Foote?

Some people will have to go!!

Just guessing or inside info????

Lebsteel
07-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Farrior?
Foote?

I'd hate to see Farrior go, but he needs to have Aaron Smith's attitude about restructuring his contract. If not, it would be a big loss as far as leadership for the LBs, but performance-wise, I'm not sure we lose a whole lot with a much smaller contract in that position.

Foote may have to go if Farrior restructures.

Let's get Ward to restructure as well. He needs to realize he is the same boat as Smith and Farrior.

steelblood
07-30-2011, 02:42 PM
SMith restructured? i missed that.

steelerkeylargo
07-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Farrior?
Foote?

Just guessing or inside info????

They need to get under the cap. I think they are still looking to upgrade certain spots and will add new faces. If certain players don't restructure they will have to go. Who is expendable that is making $$$??

Lebsteel
07-30-2011, 02:50 PM
SMith restructured? i missed that.
From the Training Camp Diary thread:

Smith said he wouldn't have an issue being a backup to Hood or having his contract renegotiated to provide cap space, but he hasn't been approached about either at this point.

His attitude that he would be OK with restructuring is what I was saying Farrior needs to have as well as Ward.

insanesteelersfan
07-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Farrior will re-work his deal if asked. I imagine Foote would as well. Although I also think we can just cut him cause I like what I see out of Sylvester. As for Aaron Smith..he should NOT be restructuring his deal. He should have been outright released already. Paying him ANY sort of salary is just as stupid as it gets.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-30-2011, 03:12 PM
As for Aaron Smith..he should NOT be restructuring his deal. He should have been outright released already. Paying him ANY sort of salary is just as stupid as it gets.

Even if he's back to 100%?

fordfixer
07-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Farrior will re-work his deal if asked. I imagine Foote would as well. Although I also think we can just cut him cause I like what I see out of Sylvester. As for Aaron Smith..he should NOT be restructuring his deal. He should have been outright released already. Paying him ANY sort of salary is just as stupid as it gets.
:Blah :Blah :Blah :Blah

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2011, 04:02 PM

Why would they pay AARON SMITH to play DEFENSIVE END, when they could just have MIKE WALLACE play defensive end as well? MIKE WALLACE is not only the fastest wide receiver in league history, and better player than Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, and Andre Johnson combined (plus, he also attends TEAM MEETINGS too! Wow!), but MIKE WALLACE would also be able to force opposing offenses to DOUBLE TEAM him as a DEFENSIVE END, which would free up the LINEBACKERS to make plays. Why they haven't paid MIKE WALLACE more than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady combined yet is mind-boggling.

fordfixer
07-30-2011, 04:06 PM

Why would they pay AARON SMITH to play DEFENSIVE END, when they could just have MIKE WALLACE play defensive end as well? MIKE WALLACE is not only the fastest wide receiver in league history, and better player than Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, and Andre Johnson combined (plus, he also attends TEAM MEETINGS too! Wow!), but MIKE WALLACE would also be able to force opposing offenses to DOUBLE TEAM him as a DEFENSIVE END, which would free up the LINEBACKERS to make plays. Why they haven't paid MIKE WALLACE more than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady combined yet is mind-boggling.
I just had never thought about it in that way :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 04:15 PM

He'll be too busy playing center, QB and WR to mess around on the D side of the ball poopy head. Although I did hear he will be assistant D coordinator and coaching the LBs.

And yes, he will attend all meetings.

PSU_dropout43
07-30-2011, 05:03 PM
cut hines & farrior.

trade kemo to the falcons or the cardinals.

get'er done.

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2011, 05:04 PM
As for Aaron Smith..he should NOT be restructuring his deal. He should have been outright released already. Paying him ANY sort of salary is just as stupid as it gets.

I sure am glad you're not making personnel decisions for us, Aaron Smith is ready to rock! :tt2 :tt2

Aaron Smith - 'Ready to Rock'

Eason leaving for Pittsburgh West should end any questions about whether Aaron Smith will be a salary cap casualty.

