PDA

View Full Version : Jets with Revis and Asomugha, good idea?

aggiebones
07-29-2011, 11:50 AM
OK is this a great move or what?

I'm thinking What.

They will eliminate passing to outside WRs completely, but what else can they do? Their DL is getting old or already old and some are gone.

What will we do when we play them? Have our WRs block down hard on safeties and force their CBs to tackle, ALL GAME LONG. They saw what we did to them last year. David Harris still has an indention in his chest. I guess this is a move to surpass Brady and Manning. While I think Indy is in trouble, NE is smart enough to expose their weakness.

They will have no money after spending on Asomugha, Revis and Holmes to fix any of the glaring problems. Their OL is solid, QB is braindead and they have 1 WR. Is LT still there I guess.

Gotta say that will be a fun division to watch. That's a few playoff spots. Raves and Steelers walk into the playoffs. Indy and Houston claw for 1 spot as will Chiefs/Chargers.

LouSteel
07-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Terrible idea.

My prediction: If you want to see a strong D, watch this year's Lions team. They get it. Avril, Vanden-Bosch, Suh, and Fairley? That's a line to be reckoned with.

A strong pass rush can cover up a weak secondary. But all the corners and safeties in the world won't cover up a weak defensive line, and IMO, that's one of the Jets biggest weaknesses.

NW Steeler
07-29-2011, 12:14 PM
It is a bad idea to tie that much dough into your corners alone. This will hamstring them if they do it. So go ahead, do it!

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2011, 12:15 PM
So Revis and Nnamdi take out your top 2 WR's (for the most part). Big whoop. If you spend all that money on those 2 guys, your front 7 will inevitably suffer. Run the ball. Throw to the TE. Throw to the RB coming out of the backfield. Run the spread and throw to the slot receivers. The defense's primary focus should be generating pressure. There is a reason that they refer to the DB's as the "secondary." Fat Rex has it backwards.

feltdizz
07-29-2011, 12:41 PM
So Revis and Nnamdi take out your top 2 WR's (for the most part). Big whoop. If you spend all that money on those 2 guys, your front 7 will inevitably suffer. Run the ball. Throw to the TE. Throw to the RB coming out of the backfield. Run the spread and throw to the slot receivers. The defense's primary focus should be generating pressure. There is a reason that they refer to the DB's as the "secondary." Fat Rex has it backwards.

The Pats don't run the ball...

2 shut down corners is never a bad idea...

Let the FO worry about the money...

aggiebones
07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
I can't believe they are doing it, but it appears all but done.
My Jets friend talks about how great Tannenbaum is as their GM, but he trades away alot of picks, while making some weird picks like the Russian G in the second round last year.

I can't believe they will tie all that money up there. I can't believe Rex will allow all their money to go to the backfield, but maybe he thinks he can build a front 7 from scrap, but needs to buy some CBs.

Who knows. Will be interesting to watch.

flippy
07-29-2011, 01:03 PM
They gotta design the Jets to beat NE. Brady can tear teams apart with his passing. Coverage is the only hope of getting to Brady most likely. So I can see why this could make them better.

But it begs the question, where should teams spend their Defensive dollars?

My equation is QB + Defensive Front 7 = Championships

Everyone else is a role player unless you get a freakish talent at a position a la Troy that changes the equation a bit.

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2011, 01:48 PM
making some weird picks like the Russian G in the second round last year.

Just cause Ducasse's first name is Vladimir doesn't make him Russian (Ike Taylor's real first name is Ivan...does that make him Russian too? :wink: ). The Jets' Russian guard is from Haiti. That's a long way from the ol' Gulag. :lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-29-2011, 02:30 PM
They gotta design the Jets to beat NE. Brady can tear teams apart with his passing. Coverage is the only hope of getting to Brady most likely. So I can see why this could make them better.

