PDA

View Full Version : Camp Updates

Steelgal
07-28-2011, 05:30 PM
I follow several reports/analysts and here's some interesting tweets that just came across by Ken Laird

just got done watching the #steelers "conditioning exercise", a series of 100-yd dashes followed by 100 yd walks. 77 players here

Flozell Adams made two of the seven runs before coaches told him he was done. Casey Hampton made three.

Limas Sweed and Jon Dwyer were also tapped out before the runs finished. Dwyer was consistently last in his group #steelers

Hampton beautifully made a b-line for the water cooler after his 3 runs, and booted someone off it to sit down

Steelgal
07-28-2011, 05:31 PM
I had hope for Sweed, but it's stupid he and Dwyer didn't come to camp in better condition. maybe that will help Plax's case....

Steelgal
07-28-2011, 05:34 PM
One more tweet

MarkKaboly_TribMark Kaboly

For what its worth, tomlin said "good job" after telling sweed to stop early.

Steelgal
07-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Ken Laird

mike tomlin says hines, kemoeatu, and eugene bright start on pup list

What does that mean????

insanesteelersfan
07-28-2011, 05:36 PM
I had hope for Sweed, but it's stupid he and Dwyer didn't come to camp in better condition. maybe that will help Plax's case....

The only difference is that Plex wouldn't even have showed up for those conditioning tests. In fact, for several seasons while here, he didn't.

Steelgal
07-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Ken_LairdKen Laird

tomlin says all rookies signed except cam heyward and curtis brown

insanesteelersfan
07-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Ken Laird

What does that mean????

Pup.....Physically unable to perform list ?...Gee, I thought Ward said that Dancing with the stars put him in the BEST shape of his career..... :wft

Steelgal
07-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Funny tweet from Ryan Clark.

RealRClark25

Finish the run test! Now I'm in Wal Mart! Need air fresheners! Darn dorm room!

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Ken Laird

What does that mean????

Pup.....Physically unable to perform list ?...Gee, I thought Ward said that Dancing with the stars put him in the BEST shape of his career..... :wft

He had surgery on his thumb in at the end of May (torn ligaments).

Captain Lemming
07-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Ken Laird

What does that mean????

No, no, Hines was going to do "So you think you can dance" but he is on the "unable to perform" list.

Slapstick
07-28-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't think Sweed was out of shape...

He injured his achilles tendon and was locked out of the Steelers facility for the last 5 months and did not have the NFL's health insurance plan to pay for really great rehab...

With Steelers trainers available, I think he'll be fine...

Steelgal
08-02-2011, 04:23 PM
per Tweet from Kaboly, Artell hawkins helping out as intern for DBs this camp.

Steelgal
08-02-2011, 04:25 PM
tweet

Defense eating up OL of Jolley, Willimas, Pouncey, Foster, C scott. Batch breaks off long run tho.

flippy
08-02-2011, 04:30 PM
tweet

Defense eating up OL of Jolley, Willimas, Pouncey, Foster, C scott. Batch breaks off long run tho.

Great opportunity for these linemen. Who the heck is Jolley again?

Oviedo
08-02-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't think Sweed was out of shape...

He injured his achilles tendon and was locked out of the Steelers facility for the last 5 months and did not have the NFL's health insurance plan to pay for really great rehab...

With Steelers trainers available, I think he'll be fine...

:Agree Tweaking a hamstring early in camp is pretty commonplace especially for a WR who missed most of the past two years.

I think he'll be fine and reward the Steelers for their support and patience.

Steelgal
08-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Ben is scrambling a lot behind the line, but has connected with Wallace and then threw SB 40 like pass to Brown.

Steelgal
08-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Cortez Allen done for day. Left hamstring wrapped.

Steelgal
08-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Rough series for CB Curtis Brown. Got first team action, lebeau yelling at him. Looked ill after that.

Oviedo
08-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Rough series for CB Curtis Brown. Got first team action, lebeau yelling at him. Looked ill after that.

Brown must have been covering his man like he was taught in college versus giving him a 10 yard cushion so the WR could make the easy catch. He'll learn LeBeau's system. It just may take time to break bad habits like covering a WR too tight :stirpot

hawaiiansteel
08-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Who the heck is Jolley again?

Kyle Jolly was on our practice squad last year but has yet to see game action in the NFL. Jolly has been starting at LT so far in camp since Max Starks was cut and Jonathan Scott hasn't started practicing yet.

Kyle Jolly

#67 OT
Pittsburgh Steelers
Height: 6-6 Weight: 300 Age: 28
Born: 7/21/1983
College: North Carolina
Experience: 1st season

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/persons/player-cards/Jolly_Kyle1.jpg

flippy
08-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Who the heck is Jolley again?

Kyle Jolly was on our practice squad last year but has yet to see game action in the NFL. Jolly has been starting at LT so far in camp since Max Starks was cut and Jonathan Scott hasn't started practicing yet.

Kyle Jolly

#67 OT
Pittsburgh Steelers
Height: 6-6 Weight: 300 Age: 28
Born: 7/21/1983
College: North Carolina
Experience: 1st season

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/persons/player-cards/Jolly_Kyle1.jpg

May he turn into Walter Jones.

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Ben is scrambling a lot behind the line, but has connected with Wallace and then threw SB 40 like pass to Brown.

Ben didn't have any particularly memorable throws in SB 40 (other than maybe heaving the ball up for Hines to catch inside the 5 yard line). I assume you meant SB 43 there?

birtikidis
08-03-2011, 01:50 PM

Ben didn't have any particularly memorable throws in SB 40 (other than maybe heaving the ball up for Hines to catch inside the 5 yard line). I assume you meant SB 43 there?
Maybe he meant that Ben was getting knocked down and threw an ugly pass that was intercepted. it was intended for Wallace...

Steelgal
08-03-2011, 01:50 PM

oops, either I mistyped the tweet or the reporter got it wrong and I didn't catch it. Either way, I'm sure it's in reference to SB 43. Thanks for the correction.

pittpete
08-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Brown must have been covering his man like he was taught in college versus giving him a 10 yard cushion so the WR could make the easy catch. He'll learn LeBeau's system. It just may take time to break bad habits like covering a WR too tight

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Notebook: Plug N Play O-Line

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.net
Posted Aug 6, 2011

LATROBE – The Steelers’ first goal-line drill of training camp went down to a final and deciding Snap 7, and the defense stopped rookie running back John Clay short to claim a 4-3 win and bragging rights for the week.

But the offense can brag a bit as well, since the unit’s offensive line was decimated by a series of minor injuries that left Willie Colon as the old man of the group throughout the drill.

“I’m the old prizefighter,” said the 28-year-old Colon. “But don’t worry about it. We’ll be fine.”

Center Maurkice Pouncey missed Saturday’s practice with the “minor” ankle injury he suffered the previous night at Latrobe Stadium. Doug Legursky, who’d been playing guard in place of Chris Kemoeatu (PUP), moved over to center and Chris Scott played right guard. Ramon Foster moved over to left guard, but he suffered a minor leg injury at the same time left tackle Jonathan Scott injured his ankle. Both were carted from the field, replaced by rookie Keith Williams (LG) and Tony Hills (LT).

Coach Mike Tomlin called the injuries “training camp-type things” and Foster later confirmed that he and Scott will return soon.

With all of that inexperience, the line played well enough to score three touchdowns from the 1˝- yard line.

The first back, Jonathan Dwyer, was stopped on the first carry, but on Snap 2 he cut behind Colon’s block on the right side to even the score.

Many of the first-teamers left the field at this point, and on Snap 3 Baron Batch was stopped in the backfield by Larry Foote. Batch scored on the next two carries before he was stopped by Mortty Ivy on Snap 6.

Clay, the big rookie from Wisconsin, was stopped by NT Anthony Gray and the middle of the Steelers’ line on Snap 7.