Smith is due to make $4.5 million this season but the Steelers didnt approach him about taking a pay cut. That is a sign of how much Smith is valued by the organization as well as how healthy he is after partially torn triceps ended his 2010 season last October.

Hes healthy. I think hes ready to rock, said defensive end Brett Keisel, one of Smiths closest friends on the team. I know hes excited and has been working hard to get back out on the field and do what he does best, which is compete.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

Oviedo
07-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Restructure Ben and this all becomes easy. Make Smith, Hines and Farrior restructure for their last seasons with the Steelers.

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Over salary cap, Steelers may need to release more veterans

Saturday, July 30, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers, still way over the salary cap, may have to release more veterans if they are unable to use contract renegotiation tactics in order to come into compliance by the $120 million team salary maximum by Thursday, said Kevin Colbert, their director of football operations.

"We'll do some renegotiations,'' Colbert said, but warned that there "could be further terminations.''

The Steelers the past week released three veterans for salary cap purposes -- tackles Max Starks and Flozell Adams and wide receiver Antwaan Randle El.

Colbert said they will use the three separate $1 million exemptions on three players under contract, essentially raising the cap to slightly more than $123 million.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/11 ... z1TcdQTaMh (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/1164129-66.stm#ixzz1TcdQTaMh)

feltdizz
07-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Ben shouldn't have to restructure his deal. He is worth every penny we pay him.... Smith definitely needs to restructure. I don't have any faith in Keisels assessment of Smith. If his arm is 65% do you think anyone would reveal it given the cap situation?

Discipline of Steel
07-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Id say the Steelers front office know best his condition and they have not yet asked him for a pay cut, so i will go by that for now.

Chavezz
07-30-2011, 09:44 PM
All a ben restructure would entail is converting yearly salary to bonus. That bonus is then spread out over the length of the contract. The only negative is if its a player that declines during the last years of contract and when cut there is dead money that gets accelerated.

Its great for the player because its up front money. There doesn't seem to ne a negative for them at all.all

flippy
07-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Tough decisions for sure.

Steelers should be able to restructure contracts and make things work out. All depends on cash flow really.

fordfixer
07-31-2011, 02:19 AM
Steelers notes: Still over the cap
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steel ... 74b03.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-notes-still-over-the-cap/article_ea0d2056-18d5-5653-b950-4206b7c74b03.html)

Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 11:13 pm | Updated: 12:05 am, Sun Jul 31, 2011.

By Mike Bires

LATROBE -- Even by cutting three high-priced veterans, the Steelers are still over the salary cap.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert wouldn't say exactly how much the Steelers are over. But he said Saturday that "Currently, we're still trying to get in compliance with the cap."

By Thursday, the total of the Steelers' top 51 salaries can't exceed $123 million.

According to terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, the cap number is $120 million per team. But each team is allowed three $1 million exemptions -- one for three different players.

"So in essence the cap is $123 million," Colbert said.

Those three exemptions would be charged to the Steelers' salary cap in 2014. Colbert expects every NFL team to use their exemptions.

"We'll be doing some renegotiating to try to get in compliance," Colbert said. "There still could be some further terminations and there could be some new roster additions."

On Thursday and Friday, the Steelers saved $12.4 million worth of cap space by cutting tackles Max Starks ($5.4 million) and Flozell Adams ($5 million) and wide receiver Antwaan Randle El ($2 million.)

If the Steelers want to sign any free agents -- wide receiver Plaxico Burress, for example -- there would have to be more cuts.

"If we make some significant additions, there still could be some terminations that are required," Colbert said.

One of the players who may have his contract renegotiated is linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who was tagged earlier this year as the Steelers' franchise player. He signed a one-year contract worth $10 million. But if the Steelers sign Woodley to a new multi-year deal, his money would be spread out over the length of his contract. That way, Woodley would be paid less this year and thus give the Steelers some cap relief.

There's also a chance the Steelers could make more cuts, perhaps wide receiver Arnaz Battle, who's due to make $1.038 million for playing only on special teams.

