PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Training Camp Diary

fordfixer
07-29-2011, 02:30 AM
Steelers Training Camp Diary

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 68deaaba9e (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary/e6fcb6cf-6c78-4c33-9f09-6968deaaba9e)

The following is an informal training camp diary.

Thursday, July 28

It’s late July and in Pittsburgh that means one thing – Steelers training camp is underway. Players arrived at St. Vincent College on Thursday, many of them making it well before a 3 p.m. team meeting.

“It gets going when you go through the toll (booth) and sign autographs,” said linebacker Larry Foote. “Then I go to Chick-fil-a and those people are going crazy. Then you see your boys and it gets going.”

It was almost like a family reunion, with players happily greeting each other upon arrival, as well as sharing hugs and handshakes with coaches and staff.

For many it’s the first time they have seen some of their teammates since the Super Bowl and they were happy to be back.

“It’s great to be back,” said defensive end Brett Keisel. “Back here in Latrobe. Back to work is great.”

Keisel has already gotten a jump start on the beard that became so famous last year.

“This is the baby beard,” said Keisel. “It’s a new beard. I bet it will get as long as last year. Hopefully it will be here in February.”

The order of business on Thursday was pick-up their room key and camp schedule, get their headshot photos taken, unpack everything in their room and then head to a team meeting before the conditioning test.

You could tell players had been working out during the lockout as many of them arrived at camp in good shape.

“I am ready to get back to work and get this show on the road,” said running back Isaac Redman. “I have been working out in Pittsburgh. I was preparing for the run test. I am ready to just go. Everybody was ready to be here in camp and be around each other and bond with the rookies.”

Casey Hampton was asked if he felt he was in shape coming into camp, and with a big smile and laugh he answered, “I don’t know man, we’ll see.”

At times the player arrivals were slow-paced, until four cars pulled up with many of last year’s rookie class arriving together, including Maurkice Pouncey, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Crezdon Butler and Stevenson Sylvester, who popped out of the roof of a jeep and shouted, “We’re back.”

Tight end David Johnson learned of some news when he arrived, that free agent tight end Matt Spaeth signed with the Chicago Bears, moving Johnson up to number two on the depth chart.

“That sounds good. I am ready,” said Johnson. “You know you are going to have to show them you are ready to take on a new role.”

The players also talked about how different it was this offseason having lost Super Bowl XLV after winning two of them recently.

“I think it’s driven everyone to come back and make another run,” said Keisel. “It’s not fun going there and losing. Hopefully guys are more driven than ever to get back there.”

One player who is definitely motivated is Sanders,

“Walking off that field after the Super Bowl I was thinking I need to know what it feels like to feel the confetti falling on me and I have the t-shirt on my back and the ring on my finger,” said Sanders.

The first day also brought out plenty of media, including local and national with NFL Network and ESPN both on hand.

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Mike Tomlin speaks

July 28th, 2011

Here is a transcript of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's news conference, following the start of training camp.

Opening statement
"Of course, we’re excited about getting started, doing the necessary things that you do when you get camp started. We checked in and weighed guys and had a conditioning evaluation. I think that was appropriate to approach it from that standpoint as opposed to a conditioning test. We don’t know where these guys have been. More than anything we wanted to see where they are from a conditioning standpoint and that provides knowledge for us as we proceed. It went extremely well. I like the condition of many of the men and with that we’ll proceed. In terms of what’s going on in starting this camp, we acknowledge that these are unique circumstances with a lot of things going on. But we’re not overly concerned by it, in that, there are unique circumstances for everyone, meaning the people that we compete against as well. We’re going to do the best we can to be our best selves and manage the many issues and things that are going on as we proceed and we’re excited about doing that. I’ll be happy to answer and address any questions that you have. Quickly, though, before we do that I’ll talk about status. We have three guys that will start this thing on the PUP list, that’s physically unable to perform. Hines Ward coming off his thumb surgery, Chris Kemoeatu has some swelling in his knee from training and we’re going to watch him, and Eugene Bright is still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. All others here have passed their physicals and are ready to rock and roll."

Q: Who is not here that you expect?
A: It’s a tough issue because some of the guys who are not here are absent because they’re not signed, which means they’re free agents. So, of course, we don’t talk about free agency individually because it is a prudent business approach that may hurt our negotiations. So, I’m not going to talk about any of those guys specifically but those talks are ongoing and they will continue to be ongoing in the midst of getting training camp started. Those are some of the many unusual circumstances that, of course, I was talking about earlier."

Q: What went into the decision to cut Max (Starks) and Antwaan Randle El?
A: "Of course we have great respect for those guys and their contributions to our football team. I’m not going to get into the specifics that led to our decision. The reality is that it’s necessary business maneuvers. We appreciate the efforts of those men and wish them the absolute best as they move forward."

Q: What do think Plaxico Burress's chances of being a success are after being reinstated into the league?
A: "I don’t have the answer to that. He’s probably better equipped to answer that than I am and, again, I don’t directly discuss free agents. That’s not prudent business practice."

Q: What is the status of the rookies?
A: "Certainly. I wanted to mention that and I’m sorry I failed to mention that. We have all of our rookies signed except our one and our three. Of course, (Curtis) Brown and Cameron (Heyward). So we’re continuing to work on those guys and hopefully we’ll get those guys done pretty quickly and, again like I said, the people that handle those types of procedures are multitasking like a lot of people are around the National Football League."

Q: What is the number on your roster now?
A: "We have 86 right now. That’s including all the draft picks, including the two that aren’t signed, and the guys that are listed on PUP. In terms of the number of people we’re allotted, of course, we’re four under that number."

Q: Everybody passed (conditioning test) today?
A: "Well, it wasn’t anything that they could pass or fail. It was simply a conditioning evaluation to see where they are and I thought I made myself clear at the beginning with that."

Q: Will you move Flozell (Adams) back to left tackle?
A: "I’m open to all considerations, particularly in the short term as we practice and continue to work in terms of filling out our training camp roster. So, particularly in the short term, you guys could see some interesting things as we work."

Q: Last year you said he was a right tackle.
A: "Well, I wasn’t necessarily talking about Flozell (Adams) so, in essence, I dodged your question."

Q: Any chance Max (Starks) comes back?
A: "Again, I’m not going to close the door on any of those potential events happening. We admit that these are unusual circumstances and, that being the case, it would be prudent to leave it in that manner."

Q: With no more two-a-days so what are you going to do in the mornings?
A: "Quite frankly we are going to start, of course, inside the guidelines prescribed by the agreement and stay there. We’ve got some options in terms of some things and I think we are going to be light on our feet quite frankly to get started to see what works best for us. So initially we are going to talk about walk throughs in the morning along with meetings and of course we will have our normal afternoon practices. But by no means are we married to our schedule that we have right now. We will look at it over the course of the next few days, be light on our feet and be prepared to adjust to best prepare these men. I think most people around the National Football League have that mentality because we are all in unchartered territory in terms of work format."

Q: Will the team discipline James (Harrison)?
"We have not discussed that."

Q: Do you anticipate there to be (discipline)?
A: "I do not know at this point. We have been multi-tasking a lot of things."

Q: Do you look at what he said as something detrimental to the team?
A: "I think it was inappropriate. Whether or not it is detrimental to the development of our team, that is to be seen. But it was inappropriate."

Q: Has James (Harrison) come to you at all regarding the article?
A: "We’ve had several conversations regarding it and I will leave that between he and I."

Q: What was inappropriate?
A: "What he said regarding the commissioner is inappropriate."

Q: What will happen in the locker room in regards to the comments he made about his teammates?
A: "That’s the locker room. We have a unique group of guys who are uniquely close. I’d imagine it didn’t register as big a blip on the radar as you guys might have imagined. The guys on the team know, respect and love James (Harrison). They know how he is. To a degree some of the things he says they take with a grain of salt to be quite honest with you. That’s just how we operate."

Q: Have you spoke to Hines (Ward) about his situation?
A: "I’ve spoken to a lot of our guys about their individual situations. Things that may have occurred in the offseason and to be honest with you I fully intend to leave that between them and myself."

Q: How will the new rules about practice affect how much you are pads later in the year?
A: "I’m not willing at this point to say it is going to change our approach in any form or fashion. We always reserve the right to go to pads when we need them. I don’t know that that has been more than three times over the last six weeks of the season in the past. So that might be extremely comfortable with our design of work. Every football team is different. Usually when you put pads on late in the season its because things you are seeing on tape technically, specifically pad level. So we do it on an as needed basis. We’ve been allotted three of those opportunities over the last six weeks based on the agreement. I’m not ready to say at this juncture that that’s not enough."

How was Ben’s (Roethlisberger) wedding?
"It was great. It was enjoyable. It was a great reception and a beautiful day."

Was anyone’s conditioning not up to par?
"Again, it was a conditioning evaluation, not a test. We simply wanted to see where they were and in some instances we did."

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

fordfixer
07-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Training Camp Diary

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 6bfba3112d (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Training-Camp-Diary/a6019d98-b02b-4d39-a95f-7d6bfba3112d)

Friday, July 29

After a hectic first day of check-ins on Thursday the normal training camp routine began to take effect on Friday with everyone finally settled in.

A morning walk-thru was the first order of business and afterwards quarterback Ben Roethlisberger talked about the past week and what it’s been like with players coming and going.

“This has been a crazy week,” said Roethlisberger. “You go home and turn on the TV and see people going to all of these places. It’s an interesting, fun week if you can sit back and watch it and aren’t one of the guys involved.”

One of those guys involved was tackle Max Starks, who was released before camp started.

“Max was the last one in my draft class,” said Roethlisberger. “I am the only one left. It’s hard to see someone you have been around that long with go. It’s hard to lose friends. But it’s fun to see guys come back like Jonathan Scott and Willie Colon.”

Roethlisberger even lobbied for the return of Colon, one of his closest friends.

“He is a heck of a competitor and one of my good friends on this team, so I was lobbying hard to get him back here,” said Roethlisberger. “It was very joyous when I was told and called him. He probably could have played last year. That is how hard he worked. He might be stronger and better than ever. He worked hard and put a lot of effort into getting back.”

The Steelers had their first practice of training camp on Friday, but Mother Nature interrupted with a vengeance.

About an hour and a half into the practice without pads, light rain started to fall. It didn’t take long for that to turn into a torrential downpour, sending players, coaches and staff scurrying for the trainer’s tent. Those in the worst position when the rain started were the team’s video crew, who were filming practice from a lift.

After about five minutes Coach Mike Tomlin sent the players to the locker room as thunder and lightning were in the forecast. About 10 minutes later, skies cleared and Tomlin got on the radio and the players took the field again. But it wouldn’t be for long. A flash of lightning and thunder had the team sound the horn, ending practice early and sending everyone running for cover as the downpour returned, even harder this time.

A soaking wet Tomlin headed to the team’s media room, conducting his post-practice update there instead of on the field where it normally takes place.

The big news of the day was the signing of first-round draft pick Cameron Heyward. Heyward arrived shortly after the team started practice and after signing his contract was whisked over to the locker room and joined his teammates on the field, even if he was a few minutes late – something he admitted he hates when he took part in a press conference after practice with Steelers President Art Rooney II.

“I’m a guy that likes to be there ten minutes early so I’ve got to make it up,” said Heyward. “Right now guys are ahead of me and I just have to take it one day at a time.”

One fun tradition that takes place during camp is having rookies sing in the cafeteria and with almost a full complement of rookies on hand, it was a perfect time to get it started. First up was Heyward, who tried to get things rolling but didn’t get his teammates’ approval. Fellow rookies Baron Batch and Miguel Chavis fared better, though.

Oh, and by the way, as I write this…it’s raining again. Here is hoping sunshine is in the forecast for the rest of camp.

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Grdnic's Camp Tidbits; Smith in typical form; Polamalu on health; Sweed grateful, healthy

3:59pm - Fri, Jul 29th, 2011
By Dale Grdnic

LATROBE, Pa. -- It might have been just a walk-through, but 13-year veteran Aaron Smith approached the Friday morning session like any other.

Smith did everything asked of him during the hour-long workout and then stayed after to hit the blocking sleds with his fellow defensive ends. And even though Smith has played in just 11 games the past two seasons and 38 the past four years due to various shoulder and arm injuries, he looked pretty good.

"It was as much for me as it was for them to get me back into it, to hit the sled and get back into feeling it was a good thing for me,'' Smith said. "As far as health-wise, I feel great, but we really won't know until I play some real football. But I'm in great condition.

(And) as far as status-wise, until they tell me otherwise, I'm going to keep going like I've been going here as the starter.

"But if they feel it's better for the team with Ziggy, I'll deal with it then, but I'm looking at it like I'm still the starter until they say otherwise. Motivation-wise, this is my 13th camp, and you still have that nervousness and that anxiety, so that hasn't changed for me. I still feel like it's the same every year for me.''

Ziggy Hood, the club's No. 1 pick in 2009, replaced Smith after six games last season and played pretty well by the playoffs. Hood is strong and athletic, and many believe his improved play would push Smith out the door into retirement.

"I only quit one time in my life, and it did not feel good,'' Smith noted. "It was when I was a freshman in high school, but I love to play this game, and I'll keep playing this game until they can tell me that I can't play it anymore.''

Smith wanted to play for his high school basketball team, which was going to the playoffs. He got called up to the varsity there, so he wanted to quit the freshman football team. Smith said he was playing the scout team, so he was getting "beat up pretty good.'' Instead of just supporting his decision, Smith's mother made him tell the football coach himself.

"That was tough for a 15-year-old boy to do,'' Smith said. "It was ... a very uncomfortable situation. I didn't like that feeling at all. So, I don't think I can quit now. I just can't see myself quitting, so we'll go through this year and evaluate that and see what goes on. But I'm just taking it day by day and year by year now. I'm at that stage in my career.''

Smith said he wouldn't have an issue being a backup to Hood or having his contract renegotiated to provide cap space, but he hasn't been approached about either at this point.

Smith spent the offseason running and working out in the Pittsburgh area, Marshall Middle School in the North Allegheny School District in Wexford, Pa. He dropped about 10 pounds from that hard work and has been cleared to practice with the team on a full-time basis.

Smith added that he believed he had a legitimate shot to play in the Super Bowl, despite missing the final two-thirds of the season to that point, but the risk outweighed the benefits. So, he stayed on the bench then as well.

Limas Is Back

Third-year wideout Limas Sweed was not ready to play last season, however, as an offseason workout resulted in a ruptured Achilles tendon. This followed a season marred by personal issues. The Steelers selected Sweed in the second round from Texas in 2008.

He played in 11 games and had six catches for 64 yards as a rookie and played in nine games in 2009 and had just one catch for five yards with no touchdowns overall. Sweed has his old No. 80 back for this camp with a new attitude and outlook that was refreshing to see and hear.

"I'm 110-percent ready to go right now,'' Sweed said. "The Achilles is back, and I'm feeling healthy. I pretty much know the plays, so now it's just a matter of getting out there and doing what I can do. I just come in like I'm a rookie. I'm coming off an injury.

"I battled some things, off-field issues the last couple years, which set me back. But I'm back, and I'm grateful that the Steelers stuck with me and helped me get through that. So, I'm ... in my right mind mentally and physically. Now, it's time for me to get out there and play and let the chips fall where they may.''

Sweed said he was asked to sit out the end of the conditioning run Thursday to take it easy on his Achilles. He said he was running hard and felt pretty good.

"If I go out and just play football, I believe everything else will take care of itself,'' Sweed said. "And this is the first time that I've come out here with a clear mind and have been healthy. I've been battling injuries and other things, but now I feel like I'm 110 percent mentally and physically, body and soul. And now it's just time to prove it.

"Going through some of the things that I went through off the field, being distracted, that cost me to lose confidence. But that can happen to anybody. To have my teammates and the Steelers there to help me get through them, that's why I'm here to day, and it's why I'm a much stronger person.

"Coming back from the Achilles injury and the other things I went through, that's not exactly easy to come back from things like that,'' Sweed added. "But I had good support from my teammates and coaches, and now it's time to rock and roll. And I'm ready to do that this year.''

Notes: Safety Troy Polamalu said he's getting closer to being 100 percent, but believed his lower-body injury took longer to heal because he just rehabbed it and didn't opt for surgery. ... Polamalu probably won't practice too hard this first week to continue to heal and allow younger plays to get more reps.

The Steelers have signed first round pick Cameron Heyward, the team announced.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... thy/40910/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/grdnics-camp-tidbits-smith-in-typical-form-polamalu-on-health-sweed-grateful-healthy/40910/)

steelblood
07-30-2011, 08:22 AM
Sweed sounds like damaged goods to me.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Roethlisberger even lobbied for the return of Colon, one of his closest friends.

I have to wonder if that isn't one of the main reasons Colon is back.

Chavezz
07-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Sweed. Most surprising player this year. Write it down. If we don't sign plexico the to thinks so too.

Lebsteel
07-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Have Sweed play like he did in his college days would be a huge plus for our WR corps. I am pulling for him!

fordfixer
07-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Have Sweed play like he did in his college days would be a huge plus for our WR corps. I am pulling for him!
:Agree :tt1 :tt1

Slapstick
07-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Sweed said he was asked to sit out the end of the conditioning run Thursday to take it easy on his Achilles. He said he was running hard and felt pretty good.

I strongly suspected that this was the case...

Dwyer coming in out of shape? I could see that...

Limas? After actually getting it together? Not so much...

Slapstick
07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Sweed sounds like damaged goods to me.

Yeah, dropping $10 million on Plaxico is a much better idea...

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 04:10 PM
I would love to see sweed make it.

Hell, I would love to see him do well even if it's not here. He has the tools...just hope his head is right.

Oviedo
07-30-2011, 04:20 PM
:Agree :tt1 :tt1

:Agree :Agree :Agree

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2011, 07:09 PM

Sweed: 'I'm the tall receiver'

With all the speculation surrounding the return of Plaxico Burress and the talk of the Steelers needing a big receiver, Limas Sweed has something to say.

