PDA

View Full Version : Rice-Clark rivalry heats up on West Coast

fordfixer
07-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Rice-Clark rivalry heats up on West Coast
Michael Martinez
http://www.foxsportswest.com/07/21/11/R ... eedID=7972 (http://www.foxsportswest.com/07/21/11/Rice---Clark-rivalry-heats-up-on-west-co/landing.html?blockID=540432&feedID=7972)
July 21, 2011

Ray Rice, in LA to shoot a commercial, had some choice words for football/Twitter rival Ryan Clark from the Pittsburgh Steelers. (Photo by Geoff Burke-US PRESSWIRE)
GLENDALE, Calif. — Three time zones away, owners and players moved at a tortoise-like pace toward NFL labor peace with the owners voting to approve a new collective bargaining agreement. But on a sound stage not too far from the Rose Bowl, Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was making sure that Week 1 of the new season, if there is one, won't lack for a good storyline.

Rice chastised Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward on Twitter earlier this month after Ward was arrested in Atlanta on a drunk-driving charge. Now, Rice is at odds with Steelers safety Ryan Clark, who said recently that the Steelers and Ravens won't have a real rivalry until Baltimore starts winning a few more of their head-to-head meetings.

As luck would have it, the Steelers and Ravens are scheduled to face each other in the regular-season opener Sept. 11. How juicy.

"I think (Clark) was basically disrespecting us," said Rice, who was in town with Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis to film a commercial for a sports supplement drink. "Ryan is a respectable player, but I don't think the rivalry has to do with wins and losses. It has to do with the physicality of the games.

"If you hear about a Ravens-Steelers game, the first thing that comes to mind is a hard-hitting football game. That's what it's all about — who's going to hit the hardest and who's going to be standing at the end. Yeah, they've gotten the best of us, but what are we chasing? So for him not to call it a rivalry, I think he's kidding himself."

The Steelers have beaten the Ravens six of the past eight times they've met, including a 31-24 playoff victory last season. Ryan recently told Pittsburgh radio station KDKA-FM that for the series to be a rivalry "both teams have to win equally. I think just the hate between the fans doesn't make the situation a rivalry."

Clark conceded he was perturbed by tweets posted from Rice after Ward's arrest, saying he thought they were "disrespectful."

"As players, we should all be a fraternity of brothers," Clark said, "and what I mean by that is, if you have nothing good to say about something, why comment on it?"

After Ward's arrest, Rice tweeted that he thought the Steelers star receiver would be suspended for the opener. Rice said the issue of drunk driving is personal to him because he lost a cousin to a drunk driver in 1998. He also works with the state of Maryland to campaign against drunk driving.

Speaking about Ward, Rice said: "One thing I can tell you is that I respect him. I respect everything about him, and I respect everything he stands for. He has a lot of character. I don't have hatred toward anybody. It was just a personal issue. I went on Twitter and I was speaking outright. It was not a good look to get caught.

"Whether you were sober or not, it was coming across the screen — DUI. You're like, how did he get a DUI? He makes a lot of money. Even if you have one beer and, God forbid, get in a situation, you're thinking about the next man's life. Your whole legacy will go down as a guy who got behind the wheel."

Rice, 24, said he doesn't believe the Steelers-Ravens rivalry needs stirring, but he's anxious to face Clark.

"No added incentive," Rice said. "He knows how to find me. There's going to be many times where the hole is going to open up and it's going to be me and Ryan Clark. I know that.

"He's had a lot of knockout blows when people weren't looking. Trust me, when I've got the ball in my hands, I see. No shot. I know he's going to tackle me a few times, but let's see how many times we're going to do it to each other. Let the best man win. You win, I'll give you credit. If I get the best of you, I expect the same."

NJ-STEELER
07-24-2011, 01:04 PM
He was onthe Jim Rome show on Friday.

Again the reporter avoided asking his feelings about his team signing stallworth last year

insanesteelersfan
07-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Rice is an Idiot for sure. But Clark does do too much talking himself. And Ryan clearly is working on his after football profession with all his appearances on ESPN's First Take. He even was on it last season on a Monday the night we played at Cincy. Ryan didn't fly with the team, or did any pre-game drills. He just landed in Cincy less then a hour before the game, and went to the stadium. So Ryan is not really all that concerned about playing football all that much.

Captain Lemming
07-24-2011, 01:33 PM
"Rice-Clark rivalry heats up on West Coast"

No kidding, when I read this my first thought two there was a debate over what former Niner receiver was better. I was thinking "that is not even debatable" Rice in a landslide!!!

Even funnier is that I KNEW about the beef between "Ryan" and "Ray" but seeing those two last names and "West Coast" instantly brought the Niners to mind. :lol:

hawaiiansteel
08-01-2011, 07:41 PM
John Harbaugh: I don’t care what Ryan Clark says about anything

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 1, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/john-harbaughyell.jpg?w=141

Throughout the offseason, players on the Ravens and Steelers sniped at each other about their rivalry. But one Steeler sniped about Ravens-Steelers not being a rivalry at all. Steelers safety Ryan Clark said the Steelers have dominated the Ravens to such an extent that you can’t even call it a rivalry.

Today Ravens coach John Harbaugh was asked what he thinks about that.

“Everybody is entitled to their opinion,” Harbaugh said. “There’s a saying by Voltaire: ‘I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.’ Truthfully, I don’t care what Ryan Clark says about anything. I’m sure he’ll say the same about me. Let’s put it this way: He’ll be very fired up to play [when the teams meet in Week One], I’m sure. We love being underestimated. So if the Steelers choose to underestimate us, we appreciate that.”

Clark may not think the Steelers and Ravens have a rivalry, but I think it’s about as good a rivalry as the NFL has right now. I know I’ll be fired up to watch them meet in the opener.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -anything/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/01/john-harbaugh-i-dont-care-what-ryan-clark-says-about-anything/)

flippy
08-02-2011, 12:01 AM
At least Tomlin would say something that sounds cool in response to Rice if given the chance.

What the f's with Voltaire? Totally douchey.

birtikidis
08-02-2011, 02:16 AM
At least Tomlin would say something that sounds cool in response to Rice if given the chance.

I got a quote for Harbaugh
"suck my d!ck" - Ron Jeremy

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 07:52 AM

If Flippy did not exist, we would have to invent him...

flippy
08-02-2011, 08:35 AM

If Flippy did not exist, we would have to invent him...

Another brainiac on on the board :)

Do all of you guys have PHDs in psychology? :)

Slapstick
08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Another brainiac on on the board :)

Do all of you guys have PHDs in psychology? :)

Nope...I do have a degree in French, however... :D

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2011, 01:40 PM

What about Friedrich Nietzsche?

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger...unless your quarterball has an awful unibrow, of course."

hawaiiansteel
08-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Cousin’s loss still hard for Ravens’ Rice

By Les Carpenter, Yahoo! Sports
Aug 3

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – His name was Myshaun Rice and he loved to make music, which to a young Ray Rice(notes) made his older cousin the most important person in the world beside his mother. Myshaun was brilliant. Myshaun was talented. Everything Myshaun did was perfect. He had a record contract and a CD on the way. People were going to know him. People were going to be moved.

“He was the first male father figure in my life,” Rice says.

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2011/08/ipt/1312390374.jpg?x=180&y=280&xc=1&yc=1&wc=180&hc=280&q=100&sig=mVIFLsHEYsV7WjFEEPdbNg--

Ray Rice's tweet about Hines Ward triggered the latest shots in the Steelers-Ravens rivalry.

And then he was dead.

They were having a party that day in 1998 when they found out. Word had come back to Ray and his mother, Janet, and the rest of the family in the New York suburb of New Rochelle of a car accident in California. They knew Myshaun’s wife had died, they were told the driver might have been drinking but they had also been told Myshaun was going to live and because of that they were celebrating. Then an uncle appeared at the door and said: “Shaun’s body was not able to hold up. There were too many complications.”

“You know, I was only 11 years old,” Ray Rice says in the stillness of an office at the Baltimore Ravens’ headquarters. “I was only starting to understand death.”

A few weeks ago, not long after Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward(notes) was arrested on suspicion of a DUI, the Ravens’ running back fell into an odd war on Twitter with Ward’s teammate Ryan Clark(notes). It started with Rice, who responded to the news about Ward by tweeting: “Well it looks like Hines Ward will miss week one when the lockout ends. DUI charge not a good look.” This led to brief sniping back and forth between Clark and Rice before Clark promised, “I will find you.”

It came from nowhere and it was so vehement, so filled with judgment and disgust, that everyone assumed this must be more fighting between two teams that hate each other. Except it wasn’t like Rice to snarl like that, even if the Pittsburgh-Baltimore rivalry is as real as any left in sports today. Something didn’t make sense. And it would be weeks, until after the lockout finally ended and training camps opened, that Rice explained.

This was about Myshaun.

“There isn’t a player in this league who can’t afford a limo or a taxi,” Rice says. “I wasn’t attacking [Ward], just didn’t think it was professional. I don’t care if it’s one beer; I would never get behind the wheel and risk it. Why do that?”

Nobody reading the Internet firefight between Clark and Rice could know how Myshaun was the one who was there for a young Ray, who answered his questions, who taught him to play sports and told him the truth when it needed to be said no matter how much the words might have hurt. Ray’s father died in a shooting when the boy was 1. There was no father and a shortage of men stepping up to play one. For a time, Myshaun was.

He lived with Janet and Ray in their sixth-floor unit of a New Rochelle apartment building. He was an artist and could draw and write but his real passion was music.

Janet loved the way Myshaun could walk into a birthday party, find out whose birthday it was, step outside and come back two minutes later with a rap about the person. His stage name was S.U.P.E., which he said stood for “Spiritually Uplifting People Everywhere.” He moved to California and his career took off with the record deal and the promise of big things. He had seen the cover for his new album just days before the accident.

“They later said if he had survived he would be like this,” Rice says, holding his arms across his body and leaning straight against the back of his chair not moving. “That’s not who he was. He couldn’t live that way. “

The date was March 21, 1998. Ray has had it tattooed on his arm along with the initials S.U.P.E. and a question mark for when they will meet again. Even now, 13 years later, Janet Rice knows to call her son early in the morning on March 21 because she knows Ray will be devastated all over again.

“He is shining down on you,” she tells her son. “He’s up there watching you. When you’re running the ball he’s watching you and he’s with you.”

In one of Myshaun’s songs, there is a line that talks about those days in the apartment, about the love that stretched between family members. Ray loves this part because it’s a piece of him, of their old home and the life they had together before Myshaun went out to California and a drunk driver never let him come back. It’s in the rotation of songs he plays on the bus as it heads toward the stadium on game days. This is his inspiration, his power, even if all there are now are memories and words trapped in a digital file for Rice to pull out whenever he needs it.

That’s all he has of his cousin now, those words swirling around him in the hours before a game. “There are so many things going through his mind when he’s out there carrying the ball,” Janet says.

Far away her son sits in the office at the Ravens complex, staring at the wall. This could be a big season for him coming up, maybe his best yet. That’s saying a lot, because he ran for 1,220 yards in 2010 and 1,339 the year prior. But now he has a new fullback, Vonta Leach(notes), and the realization that with the defense they have, the Ravens are going to run the ball as much as they can.

But for now the biggest news he has made is about a silly battle on Twitter that ignited yet another war of words in a Ravens-Steelers rivalry that needed no more fire. He doesn’t hate Hines Ward and he respects Ryan Clark for leaping to the defense of a teammate. In the end, he says, they are all in a brotherhood as NFL players. It’s not even that he is mad at Ward for being arrested – he just hates the irresponsibility of it all.

Last year Donte’ Stallworth(notes), who killed a man in a drunken-driving accident, joined the Ravens. Rice approached him and asked to talk. He told Stallworth about Myshaun and was touched by the way Stallworth seemed tormented by his accident and wanted his new teammates to understand the same message Rice was pushing: Don’t drink and drive. It’s not worth it.

Ray Rice sighs as he sits in the quiet room.

It’s been 13 years since that uncle said Myshaun had died, and a part of Ray has not gotten over it.

“He’s the first one who showed me how your dreams can come true,” Rice says. “He showed us all.”

And that’s a far bigger thought than can fit in a 140-word hole on a Twitter page.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... ents080311 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhB5KE5KgRmPf6_TD7oHteQ5nYcB?slug=lc-carpenter_ray_rice_reason_for_twitter_comments0803 11)