PDA

View Full Version : Did the players shoot themselves in the foot?

Oviedo
07-24-2011, 10:19 AM
I was thinking but the over 90% floor (can't remember exact number) that the new CBA will mandate starting this season. Team will be required to spend beyond the floor. The difference between the floor and the cap limit is only a few percentage points.

Moving beyond this year when a premier FA hits the market won't teams have to cut players to free up cap space for big contracts? Won't this mandatory cap floor essentially cost veterans who have significant salaries their jobs?

It would seem that this will eliminate in the future teams who have huge cap space who could give a big contract and drive up prices for a premier FA.

D Rock
07-24-2011, 10:36 AM
The easy fix to that is to build a team the right way, and have a mix of player salary levels and only pay people what they are worth.

On other words...do things the Steeler Way.

Captain Lemming
07-24-2011, 12:02 PM
I would'nt say "the Players".
Just one player that I know of....Plaxico.

Discipline of Steel
07-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Im less interested in contract terms and more interested in seeing James Harrison blow up Brownies, Bengals, and Ratbirds. Get it done already, lets see some football... WooHoo :tt1

feltdizz
07-24-2011, 03:21 PM
I was thinking but the over 90% floor (can't remember exact number) that the new CBA will mandate starting this season. Team will be required to spend beyond the floor. The difference between the floor and the cap limit is only a few percentage points.

Moving beyond this year when a premier FA hits the market won't teams have to cut players to free up cap space for big contracts? Won't this mandatory cap floor essentially cost veterans who have significant salaries their jobs?

It would seem that this will eliminate in the future teams who have huge cap space who could give a big contract and drive up prices for a premier FA.

Teams who pay big money for FA's end up cutting the premiere FA a year later because they can't live up to their contract.

If a team has to cut players to get a premiere FA other teams will pick up those players.

Owners don't have to pay big money for these FA's...