PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes re-signs for 5 years and 50 Million dollars!

insanesteelersfan
07-27-2011, 11:24 AM
....And over half of that is Guaranteed Money! Wow! 50 Million for a Guy with Holmes track record, and with production that Isn't even close to our own Mike Wallace. Man, I wish us luck in trying to re-up our own WR after this year! :Cheers

50 Million Dollars ??? Man, that sure can buy ALOT of Weed :wink:

Oviedo
07-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Anyone want to take odds whether Stupidio gets his third strike and is suspended for a year?????

This is why we traded him last year. This is ridiculous money for a gut with his record.

MaxAMillion
07-27-2011, 11:51 AM
How is Holmes not close to Wallace's numbers? How do you define close? Plus Holmes had a young unproven QB throwing to him. You can expect Holmes's numbers to go up as Sanchez gets better.

Holmes was a terrific receiver for the Steelers (funny how Steeler fans decide to ignore all the great plays he made for Pittsburgh) and he will be terrific for the Jets.

insanesteelersfan
07-27-2011, 12:03 PM
How is Holmes not close to Wallace's numbers? How do you define close? Plus Holmes had a young unproven QB throwing to him. You can expect Holmes's numbers to go up as Sanchez gets better.

Holmes was a terrific receiver for the Steelers (funny how Steeler fans decide to ignore all the great plays he made for Pittsburgh) and he will be terrific for the Jets.

I'm not Ignoring nothing. As for Holmes having a young, Inexperienced QB throwing to him....BS! And even if so, look at Holmes first two years in Pittsburgh with a SUPER BOWL Winning QB throwing to him. Compare his first 2 years with Wallace's first 2 years. And I'm not even factoring in Holmes two arrests, and suspensions. And he gets THAT kinda Jack ?

Hey, good for him. But don't try to tell me that Holmes has changed his ways, cause I am not that stupid! But please, don't be say'in that Holmes first 2 year production is anywhere close to Wallace, and what he has showed in his first 2 years.

flippy
07-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Holmes is the more complete WR. He just doesn't have wallaces deep speed. We might have won a SB last year if we had Holmes We probably couldn't have afforded this contract but definitely could have used him on the last drive last yr when none of our receivers were getting open on that last drive.

ikestops85
07-27-2011, 12:16 PM

I'm not Ignoring nothing. As for Holmes having a young, Inexperienced QB throwing to him....BS! And even if so, look at Holmes first two years in Pittsburgh with a SUPER BOWL Winning QB throwing to him. Compare his first 2 years with Wallace's first 2 years. And I'm not even factoring in Holmes two arrests, and suspensions. And he gets THAT kinda Jack ?

Hey, good for him. But don't try to tell me that Holmes has changed his ways, cause I am not that stupid! But please, don't be say'in that Holmes first 2 year production is anywhere close to Wallace, and what he has showed in his first 2 years.

Holmes certainly had some great moments on the Steelers. He was money during the playoffs for us. I do think he was inconsistent during the regular season. Often disappearing for games and dropping a lot of balls.

Wallace has been pretty consistent and certainly opens up the field for our other receivers. I have no problem envisioning Wallace surpassing Tone's accomplishments on the field and having no problems off the field.

flippy
07-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Tones playoff performances are what set him apart. Can't bank on receivers producing like he does in the playoffs. We would have done as much without him.

feltdizz
07-27-2011, 12:50 PM
As for Holmes having a young, Inexperienced QB throwing to him....BS!

Dirty Sanchez isn't young and inexperienced?

Steelgal
07-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Tone is a great receiver and I hated it when the Steelers released him, but even then that's way to much to pay him IMO. Especially considering he's one bad decision away from an entire 1 year suspension. Kudos to him for the contract, but I think the Jets overpaid.

feltdizz
07-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Tone is a great receiver and I hated it when the Steelers released him, but even then that's way to much to pay him IMO. Especially considering he's one bad decision away from an entire 1 year suspension. Kudos to him for the contract, but I think the Jets overpaid.

They probably won't keep the other WR so it makes sense. Holmes had 2 or 3 game winning TD's for them last year. Look at their QB.. he is pretty erratic and Holmes is his safety valve.

insanesteelersfan
07-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Tones playoff performances are what set him apart. Can't bank on receivers producing like he does in the playoffs. We would have done as much without him.

