PDA

View Full Version : Harrison on Goodell makes ESPN.com ...WOW!

SidSmythe
07-13-2011, 09:01 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67648 ... -interview (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6764826/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-blasts-roger-goodell-magazine-interview)

James Harrison rips Roger Goodell
Associated Press
NEW YORK -- Heavily fined Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison calls NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil," among other insults, in a magazine article.

If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it. I hate him and will never respect him. "

-- James Harrison on Roger Goodell

The 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year hasn't been shy about ripping the league after he was docked $100,000 for illegal hits last season. In the August issue of Men's Journal, his rants against Goodell reach another level of wrath.

"If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison told the magazine. "I hate him and will never respect him."

His other descriptions of the commissioner include an anti-gay slur, "stupid," "puppet" and "dictator."

If the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"

Harrison also criticizes other NFL execs, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns"), Houston's Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind") -- and even teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Super Bowl loss. Harrison questions whether a black player is punished more for a hard hit on a white player than the opposite.

Beyond the insults, Harrison makes some serious points about what he believes are the league's misguided attempts to increase safety. He explains how non-guaranteed contracts make players more likely to hit high, because in the short term, a torn knee ligament is more costly than a concussion.

And Harrison suggests the real way to prevent head injuries is to shorten the season to 14 games, start offseason workouts later and trim the length of training camp so "we're not bangin' heads so much in August; that's where the brain trauma comes from."

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Ouch... James just doesn't give a f###!

SidSmythe
07-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Harrison is a TRUE PATRIOT!!!!

frankthetank1
07-13-2011, 09:37 AM
i dont have any problems with what he said about goodell but what he said about ben was wrong. he isnt peyton manning he just gets paid like him? really james? thats pretty damn stupid right there. why talk trash about ben? that makes no sense to me. why cant players keep their mouth's shut? is that so hard?

SidSmythe
07-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Harrison has some serious anger issues
I just hope he waits 'til after retirement to fix them :tt2

SteelBucks
07-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Expect a fine in 3....2....1....

BradshawsHairdresser
07-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Will never happen, but imagine Harrison analyzing NFL games for one of the networks. It would be all kinds of fun.

sentinel33
07-13-2011, 10:00 AM
That's just Jimmy being Jimmy.(Thanks for retireing Manny)

:roll:

couldnt agree more about rodney harrison and bruschi.

Oviedo
07-13-2011, 10:05 AM
That's just Jimmy being Jimmy.(Thanks for retireing Manny)

:roll:

That's Harrison being stupid and not doing himself, his teammates or his team any favors. It's like telling the IRS to screw themselves when they audit you. The system is designed for them to win and you to lose.

Keep tilting at those windmills James!!!!!

steelblood
07-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Stupidity. The longer Steeler players mock Goodell, the longer they will be under increased scrutiny. If you want to make an intellectual argument (and he makes a few here), I have no problem. Everything else is unnecessary and fit for tabloids and gossip pages. I liked it better when James refused to talk to the media at all. If he actually blames Ben and Rashard for the Super Bowl, he should NEVER air that in a national magazine. Keep that crap in house. That is what leaders do.

Oviedo
07-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Stupidity. The longer Steeler players mock Goodell, the longer they will be under increased scrutiny. If you want to make an intellectual argument (and he makes a few here), I have no problem. Everything else is unnecessary and fit for tabloids and gossip pages. I liked it better when James refused to talk to the media at all. If he actually blames Ben and Rashard for the Super Bowl, he should NEVER air that in a national magazine. Keep that crap in house. That is what leaders do.

:Agree :Agree :Agree

Harrison just needs to shut up and stay that way. Let me see now: 34 years old, creating issues with the league, criticizing your oewn teammates. James is making it easy within the next year or so to become expendable.

costanza2k1
07-13-2011, 10:55 AM
I didn't really think much of him on Goodell, but he SHREDDED Ben too...shouldn't that conversation be private?

Oviedo
07-13-2011, 11:03 AM
I didn't really think much of him on Goodell, but he SHREDDED Ben too...shouldn't that conversation be private?

Yes it should and that brings us back to the Harrison is a stupid idiot part of the discussion.

RussBII
07-13-2011, 11:07 AM
The picture with the guns isn't going to help much either...

I wonder what we could get for him tradewise? I love the dude and want him to stay but if we could get something badassed, i'd almost say do it...

JAR
07-13-2011, 11:18 AM
He also said in that article:

The more surprising and possibly lasting comments Harrison made were about Ben Roethlisberger’s performance in the Super Bowl last year.

“Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again,” Harrison said. “Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain’t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.”

James, what did you do in the SB to help win? One tackle??

JTP53609
07-13-2011, 12:04 PM
wow, I cant believe people are actually defending James Harrison on this topic (not so much in here though), he knocks just about everyone and then brings up the race card to top his ignorance. Here we go again with another off season that the Steelers are setting up for disaster because of individuals on the team. Always thought he was a dominant football player but kind of a crazy psycho but now I know he is a moron with no filter and he is going to end up worse than lawrence taylor when he retires. WOW, I have no respect for this guy and really could care less about him.
I love how he just totally throws Ben under the bus, but I do not really remember anything spectacular he did in the game either.

focosteeler
07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
http://www.mensjournal.com/jamesharrison

Steelers linebacker James Harrison has been labeled the scourge of football — a one-man concussion machine. But he says he plays the game the way it’s meant to be played, and he doesn’t care what anyone thinks — especially the commissioner.

by Paul Solotaroff

Up here in an end-of-time exurb called Troon, carved high into the bluffs above Scottsdale, Arizona, it’s all Charles Darwin and sun-split rocks, life forms baked to the core. Diamondbacks and scorpions slip through the gates of the copper-colored homes in these hills, while wild boar joust with gaunt coyotes over trash cans pushed to the curb. Even in May, the heat is a monster, pressing its breath on you in the haze.

