View Full Version : Plaxico Burress expected to sign with Giants or Steelers

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Updated: July 27, 2011, 3:55 PM ET

Plaxico Burress to Giants, Steelers?

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200901/plaxico0118_500.jpg

It appears likely that Plaxico Burress will be playing for one of his two former teams, the New York Giants or the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to team and league sources.

After a dinner with Giants coach Tom Coughlin on Friday night, Burress plans to fly to Pittsburgh to meet with coach Mike Tomlin, sources said.

Sources believe only a productive, fence-mending meeting between Burress and Coughlin stands between the wide receiver rejoining the Giants and making more than $10 million over two years.

However, Tomlin expects to make his own strong sales pitch for Burress to join the Steelers, who made him a first-round draft choice out of Michigan State in 2000, sources added.

Burress traveled to New York on Tuesday night via a private jet courtesy of billionaire Seth Bernstein, who is serving as an unofficial broker between the wide receiver and the Giants, sources said. Bernstein is CEO of Empower Software Solutions and is a friend of Giants co-owner Steve Tisch.

Burress had hoped to meet with Couglin Wednesday, but NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told ESPNNewYork.com that the new league rules do not allow free agents to meet with teams, even at a neutral site, until the free-agent signing period begins at 6 p.m. ET Friday.

The New York Post reported Wednesday that Burress will fly back to Florida to resume training.

Bernstein made an independent pitch Tuesday night to Burress and also to Burress' former teammate, Michael Strahan, who has said he believes a return to the Giants would be too great of a distraction for the team and the player. By the end of the evening, sources say Bernstein had made a persuasive case for the reunion. The Giants released Burress in April 2009 after a nightclub gun incident late in the 2008 season led a self-inflicted leg wound and the receiver's imprisonment.

The Giants have talked of paying Burress in the range of $10.5 million over two years, approximately 60 percent in salary and bonuses with the balance earned on play-time perfromance and incentives. Terms remain negotiable, sources said.

While Buress has been contrite since his release from jail, he has had harsh words about his prior relationship with Coughlin. Sources say Bernstein convinced Burress that Coughlin is the right coach and the Giants are the right organization for the receiver's re-entry into the NFL. Coughlin fined Burress repeatedly for team rules violations. Burress also frustrated others within the organization, including quarterabck Eli Manning, for his failure to practice on a regular basis, but his big-game performances were lauded by all when the Giants won the Super Bowl in 2007.

Coughlin also has stated that his desire for Burress to grow as a husband, father and community man now that he has been released from jail.

Coughlin and Burress were unavailable for comment. Attempts to reach Drew Rosenhaus, Burress' agent, were unsuccessful.

One Giant said Wednesday that he would love to see Burress back in blue.

"It'll be another match made in heaven," defensive end Justin Tuck said.

"I know this team would love to see him back," Tuck said, adding that he had spoken to Burress.. "I don't see there being any other place for him to be (rather) than here in New York. But he has to do what's best for him and his family, and that's what I'd advise him to do."

Tuck hopes Coughlin and Burress can work out their differences.

"I can't speak for Plax or Tom, but it's been well documented that they have bumped heads in the past, so hopefully a little time apart can rekindle that love that they shared for each other," he said.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN. Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Mike Mazzeo was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68091 ... h-steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6809115/plaxico-burress-likely-new-york-giants-pittsburgh-steelers)

Jigawatts
07-27-2011, 04:26 PM
If I learned anything from Jaromir Jagr it's that Plax is going to Philadelphia.

Steelgal
07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Gotta say I'd be stoked about this if it were to happen!!!!!! Always liked Plexico and I always thought his big issue was maturity. He and Ben worked well together and he's a great, tall end-zone target. Man, I hope this happens!!!!

Oviedo
07-27-2011, 05:01 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2011, 05:04 PM
First tell me if Tomlin has scheduled any minicamps to be held on Mother's Day weekend, then I'll decide if I want Plax back or not.

AngryAsian
07-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Poor work ethic + Tomlin coached team = NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Plaxico has dates set up with Tom Coughlin and Mike Tomlin

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 27, 2011, 4:48 PM EDT

We had our doubts, but it doesn’t seem like Plaxico Burress‘ stay in jail has hurt his market value that much.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports Burress will dine with Giants coach Tom Coughlin on Friday evening. That delayed trip came after Burress arrived in New Jersey Tuesday night only to learn that he wasn’t allowed to meet with the Giants.

Burress traveled via a private jet courtesy of billionaire Seth Bernstein, someone who is “serving as an unofficial broker” between the receiver and the Giants. Bernstein is a buddy of Giants co-owner Steve Tisch.

Apparently a “fence-mending” dinner with Coughlin is the only thing standing in between a two-year, $10 million contract that would be heavy on incentives. (60% would be salary.)

Well, Mike Tomlin may also be in the way. Burress plans to leave dinner with Coughlin to go to Pittsburgh where he will break bread with Tomlin. The Steelers are reportedly interested in bringing Burress back to the organization, although we can’t imagine they would give him close to $10 million.

Either way, we think it speaks very well for Burress that the two organizations that know Burress best are willing to bring him back.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ke-tomlin/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/plaxico-has-dinner-dates-with-tom-coughlin-and-mike-tomlin/)

Chadman
07-27-2011, 07:03 PM
It would certainly add another dimension to our offense....

I'm not against it at all. He's done his time, as long as he can convince Tomlin & Co that he's ready to play Steeler football, I'm ok with it.

Djfan
07-27-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm OK with it if he's matured some. If not, then I bet Tomlin will see it and put the kabash on the whole thing.

(For those of you who live in Wyoming, that means it won't happen.)

feltdizz
07-27-2011, 08:04 PM
A favor for Tony Dungy...

I think it's crazy to even have Tomlin saying these things given our James Harrison Hit Man, Ward DUI, Smokey Holmes, Bathroom Ben incidents.

We would truly be the Oakland Raiders of the East if we sign Plax.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm OK with it if he's matured some. If not, then I bet Tomlin will see it and put the kabash on the whole thing.

I've never been anywhere close to Wyoming, but I know what kibosh means. :wink:

steelz09
07-27-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't see that being the case at all.

I'd rather see Reggie Bush on this team than plaxico. We are pretty deep at WR. We will be really deep if Sweed gains some confidence and actually plays up to his potential.

We could possibly have a very young and VERY fast WR corp. If we added to Burress to the fix then watch out....

Wallace
Sanders
Brown
Sweed
Ward

Let's not forget that Miller should see his fair share as well.

