PDA

View Full Version : QB Dixon Not at Camp; Still Could Leave

fordfixer
07-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Ed: QB Dixon Not at Camp; Still Could Leave
Saturday, 30 July 2011 08:47
Written by Ed Bouchette
https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/ind ... Itemid=108 (https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_signup&view=register&Itemid=108)

Good morning,

Quarterback Dennis Dixon did not show up to sign his tender last night and remains a restricted free agent. Any other team still can sign him and he would cost them only a fifth-round draft choice, although the Steelers could match any deal he signed and keep him.

It's possible that could happen, but not likely. Dixon cannot practice until Thursday no matter what, so if another team would sign him – presumably to be their No. 2 quarterback – he would be unavailable to them for the next five days.

So why hasn't he signed with the Steelers yet? Because he has nothing to lose. He cannot practice with the Steelers either until next Thursday and the team is running such a basic offense right now because of the missed spring practices that Dixon would learn nothing – all he could do if he did sign was attend their meetings.

He might as well wait at home for the next five days in the off chance that an injury or something else could hit a team and it might offer him a better deal out of the blue. Dixon isn't concerned so much about money; he wants an opportunity and as long as 29-year-old Ben Roethlisberger remains healthy, Dixon, just three years younger, isn't going to get it with the Steelers, where he likely be stuck at No. 3 this season behind Byron Leftwich.

Dixon started the first two games of last season and the Steelers won them both. Without him, they might not have won the AFC North Division. He was frustrated that they put him on injured reserve with a knee injury that healed about three weeks later but it was a way for them to keep Charlie Batch.

Batch now is in danger of not making it again with Leftwich and Dixon healthy.

Onto some stuff:

--- The Steelers signed rookie quarterback Chris Dieker on Tuesday because they did not know until Monday that Dixon and all the other free agents could not practice until Aug. 4 even if they signed contracts. Have I called that a stupid rule?

--- With practices now being so precious, the loss of nearly half of the first practice of training camp had to frustrate Mike Tomlin and the Steelers. It's why Tomlin brought his team back onto the field even though it was apparent that the big, black cloud headed right toward them would chase them back off on Friday. Supposed to be good weather in the Latrobe area today.

--- The good fathers of what is called Unity Township, a township that surrounds Latrobe, must have gone on a public releations kick with the news media. The Steelers have held their training camp at Saint Vincent College for 46 summers now and it's always been referred to as Latrobe, Pa. Now the wording in many cases is changed to “Unity Township, near Latrobe.'' Send a letter to a student at Saint Vincent College or, right now, your favorite Steeler and you better mail it to Latrobe, Pa. And not Unity Township, Pa., if you expect to get it delivered on time.

--- The fog is so thick this morning that you cannot see the buildings across the fields at 300 Fraser Purchase Road, Latrobe, Pa. However, it's supposed to be a day in which Mike Tomlin should be able to get in both his morning walk-through and his afternoon practice. Normally, he would practice the first 12 days or so of camp but in the new CBA, players must have a full day off every seven days. That's why they have off Monday. They traditionally would return Monday night for meetings but the new CBA won't allow for that and they must have the full day off. Wonder how many days they consumed during negotiations debating that one.

--- Don't read into the fact the Kyle Jolly and Chris Scott were the starting tackles yesterday other than those were the two most readily available. Tony Hills, a fourth-year tackle, is also a restricted free agent who cannot practice. Rookie Marcus Gilbert was working at left tackle, where they hope he ultimately will start.

--- Jonathan Scott will open the season as the Steelers starting left tackle, barring injuries. There really is no other plan, although Max Starks remains an outside possibility of being re-signed.

--- Still no signs of Tiki Barber. You'd think they'd like to get him in here so at least he can attend meetings and start learning their offense. No?

--- I wrote this morning that Cam Heyward's contract was $6.7 million over four years with $3.3 million in guarantees. It should be $3.3 million as a SIGNING BONUS. It's $5.3 million in guaranteed money.

--- YOU: Glad to have you and football back. It's a winning combination. I've been busy the past week, catching up on your stuff now. I see fans haven't changed (I'm one and I have my moments.) Already the angst has started. We expected the Steelers to sign the top free agents available even though there was no chance of it happening. BenR will get killed behind this offensive line. The CB situation is dire. You know the drill. Yet the Steelers lost the SB by six points. This after the offensive line was decimated. Aaron Smith out. TroyP playing on what appeared to be one and a half legs. And I don't know if Harrison had back trouble during the season, but two surgeries can't be good.

Though one can never predict injury, my thinking is that the Steelers should be considered in the mix if the team is reasonably healthy. Of course other teams have made themselves better. But so too are the Steelers simply by being healthier. They remain, in my opinion, within the "window."

Again, good to have you back. I'm heading out to the garden now to pick vegetables in an attempt to avoid being baked by this Maryland heat.

ME: Some Steelers fans not only have short term memory loss but like to think there really is no salary cap for their team.

