PDA

View Full Version : UDFA

Eddie Spaghetti
07-25-2011, 10:17 PM
taken from another board, don't know how credible.

kendrick burney- carolina
deandre mcdaniel- saints
mark herzlich and damien berry- rats

would have liked either burney or mcdaniel as PS material.

again don't know how credible:

wesley saunders and anthony gray- steelers
terrance mcray and colin young- steelers

grotonsteel
07-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Wesley Saunders is a nice pick up. I think he is a talented TE.

I was hoping Steelers pick DeAndre McDaniel.

SteelBucks
07-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Interesting. Steelers agreed to terms with RB John Clay (Wisconsin).

steelblood
07-26-2011, 07:58 AM
saunders highlights...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPeFTlJby48

Oviedo
07-26-2011, 08:26 AM
I was hoping for Mike Herzlich as depth at ILB.

Interesting whether they get a NT like Ian Williams. If so, then I think Hoke's days are numbered which is too bad because he has been the ultimate team guy.

steelblood
07-26-2011, 08:59 AM
I was hoping for Mike Herzlich as depth at ILB.

Interesting whether they get a NT like Ian Williams. If so, then I think Hoke's days are numbered which is too bad because he has been the ultimate team guy.

Williams has told folks he's going to the 49ers.

Anthony Gray is likely to be Hoke's replacement. Gray is only 5'11, but he is very stong and has decent athleticism.

Slapstick
07-26-2011, 09:39 AM
I like the Gray pickup...if credible...

5'11''
330 lbs
5.15 40 yd
39 Reps

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Weslye Saunders is interesting. He could have been a high pick, but lying to NCAA investigators was likely a primary reason for his fall to undrafted status. While McDaniel was a heck of the player on the field, his past history of domestic assault likely made him untouchable. Accepting improper benefits while under the NCAA regime isn't as bad as choking, punching, and pushing your girlfriend down the stairs (almost makes James Harrison's breaking down a door and throwing a cell phone against the wall seem like child's play).

I think Anthony Gray could have a future. Hopefully we keep Hoke for one more year, and are able to stash away Gray on the practice squad for a year until he's ready to be Hamp's understudy in 2012.

Clay vs. Batch could be an interesting battle for the last RB on the roster.

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2011, 10:30 AM
12/18/10 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: WR Terrence McCrae doesn't get a ton of chances in Ohio's run-heavy offense, but he can be a difference maker. He leads Ohio with 32 catches for 481 yards this season, but nine of those receptions have went for touchdowns -- which ties an Ohio record. At 6-foot-4, McCrae becomes a real weapon in the end zone; he has four TD catches this year on fade routes of 10 yards or less this season where he's able to out-jump opposing defensive backs. - The Sports Xchange

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/549/412/104248239_display_image.jpg?1291703864

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2011, 10:31 AM
15 undrafted rookies agree
Posted 17 minutes ago

a a The Steelers have agreed to terms with the following undrafted rookie free agents. Profiles of the players will be available later on Steelers.com.

Vaughn Charlton, TE/HB (Temple)
John Clay, HB (Wisconsin)
Terrence McCrae, WR (Ohio)
Armand Robinson, WR (Miami University)
Adam Mims, WR (Furman)
Weslye Saunders, TE (South Carolina)
Colin Miller, C (Central Michigan)
Trevis Turner, OT (Abilene Christian)
Brent Greenwood, S (Iowa)
Niles Brinkley, CB (Wisconsin)
Eric Clanton, OLB (Citadel)
Mario Harvey, MLB (Marshall)
Miguel Chavis, DE (Clemson)
Anthony Gray, DT (Southern Miss)
Eric Greenwood, WR (Idaho)

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/15-undrafted-rookies-agree/19b814b1-122c-4816-80e5-66c654ace6ed

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Love the Mario Harvey pickup! Could be another bad@$$ mutha LB who starts out by being a wrecking ball on special teams!

03/28/11 - Marshall Pro day: When Mario Harvey found out he was not among the invitees to last month’s NFL Scouting Combine, Marshall’s pro day emerged as this fiery linebacker’s key chance to show NFL teams what Marshall fans have raved about for ages. Of the 12 Marshall players and one small-schooler who worked out for NFL personnel on March 16, it was Harvey who made the most of his opportunity. The 5-foot-10 7/8, 250-pound fireplug registered a stirring 4.46 40-yard dash and put on a strong positional workout for onlookers, including a New England Patriots scout who took particular interest in the Thundering Herd defender. Harvey also logged a 32-inch vertical and 9-5 broad jump, with a 4.19-second short shuttle and 7.13 three-cone drill result. Harvey is an aggressive, energetic, play-making defender — some NFL team will take a chance on him for his special-teams promise and potential on defense. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=77863&draftyear=2011&genpos=ILB

http://msn.foxsports.com/livexml/NFL/201103141716621714638-p2.jpeghttp://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/830/348/698084_display_image.jpg?1301926943

PSU_dropout43
07-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Ohio University pro-day:

The elements were so bad at Ohio’s pro day on March 10 that the 13 players who worked out had to run their 40-yard dashes under a tent.

Still, WR Terrence McCrae (6-foot-2 5/8, 194 pounds) stood out during his workout on a cold, wet field. He put up 40 times of 4.49 and 4.42 seconds, a 4.22 short shuttle and 6.82 three-cone drill in front of 12 teams. He had a 35-inch vertical, 10-4 broad jump and did eight reps on the bench at 225 pounds.

He also met privately with the Dolphins and Chiefs, and appears to be a priority free agent at this point.

----------------------------------------------

Southern Miss -

DL Anthony Gray (5-11 3/4, 330) — Ran a 5.19 and 5.17 40-yard dash, a 4.61 short shuttle and 7.93 three-cone drill. He showed his strength with 39 reps on the bench. Gray also had a 31 1/2-inch vertical and 9-4 broad jump. Despite his size, his power makes him a possible late-round pick.

----------------------------------------------

steelernation77
07-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Surprised there isn't more love for John Clay here. He's fat guys! We love fat RBs! (Kidding, sort of)

In all honesty I do like the signing.

Oviedo
07-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Weslye Saunders is interesting. He could have been a high pick, but lying to NCAA investigators was likely a primary reason for his fall to undrafted status. While McDaniel was a heck of the player on the field, his past history of domestic assault likely made him untouchable. Accepting improper benefits while under the NCAA regime isn't as bad as choking, punching, and pushing your girlfriend down the stairs (almost makes James Harrison's breaking down a door and throwing a cell phone against the wall seem like child's play).