Besides the Arizona SB game, what has Tone ever done ? He was average at best. And what I said was that based on each of their first two seasons, Wallace is easily the better player. And Wallace didn't get the guaranteed playing time that Holmes did as a 1st round WR. Wallace actually had to EARN his PT. And he outperformed Holmes as a Playoff WR as well. Can't be argued with, sorry Flippy but you're wrong here.

flippy
07-27-2011, 01:20 PM
We wouldn't have even beat Baltimore without Holmes on the way to #6.

I'm not doggin Wallace. His deep speed makes him a phenom.

But he doesn't have close to the hands, route running, change of pace, and run after the catch that Holmes has. Holmes is polished and a great WR all around.

But Wallace can burn him all day every day with his speed.

Wallace has 1 TD and 115 yards receiving in his 3 playoff appearances. So it's hard to argue he's had an impact in the playoffs. And he kinda let us down on the last drive. He's a young guy in a tough spot so I'm not getting down on him for this. Just is what it is. Having Santonio on the last failed drive would have helped because Tone can get quick separation and get open.

With Wallace, Ben has to wait a little. Just like he has to wait a little with Ward and ARE and Miller. Sanders/Brown are the 2 guys I look to fill the hole left by Santonio in time. Wallace is a different type of receiver so it's not an apples to apples comparison between he and Holmes.

I'd personally still like to have them both and in that scenario, Ward's the odd man out.

I still wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers try to get a Plax, Moss, TO, etc type of WR as a rental for a year while Sanders, Brown, and Wallace continue to develop.

Is anyone really confident there's a go to guy in our WR core as it stands today in a critical situation? We've got a bunch of good guys, but no Santonio. And I really don't feel like I'm wrong on this one.

We still have a core group of guys that don't get quick separation.

I really hope Sanders and Brown change that quickly.

Steelgal
07-27-2011, 01:22 PM

Besides the Arizona SB game, what has Tone ever done ? He was average at best. And what I said was that based on each of their first two seasons, Wallace is easily the better player. And Wallace didn't get the guaranteed playing time that Holmes did as a 1st round WR. Wallace actually had to EARN his PT. And he outperformed Holmes as a Playoff WR as well. Can't be argued with, sorry Flippy but you're wrong here.

Tone always came up HUGE against the Rats. Even fans on their board called him a Raven-killer. they were thrilled when we traded him and that says a lot. Any time a division rival is thrilled when you lose a player, they have to be important.

insanesteelersfan
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
We wouldn't have beaten Baltimore without Holmes ??? Holmes had 2 catches for 70 Yds. One of them a 65 Yd TD catch that gave us an early 2nd quarter lead of 13-0. After that catch, Holmes didn't catch another ball the whole game ??? And Baltimore camback in that game, and we went on to secure the game on offense without Holmes doing anything.

So how anyone can say Holmes was the difference in that win is beyond me.

Steelgal
07-27-2011, 01:35 PM
We wouldn't have beaten Baltimore without Holmes ??? Holmes had 2 catches for 70 Yds. One of them a 65 Yd TD catch that gave us an early 2nd quarter lead of 13-0. After that catch, Holmes didn't catch another ball the whole game ??? And Baltimore camback in that game, and we went on to secure the game on offense without Holmes doing anything.

What about the game that Holmes caught the ball in the endzone and it was called a TD with not a lot of time left in the game. There was MAJOR controversy with the call, some said while his feet were in the ball never crossed the line. The call was upheld and, I believe, that score put the Steelers up in the game. Not 100% sure, but was thinking that play helped us win that game.

BURGH86STEEL
07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
I thought Holmes was a fine WR on the field. Not as good as Fitzgerald, A. Johnson, and C. Johnson but as good as any of the WR's below that tier. It's the off the field stuff and what appeared to be immaturity that was Holmes biggest enemy. I think he would be a Steeler today if not for those off the field issues.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2011, 01:47 PM
I thought Holmes was a fine WR on the field. Not as good as Fitzgerald, A. Johnson, and C. Johnson but as good as any of the WR's below that tier. It's the off the field stuff and what appeared to be immaturity that was Holmes biggest enemy. I think he would be a Steeler today if not for those off the field issues.
:Agree

Steelgal
07-27-2011, 01:51 PM

do you think the Steelers would have paid him the type of money he just got from the Jets? Or do you think he would have taken less to play here?

insanesteelersfan
07-27-2011, 02:02 PM

do you think the Steelers would have paid him the type of money he just got from the Jets? Or do you think he would have taken less to play here?

