PDA

View Full Version : Who might the Steelers cut/restructure?

steelblood
07-25-2011, 09:14 PM
We need to free up about 18-25 million to get under the cap and have enough money to sign Ike and fill out the roster.

Cut/Release Possibilities...
Randle El
Battle
Foote
McFadden (if we resign Ike)
Aaron Smith
Flozell (not likely)
Batch
Leftwich
Kemo (probably not, but he is overpaid for his play)

Paycut Possibilities...
Aaron Smith
Flozell

Contract Restructure and/or Extension to lower 2011 cap hit
Woodley
Troy
Heath
Hines

Who am I forgetting?

Oviedo
07-25-2011, 09:24 PM
We need to free up about 18-25 million to get under the cap and have enough money to sign Ike and fill out the roster.

Cut/Release Possibilities...
Randle El
Battle
Foote
McFadden (if we resign Ike)
Aaron Smith
Flozell (not likely)
Batch
Leftwich
Kemo (probably not, but he is overpaid for his play)

Paycut Possibilities...
Aaron Smith
Flozell

Contract Restructure and/or Extension to lower 2011 cap hit
Woodley
Troy
Heath
Hines

Who am I forgetting?

Restructure Ben and Harrison. Possibly Starks.

aggiebones
07-25-2011, 09:24 PM
This is such a crazy offseason that I expect some unnerving cuts.
For example, Aaron Smith may not get his farewell season. We can't afford that good will this season.
Adams is going to have to be cheap. If he's insulted, see ya. Sorry, no mas pesos.

Could Ward be cut? Prolly not. But he's old, in bad media light this offseason and is expensive. He's an asset still on the field and as a teacher, but this could be ugly. I love Ward, hope it doesn't get that nuts.
But Ike is more important than Ward frankly. Whatever it takes to keep Ike within reason.

phillyesq
07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
Restructure Ben and Harrison. Possibly Starks.

I think Ben is the most likely to be restructured. By converting his salary to a signing bonus, they can save a big chunk of cash.

I think/hope they'll work out an agreement with Smith for a pay cut.

Foote is awfully expensive for a backup inside linebacker. I wonder if he'd be willing to take a pay cut to avoid another Detroit-like situation.

Lebsteel
07-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Ahh....feels good to be back. How about Farrior? Cut or restructure?

Oviedo
07-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Ahh....feels good to be back. How about Farrior? Cut or restructure?

They won't cut because they have no replacement or depth at ILB. They should ask for a restructure.

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2011, 10:06 AM
A Woodley long-term extension would lower the cap hit from his current franchise tag value, but a Polamalu long-term extension would likely increase the cap hit from what he is due to earn in the last year of his current deal (although his last deal was a record-breaker at his position, the market has only gone up since then).

aggiebones
07-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Foote or Farrior are possible casualties if they thing Sylvester can play. You can find another decent backup ILB on the cheap. Could Foote start next to Timmons? He's younger and cheaper than Farrior. Farrior may only have 1 season left.
Syvester and Fox versus Foote? Who makes more? Who do we really need there?

Could be a cost shaving move here.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM
With Ward, Wallace, Sanders, and Brown at WR, one of either ARE and Battle are definitely gone, the other might not be far behind.

Farrior will not be dealt with at all IMO. He stays because he is still a key component to a D that is looking to contend once again, but restructuring means that we could be stuck with him as he ages. Also, as a starting player I doubt that they ask him to take an outright pay cut. That is normally reserved for players whose playing status has changed - as when Bettis went from being the starter to a short yardage back behind Parker.

Speaking of that, A. Smith has gone from maybe being the top 3-4 DE in the game to an aging player who should be rotated in and out if he is actually recovered from his injuries. His replacement is on the roster already as well. I love the guy but he should be asked to take a pay cut or be released.

Flozell costs nothing to cut. He was a fine replacement but is not worth $5M. He should be asked to take a pay cut - which would be the same as cutting him and re-signing him at a lower salary. I would take either him or J. Scott to compete (and probably beat out) with Gilbert for the starting RT spot. Price tag for either should be around $2 - 2.5M.

At $2M Foote is too expensive as a backup during a budget crunch. Sylvester steps up a spot and a rook or a cheap FA provides spotty depth.

There is about $10M or so.....there is a lot more to get with restructuring etc. The site that I use for the cap is down right now so can't get into specifics.

steelblood
07-26-2011, 11:32 AM
A Woodley long-term extension would lower the cap hit from his current franchise tag value, but a Polamalu long-term extension would likely increase the cap hit from what he is due to earn in the last year of his current deal (although his last deal was a record-breaker at his position, the market has only gone up since then).

He is making 6.4 mil this season. We could easily lower that with an extension that still gives him a raise.