I think Anthony Gray could have a future. Hopefully we keep Hoke for one more year, and are able to stash away Gray on the practice squad for a year until he's ready to be Hamp's understudy in 2012.

Clay vs. Batch could be an interesting battle for the last RB on the roster.

Nose Tackles are in demand so that would be a risk.

Dwyer may be fighting for his career if he doesn't come in ready to go. I'm not as impressed by Clay as many are indicating. If on his game, Dwyer is twice the player.

steelernation77
07-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Just saw that my fellow Hawkeye Brett Greenwood is one of our UDFAs. I'll be rooting all the way for Greenwood. He's an Iowa boy that walked on for the Hawkeyes and had a long, productive career as a starting FS despite facing a lot of early criticism from the fanbase. That being said Greenwood will face an uphill battle making the roster. He does a good job covering over the top but his lack of speed will be tough to overcome in the NFL. He'll have to blow people away on ST.

steelblood
07-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Harvey, Gray, and Saunders all have an excellent chance to make the 53 man roster even without the aid of the OTAs. At this point, each has little competition to replace a vet backup from last year's team. Saunders-Spaeth, Gray-Hoke, Harvey-Fox (and maybe Foote if he is released). All three of these players have enough talent to stick on a roster and eventually be active on game days if they pick up the system.

sentinel33
07-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Pretty stoked about Saunders. Should be a significant upgrade over Spaeth given time.

Log jam at the RB spot. Log jam of talent. Geez! Moore is definately gone, now. Sucks for me. Been a Moore fan since his University days when he was re-writing the record books. Gonna miss him. Thought he represented the black and gold quite well.
But with Batch,Dwyer and now Clay lookin for that 3rd roster spot Moore will be a cap casualty.
But I sure do like our depth at the RB position. Can't remember when we've been this deep-at least potentially, anyway.

Don't know much about Harvey. But many of you are high on him, so that is comforting moving forward as i do my own digging on the guy.

Same with Gray. But 5'11 sure is small to be on the line with giants. dude must have a huge heart. we'll see.

Is D. Williams(SS) still out there?

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Same with Gray. But 5'11 sure is small to be on the line with giants. dude must have a huge heart. we'll see.

Casey's listed at 6'1". I think height's a bigger deal for the DE's in a 3-4, where the prototypical guy is 6'5" 300 lbs. with long arms. In the middle, it should be fine that he's short, stout, and able to get underneath the pads of the taller centers and guards trying to block him.

Jooser
07-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Mario Harvey is a BEAST! Nice pickup :tt2

Oviedo
07-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Casey's listed at 6'1". I think height's a bigger deal for the DE's in a 3-4, where the prototypical guy is 6'5" 300 lbs. with long arms. In the middle, it should be fine that he's short, stout, and able to get underneath the pads of the taller centers and guards trying to block him.

5'11" equals huge leverage. Gray is suppose to be strong as a bull. His only shortcoming is probably a lack of long arms so the hand fighting with taller OL is probably going to be critical to his success so they can't keep him away from their bodies.

sentinel33
07-26-2011, 01:07 PM
looks like Gray gets a seal of approval. ok. im on board the gray-v train.

man we are thick at LB. Foote/Fox. someone is gone.

insanesteelersfan
07-26-2011, 01:30 PM
I am not going to lie, I LOVE the Harvey pick-up. That was huge. He is a Monster at 6ft, 257, and just great athleticism and fundamentals. The TE Saunders is a okay camp pick-up, and I wish him well. But his past foot injury may hinder him forever. He was never very Athletic or quick, and the Injury won't help as he goes on. But I do wish him good luck. Anthony Gray is a SOLID DT in the Conf-USA. But to me, he looks better suited for a 4 man D-Line then a 3/4 defense. Oh he can and will play the NT, and go all out. But with his really really short arms he will have a disadvantage.

I like the WR McCrae as well. Great height and speed. And can catch the ball for TD's. Went to Ohio university, and they hardly ever pass the ball. So he is used to being in a run offense. The OT Turner is a All American, just in Div-2, but was considered draft worthy in the 6th round, so he's a good selection. And Niles Brinkley ???...Good 3 year starter for Wisconsin, and it's nice to have the son of a former Steeler in camp :tt1

Oviedo
07-26-2011, 01:31 PM
looks like Gray gets a seal of approval. ok. im on board the gray-v train.

man we are thick at LB. Foote/Fox. someone is gone.

I think Fox is gone, but I wouldn't say that we are "thick" at LB. None of the young guys have proeven they can play at this level and IMO we are really thin on the inside.

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Steelers Sign Undrafted Free Agents

By: Mike Vukovcan
July 26, 2011

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/colberttomlin.jpg?w=300

Pittsburgh (KDKA)- Kevin Colbert and his staff are off to a quick start with signing undrafted free agents.

The biggest signing to this point is former TE South Carolina Weslye Saunders. He is a huge target, especially in the red zone, at 6’5” and 270 pounds. Saunders has been clocked as fast as 4.72 in the 40-yard dash.

There was early talk that Saunders would get drafted in the 3rd round. Saunders was suspended from the team prior to the start of the year for rule violations. Saunders could mean the end to free agent Matt Spaeth.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1638231/46382_South_Carolina_Saunders_Football.jpg

Other Steeler Undrafted Free Agent Signings:

*DT Anthony Gray, Southern Mississppi
*C Colin Miller, Central Michigan
*RB John Clay, Wisconsin
*WR Adam Mims, Furman
*WR Terrence McCrae, Ohio University
*DT Miguel Chavis, Clemson
*WR Armand Robinson, Miami, Ohio

The team plans on signing between 12-15 undrafted free agents

We’ll update these signings throughout the day so check back.

UPDATED (10:14 AM):
*TE Vaughn Charlton, Temple
*OL Trevis Turner, Abilene Christian

UPDATED (10:29 AM):
*S Brett Greenwood, Iowa

UPDATED (10:32 AM):
*CB Niles Brinkley, Wisconsin
*OLB Eric Clanton, Citadel
*LB Mario Harvey, Marshall

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/07/ ... ee-agents/ (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/07/26/steelers-sign-undrafted-free-agents/)

insanesteelersfan
07-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Steelers Sign Undrafted Free Agents

By: Mike Vukovcan
July 26, 2011

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/colberttomlin.jpg?w=300

Pittsburgh (KDKA)- Kevin Colbert and his staff are off to a quick start with signing undrafted free agents.

