PDA

View Full Version : No More Sepulveda????

steelerkeylargo
07-27-2011, 11:58 AM
The Steelers have added a 19th undrafted rookie free agent, and his name is Aaron Bates. Bates (6-0, 198) is a punter from Michigan State, and he played in every one of the Spartans' 52 games during his career, all as the punter and holder. Bates left Michigan State ranked second in school history with 260 punts and seventh in punting average at 42.0.

insanesteelersfan
07-27-2011, 12:06 PM
The Steelers have added a 19th undrafted rookie free agent, and his name is Aaron Bates. Bates (6-0, 198) is a punter from Michigan State, and he played in every one of the Spartans' 52 games during his career, all as the punter and holder. Bates left Michigan State ranked second in school history with 260 punts and seventh in punting average at 42.0.

Every single NFL team has multiple punters in training camp,,,ALL of them. So how the hell do you equate this to Sepulveda not returning ? :wft

chiken
07-27-2011, 12:23 PM
How far over the Cap are we, how much does Sep Cost to keep, and how healthy is he?

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2011, 12:24 PM

Every single NFL team has multiple punters in training camp,,,ALL of them. So how the hell do you equate this to Sepulveda not returning ? :wft

Well, our two were going to be Jeremy Kapinos and Daniel Sepulveda...now this Bates guy gets added to the mix. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that camp opens tomorrow, but all newly signed free agent players (such as Ike Taylor, and theoretically Daniel Sepulveda if we are able to re-sign him) are not able to report to camp until August 4 (I think), even though contracts can become official this Friday (7-29-11). It has something to do with the start of the league year or something like that. Perhaps they wanted a second punter for that first week of camp. Of course, the same would hold true for Suisham, who is also a free agent, and we haven't signed a 2nd kicker to join Swayze Waters for the first week of camp, though.

steelz09
07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
The Sepulveda draft pick has to go down as one of the worst Steelers draft picks in recent memory. He was drafted WAY to high.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2011, 12:42 PM
The Sepulveda draft pick has to go down as one of the worst Steelers draft picks in recent memory. He was drafted WAY to high.

Getting Sepulveda in the 4th round was much better than using 3rd round picks on Bruce Davis and Kraig Urbik the following two years.

feltdizz
07-27-2011, 12:44 PM

only because of injuries.... he was worth the gamble given our punting woes at the time.

BURGH86STEEL
07-27-2011, 01:39 PM

only because of injuries.... he was worth the gamble given our punting woes at the time.

People should remember these things when the find flaws in the Steelers. Steelers attempted to upgrade the special teams. Didn't work out as expected.

Djfan
07-27-2011, 02:02 PM

People should remember these things when the find flaws in the Steelers. Steelers attempted to upgrade the special teams. Didn't work out as expected.

$$$$

If he had not been injured, we would all be talking about the genius of the staff in getting him.

steelblood
07-27-2011, 02:09 PM
42 yard average? Geesh, I hope that is net yards.

Oviedo
07-27-2011, 02:49 PM

$$$$

If he had not been injured, we would all be talking about the genius of the staff in getting him.

:Agree Too many latch on to an issue using hindsight to try to make themselves sound smart. The year before we drafted Sepulveda our special teams were atrocious. It was a good pick given the context of the previous season. Injuries just screwed the kid.

Starlifter
07-27-2011, 03:08 PM
at the time I thought the pick was inspired. The only thing I ever agreed with Al Davis about was when he said the first play on defense is usually the punt. that's why he went after Ray Guy. That's why I thought it was a good pick. Injuries derailed him and we'll never know what he COULD have been - but I thought it was a great call and had tremendous upside on the ROI. Heck, we still made 2 superbowls without him. sometimes things don't work out - but I was thrilled the steelers reached for a player to address our ST issues. It's not like we had a decade of success before he arrived. quick test - see how many names of punters before danny you can remember in 10 seconds.

I came up with one.

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2011, 03:42 PM

Adam Bates' average may not look so good at first glance but he placed 85 of his 260 career punts (33%) inside the opponent's 20 yard line, which is pretty impressive and valuable in terms of winning the battle of field position.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Adam Bates' average may not look so good at first glance but he placed 85 of his 260 career punts (33%) inside the opponent's 20 yard line, which is pretty impressive and valuable in terms of winning the battle of field position.

Sepulveda has downed 73 of his 196 punts as a Steeler (37%) inside the 20 (with only 14 touchbacks).

