PDA

View Full Version : so it begins...

steelblood
07-25-2011, 04:38 PM
10 mil over the cap. Need to clear space to sign Ike (or another decent UFA CB).

Signing our rookies and finding some UDFAs doesn't even seem like a priority, but we need to do that quickly as camp begins in days.

I have faith in the Steeler brass, but they have their work cut out for them. Contracts will need restructured. Some vets may be cut. Woodley needs a new deal pronto to lower his hit.

Then, after all of this is done they need to start negotiating with Timmons and Troy.

Wow. Someone send Colbert a case of Red Bull.

Djfan
07-25-2011, 04:45 PM
We may have seen the last of A. Smith.

steelblood
07-25-2011, 05:21 PM

Can we still cut him and save this season? In past seasons, cutting a player in July did not take his salary off this books for this season. If so, I would say that the Steelers will likely go to him for a salary cut in the least.

Steelgal
07-25-2011, 05:35 PM

Not sure about that DJ. After the Steelers kept him off IR last year hoping he might be able to play in the Superbowl, I think that may have earned them some 'goodwill' that he'll take a paycut/restructure. It all depends too on how healthy he is as well. Hopefully he will remain on the team, albeit as a backup, reducing his salary and role with the team. Maybe that's just the Aaron Smith homer in me though.....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-25-2011, 05:37 PM

Can we still cut him and save this season? In past seasons, cutting a player in July did not take his salary off this books for this season. If so, I would say that the Steelers will likely go to him for a salary cut in the least.

Cutting a player prior to the start of the season has always taken his salary off the books for that year. The only difference is that it deferred a part of the pro rated signing bonus until the next year.

steelblood
07-25-2011, 05:42 PM

Cutting a player prior to the start of the season has always taken his salary off the books for that year. The only difference is that it deferred a part of the pro rated signing bonus until the next year.

Really? I thought if it was done after June the salary figure for the current year counted against the cap even if he was cut. Maybe I'm losing my mind in my old age.

phillyesq
07-25-2011, 08:17 PM
This is going to be a real crazy couple of days. I'm not sure yet if it will help or hurt the Steelers in the short run. I can see teams that have always done foolish things being even more foolish. I'm thinking primarily of the Redskins. The shorter window may also make it more difficult for a market to develop. Not sure quite how that will cut for the Steelers.

I believe I read somewhere that teams will have until next week to get in compliance with the cap. So the Steelers should be able to sign some players before they can restructure the deals that they'll need to work out.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-25-2011, 08:30 PM
ravens cut heap, mason, mcgahee, and kelly gregg saving around 18 million on their cap number.

looking like sydney rice is main target.

papillon
07-25-2011, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Ravens try to sign Nmadi Asoumgha.

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
07-25-2011, 09:00 PM

Pappy

Good, since they drafted a CB already, then we can take one of their starters last year and upgrade.

Northern_Blitz
07-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Pappy

Good, since they drafted a CB already, then we can take one of their starters last year and upgrade.

I think that the frenzy of activity in the next few days will work out well for us. We always let the crazy deals go first and pick up reasonable players at good prices. I think alot of teams will be cutting good players to get to the cap while trying to make a FA splash to excite the fan base. I look for our FO to pick up some good players at great value towards the end of the week (even if it means we may not re-sign Ike).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-25-2011, 11:49 PM

Really? I thought if it was done after June the salary figure for the current year counted against the cap even if he was cut. Maybe I'm losing my mind in my old age.

The significance of the June first cut was always that only this year's portion of the SB hit is counted this year with the balance coming of the following year. It worked out well if you cut a player with multiple years remaining on his contract, but did not matter if cutting a player in the final season of his deal.