Bush would be more valuable to the team imo though. He can line up at RB, WR, Punt Returner and even KR (although probably rare).

Captain Lemming
07-27-2011, 08:32 PM

Dont you worry Plax has matured during his time away. This pic was taken just before he met with the Giants:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3647/3451869627_f31e6a905a.jpg

steelblood
07-27-2011, 08:49 PM
IF the Giants are paying him 5 mil per, we won't be able to come close to matching that.

Jigawatts
07-27-2011, 08:55 PM

I'm not against it at all. He's done his time, as long as he can convince Tomlin & Co that he's ready to play Steeler football, I'm ok with it.

I know I haven't been posting much the last few months but what's with this Chadman
posting style?

"I'm not against it at all"
"I'm ok with it"

:wft

fordfixer
07-27-2011, 08:58 PM

http://www.searchgodsword.org/lex/heb/v ... mber=03533 (http://www.searchgodsword.org/lex/heb/view.cgi?number=03533)
kabash-
1)to subject, subdue, force, keep under, bring into bondage

a, (Qal)
1. to bring into bondage, make subservient
2. to subdue, force, violate
3. to subdue, dominate, tread down
b, (Niphal) to be subdued
c, (Piel) to subdue
d,(Hiphil) to bring into bondage

Are you sure? :lol:

Djfan
07-27-2011, 09:00 PM

http://www.searchgodsword.org/lex/heb/v ... mber=03533 (http://www.searchgodsword.org/lex/heb/view.cgi?number=03533)
kabash-

a, (Qal)
c, (Piel) to subdue

I tried to put it in understandable terms. Thank the oldest boy for googling that for you! :tt2 :tt2

fordfixer
07-27-2011, 09:05 PM

kabash-

a, (Qal)
c, (Piel) to subdue

I tried to put it in understandable terms. Thank the oldest boy for googling that for you! :tt2 :tt2
I googled it my self. stay in Colorado stinkin' Greenie :moon :lol: :lol:

Djfan
07-27-2011, 09:07 PM

kabash-

a, (Qal)
c, (Piel) to subdue

Yeah, we almost drowned in Cheyenne on Sunday. Did you see that storm? It was amazing.

fordfixer
07-27-2011, 09:12 PM

kabash-

a, (Qal)
c, (Piel) to subdue

Yeah, we almost drowned in Cheyenne on Sunday. Did you see that storm? It was amazing.

No it missed this part of Wyoming

Djfan
07-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Over one hour of hail. It was amazing.

fordfixer
07-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Welcome to Wyoming. Its not for everyone

Djfan
07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Welcome to Wyoming. Its not for everyone

It was awesome. Since I didn't lose any car windows I was good with it.

fordfixer
07-27-2011, 09:46 PM

I've never been anywhere close to Wyoming, but I know what kibosh means. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Ruthless :Clap :Clap :Clap

Northern_Blitz
07-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Not against Plax and I'd be for bringing him back if Sanders and Brown didn't show so much last year or if Ward were hanging up his cleats.

I want to see the young guys get more opportunities, not less.

fordfixer
07-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Does Plaxico Burress fit with Steelers?
July, 27, 2011
Jul 27
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... h-steelers (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/29793/does-plaxico-burress-fit-with-steelers)

By James Walker
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports free-agent receiver Plaxico Burress will meet with the Pittsburgh Steelers -- the team that drafted him 11 years ago -- later this week. According to Mortensen, Burress will talk with Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, who will make a pitch for Burress to join the reigning AFC champs.

Pittsburgh's interest in Burress is curious, to say the least.

First, the Steelers have plenty of depth at receiver. Burress, at best, would be a No. 3 receiver behind starters Mike Wallace and Hines Ward. Burress, who is 34 and hasn't played since 2008, also would have to beat out up-and-coming receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown for playing time.

Second, Pittsburgh doesn't have cap room to spare. The team began the week about $10 million over and that number will increase later this week when they sign top cornerback Ike Taylor and kicker Shaun Suisham. Burress probably won't come cheap. Therefore, if Pittsburgh adds him to the roster, that would mean even more significant cuts across the board for the Steelers to get under the cap.

Stranger things have happened, but adding another receiver isn't a big need for the Steelers. Pittsburgh's limited dollars this summer could be better spent elsewhere, such as depth on the offensive line or at cornerback.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Pittsburgh's limited dollars this summer could be better spent elsewhere, such as depth on the offensive line or at cornerback.
:Clap :Clap :Clap

Djfan
07-27-2011, 11:07 PM
It makes you wonder if the value of an athletic receiver went up, with the CB's new restrictions. If the NFL wants offense only, we had better be ready.

I would love the guy in the black and gold (assuming that he is all grown up now), but think our receiving corps is very talented as is.

Strange situation IMO.

(BTW, didn't James Harrison hunt buffalo in Wyoming? Just asking.)

MaxAMillion
07-27-2011, 11:15 PM
I am going to pray for Burress to return to Pittsburgh. We need a quality #2 WR opposite Wallace. This would be a great addition for the team if Burress can stay healthy after time off.

sentinel33
07-27-2011, 11:35 PM
If the Steelers can make this happen and if Tomlin is convinced that Plax is good to go, I say get it done. Ward, Wallace, Plax and Miller comin at me is scarrier than replacing him with sanders or brown.

And not at the expence of landing a solid DB. Priorities.

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2011, 10:26 AM

Jigawatts knows that Jigawatts hasn't been posting much the last few months but what's with this Chadman posting style?

"I'm not against it at all"
"I'm ok with it"

:wft

Fixed that for you, so the Chadman can understand who is speaking to him. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I am going to pray for Burress to return to Pittsburgh. We need a quality #2 WR opposite Wallace. This would be a great addition for the team if Burress can stay healthy after time off.

What, Ward is too old? Plax is old a year younger than Ward, and Hines didn't just spend 2 years rotting away in the clink.

Notleadpoisoned
07-28-2011, 10:45 AM

What, Ward is too old? Plax is old a year younger than Ward, and Hines didn't just spend 2 years rotting away in the clink.
I'm no physician but you gotta wonder if getting a bullet in his thigh could have slowed Plaxico down a step or two also. He's damaged goods from my perspective either way.

ikestops85
07-28-2011, 11:10 AM
No way do I want Plax back on the team. I like our receiving corp. I think it is one of the strengths of the team. I guess I should preface my comment by saying I don't want him back for anything over 1.5 million a year. If he were willing to sign a 2 year/$3 million contract then lets go. Other than that lets go with our young stallions and give them the experience.

