PDA

View Full Version : Interesting TidBits on ESPN Radio

flippy
07-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Lots of football talk on ESPN today which was nice since I was in the car a lot.

Couple interesting things I heard:

1. Tampa Bay is $59M under the cap. So they have to spend $50M+ to hit the minimum spend for the year. That means they're gonna sign a guy like Nnamdi for a ridiculous contract and put the CB position out of whack and probably hurting our chances at Taylor or a replacement. Sounds like this could get like hockey where some teams just overpay to reach the minimum spend. That could put a wrinkle in the whole NFL system that I wasn't considering.

2. Roddy White's a really nice guy. And he hates Goodell and re-iterated that all the players hate him because he never talks to players and he arbitrarily hands down decisions.

It was interesting to hear the perspective of a WR that says any time a player has the ball, a defender should be able to hit him however he needs to hit him to bring him down. Everything is fair game in his opinion and it's just football and hard hits happen some times including hits to the head.

He did mention guys probably need to be protected when they don't have the ball and get hit unneccesarily. But that fine probably deserves to go to the QB for putting his guy in a bad position. Thought it was kinda funny that he said a defender can't help a QB putting a WR in a bad position.

hawaiiansteel
07-20-2011, 12:45 AM
I also was very impressed by Roddy White and his candor about the players' dislike with the inconsistent way Roger Goodell handles disciplinary decisions.

in particular, I liked Roddy's stance that the players would like something in writing that they can follow instead of depending on how Goodell feels when he wakes up that particular morning...

Djfan
07-20-2011, 01:52 AM
Sounds like Roddy reads Planet Steelers posts!!!

fordfixer
07-20-2011, 02:20 AM
Doesn't everyone?????????????????

flippy
07-20-2011, 10:04 AM

Clearly Goodell doesn't.

fordfixer
07-20-2011, 12:11 PM

Clearly Goodell doesn't.
Are you sure he can read?

Djfan
07-20-2011, 12:42 PM

Clearly Goodell doesn't.

I bet Harrison buys Goodell a yearly subscription to Teen Beat.

RuthlessBurgher
07-20-2011, 01:04 PM

Clearly Goodell doesn't.

http://predominantlyorange.com/files/2011/02/Collective_Bargaining_Dummies1.jpg