"I am that guy," said Sweed, a 6-foot-4, 220-pounder who is entering his fourth season with the club. "That's how I like to look at it. It's just a matter of me showing my teammates and my coaches that I am that guy."

Sweed did not play in 2010 after injuring the Achilles tendon in his left leg. In addition to the injury, Sweed had been dealing with some emotional issues for much of the past two years. He was placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Illness List late in the 2009 season.

Sweed, a second-round selection in the 2008 draft, has to make an impact during camp to earn a roster spot. The Steelers have four established receivers in Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown. Sweed will be in a battle with a slew of other receivers for a roster spot.

"I just come in like I'm a rookie," Sweed said. "I'm coming off an injury. I battled some off-the-field issues the past couple of years, which held me back. I'm grateful the Steelers were there to work with me and get me through that. I'm back in my right mind mentally and physically. Now it's time to just go play, let the chips fall where they may."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/11 ... z1TcpHdsVM (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/1164038-66-0.stm#ixzz1TcpHdsVM)

fordfixer
07-31-2011, 02:02 AM

By Teresa Varley
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... a2d4a682c7 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary/f4fdea43-bc5e-4afb-89d5-7ea2d4a682c7)

Saturday, July 30

If you want to know how much having the Steelers at St. Vincent College for training camp means to the surrounding area, all you have to do is look at the signs on all of the businesses along Route 30 in Greensburg and Latrobe. Store marquees have messages welcoming the team, with messages from “Here We Go Steelers” to “Steelers are back. Life is good.”

Life was good on Saturday as Friday’s rain was long gone and the morning fog gave way to sunny, blue skies all day.

The big news of the day was free agent wide receiver Plaxico Burress visiting the team, as the Steelers looked at him and veteran tight end Daniel Graham. Burress spent time with coaches and management, but also visiting with some of his former teammates.

There were some other familiar faces making their first appearance at camp, including cornerback Ike Taylor who signed a new deal. Taylor wasn’t permitted to report to camp until Friday night, and got in to meet up with his teammates on Saturday morning. Taylor was welcomed by veterans Hines Ward, Casey Hampton and James Farrior as soon as he arrived.

While the crowd might have been a little light on Friday, Saturday was a huge turnout with fans arriving early and packing the area around the practice field. The rain from the last few days forced practice to be moved to the far field, but nobody seemed to mind as the fans cheered some nice catches during practice.

Wide receiver Hines Ward is on the PUP list and isn’t able to practice, but spent a few minutes on the sidelines today chatting with Joe Greene about some things – including sharing some stories about his time on “Dancing with the Stars.” Despite the fun stories, don’t expect Greene on the show any time soon.

Coach Mike Tomlin did his normal post-practice interview, talking briefly about Burress’ visit as well as Daniel Graham being there visiting the team.

Tomlin was asked if he was looking forward to practice on Sunday, the first one the team will hold in pads. All Tomlin had to do was smile to let you know he couldn’t wait.

phillyesq
07-31-2011, 09:13 AM
As much as we'd all like to see Sweed succeed, this hamstring injury, if serious, could be a final nail in the coffin.

From the report below, it appears that Dwyer is again out of shape. Very disappointing. Seems like carrying him on the roster last year may have been a big waste of time.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/07/steelers-2011-training-camp-day-three-recap/

fordfixer
08-01-2011, 01:18 AM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 36abb9ead8 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary/44ea7bcc-1f31-4545-9cc8-4a36abb9ead8)

Sunday, July 31

The peace and tranquility of a Sunday morning at St. Vincent College turned into popping of shoulder pads in the afternoons as the Steelers held a much-anticipated first practice in pads.

The new CBA allows only so many practices in pads during camp and the regular season and some veterans think that will be a benefit long-term, although they do acknowledge that the way Coach Mike Tomlin has run practices in the past it’s similar to what the new rules are.

“We don’t have a real tough training camp anyway, but with all the new rules with the CBA, it’s even easier,” said linebacker James Farrior. “I definitely think it helps the player’s bodies out tremendously. Training camp can be brutal sometimes and that wear and tear on your body adds up at the end of the season.”

Fellow linebacker James Harrison feels the same way.

“We’re not out here banging twice a day,” said Harrison. “You only bang so often in the regular season. For us in the regular season that’s not much of a change because the rules that they set forth are basically what the Steelers do and how Coach Tomlin does his practices and most of the camps for the most part.”

And one thing players aren’t worried about is fewer practices in pads having an impact on the quality of play.

“I don’t think so,” said Farrior.”I think the only problem with being locked out is that we didn’t have the younger guys going through the OTA’s and learning the system. It’s all compressed down to a few weeks now instead of a couple of months.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw some folks off on Sunday when he came to practice wearing a new number. But don’t sweat it if you have a #7 Roethlisberger jersey. Roethlisberger was simply wearing Max Starks’ #78 jersey for the offensive tackle who was released at the start of camp.

“We were the last two of our draft class,” said Roethlisberger. “His locker was next to mine for seven or eight years. I saw it there and I grabbed it and wore it in honor of him. It was a little big, it kept riding up my neck.

“First and foremost he was a very good friend. We spent a lot of time together. He is a good friend and a good teammate. I am not going to hold out the opportunity that he might come back.”

It was another hot day at camp, with the heat index reaching 96 degrees on the field. Players were doing their best to keep hydrated, as Tomlin had them take a water break during the backs-on-backers drills and even shouted out to them a few other times to stay hydrated. Some players even found the tiny bit of shade on the field below the video lift, hiding there for a minute when they got a break.

After practice the trainers supplied the players with popsicles for a quick cool off, and linebacker Jason Worilds shared the love, giving some out to the fans.

“It’s just a cool thing to do,” said Worilds. “They came out here to show us their support so why not try and keep them cool.”

fordfixer
08-04-2011, 01:28 AM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 94e2c0bcfb (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary/a9b9f6f4-c95d-44b1-bc82-1994e2c0bcfb)

Wednesday, August 3

After a few hot and humid days at training camp Wednesday brought cooler temperatures and a drizzle during the afternoon practice. But it wasn’t enough to keep the Steelers off the field, as practice was never interrupted by the weather.

Among those watching was Hall of Fame defensive tackle Joe Greene, a constant on the sidelines during the first week of training camp, joining fellow members of the player personnel department evaluating players.

“The first the thing I look at is the attitude a person brings to practice, is he paying attention to the coach, following directions and how well does he follow directions,” said Greene of what he looks for. “I also watch their footwork, speed and quickness when they aren’t in pads.”

Greene played in the 1970’s, when two-a-day practices and wearing pads were the norm, and he hopes that the new rules regarding practice don’t change the game at all.

“It’s the opposite end of spectrum,” said Greene. “We believed you couldn’t take the football out of football, take the contact out of it. It is a contact game. I hope through the efforts of this CBA that we don’t lose football. I don’t know that, but I will keep an eye on it. I want to keep being a fan of the National Football League.”

While Greene has been around for the start of camp, he will be leaving on Friday and heading to the Hall of Fame Inductions in Canton, Ohio.

“It’s great going back and seeing guys I played with and played against, reminiscing about whatever it is and then seeing guys I grew up watching as a kid, when I was in college and high school, and to be there in their company is a treat for me because I am a fan of pro football,” said Greene.

Greene will help welcome a new class to the Hall of Fame, and seeing them put on the gold jacket is something that he knows is special.

“You are a member of a very elite fraternity,” said Greene. “It’s one you didn’t campaign to be a part of but one the people who watch and know the game honored you by inducting you into a very special group of men.”

Former Steelers running backs coach Dick Hoak made his annual trip to Steelers training camp today, visiting with the coaches on the sidelines along with his grandson, Michael.

“I come up once a year. I brought my grandson with me,” said Hoak. “He is playing quarterback in high school. I brought him up here to watch Ben (Roethlisberger). I tell him what to watch, stuff like that.”

Hoak, who played in the 60’s and coached during the Steelers Super Bowl years in the 1970’s, finds the new practice schedule with one-a-days interesting.

“It’s a lot different,” said Hoak. “I was talking to Joe Greene and I said I don’t ever remember back in the 70’s practicing in shorts and t-shirts. I don’t know if Coach (Chuck) Noll would be happy with the new rules.”

Hoak, though, is happy he doesn’t have to worry about the new rules, enjoying his retirement.

“It’s very relaxing,” he said. “I miss the guys, I miss being around them. I don’t miss the pressure and the hours.”

Linebacker Larry Foote hosted a group of kids from Pittsburgh’s Urban Impact at practice on Wednesday. It’s an organization that is important to Foote because he comes from a similar type of background.

“Being from the inner city the stuff that they are doing is tremendous,” said Foote. “I am hands on and I have seen the results. They are just not talking, they are putting in work. I have developed a relationship with kids who have gone on to college and are on the right track for life. I am all for that.

“Young kids know about the negative influence out there. You have to fight that with positive influences.”

Tuesday, August 2

Without OTAs and an offseason program many are still learning the names of some of the new young players on the team’s roster. And that includes the players themselves.

