PDA

View Full Version : My take on the Ike situation

Djfan
07-20-2011, 12:46 PM
If he sits around too long in the FA pool, he will take the home town discount.

This being very unlikely, my guess is that we hang our hat on Lewis, and see Ike walk.

flippy
07-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Tampa's going to significantly overpay Nnamdi and someone else will follow suit and overpay Ike as a result. The whole CB position will get out of whack as soon as FA starts and I don't see us playing in this mess.

We'll likely end up with a lower tier FA CB. I think a Richard Marshall type might be the kind of guy that ends up in Pittsburgh. He's not great, but he's young, and athletic, and can tackle and Lebeau/Lake can work with him.

Plus with Gay and McFadden on the field, there's no reason to throw at someone else anyways ;)

RuthlessBurgher
07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
We should have 3 days of exclusive negotiating rights with Ike and our other free agents before they are exposed to the masses in open free agency. I think we offer Ike a fair market deal during that time and he accepts it so he can stay where he really wants to be instead of testing those free agent waters. As long as we don't try to lowball him, I think he stays. He wants that, we want that, make it work.

Oviedo
07-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Tampa's going to significantly overpay Nnamdi and someone else will follow suit and overpay Ike as a result. The whole CB position will get out of whack as soon as FA starts and I don't see us playing in this mess.

We'll likely end up with a lower tier FA CB. I think a Richard Marshall type might be the kind of guy that ends up in Pittsburgh. He's not great, but he's young, and athletic, and can tackle and Lebeau/Lake can work with him.

Plus with Gay and McFadden on the field, there's no reason to throw at someone else anyways ;)

:Agree Tampa will set the market value for CB and IMO it will be beyond our reasonable budget. Tampa has about $50M they MUST spent so they will be the biggest buyers in free agency just to comply with the rules.

hawaiiansteel
07-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Steelers focus should be on locking up young players not Ike Taylor

Mon, Jul 18th, 2011 by DePaoli

The lockout is coming close to an official end and NFL Free Agency is going to be chaos as teams will have a 72-hour window to resign their pending free agents before the frenzy begins with teams getting their rosters intact before training camp.

Due to players with 4 years of NFL experience scheduled to be free agents, it will also be a much larger pool of free agents.

The Steelers list of free agents, just to name a few, will include tackles Willie Colon, Jonathan Scott, cornerbacks William Gay, Ike Taylor, defensive tackle Chris Hoke, linebacker Keyaron Fox, kicker Shaun Suisham, punter Daniel Sepulveda, running back Mewelde Moore and tight end Matt Spaeth.

Quarterback Dennis Dixon is a restricted free agent and received an existing round tender before the lockout.

Every name on the list, expect for Keyarox Fox, are believed to be players the Steelers would like to retain to some extent.

The salary cap will be $120-$123 million and the Steelers are already a team with cap issues as they have over $125 million committed to their cap without any of their rookies signed and several pending free agents.

We'll examine Steelers free agency much more indepth in the immediate future but here are three things I'd like to see from management coming out of the lockout:

Make their 2012 free agents the top priorities: The Steelers top priorities once the league is back into business should be their 2012 free agency class, most notably locking up star linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons.

The team also has to take into consideration, other key free agents from that group including Mike Wallace whose going to land a big pay day and Troy Polamalu who sources say has intentions on playing another 3-to-4 years.

Let Ike Taylor walk. There's not a more pressing need for the Steelers than the cornerback position. On paper it makes little sense letting Ike Taylor walk but they should.

Taylor is a valuable corner but the Steelers can survive without him and will if he were to sign elsewhere. This is a defense that is based on their front-7 and they should think twice about committing another big contract into the 31 year old.

Make Willie Colon top priority:

There are great football minds among scouts who regard Willie Colon as one of the best right tackles in football. Fans seem to not get it but those inside the business truly regard Colon that highly.

The Steelers would be foolish not to make a strong attempt to resign Colon who wants to stay in Pittsburgh in the worst way and settle going into the season with 36 year old Flozell Adams and Jonathan Scott at right tackle, who will likely be resigned.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... lor/40352/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/mondays-daily-five-steelers-focus-should-be-on-locking-up-young-players-not-taylor/40352/)

Steelgal
07-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Depending on the new CBA rules, I believe there's a potential FA from the Bengals that I was wondering about (did I really just say that :shock: ) I think his name is Jonathon Joseph. Is he on the 'same tier' as Ike or could he go for less?

flippy
07-20-2011, 04:13 PM
How well will Colon recover? That's a big question imho.

I'd prioritize the FAs as follows:

1.Troy
2. Ike
3. Timmons
4. Woodley

Everyone else.

Colon's decent and all, but I can live with Scott starting at tackle. I thought he was pretty darn good down the stretch and you could move him or Max to the right side. And save some money. I'd rather see us upgrade the guard position with a FA. I think Legursky is one of our best 5 linemen and would still like to see him get a shot. We've got a lot of positional flexibility on the OLine and it's turned into a strength with or without Colon/Adams imho. I do think we could get Colon or Adams at a significant discount relative to their value.

Steelgal
07-20-2011, 04:20 PM

1.Troy
2. Ike
3. Timmons
4. Woodley

Everyone else.

Colon's decent and all, but I can live with Scott starting at tackle. I thought he was pretty darn good down the stretch and you could move him or Max to the right side. And save some money. I'd rather see us upgrade the guard position with a FA. I think Legursky is one of our best 5 linemen and would still like to see him get a shot. We've got a lot of positional flexibility on the OLine and it's turned into a strength with or without Colon/Adams imho. I do think we could get Colon or Adams at a significant discount relative to their value.

Flippy, I think they wait on Troy until after the season. While he's definately not Bob Sanders, he's been hampered by injuries the past few years. See how he does this year, injury-wise, and go from there. If he should miss a significant part of the season and I pray he doesn't, you have to take that into account. Atleast that's how I'd handle it. Good thing I don't run the negotiations :lol:

flippy
07-20-2011, 04:31 PM

1.Troy
2. Ike
3. Timmons
4. Woodley

Everyone else.

Flippy, I think they wait on Troy until after the season. While he's definately not Bob Sanders, he's been hampered by injuries the past few years. See how he does this year, injury-wise, and go from there. If he should miss a significant part of the season and I pray he doesn't, you have to take that into account. Atleast that's how I'd handle it. Good thing I don't run the negotiations :lol:

My thinking on Troy is if you get him for 4 more years and only 1-2 are healthy, that's still ok cause you're probably competing for 1-2 SuperBowls in the years he's healthy.

Healthy Troy may have the best link to our SuperBowl chances. So I think you just take the gamble. The risk isn't optimal. But it's balanced with the upside.

The other FAs aren't the difference between SuperBowl/no SuperBowl.

RuthlessBurgher
07-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Depending on the new CBA rules, I believe there's a potential FA from the Bengals that I was wondering about (did I really just say that :shock: ) I think his name is Jonathon Joseph. Is he on the 'same tier' as Ike or could he go for less?

I think Joseph could go for more than Ike, because Joseph is entering his prime, while Ike is on the back 9 of his career.

Oviedo
07-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Steelers focus should be on locking up young players not Ike Taylor

Mon, Jul 18th, 2011 by DePaoli

The lockout is coming close to an official end and NFL Free Agency is going to be chaos as teams will have a 72-hour window to resign their pending free agents before the frenzy begins with teams getting their rosters intact before training camp.

Due to players with 4 years of NFL experience scheduled to be free agents, it will also be a much larger pool of free agents.

The Steelers list of free agents, just to name a few, will include tackles Willie Colon, Jonathan Scott, cornerbacks William Gay, Ike Taylor, defensive tackle Chris Hoke, linebacker Keyaron Fox, kicker Shaun Suisham, punter Daniel Sepulveda, running back Mewelde Moore and tight end Matt Spaeth.

Quarterback Dennis Dixon is a restricted free agent and received an existing round tender before the lockout.

Every name on the list, expect for Keyarox Fox, are believed to be players the Steelers would like to retain to some extent.

The salary cap will be $120-$123 million and the Steelers are already a team with cap issues as they have over $125 million committed to their cap without any of their rookies signed and several pending free agents.

We'll examine Steelers free agency much more indepth in the immediate future but here are three things I'd like to see from management coming out of the lockout:

Make their 2012 free agents the top priorities: The Steelers top priorities once the league is back into business should be their 2012 free agency class, most notably locking up star linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons.

The team also has to take into consideration, other key free agents from that group including Mike Wallace whose going to land a big pay day and Troy Polamalu who sources say has intentions on playing another 3-to-4 years.

Let Ike Taylor walk. There's not a more pressing need for the Steelers than the cornerback position. On paper it makes little sense letting Ike Taylor walk but they should.

Taylor is a valuable corner but the Steelers can survive without him and will if he were to sign elsewhere. This is a defense that is based on their front-7 and they should think twice about committing another big contract into the 31 year old.

Make Willie Colon top priority:

There are great football minds among scouts who regard Willie Colon as one of the best right tackles in football. Fans seem to not get it but those inside the business truly regard Colon that highly.

The Steelers would be foolish not to make a strong attempt to resign Colon who wants to stay in Pittsburgh in the worst way and settle going into the season with 36 year old Flozell Adams and Jonathan Scott at right tackle, who will likely be resigned.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... lor/40352/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/mondays-daily-five-steelers-focus-should-be-on-locking-up-young-players-not-taylor/40352/)

I have to agree that Timmons and Woodley and Troy are higher priorities than Ike, but I'll get an ulcer watching our secondary this fall.