“First of all, I liked the fact we didn’t have any pre-snap penalties,” said Tomlin. “I know that sounds like a little thing but offensively and defensively not shooting yourself in the foot in that situation prior to the ball snapping was big.

“Obviously there was some ebb and flow and good competition and contact. That’s the nature of football and really how we want to play. I was pleased with it in general.”

DOWN GOES SWEED

Limas Sweed left practice with a sprained shoulder that seemed to extend the big receiver’s run of bad luck. Tomlin was asked if he’s becoming frustrated by Sweed’s continuing injury saga.

“I worry about those that are working, not those that aren’t,” Tomlin said. “You guys know me.”

The Steelers are bringing in wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery for a visit on Sunday. Cotchery was cut recently by the New York Jets because he failed his physical, according to reports.

The 6-0, 203-pound Cotchery, 29, has 358 catches in seven seasons with the Jets. Last season he caught 41 passes for 433 yards and 2 touchdowns before undergoing lower back surgery in the offseason.

The Steelers are certainly becoming thin at the position. Along with Sweed’s injury, Hines Ward is on the PUP list, Emmanuel Sanders will miss at least two more weeks with a foot problem, and Arnaz Battle missed Saturday’s practice with back spasms.

MORE FROM MORTTY

Brett Keisel called it “the best hit of the drill.” Mortty Ivy shrugged it off.

“Hey, that’s what we do,” said the young inside linebacker, who drew raves the previous night from Tomlin for his explosive work in the backs-on-backers drill.

The explosiveness continued Saturday in the goal-line drill when Ivy blew through the hole and rocked Batch for a loss. Ivy lost his helmet upon contact but continued to play as the rest of the defense swarmed Batch, and then swarmed Ivy after the whistle.

Is the graduate of nearby Gateway High School living his dream with the Steelers?

“It’s a dream to be where I’m at today, having the opportunity to be in the NFL,” he said. “That was always my goal. When I was younger it didn’t really matter where.

“Lovin’ to be home. Lovin’ to be home with my family and friends, but growing up I was never driven to be a Steeler. It actually hit me when they called me and asked me to be a Steeler. Then I jumped for joy.”

The Monroeville native was a two-year starter at WVU and was a member of the Carolina, St. Louis and Miami practice squads throughout the last two seasons.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1092964.html

Steelgal
08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Per tweets from Laird and Kaboly, Trib reporters, Baron Batch had a nice 40 yard run, then went to the ground in pain. Took him off the field w/o putting weight on it. After a few minutes, carted him off the field and the look on his face was not good........ Was shaking his head like he can't believe what happened.

Not good news at all.

Edited to add they were looking at his left knee.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-10-2011, 05:46 PM
that really sucks.

feel bad for the kid.

hawaiiansteel
08-10-2011, 05:50 PM
yeah, KDKA just texted me the same thing...what a bummer!

grotonsteel
08-10-2011, 06:34 PM
It sucks.

I was looking forward to see this kid play in preseason. I think its a pretty serious injury. Another lifeline for Dwyer???

MarkKaboly_Trib Mark Kaboly
For those of you who are asking, if Batch is put on IR, he will be back next year picking up where he left off. It's not like he will be cut.

chiken
08-10-2011, 07:12 PM
In a weird kind of way, with them Resigning Moore - this could end up being a blessing in disguise if he truly ends up in the IR.. He was probably destined for the practice squad ala Redman in his first season - (and there is strong strong chance that another team would have picked him up, Pittsburgh West in particular.)

hawaiiansteel
08-10-2011, 07:18 PM
In a weird kind of way, with them Resigning Moore - this could end up being a blessing in disguise if he truly ends up in the IR.. He was probably destined for the practice squad ala Redman in his first season - (and there is strong strong chance that another team would have picked him up, Pittsburgh West in particular.)

Baron Batch was having a great camp so far and was a good bet to make the 53 man roster. He most likely would have been claimed off the practice squad by another team if we had tried to stash him there.

Chadman
08-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Dwyer vs Clay just got more interesting.