PDA

View Full Version : Resigning Starks?????

Oviedo
07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
With Flozell released maybe there is some credability to the multiple "rumors and reports" that the Steelers may resign Starks. Maybe the whole Starks thig was a cap savings with the mind to resign later.

I'd feel much better knowing that Starks is there in some capacity. He is a class act and even now I have more confidence in him at LT than Scott, Hills or anyone else on the roster.

papillon
07-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Maybe, it's Flozell that they will release and sign. I would think this is last year as a player and there isn't going to be much interest in signing him.

EDIT: Evidently, that isn't the case, since Flozell decided he didn't want a pay cut. If there's no interest in his services he may reconsider his stance that he won't accept a pay cut.

Pappy

Steelgal
07-29-2011, 10:45 AM
With Flozell released maybe there is some credability to the multiple "rumors and reports" that the Steelers may resign Starks. Maybe the whole Starks thig was a cap savings with the mind to resign later.

I'd feel much better knowing that Starks is there in some capacity. He is a class act and even now I have more confidence in him at LT than Scott, Hills or anyone else on the roster.

I would agree with this IF the rumors of him being 400 lbs and being out of shape are overblown/inaccurate. Also if he's recovered from his neck injury. If healthy/in shape, he's a big improvement over Scott.

Oviedo
07-29-2011, 12:22 PM
I'd rather have Starks metoring Marcus Gilbert thsan Jon Scott. For that reason I hope they resign him to a reduced contract.

steelblood
07-29-2011, 12:40 PM
I'd rather have Starks metoring Marcus Gilbert thsan Jon Scott. For that reason I hope they resign him to a reduced contract.

We never should have cut Starks unless his neck is not right. I don't care if he was 400 pounds. After Pouncey, he was a our best linemen and good LTs are very difficult to find or develop.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Maybe, it's Flozell that they will release and sign. I would think this is last year as a player and there isn't going to be much interest in signing him.

EDIT: Evidently, that isn't the case, since Flozell decided he didn't want a pay cut. If there's no interest in his services he may reconsider his stance that he won't accept a pay cut.

Pappy
Don't worry, there will be interest in his services. As there will in Starks, if he is healthy.

Oviedo
07-29-2011, 02:56 PM

Pappy
Don't worry, there will be interest in his services. As there will in Starks, if he is healthy.

I still suspect Starks and the Steelers have a handshake deal they are working out.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-29-2011, 03:33 PM

Pappy

I still suspect Starks and the Steelers have a handshake deal they are working out.

I don't know...Starks' tweet sounds as though he thinks his days as a Steeler are over.

flippy
07-29-2011, 03:46 PM
This is a shame if they don't resign him. He's a quality tackle and a quality guy by all accounts.

steelblood
07-29-2011, 04:20 PM
this is a very poor pass protecting o-line right now. It may be an average to slightly above average running line. But, I fear for Ben's health.

NorthCoast
07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
some laughable comments....."need him"...."dont need him"....yada ...yada....

Starks is now a backup, nothing more. Steelers have moved on, as they should.

phillyesq
07-29-2011, 04:39 PM

Pappy

Why would they have a handshake deal? The Steelers don't have to be compliant with the new cap until next week. If they had an agreement, they could have restructured or continued negotiating.

Steelerphile
07-29-2011, 05:28 PM
People are getting bent out of shape with cutting Starks and replacing him with Scott unnecessarily. Starks , if the fans, recall was no instant hit. He took a ton of fan abuse when he first played and was for a time benched in favor of Colon.

Now the fans are acting like he is this perennial all-Pro who is lost. I think Scott made strides at quicker pace than Starks did. Any O-line man needs playing time to show his worth and to improve on his craft. It is the rare player who comes in and is playing at a high level from the start.

The fact that Scott improved dramatically from his first game to his last is a wonderful indicator for him. I think at the end of the season, he was playing at a level comparable to Starks and as he stays committed, I only see him continuing his upswing.

Starks always was overweight and as he ages and this will be a bigger and bigger problem. Maybe Hampton can stand being fat because he really doesn't move far but a tackle can't get too fat because he is supposed to deal with speed rushing from the edge.

A neck injury added to this can not be too good, with the impact to the head and neck a lineman sustains almost every play.

Starks evidently cares more about about enjoying the pleasures of food than he does his football career. He's not dumb and he must know that when you play professional sports, you have to be in shape to compete.

So he got himself cut. He probably doesn't care. He's a laid back guy. He's made his share of money and can go do something else if he chooses. It's no great loss.

pittpete
07-29-2011, 05:51 PM
People are getting bent out of shape with cutting Starks and replacing him with Scott unnecessarily. Starks , if the fans, recall was no instant hit. He took a ton of fan abuse when he first played and was for a time benched in favor of Colon.

Now the fans are acting like he is this perennial all-Pro who is lost. I think Scott made strides at quicker pace than Starks did. Any O-line man needs playing time to show his worth and to improve on his craft. It is the rare player who comes in and is playing at a high level from the start.

The fact that Scott improved dramatically from his first game to his last is a wonderful indicator for him. I think at the end of the season, he was playing at a level comparable to Starks and as he stays committed, I only see him continuing his upswing.

Starks always was overweight and as he ages and this will be a bigger and bigger problem. Maybe Hampton can stand being fat because he really doesn't move far but a tackle can't get too fat because he is supposed to deal with speed rushing from the edge.

A neck injury added to this can not be too good, with the impact to the head and neck a lineman sustains almost every play.

Starks evidently cares more about about enjoying the pleasures of food than he does his football career. He's not dumb and he must know that when you play professional sports, you have to be in shape to compete.

So he got himself cut. He probably doesn't care. He's a laid back guy. He's made his share of money and can go do something else if he chooses. It's no great loss.

Couldnt have said it better myself.. :tt1

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2011, 05:52 PM
so let's say we don't re-sign Mad Max...

if J Scott is our new starting LT and if he gets hurt, who then plays LT?

Willie Colon? Tony Hills? Marcus Gilbert? Chris Scott?

pittpete
07-29-2011, 06:01 PM
If Mendenhall gets hurt, who plays running back?
Cross that bridge when/if we come to it..
Flozell will be signed out of retirement or Max... 8)

calmkiller
07-29-2011, 06:28 PM
If anyone is going to resign it won't be until after the 4th of August. They will not announce any restructures of contracts until late into the night August the 3rd. If we restructure anyone before then they will not be allowed to practice until the 4th. We will practice everyone we can and then announce the restructures, if there are any. This would include Woodley's new deal.