PDA

View Full Version : Per Lance Zeirlein tweet, Colon signs with Steelers

Steelgal
07-28-2011, 06:14 PM
LanceZierlein

Just confirmed with Willie Colon that he got a "fair deal" from Steelers and is indeed staying with Steelers.

Steelgal
07-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Don't know accuracy of this, but found this on the Scout Steeler's board.

T Willie Colon resigns with the Steelers - 5 years, $29 million

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Don't know accuracy of this, but found this on the Scout Steeler's board.

T Willie Colon resigns with the Steelers - 5 years, $29 million

Dayum...that Achilles better be back to normal. I would have welcomed this signing before the injury, but now I have questions...want to see what he looks like on the field after a year off. Hopefully the signing bonus is not all that much, so that if the Achilles issue lingers, we can cut bait without a huge dead money cap hit.

D Rock
07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
LaCanfora is reporting the 5 years/ 29 mil contract as well

steelerkeylargo
07-28-2011, 07:18 PM
5 years 29 mil. :Cheers

steelerkeylargo
07-28-2011, 07:20 PM
just saw the other thread sorry.

pfelix73
07-28-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm sure his health is fine... Good news....

:tt1

BURGH86STEEL
07-28-2011, 08:04 PM
The bonus money is the key to the signing. The Steelers must believe the injury won't be much of a factor heading into the future.

AkronSteel
07-28-2011, 08:27 PM
I love this deal!!! Things are starting to come together for us for sure! Colon will stabilize at least one of the positions on the right side of the line!!! It would be awesome if we could hold onto Flozell as well and then have Colon and Flozell on the right side together!!! One can dream!!!

BradshawsHairdresser
07-28-2011, 08:39 PM
I love this deal!!! Things are starting to come together for us for sure! Colon will stabilize at least one of the positions on the right side of the line!!! It would be awesome if we could hold onto Flozell as well and then have Colon and Flozell on the right side together!!! One can dream!!!

Have the Steelers made any indication that they are planning to line up "Colon and Flozell on the right side together"? I've never heard that they are looking at Colon as anything but a tackle. I don't think they're giving him $6 million per to experiment with him at guard.

AkronSteel
07-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I don't think the Steelers have ever mentioned it but it would be nice to have both of them over there. They would definitely be able to run the ball that way for sure! Colon, at least in my opinion, would fit well at guard! He doesn't have the best feet but if he is in at guard that is not as much of an issue!! Plus, if you notice.....I did say one can dream!!! It is what I would like to see, but you're probably right! Colon will probably go in at RT and we will see Flozell go out the door and Foster at RG.

papillon
07-28-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm guessing that Flozell is a cut and re-sign at a lower number to be the backup. At some point the Steelers have to start freeing money to get under the cap. 10 million over to start and signed Colon and Ike. Rumors had it that Woodley's long term deal was supposed to be done today, that should help a little. El and Spaeth were released, I don't know what that was worth cap wise, but it couldn't have been too much. Some veterans have to be wondering what's going to happen: Hoke, Smith, Foote, Madison, etc.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm guessing that Flozell is a cut and re-sign at a lower number to be the backup. At some point the Steelers have to start freeing money to get under the cap. 10 million over to start and signed Colon and Ike. Rumors had it that Woodley's long term deal was supposed to be done today, that should help a little. El and Spaeth were released, I don't know what that was worth cap wise, but it couldn't have been too much. Some veterans have to be wondering what's going to happen: Hoke, Smith, Foote, Madison, etc.

Pappy

Hoke and Madison are free agents, so they currently count for zero on the cap.

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2011, 09:29 PM

Have the Steelers made any indication that they are planning to line up "Colon and Flozell on the right side together"? I've never heard that they are looking at Colon as anything but a tackle. I don't think they're giving him $6 million per to experiment with him at guard.

On the Steelers: Business as usual for Tomlin
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed/Post-GazetteSteelers coach Mike Tomlin: "The better we do at making the irregular regular, I think is going to increase our chances of winning."NEW ORLEANS -- Lockout? What lockout? Mike Tomlin's routine as Steelers coach hasn't changed much since the Super Bowl, and he has spent little time worrying whether it will.

As a matter of fact, he believes a long, protracted lockout might give the Steelers a competitive edge, provided the NFL winds up playing football in 2011.

How? He has a veteran team and a veteran coaching staff that played through the Super Bowl Feb. 6 and would not be doing much anyway right now.

"The better we do at making the irregular regular, I think is going to increase our chances of winning," Tomlin explained. "So you know that's going to be our mentality in Pittsburgh."

While a division rival like Cleveland must contend with a new head coach and staff, and another in Cincinnati must deal with its veteran quarterback who has vowed never to play again for the Bengals, the Steelers remain consistent in personnel and coaching.

That could provide a big edge if the NFL owners' lockout continues into the summer, along with it the inability of coaches to speak with their players, never mind institute new systems on offense and/or defense.

Tomlin said his players also know what it is like to prepare in the offseason, even if they cannot do so at the Steelers' training facility or under supervision from the staff.

"We have a veteran laden group with really good leadership," Tomlin said at a coaches breakfast Tuesday morning at the NFL meetings. "A little extra is required when you're trying to find a winning edge, a winning formula, and that is something our guys embrace."

The previous time the Steelers played in the Super Bowl two years ago, Tomlin pushed his offseason program back a little and had those players who saw more time in games report to spring workouts later.

That was to be the plan again this year.

"To this point it hasn't been very different at all. Our offseason program generally starts around the middle of March. We have a veteran outfit, and our veterans usually don't start at the very beginning. Couple that with the fact I've been on the road at the Pro Days, it really hasn't been very different."

Tomlin has visited five draft prospects' pro workouts with Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations. He plans to visit two more, plus the Steelers will begin entertaining draft prospects at their facility on the South Side next week. Each team is permitted 30 player visits.

"I sit down with all of those in my office," Tomlin said.

During a lockout, no one from management or the coaching staff is permitted to speak with their players, who also are not permitted to visit the training facility or even the trainers' room to rehab injuries. Other than that, there has been little difference for Tomlin in the 12 days of the lockout, mainly because the April draft remains the lone permitted football activity under the expired collective bargaining agreement.

"I'm really not concerned about some of the other stuff going on. I've got no control over it, so I'm in a wait-and-see mentality like everybody else. ... Whatever the circumstances are, we're all going to have to deal with it so, from that standpoint, it's going to be fair."

Tomlin's take on Ward
It had nothing to do with the lockout, but Tomlin did not see Hines Ward's "Dancing With the Stars" debut Monday night.

"I'm not a big television watcher," said Tomlin, who was eating dinner during Ward's competition. "I don't even know what time it comes on. I got a few texts last night, and that's the only reason that I knew it was on. I think everybody was pretty encouraging about his performance. They said he did a nice job, but that doesn't surprise me.

"Man, I wouldn't count Hines out of any competition. If there was a brain surgery competition I'm sure he'd educate himself and compete."

Would he like to see him go the whole way?

"Sure, as long as it doesn't conflict with what I've got going on. At this point, it doesn't look like it's going to conflict with what I've got going on."

Quick hits
On the health status of tackles Max Starks (neck surgery) and Willie Colon (Achilles surgery), Tomlin said "all things were encouraging" the last time he had contact with them before the lockout. "I think they're progressing well; we're moving forward in anticipation that will be the situation." ... Tomlin said he would not close the door on Colon playing guard (provided he does not leave as a free agent). ...On the health of Troy Polamalu, bothered by a foot injury the final two months of the season: "I haven't talked to Troy that much, and that's not out of the ordinary this time of year. He might be in a monastery." ... Tomlin said he is comfortable with the progress of punter Daniel Sepulveda, who missed last season with his third torn ACL since his final college season, but also mentioned that Jeremy Kapinos "did a nice job for us. ... We have some options there, and looking at the draft pool is one of them."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11082/1133941-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

papillon
07-28-2011, 09:30 PM

Pappy

Hoke and Madison are free agents, so they currently count for zero on the cap.