The biggest signing to this point is former TE South Carolina Weslye Saunders. He is a huge target, especially in the red zone, at 6’5” and 270 pounds. Saunders has been clocked as fast as 4.72 in the 40-yard dash.

There was early talk that Saunders would get drafted in the 3rd round. Saunders was suspended from the team prior to the start of the year for rule violations. Saunders could mean the end to free agent Matt Spaeth.

Other Steeler Undrafted Free Agent Signings:

*DT Anthony Gray, Southern Mississppi
*C Colin Miller, Central Michigan
*RB John Clay, Wisconsin
*WR Adam Mims, Furman
*WR Terrence McCrae, Ohio University
*DT Miguel Chavis, Clemson
*WR Armand Robinson, Miami, Ohio

The team plans on signing between 12-15 undrafted free agents

We’ll update these signings throughout the day so check back.

UPDATED (10:14 AM):
*TE Vaughn Charlton, Temple
*OL Trevis Turner, Abilene Christian

UPDATED (10:29 AM):
*S Brett Greenwood, Iowa

UPDATED (10:32 AM):
*CB Niles Brinkley, Wisconsin
*OLB Eric Clanton, Citadel
*LB Mario Harvey, Marshall

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/07/ ... ee-agents/ (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/07/26/steelers-sign-undrafted-free-agents/)

I like Saunders as well. But he has NEVER come close to timing in the 4.7's in the 40 Yd dash ever. He is a close area target who is good at using his size to shield away defenders. But he has ALWAYS been slow footed and slow off the line. Anyone saying different has never seen him play a lick.

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2011, 02:23 PM
a poor man's Casey Hampton?

Gray agrees to terms with Steelers

7/26/2011

http://sitelife.hattiesburgamerican.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/15/4/2f196ccd-f51d-41e6-94c5-bf6472ef6b91.Large.jpg

Former Southern Miss defensive tackle Anthony Gray said today that he has agreed to terms with the Pittsburgh Steelers and expects a free agent contract with the team to be finalized at some point today.

Gray wasn’t selected in the NFL Draft in April and had to wait anxiously to find out where he would land when the lockout came to a close on Monday.

“It feels great,” Gray said. “A big weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I can’t say my summer has been easy. It feels like Christmas in July.”

Gray said he plans on leaving Wednesday to join his new teammates in Pennsylania.

“It’s going to be a short camp,” Gray said. “I talked with their head recruiter and he just told me to come packed to work. It’s going to be about how fast you can get it all down. It’s going to be a short period of time and things will be moving pretty fast.”

The Steelers already have a good idea of where Gray could fit into their defense.

“They just told me they needed a nose guard and they wanted me to come in and fill that spot,” Gray said. “Nothing is promised in the NFL. I’ll work my hardest and do the best I can do. I’ll get up there and learn all I can from their D-line coach.”

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps ... erican.com (http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=c3d1d51ce6824c7c8d04c1a7e064e382&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac3d1d51ce6824c7c8d04c1a7e064e382 Post%3a9110ce10-8917-4de6-97dc-bf3ab39bbb95&sid=sitelife.hattiesburgamerican.com)

SteelCity
07-26-2011, 02:32 PM
I am not going to lie, I LOVE the Harvey pick-up. That was huge. He is a Monster at 6ft, 257, and just great athleticism and fundamentals.

Marshall Fan here. Ive watched Mario for 4 years now and his motor never stops. He has been able to get to the QB where you line him up at. He was also timed at 4.43 last year. The second fastest on the team. I hate to use the cliche but here it goes "Mario just has a nose for the ball, and anticipates well on where the ball will end up". Harvey has always been active in the Huntington community and beyond. Very nice and respectable young man that has never had a run in with the law.

I follow Ohio somewhat to and really like the McCrae signing too. He has good break away speed and has some of the softest hands Ive seen in a while.

Both of these kids should be able to make the 53 man roster.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-26-2011, 02:34 PM
And 3 more....

Ty Boyle, DE (North Dakota)
Joshua Harrison, T (South Carolina State)
Derek Chard, LS (Connecticut)

flippy
07-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Anyone else feel like it's Xmas morning and we just got all the best toys?

steeler_george
07-26-2011, 02:41 PM
I think this could a great rookie class coming in. Especially like the pick of Harvey, I wanted us to draft him. Saunders could make the most impact, if he gets his character together. Spaeth is going to be a camp causualty for sure. In addition of Fox and maybe Foote.

steeler_george
07-26-2011, 02:42 PM

Merry Christmas!!! I guess we were all good boys and girls in the off season.

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2011, 02:52 PM
I had Mario Harvey in my mock draft, I'm very happy to see him sign with the Steelers as an UDFA. :tt2

Mario Harvey Highlights New Crop Of Steelers Undrafted Free Agents

Jul 26
by Charlie Wilmoth

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Terrelle+Pryor+Mario+Harvey+Marshall+v+Ohio+bEgqNA NE9LPl.jpg

Here’s a new list of undrafted free agents the Pittsburgh Steelers have signed.

TE/RB Vaughn Charlton, Temple
WR Armand Robinson, Miami of Ohio
OT Trevis Turner, Abilene Christian
S Brett Greenwood, Iowa
CB Niles Brinkley, Wisconsin
OLB Erik Clanton, the Citadel
LB Mario Harvey, Marshall
WR Eric Greenwood, Idaho
DE Ty Boyle, North Dakota
T Joshua Harrison, South Carolina State
LS Derek Chard, UConn

You can add these to the following names that we already knew about:

DT Anthony Gray, Southern Mississippi
TE Weslye Saunders, South Carolina
DL Miguel Chavis, Clemson
WR Terrence McCrae, Ohio
C Colin Miller, Central Michigan (now confirmed)
WR Adam Mims, Furman
RB John Clay, Wisconsin

http://www.bleed-green.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2825447730_d7621b9210.jpg

Of the new guys, Harvey is the most important one. The Steelers were connected to him in the draft, and he probably should have been drafted by someone. He’s a bit small but is extremely fast and hard-hitting, so the Steelers could use him in special teams.

Charlton played quarterback for Temple before moving to tight end, so who knows what the Steelers might do with him.