“I don’t have a clue,” said wide receiver Ward. “Just seeing those guys, I just call them by their numbers. I am trying to help all of the younger guys, though, who can help us get back to where we want to go.”

Ward is doing that while he is on the PUP list, sidelined with a thumb injury. But he hopes to be back practicing soon.

“Hopefully sometime this weekend and I will be full go,” said Ward.

Tight end Heath Miller admits that it’s been a bit different so far this camp, having just one practice a day. But he doesn’t mind it.

“It’s been different. It’s uncharted territory for all of us,” said Miller. “I am not going to complain about it. For the walk-thru you have to focus in. It’s good for the young guys. It’s a slower pace and allows them to learn the playbook easier.”

With Emmanuel Sanders sidelined with a foot injury it’s an opportunity for Antonio Brown to get some work in the slot and he is making sure he takes advantage of the opportunity.

“It’s a golden opportunity for me to gain Ben’s (Roethlisberger) trust and set myself up to make some catches this year,” said Brown. “They are reps I am not used to. I think the coaches are comfortable in my playing ability. I just have to take advantage of the reps I am getting.

“I am right there. It’s just repetition. It’s early in camp. The first few practices I was a little off but I think I am there now.”

While Brown is taking advantage of the opportunity, he is as anxious as anyone to see Sanders get back, saying that he is praying for him.

“That is my brother. I wish him well and want the best for him,” said Brown. “I want to wish him a fast recovery because we need him as well.”

In case you are wondering what the Steelers are eating at camp, they are getting plenty of fruits and vegetables. As a matter of fact the only thing that they ran out of at the cafeteria this week – brussel sprouts. No, I am not making that up. And no, I wasn’t the one that ate them.

Residents from Kane Regional Hospital in McKeesport were at practice on Tuesday, a chance for them to get away from their normal setting and enjoy watching some football.

“Everybody we bring has been lifelong Steelers fans,” said Ken Schmigel, the hospital’s recreation therapy supervisor. “They never had the chance to get this close to Steelers. They have a nice opportunity to watch practice and then the players come off the field and stop and sign autographs for our residents. They are sitting in a wheelchair and have this six-foot something guy taking time to sign autographs. It’s special for both the players and the residents.

“When I get back to the center tomorrow I will have a list started of people who want to go next year.”

fordfixer
08-05-2011, 01:43 AM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 1246148c5b (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary/05a62dc9-68e7-490c-a918-911246148c5b)

Thursday, August 4

The Steelers pushed practice back an hour and a half on Thursday, and it had nothing to do with the weather. Instead it allowed the team’s free agents the opportunity to take part in practice now that the CBA was ratified by the players.

You could definitely see a bounce in the step of some of the players at lunch time in anticipation, several who had been waiting almost a week to be able to participate.

“I am a competitor,” said Willie Colon. “I would rather be out there than watching.”

While they were watching, a lot of young players have gotten reps, trying to make up for some lost time without an offseason program.

“It’s been beneficial for those guys,” said defensive end Brett Keisel. “(The playbook) has been toned back. We probably have one-eighth of the playbook in now. It’s going slow. There is a lot to this defense. I don’t see them picking up all of it up for at least half the year.”

The advantage the Steelers do have is experience, with veteran players able to pick things right up without much work.

“We have a lot of guys who can miss the entire offseason and run the whole defense the next day,” said Keisel. “That is one of the perks about very here so long.”

Players will get a change of pace at practice on Friday night when they will go under the lights at Latrobe Memorial Stadium, a practice that packs the fans in.

“It’s a nice change up,” said Aaron Smith. “You do the same thing day after day. Playing in front of the fans is a great experience.”

“It’s fun. It takes you back to high school,” added linebacker Lawrence Timmons. “You think about your glory years of high school. Just being under the lights is as beautiful thing and makes you enjoy the game of football.

“The fans are shoulder to shoulder. They are so excited. It makes you feel warm inside. You get the butterflies. It’s a great thing.”

While most players love the night practice, not even the change of scenery can get Casey Hampton pumped up for it.

“I am not excited about it,” Hampton said with a smirk. “I don’t like any practice whether it’s night or day time. I really don’t want to be out there, but it’s fun being out there with the fans."

What does make Hampton happy?

“He’s happy when we get to lunch, dinner and breakfast,” laughed Smith.

One thing you always see at training camp is fans getting autographs, but today it was a little different when Joe Greene was getting a couple of the players to sign a calendar for him. Greene stopped linebacker James Harrison who happily obliged, referring to Greene as “Sir.” He also got Ben Roethlisberger, James Farrior and Rashard Mendenhall before practice.

hawaiiansteel
08-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Friday night practice report

By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest

LATROBE, Pa. – It was Friday night under the lights, and it’s proven to be a time when the stars come out. Not the celestial kind necessarily, but the Steelers’ lone evening workout of training camp has been the time when some players who would become stars first announced their presence.

Often it happened during a session of goal-line, and that’s when Levon Kirkland and Kendrell Bell and Earl Holmes and Chad Brown and Kordell Stewart first did something to elicit oohs and ahhs from the Steelers fans who always come early and stay late for this annual event.

It remains to be seen whether any of the new Steelers will be able to look back on this Friday night experience and think of it as a springboard to their careers, but it was a fun time that benefited the local community.

“Awesome evening here at Latrobe Stadium,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “We love coming out here in this atmosphere in front of our fans with ‘Friday night lights,’ if you will. I thought we had some quality work. We did our normal work and had a competition period, backs-on-backers was featured there. Our two-minute segments just continued with the growth and development of our team.”

This installment of backs-on-backers was designed with the younger players in mind. There weren’t repetitions for LaMarr Woodley or James Harrisonor James Farrior. No, this was a period where it was more about Baraka Atkins and Jamie McCoy and Chris Carter and Baron Batch.

Atkins (6-foot-4, 268-pounds) was signed as a futures player by the Steelers last January, and the third-year pro from Miami, brought a nice intensity to the drill on Friday night and also enjoyed some success.

McCoy has been doing some nice things over the past several practices, and he continued that. Carter, the fifth-round pick from Fresno State, is learning the outside linebacker spot, and he has flashed some get-to-the-passer skills even while looking undersized compared to the other players at the position.

Batch was the feature attraction of the first backs-on-backers, and he continued to show promise. Tomlin is loathe to hand out any platitudes for Batch when meeting the media, but the seventh-round pick from Texas Tech regularly finds himself matched against the better linebackers. If he’s being tested, he doesn’t seem to have gotten a failing grade yet.

To most, it seemed as though it was simply a normal football practice, but Tomlin sees it as something more.

“It was awesome,” said Tomlin. “It rekindles the love that you have for the game of football, thoughts and experiences that you had as a young guy. The bus ride over, the practice itself, a lot of it’s awesome, and we really appreciate the fans and the energy they bring.”

One of the guests at practice Friday night was Bill Cowher, always a big proponent of having this workout at Latrobe Stadium.

“It’s great for the players, No. 1, because it breaks up the routine,” said Cowher. “You’re under the lights. You’re out here with people, which stimulates you. But it’s also good for the community. We’ve been through this offseason with the uncertainty of football being played, it’s a chance to come out here and see it. Football in Western Pennsylvania is very big, the backbone in the lives of a lot of young men and women and boys. I just always got the feeling, a lot of these guys started this way around the country, they all started on a Friday night on a football field. This kind of reminds them of where they came from.”

INJURY UPDATE: Said Tomlin, “From the injury standpoint, the normal training camp things, the normal guys we’ve mentioned. We have some guys marching back and you saw that we picked up Keenan Lewis. Maurkice Pounceyjust sprained his ankle and it doesn’t seem to be serious. Other than that we’ll keep moving forward.” … Among the players sidelined for the evening were cornerbacks Crezdon Butler, Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, plus tackle Marcus Gilbert, who has yet to practice in pads.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... f07aa397e7 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Friday-night-practice-report/f618df2f-8a6e-4396-ab48-9bf07aa397e7)

fordfixer
08-06-2011, 12:04 AM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 45d849c7d8 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary-/a3254bee-9807-4d78-aab2-9845d849c7d8)

Friday, August 5

The Steelers don’t have a walk-thru on Saturday morning, but that doesn’t mean some players will be sitting idle in their dorm rooms. Instead they will be “extras” in the filming of “The Dark Knight Rises” at Heinz Field.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, linebacker LaMarr Woodley and wide receiver Hines Ward are among the players who will take part, along with some staff members, filming scenes for a football game that will be part of the movie.

"I can`t wait," said Woodley. "I don`t care if they showed me for half a second because I`m going to the movie and now I can look at myself."

The movie, which stars Christian Bale as Batman, has been filming in Pittsburgh and the set moves to Heinz Field on Saturday.

“From what I've heard, it's going to be like a pre-game, warming-up type thing,”' said Roethlisberger. “I don't know the whole concept. There's a Gotham team, a football game. We'll be wearing uniforms. It will be fun.”

Thomas Tull, who is one of the Steelers investors, is the executive producer of the movie.

