PDA

View Full Version : 10 Steelers who deserve to be in the HOF

Djfan
07-17-2011, 05:29 PM
It's one of those slide shows again, so click on it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/767589-10-former-pittsburgh-steelers-who-deserve-to-be-in-the-hall-of-fame

Some are for sure IMO, and some are borderline.

hawaiiansteel
07-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Dermontti Dawson not being in the Hall of Fame is hard to understand.

papillon
07-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Dawson and Bettis will get in the others probably not although I think LC Greenwood definitely belongs. Donnie Shell not even being mentioned as one of the 10 is ridiculous as well. When he retired he was second among safeties in INTs and 1st (I think) in turnovers. Shell was a Ronnie Lott type before Ronnie Lott, not saying he's as good, but he was a hitter and a ball hawk in is day.

Pappy

Ozey74
07-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Dawson should be in w/out ?. How good would of Shell's stats been had he not played on a defense with 1,000 Hall of Famers. Not trying to hate, but I'm just saying????

Captain Lemming
07-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Dawson should be in w/out ?. How good would of Shell's stats been had he not played on a defense with 1,000 Hall of Famers. Not trying to hate, but I'm just saying????

Actually Shell was the only 70s era Steeler defender who had his best years in the 80s.

Nobody on the D save for Lambert was still elite when Shell was an allpro.

Shell DID MORE WITH LESS HELP, than the reat.

Your criticism could more easily be levied against LC than Shell.

Shell was arguably our best defender period for several years. You could ake a case dor Lambertyrujklb. Nonody else was close during the early eighties.

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2011, 02:03 AM
SATURDAY, AUGUST 06, 2011

Weekend news, notes

Both Ed Bouchette and Peter King, a pair of Hall of Fame voters, Tweeted Saturday night that they believe Dermontti Dawson will be part of next year's Hall of Fame class.

It's about time.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Shoe
08-09-2011, 02:59 PM
I won't comment on the Donnie Shell thing. I do think that it's basically impossible to have 11 Hall of Famers from your defense, as this article seems to be saying. I mean, Shell, Greenwood, White, Holmes along with Ham, Lambert, Greene, Blount? C'mon... I mean I'm a homer like anyone else, but we didn't have no EIGHT Hall of Famers on our D.

But... I believe Dawson is a bit overrated. He was very good to be sure. I'm sure he's not first ballot... and so, after that, it's circumstance. In other words, I don't think he is a shoe-in like everyone else seems to think. I think Kevin Greene (if you are going to consider him a Steeler) is the MOST accomplished in terms of accomplishments of any of those on the list.

I also believe that, given my watching the whole 90's teams, that GREG LLOYD was the heart-&-soul of the team. It wasn't Dawson. It wasn't Bettis. It wasn't even Rod Woodson. It was Lloyd. But I also understand that his career length works against him too, and because of it--will never get serious consideration.