Santonio was talking about a raise after his 2nd season here. He is ALL about the money...period! I mean " Weed " is expensive. And I hear tell that he is working on his 6th kid with his 5th different Ho! :Boobs You need the JACK to have all Dat!

feltdizz
07-27-2011, 02:36 PM

What are the chances the 65 yard TD forced Baltimore to adjust their D at halftime? :stirpot

Baltimore coming back kinda shows how important Holmes was to the offense... plenty of games Moss goes without a catch because the D makes him the top priority and it opens it up for everyone else.

Oviedo
07-27-2011, 02:46 PM

Not a chance in the world. We never paid the all-time leading receiver in Steelers' history that much money...Mr.Hines Ward.

They were never going to pay Stupidio that much. As much as everyone wants to talk about how good Stupidio was, we did pretty well without him last year. He wasn't and won't be missed.

Starlifter
07-27-2011, 03:01 PM
all I know is I sure wish we would have had santonio on that last drive against the packers..........

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2011, 03:33 PM
In Santonio the Jets finally have the kind of playmaking receiver they've lacked forever, he made the winning play in three straight games for them last season and Sanchez and the coaching staff love him.

it was definitely a risk to give him that kind of a contract and the Jets may very well have overpaid but Holmes is one of the NFL's top WRs and is an important piece in their quest to try and win the Super Bowl.

personally, I will always remember him fondly for this play and I look forward to beating the Jets once again in the AFC Championship game: :tt2

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Santonio-Holmes-is-Super-Bowl-MVP.jpg

aggiebones
07-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Here's the keys:

-Holmes is a rich man's Deion Branch. Plays at a high end periodically (check out some of Branch's games), often at a solid level and periodically at a low level (possibly stoned).

-Now he got sick money and he's not worth that money cause its gonna hamer them in other facets of the O and D. They will have holes that will cost them games.

-He was NEVER EVER EVER gonna be signed for that price here, so we got a 5th rounder for him to sign 1 of his replacements in Brown. Brown is not Holmes (yet anyway), but is a nice cog to get for a player that was on his way out anyway.

-At any time, he could get busted for punching a chick i a bar, getting so stoned that he forgets to use his bag of fake piss or driving 110MPH in a school zone. All of which leave him on the sidelines, but I guess then they don't technically have to pay him and can possibly recoup the signing bonus if he hasn't smoked it all away like Wicky Williams did.

Anyhoo, good for the Jets. Not sure how they did it being way over the cap, but I'm sure someone will check the numbers.

NJ-STEELER
07-27-2011, 05:39 PM
if i'm not istaken

he has a 6 game streak in the playoffs of scoring at least 1 TD

NJ-STEELER
07-27-2011, 05:40 PM
all I know is I sure wish we would have had santonio on that last drive against the packers..........

or that last one vs the jets in the regular season.

AzStillers1989
07-27-2011, 06:18 PM

I feel the exact same way and to be honest, I wish we had Holmes for that last drive of the SB. I love Holmes when he was with the Steelers. Regardless of smoking weed or not...

I mean c'mon, marijuana should be legal anyways. Don't understand how someone could seriously put it in the same category as heroin and cocaine.

insanesteelersfan
07-27-2011, 06:30 PM
if i'm not istaken

You're VERY mistaken. Holmes doesn't even have a streak of 3 games with a TD in the playoffs. Let alone 6 games straight.

Chadman
07-27-2011, 06:47 PM
If you remove the non-playing Holmes from the equation, this board woud be gushing over Holmes being close to the best WR in the NFL.

He's very, very, very good.

I don't remember watching Holmes dogging it on the field ever. He may have missed a few catches, but I never remember him doing a Randy Moss- half pace jog type route- he was always trying.

Unfortunately you can't take away the off-field Santonio, so the complete package comes with baggage.

Is he worth $50 million? Probably not. But a couple of those shiny SB trophy's sure make you wonder what he's worth. Put it this way- had we paid him $50 million & he pulled off a game winning catch in the next SB- would he be worth the money?

