PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Publicly Apologizes to Goodell

Oviedo
07-29-2011, 12:18 PM
James Harrison regrets ripping Goodell By James Walker
LATROBE, Pa. -- Upon reflection, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison decided it was best to publicly apologize to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

“ The interview that I did and the comments that I made about Roger Goodell were inappropriate, at the least. They were way out of line, and I was speaking out of anger and frustration at the time. ”

In an explosive interview with Men's Journal that was reported on earlier this month, Harrison called Goodell a "crook" and a "puppet," among other things. Following the Steelers' walk-through Friday morning, Harrison said candidly that he should not have made those controversial statements.

"The interview that I did and the comments that I made about Roger Goodell were inappropriate, at the least," Harrison said. "They were way out of line, and I was speaking out of anger and frustration at the time. Any comments that I made that offended anyone, I apologize."

Last year Harrison was the most-fined player in the NFL, as the league began cracking down on hits to the head and to defenseless players. Harrison became highly upset at Goodell after his fines totaled $100,000, leading to several controversial statements and, eventually, the tirade that appeared in Men's Journal.

Harrison said he hasn't spoken to the NFL or to Goodell about his statements, and he's not sure if it will result in any type of fine or suspension. But Harrison has talked with teammates, coach Mike Tomlin and Steelers president Art Rooney II about the interview, in which he also criticized teammates Ben Roethlisberger and running back Rashard Mendenhall.

Harrison did not seemed nearly as concerned about those comments and said that situation has been handled in-house.

"That's all behind us," he said Friday. "Those comments [toward teammates] were taken out of context with a long conversation. It's not anything I haven't talked to those guys about or my teammates about."

On Thursday, Rooney told ESPN's Rachel Nichols that he has had a conversation with Harrison about the comments, and that any disciplinary action the team takes will be internal and will not result in any suspensions or the disruption of Harrison's on-field activities.

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com. You can follow him on Twitter at espnafc_north

flippy
07-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Rooney clearly fears Harrison too :P

The reaction to Harrison is total BS. We lose all sensibility in America when we react to athletes. We place too high expectations on these guys.

They aren't saints or even role models. We ask them to embrace violence on the field and then hold them to higher standards off the field than we hold priests.

We're insane for expecting better.

Sugar
07-29-2011, 01:16 PM

The reaction to Harrison is total BS. We lose all sensibility in America when we react to athletes. We place too high expectations on these guys.

They aren't saints or even role models. We ask them to embrace violence on the field and then hold them to higher standards off the field than we hold priests.

:Agree

Why anybody cares what an athlete or actor says about anything in the real world is beyond me.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
07-29-2011, 01:49 PM
The media is incredable! They way overblow every little thing. Especially when you have been successful.

Harrison barely said anything about Ben and Mendy that couldn't have been cleared up with a "dude I didn't mean anything buy it, Sorry".

And with Godell...probably went a little overboard but the man is a dictator.

Flasteel
07-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Why anybody cares what an athlete or actor says about anything in the real world is beyond me.

I agree in essence with what you are both saying, but I see things a little differently. No matter what you do in life, you are always representing someone else. Whether it's the parents who raise you, the friends you associate with, or the organization that employs you - there is a standard expected of you. In this particular case, Harrison's comments reflected poorly on not just those folks, but the entire Steeler Nation. That's cool if you don't believe JH represents you in any way, but he certainly represents the team that all of us rabidly represent every Sunday. Stained by association.

As far as being a role model, the "Charles Barkley" position has long been justly critized. Whether we like it or not, athletes and public figures are role models. Kids and even adults (mistakenly) hold these individuals in some sense of esteem. Every time one of these celebrities crash and burn, it slowly but surely pushes the accepted norms of our society in the wrong direction. Don't forget that we are all role models. There are constantly little eyes and ears watching our every move and we have to be cognizant of our environment and actions to set the example of how we want them to act. When millions of little eyes and ears are on you, the impact of your actions can be profound. Anyone in the public eye, should be held to higher standards, regardless if they play a violent sport for a living or not.

I know I've been guilty of letting my emotions trigger comments which I later regret...so in that sense, most of us shouldn't be throwing any stones at Harrison. The only thing you can do after a situation like this is apologize, move on, and learn not to do it again. The public apology for the public comments at least helped push the societal norm back ever-so-slightly towards civitlity. In my book, Harrison still owes personal apologies to the commisioner, his teammates, the fans (especially kids), and his parents. If those things come to fruition, then I applaud him for doing what an honorable man should do.

You always represent! :tt2

JTP53609
07-29-2011, 02:25 PM

I dont know, it seems that everyone cares about what athletes do and say, they are treated like royalty and I have seen grown men act like children when they meet a Steeler. I too think it is pathetic because these guys are nothing more than entertainment, their opinions mean nothing to the real world, and I often want them to keep their mouth shut and enjoy the millions of dollars they have because of special gift.

Sugar
07-29-2011, 02:37 PM

I dont know, it seems that everyone cares about what athletes do and say, they are treated like royalty and I have seen grown men act like children when they meet a Steeler. I too think it is pathetic because these guys are nothing more than entertainment, their opinions mean nothing to the real world, and I often want them to keep their mouth shut and enjoy the millions of dollars they have because of special gift.

See, I don't think they should have to keep their mouth shut. It's just that I don't think anyone should really care if they do or don't.

flippy
07-29-2011, 02:39 PM

I agree in essence with what you are both saying, but I see things a little differently. No matter what you do in life, you are always representing someone else. Whether it's the parents who raise you, the friends you associate with, or the organization that employs you - there is a standard expected of you. In this particular case, Harrison's comments reflected poorly on not just those folks, but the entire Steeler Nation. That's cool if you don't believe JH represents you in any way, but he certainly represents the team that all of us rabidly represent every Sunday. Stained by association.

As far as being a role model, the "Charles Barkley" position has long been justly critized. Whether we like it or not, athletes and public figures are role models. Kids and even adults (mistakenly) hold these individuals in some sense of esteem. Every time one of these celebrities crash and burn, it slowly but surely pushes the accepted norms of our society in the wrong direction. Don't forget that we are all role models. There are constantly little eyes and ears watching our every move and we have to be cognizant of our environment and actions to set the example of how we want them to act. When millions of little eyes and ears are on you, the impact of your actions can be profound. Anyone in the public eye, should be held to higher standards, regardless if they play a violent sport for a living or not.

I know I've been guilty of letting my emotions trigger comments which I later regret...so in that sense, most of us shouldn't be throwing any stones at Harrison. The only thing you can do after a situation like this is apologize, move on, and learn not to do it again. The public apology for the public comments at least helped push the societal norm back ever-so-slightly towards civitlity. In my book, Harrison still owes personal apologies to the commisioner, his teammates, the fans (especially kids), and his parents. If those things come to fruition, then I applaud him for doing what an honorable man should do.

You always represent! :tt2

I guess the way I look at it, our collective thinking is kinda screwed up. Is it better for us to put on a front and act well mannered or for us to be truthful?

The truth has been conditioned out of most of us. And I always prefer truth over bs.

I may not like when someone points out that I'm a jackarse. But at the same time, I'm always open to hearing it and appreciate anyone that's willing to say it. It takes courage to speak truth without fear of consequences.

The internet is kinda cool. People can be anonymous and spit of truth without consequences. It's kinda cool that you can get to the core of what people really think. I like that.

A good example of our collective screwed up thinking is Facebook and Google want to require people to register with their real names and remove anonymity from the internet. They want to bring the same civility we have in the real world online.

It's a shame because people will put on a phony front and will not share how they really feel because of the fear of consequences.

There's lots of taboos where people won't be open in real life, but will share anything when they think they are anonymous. A minor simple example is salaries. 30 years ago, no one knew how much anyone made for a living. Nowadays you can look up information on any position you may want to seek as a career to get a good sense about what kind of salary you could expect.

The internet is proof that truth is better than civility. And by no means am I endorsing being a jackarse. I have respect for people, heck even more than most. I have no interest in concerning myself with people's flaws and tend to look for the positives and good in everyone - just my nature.

But if we could take away some of the bs fronts we put up, I think the world would be better. The internet has shown us what happens when those false fronts are removed. And we learn a whole lot more about one another we'd never know.

