PDA

View Full Version : Thank God for the Pirates

JTP53609
07-15-2011, 03:02 PM
I dont know about yinz guys, but I love the Steelers as much as anyone, but the Penguins kept my interest until their final game in April and the Pirates still have my interest now making this NFL offseason (which should now be camp time) tolerable. I am looking forward to the Pirate games every night I can watch them.
Usually at this point I am begging for the leaves to turn and the weather to change because it is nearing football season, I am still hoping for that to happen because there is nothing like a crisp autumn day sitting around the television eating good food and cheering on the Steelers with family and friends, but thanks to my Pirates, they are giving me the fandom that I need.

feltdizz
07-15-2011, 03:21 PM
I dont know about yinz guys, but I love the Steelers as much as anyone, but the Penguins kept my interest until their final game in April and the Pirates still have my interest now making this NFL offseason (which should now be camp time) tolerable. I am looking forward to the Pirate games every night I can watch them.
Usually at this point I am begging for the leaves to turn and the weather to change because it is nearing football season, I am still hoping for that to happen because there is nothing like a crisp autumn day sitting around the television eating good food and cheering on the Steelers with family and friends, but thanks to my Pirates, they are giving me the fandom that I need.

:Agree

RuthlessBurgher
07-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Love football. Love hockey. Don't miss Steelers or Penguin games. I'll turn on a baseball game if I need a nap. Too slow for my taste. I'll take the kids to maybe one minor league game a year (we have the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees AAA team up in these parts) and that's alright in small doses, but I cannot watch baseball on T.V. and remain conscious for very long.

SteelBucks
07-15-2011, 06:02 PM

:Agree

+1

After 18 years, we finally have a pennant race in Pittsburgh!

GO BUCS!

Dee Dub
07-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Pirates Suck! I give them till August 20 and they will be where they always are. In the basement. :lol:

Now when my Reds land Ubaldo Jimenez it is straight on. :Beer

Ubaldo Jimenez On Reds' Radar
By Tim Dierkes [July 12, 2011 at 11:27am CST]
The Reds have Rockies ace Ubaldo Jimenez "on their radar," report Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. However, the Rockies "have yet to engage in meaningful dialogue about Jimenez with the Reds or any other club," and the Reds are not certain to be trade deadline buyers.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincinnat ... index.html (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincinnati_reds/index.html)

fordfixer
07-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Love football. Love hockey. Don't miss Steelers or Penguin games. I'll turn on a baseball game if I need a nap. Too slow for my taste. I'll take the kids to maybe one minor league game a year (we have the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees AAA team up in these parts) and that's alright in small doses, but I cannot watch baseball on T.V. and remain conscious for very long.
I'm sorry I fell asleep reading this .................. What were you saying :lol:

JTP53609
07-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Pirates Suck! I give them till August 20 and they will be where they always are. In the basement. :lol:

The Reds have Rockies ace Ubaldo Jimenez "on their radar," report Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. However, the Rockies "have yet to engage in meaningful dialogue about Jimenez with the Reds or any other club," and the Reds are not certain to be trade deadline buyers.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincinnat ... index.html (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincinnati_reds/index.html)

the reds had their season last year....but just to make sure I hope Ubaldo does not wind up there.

frankthetank1
07-17-2011, 11:54 AM

haha give them till the end of the season then they will tank? uh after the last 18 seasons or so i will take that. finally things are looking good for the pirates. they finally have some good young talent so i think they will be a good team for a while.

D Rock
07-17-2011, 12:14 PM

haha give them till the end of the season then they will tank? uh after the last 18 seasons or so i will take that. finally things are looking good for the pirates. they finally have some good young talent so i think they will be a good team for a while.

Let's hope this pitching isn't just a mirage and actually lasts a couple seasons.