I disagree completely. Brady will spread them out the same way everyone complains they do to us. Revis and Nnamdi are good, but can they cover 4 receivers? That's what they will be asked to do. With a pass rush that does not get the kind of pressure that we do, third and fourth receivers, tight ends, and running backs are going to put up big receiving numbers against that D.

flippy
07-29-2011, 02:43 PM

I disagree completely. Brady will spread them out the same way everyone complains they do to us. Revis and Nnamdi are good, but can they cover 4 receivers? That's what they will be asked to do. With a pass rush that does not get the kind of pressure that we do, third and fourth receivers, tight ends, and running backs are going to put up big receiving numbers against that D.

In fairness to Rex Ryan, he already figured out Tom Brady last season. Take away his safety valve and force him to hold the ball longer than he wants.

Ryan effectively beat Brady with a zone coverage in the playoffs. So I don't really know what I was saying earlier :)

insanesteelersfan
07-29-2011, 02:46 PM

The Patriots don't run the ball ?...What Moron told you that ? The Pats are a better running team then the Steelers are. Averaged more Yds, YPC, and only 1 less attempt per game. The Pats are one of the leagues most BALANCED offensive teams.

Dee Dub
07-29-2011, 02:58 PM

I'm thinking What.

They will eliminate passing to outside WRs completely....

So untrue. For example, neither Revis nor Asomugha can cover Mike Wallace one on one all game long. Not possible. And what many donít seem to understand is Asomugha will now have to play out of position. He is a natural left corner and was not moved around at all while at Oakland. Revis is like Ike Taylor in that he plays the opponents best receiver regardless of where he lines up. As a result he is forced to move around which will now cause Asomugha to have to do the same. This may not be a natural thing for him.

Dee Dub
07-29-2011, 03:00 PM
By the way...for what it's worth...I think the combination of Asante Samuel and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie are going to be better.

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
By the way...for what it's worth...I think the combination of Asante Samuel and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie are going to be better.

I think the combination of Ike Taylor and...oh, who am I kidding. :lol:

feltdizz
07-29-2011, 03:33 PM

The Patriots don't run the ball ?...What Moron told you that ? The Pats are a better running team then the Steelers are. Averaged more Yds, YPC, and only 1 less attempt per game. The Pats are one of the leagues most BALANCED offensive teams.

When I say the Pats don't run the ball I don't mean they NEVER run the ball...

They run draws and kill the clock but it's not their identity. They spread you out all day and sprinkle in a few runs at the end of games.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-29-2011, 03:34 PM
I just wonder how Revis will handle Aso making more than him (if he does)? That will create a rift. Not could. It will.

feltdizz
07-29-2011, 03:42 PM

I'm thinking What.

They will eliminate passing to outside WRs completely....

So untrue. For example, neither Revis nor Asomugha can cover Mike Wallace one on one all game long. Not possible. And what many donít seem to understand is Asomugha will now have to play out of position. He is a natural left corner and was not moved around at all while at Oakland. Revis is like Ike Taylor in that he plays the opponents best receiver regardless of where he lines up. As a result he is forced to move around which will now cause Asomugha to have to do the same. This may not be a natural thing for him.

Mike Wallace 1 catch for 6 yards in the AFCCG

He did have 7 for 102 in the first game...

Not sure if Revis will have to play the best WR with Asomugha on the other side.

flippy
07-29-2011, 03:43 PM

I think the combination of Ike Taylor and...oh, who am I kidding. :lol:

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't post it cause I thought it was Gay. :)

BradshawsHairdresser
07-29-2011, 03:43 PM
I don't know...I wouldn't mind seeing either Revis or Nmandi inserted as a starter in the Steelers' lineup. Don't see how the upgrade couldn't help. Now, as to whether it's worth all the extra money it costs, that's another matter.

feltdizz
07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
In fairness to Rex Ryan, he already figured out Tom Brady last season. Take away his safety valve and force him to hold the ball longer than he wants.

Ryan effectively beat Brady with a zone coverage in the playoffs. So I don't really know what I was saying earlier :)

unlike us the Jets changed their D and it threw the Pats off.