Flasteel
07-27-2011, 05:52 PM

$$$$

:Agree Too many latch on to an issue using hindsight to try to make themselves sound smart. The year before we drafted Sepulveda our special teams were atrocious. It was a good pick given the context of the previous season. Injuries just screwed the kid.

I share the same opinion as you guys on this, but as far as I'm concerned, the final report card hasn't been turned in yet. This guy from Michigan State is just a camp leg and the primary reason may be to allow Sepulveda to work himself back in more slowly...we don't know. I wouldn't bet my next paycheck on Sep staying healthy, but if he can move forward injury-free, the pick could still very well turn out to be a steal.

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Ed: Looks Like Sepulveda's Days Done Here

WEDNESDAY, 27 JULY 2011 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Goodbye Daniel Sepulveda, and do any of you still think he was worth the two draft picks the Steelers forfeited in 2007 to get him?

They signed an undrafted rookie punter from Michigan State today, Aaron Bates. He joins Jeremy Kapinos, who punted for the Steelers last season after an injury to Sepulveda, on their roster heading to training camp Thursday.

As you may know, I was against the Sepulveda drafting right from the start because I thought they gave up too much for him – they traded picks in the fourth and sixth rounds to move higher in the fourth round to get him. This, even though he tore his ACL a year earlier. Turns out, it wouldn't be the only time. He tore it twice in his four seasons with the Steelers.

Even had he remained healthy, he wasn't worth the cost. As a rookie, he averaged 42.4 yards gross and 37.9 yards net. In his only other healthyu season, 2009, he averaged 42.7 gross and 37.1 net. Sorry, but that's not close to being special. You can find those punters anywhere, as the Steelers likely did today.

Sepulveda, though, was a popular punter, handsome, good guy, etc. When he would on occasion boom one, some smartaleck in the press box would invariably turn to me and say, “What do you think of him now, Ed?'' Still didn't like the pick, I'd say. And I've long been proven correct.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... -done-here (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/110939-ed-looks-like-sepulvedas-days-done-here)

fordfixer
07-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Aaron Bates signs with Steelers

Written by
Sam Blackburn
http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/ ... y=nav|head (http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/article/20110727/SPORTS/110727013/Aaron-Bates-signs-Steelers?odyssey=nav|head)

When Michigan State University head coach Mark Dantonio visited Zanesville in May, he said he was confident that his punter Aaron Bates would make it to the NFL.

He proved prophetic.

Bates, a former three-sport star at John Glenn and Michigan State’s All-Big Ten punter, got a step closer to that on Wednesday. He signed as an undrafted rookie free agent with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

He was in New Concord when his agent called with the news. Within two hours he was in Pittsburgh signing a contract and taking a physical.

“(Tuesday night) there still wasn’t anything (concrete),” Bates said in a phone interview. “Then he called me (Wednesday) and told me I was a Steeler. We had some people interested. ... I knew he would pick the right place for me.”

He will report to conditioning today with the rest of the team. According to the Steelers’ official website, Bates is one of 19 undrafted rookies they have added.

Dantonio called Bates “the finest punter I have seen in my time as a coach.”

“He thrived under pressure and never been stressed,” Dantonio said. “There is no doubt in my mind he will punt in the NFL.”

The Steelers’ punting situation is in flux.

Starter Dan Sepulveda missed the final four games of the 2010 season with a torn ACL and is now an unrestricted free agent.

His replacement, Jeremy Kampinos, is the only other punter on the roster and averaged just 41.1 yards and netted only 32.3.

Bates, who averaged 45 yards on 57 punts his senior season at MSU, ranked first in the Big Ten and 13th nationally. He was a first-team All-Conference selection by both the media and coaches.

Bates isn’t sure of the Steelers’ plans, but he got the vibe he and Kampinos would compete for the starting job.

“I wasn’t sure if the lockout, and what was going to happen there, was going to hurt me or not,” Bates said. “But I still got an opportunity, which is great. I didn’t have as much time to work out with the coaches and what not, but that’s why you work all summer. You got about three weeks to prove yourself.”

Bates grew up a Browns fan, but he’s nonetheless thrilled with the chance to play for one of the league’s most storied franchises.

“It’s a good fit,” Bates said. “It’s close to home, and being from the north I’m used to kicking in bad weather. I think it’s definitely going to help me in this next step for sure.”

Anticipating an opportunity to join a team for camp, Bates spent much of his time in the summer working out and practicing at John Glenn with the Muskies’ football team.

Kelley raved about Bates’ physical development, weight room work ethic and willingness to share his knowledge with John Glenn’s current players.