I have a feeling this will be Hines last year as a starter and he may not even start the entire year. We need the young guys to get as much playing time as possible so that they are ready to fill his shoes.

grotonsteel
07-28-2011, 12:58 PM

I'm no physician but you gotta wonder if getting a bullet in his thigh could have slowed Plaxico down a step or two also. He's damaged goods from my perspective either way.

Plex was never a speed guy IMO. I think Plex will be a huge Red-Zone Target. It might help a bit our red zone offense.

grotonsteel
07-28-2011, 01:01 PM
No way do I want Plax back on the team. I like our receiving corp. I think it is one of the strengths of the team. I guess I should preface my comment by saying I don't want him back for anything over 1.5 million a year. If he were willing to sign a 2 year/$3 million contract then lets go. Other than that lets go with our young stallions and give them the experience.

I have a feeling this will be Hines last year as a starter and he may not even start the entire year. We need the young guys to get as much playing time as possible so that they are ready to fill his shoes.

I agree.

But i do want Plex obviously at the right price. Not 2 yrs/10 million like quoted by some media outlets. I think Hines is done. He takes ages to get seperation and with no LT on the team we need some good WRs atleast.

sentinel33
07-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Hines is very close to some big milestones.

46 receptions away from 1000.

16 touchdowns away from 100.

Over the next 2 seasons he could reach those goals and I think this will be important for him getting into the Hall.

Now I don't know if he even cares about his statistics and needing them to get in. But I have read/heard that he is on the bubble. Hitting those marks would push him over the top.

IMO I think he plays hard til he gets those numbers than he hangs it up.

But it will take 2 GOOD years to get that done.

Similar to what he has been giving the past couple years, except a few more extra TD's.

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Despite clear interest, Giants are a “long way” from signing Plaxico

Posted by Mike Florio on July 28, 2011

Giants co-owner John Mara joined PFT Live on Thursday, primarily to do a postmortem on the gone-but-not-yet-forgotten labor dispute.

After that, it was time to talk about the Giants. And one of the biggest questions facing the Giants right now is whether they’ll bring back Tiki Barber Plaxico Burress.

So I asked Mara how Burress and coach Tom Coughlin could get along, in light of everything that happened in 2008 and previously.

“That was 2008, and it’s now 2011,” Mara said. “He is coming tomorrow evening and he and Tom are going to sit down, and that’s step one of the process. And if we move successfully past step one of the process, then we have to see if he fits in terms of our salary cap situation and everything.”

A formal signing is by now means close.

“We’re a long way from being there, and we’ll just have to see what happens,” Mara said. “But obviously he was a tremendous player for us and one of the big reasons that we won that Super Bowl. I think it would have been foolish for us not to even have the conversation with him.

“So we’ll see what happens when he comes in tomorrow evening and what happens that. But obviously you have to be interested in someone who has that kind of talent.”

We agree. And we’re surprised more teams aren’t chasing him. The mere fact that the Giants are willing to explore whether he has changed enough in three years to justify bringing him back confirms that they have high regard for his talents.

For any team out there that’s on the fence, that should be enough to nudge them toward trying to get in on this one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... umor-mill/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/)

feltdizz
07-28-2011, 03:36 PM
If the Giants are saying no one has interest in him they must be trying to get him to drop his price.

Sounds like Tomlin is going to meet with him and make a few phone calls. I wouldn't be surprised if Plax ended up in Tampa or Minnesota.

Doesn't sound like our FO has an interest in him....

feltdizz
07-28-2011, 03:39 PM

I agree.

But i do want Plex obviously at the right price. Not 2 yrs/10 million like quoted by some media outlets. I think Hines is done. He takes ages to get seperation and with no LT on the team we need some good WRs atleast.

Hines isn't done... he still has a little left. Every couple games he is that guy when we need to move the chains.

NJ-STEELER
07-28-2011, 05:20 PM
NFL live had a story on this

ben has talked to plax about signing here

keisel said he would be welcomed here. "played with him before and knows he's a great player"

manny says the WR corps can use a big red zone target

and maybe most importantly, leftwich has been working out with plax since he got out and is impressed with his route running

the reporter asked him if he's pitched the bugh to plax,

he said "i dont have to. he wants to win, and thats what we do"

insanesteelersfan
07-28-2011, 05:38 PM

keisel said he would be welcomed here. "played with him before and knows he's a great player"

and maybe most importantly, leftwich has been working out with plax since he got out and is impressed with his route running

What about all the KKK members that Plex said lived in Pittsburgh when he first left ? I guess if he came back here, he must feel they all moved out huh :lol:

Notleadpoisoned
07-28-2011, 05:56 PM

What about all the KKK members that Plex said lived in Pittsburgh when he first left ? I guess if he came back here, he must feel they all moved out huh :lol:
After Tomlin got hired I think a lot of them did.

feltdizz
07-28-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm not the biggest Plax fan and I don't buy the "I just want to win" line.

He was acting up while he was winning. My fear is once he gets into his routine he will go back to bucking authority.

This isn't a vick win the fans over situation. All he did was shoot himself...
Pittsburgh treats their athletes like royalty. He will fall back into the same routine if he came back to Pittsburgh. What happens when we win but he doesn't get touches?

flippy
07-28-2011, 06:17 PM
I always got the impression Plax gave 100% and that he's just not the smartest guy. ie the dumb stuff he does is more him not knowing any better than it being malicious intent.

plus if we bring plax back, that'll so get inside Ward's head that he'll have a career year. i'd guarantee that one for sure.

in a roundabout way, signing plax is an investment in ward.

fordfixer
07-29-2011, 02:34 AM
Steelers Notebook: Receivers warm to idea of a Burress return
Friday, July 29, 2011
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11210/1163724-66-0.stm

Mike Wallace established himself as one of the top young receivers in the NFL last season. Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown established themselves as valuable components of the Steelers offense as rookies.

All could stand to lose playing time or see a drop in their production if the Steelers decide to sign free-agent Plaxico Burress. But that did not stop them from all but rolling out the red carpet to welcome Burress back to Pittsburgh.

Burress, who played with the Steelers from 2000-2004, missed the past two seasons while serving a jail sentence for a weapons violation in New York. He was expected to meet with New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin today and is due to meet with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin Saturday about the possibility of rejoining the club.

"I think it would be great," said Sanders, who had 28 receptions and two touchdowns as a rookie. "Whoever wants to come in and put their hands in the pile and help us win a championship, I'm all about it. We got to the Super Bowl last year and we lost. I remember walking off that field and thinking I have to know what it's like when the confetti is falling and I have the T-shirt on my back and the ring on my finger. If he wants to come in and help us, I'm down."