Brady and Welker: "we practiced for man to man all week and they came out in a zone" We weren't ready for it.

flippy
07-29-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't know...I wouldn't mind seeing either Revis or Nmandi inserted as a starter in the Steelers' lineup. Don't see how the upgrade couldn't help. Now, as to whether it's worth all the extra money it costs, that's another matter.

We could always cut the whole OLine to free up the dollar for Nnamdi :)

Oviedo
07-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Great if the Jets do get Nmandi because that guaratees their front 7 will suck and therefore they will not make the Super Bowl.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-29-2011, 03:45 PM
You can only have one alpha dog.

This will be a disaster if it happens.

feltdizz
07-29-2011, 03:46 PM

We could always cut the whole OLine to free up the dollar for Nnamdi :)

and probably get better... except for Pouncey of course.

The only way this backfires is if Revis gets all emo due to the money.

feltdizz
07-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Great if the Jets do get Nmandi because that guaratees their front 7 will suck and therefore they will not make the Super Bowl.

well we ran all over them last year in the playoffs so I think they are willing to give up some yards up front.

It's all about beating the Pats...

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2011, 03:50 PM

what the hell are you talking about?

the *** havent won a playoff game since 2007.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-29-2011, 03:58 PM

what the hell are you talking about?

the *** havent won a playoff game since 2007.
What does that have to do with what he said?

The Pats are the division winners more oft than not so the Jets feel they need to build a team to beat them. That's the first step to making the play-offs....right?

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2011, 04:04 PM
just seems funny to me.

felt is infatuated with a team that hasn't won a playoff game in four years.

am i wrong?

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2011, 04:04 PM
I just wonder how Revis will handle Aso making more than him (if he does)? That will create a rift. Not could. It will.

I'm sure the Jets approached Revis about that very fact before they decided to pursue Asomugha and Revis must have told them he would be okay with it.

but in the back of Revis' mind he must remember when he was holding out and the Jets told him they only had so much $ they could give him...

BackwoodsSteeler
07-29-2011, 04:09 PM

I'm sure the Jets approached Revis about that very fact before they decided to pursue Asomugha and Revis must have told them he would be okay with it.

but in the back of Revis' mind he must remember when he was holding out and the Jets told him they only had so much $ they could give him...
Like I said....there can be only one alpha dag.

Two huge egos.....the cards will fall.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-29-2011, 04:10 PM
just seems funny to me.

am i wrong?
Just because he isn't too bright, does not mean he does not have a valid point this time.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2011, 04:11 PM
touche

Slapstick
07-29-2011, 04:28 PM
And what many donít seem to understand is Asomugha will now have to play out of position. He is a natural left corner and was not moved around at all while at Oakland. Revis is like Ike Taylor in that he plays the opponents best receiver regardless of where he lines up. As a result he is forced to move around which will now cause Asomugha to have to do the same. This may not be a natural thing for him.

I disagree...

With Asomugha, there is no need for Revis to move around and cover the opponent's best WR...

feltdizz
07-29-2011, 04:29 PM
just seems funny to me.

am i wrong?

very wrong....

It sounds like you are infatuated with me :stirpot

feltdizz
07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
just seems funny to me.

am i wrong?
Just because he isn't too bright, does not mean he does not have a valid point this time.
ohhhh you bad! :wink:

aggiebones
07-29-2011, 04:42 PM

Yes, if they up the salary cap, sure add him. But adding him now takes away from another spot. Granted we need at least 1 more COMPETENT CB across from Ike.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-29-2011, 05:52 PM

Yes, if they up the salary cap, sure add him. But adding him now takes away from another spot. Granted we need at least 1 more COMPETENT CB across from Ike.
Why are people even responding to such an idiotic statement? Who would not want either in their d back-field?

BackwoodsSteeler
07-29-2011, 05:53 PM
just seems funny to me.

am i wrong?
ohhhh you bad! :wink:
Nope. Just honest to a fault. :Cheers

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2011, 05:55 PM

Why are people even responding to such an idiotic statement? Who would not want either in their d back-field?

I don't think anyone disputes that they would love to have either Revis OR Asomugha, the question is should a team devote such a large % of their salary cap to one position at the expense of other positions on the field?