Secondary coach Carnell Lake might be in his first season on the coaching staff, but he isn’t new to St. Vincent College. Lake played for the Steelers from 1989-98, but even he was surprised by how different things were on campus.

“The heat is familiar but everything else is brand new,” said Lake. “The fields and Chuck Noll Stadium are new. It’s great to see the progress that has happened in the last 10-12 years. Being back brings back a lot of memories”

“They have air conditioning now, which they didn’t when I was here. It’s come a long way. The more comfort you can give guys when they are not on the field the better because they are more well-rested and ready to go.”

Lake also understands what the players are going through during camp as he has been through all of it.

“I know what the young players are going through. I have that perspective,” said Lake. “That hasn’t changed. You see guys with optimism looking into the future and you see guys with some doubt about what is going to happen with me. I saw that and felt that as a player

“You know what they are going through, what their bodies are going through in camp, especially the young guys. You know they are going to feel anxiety. They have a lot going on in their minds, but you get more comfortable as time goes on.”

NFL officials were at practice on Thursday and Friday and meet with the media to talk about the rule changes.

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2011, 02:09 AM
SATURDAY, AUGUST 06, 2011

Weekend news, notes

by Dale Lolley

Friday night at Latrobe High School Stadium, I was told the Steelers would work on goal line plays to end the practice.

Usually, that means putting the ball at the 2 and having the offense try to score.

In this case, it means putting the offense at its own 2 and having it come out of its own end zone.

The first play? An end around to Antonio Brown.

Brown got out of the end zone for about a five-yard gain, but a couple of screen passes were blown up.

It was almost like the Steelers were figuring out what would and would not work in those situations.

Of course, we've seen the team have problems in that same situation in plenty of big games over the past few years, so maybe it wasn't a bad idea.

© Speaking of Brown, he's been very, very active in the first week-plus of training camp. The young receiver is really taking a big step forward, particularly with Hines Ward and Emmanuel Sanders sitting out.

© If you've been following my Tweets or listened to me on the radio, you know I've been impressed with Jamie McCoy, a first-year tight end who spent time with the Rams last season.

At 6-3, 240 pounds, McCoy is a bit undersized, but he's an active blocker.

He'd likely have to make the roster as an h-back and the Steelers already have one of those in David Johnson.

Can McCoy beat out Johnson? Possibly. Johnson has not been as impressive as a blocker as he had been in previous camps.

But it's unlikely that both McCoy and Johnson make the team as backups to Heath Miller.

© Rookie running back Baron Batch is getting plenty of looks. Friday night, he was matched against Lawrence Timmons – the new defensive champion. Coach Mike Tomlin made sure McCoy was matched against Timmons as well.

Both held their own, splitting a pair of reps with Timmons.

Saturday, Batch scored on a pair of goal-line carries in the goal-line drill.

© Jonathan Scott went down Saturday with an ankle injury. You can bet the Steelers were getting ready to dial Max Starks or Flozell Adams.

Tony Hills was his replacement.

It doesn't appear serious, but gives an idea of just how precarious the team's situation is at offensive tackle, particularly left tackle.

© Both Ed Bouchette and Peter King, a pair of Hall of Fame voters, Tweeted Saturday night that they believe Dermontti Dawson will be part of next year's Hall of Fame class.

It's about time.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

fordfixer
08-07-2011, 02:16 AM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 5372fcaf78 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary/6ea8fc9f-bcd1-43a0-83b6-cd5372fcaf78)

Saturday, August 6

The Steelers had off Saturday morning and that gave almost a dozen players the chance to go Hollywood, serving as extras in the filming of “The Dark Knight Rises” at Heinz Field.

According to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the players were in uniform on the sideline for the singing of the National Anthem, with the camera panning across them like on a normal game day.

“It was hurry up and then wait type of thing,” said Roethlisberger, who arrived with his teammates between 6:30-7:00 a.m. “It’s a big production, helicopters flying over taking video. The way they had the field set up, it was neat. That is Thomas (Tull) for you, they do it big. I am sure it will be an amazing movie.”

Defensive end Aaron Smith couldn’t pass up the opportunity to take part since Batman is his son’s Elijah’s favorite superhero.

“He saw the first one but I had to fast forward through some parts,” said Smith. “We will see what this one is like. We will be running fast forward and pause it and let it sit there for a little bit. It will be neat when it comes out.”

Smith said he was amazed at the type of production it was for a scene that might just be a few minutes of the movie.

“It’s neat to see how many people there are,” said Smith. “What is more amazing is how much goes in to a short little bit. You have a 30 second scene and it takes a couple of hours. You go there and see all of these people and stuff. The amount of people you have there for how short an amount of time it might be in the movie.”

Wide receiver Hines Ward stayed behind after most of the players left to film a few extra scenes, along with Bill Cowher, Kevin Colbert, Omar Khan and other Steelers scouts. But none of the players had major roles.

“I told them I don’t want to have to fight Batman or anything,” joked Roethlisberger, “maybe next time.”

In the meantime, they will all enjoy their Hollywood moment.

“I don’t imagine I will get that opportunity too many more times,” said Heath Miller. “It was probably a once in a lifetime opportunity and I think a lot of guys were able to take advantage. I am sure it will be awhile until all is said and done but it will be interesting to see if we make the cut and how we did.”

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King always loves making Steelers training camp one of his stops and this year he made the trip a little more special. King arrived at camp on Saturday in a USO bus, and had some servicemen and women come with him.

King had been looking for a way to travel to training camps in a bus and when he tweeted that is what he was looking to do, the USO stepped up.

“I had no idea what would happen, but it’s been great the way the NFL has welcomed them with open arms,” said King. “The Steelers are doing exactly that. The NFL really does a great job with the military and this is just one example.”

Those attending had the chance to meet a large contingent of Steelers players after practice, getting autographs and posing for pictures with them.

Among the group were three that were selected for their recent heroics, not while deployed but right at their home base when they saved one of their own who suffered a heart attack in the office.

“We were there when it happened and we started CPR,” said Lt. Col. Joe Olszewski with the 171st Air Refueling Wing at Pittsburgh International Airport. “I was there first and did a little bit of CPR to help him out and when the other guys arrived they took over. It wasn’t for those guys he wouldn’t be alive today.”

The other two who rushed to help out were the unit’s firemen/paramedics, Brandon Montrey and John Kovacic.

“Training just kicks in,” said Montrey. “You don’t think about anything that is going on. You know what to do. The training is there. They really beat it in to you. You are prepared for anything that is thrown at you and deal with it as it comes.”

“This is phenomenal,” said Olszewski. “It’s great. It takes me back to when I was a little kid and my dad brought me to camp. To be this close to the Steelers is great. Everyone I have met has been awesome. They have been great.”

Former tight end Jerame Tuman was a spectator at practice today, enjoying watching the team work.

“It’s a great feeling to be back,” said Tuman, who brought his son Canyon with him. “It’s been a few years. There are new buildings. The drive here brought back so many memories. It’s great to be here and bring my son to watch practice.

“It’s a special experience. Any dad would want to bring their son to camp, but this is pretty special.. I think it gives him a better understanding watching.”

Tuman kept a close eye on practice, but did say he watches games now from a fan’s standpoint.

“It’s been a long time since I watched in a meeting room,” said Tuman. “I try to watch from a fans aspect and not break down what is going on. I still enjoy and love watching it.”

Before practice on Friday night the team held a Gatorade Junior Training Camp for kids 6-14. The free camp gave kids a chance to take part in football drills that can be done at any skill level. Players from the Latrobe High School team helped conduct the drills, which included quarterback and receiving drills.

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Continuity what drives Pittsburgh

By Pat Kirwan NFL.com
Senior Analyst
Aug. 6, 2011

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1295326/37077339E.jpg

Pat Kirwan recently visited Steelers camp in Latrobe, Pa. Here's what he saw.

Observation deck

1. Ben Roethlisberger has never looked in better shape. Every year I watch him scramble around the field in the night scrimmage at Latrobe High School, making plays and exciting the fans. Not this year, though, as Roethlisberger consistently stayed in the pocket and drilled receivers with a much quicker and improved release. In the first real two-minute drill of the year against most of the Steelers' first defense, Roethlisberger marched the offense down the field the same way he did to win the Super Bowl against the Cardinals.

2. The cornerback position opposite Ike Taylor will be a battle as camp goes on. Bryant McFadden is the man to beat, but expect competition from rookie third-round pick Curtis Brown.

3. The door is wide open for second-year wide receiver Antonio Brown to shine. Hines Ward hasn't practiced yet and Emmanuel Sanders is recovering from foot surgery, and Brown is taking full advantage of his opportunity. I sat down with Brown on my visit, and I was very impressed with his humble approach and knowledge of the game. He looked almost as fast as Mike Wallace at the scrimmage, driving his route stems deep and catching the ball with ease.

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1295326/37091942E.jpg

The Steelers' William Gay mixes up with Antonio Brown during practice at St. Vincent College

4. The Steelers have expectations for Jason Worilds. The backup outside linebacker to James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, Worilds has "to keep pushing to improve. He's a good player but his game has to take the next step," according to a member of the Steelers organization.