Brown and Burress worked out together this summer because they share the same agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

"I'm here for whatever they want me to do," said Brown, who had 16 receptions and 167 yards last season and caught the long pass in the playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens that set up the deciding touchdown. "I think special teams will be key for me. And the more reps I get at receiver, it will be key for me."

Brown said Burress is in "great shape."

"He's ready," Brown said. "We've been working out together. Plax is a great guy, one of my close friends and a good mentor. It would be great to have him here."

Burress was a favorite target of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the 2004 season. In five seasons with the Steelers, Burress had 4,157 receiving yards and 22 touchdowns. He left the Steelers to sign as a free agent with the New York Giants after the '04 season. As a member of the Giants, he scored the winning touchdown to help New York defeat New England, 17-14, in Super Bowl XLII.

"I'm with it," Wallace said. "I'd love to have him here. He's a great player. He'd be a great addition to our team."
Starks could be re-signed

Max Starks, released by the Steelers Thursday to help create salary-cap room, could be re-signed by them before the end of training camp, sources told the Post-Gazette.

Starks, who has been a starter at tackle since his second season in 2005, counted more than $7 million on their salary cap, which was estimated to be more than $10 million above the limit this year. He started the past three seasons at left tackle after two years at right tackle.

His season ended in November when he required neck surgery, and he has had trouble getting his weight down.

Starks sent out two tweets thanking Steelers fans for their support.

"To all of SteelersNation thank you so much for all your support throughout my career as a Steeler. I will always be a part of pittsburgh.

"And you as fans have always given support, on and off the field. We had some great memories, a couple trophies along the way! Thank you ..."
Roster updates

Starting receiver Hines Ward and starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu will open training camp on the sideline, placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list until they overcome their injuries.

Ward had surgery on a thumb that has not sufficiently healed and Kemoeatu has swelling in a knee. The Steelers also put tight end Eugene Bright, recovering from shoulder surgery, on the PUP list.

Tomlin announced that five draft picks had signed, leaving only first-round pick Cameron Heyward and third-rounder Curtis Brown unsigned. Signed to four-year contracts were offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert, cornerback Cortez Allen, linebacker Chris Carter, offensive guard Keith Williams and running back Baron Batch.
Missing El

Starks was not the only veteran released. Antwaan Randle El was told he would not be back for another season. Randle El was signed last season to be a third or fourth receiver, but he gave way to Sanders and Brown late in the season. Brown and Sanders said they would miss Randle El's guidance. "It's good and it's bad because El was my role model," Sanders said. "Anything I needed, I went to El. He made my transition to the NFL a lot easier. I hope nothing but the best for him. Now me and Antonio know we'll have a little bit more of the freight."
Woodley on franchise tag

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley carries the designation as the Steelers franchise player, but there is the possibility that a new long-term contract might be worked out before the regular season begins. Woodley said his contract status will not be a distraction. "All I can do is wait and see," he said. "I'm not going to make a big deal out of it, like last year. I'm franchised right now. Everything else will take care of itself."
Johnson ready for bigger role

Matt Spaeth, the backup tight end to Heath Miller the past four seasons, signed with the Chicago Bears Thursday, meaning third-year player David Johnson could have a different role this season.

Johnson, known for his blocking, might get an opportunity to show more in the passing game with Spaeth gone. Miller and Johnson are the only tight ends on the roster with NFL experience.

"I always look forward to getting better and playing more," Johnson said. "Who doesn't want to play more and have a big role on the team? It means a lot to me, and I'm ready to take on that new role."
The Clark show

KDKA-FM Sportsradio 93-7 The Fan announced an agreement with safety Ryan Clark to play host to a one-hour weekly show. "The Ryan Clark Show" will debut 6 p.m. Sept. 6 and continue through the end of the regular season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11210/11 ... z1TTPv5F00 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11210/1163724-66-0.stm#ixzz1TTPv5F00)

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Roethlisberger wants Burress to consider Steelers

Friday, July 29, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/702/971/51490495_display_image.jpg?1297123961

Ben Roethlisberger laughed today over James Harrison's comments in Men's Journal that he was no Peyton Manning, but says it's no laughing matter about trying to get receiver Plaxico Burress to rejoin the Steelers.

The quarterback said he has been lobbying Plaxico for the past two months to consider re-signing with the Steelers, who drafted him in the first round in 2000.

"I've been talking to him," said Roethlisberer, who was a rookie during Burress' final season with the Steelers in 2004. "Plax and I have been talking for the last couple of months. I talked to him the other day and said, 'Would you be interested?' I'm excited for him to come whenever he comes here."

ESPN reported that Mike Tomlin will have dinner with Burress Saturday night, although Tomlin will not confirm that and there remains some skepticism it might come off.

Roethlisberger declined to say what he and Burress have been talking about but he feels the 6-5 receiver would fit right back in with the Steelers offense, which lost veteran Antwaan Randle El when he was released on Thursday.

The Steelers started Mike Wallace and Hines Ward last season. Rookie Emmanuel Sanders quickly became the No. 3 receiver and fellow rookie Antonio Brown moved up to No. 4.

"We've got a great group, we're a good young group on offense,'' Roethlisberger said. "Plax is a veteran guy who can come in with Hines as a veteran wide receiver and help our young guys. We have a great group of young guys who I think would welcome an opportunity to play alongside Plaxico as well as they welcome the challenge of running alongside Hines Ward."

Burress, who signed with the Giants as a free agent in 2005, was released from jail in June after serving two years on a gun charge.

Roethlisberger shrugged off Harrison's comments that seemed to knock the quarterback for throwing interceptions in the Super Bowl loss to Green Bay.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11210/11 ... z1TWiUccwk (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11210/1163800-100.stm#ixzz1TWiUccwk)

flippy
07-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Why would Plax want to go back to NY and deal with Coughlin and the media attention?

He should go to a smaller market.

It would be kinda funny if he ended up with the Bengals. They love giving guys second chances. And he could replace the void left by OchoCinco.

Chadman
07-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Looking at all those UDFA WR's the Steelers brought in, one common denominator was size- all tall targets except the little Paladin dude.

Now, who doesn't think the Steelers are looking for a big WR target?

And who believes Burress isn't as good as these UDFA's?

If there's enough interest on both sides, I can see it happening. Steelers could be VERY potent through the air.

Djfan
07-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Looking at all those UDFA WR's the Steelers brought in, one common denominator was size- all tall targets except the little Paladin dude.

Now, who doesn't think the Steelers are looking for a big WR target?

And who believes Burress isn't as good as these UDFA's?

If there's enough interest on both sides, I can see it happening. Steelers could be VERY potent through the air.

This. With Eason, ARE and whomever else gone, and a few restructures, he fits in nicely in a weapon laden team. That would be us.

Steelgal
07-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Per tweets from a couple of Steeler reports that I follow, Plex had breakfast with Tomlin this morning, informal meeting in workout suit.

A couple of interesting quotes from numerous tweets:

"He in interested (meaning Plex), his agent is interested and we are certainly interested so where it goes we will certainly find out" Tweet was quote, but I dont' know who of. Sorry.

Colbert on Plax, We know what to expecct from him and he knows what to expect from the organization.

Chadman
07-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Steelers | Plaxico Burress in town
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 08:07:12 -0700

Free-agent WR Plaxico Burress (Giants) had breakfast with Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin Saturday, July 30. The Steelers are interested in signing him. Burress also spent time with team president Art Rooney and director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Ed Bouchette

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=0#ixzz1TbRP5dYc

Time with Colbert & Rooney as well as breaky with Tomlin. I guess they are not just asking how Jail food was.

Good- Burress would be a great addition to an already dangerous offense.

Steelgal
07-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Per tweet from Mark Kaboly, "Plax now at lunch with team".

fordfixer
07-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Plaxico Burress meets with Steelers

Email
Print
Comments24

By James Walker
ESPN.com
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68185 ... NHeadlines (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6818541/plaxico-burress-meets-pittsburgh-steelers?campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

The Pittsburgh Steelers officially have entered the Plaxico Burress sweepstakes. General manager Kevin Colbert confirmed the team met with its 2000 first-round pick early Saturday morning, just one day after Burress met with the New York Giants, another former team.

According to Colbert, there have been no contract negotiations with the free-agent wide receiver, who was released from prison earlier this summer. But overall it was a productive visit.

"Drew [Rosenhaus], his agent, is interested, and we're certainly interested," Colbert said. "So where it goes, we will find out."

Colbert will meet with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin later in the day to gauge his feelings and where Burress, 34, potentially could fit. The next step would be determining a price tag. The Steelers did not work out Burress Saturday.

"We've seen enough of [Burress'] work. Of course, if we advance to a contract, we'd have to do a physical and see where he is physically," Colbert said. "But from what I've seen he looks great from a conditioning standpoint. Of course, he's missed two years of football. Until he gets back on the football field, nobody is going to know that."

Burress was released from prison on June 6 after serving 20 months for a gun charge.

A source close to Burress said Friday night that Burress has his eyes on the Philadelphia Eagles, who can deliver another monster blow to the Giants if they land Burress. The Eagles stunned many with their signing of top free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha Friday.

Burress spent about 90 minutes Friday evening meeting with Giants coach Tom Coughlin, general manager Jerry Reese, owner John Mara and several of his former teammates.

"I would say it was positive conversations all the way around," Reese said. "I thought we had a good visit. We will see what comes out of this. Again, we don't bring people in for the fun of it. We bring people in to investigate if it's a possibility for the New York Giants. We think it's probably a possibility and we will see where it goes."

fordfixer
07-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Plaxico breakfasts with Steelers
Posted on: July 30, 2011 11:05 am
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 8/30989445 (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/30989445)

BurressPosted by Josh Katzowitz

Since free agent Plaxico Burress was released from prison, there has been no shortage of rumors of where the 34-year-old ultimately could resume his career.

Would it be his old team, the Giants? Apparently, they’re interested. The Bears? Not so much. The Eagles? Michael Vick certainly wouldn’t mind that.

Well, what about the Steelers? If Burress’ eating habits are any indication, it sounds like Pittsburgh is a real player to land Burress.

According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette’s Ed Bouchette, Burress had breakfast with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on Saturday morning. Burress also met with team president Art Rooney and GM Kevin Colbert, who drafted Burress in 2000 (in case you forgot, Burress played his first five seasons in the league with the Steelers).

Said Colbert to reporters: “Obviously he's interested. His agent is interested and we're interested, so where it goes we'll find out.”

Colbert said he didn’t know how much money Burress would command, but if his expectations aren’t too high -- and coming off his prison stint, I don’t know why they would be -- Burress could be a nice fit to build some depth at the WR position.

All of this depends on how much solid football Burress actually has left in his body. Which, of course, nobody knows at this point.

insanesteelersfan
07-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Not only is it my opinion that bringing back Burress is a mistake. I also think it's a direct insult that we would potentially give this guy a 2 year contract close to 10 million dollars, even if it is mostly insentive based,,,and yet our soon to be restricted free agent after this his 3rd season, Mike Wallace will be barely making 800,000 dollars coming off a Pro Bowl like season. And all Wallace does is keep quiet. Does EVERYTHING asked of him. Works his BUTT off, and actually ATTENDS ALL Meetings and film sessions...unlike someone else I COULD name.!!

grotonsteel
07-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Make this deal happen Colbert.

5-Wide should be the offense in 2011. Spread them out.

Kevin Colbert held a Saturday morning press conference to update the current state of the roster, salary cap situation and talk about the possibility that the Steelers could still sign Plaxico Burress. Burress was still meeting with head coach Mike Tomlin and Colbert said that he looked good and seemed good. Colbert said that here's always a comfort zone when you know the player you might bring back and Burress will not be put through any type of work-out first if they indeed decide to sign him. Colbert said he was not sure how much Burress would demand, but did not seem too concerned about how a possible return would affect the young receiving corps. As far as how the role Burress would play if he returned, Colbert said it would up to Tomlin where he fits in from a stacking standpoint. Says Burress is indeed interested in return to Pittsburgh.

49ers and Jets have shown interest. :HeadBanger

I know one thing though Plex best buddy is on Steelers Team..Mr Leftwich. :Beer

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Not only is it my opinion that bringing back Burress is a mistake. I also think it's a direct insult that we would potentially give this guy a 2 year contract close to 10 million dollars, even if it is mostly insentive based,,,and yet our soon to be restricted free agent after this his 3rd season, Mike Wallace will be barely making 800,000 dollars coming off a Pro Bowl like season. And all Wallace does is keep quiet. Does EVERYTHING asked of him. Works his BUTT off, and actually ATTENDS ALL Meetings and film sessions...unlike someone else I COULD name.!!

Are you his agent? Mother? Uncle? Cousin?

Wallace will get his money dude...relax.

grotonsteel
07-30-2011, 02:06 PM

Plax had lunch w/ Ben, Lefty, Hines and Farrior.