--- YOU: The Ravens cut some key players on their team are you hearing any news about who they might sign in free agency and when do the Steelers start to look to next season and resign Wallace, Timmons, and Troy. Oh and I have always wondered do you like the title that Stan Savran has given you as the "Dean" of Steelers football?

ME: Trying to keep up with the Steelers and all that has happened the past week has prevented me from analyzing the Ravens' situation. I suppose there are other names Stan could call me, so I'll put up with that one.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Dixon should not be back. BL and Batch as the back-ups and dieker placed on the practice squad.....or Batch waived and Dieker runs as the third.

grotonsteel
07-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Dixon should not be back. BL and Batch as the back-ups and dieker placed on the practice squad.....or Batch waived and Dieker runs as the third.

:Agree

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't get the Dixon hate. I'd still like to see Ben-Byron-Dennis as my top 3 QB's. Old man Batch could be called off the street if injuries struck any of those three. If the UDFA kid shows promise, stash him on the P.S. and if not, cut him loose.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't get the Dixon hate. I'd still like to see Ben-Byron-Dennis as my top 3 QB's. Old man Batch could be called off the street if injuries struck any of those three. If the UDFA kid shows promise, stash him on the P.S. and if not, cut him loose.
Well, I look at it like this.

Dixon...we know what we have and it is not a starter or solid back-up in the making. No reason to keep dead weight around.

Dieker has a lot of the same tools Ben has and, although untested, is already a better option than a guy we know will never crack the starting roll.

steelblood
07-30-2011, 02:38 PM
dixon has potential still. he's never gotten many reps and only has 3 starts under his belt. No, he doesn't look like a star. But, he has a live arm and great athleticism. Given time and reps, he has the intelligence to develop into a great backup.

Maybe no one remembers the pre-Ben QBs any more. Most young QBs don't come in and have immediate success. Even our own Terry Bradshaw was terrible for YEARS. He fumbled all over the place and gave games away. Dixon has shown his lack of experience, but he has also made a few plays and been close on others.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
dixon has potential still. he's never gotten many reps and only has 3 starts under his belt. No, he doesn't look like a star. But, he has a live arm and great athleticism. Given time and reps, he has the intelligence to develop into a great backup.

Maybe no one remembers the pre-Ben QBs any more. Most young QBs don't come in and have immediate success. Even our own Terry Bradshaw was terrible for YEARS. He fumbled all over the place and gave games away. Dixon has shown his lack of experience, but he has also made a few plays and been close on others.
I remember them......but name me the last "athletic" QB to do crap. We had Kordell. There is Vick...good for half a season I guess....Young....nothing.....McNabb....folded like a cheap tent in a wind-storm when the pressure was on....Russell....million dollar arm, ten cent head.......and the list goes on.

You either have the ability, or you don't. Simple as that.

**By athletic I mean those that tend to look to take off and not sit back and read a D or scramble behind the LOS while looking down-field to make something happen. I say this because some bone-head will bring up Ben, Elway, Steve Young to try to argue a dead point.

steelblood
07-30-2011, 05:09 PM

I remember them......but name me the last "athletic" QB to do crap. We had Kordell. There is Vick...good for half a season I guess....Young....nothing.....McNabb....folded like a cheap tent in a wind-storm when the pressure was on....Russell....million dollar arm, ten cent head.......and the list goes on.

You either have the ability, or you don't. Simple as that.

**By athletic I mean those that tend to look to take off and not sit back and read a D or scramble behind the LOS while looking down-field to make something happen. I say this because some bone-head will bring up Ben, Elway, Steve Young to try to argue a dead point.

First, I said that he has the potential to develop into "a great backup" not that I expected him to be a hall of famer. Don't even try to hold me to an argument I never entered. If Dixon developed into a Michael Vick type QB, that would be fantastic.

Second, who said that Dixon will always scramble first and never learn to read a defense? You opened the Steve Young door. Young ALWAYS scrambled first in Tampa Bay and often did in his first years in San Fran. He learned to keep his eyes downfield because he had a world class coach teach him to play correctly. He also played for a dynasty of a team.

Third, Randall Cunningham was a fantastic athletic QB. Andy Reid is turning Michael Vick into a fantastic athletic QB as well. No, an African American QB who is a good scrambler hasn't won the Super Bowl yet. But, it is likely just a matter of time. That is not a reason to cut Dixon. But, it does smack of racism.

Fourth, "you have the ability or you don't." Ok. Who says Dixon doesn't have ability? All the kid needs is reps and a chance to master the mental side. It may come or it may not. But, QBs do develop. It is not simply a matter of being born with QB skills. You obviously did not watch Terry Bradshaw early in his career. He looked like he didn't have anything near what it would take to be an NFL QB even after a few seasons of starting. But, after time, the athletic, strong armed, scramble first, QB began to develop into a more cerebral, pocket passer

Fifth, expecting me to have a discussion with you based on your myopic view of "athletic" quarterbacks is pushy and closed-minded. For example, I don't know why you include McNabb in your group of QBs who scramble first. McNabb is a pocket passer, not a scrambler.