5. It sure looks like wide receiver Arnaz Battle is ahead of Limas Sweed for the fifth wide receiver spot.

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1295326/37110043E.jpg

Steelers receiver Arnaz Battle beats Will Allen during practice at Latrobe Memeorial Stadium

New guys to watch

1. Seventh-round pick Baron Batch, a running back, blocked Harrison well in a blitz pick-up drill and got the attention of the coaches. During the team scrimmage Friday night, Batch blocked every blitzing linebacker extremely well, plus showed running ability and route-running ability.

2. First-round pick Cameron Heyward might not break into the lineup right away at defensive end, but he is impressive. Heyward was in a very similar system at Ohio State that used much of the same terminology. That knowledge shows up in his ability to play fast this early in camp.

Overheard

General manager Kevin Colbert on Harrison's back surgeries: "We're not worried about James, not the way he prepares. We'll be smart with him this summer. He does like to take every rep in practice, but he realizes he has to be smart."

Prediction

The Steelers return all 22 starters from last season and are loaded with quality backups. They practice like they had a full complement of mini-camps and organized team activities. There's no reason this team can't win the division and focus its sights on a trip to Indianapolis for the Super Bowl. The head coach, coordinators and assistant coaches also all return, giving them the ideal combination to deal with a lockout-shortened preseason.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/stor...ves-pittsburgh

hawaiiansteel
08-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Practice report for Aug. 8

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1295326/37110059E.jpg

LATROBE, Pa. – Mike Tomlin always includes what he calls competition periods within every practice session. As Monday’s afternoon practice showed, not every competition period involves players crashing into one another.

“Good, spirited work today and just continuing with our team building process,” said Tomlin. “As we move into this week, of course, we’re facing a game opportunity at the end of the week (on Friday against the Redskins at FedEx Field). I think it is important that we ratchet it up and I think the group did that. We challenged them in that way and we’ll just continue on doing so. We’re going to be evaluated in some form or fashion here at the end of the week. I think their work displayed that today.”

One of the more interesting portions of practice here today was a red zone passing drill, in which the receivers and tight ends were matched up against linebackers and defensive backs. Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwichand Dennis Dixon were the three quarterbacks who participated.

On the first repetition of the drill, Roethlisberger hit Hines Ward on a slant over the middle, between the safeties, for what appeared to be a touchdown. Ward had come off the physically unable to perform list earlier in the day and was taking part in his first practice of this camp.

On the next play, Roethlisberger again looked for Ward, but the pass fell incomplete because the timing was off. It seemed as though Ward didn’t get his head around in time to see the ball.

“He looked like Hines and that’s what we expect,” said Tomlin. “It’s great to have him back out here, not only in terms of what he’s capable of but his outlook and energy that he brings to the game. He’s a leader for us, of course.”

On the next play, Roethlisberger couldn’t find anyone open, and he threw the ball away. Then on each of the next two plays, Roethlisberger went to Heath Miller, and the offense scored both times. On the first, Miller got inside rookie outside linebacker Chris Carter to make the catch, and on the second he used his body to shield off cornerback Keenan Lewis for the reception.

On came Leftwich with the second group. On the first attempt, Wes Lyonscouldn’t make a diving catch, and on the second attempt Leftwich’s bullet went off Lyons’ hands. On the third play, Leftwich completed a pass to Tyler Grisham over the middle, with inside linebacker Mortty Ivycoming over and making contact at about the 2-yard line. On Leftwich’s final attempt, his fade pattern for Eric Greenwood was incomplete with Ike Taylor in coverage.

Dixon’s first pass was a short completion to undrafted rookie Terrence McCrae, and on the next play Dixon again went to McCrae but this time the receiver dropped the ball. On the third play, Dixon threw a beautiful pass to the back corner of the end zone, but free agent rookie tight end Weslye Saunders couldn’t make the play. It was impressive that Dixon was able to get the ball through the coverage and to a spot where Saunders could get his hands on the ball.

On the final play of the drill, Dixon couldn’t find anyone open and then was tagged by defensive end Cameron Heyward for a sack.

To summarize, Roethlisberger completed 3-of-5, Leftwich was 1-for-4, and Dixon was 1-for-3 with a sack.

INJURY UPDATE: Said Tomlin, “Normal laundry list of injuries and so forth: Limas Sweed wasn’t able to finish but he did start the practice with that shoulder; Marcus Gilbert is crawling his way back and was able to participate in a limited fashion, as were others who went through individuals. Crezdon Butler and some of those other guys have training camp-like injuries. We’ll continue to get those guys back and also the guys that are healthy will continue to take advantage of the opportunities that those injuries present.” … Another player who returned to practice was Maurkice Pouncey.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 114913d404 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Practice-report-for-Aug-8/f170dbc7-b5d9-4f00-93dc-28114913d404)

fordfixer
08-09-2011, 12:18 AM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 206986df2f (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary/5f590d52-73c0-4725-ac73-9c206986df2f)

Monday, August 8

The Steelers made it through practice on Monday despite raindrops falling off and on throughout the afternoon.

But after everyone was off the field and headed to dinner, the skies opened up with rain coming down so hard some of the roads on campus were flooding.

Players were coming in the cafeteria dripping wet and using everything they could to shield themselves from the rain with little success.

Among the visitors at camp today was Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett.

“This is my first Steelers camp that I have ever been to,” said Corbett. “We were in Pittsburgh today. I had a couple of meetings there. It’s easy to come here on the way back to Harrisburg.

Corbett, who is from Shaler, is a Steelers fan and was decked out in a Steelers polo and hat.

“Everybody rallies around the Steelers,” said Corbett. “It’s great to be able to come back and see some of the guys. The first thing I did when I moved into the Governor’s residence, it was during the playoffs, is I put up a sign that said you are in Steelers Country in the middle of the state dining room so they knew which part of the state was working its way to the Super Bowl.”

Running back Mewelde Moore didn’t re-sign with the Steelers until after training camp started, but the veteran could not have imagined himself leaving the Steelers via free agency.

“It’s the Steelers; it’s home,” said Moore “That’s how it is in the heart. It’s a no-brainer with that. I am happy to be back here working.

“I am here. I am happy. That is the most important thing. I am looking forward to the season.”

Moore, who is entering his eighth season in the NFL, has become the veteran among the running backs and even he had to laugh when he referred to rookie Baron Batch as a “kid.”

“You blink your eye, turn around and you are the vet in the classroom,” said Moore. “I don’t feel any different. I am just happy to continuously play.”

And speaking of Batch, the rookie is getting a lot of praise for his performance, especially in the backs-on-backer and goal-line drills. But you won’t hear him praising his performance.

“Physically I don’t have any problem playing at this level,” said Batch. “The mental aspect is probably the biggest change, learning the plays in a condensed amount of time. I have to clean it up and quit making so many mental errors.

“You see this stuff and think he did good on backs-on-backers. That stuff doesn’t matter to me much. If I get in team and miss a blitz, that’s all it takes to get a quarterback hurt. It’s more the mental side of things and making sure I am consistent.”

Former Steelers safety Myron Bell is at training camp, working with the coaching staff to try and pick up some tips as he has been coaching high school and Pop Warner football.

“I just wanted to get up here and get involved and learn some new things and refresh on some old things,” said Bell. “I love it. This is my summer vacation. It’s an awesome time to be here, especially under Coach (Mike) Tomlin.”

Bell said he always enjoys being around the team and hopes to continue to stay involved.

“Before Mr. Rooney drafted me I was already a Steelers fan so I guess I will die a Steelers fan,” said Bell.

hawaiiansteel
08-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Practice report for Aug. 9

LATROBE, Pa. – The Steelers clinched the AFC North Division championship in Baltimore because they were good at it. They won Super Bowl XLIII because they were good at it. And the only way a team gets good at it is to practice it.

“We specialized in two-minute football today,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “We had a little success on offense with the first group and some success on defense with the second group. There was ebb-and-flow, and that’s what this is about in terms of our team building. I liked the energy and enthusiasm and we’re just going to continue to press on toward (the preseason opener in Washington on) Friday night.”

As Tomlin explained, the major competitive period on Tuesday afternoon at Saint Vincent College was the two-minute drill, and the precise circumstances were these: 1:21 on the clock, ball at your own 40-yard line, one timeout.

Ben Roethlisberger worked with the first group, and it turned out to be a pretty efficient showing. On first down, Roethlisberger completed a 17-yard pass to Heath Miller, and then with the clock still running, Roethlisberger hustled the offense to the line of scrimmage and completed a 7-yard pass to Arnaz Battle.

On that play to Battle, Lawrence Timmons flashed up the middle on a blitz and had it been a live tackling drill he might have had a sack. But then on second-and-4 from the 36-yard line, Roethlisberger found Tyler Grishamdeep down the left sideline for the touchdown.

http://photos.triblive.com/photos/PITT/1295326/37059064E.jpg

Then came the second group, and Dennis Dixon was the quarterback this time. Same circumstances – 1:21 to play with one timeout and the ball on the 40-yard line.