Steelgal
07-20-2011, 04:46 PM

I think Joseph could go for more than Ike, because Joseph is entering his prime, while Ike is on the back 9 of his career.

Yep, after I posted that, I went and did some reading. It seems he and Asughma are considered the higher prospects for CBs, then Ike is the next level down. So much for that idea.

sentinel33
07-20-2011, 05:28 PM
With Ike wanting market value+ and the Steelers being roughly 10.5 mill over the "cap", some other things have to happen just so we can offer him any sort of contract.

A. Smith needs to restructure. Or the unthinkable may happen...

I don't see Adams coming back.That's fine with me cause I am quite comfortable with J. Scott on the right side. Like Flippy said above, probably get him and legursky for a much sweeter deal than tryin to keep adams and colon. could go a long way in retaining Taylor. I can't imagine Foster would cost a whole lot either. and with C. Scott and bot rookies we drafted this year, frankly the cupboard is too full for Adams and Colon.

Would like Taylor over Colon and Adams across the board. I feel pretty cobfident A. Smith will restructure.

Along with some other financial finaggling that I have no clue about, maybe the Steelers can keep Ike. Gonna be tight, though.

And if not, Richard Marshall.

pittpete
07-20-2011, 08:45 PM
but I'll get an ulcer watching our secondary this fall.

I allready have one from watching our secondary last year :HeadBanger

winwithd
07-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Instead of settling for Lewis as someone suggested, what about Crezdon Butler? Does he have a shot to start if Ike leaves?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Is that writer up there ^^^ correct - the best football minds around consider Colon one of the best right tackles around?

Seems he was good for one point three false starts a game, guaranteed, wasn't he?

You guys agree he's one of the best around (pre-injury, anyway)?

hawaiiansteel
07-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Is that writer up there ^^^ correct - the best football minds around consider Colon one of the best right tackles around?

Seems he was good for one point three false starts a game, guaranteed, wasn't he?

According to his agent, Willie Colon is the best right tackle in the NFL...

Oviedo
07-21-2011, 08:19 AM

http://www.postgameheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/WTF-2.jpg

Someone will likely overpay for him, but he would be smart to sign a one year deal with the Steelers to prove how healthy he is and compete in a system he knows versus going somewhere new and learning as he goes.

There is going to be alot of overpaying because of the new cap floor requirements. Teams will be forced to spend money they might have held on to so the result will be inflation of salaries.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-21-2011, 10:52 AM

I don't agree, but I've heard it before that Colon is considered a good RT. Only his agent called him the best so take that for what its worth.

I think that most Steelers fans do not consider him elite, but in his defense he has never had a good RG lined up next to him.

RuthlessBurgher
07-21-2011, 12:25 PM

http://www.postgameheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/WTF-2.jpg

Someone will likely overpay for him, but he would be smart to sign a one year deal with the Steelers to prove how healthy he is and compete in a system he knows versus going somewhere new and learning as he goes.

There is going to be alot of overpaying because of the new cap floor requirements. Teams will be forced to spend money they might have held on to so the result will be inflation of salaries.

I agree that it would be smart for Colon to sign a moderate short term deal in Pittsburgh (where he already knows the offensive system) to prove that he is fully healthy after his Achilles tear, as opposed to going elsewhere and trying to learn a new system in an extremely short amount of time while also trying to come back from a debilitating injury simultaneously. If he signs a one-year deal with us to prove that's back, then he could potentially make more money in a long term deal next year (from us or another team). I doubt anyone would be thrilled to risk huge dollars on someone who is question mark right now.

ikestops85
07-21-2011, 05:12 PM
With Ike wanting market value+ and the Steelers being roughly 10.5 mill over the "cap", some other things have to happen just so we can offer him any sort of contract.

A. Smith needs to restructure. Or the unthinkable may happen...

I don't see Adams coming back.That's fine with me cause I am quite comfortable with J. Scott on the right side. Like Flippy said above, probably get him and legursky for a much sweeter deal than tryin to keep adams and colon. could go a long way in retaining Taylor. I can't imagine Foster would cost a whole lot either. and with C. Scott and bot rookies we drafted this year, frankly the cupboard is too full for Adams and Colon.

Would like Taylor over Colon and Adams across the board. I feel pretty cobfident A. Smith will restructure.

Along with some other financial finaggling that I have no clue about, maybe the Steelers can keep Ike. Gonna be tight, though.

And if not, Richard Marshall.

I'm not sure why Richard Marshall gets so much love around here. He is listed as one of the 10 worst corners in the league last year and he wasn't much better the year before that. I'd rather stick with McFadden and Gay :oops:

LordVile
07-26-2011, 11:53 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/07/26/taylor- ... year-deal/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/07/26/taylor-staying-with-steelers-on-four-year-deal/)

The Steelers agreed to a four-year deal to keep CB Ike Taylor, a league source said Tuesday. :Beer