Being down in Dallas now, I have some pretty big Texas Rangers fans in my class. They weren't happy that we pulled Clint Hurdle away from them to be our manager. Funny thing is...he was a hitting coach, and from their opinion, a very good one. Now the Buccos hitting isn't too hot, but the pitching is way up. Did we bring in a new pitching coach too for this year?

JTP53609
07-17-2011, 01:47 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":blx3r6uz]Pirates Suck! I give them till August 20 and they will be where they always are. In the basement. :lol:

Let's hope this pitching isn't just a mirage and actually lasts a couple seasons.

Being down in Dallas now, I have some pretty big Texas Rangers fans in my class. They weren't happy that we pulled Clint Hurdle away from them to be our manager. Funny thing is...he was a hitting coach, and from their opinion, a very good one. Now the Buccos hitting isn't too hot, but the pitching is way up. Did we bring in a new pitching coach too for this year?[/quote:blx3r6uz]

we did, his name is ray searage, he has a very good rapport with the pitchers and I think he is the reason why they are doing what they are doing...
as for hurdle, you cant ask crap to taste like filet mignon, the pirates lineup outside of a few players is nothing special, its not hurdles fault we have our 7th catcher of the year behind the plate and a journeyman first basemen and rookies everywhere.

Ozey74
07-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Living in the midwest, I get to see all Reds and Cardindals games & am looking forward to this week since these are the next two Pirate opponents. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm on the bandwagon (now that they are trying to win).

:Beer

hawaiiansteel
07-17-2011, 08:00 PM
it's mid-July and the Pirates have a winning record...is nothing sacred? :Beer

http://mlblogstheburghblues.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/3657931093_aaf96bc8a0-thumb-500x321-12844711.jpg

AzStillers1989
07-18-2011, 02:38 AM
KEEP IT UP BATTLIN' BUCS!!!!!

:Beer :tt2

Oviedo
07-18-2011, 09:19 AM
It's the middle of July and the Pirates are playing meaningful baseball. That is great and I will totally embrace them. It seems like the current management team has got the formula right and are building on a foundation of a strong minor league league system.

A viable Pirates just makes Pittsburgh that much greater as a city for those who live there and those whose hearts will always be there.

feltdizz
07-18-2011, 12:48 PM
It's the middle of July and the Pirates are playing meaningful baseball. That is great and I will totally embrace them. It seems like the current management team has got the formula right and are building on a foundation of a strong minor league league system.

A viable Pirates just makes Pittsburgh that much greater as a city for those who live there and those whose hearts will always be there.
:Agree :Clap :Clap :Clap

papillon
07-18-2011, 03:48 PM
I was a big baseball fan back in the dark ages (70s, 80s and early 90s) and then the Pirates decided that they weren't going to pay for any talent and kids came along and they didn't like baseball, so my enthusiasm for the Pirates waned. I'm happy they're doing well, but the only Pirate that I know is Clint Hurdle and he's the manager. I'll have to catch up with them and start reading box scores.

Good for the Pirates and the city. Here's hoping that the ownership goes out and tries to get a player or two that will help them get into the playoffs this year.

Pappy

ikestops85
07-18-2011, 04:15 PM
I was a big baseball fan back in the dark ages (70s, 80s and early 90s) and then the Pirates decided that they weren't going to pay for any talent and kids came along and they didn't like baseball, so my enthusiasm for the Pirates waned. I'm happy they're doing well, but the only Pirate that I know is Clint Hurdle and he's the manager. I'll have to catch up with them and start reading box scores.

Good for the Pirates and the city. Here's hoping that the ownership goes out and tries to get a player or two that will help them get into the playoffs this year.

Pappy

I was a huge Pirate fan back in those years also. Then the strike happened and I said "F'em". I haven't spent a nickle on MLB since then which is a shame since my son missed out on he and I going out and enjoying a game like I did with my Dad.

Instead we went to Single A games that were played 10 minutes from where we live. The tickets were cheap, the beer was cold and the players would sign autographs and talk to kids for as long as you wanted. We often sat next to scouts who had some great stories to tell and we could ask them about players. We didn't see the best baseball but it was enjoyable none the less.