It’s no more imposing, though, than the force that awaits me as I swing my Jeep onto the apron of a three-car driveway. He answers the door wearing only a towel and a glare that could scare away bats. “You’re early,” growls James Harrison, the black-hat linebacker of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the scourge of the National Football League’s vexed campaign to check concussive tackles. “You said noon. It’s five of,” he goes on, letting the scowl linger a beat.

It’s his signature expression, the one he shows reporters who dare ask him questions after practice and the one he turned on Roger Goodell when the commissioner of the league summoned Harrison to his office last fall to explain his knockout hits. Harrison’s attendance in New York was all but mandatory: He had hung up furiously on Goodell after calling him to challenge an enormous fine, one of several he got last year. The meeting went poorly, by all accounts, and Harrison ended the season the NFL’s most heavily fined player in a single season, with $100,000 in levies.

Harrison, who lives in a suburb north of Pittsburgh, has come to Arizona to heal and train after back surgery over the winter, and he is bored and antagonized by the desert. “There’s snakes out there. I grabbed a rattler by his tail and threw him over the fence last month.”

You grabbed a rattler bare-handed?

“Had to,” he says. “My son was here visiting, so that bitch had to bounce out. ASAP.”

Yes, of course, James Harrison grabs poisonous snakes and twirls them overhead with trumpets blaring. This is the man who seized Vince Young and dunked the Titans quarterback, all 230 pounds of him, headfirst into the turf like a cruller. This is the man who knocked two Cleveland Browns cold in the span of seven minutes last year and then baited Goodell with his postgame comments, saying he liked to “hurt” opponents. He amended that in the next breath, saying he tried to inflict pain without causing serious injury, but it sounded like lawyer-ese and was ignored.

He turns on his heel without further remark and disappears down the hall to get dressed. He’s remarkably short for a bull-rush linebacker, going 6 feet (barely) without socks and cleats, but marvelously carved for a man of 250, with delts and calves like bocce balls and thunderous, smooth-shaved quads. (The only hair on Harrison is the pointy beard he’s been trying to grow all spring. He’s kept his skull bald since his sophomore year of high school, when he approached his opponents before a game, doffed his helmet to show his new-mown pate, and told them they were going to die that day.)

He comes back in a Nike tee and black mesh shorts that cover his shins. It’s the getup he’ll sport for the next three days, wearing it to steakhouses, where men in Brioni stare at him in pique, and to jewel-box bistros, where ladies who lunch glower at him over lobster salad. Harrison makes just under $9 million a year and has closets full of handmade, brightly colored suits that he wears when the mood arises. But in lily-white Scottsdale, where he barely knows a soul, he couldn’t care less about the feelings of the local swells or their custom of donning socks to dine in public. My world, my terms, his outfit announces.

Which is another way of saying that Harrison — refreshingly — is the same guy off the field as on, working through an old and complicated grudge about being disrespected. Having to pay his way to college (and Kent State at that) after a brilliant but suspension-filled high school career; going undrafted as a pass-rush linebacker in ’02 despite setting a school record for sacks in a season; and getting cut four times, three by the Steelers, in favor of players with far less strength and speed: That is jet fuel to him and always has been, the reason you can’t get him to take a down off. Harrison, who played in agony last season with lower-back woes he didn’t report (he never missed a series, let alone a start), had a discectomy after Pittsburgh’s loss to the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV, then flew here in March, three weeks post-surgery, to push like a madman with fitness guru Ian Danney. Six days a week, he is up at first light to train in Danney’s sweatbox gym, running in hot sand pits and doing backward hurdles after giant leg-press sets. But he is back home by 10 am, and that leaves the rest of the day to text and tweet — and seethe over last season’s insults. The fines, the flags, his branding as a thug: They try his soul long after the fact, trailing him to this posh but desolate place, where even the air burns and crackles.

“My rep is James Harrison, mean son of a bitch who loves hitting the hell out of people,” he says. “But up until last year, there was no word of me being dirty — till Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”

To read more of Paul Solotaroff’s profile of the All-Pro linebacker, pick up the August issue of Men’s Journal, on newsstands this Friday. Here are a few choice quotes from the man himself.

On high and low hits:
“I get dinged about three times a year and don’t know where I am for a little minute. But unless I’m asleep, you’re not getting me out of the game, and most guys feel the same way. If a guy has a choice of hitting me high or low, hit me in the head and I’ll pay your fine. Just don’t hit me in the knee, ‘cause that’s life-threatening. How’m I going to feed my family if I can’t run?”

On the 2004 season:
“I should have another ring. We were the best team in football in 2004, but the Patriots, who we beat during the regular season, stole our signals and picked up 90 percent of our blitzes [in the AFC title game]. They got busted for it later, but, hey, they’re Goodell’s boys, so he slapped ‘em $500,000 and burned the tapes. Was he going to rescind their Super Bowls? Man, hell no!”

On the two interceptions thrown by Ben Roethlisberger in last year’s Super Bowl:
“Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain’t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.”

On Pittsburgh safety Troy Polamalu:
“He’s the one guy in football I respect absolutely, ‘cause he’s spiritual and lives it like he talks it. You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin’. He’s so polite and talks so softly that he could tell he could tell Goodell to kiss his ass, and Goodell would smile and say thank you.”

Slapstick
07-13-2011, 12:19 PM
On the 2004 season:
“I should have another ring. We were the best team in football in 2004, but the Patriots, who we beat during the regular season, stole our signals and picked up 90 percent of our blitzes [in the AFC title game]. They got busted for it later, but, hey, they’re Goodell’s boys, so he slapped ‘em $500,000 and burned the tapes. Was he going to rescind their Super Bowls? Man, hell no!”