Due to the cap restrictions, the Steelers haven't even begun negotiations for an extension for all-star safety Troy Polamalu, who's in the last year of his existing contract. Polamalu is due to make $6.4 million this year. As it stands right now, he's the third-highest paid player on the team.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has a base salary of $11.6 million. Woodley is due to make $10 million unless he gets a new long-term deal.

"Nothing so far," Polamalu said of any discussions with the Steelers. "I think the lockout changed the way the process works quite a bit."

Sepulveda signed

The Steelers agreed to terms with punter Dan Sepulveda.

An unrestricted free agent, Sepulveda reportedly visited with Houston on Saturday. But late Saturday night, he agreed to stay with the Steelers.

Sepulveda was taken by the Steelers in the fourth round of the 2007 draft. He missed two seasons -- 2008 and 2010 -- with knee injuries. The Steelers made it to the Super Bowl both years.

On Friday, the Steelers got all their 2011 draft choices in the fold by signing first-round pick Cameron Heyward, a defensive end out of Ohio State, and cornerback Curtis Brown, a third-round pick out of Texas.

Discipline of Steel
07-31-2011, 06:55 AM
Sepulveda signed

The Steelers agreed to terms with punter Dan Sepulveda.

An unrestricted free agent, Sepulveda reportedly visited with Houston on Saturday. But late Saturday night, he agreed to stay with the Steelers.

Sepulveda was taken by the Steelers in the fourth round of the 2007 draft. He missed two seasons -- 2008 and 2010 -- with knee injuries. The Steelers made it to the Super Bowl both years.

Interesting nugget nestled in at the end. Sep will have his opportunity to demonstrate recovery from the knee injurieS. Hopefully he will finally live up to his potential. Thank you for your contribution Mr. Kapinos.

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2011, 03:32 AM
posted by Dale Lolley:

Day off for Steelers

Monday, August 1

The Steelers get a day off today but that doesn't mean the front office isn't working.

In addition to working on contract extensions for strong safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker LaMarr Woodley, the Steelers are also looking to re-work quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's deal.

If some of those aren't finished by Wednesday, the team may have to do some more cutting to get under the salary cap by the Thursday deadline.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Getting back to the OP....cutting Farrior would be a surprise, cutting Foote would not be.

As to many of the rest of the posts on here, many seem to be using the terms restructure or renegotiate improperly.

Restructuring is a good thing for a player and the team in the current year. Asking Ben to restructure would mean that he gets a good chunk of his 2011 salary today as "bonus" instead of "salary" - say about $8M of his $11.60. Ben is signed through 2015, so that bonus is spread out over 5 years. $1.6M of that $8M counts towards this year's cap and the remaining $6.4M is spread out as $1.6M a year over the remainder of the contract. With a restructure you have to identify the right players and target those players who you expect to be around for most or all of their contract.

Cap savings to us of $6.4M this year - Ben gets a nice fat check for $8M on the spot instead of throughout the season - The Steelers have increased their commitment to him over the lifetime of his deal because the added bonus makes it more expensive to cut him in future years. Win, win.

With a player like Smith or Flozell (had they done this instead of releasing him) they simply ask him to accept a lower salary. A bit of a humiliation for an athlete in a business where your worth is measured by the money you make, but usually coming with the idea that the player is no longer worth his salary and would otherwise be cut....but we still would like you to be here.

Then there is cap relief that comes from an extension. Troy or Woodley would fall into this category - especially Woodley who is sitting on a 1 year - $10M franchise tag deal right now. In that case you can even give him a deal in the 5 year, $50M range that would still save us in the $5M range for '11.

In reality, two strokes of a pen gets them another $10M+ off the cap - Ben and Woodley. We might not be able to chase after any more big tickets, but we are not in a position that we must start slashing either.

feltdizz
08-01-2011, 09:30 AM
All a ben restructure would entail is converting yearly salary to bonus. That bonus is then spread out over the length of the contract. The only negative is if its a player that declines during the last years of contract and when cut there is dead money that gets accelerated.

Its great for the player because its up front money. There doesn't seem to ne a negative for them at all.all

:Cheers