So the big undrafted free agents so far are probably Saunders and Harvey, and perhaps Gray.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsbur ... ree-agents (http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2011/7/26/2295352/mario-harvey-steelers-undrafted-free-agents)

steelerkeylargo
07-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Harvey, Saunders, Gray, Clay, Turner and Brinkley should all make the practice squad. And 1 or two could make the team (most likely Harvey and Saunders). The rest are luke warm bodies. Still alot of good players out there. including

RB's: Eddie Wide, Vai Taua, Noel Devine

TE's: Allen Reisner,Charlie Gantt,Kyle Adams

WR's: Terrence Toliver,Darvin Adams,Owen Spencer,Jimmy Young,Tori Gurley,Jock Sanders

OT's: Ray Dominguez,Richard Lapham,Josh Davis

OG's: Jake Vermiglio,Will Lawrence,Justin Boren,Thomas Claiborne,Ricky Henry,Jarriel King,Jamar Bass,Bo Thran

LB's: Ugo Chinasa,Steven Friday,Justin Trattou,Marc Schiechl,Jeremiha Hunter,Justin Gent
Scott lutrus,Josh Bynes,Orie Lemon,Archie Donald,Alex Wujcak,Mike Mele,Ben Jacobs

CB's: Ryan Hill,Kevin Rutland, Andrew McGee

S's: Byron Landor,Joe Lefeged,David Sims,Dom Decicco,Davonte Shannon,Jerrard tarrant
Mana Silva, Deunta Williams,TeJay Johnson

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2011, 03:19 PM
I heard Noel Devine's name being linked to the Falcons, and Dom DiCicco's name linked to the Bears.

Oviedo
07-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Harvey, Saunders, Gray, Clay, Turner and Brinkley should all make the practice squad. And 1 or two could make the team (most likely Harvey and Saunders). The rest are luke warm bodies. Still alot of good players out there. including

WR's: Terrence Toliver,Darvin Adams,Owen Spencer,Jimmy Young,Tori Gurley,Jock Sanders

OG's: Jake Vermiglio,Will Lawrence,Justin Boren,Thomas Claiborne,Ricky Henry,Jarriel King,Jamar Bass,Bo Thran

LB's: Ugo Chinasa,Steven Friday,Justin Trattou,Marc Schiechl,Jeremiha Hunter,Justin Gent
Scott lutrus,Josh Bynes,Orie Lemon,Archie Donald,Alex Wujcak,Mike Mele,Ben Jacobs

S's: Byron Landor,Joe Lefeged,David Sims,Dom Decicco,Davonte Shannon,Jerrard tarrant

I think it is harder to sign a UDFA than a low round draft pick because they can shop around and get different bids.

Any word on whether Kai Forbath, K, UCLA got signed?

steelerkeylargo
07-26-2011, 03:46 PM

I think it is harder to sign a UDFA than a low round draft pick because they can shop around and get different bids.

Normally that is true however under the new CBA teams cannot give more than a total of $75 K in signing bonuses for all the UDFA's they sign.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-26-2011, 03:51 PM

didn't see his name on the list i have been using.

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Profiles of 18 undrafted rookies
By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest

Over the course of Tuesday, July 26, the Steelers agreed to terms with a total of 18 undrafted rookie free agents. The list includes 10 offensive players – one running back, two tight ends, four wide receivers, one center and two tackles – plus seven defensive players – three defensive linemen, two linebackers, one cornerback and one safety – and one long-snapper.

Following are brief profiles of the 18 undrafted rookies:

RUNNING BACK
John Clay, 6-1, 230, Wisconsin: After a redshirt season in 2007, Clay played in 13 games in 2008 and rushed for 884 yards (5.7 average) and scored nine touchdowns. He was the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year in 2009 when he finished with 1,517 yards rushing (5.3 average) and 18 touchdowns. In 2010, he missed two games with a sprained MCL but still rushed for 1,012 yards (5.4 average) and 14 touchdowns. It was reported that Clay’s weight ballooned into the 270s during his junior year, and over the course of his career at Wisconsin he lost carries to some younger backs. Clay is a power back who has decent feet and runs behind his pads, which makes him a load to bring down, but he is not a guy who showed the receiving/blocking skills necessary to be a third-down back. He lost nearly 40 pounds in the run-up to the 2011 NFL Draft.

TIGHT ENDS
Vaughn Charlton, 6-5, 253, Temple: Began his college career as a quarterback, and he played the position for three seasons before volunteering to move to tight end during the spring of his redshirt senior season of 2011. As a quarterback at Temple he completed 53.3 percent during his career for 2,615 yards, but he also threw 11 interceptions in his final season at the position. Recognized at Temple for both his academic performance and leadership ability, Charlton added 20 pounds to play tight end in 2010. He finished that year with three catches for 15 yards in seven games.

Weslye Saunders, 6-5, 270, South Carolina: During his first three college seasons, Saunders played in 36 games and accumulated 60 catches for 718 yards and three touchdowns. Was used as the blocking complement to fellow tight end Jared Cook in 2008, and Cook became a third-round pick of the Tennessee Titans in 2009. Initially, Saunders intended to come out for the 2010 NFL Draft, and the situation ended with him being investigated by the NCAA for improper contact with an agent. He was dismissed from the team in September 2010, and Saunders then sustained a stress fracture in his left foot while working out at the NFL Scouting Combine last February.

WIDE RECEIVERS
Eric Greenwood, 6-6, 212, Idaho: In 2010, Greenwood was a second-team All-WAC selection after leading the team with 46 catches for 741 yards and six touchdowns. He finished his career with 89 catches for 1,246 yards and 11 touchdowns in 39 games. Greenwood ran a 4.62 in the 40-yard dash during his pro day workout on March 11, 2011.

Terrence McCrae, 6-3, 193, Ohio: Was a full-time starter in 2010, and he finished with 35 catches for 505 yards and nine touchdowns. Also had 35 catches for 545 yards and nine touchdowns in 2009. McCrae will have a chance because of his measurables, which include 4.4 speed, and he has good hands and the ability to high-point the ball to be a threat in the red zone. McCrae showed a willingness to go over the middle and the toughness to hold onto the ball in college, but he is
raw in a lot of the nuances of the wide receiver position. Not a kick returner.

Adam Mims, 5-8, 195, Furman: A fifth-year senior, Mims finished his college career with 198 catches for 2,433 yards (12.3 average) and 13 touchdowns. He averaged 10.1 yards on 35 career punt returns and 19.5 yards on 24 career kickoff return yards. Mims also was used to run some reverses at Furman. In 2008, his first year as a starter, Mims led the team in both catches with 58 catches and receiving yards with 711. Those 58 catches represented the fourth-best total in school history. At the Coastal Carolina Pro Day on March 29, 2011, Mims ran a 4.4.