Re-signing them may be a luxury the Steelers can't afford and that is unfortunate in Chris Hoke's case. He has been a solid backup and rotating NT with Casey.

I still think there has to be a major surprise coming this year.

Pappy

insanesteelersfan
07-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Has anyone ever heard of any player coming back and playing well off a major Achillies Injury ? Cause I sure as heck can't. It was the same Injury that K.Simmons suffered here, and he never played again, right ? So, is there anyone who has ?

Djfan
07-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I still think there has to be a major surprise coming this year.

Pappy

Predict it Pappy!!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-28-2011, 11:43 PM

Pappy

The Steelers do not spend money like this without a plan. These deals are affordable for them.

sentinel33
07-28-2011, 11:46 PM
sweet again

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Colon's Hometown Discount No Surprise

by Homer J. on Jul 29, 2011

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1661066/GYI0063276512.jpg

Many self-styled experts expressed surprise that Willie Colon left three million dollars on the table to sign with his beloved Steelers. He could have signed with the Bears and been paid a cool three million more over the length of a five year contract.

Of course, long term contracts aren't always what they seem to be, and money in the final years is often funny money, subject to all kinds of eventualities and often not guaranteed. But still, there's no question that Willie left a lot of money on the table to stay with the Black and Gold.

The Hometown Discount is a reality in Pittsburgh, and is one of the topics covered in an article this poster wrote for this year's Steelers Annual, published by Maple Street Press. The article quotes NFL superagent Ralph Cindrich, who represents James Farrior and a number of other top NFL stars. Here is a portion of the article, written last month, and appearing soon on news stands in Steeler Country....

HOMETOWN DISCOUNT

“Without question, players prefer to play in Pittsburgh,” observes Cindrich. “Sometimes they’ll look for bigger money, but they’ll probably play more, play longer, win more, and enjoy the game more because of the organization.”

Cindrich, recalls that one of his clients, James Farrior, had hoped to sign a deal before the final year of his previous contract.

“They said they couldn’t do it. He said no problem. After the season, they gave him a deal.”

Is there a hometown discount? Can the Steelers actually sign players for less?

“No doubt that’s the case,” says Cindrich. “When you look at it, the after tax dollars, cost of living, there’s no comparison. It’s silly when a guy wants to leave this organization.”

Of course, pro football is a tough business, and there are times when players - even stars - are let go, often for salary cap reasons. Those decisions are among the most difficult a team must make. Players on successful teams are the most desirable free agents, and yet the Steelers have done far better than most teams in making these difficult decisions. Few players leave on bad terms and most reconcile and are welcomed back. Some are welcomed back before they retire, which speaks volumes.

The article goes into the myriad of reasons why Pittsburgh is widely considered to be the primo place to work in the NFL, and how the organization and the values set down by the Chief continue today.

It deals with how there are three major components to all this........1) the Steeler organization and front office, 2) the Steeler players and alumni, and 3) the surrounding community and Steeler Nation.

Ralph Cindrich says his clients and the Steeler players he knows all consider Pittsburgh the best place in the league to work, adding there isn't even a close second.

What we have seen with the signings of Ike Taylor, Willie Colon, and the other offensive linemen is vindication of the Rooney Way. These guys eat in the same cafeteria line with Art (and Dan) Rooney, are treated with respect, and are part of something much bigger than themselves. They have been through a time of great uncertainty during the lockout, and want to get back to their football family.

Steeler players are coveted around the league. They are known as winners and team players. In free agent bidding, they often command a premium. Winners often do. Hell, there's even a Home for Old Steelers. It's in Arizona.

But, as we have seen in the past three days, talk of loyalty and Hometown Discounts is much more than talk.

Top quality free agents have the freedom to choose their employer. That's a freedom many of us can only dream of. We all know that sometimes it's better to work for less money in a place where you are happy, rather than risk that happiness for more money by working somewhere else.

Up to now, we were never able to put a number to it.

Willie Colon just did.

Welcome back, Willie. We missed you last year.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... #storyjump (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/7/29/2302705/colons-hometown-discount-no-surprise-to-btsc#storyjump)