Dixon started with a 4-yard completion to undrafted rookie Armand Robinson from Miami (Ohio), and then with the clock running he converted with a 6-yard pass to Robinson.

On first-and-10 from the 50-yard line, Dixon completed an 18-yard pass to Robinson. On the next play, Dixon threw incomplete, and it was another of those situations where a blitzing linebacker might have had a sack. This time it was Stevenson Sylvester.

On second-and-10 from the 32-yard line with 18 seconds left, Dixon couldn’t find an open receiver and so he scrambled out of the pocket and ran for 13 yards before calling a timeout. There were 11 seconds left at that point, and on first-and-10 from the 19-yard line, second-year linebacker Jason Worildsended the drill with a sack.

“I’m not concerned about it based on where I would normally be this time of year,” said Tomlin about his team’s readiness on the eve of the preseason opener. “I’m concerned about it relative to the people we compete against. We’re all faced with the same obstacles, and that makes it fair and that’s what we need to do. If we focused on how we felt this time of year in past years, all of us would be extremely frustrated. That would be naïve.”

INJURY UPDATE: Said Tomlin, “On the injury front, we’ve got some guys working their way back, partially participating and fully participating; some of the guys we’ve talked about over the last couple days. Some new additions: Weslye Saunders has a tight groin and Jason Worilds has the same thing. Normal training camp things and these guys need to take care of themselves so they can show what they’re capable of. Mike Wallace had a tight groin. We wanted to exercise a little precaution there and stay ahead of the fatigue curve with him and we gave him a day. Ramon (Foster) might have partially participated today. He’s working his way back. He’ll be back to us here soon. He had a mild concussion, if there is such a thing.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 59d86e5511 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Practice-report-for-Aug-9/388228c0-689c-4380-b99c-3559d86e5511)

fordfixer
08-10-2011, 01:30 AM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... e3e1435c47 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary/4ef59e8b-ce5e-4072-88d1-5ee3e1435c47)

Tuesday, August 9

The Steelers made it through their morning walk-thru without any weather problems, but shortly after lunch the skies opened up. And when I say opened up, it was almost as if buckets of water were just being dumped out. It didn’t take long for areas of campus to be flooded and those who were out in the weather were absolutely drenched.

It was Steelers Kids Club Day at training camp, with members from all over coming to St. Vincent College for a day of Steelers football. And while the weather threw a few curveballs at the plans for the day, it didn’t change any of the fun the kids had.

Things kicked off with center Maurkice Pouncey conducting a “press conference” with the kids, giving them the opportunity to ask him questions.

“Some of the questions were a little difficult,” said Pouncey.”It’s always a good time to come in and give them a little knowledge. They really like the Steelers players.”

Members of the athletic training staff taught the kids about what they do, as well as providing some demonstrations which included taping ankles. Strength and conditioning assistant Marcel Pastoor spoke to the kids, stressing the importance of conditioning and hydration for professional athletes as well as young athletes.

Secondary coach Carnell Lake and director of football operations Kevin Colbert also shared some insight into camp with the kids and took questions from them.

After getting the inside scoop from everyone, the kids headed to the field where they greeted the players as they came down for practice. And it was an interesting greeting, as players were getting off of golf carts and out of vans because they weren’t able to walk across the grass fields because of the amount of rain that had fallen. Instead they were driven directly to the turf field.

Coach Mike Tomlin came over to the group and welcomed them, getting the kids fired up – as if they weren’t already.

It was then off to the locker room for a tour and then fun and games at the Steelers Experience.

“I think back to when I was a kid and the true love of the game,” said Aaron Smith, who was one of the players greeting the kids. “They know everything about every player. That is the ultimate fan. I used to try and be like my favorite player. Kids are where the future is at.”

fordfixer
08-11-2011, 01:27 AM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 835e2901fb (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary/67e82aae-2c0d-47f9-92a8-8b835e2901fb)

Wednesday, August 10

The smiles on the faces of the kids from Variety the Children’s Charity were about the only thing brighter than the brilliant sunshine this afternoon as they first watched practice and then later had the opportunity to meet Steelers players.

“It always gave me great perspective as a player and gives me more now as a father of three,” said former Steelers long snapper Mike Schneck, now the President of the charity’s board. “We all take this for granted. I have seen practice before, but this is a big deal for the kids. They talk about it for years to come. It’s really special for them.”

Running back Baron Batch was helped off the field late in practice on Wednesday with what appeared to be a knee injury. Batch was taken off the field on a cart, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger helped him to the cart and offered him some words of encouragement.

“You don’t like to see anybody go down. It’s family so you want to go down and see how he is doing,” said Roethlisberger.

On Tuesday Roethlisberger was talking about Mike Wallace’s development and how he has picked up more routes since his rookie season.

Today, Wallace said he had even more of them down than Roethlisberger initially said and is now set with all of the routes.

“I run all of the patterns now,” said Wallace. “We don’t have too many. I run about 15. I probably had about five my first year, about 12 last year. It’s pretty much everything.

“It’s hard when you are coming in but now I know all of the other things it’s not hard at all.”

Fellow second-year receiver Antonio Brown, who has been getting a lot of work in camp, said he doesn’t look at the depth at the position but just focuses on what is most important.

“I am focusing on the little things and on my job,” said Brown. “Doing what I have to do to stay where I am at.”

During camp it’s not unusual to see former Steelers players on the sidelines watching practice and this week has been no different.

Former defensive end Rodney Bailey, who played for the team 2001-03 and 2006, was among the visitors, taking in practice and reconnecting with former teammates.

“This is the first time back since 2006 when I played here that I have been here,” said Bailey. “It’s really hard not to run on the field. It’s great to see Coach (John) Mitchell and all my old buddies I played with like Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel and Chris Hoke.”

While some things have changed since Bailey was there, a lot has remained the same.

“I hear some calls and remember them right away,” said Bailey. “I can do these plays in my sleep. It’s great being here.

“The Steelers organization is a family. Whether you played for other teams like I did or not, this is home. It’s the only place I call home.”

Another former player at camp was linebacker Bryan Hinkle, who played for the team from 1982-93. Hinkle was at camp with his son Bryce and enjoyed sharing the experience with the six-year old.

“I came one other time when Cowher was coach,” said Hinkle. “It was 1994 or 1995. I don’t think I stayed for the whole practice. Now I have my six-year old son and I can share it with him. It’s invaluable to be able to share this with him and show him the things I did.”

Hinkle said the changes from when he was a player until now are immense, but are good changes.

“It’s like night and day,” said Hinkle. “It’s like from when I played to the 1960s. There are new dorms, fields, this is great. The game changes and life goes on.”

fordfixer
08-12-2011, 03:02 AM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 835e2901fb (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary/67e82aae-2c0d-47f9-92a8-8b835e2901fb)

Wednesday, August 10

The smiles on the faces of the kids from Variety the Children’s Charity were about the only thing brighter than the brilliant sunshine this afternoon as they first watched practice and then later had the opportunity to meet Steelers players.

“It always gave me great perspective as a player and gives me more now as a father of three,” said former Steelers long snapper Mike Schneck, now the President of the charity’s board. “We all take this for granted. I have seen practice before, but this is a big deal for the kids. They talk about it for years to come. It’s really special for them.”

Running back Baron Batch was helped off the field late in practice on Wednesday with what appeared to be a knee injury. Batch was taken off the field on a cart, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger helped him to the cart and offered him some words of encouragement.

“You don’t like to see anybody go down. It’s family so you want to go down and see how he is doing,” said Roethlisberger.

On Tuesday Roethlisberger was talking about Mike Wallace’s development and how he has picked up more routes since his rookie season.

Today, Wallace said he had even more of them down than Roethlisberger initially said and is now set with all of the routes.

“I run all of the patterns now,” said Wallace. “We don’t have too many. I run about 15. I probably had about five my first year, about 12 last year. It’s pretty much everything.

“It’s hard when you are coming in but now I know all of the other things it’s not hard at all.”

Fellow second-year receiver Antonio Brown, who has been getting a lot of work in camp, said he doesn’t look at the depth at the position but just focuses on what is most important.

“I am focusing on the little things and on my job,” said Brown. “Doing what I have to do to stay where I am at.”

During camp it’s not unusual to see former Steelers players on the sidelines watching practice and this week has been no different.

Former defensive end Rodney Bailey, who played for the team 2001-03 and 2006, was among the visitors, taking in practice and reconnecting with former teammates.

“This is the first time back since 2006 when I played here that I have been here,” said Bailey. “It’s really hard not to run on the field. It’s great to see Coach (John) Mitchell and all my old buddies I played with like Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel and Chris Hoke.”

While some things have changed since Bailey was there, a lot has remained the same.

“I hear some calls and remember them right away,” said Bailey. “I can do these plays in my sleep. It’s great being here.

“The Steelers organization is a family. Whether you played for other teams like I did or not, this is home. It’s the only place I call home.”

Another former player at camp was linebacker Bryan Hinkle, who played for the team from 1982-93. Hinkle was at camp with his son Bryce and enjoyed sharing the experience with the six-year old.