I'm off on a tangent :) But to tie it back to Harrison, he clearly doesn't put up the front. And it's probably cause he doesn't know any better. I appreciate the innocence in that. And I think we should let adults get away with stuff just like we do kids.

If we thought of each other as children and believed in the core innocence of one another, we wouldn't collectively get bent out of shape over these things. And we could all speak our minds more freely.

And I dont know about you, but what I think changes moment to moment. I don't even know if I agree with this bs that I just typed.

We all say a bunch of crap we don't mean. And we don't say a lot of stuff we do really think. And we all put too much into what others say.

At the end of the day, who cares? James is James. I'm me. You're you. And anyone that wants to think any one of us represents the other in some way is nuts.

To think James represents the Steelers and Steeler fans is kinda racist/sexist/Steelerist whatever you want to call it. It's crazy thinking to think one person represents a group when we're all individuals.

It's like saying all the Ravens or Bengals are criminals. Obviously they aren't. But we poke fun at the and say they are. But we know it's not really true. But there are always some that will take it too far.

I guess people are funny. They have a need to belong to a group. But then at the same time they want to be treated as individuals. It's hard to walk the line between those 2.

And that's why people can't be honest.

WHat am I talking about again :)

JTP53609
07-29-2011, 02:49 PM
I see what your saying and I agree, unfortunately there are people out there who cannot make a decision on their own and they go off of what an athlete does, pretty stupid..

Flasteel
07-29-2011, 02:53 PM
I guess the way I look at it, our collective thinking is kinda screwed up. Is it better for us to put on a front and act well mannered or for us to be truthful?

The truth has been conditioned out of most of us. And I always prefer truth over bs.

I may not like when someone points out that I'm a jackarse. But at the same time, I'm always open to hearing it and appreciate anyone that's willing to say it. It takes courage to speak truth without fear of consequences.

The internet is kinda cool. People can be anonymous and spit of truth without consequences. It's kinda cool that you can get to the core of what people really think. I like that.

A good example of our collective screwed up thinking is Facebook and Google want to require people to register with their real names and remove anonymity from the internet. They want to bring the same civility we have in the real world online.

It's a shame because people will put on a phony front and will not share how they really feel because of the fear of consequences.

There's lots of taboos where people won't be open in real life, but will share anything when they think they are anonymous. A minor simple example is salaries. 30 years ago, no one knew how much anyone made for a living. Nowadays you can look up information on any position you may want to seek as a career to get a good sense about what kind of salary you could expect.

The internet is proof that truth is better than civility. And by no means am I endorsing being a jackarse. I have respect for people, heck even more than most. I have no interest in concerning myself with people's flaws and tend to look for the positives and good in everyone - just my nature.

But if we could take away some of the bs fronts we put up, I think the world would be better. The internet has shown us what happens when those false fronts are removed. And we learn a whole lot more about one another we'd never know.

I'm off on a tangent :) But to tie it back to Harrison, he clearly doesn't put up the front. And it's probably cause he doesn't know any better. I appreciate the innocence in that. And I think we should let adults get away with stuff just like we do kids.

If we thought of each other as children and believed in the core innocence of one another, we wouldn't collectively get bent out of shape over these things. And we could all speak our minds more freely.

And I dont know about you, but what I think changes moment to moment. I don't even know if I agree with this bs that I just typed.

We all say a bunch of crap we don't mean. And we don't say a lot of stuff we do really think. And we all put too much into what others say.

At the end of the day, who cares? James is James. I'm me. You're you. And anyone that wants to think any one of us represents the other in some way is nuts.

To think James represents the Steelers and Steeler fans is kinda racist/sexist/Steelerist whatever you want to call it. It's crazy thinking to think one person represents a group when we're all individuals.

It's like saying all the Ravens or Bengals are criminals. Obviously they aren't. But we poke fun at the and say they are. But we know it's not really true. But there are always some that will take it too far.

I guess people are funny. They have a need to belong to a group. But then at the same time they want to be treated as individuals. It's hard to walk the line between those 2.

And that's why people can't be honest.