Wallace is a good, young WR- but is nowhere near the complete reciever Holmes is.

BURGH86STEEL
07-27-2011, 06:52 PM

I thought that Holmes would be one of the players the Steelers resigned before all the off the field issues. I believe the Steelers would had paid him very close to what the Jets gave him. Appears he would had taken less to stay with the Steelers. Rumor has it that he took less to stay with the Jets.

BURGH86STEEL
07-27-2011, 07:05 PM
If you remove the non-playing Holmes from the equation, this board woud be gushing over Holmes being close to the best WR in the NFL.

He's very, very, very good.

I don't remember watching Holmes dogging it on the field ever. He may have missed a few catches, but I never remember him doing a Randy Moss- half pace jog type route- he was always trying.

Unfortunately you can't take away the off-field Santonio, so the complete package comes with baggage.

Is he worth $50 million? Probably not. But a couple of those shiny SB trophy's sure make you wonder what he's worth. Put it this way- had we paid him $50 million & he pulled off a game winning catch in the next SB- would he be worth the money?

Wallace is a good, young WR- but is nowhere near the complete reciever Holmes is.
I look at the bonus as a measure of the true contract. Reported that the bonus is 24 million. A good portion of the money may be tied up into the back end of the deal. He may never see the back end of the contract before it restructured, he is resigned, or he is released. If he manages to stay out of trouble, he will be worth it. Maybe being traded by the Steelers woke him up?

Still work to be done before Wallace becomes a complete WR. Not sure that Wallace has the body flexibility, moves, or change of pace ability to develop into a more complete WR.
In some ways, his speed may hurt him in his quest to become a more complete WR. That being said, it is nice to have that type of speed at WR with the Steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2011, 08:02 PM
if i'm not istaken

You're VERY mistaken. Holmes doesn't even have a streak of 3 games with a TD in the playoffs. Let alone 6 games straight.

He had a TD in all 4 of his playoff games as a Steeler (that's more than 3 games in a row last time I checked). He did not have a TD in his first playoff game as a Jet, but he did have a TD in his next 2 playoff games as a Jet. That's 6 TD's in 7 playoff games (5 TD's catches and 1 punt return for a TD). That's pretty clutch.

feltdizz
07-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Here's the keys:

-Holmes is a rich man's Deion Branch. Plays at a high end periodically (check out some of Branch's games), often at a solid level and periodically at a low level (possibly stoned).

-Now he got sick money and he's not worth that money cause its gonna hamer them in other facets of the O and D. They will have holes that will cost them games.

-He was NEVER EVER EVER gonna be signed for that price here, so we got a 5th rounder for him to sign 1 of his replacements in Brown. Brown is not Holmes (yet anyway), but is a nice cog to get for a player that was on his way out anyway.

-At any time, he could get busted for punching a chick i a bar, getting so stoned that he forgets to use his bag of fake piss or driving 110MPH in a school zone. All of which leave him on the sidelines, but I guess then they don't technically have to pay him and can possibly recoup the signing bonus if he hasn't smoked it all away like Wicky Williams did.

Anyhoo, good for the Jets. Not sure how they did it being way over the cap, but I'm sure someone will check the numbers.

Holmes is much better than Branch.. he plays big in big games. He saved us from a losing season in 2006 and has showed up big in the post season.

He is a play maker and the Jets have few play makers on offense. He's pretty much the only play maker they had/have.

The Jets know the risk and are willing to take it.

NJ-STEELER
07-27-2011, 10:08 PM
if i'm not istaken

He had a TD in all 4 of his playoff games as a Steeler (that's more than 3 games in a row last time I checked). He did not have a TD in his first playoff game as a Jet, but he did have a TD in his next 2 playoff games as a Jet. That's 6 TD's in 7 playoff games (5 TD's catches and 1 punt return for a TD). That's pretty clutch.

looks like i was way off

LOL

fordfixer
07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Good for Santonio :Clap :Clap

insanesteelersfan
07-27-2011, 10:14 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":1uug3lji]if i'm not istaken

looks like i was way off

LOL[/quote:1uug3lji]

Bottom line, you were. And Holmes getting a TOKEN TD catch in games, games where we have lost, or the Jets have lost is anything but " Clutch " Holmes has nice skills IF he keeps his head on straight. But the likelyhood of that happening is the same Odds as Paris Hilton winning the Academy Award for Best Actress next year :Clap