JTP53609
07-18-2011, 06:14 PM
its not that the pirates and alot of small market teams dont want to sign players its just that they CAN'T. How often do you see oakland, k.c, and other small market teams sign big time players to 100 million dollar contracts, the twins did with mauer but they had no choice, the brewers will lose fielder just as the a's lost giambi 10 years ago. We cannot compete with the big time markets, its not the pirates fault.
we signed the likes of brian giles and jason kendalls to big time deals, we did with jason bay too, we tried, but we cant sign the likes of alex rodriguezes...

feltdizz
07-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Giles, Kendall and Bay weren't guys you build teams around. These guys are role players. McCutchen is the guy you build your team around.

JTP53609
07-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Giles, Kendall and Bay weren't guys you build teams around. These guys are role players. McCutchen is the guy you build your team around.

your missing my point, what I was trying to say was everyone seems to say we dont want to sign our players and we just trade them when they turn into all stars, my point is we do not do that and I was bringing up us signing the likes of our past superstar players such as giles, kendall, bay and many others. It is not the fault of the Pirates that players like mark texiera sign 130 million dollar contracts with big market teams, the pirates cant afford a 130 million dollar contract.
I think everyone in Pittsburgh understands that McCutchen is a building block for the Pirates and the Pirates will keep him, I dont know why you bring him up.

hawaiiansteel
07-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Originally Published: July 19, 2011

Pirates suddenly relevant in NL Central

After 18 straight sub.-500 seasons, surging Bucs showing signs they're for real in '11

By Jerry Crasnick
ESPN.com

Joel Hanrahan was 12 years old in the summer of 1993 and laying waste to his Iowa Little League when the Pittsburgh Pirates began their dispiriting run of 18 straight sub.-500 seasons. The last time Pittsburgh fielded a winning team, Cal Ripken Jr. was in dogged pursuit of Lou Gehrig, the "tainted supplement" excuse had yet to be invented and Pirates outfielder Al Martin's media guide biography described him as a monogamous guy with a USC football pedigree.

As Boston's 2004 Idiots can attest, a lack of personal culpability doesn't grant players a reprieve from emotional baggage. Johnny Damon and Curt Schilling had nothing to do with Mike Torrez's gopher-itis or Bill Buckner's grounder-fielding acumen, but they still had to come to the park each day and answer questions about the "Curse of the Bambino." Like a high cholesterol rate or male pattern baldness, organizational futility is passed along from one generation to the next.

Through the years, Jason Kendall, Brian Giles, Jason Bay and numerous others have arrived in Pittsburgh with boundless optimism only to fall victim to what Jason Schmidt termed the dreaded "Bucco malaise." And now the burden has been passed along to Andrew McCutchen and the other members of this year's squad.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0719/mlb_u_hanrahanj_300.jpg

Pirates closer Joel Hanrahan has converted 27 of 28 save opportunities so far this season.

At the All-Star Game in Phoenix last week, Hanrahan, Pittsburgh's closer, was asked whether references to the number "18" have grown tiresome. He responded with a playfully quizzical look.

"Our second baseman, Neil Walker, wears 18," Hanrahan said. "He's a heck of a player. Is that what you're talking about?"

It's often said that closers need short memories. In Pittsburgh's case, it's a teamwide recipe for salvation.

You've no doubt heard this by now, but the Pirates have joined the Cleveland Indians, Ryan Vogelsong, and Robinson Cano and his batting-practice-pitching dad as one of the feel-good stories of the year. With 50 victories, they are first in the National League Central and seven wins short of their total for the entire 2010 season. And with each late-inning comeback or new display of feistiness, they're giving Pittsburgh fans more reason to believe.

Attendance at PNC Park is up about 3,600 per game, and Pirates die-hards have poked their heads out of the ground, Punxsutawney Phil-like, in anticipation of six more weeks of winning baseball. Or nine.

"I think the real baseball fans have been sitting at home cussing out their TVs and cussing out the Pirates," Hanrahan said. "Now they don't feel embarrassed anymore. Before, they'd come to the games and they'd be rocking Steelers shirts and Penguins hats. Now you come to the games and it's all Pirates stuff. They've got McCutchen shirts and Neil Walker jerseys everywhere. They're buying into it, and they're really energizing us, as well. It's a lot more fun playing in front of 35,000 people than 15,000."

The road is about to get more difficult for the Pirates because the big-boy portion of the schedule is about to commence. After taking two of three games from Houston this weekend, the Pirates returned home Monday to begin a run of 12 straight games against the Reds, Cardinals, Phillies and Braves -- teams with a combined .558 winning percentage.

A lot of people think the Pirates are a mirage, but they've been a resilient bunch to this point. They're hanging around in the NL Central race despite an offense that ranks near the bottom of the league in almost every major category. Catchers Chris Snyder and Ryan Doumit, who account for about a quarter of Pittsburgh's $45 million payroll, have fewer than 200 at-bats combined because of injuries. Amid the roster flux, the Pirates have given infielder Brandon Wood and catcher Michael McKenry an opportunity to revive their careers and have gotten some mileage from Alex Presley, Chase D'Arnaud and Josh Harrison off the farm.

The Pirates are your basic "pitching, defense and timely hitting" production. They rank 10th in the majors in Baseball Prospectus' team defensive efficiency listings -- up from 30th last year -- and they've been more sure-handed after committing an MLB-high 127 errors in 2010. The improved glovework is vital given that Pittsburgh's staff ranks 29th in the majors in strikeouts, and the starters are a bunch of pitch-to-contact guys.

While the fans feed off the players' enthusiasm, the players keep feeding off first-year manager Clint Hurdle, whose booming voice and inspirational sayings have set a perpetually upbeat tone in the clubhouse. Hurdle is a marked departure from predecessor John Russell, who was so unassuming and serene that he made former A's manager Bob Geren look like "Charisma Bob."

"He keeps us positive, and he's the same person every single day regardless of how he feels," McCutchen said. "It's hard to be upbeat and encouraging to someone else even when you might feel discouraged, but that's what he's done for us."

The Pittsburgh staff also has responded wonderfully to new pitching coach Ray Searage and his nurturing approach. Starters Paul Maholm, Kevin Correia, Charlie Morton, James McDonald and Jeff Karstens make about $12 million combined, and they rank fifth in the NL in ERA at 3.58. Karstens was downright Mark Buehrle-like with an 83-pitch complete game against Houston this weekend. So what's the second-half forecast for baseball in Pittsburgh? The questions below could help determine the answer:

General manager Neal Huntington has made it clear he's open to dealing at the trade deadline, but any moves must be assessed in a long-term context. He's not going to do something just to pacify the masses, nor will he undermine the game plan for a short-term fix.

"In theory, adding to this club is a no-brainer, but the practical application is a little more challenging because of the big picture," Huntington said. "We don't want to mortgage the future to make a desperate run in 2011. We have to be smart and make logical, rational decisions. That's boring, and fans don't like that, and I understand that. But for us to be successful, we have to remove as much emotion from the process as we can."

Realistically, the in-house options might make more sense than anything Huntington can add on the trade market. The Pirates have checked out Hunter Pence, Ryan Ludwick, Josh Willingham, Conor Jackson and the other available bats. But in the end, they might just stick with what they have. Steve Pearce hit three homers in his first 18 at-bats with Triple-A Indianapolis in his return from a calf strain, and Doumit is about to begin a rehab assignment from an ankle injury. As an added bonus, Matt Diaz is hitting .308 since the start of June.

Pittsburgh's five starters all have a chance to surpass their 2010 workloads, but that's not a huge concern given that Maholm, Morton, Correia, McDonald and Karstens are all in the 26-30 age bracket. Ross Ohlendorf is working his way back from a shoulder injury, and if the Pirates need a short-term innings fix, they can always call up 2006 first-round pick Brad Lincoln, who has an 85-16 strikeout-walk ratio in Indianapolis, or Brian Burres. Unless Huntington has a secret plan to acquire Ubaldo Jimenez or James Shields, his internal options are as good as the back-end starters on the trade market.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0719/mlb_u_hurdlec_200.jpg

In his first season as the Pirates' manager, Clint Hurdle has brought a burst of energy to the team.

The Pittsburgh bullpen would get a shot in the arm -- figuratively speaking -- from a return by 2010 All-Star Evan Meek. Like Ohlendorf, he's rehabbing from a shoulder injury, and those are always difficult to assess.

McCutchen is a rising star at age 24, and now the Pirates need their other young hitters to keep developing. Jose Tabata widened his swing earlier this season in an effort to hit more home runs -- and developed some holes as a result. Then he pulled a quad muscle just as his bat was coming around. Walker has contributed some huge clutch hits, and he is starting to regain the mindset he showed in his rookie year, when he made every at-bat a grind.

The wild card in the equation is Pedro Alvarez, whose professional education is continuing in the International League. He just needs time and patience before he's ready to help carry the hopes of a city.

Huntington, who has taken his share of abuse in four years on the job, knows how Terry Ryan, Dan O'Dowd and some other general managers felt as they endured several losing seasons while waiting for their long-term plans to take root.

"I've said this from the get-go: We wish we could have snapped our fingers and gone from inheriting one of worst major league teams with one of the worst farm systems in baseball to becoming one of the best teams with the best farm systems," Huntington said. "But wishes and hopes don't turn organizations around. In reality, it takes five to seven years to get an organization on the right track."

A .500 season would do wonders for the morale in Pittsburgh, but Huntington, Hurdle and the players don't have the luxury of dwelling on that symbolic milestone. They can't afford to emulate the 2003 Kansas City Royals, who went 83-79 under manager Tony Pena, then backslid to afterthought status.

"We don't want to take one shot and fail, then have to circle the wagons and regroup and take another shot in five or 10 years," Huntington said. "I have a ton of respect for the fan who just wants us to win 82 games and break the streak. If we can check off that box, great. But our goal is a consistent, championship-caliber major league team and organization. Winning 82 games may be an end result of that. But it's not our goal."

If the 2011 season has done anything, it has awakened the Pirates to the possibilities. They have a beautiful ballpark, fannies in the seats, pitching prospects Jameson Taillon and Stetson Allie in the pipeline, and a plan that appears to be coming to fruition.

"There was always a what-if at the ballpark," McCutchen said. "Every time we stepped out there, we would think, 'How crazy would it be here if this or that happened?' We always believed it could happen, and now we've come too far for it to stay the same."

After 18 fallow seasons, change is in the air in Pittsburgh. The Pirates, believe it or not, are relevant again. It was almost worth the wait.

Jerry Crasnick is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/67815 ... signs-real (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6781592/surging-pittsburgh-pirates-showing-signs-real)

feltdizz
07-20-2011, 08:52 AM

your missing my point, what I was trying to say was everyone seems to say we dont want to sign our players and we just trade them when they turn into all stars, my point is we do not do that and I was bringing up us signing the likes of our past superstar players such as giles, kendall, bay and many others. It is not the fault of the Pirates that players like mark texiera sign 130 million dollar contracts with big market teams, the pirates cant afford a 130 million dollar contract.
I think everyone in Pittsburgh understands that McCutchen is a building block for the Pirates and the Pirates will keep him, I dont know why you bring him up.

IMO those other guys weren't superstars....

flippy
07-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Better manager, better pitching coach, better farm club, and emerging team. It's been a long time coming. I've been feeling like this team was about to turn the corner every year for the past couple of years.

Glad we're finally above the competitive line.

It'll be interesting to see if we can get better by the trade deadline. And to me, better is continuing to build out the farm club to lay the foundation for continued success.

But I have to admit, in the back of my head, I keep thinking we'll trade away McCutchen for some minor leaguers.

feltdizz
07-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Better manager, better pitching coach, better farm club, and emerging team. It's been a long time coming. I've been feeling like this team was about to turn the corner every year for the past couple of years.

It'll be interesting to see if we can get better by the trade deadline. And to me, better is continuing to build out the farm club to lay the foundation for continued success.

But I have to admit, in the back of my head, I keep thinking we'll trade away McCutchen for some minor leaguers.

That would be the worst thing they ever did. I don't know how long they have him locked up but they better find a way to keep him. The stands are full and the city is back in their corner.

JTP53609
07-20-2011, 12:23 PM

That would be the worst thing they ever did. I don't know how long they have him locked up but they better find a way to keep him. The stands are full and the city is back in their corner.

we have the rights to McCutchen til 2014....so we can and will work on a contract with him soon...
The Pirates get bashed so much for "they trade their talent away", and they really do not, like I said about our best players in the past, we have kept them and towards the end of their contract we would trade them because we were not winning with them and we could get better for trading them, they will not trade mccutchen because he is the future....
and one more thing, Brian Giles put up some of the best numbers in a 4 year span that any Pirate EVER put up, he was a 300+, 35 HR+ 100+ player and played very good defense, he was a jag but his numbers were amazing..

flippy
07-20-2011, 12:50 PM
I know McCutchen is going nowhere. I just get this feeling that others will want him and may offer us some prime prospects that could be tough to say no to.

hawaiiansteel
07-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Updated: July 20, 2011

Frank Coonelly: Pirates will look to add

ESPN.com news services

The division-leading Pittsburgh Pirates will consider adding players before and after the trade deadline, team president Frank Coonelly told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The surprising Pirates, who lead the NL Central by a half-game over Milwaukee and 1 games over St. Louis entering Wednesday's games, also are enjoying improved results at the box office, as fans put off by nearly two decades of futility are returning in droves.

Coonelly said that success at the gate will help the Pirates pursue reinforcements as they chase their first winning season, division title and playoff berth since 1992.

This is the latest in a season the Pirates have led their division since 1992, when they won the NL East in a two-division league. This season also marks the first time since 1992 that Pittsburgh reached 50 wins in fewer than 100 games played. Last season, the Pirates won 57 games.

"Our fans have been energized by this team. The rebonding between the city and its team that (manager Clint Hurdle) talked about wanting to be a part of is happening," Coonelly told Olney. "Yes, the great response at the gate gives us greater capacity to add players as (general manager Neal Huntington) looks to make the team better at the (July 31 trade) deadline and into August."

ESPN MLB analyst John Kruk says the Milwaukee Brewers are the most complete team in the NL Central, but the Pittsburgh Pirates will be battling them for the division all the way to the end of the season.

For years, the Pirates have been midsummer sellers rather than buyers, usually trading away assets for prospects. Coonelly said this year, the demands of potential trade partners -- and not financial constraints -- will determine how the Pirates bolster their roster.

"When we are not successful in securing a player who we have targeted, it is likely to be because of the acquisition cost ask in terms of players and prospects rather than because of an inability or unwillingness to take on the financial commitment," he said.

Coonelly also said he expects Huntington will remain the Pirates' GM "for a long time. Nothing has changed on that front."

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. Information from ESPN Stats & Info was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/67864 ... ng-players (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6786450/frank-coonelly-says-pittsburgh-pirates-consider-adding-players)

flippy
07-20-2011, 10:14 PM
I'd like to see what prospects we could get for Maholm and Hanrahan. I see them both as cases of selling while their values are at their highest. I really don't see either as long term superior talent and I think we could plug in other current players and get just as good results.

Hanrahan's value should be at it's peak right now. He looks like one of the best closers in the game.

Then if we can get a couple top prospects for these guys, we can better afford to trade a prospect or 2 for a 1st baseman and/or outfielder who has a little pop in his bat.

Probably wouldn't be the most popular move, but what about trying to throw Hanrahan Tampa Bay's way for BJ Upton and maybe mix in another player or 2 into the trade?

Upton's been a major dissapointment in the majors, but I had the good fortune of watching the kid play loads of games in the minors and he tore it up in AAA and I still think there could be a talented player in there.

Of course I got to see him struggle at SS in the minors, he seems to be a good defensive outfielder and could cover some ground for us @ PNC, something Huntington said he'd like to have.

Upton's quick on the bases and could help us manufacture some runs. And maybe a move to the NL would help his bat.

Then I'd go after a first baseman with some power. Add in Alvarez and we just might be able to start producing some offense.

Of course some youngins would have to step up to replace Maholm and Hanrahan, but I don't see that as being a big challenge. Plus either of those guys isn't that far from reverting back to 2010 form.

JTP53609
07-20-2011, 10:41 PM
I'd like to see what prospects we could get for Maholm and Hanrahan. I see them both as cases of selling while their values are at their highest. I really don't see either as long term superior talent and I think we could plug in other current players and get just as good results.

Hanrahan's value should be at it's peak right now. He looks like one of the best closers in the game.

Then if we can get a couple top prospects for these guys, we can better afford to trade a prospect or 2 for a 1st baseman and/or outfielder who has a little pop in his bat.

Probably wouldn't be the most popular move, but what about trying to throw Hanrahan Tampa Bay's way for BJ Upton and maybe mix in another player or 2 into the trade?

Upton's been a major dissapointment in the majors, but I had the good fortune of watching the kid play loads of games in the minors and he tore it up in AAA and I still think there could be a talented player in there.

Of course I got to see him struggle at SS in the minors, he seems to be a good defensive outfielder and could cover some ground for us @ PNC, something Huntington said he'd like to have.

Upton's quick on the bases and could help us manufacture some runs. And maybe a move to the NL would help his bat.

Then I'd go after a first baseman with some power. Add in Alvarez and we just might be able to start producing some offense.

Of course some youngins would have to step up to replace Maholm and Hanrahan, but I don't see that as being a big challenge. Plus either of those guys isn't that far from reverting back to 2010 form.

not a bad idea, but upton is a punk and he has had some attitude problems in the past, I dont want to bring that here, I am up for Hanrahan offers though, in my opinion closers are a dime a dozen

feltdizz
07-21-2011, 08:51 AM
not a bad idea, but upton is a punk and he has had some attitude problems in the past, I dont want to bring that here, I am up for Hanrahan offers though, in my opinion closers are a dime a dozen

When you score 4 runs on 3 games and win the series you don't get rid of your closer. Especially when he's tied for 2nd in the MLB for saves.

Given how close our games are due to the lack of big bats I think a closer like Hanrahan needs to stay.

RuthlessBurgher
07-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Am I the only one, when he hears the name Hanrahan, who can't think of anything except for Paul Newman taunting the opposing goalie because his wife was a lesbian (who, by the way, turned out to be Ralphie's mother in "A Christmas Story")?

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2576/hanrahan.jpghttp://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/SlapShot.png

flippy
07-21-2011, 10:18 AM

When you score 4 runs on 3 games and win the series you don't get rid of your closer. Especially when he's tied for 2nd in the MLB for saves.

Given how close our games are due to the lack of big bats I think a closer like Hanrahan needs to stay.

I wouldn't give him away for nothing. But I'd still see what we could get for him. His WHIP is crazy good this year and we might be able to get more for him this year than he's worth.

I'd rather have a few more bats over a closer. And the drop off to another closer might not be that bad. We are playing pretty good defense to back up our pitching in general.

At the end of the day, I think manufacturing more runs is the most important thing we need to improve.