From Mark Kaboly of the Trib-Review -

"Colbert, Burress currently meeting alone in Colbert's office in 2nd floor of St. Bonaventure.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 02:07 PM

"Colbert, Burress currently meeting alone in Colbert's office in 2nd floor of St. Bonaventure.
Plax ain't leaving Latrobe.

fordfixer
07-30-2011, 02:11 PM

Ever?????????? :lol:

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 02:13 PM

Ever?????????? :lol:
Welll....... :lol:

insanesteelersfan
07-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Plax ain't leaving Latrobe.[/quote]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

49ers | Hope to meet with Plaxico Burress
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:05:16 -0700

The San Francisco 49ers are hoping for the opportunity to meet with free-agent WR Plaxico Burress (Giants).

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1Tc6TYoLY

Jets | Interested in Plaxico Burress
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:04:22 -0700

The New York Jets are expected to pursue free-agent WR Plaxico Burress (Giants).

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1Tc6gTwys

No son.,...TRUST ME!! Plex IS definitely leaving Latrobe. It's ALL about Da Benjamins when it comes to Plex, and BOTH of those teams have way more to offer.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 02:18 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

49ers | Hope to meet with Plaxico Burress
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:05:16 -0700

The San Francisco 49ers are hoping for the opportunity to meet with free-agent WR Plaxico Burress (Giants).

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1Tc6TYoLY

Jets | Interested in Plaxico Burress
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:04:22 -0700

The New York Jets are expected to pursue free-agent WR Plaxico Burress (Giants).

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1Tc6gTwys

No son.,...TRUST ME!! Plex IS definitely leaving Latrobe. It's ALL about Da Benjamins when it comes to Plex, and BOTH of those teams have way more to offer.[/quote]

:lol: A keyboard rambo....calling me "son"...I love it. :lol:

I said that tongue in cheek Stallone.

Chill.

fordfixer
07-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Burress, Steelers have mutual interest

By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 470760516a (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Burress-Steelers-have-mutual-interest/41f7b476-3784-407d-90ed-aa470760516a)
Posted 2 hours ago

LATROBE, Pa. – The Steelers have 88 players under contract as their 2011 training camp entered its third day, but the most media interest was focused on one who is neither theirs nor under contract.

Plaxico Burress visited with the Steelers on Saturday at Saint Vincent College. He had breakfast with Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert, and then he met with Coach Mike Tomlin.

After being hired by the Steelers to head their personnel department, Colbert made Burress his inaugural No. 1 draft pick, and Burress spent five years in Pittsburgh before leaving as an unrestricted free agent for the New York Giants. There are still 11 players on the team’s roster and five assistant coaches remaining with the Steelers today who worked with Burress during his time here.

“We haven’t lost track,” said Colbert. “We had to catch up where he is from a family standpoint, because when he left he didn’t have any kids and now he has two. There are some things that come back as soon as you see him. There’s a lot of familiarity with some of the old players, and it looked good.”

Burress is best known for his catch that allowed the Giants to beat the 18-0 New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, but he also caught 261 passes for 4,164 yards and 22 touchdowns during his seasons with the Steelers. He posted back-to-back 1,000-yard receiving seasons in 2001-02, and he averaged 19.9 yards per catch in 2004, his one season with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

“There’s always a comfort zone when you know the player you might bring back, just like last year with Byron Leftwich and Larry Foote and Antwaan Randle El,” said Colbert. “If you’ve had a guy previously, we know what to expect from him and he knows what to expect from the organization. Coach Tomlin wasn’t here when Plax was, so it’s more of a getting-to-know each other for those two.”

At this time, however, there’s a bit more to it than Burress wanting to come back to the Steelers and the Steelers willing to have him come back.

“We have some salary cap issues,” said Colbert. “Coming out of an uncapped year, we knew we probably did some things that would have exceeded a salary cap had there been one in place. We always try to keep track of where we might be and the damage we could possibly occur in the future, but we knew it was unavoidable that we would have to terminate some pretty prominent players just to be in compliance with the cap.”

Those terminations already have included both of the guys who were their starting tackles at the start of the 2010 season – Max Starks and Flozell Adams – plus receiver Antwaan Randle El.

“We’re still trying to get into compliance with the cap, which goes into effect on Aug. 4,” said Colbert. “We’ll be doing some renegotiating to try to get into compliance. There still could be some further terminations and there could be some roster additions. We went into this period knowing it was going to be very fluid and that we would have to be very flexible with all of our options.”

There have been reports that Burress has a $10 million offer from the Giants to return there, but the accuracy of that number is unknown. Burress visited the Giants before coming to see the Steelers.

“Demand will drive that market, and then we have to decide whether we want to be in it or not,” said Colbert. “Then we have to decide, if we do get in it then what it’s going to cost us on the other end? Can we handle it?”

Burress has been out of football for the last two years while serving time in prison for a weapons violation in New York City, but Colbert said the Steelers will not work him out during his time here.

“We could, but we’re not going to,” said Colbert. “Usually when we’re dealing with veteran free agents, we’ve seen enough of their work. If we were to advance to a contract, we would have to do a physical to see where he is. But from what I’ve seen, he looks great from a conditioning standpoint. Of course, he’s missed two years of football, and until he gets back on the football field nobody is going to know. I don’t think a workout could accurately show where he would be. That’s the risk we would have to take.”

With Randle El gone, the Steelers have 11 receivers able to practice, plus Hines Ward who is on the physically unable to perform list after having thumb surgery some weeks ago. Ward and Mike Wallace are the incumbent starters, and second-year pros Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown both had productive rookie seasons and appear poised to do even better in 2011. Is there room there for Burress, and how would he fit into the group?

“That’s part of the investigation that goes on today, to watch the interaction,” said Colbert. “A player of that significance who has been here before, he has a lot of friends on this team. He has a lot of people he’s comfortable being around. The players he doesn’t know – you have to factor that in – could it affect their role? You have to weigh that just like the economics. You don’t really know until you add the guy to your team, but knowing that he has been here before and knowing that a lot of our players are comfortable with him, I think it creates a pretty positive scenario.

“I don’t want to get in to specifics, but Plax is interested, Drew Rosenhaus, his agent, is interested, and we’re certainly interested, so where it goes we’ll find out.”

SteelBucks
07-30-2011, 02:39 PM
The Fan said that numbers have been exchanged between Plax and the Steelers. Also, Omar Khan just arrived.