WHat am I talking about again :)

Priceless rant Flip. :D

I don't see how the truth and civility are mutually exclusive concepts however. An educated and righteous man can convey myriad emotions and meaning and still stay civil.

I wish I was that man more often. :D

flippy
07-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Priceless rant Flip. :D

I don't see how the truth and civility are mutually exclusive concepts however. An educated and righteous man can convey myriad emotions and meaning and still stay civil.

I wish I was that man more often. :D

Truth and civility aren't mutually exclusive from a theoretical point of view. But in reality they pull against one another in opposite directions.

It's like the classic way we're taught to fire someone or break up with someone. Say 2 nice things before you deliver the harsh truth. It's complete BS. It's disingenuous. But it's civil. And it softens the blow. But it assumes people are too fragile to handle the truth.

Being civil pulls us toward sugar coating the truth. Toward concealing harsh realities. Like if someone packs on a few pounds, the civil thing to do if you care about someone is to dance around the topic. And talk about your own dieting. Or some BS like that to avoid the reality of the situation. While a doctor would tell that person the truth - "You're obese and you're gonna die."

We end up telling people what we think they want to hear. That's civil. And we may have good intentions. And in theory be civil and tell the truth. That's a great aspiration.

But in reality I just don't see it happening very often. And we've become fragile as a result and can't take getting a B on a paper. We need constant positive reinforcement. And it's a negative feedback loop where people try to please one another over being honest.

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Steelers: Harrison, teammates moving on

Saturday, July 30, 2011
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Like a blocking scheme designed to protect the quarterbacks he chases for a living, James Harrison was surrounded by a horde of reporters Friday morning as he walked off the practice field on the first day of training camp. With nowhere to go, Harrison stopped and addressed a Men's Journal article that has embroiled him in controversy for the past three weeks.

The magazine published a story that included inflammatory quotes from Harrison on NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and teammates Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall.

"Obviously, you all want to talk about something," Harrison said after a morning walk-through at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe. "I'll just start off by saying that my interview that I did and the comments I made about Roger Goodell were inappropriate at the least and way out of line. I was speaking out of anger and frustration at the time. Any comments that I may have made that offended anyone with my careless use of words, I apologize."

Harrison called Goodell a "crook," "puppet," a "devil" and a slang word for a gay person in the article that was published July 13. Harrison previously apologized for the comments in a statement released by his agent. Friday was the first time he spoke publicly on the matter.

Harrison said he has spoken with Steelers president Art Rooney II about the article, but he did not know whether the Steelers would discipline him in any way.

Harrison, the 2008 NFL defensive player of the year, said he has not spoken with Goodell since the article came out. He did not believe the commissioner, who fined him $100,000 last season, would attempt to dole out discipline to him.

"We'll find out," Harrison said. "I don't think he's a guy who will hold something on a personal level. I attacked him on a personal level, which wasn't right. But I don't expect anything to be done."

The issue of discipline from the commissioner for any off-field incidents during the lockout is a big issue for NFL players. Charlie Batch, who is on the NFLPA executive committee, was adamant about players not being subject to discipline from the commissioner for any acts that took place during the lockout. The NFLPA's stance is that players were unemployed during the lockout.

"We were locked out," Batch said. "We didn't choose to be locked out."

But the rules on discipline have to be negotiated as part of the new collective bargaining agreement once the NFLPA recertifies as a union, and there is a chance Goodell could attempt to discipline Harrison and others for events that took place during the lockout.

When asked if he would fight any potential disciplinary action from the commissioner, Harrison said: "If it got to that level, I'd make a decision then."

Harrison also criticized Roethlisberger and Mendenhall for their play in Super Bowl XLV. He said Roethlisberger should "stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man, you just get paid like does." He also called Mendenhall a "fumble machine."

Roethlisberger said there are no hard feelings with Harrison.

"None at all," Roethlisberger said. "I'm seeing some of the stuff where people think we're putting on a front. He called me that morning and left me a voicemail and told me to call him because he said I was sure he would want to talk to me. I had no idea what he was talking about. He called me and explained everything and it was literally nothing. There is absolutely no lingering effects. We are just as good of friends as we were before, if not better actually."