Armand Robinson, 5-11, 197, Miami (Ohio): In 49 career college games, Robinson caught 210 passes for 2,550 yards and 15 touchdowns, with his most productive seasons being his final two. In 2009, Robinson was named third-team All-MAC after catching 67 passes for 788 yards and four touchdowns, and he bettered that in 2010 with 94 catches for 1,062 yards and six touchdowns. In his team’s biggest game in years – the 2010 MAC Championship Game – Robinson caught 14 passes for 176 yards and the game-winning touchdown against Northern Illinois. Robinson’s status for the NFL Draft was hurt when he ran a 4.7 during a pro day on March 29, 2011.

CENTER
Colin Miller, 6-3, 299, Central Michigan: Miller was a two-time second-team All-MAC choice at center. He started 46 career games, including 42 at center. Miller was one of only two offensive linemen to start every 2010 game for a Central Michigan offense that ranked second in its conference in passing and third in total offense. Miller missed four games to injury in 2008. During a pro day workout last March, Miller ran a 5.3 and did 32 repetitions of 225 pounds in the bench press.

OFFENSIVE TACKLES
Joshua Harrison, 6-4, 305, South Carolina State: Harrison finished his career at South Carolina State as one of the MEAC’s most decorated offensive linemen. A starter at right tackle for every game during his junior and senior seasons, Harrison was selected as a first-team All-MEAC lineman in 2009, and in 2010 he was voted the MEAC Offensive Lineman of the Year by the conference’s coaches. During a pro day workout, Harrison ran a 5.28 and did 17 repetitions of 225 pounds. While waiting for the NFL lockout to end, Harrison went back to school where he was an industrial engineer technology major.

Trevis Turner, 6-7, 333, Abilene Christian: After his career at DeSoto High School in DeSoto, Texas, Turner signed a letter-of-intent with Colorado State, but he never played there. Turner started at left tackle for Trinity Valley Junior College in 2006. He transferred to Northeastern State prior to the 2007 season but did not play there. Turner then went to Abilene Christian in 2008 where he started 37 games at right tackle for a team that posted a 31-6 record and earned three straight NCAA Division II playoff berths. In 2010, Turner was a finalist for the Gene Upshaw Award and earned the Jim Langer Offensive Lineman of the Game Award at the Cactus Bowl in Kingsville. At a pro day before the 2011 draft, Turner ran a 5.39 and did 22 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press.

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
Ty Boyle, 6-3, 285, North Dakota: In 35 career college games, including 21 starts, Boyle accumulated 80 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 19 pressures and two sacks. Boyle also had one interception and blocked three kicks. A Phi Beta Kappa for his academic work in the field of economics, Boyle also served as an intern in the strategic planning department working on business operations at the CONSOL Energy Center, the home of the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins.

Miguel Chavis, 6-5, 280, Clemson: It’s unusual for a nose guard to be so tall, but that’s the position Chavis played primarily during his college career at Clemson. As he gradually worked himself into the lineup during his first two seasons, Chavis had his playing time gradually increase as he finished with 10 tackles during that time. In 2009 he had 14 tackles on the season. As a senior in 2010, Chavis had 16 tackles during the first six games, but then he missed five of the last six games plus the bowl game. It was reported that at the time of the draft he was recovering from foot and ankle injuries.

Anthony Gray, 6-0, 330, Southern Mississippi: After a foot injury all but ruined his redshirt freshman season of 2007. A nose tackle, Anderson became a productive player over the course of his final three college seasons. He finished those three seasons with 112 tackles, 20 tackles for loss and nine sacks. His six sacks in 2008 led the team. During his pro day workout on March 22, 2011, Gray was quite impressive. He moved very well at 330 pounds by running a 5.15 in the 40, and a 4.61 in the short shuttle. Gray also posted a 31.5-inch vertical jump and did 39 repetitions on the bench press.

LINEBACKERS
Erik Clanton, 6-3, 242, The Citadel: A defensive end in college, Clanton will play outside linebacker for the Steelers. In 29 games – seven starts – over his first three seasons, Clanton totaled 52 tackles and 4.5 sacks, but then he really blossomed as a senior. In 2010, Clanton was voted first-team All-Conference after posting 14 tackles-for-loss and nine sacks. At his pro day workout, Clanton ran a 4.83 and did 11 repetitions in the bench press. He had signed with Montreal of the Canadian Football League, but he was released before the Alouettes’ season began.

Mario Harvey, 5-11, 250 Marshall: Harvey played middle linebacker in college, but he will be one of the inside linebackers in the Steelers’ 3-4 alignment. He became a full-time starter in 2008, and in his final three seasons at Marshall he had 367 tackles, 33 tackles for loss and 20 sacks. As a senior, Harvey also had seven passes defensed and three forced fumbles. A team captain, Harvey is muscular, has the proper temperament for the position and likes contact. A very productive player who was used both as a middle linebacker and a rush end in college, Harvey also was a standout on special teams. On his pro day, Harvey ran a 4.46 and did 27 repetitions on the bench press.

SECONDARY
Niles Brinkley, 5-10, 193, Wisconsin: A cornerback whose father, Lorenzo Brinkley, was a fourth-round draft pick by the Steelers in 1972, Niles Brinkley led the Badgers with four interceptions in 2008, and he added two more in 2009. Brinkley is seen as a tough, competitive cornerback who is physical enough to re-route receivers off the line of scrimmage, while also being good in run support. Brinkley ran a 4.54 at the Scouting Combine, but then lowered that number to 4.48 at his pro day workout. He left college with a reputation as a hard worker.

Brett Greenwood, 5-11, 198, Iowa: A free safety for the Hawkeyes, Greenwood finished his career there with 12 interceptions to tie for sixth place on the school’s all-time list. Ten of those 12 interceptions came in 2010 when he finished the season as the Big Ten leader in that category. That was quite an accomplishment for a player who started at Iowa as a walk-on in 2006. He ran a 4.67 in the 40 prior to the draft last April.