This feels like another Jagr Watch to me but I guess we'll see. I'm open to him returning but at a reasonable #3 WR price tag.

steelz09
07-30-2011, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't mind a Plexiglass return :)

We would be loaded at WR. My only concern is playing time for the younger explosive WRs.

You have Wallace, Sanders, Brown that should all see the field. Who knows where Sweed fits into the equation.

Ward will obviously see the field.

And now possibly Plax.

Let's not forget we still have Miller and Mendy to distribute the ball to.

This could seriously cause brain overload for someone like Bruce Arians

Steelgal
07-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Just got back and can't type all the tweets I've gotton, but basically Plax has been there 6 hours today. Went to lunch with the guys. then he, Ike, Colbert, and Omar were on 2nd floor of room talking. Plax was then seen on balcony on phone laughing. Last tweet states that he went back to 2nd floor of building which is same room/area that all other deals have been signed this week.

Kaboly said doesn't want to speculate, but he looks AWFUL comfortable hanging around for a guy who is a free agent.

SteelBucks
07-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Just got back and can't type all the tweets I've gotton, but basically Plax has been there 6 hours today. Went to lunch with the guys. then he, Ike, Colbert, and Omar were on 2nd floor of room talking. Plax was then seen on balcony on phone laughing. Last tweet states that he went back to 2nd floor of building which is same room/area that all other deals have been signed this week.

Kaboly said doesn't want to speculate, but he looks AWFUL comfortable hanging around for a guy who is a free agent.

Plax just left St. Vincent with his agent. Now the waiting game begins.

grotonsteel
07-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Eagles | Plaxico Burress interested
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:19:28 -0700

Free-agent WR Plaxico Burress (Giants) has his eyes on joining the Philadelphia Eagles, according to a source close to the receiver.

James Walker

BTW Plex has left da house...if they have not signed by now this deal is not happening.

Jest,49ers and Beagles are interested in Plex.

Beagles don't want to sign Deshaun Jackson??????

Steelgal
07-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Yep, just coming to post that. Something I read from can't remember from who, said if he left, they didnt feel as good about being able to sign him. We're trying to get him to stay and sign. With the rumors that the Jets and 49ers are interested, wanted him to sign and not even talk to them. Have to wait and see.

SteelBucks
07-30-2011, 03:09 PM

Yep, just coming to post that. Something I read from can't remember from who, said if he left, they didnt feel as good about being able to sign him. We're trying to get him to stay and sign. With the rumors that the Jets and 49ers are interested, wanted him to sign and not even talk to them. Have to wait and see.

Farrior said that.

SteelBucks
07-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Eagles | Plaxico Burress interested
Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:19:28 -0700

Free-agent WR Plaxico Burress (Giants) has his eyes on joining the Philadelphia Eagles, according to a source close to the receiver.

James Walker

BTW Plex has left da house...if they have not signed by now this deal is not happening.

Jest,49ers and Beagles are interested in Plex.

Beagles don't want to sign Deshaun Jackson??????

NFL Network said it will come down to three teams: Steelers, Jets and the 49ers being a long shot. Apparently Plax doesn't want to play on the West Coast but I'm sure a nice contract would change his mind. Jets need a replacement for Braylon.

grotonsteel
07-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Some more Tweets:

MarkKaboly_Trib Mark Kaboly
it all comes down to if Steelers can find cap room for him but they do have 5 days to re-work some numbers with existing contracts#PlaxWatch

My professional opinion is it's done deal. Plax is a steeler. Stranger things have happened. Right, @RobRossi_Trib? #JagrWatch. Stay tuned

#PlaxWatch is over for now but stay tuned. Time to go see what the 88 players that currently make up #steelers are doing on field.Stay tuned

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 03:29 PM
I think the biggest reason Plax is entertaining other offers is because he wants to be a number 2 at least. If the Steelers said he would be a 3 behind wallace and Ward he'll be gone.

He should be a 2 here. He and Wallace on the outside would be great. Also, I see us running more 3 to 4 sets this season and then the difference between a 2 and a 3 is negated.

Stay tuned I guess. But I bet he signs with either the Eagles or Jets.

grotonsteel
07-30-2011, 03:37 PM
I think the biggest reason Plax is entertaining other offers is because he wants to be a number 2 at least. If the Steelers said he would be a 3 behind wallace and Ward he'll be gone.

He should be a 2 here. He and Wallace on the outside would be great. Also, I see us running more 3 to 4 sets this season and then the difference between a 2 and a 3 is negated.

I think Jets more likely with Edwards moving out.

Beagles have Jackson and Maclin as 1-2 right now. I don't see Plex being a No.2 there.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 03:45 PM

I think Jets more likely with Edwards moving out.

Beagles have Jackson and Maclin as 1-2 right now. I don't see Plex being a No.2 there.
You're probably right.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-30-2011, 04:27 PM
put eddie down as a no to plax.

i just don't feel it would be worth the 10 million he reportedly would command as well as the fact it might slow the progress of our young WR's.

sometimes the past is better left there.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-30-2011, 04:34 PM
put eddie down as a no to plax.

i just don't feel it would be worth the 10 million he reportedly would command as well as the fact it might slow the progress of our young WR's.

sometimes the past is better left there.
I would imagine a lot of that money would be incentive based.

1000 yards....mill
100 catches...mill
pro bowl...mill or so.

I don't think there is a team that would sign him to a two year deal worth 10 mill with his being out of the league for two years.

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Updated: July 30, 2011

Plaxico Burress meets with Steelers

By James Walker
ESPN.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers officially have entered the Plaxico Burress sweepstakes. General manager Kevin Colbert confirmed the team met with its 2000 first-round pick early Saturday morning, just one day after Burress met with the New York Giants, another former team.

According to Colbert, there have been no contract negotiations with the free-agent wide receiver, who was released from prison earlier this summer. But overall it was a productive visit.

"Drew [Rosenhaus], his agent, is interested, and we're certainly interested," Colbert said. "So where it goes, we will find out."

Colbert will meet with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin later in the day to gauge his feelings and where Burress, 34, potentially could fit. The next step would be determining a price tag. The Steelers did not work out Burress Saturday.

"We've seen enough of [Burress'] work. Of course, if we advance to a contract, we'd have to do a physical and see where he is physically," Colbert said. "But from what I've seen he looks great from a conditioning standpoint. Of course, he's missed two years of football. Until he gets back on the football field, nobody is going to know that."

Burress was released from prison on June 6 after serving 20 months for a gun charge.

A source close to Burress said Friday night that Burress has his eyes on the Philadelphia Eagles, who can deliver another monster blow to the Giants if they land Burress. The Eagles stunned many with their signing of top free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha Friday.