Roethlisberger said Harrison has the same type of persona on and off the field.

"He plays the game with a passion that we all recognize," Roethlisberger said. "We all know he plays the game to a different level than most people. That's what makes him special. Off the field, he's the same sort of emotional guy. That's just who James is. That's why it had no ill effects on me."

Mendenhall also said his relationship with Harrison is fine.

"I don't really follow media stories," Mendenhall said. "That's my guy. That's my teammate."

Harrison expects no issues with any of his teammates either.

"They're fine with it," he said. "They understand me. I understand them. I'm here to play ball and roll on from there."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/11 ... z1TccEMcae

fordfixer
07-31-2011, 02:10 AM
James Harrison, Ben Roethlisberger yuk it up at camp
Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2011, 11:49 PM EDT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... mp/related (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/james-harrison-ben-roethlisberger-yuk-it-up-at-camp/related)

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/281636_252689828092297_175590849135529_1015164_742 1734_n-e1312084040239.jpg?w=250

A week after Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger walked down the aisle with his bride, Roethlisberger and teammate James Harrison walked hand-in-hand, laughing, at training camp.

Harrison posted a photo of the moment on his Facebook page, and he linked to it on his Twitter page.

Earlier this month, Men’s Journal published an interview in which Harrison called out Roethlisberger for his performance in the Steelers’ loss to the Packers in the Super Bowl. “Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again,” Harrison said. “Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain’t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.”

Harrison reportedly reached out to Roethlisberger and claimed that his words were twisted, a theme that hasn’t really surfaced in Harrison’s subsequent apologies. But Roethlisberger doesn’t seem to be upset. Or if he is, he’s not showing it.

Discipline of Steel
07-31-2011, 06:46 AM
Interesting timing that the 'apology' came out a few days after the team had access to him. I believe the Steelers handled this internally and a public renounciation (word?) of the article was part of the required responses from James Harrison.

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Madden: It's business as usual for Steelers, NFL

Tue Aug 2, 2011

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/70/8709daa6-da5d-56d3-8e3b-071469d1be80/4e37292951762.preview-300.jpg

Steelers Troy Polamalu and Bryant McFadden take a knee between plays during training camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe Sunday.

Speaking of James Harrison, anybody buy that apology? I bet NFL commissioner Roger Goodell didn’t, but might act like he did. Still, Harrison has to pay the price for his homophobic slur. The apology might decrease that price.

The Steelers are doing an admirable job reshuffling to meet the NFL’s salary cap. Their offensive line morphed into a respectable unit, especially if left tackle Jonathan Scott justifies their belief. Max Starks was fat and expensive. Flozell Adams, 36, didn’t want to be a backup. Willie Colon is a premier right tackle when healthy. Dominoes fell.

Don’t be shocked when Doug Legursky wins one of the starting guard spots. Legursky impressed all the right people by excelling in Maurkice Pouncey’s absence during the AFC championship game and Super Bowl.

The cap forces teams to pick their weaknesses. Can’t be deep everywhere.

Contrary to popular opinion, the Steelers should be worried about receiver. Maybe they are, given their aborted attempt to sign ex-con/ex-Steeler Plaxico Burress.

Hines Ward, 35, is coming off an injury-riddled, career-worst season. As a group, the receivers are puny: None above 6 feet. Only Ward has more than two seasons in the NFL. (Arnaz Battle had zero receptions last year. He doesn’t count.)

For Ward, the end will come in the wink of an eye. Why not now? It would be nice to think Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown will expand upon solid rookie seasons. But there are no guarantees. Only Mike Wallace seems a sure bet among the Steelers’ pass-catchers.

Blind faith at left tackle, uncertainty at receiver - the Steelers, as usual, will not put Ben Roethlisberger in optimum position to succeed.

As usual, Roethlisberger will succeed anyway.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6?p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/s ... 4a3b1.html (http://www.timesonline.com/columnists/sports/mark_madden/madden-it-s-business-as-usual-for-steelers-nfl/article_816f06b6-90ec-59a9-a2bf-8d768734a3b1.html)

kiwi_sarah
08-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Harrison Summarizer: "I'd like to be able to cash some of my pay checks this season."