For example, a 5 year 40 million dollar deal with a signing bonus of 15 million and base salaries of 2.25 in 2012, 3.25 in 2013, 5.5 in 2014, 7 in 2015, 7 million in 2016. So, his cap hits would be 5.25 in 2012, 6.25 in 2013, 8.5 in 2014, 10 in 2015, 10 in 2016. The 2015 and 2016 salaries would be big, but he may likely retire before we get there. If he does get there and isn't healthy he can be cut with only the 3 mil per year counting against the cap. The 5.25 cap hit this year would save us 1.15 mil. Next year's cap hit would also be very affordable.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Foote or Farrior are possible casualties if they thing Sylvester can play. You can find another decent backup ILB on the cheap. Could Foote start next to Timmons? He's younger and cheaper than Farrior. Farrior may only have 1 season left.

Foote and Farrior both have contracts running through next season.

Foote has a cap hit this season of $3M, Farrior has a cap hit of $3.825M

Savings by cutting Foote is $2.4M this season with a dead cap hit of $600K next season.

Savings by cutting Farrior is $2.825 this season with a dead cap hit od $1M next season.

Farrior is still a starter and a productive one. Foote is a backup who rarely sees the field and was already allowed to walk once.

It is a no brainer when comparing these two: Farrior stays, Foote goes.

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Foote and Farrior both have contracts running through next season.

Foote has a cap hit this season of $3M, Farrior has a cap hit of $3.825M

Savings by cutting Foote is $2.4M this season with a dead cap hit of $600K next season.

Savings by cutting Farrior is $2.825 this season with a dead cap hit od $1M next season.

Farrior is still a starter and a productive one. Foote is a backup who rarely sees the field and was already allowed to walk once.

It is a no brainer when comparing these two: Farrior stays, Foote goes.

:Agree

I don't have a problem cutting Foote to preserve cap space, even though we aren't likely to be bring Key Fox back either. Our LB depth would be Harrison, Timmons, Farrior, Woodley, Worilds, Sylvester, Mario Harvey, and Chris Carter. We could likely add a vet backup LB for a near-minimum deal after all of the big-name guys swallow up the big bucks early on.

flippy
07-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Some guys I love may deserve the axe.

Hines
Aaron
Casey

There's big money in those 3 and they might not be 3 down contributors.

I'd almost add farrior to the list but he's not too expensive.

And I'd probably cut memo and go with young guys at both guard positions.

steeler_george
07-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't think they will cut Aaron Smith, too much love fest, the fans, the front office, and of course Aaron loving the Steeler Nation.

Spaeth is goner. So is ARE.

Fox and Foote are also gone, I think Sylvester is a player. At least a servicable back up and special team player.

Oviedo
07-26-2011, 03:41 PM

He is making 6.4 mil this season. We could easily lower that with an extension that still gives him a raise.

For example, a 5 year 40 million dollar deal with a signing bonus of 15 million and base salaries of 2.25 in 2012, 3.25 in 2013, 5.5 in 2014, 7 in 2015, 7 million in 2016. So, his cap hits would be 5.25 in 2012, 6.25 in 2013, 8.5 in 2014, 10 in 2015, 10 in 2016. The 2015 and 2016 salaries would be big, but he may likely retire before we get there. If he does get there and isn't healthy he can be cut with only the 3 mil per year counting against the cap. The 5.25 cap hit this year would save us 1.15 mil. Next year's cap hit would also be very affordable.

You are talking about the Defensive Player of the Year and the best Safety in football. He will be looking for at least $10M per year.

I think there is a strong possibility that they don't extend Troy this year and wait to see if he stays healthy for the full season.

I think the near term priorities are Woodley and Timmons for long term deals. That would solidify your LB Corps for the next half decade.

phillyesq
07-26-2011, 07:50 PM
For what it's worth, per Mark Kaboly (who?) of the Trib, Aaron Smith is having dinner with Omar Kahn at the Steelers facility. Farrior is there too.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2011, 05:28 PM

You are talking about the Defensive Player of the Year and the best Safety in football. He will be looking for at least $10M per year.

I think there is a strong possibility that they don't extend Troy this year and wait to see if he stays healthy for the full season.

I think the near term priorities are Woodley and Timmons for long term deals. That would solidify your LB Corps for the next half decade.

Eric Weddle just got $40 million over 5 years with $19 million in guarantees. Eric #&@%ing Weddle will not be the highest paid safety in the NFL for very long.

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Eric Weddle just got $40 million over 5 years with $19 million in guarantees. Eric #&@%ing Weddle will not be the highest paid safety in the NFL for very long.

Eric Weddle is not even the highest paid safety in his own division.

Eric Berry received a six-year, $60 million contract with $34 million guaranteed from the Chiefs last year.