SPECIALISTS
Derek Chard, 6-3, 245, Connecticut: Chard handled all of the long-snapping duties for the Huskies during the 2009-10 seasons without incident. He also contributed seven tackles on special teams during that time.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Profiles-of-18-undrafted-rookies/e870280c-c4df-4a3c-8b3f-9bcfdd0a7dc4

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2011, 07:19 PM
John Clay will join Pittsburgh Steelers

by GERY WOELFEL
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/journaltimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/7e/77e1173c-b79b-11e0-9b1e-001cc4c002e0/4e2edc611a7cc.preview-300.jpg

Mike McCartney’s telephone seemingly never stopped ringing Monday night.

“It was crazy,‘’ McCartney said. “I can’t even remember all of the people I talked to.’’

The reason McCartney was kept so busy was because he represents John Clay, the former University of Wisconsin standout running back from Racine.

Clay, a Park High School graduate who was the 2005 Associated Press Wisconsin State Player of the Year, was expected to be one of the most coveted undrafted free agents on the market and, as McCartney will attest, he was precisely that.

On the first day in which NFL teams could contact undrafted players or their agents, McCartney said there was a “ton of interest’’ in his client.

When the dust has settled, though. McCartney and Clay agreed Clay’s services would best be served with one NFL team.

“John has agreed in principle to a contact with the Pittsburgh Steelers,’’ McCartney said of the Steelers, who lost to the Green Bay Packers 31-25 in Super Bowl XLV in January. “We think it’s a great fit for a number of reasons.

“It was important for John to get into a great organization with great coaching and tradition. And their style of play is critical and, in looking at their depth chart, they do have a need for a big, power back, which John is.

“Rashard (Mendenhall) had the fourth-most carries in the league last year, so they needed a complimentary big back. It’s important to have two big workhorse backs.

“John’s ecstatic. He has a tremendous amount of relief and excitement.’’

The 6-foot-2, 230-pound Clay, who was the Big Ten Conference Player of the Year two seasons ago, couldn’t be reached for comment Tuesday morning.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/journaltimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/0a/40a9eed6-b78e-11e0-8a06-001cc4c03286/4db8dca92c618.image.jpg

He is expected to fly to Pittsburgh today and sign a three-year contact wit the Steelers.

McCartney said another major reason Clay opted for the Steelers instead of the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears, among other teams, was because of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

McCartney said Tomlin attended Clay’s Pro Day workout in Madison before the draft and they quickly developed a nice rapport.

“He and Mike Tomlin had a real good conversation,’’ McCartney said. “When the head coach is excited about a player, that’s very important.

“When you consider that, and all those other things, it’s a home run for John.’’

Read more: http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/arti ... z1TFRbnQ4p (http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/article_fe57cd08-b78f-11e0-a1ed-001cc4c03286.html#ixzz1TFRbnQ4p)

phillyesq
07-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Some interesting names. Aside from those already discussed, Boyle and Chavis have interesting size as 3-4 DEs. Not sure if they can play any, but I know the Steelers always like to try to find a project for Mitchell.

MeetJoeGreene
07-26-2011, 11:13 PM

I do.

I almost look forward to the UDFA signings more than the draft.. I have always found it very exciting. (even though only a few really, really pan out)...

fordfixer
07-27-2011, 02:30 AM
I am not going to lie, I LOVE the Harvey pick-up. That was huge. He is a Monster at 6ft, 257, and just great athleticism and fundamentals.

Marshall Fan here. Ive watched Mario for 4 years now and his motor never stops. He has been able to get to the QB where you line him up at. He was also timed at 4.43 last year. The second fastest on the team. I hate to use the cliche but here it goes "Mario just has a nose for the ball, and anticipates well on where the ball will end up". Harvey has always been active in the Huntington community and beyond. Very nice and respectable young man that has never had a run in with the law.

I follow Ohio somewhat to and really like the McCrae signing too. He has good break away speed and has some of the softest hands Ive seen in a while.

Welcome to the Planet :tt1

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2011, 02:55 AM

Welcome to the Planet :tt1

hey SteelCity,

I would not be surprised to see Mario Harvey make the 53 man roster as he excels on special teams but I would definitely be very surprised to see Terrence McCrae make it...the practice squad seems much more likely.

and yes, welcome to the Planet. your first post was a very good one! :Cheers

Oviedo
07-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Harvey and Stevenson Sylvester could give us two very good young LBs.

The free agent I expect to make the biggest contribution is Wesley Saunders at TE. The kid has great skills. We know since he is on the offensive side of the ball Arians will actually let him play and show what he can do on the field versus any rookie on the defensive side of the ball who are forbidden to play.

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2011, 01:40 AM
A look at the Steelers 2011 Undrafted Free Agents

WRITTEN BY BLITZBURGH STAFF | 25 JULY 2011

With the lockout over, teams are now free to begin signing undrafted free agents beginning on the evening of July 25th. The Steelers have consistently been one of the best teams in the league at finding talent among the players who don't have their name called during the draft. Below is a player-by-player look at the 2011 UDFA class.

DT Anthony Gray, Southern Mississippi

Gray is a Philadelphia native who will likely play nose tackle in the NFL. He is massive, perhaps too big even, at 5'11", 330 pounds. He has ran the 40-yard dash in 5.1 seconds so he does seem to move around well enough, but it remains to be seen if he will be quick enough to play at the NFL level.

TE Weslye Saunders, South Carolina

Saunders is a very gifted football player who has had some issues off the field that caused him to drop from a mid-round pick at worst to a UDFA. He received improper benefits and was suspended for the entire 2010 season at USC. Saunders was actually initially declared ineligible from the draft for a while before being reinstated. He has good size at 6'5", 287 pounds and put up impressive receiving numbers for the Gamecocks. Saunders is a boom or bust type of sign.

DT Miguel Chavis, Clemson

At 6'4", 281, Chavis would likely profile as a 3-4 end in the Steelers system.

WR Terrence McCrae, Ohio University

McCrae is a big, record-breaking receiver from Ohio University who played his high school football at Connelsville. He is 6'3", but was still clocked at 4.45 for the 40-yard dash. He played in a very run-heavy offense in college and has a shot to surprise a lot of people if given a chance in the NFL. His size/speed combo alone make him interesting.

C Colin Miller, Central Michigan

Miller is a lanky center who struggled with injuries during his college career. He was healthy during his senior season, though, and was twice named to the Rimington Trophy watch list. It will be interesting to see how he matches up against NFL lineman, which is obviously a big upgrade over the competition he saw at CMU.

