PDA

View Full Version : New England Cheetahs get Albert Haynesworth for 5th rounder

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Sources: Albert Haynesworth traded
By Adam Schefter
Updated: July 28, 2011, 11:23 AM ET

Before defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth could get to training camp and take his conditioning test, the Washington Redskins traded him to the New England Patriots for a fifth-round draft pick in 2013, according to league sources.

Haynesworth still must pass his physical, as any player in any trade would, for the trade with the Patriots to take effect.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Thursday morning that the trade was not yet completed.

"I talked to Mike Shanahan last night and we're in the process of acquiring Haynesworth, but that's not complete yet, so I can't really comment on that at this point until it's completed -- if it does get completed. So, we'll see how that goes."

Washington believes it is ridding itself of a player it had no intention of bringing back to its team this season. Haynesworth clashed repeatedly with Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and frequently skipped workouts. Shanahan suspended him for the final four games of last season for conduct detrimental to the team.

The 30-year-old Haynesworth was at his best when playing in the 4-3 scheme as a Tennessee Titan and seemed to prefer that over the Redskins' 3-4 defense.

The Patriots, though, run plenty of multiple fronts, and Haynesworth lends needed help along their defensive line for a reduced price. The former Pro Bowl player's base salary for the coming season is $5 million. He is two years into a seven-year, $100 million contract that the Redskins signed him to in 2009. The contract at the time included a then-NFL record of $41 million in guaranteed money.

Speaking in generalities about adding a pass rusher, Belichick said: "Defensively, the two things you want to do are pressure the quarterback and cover the receivers in the passing game. That's what pass defense is: those two things working together and the timing of it, the coordination of it and the execution of it. That's what the passing game is all about. You can never have too much pass rush. You can never have too much pass coverage. You're always trying to improve that."

The Patriots have had a propensity for reaching out to get talented but troubled players and succeeding, having previously done so with running back Corey Dillon and wide receiver Randy Moss.

Haynesworth was charged in two separate incidents this offseason. He settled out of court in a road-rage case and also was accused of fondling a waitress at a hotel bar in Washington. He has pleaded not guilty in that case and is scheduled to go on trial in August.

"I think anytime you acquire a player, however you do it, you want to be comfortable putting that player into your team," Belichick said. "So whether you draft them, sign them, trade for them, however you do it, that's what you want to try to do."

In a 24-hour span, the Redskins will have unloaded Haynesworth and quarterback Donovan McNabb, giving Washington an entirely different atmosphere as it prepares to open camp.

Washington on Wednesday traded McNabb to Minnesota for a sixth-round pick in 2012 and a conditional sixth in 2013 in a trade that is expected to become official later Thursday.

Also Thursday, the Redskins terminated the contract of center Casey Rabach, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton. Rabach, 33, was scheduled to make $3 million this season.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6811622/albert-haynesworth-washington-redskins-traded-new-england-patriots-sources-say

steeler_george
07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
This move scares me, If belicheck can get him motivated. NE will be one tough team to beat.

grotonsteel
07-28-2011, 12:52 PM
WTF...Doesn't Cheatroits play 3-4 D?

If i remember correctly Albert had issues with playing in a 3-4 D.

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
WTF...Doesn't Cheatroits play 3-4 D?

If i remember correctly Albert had issues with playing in a 3-4 D.

They flip-flop back-and-forth between a 3-man and 4-man front.

Now they have Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, and Albert Haynesworth (all listed between 325-335, but all likely more than that). That doesn't solve their main problem on defense, which is generating a pass rush.

Steelhere10
07-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I think ole Billy boy, believe his own press clippings. Albert H. Is lazy and overrated and still will be in NE. Why do every fan and media believes that there is magic that presides in NE. That some how that they can take any lazy-under achiever problem child and turn things around is beyond me

BackwoodsSteeler
07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
I think ole Billy boy, believe his own press clippings. Albert H. Is lazy and overrated and still will be in NE. Why do every fan and media believes that there is magic that presides in NE. That some how that they can take any lazy-under achiever problem child and turn things around is beyond me
Corey Dillion, Randy Moss.

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2011, 02:35 PM

personally, I thnk it's a great move by the Pats*. when motivated, Haynesworth can be a dominant force on the defensive line and the Pats* are only giving up a 5th round pick.

and after what Haynesworth has gone through with the Redskins, he may very well welcome this opportunity to prove Shanahan wrong.

D Rock
07-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Do the Pats have to take him on at the ridiculous contract the Redskins signed him too?

If so...Great! It will eat up a bunch of their cap room for an underachiever.

If they try to give him a new contract for less money, he will be angry and act a fool some more. Even better!

This was a terrible move by the Pats.

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Do the Pats have to take him on at the ridiculous contract the Redskins signed him too?

If so...Great! It will eat up a bunch of their cap room for an underachiever.

If they try to give him a new contract for less money, he will be angry and act a fool some more. Even better!

This was a terrible move by the Pats.

Well, Chainsaw Dan already gave him most of that money in signing bonuses. Looks like the Cheetahs will have Fat Albert for $5.4 million this season and $6.7 million next season. In 2013, there is some ridiculous $20 million "discretionary signing bonus" nonsense built into the contract, I guess to act as a sort of poison pill to spur renegotiation of some sort.

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Updated: July 30, 2011

Albert Haynesworth doesn't practice

By Mike Reiss
ESPNBoston.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth did not practice Saturday, one day after the New England Patriots officially acquired him, prompting speculation that he didn't pass the team's conditioning test.

Haynesworth has a history there. On the surface, it doesn't look good.

His absence gained momentum on social media sites and local sports radio, fueled in part by coach Bill Belichick's non-answer to the question. Asked if Haynesworth had passed his conditioning test, Belichick said, "There are things we still need to do with Albert for him to be able to get on the practice field, and when those things are done, he'll be out there."

Asked whether he thought football was important to Haynesworth, Belichick said, "Of course, otherwise I don't think he would be playing football. But those are questions you can ask him. I don't want to speak for him."

However, there are a few common-sense reasons why putting Haynesworth on the practice field would have been an irresponsible risk to take.

A major part of a coach's responsibility in this post-lockout environment is managing the health of players, and it would be borderline reckless of Belichick to put Haynesworth in that position. He'd be risking the health of an asset he obviously feels is going to be a big part of the team.

That appears to be the same way Belichick has approached his conditioning test. One player described this year's test as a bit different from the norm, somewhat modified and scaled back, which is likely a result of Belichick not wanting to push too hard too early.

Haynesworth appeared briefly on the team's All-Access television show Friday and talked about treating himself like a rookie, adding that "being on a team with a winning attitude and totally it's all about football and nothing else, I like that."

Mike Reiss covers the Patriots for ESPNBoston.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/i ... oning-fail (http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/6819103/albert-haynesworth-practice-conditioning-fail)

http://biomania.yolasite.com/resources/fat-albert.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D1Pobjdu01I/TWXOx73HsNI/AAAAAAAAgCA/YHn9VjQHueI/s1600/Fat-Albert-cartoon.jpg

fordfixer
07-31-2011, 12:31 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxmcnLdvPRqblB3xjU5RcquGvGR4SYo OzOUgYjju4ibNBzEFb-og

Discipline of Steel
07-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Him and ocho stinko are two more great reasons to hate the Pats*.

hawaiiansteel
11-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Patriots avoid big bonus money by cutting Haynesworth now

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 8, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/a-haynesworthpushed.jpg?w=162

The Albert Haynesworth experiment in New England clearly wasn’t working. Bill Belichick decided to cut his losses Tuesday before Haynesworth became any more expensive.

When Haynesworth joined the Patriots, he took a pay cut in base salary from $5.4 million to $1.5 million. He had the chance to make that money back in playing time incentives.

He won’t make any of the money back now.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported in August that Haynesworth would have received a $1 million bonus if he played in 20% of the team’s snaps for the year. Almost $3 million more was available if he reached playing time incentives beyond that.

None of that money should be paid to Haynesworth. Using snap counts from ESPNBoston.com’s Mike Reiss, Haynesworth has played roughly 30% of the team’s snaps during the first nine games. Cutting Haynesworth now should allow the Patriots to avoid any further payment because that percentage should dip below 20% by year’s end.

Haynesworth will be subject to waivers, but we’d be shocked if any team claimed him.

In the end, the Patriots wasted a fifth-round pick (in 2013), $1.5 million, and way too much time and energy on Haynesworth.

Let’s not pretend, however, that this was a financial move. If Haynesworth was playing well, the Patriots would gladly pay him all the money.

He wasn’t playing well at all, which means Haynesworth will go down as yet another recent failed defensive personnel move by Bill Belichick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... worth-now/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/08/patriots-avoid-big-bonus-money-by-cutting-haynesworth-now/)

RuthlessBurgher
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
And yet ESPN8, with his 9 total catches this year, lives on...

http://nuclearfamilywarhead.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/espn8.jpg

hawaiiansteel
11-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Haynesworth gave up against Giants

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 8, 2011

Albert Haynesworth got into a sideline argument with defensive line coach Pepper Johnson during the team’s loss to the Giants, just two days before Haynesworth was released.

