accuracy and he did not read the field well either. NFLN showed coaches tape where Ben missed Heath Miller wide open on the left side of the field at one point due to a blown coverage and instead threw the ball towards Wallace who was double covered. The ball was intercepted and of course it was the coaches fault.

No one gets a pass from Steeler fans like Roethlisberger. He played mediocre in the Super Bowl and barely threw for 100 yards against the Jets, yet Labeau and his schemes are the big concern.

NJ-STEELER
08-28-2011, 01:12 AM
You can't do better than 1st in the league in defense. That is what the Steelers were in 2010. No one gave up fewer points than the Steelers yet people complain about schemes.
I look forward to Labeau leaving so people can see what the defense looks likes without him.

The Steelers lost the Super Bowl because one QB played great and the other did not. Roethlisberger missed players all game long because of bad accuracy and he did not read the field well either. NFLN showed coaches tape where Ben missed Heath Miller wide open on the left side of the field at one point due to a blown coverage and instead threw the ball towards Wallace who was double covered. The ball was intercepted and of course it was the coaches fault.

No one gets a pass from Steeler fans like Roethlisberger. He played mediocre in the Super Bowl and barely threw for 100 yards against the Jets, yet Labeau and his schemes are the big concern.

i love lebeau

but with the players on this defense, i'd have a hard time believing we wouldnt be a good defense running a different scheme if they chose to

the same scheme we run now wasnt as effective with porter and haggans at OLB and with 43 in the secondary

feltdizz
08-28-2011, 10:45 AM
The scheme isn't the problem, if Lewis pans out and Warren sticks around this D will be sick.

It's frustrating to watch our D get picked apart by the best QB's in the game but that happens 2 or 3 times a year and besides the Pats we are usually in a position to win those games.

ikestops85
08-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Steeler Nation --- the most spoiled fans on the Planet. :moon

papillon
08-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Steeler Nation --- the most spoiled fans on the Planet. :moon

:Agree right back at ya :moon

We may be spoiled, but the Steelers have 6! :tt2 :tt2

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Steelers | Keenan Lewis practices

Mon, 29 Aug 2011

Pittsburgh Steelers CB Keenan Lewis (knee) participated in practice Monday, Aug. 29. Lewis said he has tendinitis in his knee but it will not prevent him from playing.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Ray Fittipaldo

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=1#ixzz1WU6AVqoX

NottinghamForest_UK
08-30-2011, 05:21 AM
How many Corners will the Steelers roster? If 6 which two should be left out? I'd like to see Curtis Brown start alongside Ike. And will Cortez & Warren have to make do with the practice squad, thanks to the lock out?

steelz09
08-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Is Cortez going to play on Thursday?

steelz09
08-30-2011, 11:52 AM
The scheme isn't the problem, if Lewis pans out and Warren sticks around this D will be sick.

It's frustrating to watch our D get picked apart by the best QB's in the game but that happens 2 or 3 times a year and besides the Pats we are usually in a position to win those games.

That's all good and all but to make it to the SB, we'll probably have to beat a couple of the best QBs in the game. Or we can just hope that the Jets or Ravens can beat the Pats .

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-30-2011, 12:15 PM
How many Corners will the Steelers roster? If 6 which two should be left out? I'd like to see Curtis Brown start alongside Ike. And will Cortez & Warren have to make do with the practice squad, thanks to the lock out?

I can't see Allen surviving the PS. He is a raw talent that has the chance to turn into a very good CB, or burst into flames. As I mentioned in another thread, think Ike Taylor. Ike was a fourth rounder in '03 who had only one season at CB in college after transitioning from RB. You'd think as a former offensive player he'd have better hands - but I digress.

Both are great athletes who are/were trying to find their place on a football field. If Allen can learn to translate that raw athletic ability into the CB position then we have a star in the making.

The thing is that every NFL team just scouted this kid and he is fresh in their memories. Somewhere there is a team that is miles away from contending who will have the roster spot available while they nurse him along. I think that if they are serious about Cortez being part of their future then they will have to keep him on their roster.

Eich
08-30-2011, 12:47 PM
That's all good and all but to make it to the SB, we'll probably have to beat a couple of the best QBs in the game. Or we can just hope that the Jets or Ravens can beat the Pats .

I think WE can beat the Pats just the way Detriot did it the other night. Not with CB's but by harassing Marcia.

We did it to Manning in 2005 on the way to the Super Bowl. We just have to figure out how to get pressure on Marcia. We certainly seem to have the personnel to do it.

steelz09
08-30-2011, 01:45 PM

I think WE can beat the Pats just the way Detriot did it the other night. Not with CB's but by harassing Marcia.

We did it to Manning in 2005 on the way to the Super Bowl. We just have to figure out how to get pressure on Marcia. We certainly seem to have the personnel to do it.

Yes we have the personeel but execution is a different matter. I hate Brady just as much as any Raven, lol. BUT he has had our # for years regardless of where we play.

hawaiiansteel
08-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Is Cortez going to play on Thursday?

yes, Cortez Allen and BMac are both expected to make their debuts this Thursday.

ramblinjim
08-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I keep hearing how Cortez Allen is an Ike Taylor clone. I get the size and small school thing but wasn't Ike freakishly fast like Mike Wallace fast coming out of college and doesn't Allen just have "pretty good speed".

Any chance this kid is closer to Ricardo Colclough?

Slapstick
08-30-2011, 05:03 PM
I keep hearing how Cortez Allen is an Ike Taylor clone. I get the size and small school thing but wasn't Ike freakishly fast like Mike Wallace fast coming out of college and doesn't Allen just have "pretty good speed".

Any chance this kid is closer to Ricardo Colclough?

Possible...but he was drafted two rounds after Colclough, so the bust factor is minimized...