RB John Clay, Wisconsin

Clay is the biggest name of the Steelers 2011 UDFA signings so far. Clay left Wisconsin a year early and was likely shocked to not hear his name called at all during April's draft. The biggest question mark with Clay will be his speed and quickness. He ran a horrendous 4.83 40-yard dash at the NFL combine and NFL teams passed on him in the draft because they felt he is too slow to be a difference maker in the NFL. I'm looking forward to see how he performs in camp, though he has an uphill battle to make the roster.

WR Armand Robinson, Miami (Ohio)

Hailing from Big Ben's alma mater can't hurt. Robinson put up solid numbers and had several clutch TDs during his Redhawk career. He has good hands and is said to be a bright receiver, but hasn't shown NFL-caliber speed and will have to show a lot of improvement to make a roster.

TE/FB Vaughn Charlton, Temple

Charlton is an interesting player. He was Temple's starting QB during his junior season and moved to tight end during his senior year. The position switch shows what kind of team player Charlton is and he is a PA native too, which always gets points in my book. He's a definite project, though, as he doesn't have any great skills that stand out and is inexperienced.

WR Adam Mims, Furman

A quick, undersized receiver that played for a small football program at a school I have never heard of. He was a kick returner in college, and his small stature (5'8", 195lb) projects him as a Stefan Logan or Darren Sproles type of player.

OT Trevis Turner, Abilene Christian

Turner is a monstrous human at 6'7", 330 lbs. He was a stud OL at a D-II school, but D-II can only take you so far. No one saw first to spend a draft pick on him, but he could still develop into a serviceable lineman with his enormous frame. This is a preseason depth move for the Steelers, and Turner is likely going to spend the year on the practice squad before getting a shot to be a backup.

S Brett Greenwood, Iowa

Greenwood is coming off a rough shoulder injury, but prior to that setback he was one of Iowa's on-field leaders on defense. He was the established veteran in the seconday, taking young guys in and watching game film with them, constantly challenging and competing with them, and the best part about him is that he has always been modest in the media. He's a team-first guy whose work ethic and aptitude for film study could land him a spot on the Steelers' roster

CB Niles Brinkley, Wisconsin

A raw prospect that can be beaten by mediocre receivers. He's very durable though, only missing one game in 4 seasons. His technique is lacking in almost every facet of pass defense, but his willingness to try and support the run could help him land a spot as a special teams gunner for a few years. Don't expect him to crack the defensive lineup any time soon though.

OLB Erik Clanton, Citadel

At 6'3", 242lb, Clanton projects as a hybrid DE/LB. Unfortunately for him, the Steelers are stacked in that area right now and he's going to have to be a heck of a playmaker on special teams to find a place on the roster this year.

LB Mario Harvey, Marshall

He's smaller than Clanton (only 5'11", 250lb) and that will be an obstacle for him, unless, again, he turns into a force on special teams. It'll be a more difficult road for him to find a starting job at any point, because his size will likely limit him to ILB where the Steelers are well-set for the next few years.

WR Eric Greenwood, Idaho

Not L.C.'s kid, sadly. He is, however, a huge guy at 6'7", 223lbs and if he can hone his technique just a little bit, he could be a situational (red zone) go-to guy for the Steelers, especially given how [literally] short they are at WR.

DE Ty Boyle, North Dakota

Boyle is an athletic defensive end who had a bit of a knack for blocking kicks (three in his collegiate career). He'll need to add a few pounds to be an effective NFL player, but for a depth signing at DE he might do all right in a year or two.

OT Josh Harrison, South Carolina State

Harrison was a big, run-blocking guard at SC State and will join the Steelers as a tackle. But knowing how the Steelers play their O-line, he could be a backup at every position, much like Trai Essex, if he pans out as a serviceable player.

LS Derek Chard, Connecticut

He's a long snapper. That's about it. If something happens to Greg Warren (very possible), Chard will likely be the new guy.

http://blitzburghblog.com/2011-articles ... gents.html (http://blitzburghblog.com/2011-articles/july/a-look-at-the-steelers-2011-undrafted-free-agents.html)

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/journaltimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/7/7e/77e1173c-b79b-11e0-9b1e-001cc4c002e0/4e2edc5e08c50.image.jpg

Chadman
07-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Looking at the list, I'd say Clay, Harvey, Saunders, Gray & Brett Greenwood are the ones to watch.

Clay will battle Dwyer for a roster spot. If the Steelers carry 4 RB's into the season, I'd give Clay a 50% chance of being on the roster.

Saunders might have the easiest ride now that Speath is gone. He could, realistically, be the 2nd best TE on the roster right now. If no FA's are brought in- I'd say he'll get a helmet.

Harvey will have to hope Sylvester moves up the pecking order. If Sylvester can assume the #3 ILB role, Foote might be considered too pricey & be released, opening up a spot for Harvey. I'd say PS for Mario at this point.

Gray is probably the #2 NT on the team at the moment as Hoke is unsigned. Guess Hoke's signing/non-signing will determine Gray's roster spot. Gray might have a better chance at being on the roster than we expect.

Greenwood will have to beat either Will Allen or Mundy to a roster spot while fighting of Cromartie-Smith & possibly Cortez Allen (who I suspect may play CB anyway). Not easy. But if he proves enough, no Safety outside of the Starters is really a lock for a roster spot.

grotonsteel
07-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Steelers sign another UDFA Corbin Bryant, DE

A 21st undrafted free agent player was signed by the Steelers this morning as Northwestern defensive lineman Corbin Bryant was signed. The Steelers had some interest in Bryant prior to the draft as he reportedly was one of the 30 players they had in for a pre draft visit.

The 6-foot-4, 298-pound Bryant ran the 40-yard dash in 5.02 seconds at his Pro Day workout bench pressed 225 pounds 31 times as 28 NFL teams attended the workout. He also ran a 4.55 short shuttle, a 7.34 three-cone drill and turned in a 27 1/2 inch vertical leap and an 8 foot 6 broad jump.

Bryant recorded eight tackles for losses last year, one interception, six quarterback hurries, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble and was named honorable-mention All-Big Ten Conference for his play.

insanesteelersfan
07-30-2011, 03:00 PM

A 21st undrafted free agent player was signed by the Steelers this morning as Northwestern defensive lineman Corbin Bryant was signed. The Steelers had some interest in Bryant prior to the draft as he reportedly was one of the 30 players they had in for a pre draft visit.

The 6-foot-4, 298-pound Bryant ran the 40-yard dash in 5.02 seconds at his Pro Day workout bench pressed 225 pounds 31 times as 28 NFL teams attended the workout. He also ran a 4.55 short shuttle, a 7.34 three-cone drill and turned in a 27 1/2 inch vertical leap and an 8 foot 6 broad jump.