But that’s not why Haynesworth was released. It wasn’t about the contract either. Players argue with coaches plenty on the sideline. The ones that give effort and display their talents are kept around.

Haynesworth just stopped competing.

Greg. A. Bedard of the Boston Globe breaks down the tape from Sunday’s game, pointing to a ridiculous three-play sequence where Haynesworth essentially gave up.

On three consecutive plays, he was thrown to the ground with one arm, pancaked to the ground after he stopped moving his feet, and again thrown to the ground by a guard (David Diehl) that other Patriots regularly beat all day.

“On the ground three-straight times and didn’t seem at all to mind!” one personnel executive told Bedard. “Just stopped moving his feet on each play.”

Haynesworth’s last snap in a Patriots uniform was when he was easily pushed out of the way on Brandon Jacobs‘ touchdown.

Kyle Love already played ahead of Haynesworth. New England has youngsters Ron Brace and Brandon Deaderick coming off the PUP list, so they could afford the hit to their depth.

“Haynesworth needed to go, and sources said some Patriots players were grumbling about that, but coach Bill Belichick was already moving in that direction,” Bedard writes.

Belichick owed it to the rest of the Patriots to get rid of a guy who played like he didn’t give a damn.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... st-giants/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/08/haynesworth-gave-up-against-giants/)

BradshawsHairdresser
11-09-2011, 09:56 AM
If only Brady would take a couple of plays off....... :lol:

ikestops85
11-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Albert, welcome to the Oakland Raiders!! :lol:

hawaiiansteel
11-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Albert, welcome to the Oakland Raiders!! :lol:

make that the Bucs...

Bucs get Albert Haynesworth

ESPN.com news services
Updated: November 9, 2011

Albert Haynesworth wasn't unemployed for long.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have claimed the defensive lineman, who was released by the New England Patriots on Tuesday.

General manager Mark Dominik confirmed the move Wednesday, saying the Bucs more than likely would not have been interested in the 350-pound Haynesworth if the team had not lost Gerald McCoy for the season this week because of a torn right biceps.

On Tuesday, Tampa Bay also signed defensive tackle John McCargo, but.

McCoy, a second-year defensive tackle, was placed on injured reserve Monday after tearing his right biceps during the opening quarter of a 27-16 loss to New Orleans that dropped the Bucs (4-4) into third place in the NFC South. McCoy had just returned to the lineup after sitting out the previous two games because on an ankle injury.

In six games with the Patriots, Haynesworth had just three tackles and no sacks. His last play came in Sunday's 24-20 loss to the Giants when left guard David Diehl blocked him to clear the way for Brandon Jacobs' 10-yard touchdown run with 9:10 left in the third quarter.

"I'll just say this on the Albert situation. I thought that both he and myself -- speaking for the (coaching) staff -- we really tried to make it work," Belichick said Wednesday. "He had a few limitations to overcome when he got here, but I thought he really tried to do what we asked him to do. We tried to work with him. In the end, it just didn't work out. I think the best thing we could do was move on."

Haynesworth, who missed two games this season with a back injury, wasn't involved in any public troubles with New England, unlike his two-year stay in Washington.

After signing a seven-year, $100 million free-agent contract with the Redskins after the 2008 season, Haynesworth feuded with new coach Mike Shanahan in 2010. He skipped offseason workouts because he didn't want to play nose tackle in the 3-4 defensive alignment Shanahan was installing.

Then it took him 10 days to pass his conditioning test. He lost his starting job and played in just eight games before Shanahan suspended him for the final four because of conduct detrimental to the club.

The Patriots obtained Haynesworth on July 28 for a fifth-round draft choice in 2013.

After McCoy's injury, the Bucs were left with Brian Price and Roy Miller as their only healthy defensive tackles because reserve Frank Okam was out with an injury.

Ironically, the Buccaneers tried to sign Haynesworth as a free agent in 2009 before he signed with the Redskins. He later said the Buccaneers offered more money, but he didn't want to have "distractions" in Florida.

Under the terms of his contract with New England, Haynesworth was scheduled to make $1.5 million in base salary this year. With only eight games left, Haynesworth only will cost the Bucs $705,882 this season.

Haynesworth is scheduled to make $6.7 million in base salary next season. He's also scheduled to receive a $400,000 roster bonus on August 1 and a $100,000 bonus if he takes part in an unspecified number of offseason workouts.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/72131 ... d-patriots (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7213105/tampa-bay-buccaneers-claim-albert-haynesworth-waivers-new-england-patriots)