PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Suisham re-signed per Chatham-Kent Daily Post

Steelgal
07-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Some breaking news from the pro sports world, which has a direct connection with Wallaceburg.

NFL kicker and WDSS grad Shaun Suisham has agreed to a new contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Terms of the deal are not known at this time, but we have confirmed with Suisham that an agreement is in place.

Suisham joined the Steelers mid-way through last season, and helped them reach the Super Bowl, where they fell to the Green Bay Packers.

Following the season, a 4 and a half month long lock-out, halted any player transactions.

But after Monday’s labour settlement, this has allowed teams to begin signing players and filling out their rosters.

Stay tuned to 99.1 CKXS for the latest information.

Steelgal
07-27-2011, 01:44 PM
here's link to article

http://ckdp.ca/2011/07/27/shaun-suisham ... -steelers/ (http://ckdp.ca/2011/07/27/shaun-suisham-agrees-to-deal-with-pittsburgh-steelers/)

steelblood
07-27-2011, 01:45 PM
i hope it is a non-guaranteed contract.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2011, 01:48 PM
i hope it is a non-guaranteed contract.

Like every other NFL contract, the signing bonus will be guaranteed, and the yearly salary will not.

Oviedo
07-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm really surprised they are not looking to at least have some compettion for the Kicker position. Suisham wasn't terrible but he wasn't great either.

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm really surprised they are not looking to at least have some compettion for the Kicker position. Suisham wasn't terrible but he wasn't great either.

Suisham made 14 out of 15 FGs during the regular season for a 93.3% success rate, which I would consider pretty good although I will admit his 52 yard FG attempt in the Super Bowl was pretty ugly.

http://youtu.be/t-5jmEqiBCY

Chadman
07-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Not as bad as was advertised coming in, seemed to play the Heinz Field conditions ok.

Missed a FG in the SB, but 52 yarders are rarely guarentees.

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Steelers have deal with kicker Suisham, sign 2nd punter

Wednesday, July 27, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers nailed down another one of their core priorities among free agents when they came to terms with kicker Shaun Suisham, the team announced this afternoon.

Terms of the deal were not immediately available. Suisham joined the Steelers at mid-season after they released long-time kicker Jeff Reed. Suisham made 14 of his 15 field goal tries in the final seven regular season games but missed one from 43 yards in the playoff game against Baltimore and a 52-yarder in the Super Bowl against Green Bay.

The Post-Gazette reported that Suisham and cornerback Ike Taylor, who came to terms on Tuesday, were among four players who were priorities for the Steelers in free agency. The others are tackles Willie Colon and Jonathan Scott, although Colon appeared headed elsewhere.

The Steelers are negotiating with Scott's agent and also have told tackle Flozell Adams they want him back.

Earlier today, the Steelers announced they signed a second punter to their roster and appear to be ready to replace veteran Daniel Sepulveda, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Aaron Bates, who punted for Michigan State, became the 19th rookie free agent to sign a contract with the Steelers this week. He joins Jeremy Kapinos, who punted for the Steelers last season after an injury to Sepulveda, on their roster heading to training camp Thursday.

Sepulveda, a fourth-round draft choice in 2007, missed the final four games of the regular season and the entire post-season last year after his second torn ACL during his time with the Steelers and his third since 2006. He missed the entire 2008 season with the same injury. He also had a torn ACL in the spring of his final season at Baylor.

The team also announced the hirings of Nathan LoCascio as the public relations/media manager and Sonia Gysland as an assistant athletic trainer.

Gysland is only the second full-time female athletic trainer in the NFL, after replacing Ariko Iso, who is now the head athletic trainer at Oregon State University.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11208/11 ... z1TLWC5jIY (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11208/1163256-100.stm#ixzz1TLWC5jIY)

steelz09
07-27-2011, 08:17 PM
I just don't see room to keep Colon. And I think it's risky to pay him big bucks w/ that type of injury. AND, I don't he's anywhere near top 5 at RT.

I think the tackle position could unfold like this over the next couple of years:

Max Starks - LT

J. Scott - RT

When the Starks' days are over, I see Scott at LT and Gilbert at RT. Gilbert will compete at RG this year.

I personally think our offensive line has a lot of young talent. Foster vs. Gilbert could be great competition in camp.

Kemo could quite possibly be our weakest offensive lineman.

calmkiller
07-27-2011, 11:00 PM
I just don't see room to keep Colon. And I think it's risky to pay him big bucks w/ that type of injury. AND, I don't he's anywhere near top 5 at RT.

I think the tackle position could unfold like this over the next couple of years:

Max Starks - LT

J. Scott - RT

When the Starks' days are over, I see Scott at LT and Gilbert at RT. Gilbert will compete at RG this year.

I personally think our offensive line has a lot of young talent. Foster vs. Gilbert could be great competition in camp.

Kemo could quite possibly be our weakest offensive lineman.

Word from Wexell is Starks was cut. so his time is up now. Plenty of room for colon.

plainnasty
07-27-2011, 11:37 PM
I'd prefer David Ackers over Suisham.

AkronSteel
07-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Suisham had a solid year for the Steelers after replacing Reed. He probably isn't the best kicker in the league but he did seem to handle Heinz Field just fine and that is a big thing for the team. It's not the easiest place to kick as we all know. The missed FG in the Super Bowl actually wasn't all his fault. The hold was terrible. I was actually kind of hoping the team would pursue a guy like Akers or Crosby but if this is the direction they felt comfortable, then I support it.

Solid Move!!!

Northern_Blitz
07-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Some breaking news from the pro sports world, which has a direct connection with Wallaceburg.

NFL kicker and WDSS grad Shaun Suisham has agreed to a new contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Terms of the deal are not known at this time, but we have confirmed with Suisham that an agreement is in place.

Suisham joined the Steelers mid-way through last season, and helped them reach the Super Bowl, where they fell to the Green Bay Packers.

Following the season, a 4 and a half month long lock-out, halted any player transactions.

But after Monday’s labour settlement, this has allowed teams to begin signing players and filling out their rosters.

Stay tuned to 99.1 CKXS for the latest information.

I think this is OK, but I hope he has some competition.

As for the news coming out of Chatham Kent, that's crazy! My grandparents have a cottage in C-K (by Erieau). They changed the signs this year, but I always thought that the "Welcome to Chatham Kent" sign coming in from Toronto looked like Bart Simpson's head.

ikestops85
07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
I'd prefer David Ackers over Suisham.

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Ackers would be a big improvement.

sentinel33
07-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Suisham has never been known for having a strong leg.
That 52 yarder should never have been attempted.
I just didn't like the call.

I would prefer a competition.

But I'm cool with Suisham.

Captain Lemming
07-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Wow with this signing I might as well make plans for the SB.
Wait.....What???? Matt Spaeth signed with the Bears????

Cancel that plan. :shock: