PDA

View Full Version : Rookie cap

birtikidis
07-25-2011, 04:40 PM
now that the CBA has been agreed upon, does anyone know the details? what's the rookie cap look like?

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2011, 10:10 AM
The only thing concrete that I have heard so far is that teams are limited to $75,000 total in signing bonuses for all of the undrafted free agents we sign. I haven't heard the specifics about contracts for the drafted rookies yet.

I assume that it won't impact the deal that we would give Heyward tremendously. I think the top 10 (or so) guys will get a big-time reduction compared to what comparable top 10 guys got in the past (Cam Newton's contract won't look anything like the blockbuster deal that Sam Bradford got), but guys taken at #31 overall weren't making a boatload in years past anyway, so I'd imagine only a slight decrease there (if at all).

aggiebones
07-26-2011, 10:40 AM
For the meantime, rookie cap will help the Steelers tremendously in 1 area.

More teams will take a chance on a QB at the top of the draft. I think paying huge piles of money to unknown QBs has hampered some teams in going for a QB. Maybe a couple more teams ahead of the Steelers will now take a QB, leaving some top players to slide downa bit more.