Finally, I understand your point (even with all of the strange arguments and caveats). Dixon needs be able to read a defense. I agree. But, he can learn. He is a smart kid. But, your idea that you have it or you don't is simply wrong. Most good and great QBs need to learn to read defenses and don't have immediate success doing so in the NFL.

Oviedo
07-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Let Dixon just go away. He is a dime a dozen career back up in the NFL.

hawaiiansteel
07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Dennis Dixon unsigned with Steelers, wants a chance to start

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 31, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/steelers-dennis-dixon-2jpg-5bde00229dffcded_large-thumb-250x200-18267.jpg?w=250

Quarterback Dennis Dixon isn’t in camp with the Steelers and doesn’t want to sign his one-year tender offer as a restricted free agent because he wants to go to a team that will give him a chance to start.

The Steelers put a fifth-round tender on Dixon, which means that he’s free to sign with another team, and if he does the Steelers would have the right to match the offer or get that team’s fifth-round pick in next year’s draft. But so far, no team has signed Dixon to an offer sheet.

Dixon could sign the tender and report to the Steelers, but Dixon’s agent, Jeff Sperbeck, says he doesn’t want to do that. Dixon wants to be with a team that will let him compete for playing time, and in Pittsburgh, he has no chance of unseating Ben Roethlisberger.

“Dennis would love the opportunity to start,” Sperbeck told ESPN.com. “Yes, we would look forward to an opportunity for a trade — it’s a starting opportunity we’re looking for.”

Dixon started the first two games of last season when Roethlisberger was suspended, so teams around the league have seen what he can do. He’s still raw as a passer, but he’s a talented athlete, and it’s a little surprising that no team thinks he’s worth a fifth-round pick.

But given that no team does think Dixon is worth a fifth-round pick, he’d probably be better off signing the tender and getting back to work. It’s better for a developing young player to be in training camp as a backup than not in camp at all.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -to-start/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/31/dennis-dixon-unsigned-with-steelers-wants-a-chance-to-start/)

Oviedo
07-31-2011, 03:25 PM

Dixon...we know what we have and it is not a starter or solid back-up in the making. No reason to keep dead weight around.

Dieker has a lot of the same tools Ben has and, although untested, is already a better option than a guy we know will never crack the starting roll.

:Agree Don't pay more for what you know isn't your future. Dixon will want more than he had last year and no way would I pay. If he took a pay cut maybe. He is a vet minimum guy and that pretty much will sum up his career.

RuthlessBurgher
07-31-2011, 10:31 PM

Great! Now I'm feeling even better about my pro-Dixon post earlier. Judging by a strong history of pro-Urbik, anti-Redman, and pro-Burnett posts, I'm starting to get a feeling that whenever Oviedo orders tuna on toast, cole slaw, and cup of coffee, it's probably good for me that I ordered chicken salad on rye, untoasted, with a side of potato salad and a cup of tea. :wink:

Djfan
07-31-2011, 10:40 PM

Great! Now I'm feeling even better about my pro-Dixon post earlier. Judging by a strong history of pro-Urbik, anti-Redman, and pro-Burnett posts, I'm starting to get a feeling that whenever Oviedo orders tuna on toast, cole slaw, and cup of coffee, it's probably good for me that I ordered chicken salad on rye, untoasted, with a side of potato salad and a cup of tea. :wink:

Great. Now I'm hungry.

Actually, even with Ovi's slumping reputation around here (insert sarcasm here), he is right. DD is only a starter in the Seattle / Cincy kind of football.

But, the biggest problem with him is that he will forever be behind Lefty. We can get better of cheaper while Ben is still in his prime. Ben has a long time left in the Black & Gold still. DD's hopes of being a starter will never come to reality in this organization.

Heck, with the new Goodell panzy league rules, Ben has about 14 more years of football. He's might to out do Favre!! Too bad the rule changes only apply to Marsha, Peyton and Drew!

Chadman
07-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Ben & Lefty are one of, if not THE best 1/2 QB tandem in the NFL. Dixon would have to be a better starting option the Lefty to even move up to #2, which he really is not, at this point.

Dixon has talent. It's not better than what is currently above him on the roster though. for his sake, it's probably better for him to move on to a Seattle where he may get a shot at starting.

He'll never oust Ben, and may not oust Lefty, so let him go & find the cheap developmental QB to be #3, or keep Batch to be Ben's other set of eyes on the sideline.

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2011, 03:28 AM
posted by Dale Lolley:

© So Dennis Dixon wants to go somewhere he can be a starter.

I thought all his college eligibility was used up.

Dixon didn't come close to showing enough last season for any NFL team to think he's capable of being its starter.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

ikestops85
08-01-2011, 08:17 PM

:Agree Don't pay more for what you know isn't your future. Dixon will want more than he had last year and no way would I pay. If he took a pay cut maybe. He is a vet minimum guy and that pretty much will sum up his career.

Wow, we get to see a guy for 2 games and we know he's a bust. :roll: I bet Drew Brees is glad he never played for Pittsburgh.