PDA

View Full Version : Who is the next J. Bettis acquisition?

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
07-20-2011, 08:59 AM
By that I mean...who is the next guy we sign that brings significant results, a steeler attitude and that comes pretty cheap who may seem done with his current team.

Here is my list that I wouldn't mind signing who I think can really make a difference and who still have the talent.

Marion Barber 111--If healthy he is only 28 and wasn't used correctly by the Boys. Health is the issue here so my fav to sign would be:

DeAngelo Williams-- 28 and full of talent. I think he would be a perfect 1-2 punch with Mendy and could be had cheap.

Thoughts?

RuthlessBurgher
07-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I think DeAngelo is going to follow Coach Fox into the Rocky Mountains (and I don't necessarily think he'll come all that cheap...he'll want starter money). He'll have more of a shot to be a feature back with Knowshon Moreno as competition than Rashard Mendenhall.

I don't see us signing anyone of major importance from another team in the next 2 years (other than a minor signing primarily for special teams and general depth). Our focus will be on extending our own players such as Ike Taylor, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, Troy Polamalu, and Mike Wallace.

The front office will avoid other major signings that could prevent us from being able to hold onto our own. The only caveat here would be if we are unable to bring back Ike, then we'd likely sign a veteran CB from another team to be his replacement (but it would be more on the Carlos Rogers level than the Nnamdi Asomugha level).

Oviedo
07-20-2011, 10:33 AM
By that I mean...who is the next guy we sign that brings significant results, a steeler attitude and that comes pretty cheap who may seem done with his current team.

Here is my list that I wouldn't mind signing who I think can really make a difference and who still have the talent.

Marion Barber 111--If healthy he is only 28 and wasn't used correctly by the Boys. Health is the issue here so my fav to sign would be:

DeAngelo Williams-- 28 and full of talent. I think he would be a perfect 1-2 punch with Mendy and could be had cheap.

Thoughts?

I think with our salary cap issues and the need to attempt to resign Ike Taylor this year and Troy and Timmons next year plus give Woodley a long term contract, bringing in anyone from the outside is a pipe dream.

Time to pay the piper with regards to our success in hanging onto our own veterans. Quite a few will have to become cap casualties and we are going to have to rely on young guys to step in.

flippy
07-20-2011, 10:37 AM
DeAngelo is potentially the best RB in football. No way he plays second fiddle in Pittsburgh. He's way more talented than Mendy and someone should pay him.

I think Tampa should go after him.

I think we could end up with a guy like Richard Marshall.

sentinel33
07-20-2011, 11:30 AM
I am also on the Richard Marshall train. Based on what I've read, he seems like a nice fit in Pittsburgh. IF Taylor walks.

No thanks on D. Williams or any RB for that matter. What a waste of money that would be with what is in the cupboard-Mendenhall,Redman(will re-sign),Dwyer and Batch.

With the Steelers being 10 million over, gonna be tough to get somebody in there. Somebody who can contribute the way the author wants, anyway.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
I am also on the Richard Marshall train. Based on what I've read, he seems like a nice fit in Pittsburgh. IF Taylor walks.

No thanks on D. Williams or any RB for that matter. What a waste of money that would be with what is in the cupboard-Mendenhall,Redman(will re-sign),Dwyer and Batch.

With the Steelers being 10 million over, gonna be tough to get somebody in there. Somebody who can contribute the way the author wants, anyway.

Yea I see the point--Just dreamin I guess. You would think there would be a couple of guys with the basketball mentality of I want to win one and take less money!