He said many within the Muskies’ community — he also played basketball and baseball at the school — have waited anxiously for Bates to get his chance in the league.

“He’s just a driven, disciplined young man,” Kelley said. “His maturity was always off the charts, and that’s unusual for someone that age. I’m a big Steelers fan, so obviously I’m going to enjoy this as much as anyone.”

Bates is not the first John Glenn player to get a shot at the NFL. Nate Morrow, a 1997 graduate, played linebacker for Vanderbilt and was signed as a college free agent by Tennessee.

He was one of the final players cut and is the only player in Titans history to be brought back to camp after previously being cut.

Kelley said both players are an example of what can happen when players realize their potential.

“It sends a message,” Kelley said. “For our kids to see (Bates’) work ethic in the weight room and see the phenomenal talent, and how he’s developed that, it can’t do anything but encourage our kids.”

Bates played in each of the Spartans’ 52 games during his career as a starting punter and holder, according to the school’s website.

He finished his career among the school’s all-time leaders in punts, punting yards and punting average, and was the first punter to be named captain in the school’s 114-year history.

Bates made national highlight reels last year when he threw a game-winning, 29-yard touchdown pass to tight end Charlie Gantt on a fake field goal in overtime as Michigan State rallied past Notre Dame 34-31.

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2011, 02:57 AM
Daniel Sepulveda: Texans will host Sepulveda on Saturday

Jul. 28 - 9:17 pm et

The Texans will host free agent P Daniel Sepulveda for a free agent visit on Saturday.

The Steelers will apparently move forward with Jeremy Kapinos as their first-string punter. Sepulveda is coming off the third right ACL tear of his career. He's a quality punter when healthy, but his medical check will be key.

Source: Pro Football Weekly

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 559&spln=1 (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4419&line=207559&spln=1)

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Daniel Sepulveda: Texans will host Sepulveda on Saturday

Jul. 28 - 9:17 pm et

The Texans will host free agent P Daniel Sepulveda for a free agent visit on Saturday.

The Steelers will apparently move forward with Jeremy Kapinos as their first-string punter. Sepulveda is coming off the third right ACL tear of his career. He's a quality punter when healthy, but his medical check will be key.

Source: Pro Football Weekly

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 559&spln=1 (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4419&line=207559&spln=1)

This sucks. Sepulveda is better punter than Kapinos. Sure, he seems to have a propensity for getting hurt. But if he happens to blow out his knee again, then sign Kapinos off the street again (which would be the predicament we are in now anyway).

Jigawatts
07-31-2011, 07:37 AM
I saw on KDKA last night that Sepulveda signed with the Steelers pending a physical.
Can't find a link though, so your going to have to take my word for it. :D

Jigawatts
07-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Here it is :oops:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/07/ ... sepulveda/ (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/07/30/steelers-sign-daniel-sepulveda/)

Pittsburgh (KDKA)- The Steelers will have a nice battle for their starting punters position.

Tonight, Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review is reporting that the team has resigned free agent Daniel Sepulveda

The deal is pending Sepulveda passing a physical on his right knee.

If he does, the Steelers will have three punters in training camp.

Sepulveda averaged 45.5 yards per punt last season before tearing the ACL in his right knee.

Sepulveda will be competing against Jeremy Kapinos and undrafted free agent Aaron Bates.

phillyesq
07-31-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm glad to have Sepulvda back, and almost happier to see that Bouchette was wrong in his prediction.

Sepulvda never quite boomed the ball the way we hoped/expected, but he has always been very good pinning opponents inside the 20.

Good move.

steelblood
07-31-2011, 09:15 AM
i hope bates is given a chance to beat out sep. I like sep, but he has quite an injury history. bates should be given every opportunity and the most talented punter should be kept.

Shawn
07-31-2011, 09:56 AM

Getting Sepulveda in the 4th round was much better than using 3rd round picks on Bruce Davis and Kraig Urbik the following two years.

Agreed and may I add Spaeth. I am in the great minority but I like Sep...maybe not for a 4th but I like the guy.

RuthlessBurgher
07-31-2011, 09:44 PM
i hope bates is given a chance to beat out sep. I like sep, but he has quite an injury history. bates should be given every opportunity and the most talented punter should be kept.

We put Sepulveda on I.R. twice. Both times we made the Super Bowl that year. When he stayed healthy the whole year, we didn't make it to the Super Bowl. Coincidence...or something more? Perhaps get goes down to injury again and we make another Super Bowl. :wink: