PDA

View Full Version : Bush to the Steelers?

Djfan
07-21-2011, 07:01 PM
I know that this has been rehashed, but this article was new to me.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/07/19/reggie-bush-to-the-steelers/

Reggie Bush to the Steelers?

AUTHOR: Brandt Gelman | IN: Steelers | COMMENTS: 0 Comments |

With the NFL lockout presumably coming to an end some time this week, I think it is now safe to turn an eye to what may be the most hectic free agency period in the history of the league.

This epic free agency period may not be saturated with elite talent, but the acute window teams will have to sign its own players and pursue other talent, is what will make this signing period great for the fans, and a nightmare for reporters.

While the Steelers have many in-house issues to take care of as far as resigning players goes, I recently heard a very interesting perspective on a player the black and gold may be after.

ESPN’s football analyst Adam Schefter recently reported the Steelers have shown interest in acquiring Saints running back Reggie Bush. Now I know going after a high priced personality such as Bush is not really the Steeler way, but here me out, this one actually makes some sense.

When the Saints took Alabama running back Mark Ingram in the first round this past NFL draft, Bush realized his chances of ever being a No. 1 back for the Saints, or for anyone else in the league is a slim chance. He even tweeted that he enjoyed his time in New Orleans and that he loved the fans there, but expected to be leaving the team that drafted him No. 2 overall in 2006.

Bush has to be aware that he is no longer going to receive No. 1 running back money, and therefore would not be ridiculously expensive to acquire. Most importantly, I think he would fill a large role for the Steelers with his unique game-changing ability.

I don’t expect the Steelers to resign Mewelde Moore, which will leave the need for a third down running back. Bush could provide exactly what the Steelers need at that position with his pass-catching ability. In seasons where Bush played in 10-plus games, he never recorded less than 40 receptions. Moore has only recorded 40 receptions twice in his career, and only once with the Steelers.

With Ben Roethlisberger’s ability to get out of the pocket and scramble, Bush would be the perfect player for Roethlisberger to dump the ball off to when plays break down. While Bush has never shown the ability to run between tackles in his career, no one denies his abilities in the open field. He is a nightmare for opposing teams to contain in the open field, and can take any run all the way to the end zone on a given possession. He is exactly what the Steelers would need in a third down running back. His ability to extend plays and break enormous runs could prove to be a great upgrade to the Steeler’s offense.

We have not even discussed how Bush’s return abilities could help the Steelers. It seems as though the Steelers have become very content with simply having a return man with sure hands that can fair-catch most punts and safely hang onto the ball. Bush would add a different aspect to the special teams, in that he is a threat to return any punt for a touchdown, from anywhere on the field.

If the Steelers don’t resign Ike Taylor, there will certainly be enough money to sign a player such as Bush. I know that for the time being Bush to the Steelers is nothing more than a rumor, but I think it would be a good move if the price were right. If the Steelers don’t have to overpay for what Bush can bring to the team I am all for it. He was the most dominating player I ever watched play college football, and although he has not exactly translated those skills to the NFL, I would love to give Bush a chance to help the Steelers.

focosteeler
07-21-2011, 07:12 PM
if he isnt too expensive i say go for it

Snatch98
07-21-2011, 07:27 PM
I think this same article may have been posted before with the thread titled labeled "Steeler running back depth". I 100% agree that if the price is right it's a no brainer. He would be absolutely dynamic with Ben and his ability to scramble and extend plays. Bush in our offense has the ability to be pretty incredible and our offense would be insanely potent.

AzStillers1989
07-21-2011, 11:00 PM
I have though reggie bush to be over rated or at the very least over hyped... but he is a special type of player who can be a real x-factor....

This would be quite awesome if we did in fact pick him up and it worked out for both of us.

Oviedo
07-22-2011, 08:15 AM
if he isnt too expensive i say go for it

The Steelers have CUT costs to get under the new cap plus resign all their own free agents, drafted rookies and undrafted rookies.

I really doubt we will be in the "buy" mode unless it is for a CB if we lose Ike.

Bush is probably too expensive and playing at Heinz Field is not like playing in a dome in New Orleans. Not sure that Bush's talents would translate to our crappy playing surface.

Sugar
07-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Bush would be the biggest Steeler free agent signing since Jerome Bettis. Oddly, Reggie Bush is the anti-Bettis.

For some reason, I think the team will look to see what they can get with Baron Batch instead of paying sizable money to an outsider. They build through the draft (you know, the "Steeler way").

ikestops85
07-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Bush would be the biggest Steeler free agent signing since Jerome Bettis. Oddly, Reggie Bush is the anti-Bettis.

For some reason, I think the team will look to see what they can get with Baron Batch instead of paying sizable money to an outsider. They build through the draft (you know, the "Steeler way").

:Agree
I just don't see any way that we sign Bush.

Oviedo
07-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Common myth. We traded with St Louis for Bettis and did not sign him as a FA.

frankthetank1
07-22-2011, 11:20 AM
it would be great to sign bush for resonable money but im sure some other team will pay him more than he is worth. besides the steelers arent in the best shape with the salary cap to be signing any noteable players. they still have to re-sign ike before they go sign any FA's. what was the last big name player the steelers signed in FA? duce staley? its just such a rare thing that the steelers spend a lot of money in free agency, which is fine with me. its one of the reasons the steelers are so consistent

insanesteelersfan
07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
it would be great to sign bush for resonable money but im sure some other team will pay him more than he is worth. besides the steelers arent in the best shape with the salary cap to be signing any noteable players. they still have to re-sign ike before they go sign any FA's. what was the last big name player the steelers signed in FA? duce staley? its just such a rare thing that the steelers spend a lot of money in free agency, which is fine with me. its one of the reasons the steelers are so consistent

I agree on Bush being too costly for us. He is a darting, great pass catching RB out of the backfield. However I disagree that the Steelers are in Cap trouble. 10 million over is nothing. Restructure down Starks for sure. Maybe even cut Adams. And re-work Ward or Miller and we will go from 10 million over the cap to 20-25 under it easily. I mean there are teams over 40 million over the cap who have zero concerns :lol: The Steelers are not worried.

Shawn
07-22-2011, 02:05 PM
I do not see it happening. But, I am of the opinion that speed kills. Having several players with game changing speed makes an O very hard to defense. Can you imagine how fast/quick the Steelers O would be with Bush? Wallace, Sanders, Brown and Bush? I would like this signing very much.

birtikidis
07-22-2011, 03:09 PM
I think Mendy is plenty fast enough. From a finesse speed back perspective, I'm happy. I'd like to see the guy who is the battering ram get more looks. OH yea, I'd also like to see a fullback. But we all know that isn't gonna happen.

steelz09
07-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Bush would be an unbelievable weapon to have on this team.

There's two primary reasons why I wouldn't want the Steelers to sign in:

1) Ben's entire career, he has shown that he rarely "checks down" to RB's. If he did, his sack #'s would be way down.

2) Arians has know 0 ability in utilizing all of his weapons in the arsenal. And the Steelers do have weapons.. see below
--
1) Heath Miller - Severely underutilized
2) Wallace - An obvious big play threat
3) Antonio Brown - Has definitely shown the ability to make the big play in big moments (see the Ravens and Jets playoff games)
4) Emmanual Sanders - Surprised many of us last year
5) Hines Ward - On the downside of his career but still a threat.
6) Mendenhall - a good #1 RB but I wish he would stop tap dancing in the backfield.
7) Redman - A good player that runs hard and has come through lately in short yardage situations. Arians should have split the time 70/30, give or take, between Mendenhall and Redman.

A wild card in the WR area is Limas Sweed but I won't even put him on the above list until he proves something.

RuthlessBurgher
07-22-2011, 03:50 PM
I think Mendy is plenty fast enough. From a finesse speed back perspective, I'm happy. I'd like to see the guy who is the battering ram get more looks. OH yea, I'd also like to see a fullback. But we all know that isn't gonna happen.

Well, then you could still go along with the "Bush to the Steelers" theme, only replace Reggie with Michael, who should also be a free agent. :wink:

flippy
07-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Bush would force Ben to throw to a RB and take less hits. Nah, probably not. Ben would wait 10 seconds for Bush to get 50-60 yards down field.

AzStillers1989
07-23-2011, 03:12 AM

I feel the same actually after thinking more into this. Baron Batch looks like a quick lil fellow and I hope he can have some kinda of an impact coming outa the seventh round I beleive.

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Saints, Dolphins agree to terms on Reggie Bush trade

Posted by Mike Florio on July 28, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/103554741_crop_650x440-e1311811904884.jpg?w=229

For the second time in two days, a deal has been worked out for a high-profile player. And, for the second time in two days, the trade now hinges on the player working out an acceptable deal with his new team.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that the Saints have agreed to the terms of a trade that would send running back Reggie Bush to the Dolphins.

The deal hinges on the Dolphins working out an acceptable contract with Bush. Due to earn a base salary of $11.8 million in 2011, Bush will have to take a pay cut. (Of course, if he agrees to a long-term deal with the Dolphins, he could actually pocket $11.8 million in salary and bonuses in 2011, or more.)

There’s also a chance that Bush will stay put in New Orleans, if he agrees to accept a reduced rate of pay.

The move makes plenty of sense for the Saints, who would have had no choice but to cut Bush ASAP. If he tears an ACL or busts an Achilles’ tendon in training camp, New Orleans will owe him the full $11.8 million.

Also, by trading him the Saints will be able to ensure that he ended up out of their division — and out of their conference.

In the end, Bush’s place of employment for 2011 will come down to whether he wants to stay with the Saints or move on. Lately, he has been saying all the right things about New Orleans. His chance to prove that he means it has now arrived.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ush-trade/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/saints-dolphins-agree-to-terms-on-reggie-bush-trade/)

AkronSteel
07-28-2011, 03:12 AM
Bush may actually have a solid season for the Dolphins. I could see him being successful there. He will be a good match for Orton's skills for sure. Overall, he will be an upgrade over the injury prone Brown!