Burress spent about 90 minutes Friday evening meeting with Giants coach Tom Coughlin, general manager Jerry Reese, owner John Mara and several of his former teammates.

"I would say it was positive conversations all the way around," Reese said. "I thought we had a good visit. We will see what comes out of this. Again, we don't bring people in for the fun of it. We bring people in to investigate if it's a possibility for the New York Giants. We think it's probably a possibility and we will see where it goes."

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68185 ... h-steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6818541/plaxico-burress-meets-pittsburgh-steelershttp://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6818541/plaxico-burress-meets-pittsburgh-steelers)

papillon
07-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Plex would easily be the #2 and probably the #1 receiver for the Steelers. Wallace doesn't have the experience and Ward is old and slowing down. Plex and Ben had good chemistry when he was a Steeler. Plex and Wallace would be #1 and #2 and the receiver with the most yards and catches in Steeler history becomes #3.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Plaxico Burress to visit 49ers next

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 30, 2011

After a positive visit with the Steelers today, Plaxico Burress is getting ready for a cross-country flight.

Burress will visit the 49ers today, Steve Serby of the New York Post reports.

Although Serby says Burress will then visit the Jets tomorrow, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that Burress hasn’t decided yet whether he’ll visit the Jets, and that if Burress stays in New York it would be with the Giants.

We had previously noted that there were reports calling the 49ers long shots to land Burress. But if Burress and the 49ers’ brass both think a face-to-face visit is worth their time on this busiest of NFL days, and if Burress is considering turning down invitations to visit other teams, there must be a realistic chance that it could happen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 9ers-next/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/plaxico-burress-to-visit-49ers-next/)

Oviedo
07-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Don't waste the camp repetitions and game opportunities that could help Sanders, Brown and even Sweed develop on a WR with no future.

Just say NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Updated: August 1, 2011

Gang Green bounces back with Burress

By Ian O'Connor
ESPNNewYork.com

We already knew the New York Jets could talk a big game, a bigger game than they could play. We knew they could guarantee championships, and call Tom Brady vulgar names and carry themselves with the swagger of a dynastic team-to-be.

But we didn't know if they could take a punch, until now.

The Jets were embarrassed the other day when they lost Nnamdi Asomugha to the Philadelphia Eagles, this after asking just about everyone except Joe Namath and Don Maynard to restructure their deals to make Asomugha theirs.

The rejection rocked the foundation of the Jets' program, the core belief that every free agent worth a damn was desperate to play for Rex Ryan. With the rest of the AFC surely mocking them in private, reveling in their misery, the Jets needed to reestablish their credibility as a preferred destination for the stars.

Plaxico Burress gives them that credibility at the Giants' expense.

This isn't to say Burress will be for the Jets what he was for the Giants on that indelible night in the Arizona desert, when he took painkilling injections in his knee before scoring the winning touchdown in a Super Bowl upset over New England that Giants owner John Mara called the franchise's greatest victory of all.

Burress spent 21 months in prison for accidentally shooting himself in a Manhattan nightclub, he hasn't played an NFL down in more than two seasons and he will turn 34 before opening night against the Cowboys on Sept. 11.

But Burress is still a 6-foot-5 receiver with strong hands and a condor's wingspan. Jerry Reese, the Giants' general manager, forever referred to Burress as a "Spider-Man," and one who would benefit every quarterback in the league.

So yes, once he steadies his legs, Burress will benefit Mark Sanchez, a guy who needs a lot of help near the goal line. Burress would've benefited Eli Manning, too, even if Eli didn't sound any more eager to spend another season with Plax than he would've been to take a two-week Caribbean cruise with Jeremy Shockey and Tiki Barber.

Reese realized as much, invited Burress to the Giants' facility, and made an offer of employment. Reese and Tom Coughlin have issues all over the field. They need a playmaker or three, especially since the team in Philly using them as a divisional doormat gets better every hour, on the hour.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0731/ny_a_tannenbaum1x_300.jpg

Only Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum wanted Burress more than Reese did. Tannenbaum had spent the week chasing every available big name outside of Ubaldo Jimenez, and the Asomugha disaster left him itching to spend money and save face.

Tannenbaum offered Burress one year and $3.017 million, fully guaranteed, and ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was the first to report that Burress took the deal. On a day when the Giants did nothing of significance, when even the Yankees stood still at the non-waiver trade deadline, the Jets seized the marketplace by the throat.

With Plaxico Burress ready to return to the NFL, let's look back on the ex-Giants wide receiver's career. Photo gallery

Within hours, Matt Higgins, a team executive, tweeted that Plaxico jerseys were on sale for 80 bucks a pop. To the victor go the spoils.

And this was a victory for the Jets, even if Burress returns as a diminished asset who requires half a season of reps before becoming a credible game-day threat. The Jets couldn't afford to pay Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards. They needed a relatively cheap, short-term complement to their chosen No. 1, Holmes, and they're gambling that Burress will be a bigger, better option than Edwards inside the 20 in the postseason tournament.

It's a good gamble, and Tannenbaum has majored in those. The GM has had a Vernon Gholston or two, but he's traded up in recent drafts for Sanchez, Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Dustin Keller and Shonn Greene. Tannenbaum has a rising franchise player at quarterback, two Super Bowl stars at receiver, maybe the best defensive player in New York since Lawrence Taylor in his secondary and, oh yeah, an outsized head coach in Ryan who has led his team to the AFC title game in each of his first two years.

The Burress bulletin only advanced a trend. Same Bold Jets.

"I just look at all the pieces to the puzzle that are already in place," Burress said on a Sunday conference call with reporters. "Putting myself into this equation, being able to play besides Santonio Holmes, LaDainian Tomlinson, Mark Sanchez, I just feel it's a great new opportunity for me. I just want to come here and help these guys win."

Burress made his decision Sunday morning in the Los Angeles airport, and made it without even talking to Ryan. The receiver said he was touched by a recruiting visit paid him by Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson in the spring of 2009, before he went off to jail.

"It really meant a lot to me and my family," Burress said.

So did the guaranteed cash. Burress cost himself millions, and needs to make up for lost time.

The Giants are poorer for it, and so are two potential Super Bowl teams, the Eagles and Steelers, whose quarterbacks wanted Plax to the max.

The Jets landed Burress because they needed him more than the competition did. Asomugha's end-around made them look a little silly and a lot vulnerable.

The Burress signing makes the Giants look the same way.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_ ... ll-punches (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6822093/plaxico-burress-deal-shows-new-york-jets-mike-tannenbaum-roll-punches)