Bryant recorded eight tackles for losses last year, one interception, six quarterback hurries, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble and was named honorable-mention All-Big Ten Conference for his play.

Thanks. But I saw where Bryant was signed by the Bears once the lock out was over...what, did the Bears release him already ? :wft

grotonsteel
07-30-2011, 03:09 PM

Thanks. But I saw where Bryant was signed by the Bears once the lock out was over...what, did the Bears release him already ? :wft[/quote

Yeah i thought he had signed with Bears but that did not happen. Nnot sure why though.

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2011, 03:56 PM
Bryant to Chicago was probably an unconfirmed thing like last year when we supposedly signed LSU OT Ciron Black as a UDFA, but never actually did.

steelblood
07-31-2011, 04:42 PM
Corbin Bryant has NFL skill. I was very impressed with him at the Texas v the Nation game. Here are my notes...

98 Corbin Bryant DT Northwestern. 6’4 300. pancakes OG on pass rush. ¾ DE prospect. Good quickness to shot a gap and chase down RB for TFL. Runs really well. Qb pressure beating OT Jarriel King. Fights through G and RB for sack. Highly disruptive.

.................................................. ..........
I know he has no chance to make the top for DEs on this team (barring a preseason injury). But if we keep 7 DL as we often do, he could make the team. Hopefully, we'll be able to stash him on the PS for the year (or until Smith's arm falls off again). He really looks like he could have some pass rush potential in 4 man nickel/dime fronts.

hawaiiansteel
08-10-2011, 07:46 PM
TUESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2011

Tuesday news and notes

© The Steelers really like what they've seen out of rookie inside linebacker Mario Harvey.

Harvey is a thick, 6-0, 250 pounds, but is lightning quick.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

flippy
08-10-2011, 10:51 PM
TUESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2011

Tuesday news and notes

© The Steelers really like what they've seen out of rookie inside linebacker Mario Harvey.

posted by Dale Lolley

I've got him penciled in as leading candidate for ROY. It's gonna be a tough year for rookies to contribute and I have a feeling Harvey was built to be a ST demon.

Chadman
08-11-2011, 09:00 AM
TUESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2011

Tuesday news and notes

posted by Dale Lolley

That will depend heavily on if Sylvester can beat out Foote for the #3 ILB spot. If he can, Foote may be too expensive a #4 ILB...enter Mario...

I've got him penciled in as leading candidate for ROY. It's gonna be a tough year for rookies to contribute and I have a feeling Harvey was built to be a ST demon.

RuthlessBurgher
08-11-2011, 12:03 PM
TUESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2011

Tuesday news and notes

posted by Dale Lolley

I've been trying to find a weakness in Harvey...a reason why he went undrafted. Dude's tough, quick, strong, hardhitting, a leader, and a tackling machine on the field.

Someone like N.C. State's Nate Irving gets drafted in the early 3rd round by Denver, even though Irving is about 15 lbs lighter and ran a 4.76 40 (compared to a 4.43 40 for Harvey). What gives?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Two things I noticed at positional value. His height, but not really that big of an issue if he could sharpen his instincts and limit false steps. He's within an inch of many ILB but just generally you like them 6'1 and under 6'4. You want them big enough to have a good line of sight over the LOS but not to big to loose the leverage battle when becoming engaged. LBs are reading through players looking into the backfield and when you are upright or taller you open yourself up to a blocker getting underneath you and taking you deeper.

The more noticeable thing is his lack of ability at times to get off blocks. This is a bigger concern but the reasoning is simply not easy to pin point. Some lack the arm length. Some lack the upper body strength. Some lack the instincts and get themselves out of position by false steps or being caught flat footed allowing the blockers to get angles. Some just try to use there athelticism because that is what they have done there whole life and as the level of play increases...The drop off begins. This area is very hard to gauge when evaluating a ILB because allot of it isn't coachable.

What I saw in Harvey is when he went against some good competition like Ohio State he struggled getting off blocks and took himself out of plays by taking false steps or bad angles running around blocks. He wasn't good getting through the garbage. He showed closing speed and some ability in coverage. Also showed good ST play. He looked better against lesser competition so I'm sure the scouts noticed that since he went undrafted. He has great measurables in his workouts and nice college stats but he will start at the bottom to earn a spot. What I do see is a missile on ST early in his career. I think he could earn a spot on the 53 by that alone. Then they could see what part of his game he lacks is coachable. I do believe he has a fall back plan. He shows nice ability on the outside when asked to rush the passer. They might look at him there to add some positional value if he gets a roster spot. One thing for certain is he needs as much game time as possible to make his ST mark. Hurts he won't play Friday but hopefully he makes an impact game #2.

Slapstick
08-11-2011, 02:20 PM
When I look at Harvey, I see the same body type as James Harrison...I can also see him earning a spot on special teams like Harrison while he learns the playbook and develops his craft...

Harrison, as you recall, was cut four times before he was given an opportunity due to injury and Joey Porter losing his cool...

Nobody will ever duplicate Harrison's career (from UDFA to DPOY), but Harvey can find a place on the roster...

Oviedo
08-12-2011, 10:03 AM
TUESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2011

Tuesday news and notes

posted by Dale Lolley

I've been trying to find a weakness in Harvey...a reason why he went undrafted. Dude's tough, quick, strong, hardhitting, a leader, and a tackling machine on the field.

Someone like N.C. State's Nate Irving gets drafted in the early 3rd round by Denver, even though Irving is about 15 lbs lighter and ran a 4.76 40 (compared to a 4.43 40 for Harvey). What gives?

I've heard that 6' is "generous" as far as listing Harvey's height. That is probably what dropped him because lack of height becomes a liability for LBs in pass coverage.

I think Harvey will make the final 53 and be a special teams ace. We'll see what they have him doing starting tonite and over the next couple of preseason games. If he is getting noticed alot on special teams that will be very good for him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-12-2011, 12:04 PM
TUESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2011

Tuesday news and notes

posted by Dale Lolley

I've heard that 6' is "generous" as far as listing Harvey's height. That is probably what dropped him because lack of height becomes a liability for LBs in pass coverage.

I think Harvey will make the final 53 and be a special teams ace. We'll see what they have him doing starting tonite and over the next couple of preseason games. If he is getting noticed alot on special teams that will be very good for him.

At this point wouldn't his height and weight be based on his combine numbers?