“I came one other time when Cowher was coach,” said Hinkle. “It was 1994 or 1995. I don’t think I stayed for the whole practice. Now I have my six-year old son and I can share it with him. It’s invaluable to be able to share this with him and show him the things I did.”

Hinkle said the changes from when he was a player until now are immense, but are good changes.

“It’s like night and day,” said Hinkle. “It’s like from when I played to the 1960s. There are new dorms, fields, this is great. The game changes and life goes on.”

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2011, 11:55 PM
BTSC Interviews Dale Lolley as Steelers Prepare to Break Camp

by Michael Bean on Aug 16, 2011

1) The Steeler secondary looked alarmingly mediocre again against the Redskins, particularly on third down. Should that be a cause for worry?

Lolley: Not really. Troy Polamalu and Bryant McFadden didn't play. Ike Taylor played sparingly before breaking his thumb. So really, you had William Gay and a bunch of guys who aren't going to make this team out there running around. Add very little pass rush because Washington was running a lot of three-step drops, and you have a combination for trouble.

2) Did anyone look good in the game film that we might have missed? Certainly there had to be some guys who did well and completed their assignments? Who were they outside of Isaac Redman and Antonio Brown who obviously played well. Were there any other rookies or young guys that held their own?

Lolley: Tony Hills was excellent, earning himself a shot at the RG starting spot. First-year linebacker Morty Ivy showed up quite a bit, as did young safety Da'mon Cromartie-Smith. Of the rookies, the one who jumped out the most - outside of Cam Heyward - was Miguel Chavis, a defensive end out of Clemson. He's a bit undersized, but could be practice squad material.

3) What's up with Worilds?

Lolley: He, as much as any of the second-year guys, has really suffered from the lack of OTAs in the offseason. Remember, he is a converted college DE and is still learning how to play OLB. He shows some promise at times, but also still has his struggles. He's not Alonzo Jackson - yet.

4) How did Tomlin and the coaching staff handled the ass-whuppin'? Was there any change in attitude, or did they consider the results of the game meaningless? Are they worried that they had a talent competition and nobody won?

Lolley: They didn't consider it meaningless, but they didn't game plan at all for Washington. They were also missing five or six starters, while Washington played their starters the entire first half. It was a preseason game; nothing more, nothing less.

5) Any sense on how James Harrison's back is progressing? Fans understandably just assume that the beast of a backer will be ready to go come September 11th, but multiple back surgeries don't sound too fun or easy to recover from for anyone, let alone a man his age.

Lolley: He hasn't shown his usual explosiveness in the one-on-one drills. And his leg power isn't where it needs to be yet. But he's getting stronger by the day. Thursday's game at Philadelphia will be a nice test.

6) It might just be my imagination, but seems like there has been much less reporting on the work of the special teams this camp. Would that be a correct assessment firstly, and if so, what might you attribute that to? No two-a-days? I ask because improving the play of the special teams was obviously a priority after the '09 fiasco, and that improvement definitely played a big role in the team's success in '10. Is it being emphasized by Tomlin but just not making headlines?

Lolley: In previous seasons, the Steelers did much of their special teams work during the morning practice, which was open to reporters. This year, the morning practice, which is considered a walkthrough, is closed to reporters. They've done some special teams work in the afternoon, but the bulk of it is still in the morning. Hence, less reporting on special teams work.

8) Sounds like Tony Hills is looking good. Buy or sell his chances to contribute as a starter at right guard? What about his chances to hold down the fort much like Jonathan Scott did in Max Starks' absence last year were either Scott or Willie Colon to get injured in '11?

Lolley: Hills has gotten much stronger since arriving here as a rookie. His injury problems at Texas are also behind him. He's got the pedigree and he told me today he spent the offseason doing MMA workouts to improve his work with his hands. I think he could wind up being the starting RG and be the guy who moves out to tackle in case of injury.

9) Seems odd Max Starks isn't on a new team yet. I'm no huge proponent of Starks' ability -- at least not at the pay scale he was previously compensated at. But obviously he's shown enough to find a new job somewhere by now. Still feel like he's a solid bet to be headed back to Pittsburgh?

Lolley: There's still a chance. The Steelers have a little over $4 million in cap space remaining. Some of that could be eaten up by an extension to Troy Polamalu, but some could be used to bring Starks back. Because of the neck injury, he wasn't able to work out in the offseason and his weight got up to around 400 pounds. But he's been working out and is getting back to where he needs to be.

10) I've read conflicting reports now about Chris Carter -- some glowing, some not so positive. The negative reports though did come at the beginning of camp -- has he shown legit improvement and promise in your eyes this last week or so?

Lolley: He seemed a little overwhelmed early in camp. But as things progressed, his quickness started to show. He's got some natural pass rushing ability. That said, he's undersized at this point. He's listed at nearly 250 pounds, but doesn't look the part. He needs to get stronger, but you can see why the Steelers liked him.

11) What changes, if anything, about the team's practice schedule once they head home from Latrobe on Thursday?

Lolley: Once they leave camp, they go to more of a regimented schedule to get them in tune with what they'll do in the regular season. They'll start working off their regular season schedule more and maybe even through in some film study for week 1 against Baltimore as things progress.

12) I was enjoying a beer at my neighborhood bar this evening when I saw some random crappy program on ESPN that was listing the 'Top 5 WR Fantasy Sleepers' for 2011. Guess who was No. 1? Emmanuel Sanders. As much as I might love for that to be true, I am quite concerned about Sanders' lingering foot issues. Any updates in that department? Not to put you on the spot to play team physician, but based on your experience covering the league, are you at all concerned that this injury might seriously limit his ability to even suit up consistently in '11, let alone put up the kind of numbers that would warrant inclusion on any sort of 'fantasy sleeper' list?

Lolley: I think Sanders will be a contributor in 2011, but the foot injury will keep him from having the breakout year he may have had. Antonio Brown has earned the right to steal some game reps from him and the injury forced the team to go out and get Jerricho Cotchery as well. He worked hard in the offseason, but, so did Brown. I don't see him being the breakout fantasy player he may have been without the injury.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/8/16/2366637/steelers-news-training-camp-preseason-polamalu-james-harrison-ike-taylor#storyjump)

fordfixer
08-17-2011, 12:30 AM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... bd58faa1ae (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Training-Camp-Diary/d5a62b99-6184-4eab-83b2-77bd58faa1ae)

Tuesday, August 16

The Steelers will soon be heading home from camp and for most of them, sleeping in their own beds is the one thing they have missed the most.

“I definitely missed my bed,” said running back Jonathan Dwyer. “And just being at home and having your own space.”

Others agreed.

“I am looking forward to sleeping in my bed,” said cornerback William Gay. “I don’t get a special bed here at camp. I sleep in the little dorm beds.”

“I definitely want to sleep in my own bed,” said wide receiver Hines Ward. “It’s the feeling of being at home. Getting in the car and going to work and not riding the carts around campus.”

While their own bed was the overwhelming answer on what they were looking forward to getting back to, cornerback Bryant McFadden had another thing he was missing.

“Extended cable,” said McFadden. “I want more channels.”

Even though the players are looking forward to getting back to the comforts of home, they still like having training camp in the setting at St. Vincent College where they can get away from everything.

“I know a lot of players gripe about it, but this is where you build the foundation,” said Ward. “You are eating together, always around guys, and building the team. You have it at the facility you lose out on that. It’s always been great to have camp to go away and be able to focus on football for a few weeks.”

It’s that closeness, the isolation from the outside world that helps build the foundation.

“It’s always fun to come to Latrobe, get away and bond with each other,” said Gay. “You just see each other every day. You look forward to it each year.”

Six Super Bowl championship seasons began on the fields at St. Vincent and that isn’t lost on the players.

“We have been doing it here for so long,” said McFadden. “It’s a tradition. I think if it was any other place it would feel abnormal. A lot of great teams have come here and prepared for a season. It gets you in the football mindset. It’s good for the team.”

Dwyer is only in his second season with the Steelers, but he understands the tradition as well.

“It would be weird if we didn’t have camp here,” said Dwyer. “It’s a tradition to come here, stay in Rooney Hall and have the fans here. It wouldn’t be right not to.”

Former offensive guard Carlton Haselrig, who played for the Steelers from 1990-93, was at practice on Tuesday, his first time back since his playing days.

“It brings back a lot of great memories,” said Haselrig, as he sat above Chuck Noll Field taking it all in. “It puts me in that same mindset of when I was a young guy coming up here, being in awe of all of the things that goes along with the Steelers.”

Haselrig brought his two kids with him, who were thrilled to get an inside look at camp.

“I am seeing it through the eyes of my kids,” said Haselrig. “It has changed a great deal for the better. The weather is beautiful. You can see the mountains over there.

“It’s great sharing it with my kids. I see the awe in their faces. To have them be around it and see it makes me feel good.”

With camp coming to an end it has been another great one here at St. Vincent College. The St. Vincent staff is fantastic, from Father Paul, to management, to the cafeteria crew who are so kind to everyone, the cleaning staff and everyone on campus. It’s a great summer home for the team.

And of course the security, Steelers Experience and camp office staff also did a great job.