NJ-STEELER
07-27-2011, 10:44 PM
yeah, clearly

6 out of 7 games instead of 6 of 6

shame on me

BTW,sure loved that token D in the superbowl, good thing we didnt need it too badly

Scarletfire1970
07-28-2011, 07:40 AM
....And over half of that is Guaranteed Money! Wow! 50 Million for a Guy with Holmes track record, and with production that Isn't even close to our own Mike Wallace. Man, I wish us luck in trying to re-up our own WR after this year! :Cheers

50 Million Dollars ??? Man, that sure can buy ALOT of Weed :wink:Well Holmes made the catch that won us the SB, where Wallace couldn't. Just sayin.

feltdizz
07-28-2011, 09:50 AM
I guess Wallaces TD in the SB was token... :stirpot

Unless it's on the last play of a blowout loss h can any TD be a "token" TD?

insanesteelersfan
07-28-2011, 09:59 AM

50 Million Dollars ??? Man, that sure can buy ALOT of Weed :wink:Well Holmes made the catch that won us the SB, where Wallace couldn't. Just sayin.

Yeah and Green Bay had the 2nd best defense in the entire league and the # 1 rated pass defense, while Arizona was dead last in Pass defense...Just Sayin :loser

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2011, 10:10 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":27shh19q]if i'm not istaken

looks like i was way off

LOL

Bottom line, you were. And Holmes getting a TOKEN TD catch in games, games where we have lost, or the Jets have lost is anything but " Clutch " Holmes has nice skills IF he keeps his head on straight. But the likelyhood of that happening is the same Odds as Paris Hilton winning the Academy Award for Best Actress next year :Clap[/quote:27shh19q]

Token TD's in losses? The only playoff games Holmes' teams have lost was his first one (the Jacksonville game where half our defense was held on the late Garrard TD run) and his last one (his Jets lost to our Steelers in the AFC Championship game last year). His teams won 5 in a row between them.

ikestops85
07-28-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm sorry but saying Holmes isn't any good is just sour grapes. While I don't believe Holmes to be 'elite' I do think he is very good and would be a tremendous asset if he were still on the Steelers.

Wallace I believe is on the same track as Holmes. Where Holmes is probably the better route runner and better running after the catch ... Wallace has that pure speed and IMO better hands. From a football player standpoint either guy would be great to have on your team.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-28-2011, 11:00 AM
arguing with insanesteelers fan is insane.

he must be 12 years old.

flippy
07-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Wallace has that pure speed and IMO better hands.

Speed, yes. Hands, no.

Wallace some how makes the catches, but his hands aren't pretty. Not even close. My one knock on him is he doesn't pluck the ball out of the air with his hands but lets the ball often hit his body. But credit to him, that ball sticks to him like glue.

I don't have time to find all the pics, but there are a lot of them where he makes a long TD catch and the ball is not secured in his hands but trapped against his body. I remember not being able to believe how many times it happens and yet he almost always doesn't lose the ball.

This isn't bashing Wallace by any means, but I sometimes think he's like Nate Washington with better luck and a smidge more speed.

Scarletfire1970
07-28-2011, 07:42 PM

Yeah and Green Bay had the 2nd best defense in the entire league and the # 1 rated pass defense, while Arizona was dead last in Pass defense...Just Sayin :loser What is with the loser smiley? And wasn't Cromarti supposed to be a shut down corner? AZ was good that year, at least for that playoff stretch. Damn good. To say Holmes couldn't do it against GB last season is just speculating. He's proven he can do it in just about every other big game we've played with him.

flippy
07-29-2011, 12:05 AM

Yeah and Green Bay had the 2nd best defense in the entire league and the # 1 rated pass defense, while Arizona was dead last in Pass defense...Just Sayin :loser What is with the loser smiley? And wasn't Cromarti supposed to be a shut down corner? AZ was good that year, at least for that playoff stretch. Damn good. To say Holmes couldn't do it against GB last season is just speculating. He's proven he can do it in just about every other big game we've played with him.

GB was highly rated when Ben put up 500+ passing yards on them a year earlier. And he had Santonio that game. Coincidence?

Slapstick
07-29-2011, 09:32 AM
He also had a healthy Willie Colon and a healthy Max Starks...