Testify, James!

focosteeler
07-13-2011, 12:21 PM
i give him props for not being afraid to say what he wants but i think he is stupid for saying it now but whatever. i guess goodell is just lucky james isnt part of the negotiating team he has to meet with....he would light him on fire and toss a rattlesnake at him

Shoe
07-13-2011, 12:32 PM
wow, I cant believe people are actually defending James Harrison on this topic (not so much in here though), he knocks just about everyone and then brings up the race card to top his ignorance. Here we go again with another off season that the Steelers are setting up for disaster because of individuals on the team. Always thought he was a dominant football player but kind of a crazy psycho but now I know he is a moron with no filter and he is going to end up worse than lawrence taylor when he retires. WOW, I have no respect for this guy and really could care less about him.
I love how he just totally throws Ben under the bus, but I do not really remember anything spectacular he did in the game either.

Well, he does make some good points (albeit a bit extreme with how he says it). Goodell is a puppet, I don't blame him (Harrison) for disliking him, that kind of stuff... I do agree that skewering your QB is stupid. He's apparently forgetting us riding Ben in the playoff run up to the 5th SB. The drive against Baltimore going 90 yards to win the game, the AZ game, many many others. Ben's earned, if not "Peyton Manning" status... a level of distinction, to where his performances aren't ridiculed or micro-picked apart. It wasn't his best game to be sure. But he's earned the right for teammates to not publicly put him out there like that. I agree there.

aggiebones
07-13-2011, 12:43 PM
James takes no blame for anything. VERY punklike.

Pointing fingers at alot of people, particularly Ben. That was some harsh words about Ben. Pretty uncool.
I mean, he did bail out the defense in the last Super Bowl as I recall after they blew it late.

Its this kind of sheet that can cause heavy divisions on a team.
I expect to see Mr. Harrison vacuum out of town after this contract expires or maybe a bit earlier.

Steelgal
07-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Two Steelers in the news this week for the wrong reasons. Can we ever get through an off-season, granted this is an ususually long one, without any stupidity from the players? James can have any opinion he wants, but man keep it away from the reporters/media. He didn't exactly have a stellar game against the Pack either.

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 12:55 PM
I love it... and you guys should love it too... this is some Jack Lambert attitude.

Sure he ripped Ben and Mendenhall but who cares... Mend put his foot in his mouth so he should be fine and Ben won't be offended because he feels the same way. "I feel embarrassed by our production and depending on the D to bail us out all the time"

It's some Men's mag and I'm sure he was paid well to cut loose... it will pay for his fines. Can he be fined since we are in a lock out?

Until the other players show frustration with his words I'm not too concerned about it...
These are grown men, big boys... they will be fine.

insanesteelersfan
07-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Bye-Bye James. Cause your IGNORANT Punk-AZZ will never wear the Black & Gold again. No way will the Rooney's, nor should they put up with this obviously uneducated fool . I mean to toss out racial, and Gay slurs. Call Ben out for Interceptions that weren't all his fault...or did James forget WHO he had on the O-Line all last season. I mean Ben...NOT Harrison is more responsible for that Idiot having TWO rings on his finger then he was, or anyone else for that matter. No Ben is NOT perfect. But maybe James ought to look at some of Manning's past playoff performances before saying Ben is not Manning...cause Ben has a MUCH better QB rating then Payton has.

So James, I hoped you enjoyed your time in Da Burgh. Cause no way you ever come back here in a Steelers uniform. LB's like you son are a Dime " O " Dozen.

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 12:58 PM

Pointing fingers at alot of people, particularly Ben. That was some harsh words about Ben. Pretty uncool.
I mean, he did bail out the defense in the last Super Bowl as I recall after they blew it late.

I expect to see Mr. Harrison vacuum out of town after this contract expires or maybe a bit earlier.

or maybe the Steelers know James and are laughing at the interview....

James has a dark sense of humor... I wouldn't be surprised if he told these jokes in the locker room.

it's slow out here... at least James gave the media something to talk about!

Steelgal
07-13-2011, 01:03 PM

or maybe the Steelers know James and are laughing at the interview....

James has a dark sense of humor... I wouldn't be surprised if he told these jokes in the locker room.

it's slow out here... at least James gave the media something to talk about!

Maybe he was being a good teammate by taking the media coverage off of Ward :lol:

Iron Shiek
07-13-2011, 01:06 PM
I love it... and you guys should love it too... this is some Jack Lambert attitude.

Sure he ripped Ben and Mendenhall but who cares... Mend put his foot in his mouth so he should be fine and Ben won't be offended because he feels the same way. "I feel embarrassed by our production and depending on the D to bail us out all the time"

It's some Men's mag and I'm sure he was paid well to cut loose... it will pay for his fines. Can he be fined since we are in a lock out?

Until the other players show frustration with his words I'm not too concerned about it...

This article brought me out of my Planet steelers offseason hiatus!

And I totally agree with felt. Let him talk $hit, it makes him all the more intimidating. If you think him slamming ben and mendy like that is going to cause some kind of rift, I disagree with you. Airing it out in public? Who freakin cares, its a crappy magazine that is looking for soundbites. I guarantee there is an understanding in the locker room amongst these individuals. They are professionals and are fighting for the same end result. If anything, i think it brings them closer together, if it has any impact at all.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-13-2011, 01:07 PM
So James, I hoped you enjoyed your time in Da Burgh. Cause no way you ever come back here in a Steelers uniform. LB's like you son are a Dime " O " Dozen.

dime a dozen huh. maybe the dumbest thing i have ever seen on this board.

keep talking james. eff the haters.

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 01:08 PM

:Agree :Agree :Agree

Harrison just needs to shut up and stay that way. Let me see now: 34 years old, creating issues with the league, criticizing your oewn teammates. James is making it easy within the next year or so to become expendable.

Does Jimmy Hate care? Sounds like he is ready to retire once his contract is up.

Iron Shiek
07-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Bye-Bye James. Cause your IGNORANT Punk-AZZ will never wear the Black & Gold again. No way will the Rooney's, nor should they put up with this obviously uneducated fool . I mean to toss out racial, and Gay slurs. Call Ben out for Interceptions that weren't all his fault...or did James forget WHO he had on the O-Line all last season. I mean Ben...NOT Harrison is more responsible for that Idiot having TWO rings on his finger then he was, or anyone else for that matter. No Ben is NOT perfect. But maybe James ought to look at some of Manning's past playoff performances before saying Ben is not Manning...cause Ben has a MUCH better QB rating then Payton has.

You shouldn't have wrote that last sentence, much less had it go through your brain.

I wouldn't go to sleep tonight, not that it'll matter anyway. D-bo's comin' for you.

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2011, 01:12 PM
LB's like you son are a Dime " O " Dozen.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't care who you are...that's funny right there!

Iron Shiek
07-13-2011, 01:13 PM

You shouldn't have wrote that last sentence, much less had it go through your brain.

I wouldn't go to sleep tonight, not that it'll matter anyway. D-bo's comin' for you.

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 01:16 PM

dime a dozen huh. maybe the dumbest thing i have ever seen on this board.

keep talking james. eff the haters.

:Agree

The same fans who celebrated Lambert and Mean Joe Green are now screaming for our enforcer to shut up.

I don't applaud getting a DUI but I'm thankful we are getting our edge back...

We don't have cheerleaders but we had a WR win DWTS. :cry:

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Mendenhall on Twitter:

"I dont have a problem with what [Harrison] said because I know him," Mendenhall tweeted.

I suspect Ben will say the same thing...

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Mendenhall responds to James Harrison
July, 13, 2011 Jul 1312:39PM ET
By James Walker

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall has had his share of controversy this offseason. In May, he made some curious remarks on the death of Osama bin Laden and the events of 9/11, and today he finds himself in the middle of another media firestorm courtesy of teammate James Harrison.

But Mendenhall is taking the high road. Via Twitter, the running back says he's not taking issue with Harrison calling him a "fumble machine."

"I dont have a problem with what [Harrison] said because I know him," Mendenhall tweeted.

But Mendenhall was quick to point out a link on his Twitter account to his statistics from 2010. He only had two fumbles.

Mendenhall is correct in pointing this out. He's had ball-security issues early in his career but made major strides in that department last season.

But a huge, game-changing fumble in the second half of Super Bowl XLV seems to overshadow much of the good progress Mendenhall made -- even in the eyes of teammates.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/41569/mendenhall-responds-to-james-harrison

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Steelers release statement on Harrison
July, 13, 2011 Jul 1312:19PM ET
By James Walker

Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II issued a brief statement Wednesday afternoon following the controversial comments made by Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison.

"I have not yet seen the article in Men's Journal nor have I spoken to James Harrison about his comments. We will discuss the situation at the appropriate time, when permitted once the labor situation is resolved."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/41568/steelers-release-statement-on-harrison

insanesteelersfan
07-13-2011, 01:47 PM
What Ben and Mendy say is important as it goes to themselves. But what Harrison said as it goes to racial or Gay slurs is another thing. That cannot be tolerated at all. And it can't be brushed aside as in the Heat of the game cause this was said in a sit down Interview. What James did was wrong, and completely Ignorant. Yes James is a great player. But he to has had many Bad games. His Super Bowl game to was very average. We WIN as a TEAM....and we LOSE as a TEAM! James needs to learn this. And no, he is not Irreplaceable either. He can be substituted very easily. No ONE player is above the TEAM people. And the Rooney's know this....and SHOULD make an example of him.

Let him go to the Ratbirds for all I, or anyone with ANY commen sense cares. We don't need him.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
i think it's pretty significant that insanesteelersfan join date is 4/20.

smoke another one brah.

grotonsteel
07-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Steelers release statement on Harrison
July, 13, 2011 Jul 1312:19PM ET
By James Walker

Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II issued a brief statement Wednesday afternoon following the controversial comments made by Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison.

"I have not yet seen the article in Men's Journal nor have I spoken to James Harrison about his comments. We will discuss the situation at the appropriate time, when permitted once the labor situation is resolved."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/41568/steelers-release-statement-on-harrison

I think Harrison is in Rooney's doghouse. You don't call out your team mates in media especially when James Harrison himself was MIA in SB. He should have said those things in locker room. If Steelers FO think they have a replacement for Harrison on their rooster i think he will be either cut or traded.

Maybe more playing time for Jason Worilds or LT at OLB.

grotonsteel
07-13-2011, 02:07 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...84866/30604319

Forget BADdell; it's Big Ben who should be ticked

Posted on: July 13, 2011 12:07 pm
Clark Judge

So James Harrison blasts NFL commissioner Roger Goodell again, calling him "a crook" and "a puppet." Big deal. To quote Forrest Gump, stupid is as stupid does, and James Harrison has about as much insight into Roger Goodell and the business of the NFL as social historian Rashard Mendenhall does 9/11.

So he rips Goodell, and we shrug because ... well, because that's James Harrison being James Harrison, and I'll leave it at that.

Except he didn't stop at Roger Goodell. Nope, for some reason Harrison thought it wise to include teammate Ben Roethlisberger in the line of fire, criticizing him for his two interceptions in Super Bowl XLV -- one of which was returned for a touchdown. What he doesn't tell you, of course, is that Roethlisberger was crushed while he tried to make that throw, an indictment more of an overwhelmed offensive line than the quarterback.

But let's not let the facts get in the way.

"Hey," said Harrison in the latest issue of Men's Journal, "at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the 'D" to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that, and you know it, man. You just get paid like he does."

Yep, I'd say this guy has some serious anger management issues, and they go way, way beyond Roger Goodell and the league's fining of Harrison. In fact, it's not the Goodell comments that will make the biggest impact; it's the comments about Roethlisberger. Harrison can say what he wants about the commissioner because, hey, it's a free country and how much does he really have to do with Goodell in the first place? Blast away. New York City is a long way from western PA.

But taking it inside the locker room? That's a big no can-do. I'm not sure which is worse ... Harrison photographed in Men's Journal with two Smith and Wesson revolvers in his hands or his shredding of Roethlisberger. Both are bad ideas. But I just don't get ripping the star quarterback. I don't remember Big Ben saying anything about Harrison or the Pittsburgh "D" after he rallied the Steelers to a come-from-behind defeat of Baltimore in last year's playoffs, a win made possible by Roethlisberger's 58-yard third-down pass late in the game.

I don't remember Roethlisberger saying anything about Harrison and that vaunted Pittsburgh defense nearly squandered a 24-0 lead in last year's AFC championship contest, either. Seems to me that victory wasn't clinched until Roethlisberger made two critical first-down completions on the Steelers' last drive.

I don't even remember hearing from Roethlisberger after Harrison and Co. blew a 13-point fourth-quarter lead in Super Bowl XLIII, with Big Ben pulling his usual late-game magic to clinch the win. But let Roethlisberger throw a couple of interceptions in a Super Bowl where the Steelers' "D" allowed four scoring drives of 53 or more yards each -- including a 75-yarder late in the game -- and Harrison goes postal.

Sure, he should have been ticked ... but at himself and the Pittsburgh defense. Last time I checked, Harrison had one tackle -- a sack -- in a game where Rodgers threw for 304 yards and the Green Bay offense averaged 6 yards a snap. OK, so Roethlisberger wasn't himself, but he didn't lose the game for Pittsburgh. You want to blame someone on offense? Look no farther than Mendenhall. Just when the Steelers were pushing for a fourth-quarter lead he fumbles at the Green Bay 36.

As I said, don't let the facts get in the way.

Harrison's comments about Roethlisberger getting paid "like (Manning) does" sound like someone who is jealous, petty and bitter. Worse, they sound like someone who is divisive. Teammates are supposed to be guys you can trust, people who pull with you, not against you, but that's not how James Harrison comes off the Men's Journal interview. The man has a lot of explaining to do, and I'm not talking about to Roger Goodell. I'm talking about to Roethlisberger and his teammates, and a good ol' fashioned apology might be a good place to start.

Someone who is close to Harrison -- someone with the Steelers, his family, his friends, somebody -- needs to take this guy to one side and teach him the facts of life. And the facts are these: James Harrison is a helluva football player who should stick to what he does best, which is playing football, and leave the public speaking to someone else.

Please. For everyone's sake.

Iron Shiek
07-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Well there you go. Schefter tweeted that Hoge talked to Big Ben and claims Harrison already called Ben and said the writer twisted his words and Ben is in Harrison's corner.

Anything else you idiots that are hating care to say?

Oviedo
07-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Harrison is making a strong case for the scientific results indicated that cumulative head trauma causes severe brain damage.

Ghost
07-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Faneca makes an off hand comment about an unproven rookie Ben and that's not forgotten by lots of folks here for 8 years (probably never). Harrision rips our franchise QB, one of the top 5 in the league, and now it's no big deal. Very confusing....

insanesteelersfan
07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
I wonder how the public would react if it were BEN who gave the Interview, and called out James Harrison. And refered to him as a "N-Word Gangsta ???? Cause that is the EXACT same thing that James did when he used the " F " word in regards to Goodell...the EXACT same thing. And I guarantee you it wouldn't be tolerated by Ben. And this should not be tolerated in regards to James, or accepted by the League, and especially the Rooney's.

Bottom line....James has GOT to go.

Dee Dub
07-13-2011, 02:37 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh…Jack Lambert would have never thrown a teammate under the bus like Harrison did to Ben and Mendy. That is inexcusable. He has just shown that he is not a team player. Being an enforcer is one thing and being against your own teammates is another. How could one ever compare what Jack Lambert was to what James Harrison just said about his own teammates?? :roll:

insanesteelersfan
07-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh…Jack Lambert would have never thrown a teammate under the bus like Harrison did to Ben and Mendy. That is inexcusable. He has just shown that he is not a team player. Being an enforcer is one thing and being against your own teammates is another. How could one ever compare what Jack Lambert was to what James Harrison just said about his own teammates?? :roll:

Anyone who would EVER dare to compare Harrison to Lambert is as IDIOTIC as they come. Lambert right now would kick the ever living S_H_I_T out of Harrison. I guarantee you Jack probably called out some of his teammates,,,but I guarantee you it was always in private, in the Locker room. Outside of it, Jack was quiet, and unassuming. A constant professional. Harrison doesn't even know the meanning of that word Professional.

Ghost
07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
And someone needs to remind Mr. Harrison that this D was sure as sh!t no Steel Curtain. Rodgers threw for a hair over 300 yards and 3 TD's and treated the Steelers D as if they were a bunch of high schoolers. The only thing stopping the Pack's O was their own recievers dropping ball after ball. Could have been 400 yards and close to 50 points. James - STFU.

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 03:02 PM

Jack Lambert attitude... mean and didn't give a flying f###. You guys are really worked up over this. The magazine did exactly what it planned to do...

hawaiiansteel
07-13-2011, 03:06 PM
James Harrison on Roethlisberger: You aren’t Peyton Manning, you just get paid like him

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 13, 2011

We’ve heard Steelers linebacker James Harrison trash Roger Goodell before, so his words about the Commissioner in this month’s Men’s Journal weren’t exactly shocking. (Although adding urine and homophobia to the equation was a nice touch.)

The more surprising and possibly lasting comments Harrison made were about quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s performance in the Super Bowl last year.

“Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again,” Harrison said. “Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain’t that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does.”

Awesome. Roethlisberger could point out Harrison made very little impact for much of the game, finishing with one tackle. The Steelers just didn’t get consistent pressure on Aaron Rodgers until it was too late.

It’s at this point in the news cycle where Steelers coach Mike Tomlin would call Harrison and tell him to zip it for the sake of the team. Of course, Tomlin can’t talk to Harrison until the lockout ends. Heck, this interview may not have gotten past a Steelers P.R. staffer if there was no lockout in place.

At least the work stoppage was good for something.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -like-him/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/13/james-harrison-on-roethlisberger-you-arent-peyton-manning-you-just-get-paid-like-him/)

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Faneca makes an off hand comment about an unproven rookie Ben and that's not forgotten by lots of folks here for 8 years (probably never). Harrision rips our franchise QB, one of the top 5 in the league, and now it's no big deal. Very confusing....

probably because Ben was a rookie and our only option at QB... Faneca's timing was horrible.

I think the Faneca thing was over blown and so is this...

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
I wonder how the public would react if it were BEN who gave the Interview, and called out James Harrison. And refered to him as a "N-Word Gangsta ???? Cause that is the EXACT same thing that James did when he used the " F " word in regards to Goodell...the EXACT same thing. And I guarantee you it wouldn't be tolerated by Ben. And this should not be tolerated in regards to James, or accepted by the League, and especially the Rooney's.

What the hell are you talking about?

Calling someone a "Fa###t" is just calling them a "Fa###t"

No reason to pull out other racial slurs to prove a point. We all know the word "Fa###t" is a no no in 2011.

All of a sudden we are at a point where one slur gives EVERYONE a reason to pull out their victim card or talk about the Holocaust or Slavery....

:wft is happening in America...

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2011, 03:36 PM
First Harrison talks about not urinating on Goodell if he were on fire, and then calls him a gay slur. Perhaps he got his definitions of "flaming" confused. :wink:

I bet Goodell is glad that Harrison has no plans to urinate on him if he were on fire. As if being aflame wasn't bad enough already, but to be on fire and then splashed with someone else's urine at the same time...that would be just too much to handle. :lol:

Slapstick
07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
I love how some posters hop on their moral high horse and try to portray that they themselves are the sole arbiter of what is "Steelerlike" and what is not...

James Harrison will be a Steeler this fall and, most likely, until the end of his contract at least...

It is also funny to me how players from the 70s dynasty are often placed upon pedestals, as if they were incapable of any wrongdoing...

What everybody needs to realize is this: What James Harrison says to anybody is not a personal affront to you. Nor is it a reflection upon you as a Steelers fan. You don't know James Harrison. James Harrison doesn't know you. He couldn't pick you out of a lineup. And I would make an educated guess about how he feels about your opinion.

Opinions are fine. That's what a message board was created to express. But, we ALL know what opinions are like...

So please, express your opinions. I am interested. Your faux-wounded martyrdom and preachiness? Not so much.

Thank you.

focosteeler
07-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Well there you go. Schefter tweeted that Hoge talked to Big Ben and claims Harrison already called Ben and said the writer twisted his words and Ben is in Harrison's corner.

Anything else you idiots that are hating care to say?

I was wondering when I was reading this if the writer baited him in to saying some of this stuff. The article does make me laugh at times though....james harrison is a real man, if he wanted he could put out a fire by pissing on it and rattle snake thing was funny. 'That b*tch had to bounce out ASAP' :D

hawaiiansteel
07-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Art Rooney, Rashard Mendenhall respond to James Harrison

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 13, 2011

The Men’s Journal article heard around the football world (yes, that’s the first time that phrase has even been written), has already attracted a lot of responses from readers, the media, and even the NFL.

Now the Steelers are ready to chime in.

“I have not yet seen the article in Men’s Journal nor have I spoken to James Harrison about his comments. We will discuss the situation at the appropriate time, when permitted once the labor situation is resolved,” Steelers President Art Rooney II said in a statement.

Harrison’s words about Ben Roethlisberger, Rashard Mendenhall, and Roger Goodell will draw the ire of Rooney and friends in Pittsburgh. It’s possible the team could fine Harrison on their own, but the fact Harrison spoke during the lockout could make the issue tricky.

Mendenhall, who Harrison called a fumbling machine, also responded via Twitter.

“I dont have a problem with what@jharrison9292 said because I know him. But I want you guys 2 check this out,” Mendenhall wrote before linking to last year’s rushing statistics.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -harrison/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/13/art-rooney-rashard-mendenhall-respond-to-james-harrison/)

Oviedo
07-13-2011, 04:49 PM
I love how some posters hop on their moral high horse and try to portray that they themselves are the sole arbiter of what is "Steelerlike" and what is not...

James Harrison will be a Steeler this fall and, most likely, until the end of his contract at least...

It is also funny to me how players from the 70s dynasty are often placed upon pedestals, as if they were incapable of any wrongdoing...

What everybody needs to realize is this: What James Harrison says to anybody is not a personal affront to you. Nor is it a reflection upon you as a Steelers fan. You don't know James Harrison. James Harrison doesn't know you. He couldn't pick you out of a lineup. And I would make an educated guess about how he feels about your opinion.

Opinions are fine. That's what a message board was created to express. But, we ALL know what opinions are like...

So please, express your opinions. I am interested. Your faux-wounded martyrdom and preachiness? Not so much.

Thank you.

Harrison isn't on amessage board and he was talking about teammates and the commisioner who will decide when he and his team mates get fined. Harrison has the right to free speech but he doesn't necessarily given the money he gets paid by the Steelers have the right to stupid speech. With the riches he receives comes some responsibility. That is what Harrison doesn't get. He's playing the martyr with regards to Goodell like a teenage girl.

If you posted on the board that the Mods were fa**ots and you weren't going to piss on them, not sure that you would still be here.

hawaiiansteel
07-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Brian Cushing on James Harrison: “I’ll pray for him”

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 13, 2011

Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has decided not to fire back after learning that Steelers linebacker James Harrison ripped him in a recent interview.

Harrison said in the interview that Cushing, who was suspended for the first four games of 2010 for violating the league’s steroid policy, is “juiced out of his mind.”

When asked to respond, Cushing told FOX 26 in Houston, “I’ll pray for him.”

That’s apparently going to be Cushing’s standard response to questions about Harrison; it’s the same thing he said to the Houston Chronicle.

Harrison is far from the first person to criticize Cushing regarding his positive test for a substance that can be used to mask steroid use, but it’s not clear whether there’s anything in particular that put Cushing in Harrison’s crosshairs. Cushing has never played in a game against the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... y-for-him/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/13/brian-cushing-on-james-harrison-ill-pray-for-him/)

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I think Harrison called out Cushing because he won an award the same year he tested positive for a masking agent for roids. The NFL nitpicks over so much but rewards cheating...

I listened to a little sports radio in Pittsburgh and most fans have Harrison's back. They are fed up with the NFL and realize Harrison is the type to say what's on his mind in a blunt manner.

I think the article was hilarious and wasn't meant to be taken seriously. There are fans on here who want Steelers suspended for their first offense just because of the way Ben was treated.... so I'm not surprised by the phony outrage.

I do agree with Harrison when it comes to the Brees hit. We almost paralyzed VY and the fine for the Brees love tap was 20K. I think he wants comsitency and damn near everyone elsedoes as well.

hawaiiansteel
07-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Harrison rips Goodell, Big Ben, Mendenhall

July, 13, 2011
By James Walker

This just in: Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison ripped NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for the 100th time. This time, Harrison used his strongest language to date in an explosive interview with Men's Journal magazine.

James Harrison calls NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil" in a magazine article.

"Up until last year, there was no word of me being dirty -- till Roger Goodell, who's a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league," Harrison said. "If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it. I hate him and will never respect him."

Is Harrison asking for a suspension? Don't bet on his getting suspended.

The NFL certainly won't like these comments. But players have been outspoken about Goodell before -- particularly the Steelers -- and the league didn't hand out suspensions. Players lashing out is nothing new and, if anything, a fine is probably the stiffest penalty Harrison could face.

Harrison's biggest issue will be the fallout from his own locker room. The Pro Bowl linebacker has some disparaging remarks for starting Steelers quarterback Ben oethlisberger and tailback Rashard Mendenhall, who was described by Harrison as a "fumble machine." (Update: Harrison talked to Roethlisberger about the comments.)

When asked about Roethlisberger's two picks in the Super Bowl, Harrison was still upset about them.

"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again," Harrison said. "Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."

Roethlisberger took the blame immediately after the Super Bowl loss to the Green Bay Packers, saying Pittsburgh could have won if he had played better. Mendenhall also showed remorse for his game-changing fumble in the Super Bowl. But Harrison is the first teammate to publicly rip Roethlisberger and Mendenhall for their performances.

Harrison has never been described as a bad teammate. But these kinds of comments can potentially divide a locker room. It's worth noting that Harrison's criticisms were of players on Pittsburgh's offense. He spoke very highly of defensive teammate Troy Polamalu.

"He's the one guy in football I respect absolutely, 'cause he's spiritual and lives it like he talks it,'" Harrison said of the Pro Bowl safety. "You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin'. He's so polite and talks so softly that he could tell Goodell to kiss his [expletive], and Goodell would smile and say thank you."

It's evident that Harrison keeps it all-the-way real. There are no frills with him, and if you ask an honest question, you always get an honest answer. Sometimes too honest.

As a result, Pittsburgh now has a major in-house issue to deal with once the lockout ends.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is one of the NFL's best at managing egos, and he will be required to work his magic once again. Teams cannot have contact with players until a new collective bargaining agreement is reached. So this issue will linger for the Steelers until players report to training camp.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... ts-and-ben (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/29190/harrison-rips-goodell-patriots-and-ben)

insanesteelersfan
07-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Well, lets forget all this talk for right now. But one thing is DEFINITELY for sure now that was never even a consideration several months ago...the Steelers HAVE to be # 1 on HBO's list of teams for their " Hard Knocks " show :Clap :tt2 :Agree

sentinel33
07-13-2011, 07:18 PM
I'll say it again-

That's just Jimmy being Jimmy.

Yeah.Ok. Not executed with any sort of tact. but jimmy hasnt ever been known for his tact, now, has he.

Ben probably shrugged his shoulders and nodded his head. Mendenhall will show him the staistics and that will be that. Difficult to argue against hard numbers. And Jimmy doesnt waste time arguing anyway.

Instead, he'll get a stern talkin to by a Rooney or 2 and that will also be that. Him and Goodell should have a bury-the-hatchet session, without the hatchets and with moderators.(for rogers' sake, of course).

I think Ward's pending situation deserves more attention than this. I'm still dissapointed.

Shawn
07-13-2011, 07:21 PM
I have to agree with some other posters...this isn't wise. Not a single comment was productive. It only places a bigger target on the Steelers backs, and creates tension in the locker room. When he said that about the SB comment, anyone else think that Goodell will try extra hard to prevent that from happening?

Honestly, If I were the Rooneys...I would put Harrison on notice. He isn't bigger than the team. And I would rather not have him on the field than to have him running his mouth.

Discipline of Steel
07-13-2011, 07:39 PM
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/Albert5885/you.jpg

HEY ROGER!!!

insanesteelersfan
07-13-2011, 07:56 PM

HEY ROGER!!!

Looks like James Harrison's Mother to me :Boobs

Discipline of Steel
07-13-2011, 08:16 PM

HEY ROGER!!!

Looks like James Harrison's Mother to me :Boobs

I like to think of it as Silverback himself.....

WHERE IS THE GOODELL SUX ICON? :Hater :loser :moon :HeadBanger

Leper Friend
07-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Anyone here pretending that they are actually offended by the word "fag" has got to just stop.You're not some political correct talking head on ESPN.You're a random person on a message board. You don't have to act.

Nobody is that sensitive.

insanesteelersfan
07-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Anyone here pretending that they are actually offended by the word "fag" has got to just stop.You're not some political correct talking head on ESPN.You're a random person on a message board. You don't have to act.

Then I am assuming that you also feel no one here, or anywhere should be offended by someone usage of the " N " word,,,right ? Or is it that you are just plain Ignorant as James is ? :?:

Leper Friend
07-13-2011, 08:40 PM

Wow , just wow.

I'm sure you were in the mob of morons last year calling for Ben to be cut too. The best OLB in the NFL says something that YOU disagree with so you think he's going to be released ? Just wow.

Harrison doesn't represent you. He doesn't care about you.

Any grown man that still thinks these players represent some false standard setforth by the Rooneys is not too bright. You can't be. I can't even imagine the grown person who thinks that a player's actions somehow validate you as a fan.

Every single player on any team would move and play for anybody else if the price is right, it's all business. Playing for the Steelers doesn't make him special. It doesn't turn bad guys good. It's a temporary job.

He's a big ,dumb guy who says dumb things but he kills people on sundays. That's what the organization cares about,as well as they should.

Leper Friend
07-13-2011, 08:42 PM

Then I am assuming that you also feel no one here, or anywhere should be offended by someone usage of the " N " word,,,right ? Or is it that you are just plain Ignorant as James is ? :?:
You just called his mom a gorilla you freakin hypocrite simpleton.

SidSmythe
07-13-2011, 08:53 PM
What a bunch of panzies on this board.

He said how he feels. Bout time someone in this wussy country said what they mean instead of rolling their words into rhetoric. If Ben can't take the criticism, too bad. but i think he can.

Since when does saying negative things about a teammate automatically make ur lockerroom a disaster. I'm sure Ben is over it already.

Jimmy said what 99% of the NFL doesn't dare to say.

Leper Friend
07-13-2011, 08:55 PM

He said how he feels. Bout time someone in this wussy country said what they mean instead of rolling their words into rhetoric. If Ben can't take the criticism, too bad. but i think he can.

Since when does saying negative things about a teammate automatically make ur lockerroom a disaster. I'm sure Ben is over it already.

:Clap :Clap :Clap

focosteeler
07-13-2011, 09:02 PM

Its the same with most people today, they say these things behind closed doors but when someone else says it its not ok. Or they can say something about someone else but when someone says it about them its offensive. Sorry if I seem like an a$$ but the whole everything has to be politically correct cr@p is stupid

Discipline of Steel
07-13-2011, 09:23 PM
Those dancing to the politically correct tune have been Goodellified.

Football used to be a game, now its a political debate and James Harrison has fired another salvo on behalf of all those (including most fans) who wish to preserve its integrity. James Harrison is a HERO!

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 10:06 PM

The F word offends you.... but are you really one of those sensitive guys who has to throw out slurs to try to gain support?

you called James mom a gorilla yet try to act like you are this sensitive emo Steeler fan. If fag offends you tell people why but trying to compare it to a word that whites, Asians and blacks use daily due to hip hop culture is lame.

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Its the same with most people today, they say these things behind closed doors but when someone else says it its not ok. Or they can say something about someone else but when someone says it about them its offensive. Sorry if I seem like an a$$ but the whole everything has to be politically correct cr@p is stupid

I can't stand when people take an issue like this and act all offended like James smacked his baby momma....

Oops, he did do that and people weren't as offended as they are right now. He is a football player... I hate when people get all bent out of shape over a quote from a guy who hits people and inflicts pain.

Goodell has definitely changed the NFL fan...

JTP53609
07-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Wow, some people are so enamored by james harrison that they are still sticking up for him even after all this hateful, homophobic, racial, teammate bashing ignorant talk. Comparing him to Jack Lambert is absolutely ridiculous. Lambert was tough and more of a brut, follow my lead teammate while Harrison is more of a I bash my teammates through media outlets and gain attention by saying I will retire.
Guy is a jerk and will not be a success once he retires because he cannot handle life.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-13-2011, 10:57 PM
sad day.

never thought stiller nation had so many fairies.

keep talking #92.

(and keep hurting people too)

focosteeler
07-13-2011, 11:15 PM
just watched the nflnetwork segment about this....those of you pissed off WATCH IT.... they bring to light that a little while ago Ray Lewis sat on their set and talked about how they lost in the playoffs because of interceptions and fumbles. He sat their and practically said the same thing as James just in a less blunt way.

grotonsteel
07-13-2011, 11:54 PM
I don't see any difference between James Harrison and TO. If James was a player from Bungles or Ratbirds team, Steeler Nation would have said that their team is imploding. Calling out your team mates out in media is a cheap thing especially when you were MIA in SuperBowl.

Now does James Harrison has balls to call out DBs for being horrible during Super Bowl??

I am pretty sure Rooney and Tomlin will have a nice chat with James Harrison.

fordfixer
07-14-2011, 12:37 AM
James Harrison will offer no apologies
Zac Jackson

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/07/13/11/J ... eedID=3725 (http://www.foxsportsohio.com/07/13/11/James-Harrison-will-offer-no-apologies/landing.html?blockID=538546&feedID=3725)

July 13, 2011
AKRON, Ohio — The common reaction to the firestorm created by Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison’s controversial comments in a national magazine is that Harrison must officially be off his rocker.

I say things are back to normal — and that Harrison is just really, really eager to legally tackle somebody again.

The suddenly social-media savvy and friendly Harrison, who’s been interacting with fans during the NFL lockout, bears little resemblance to the one I’ve been watching for 16 years, the one who proudly carries a chip on his shoulder and loves a good fight. Winning those fights made him; the brazen, fearless attitude defines him.

Spouting off without a thought of repercussion or consequence? That’s James being James, at the only speed he knows.

What he said to Men’s Journal is certainly attention-grabbing and, in some cases, jaw-dropping. He called NFL commissioner Roger Goodell “stupid,” “crook,” “devil” and “dictator,” among other things. Harrison called out his own quarterback and starting running back. He posed for a photo while holding two guns, which these days is about as politically correct as the things he called Goodell.

In the article, Harrison talks about grabbing a rattlesnake with his bare hands and tossing it over a fence because his son was about to arrive and “that bitch needed to bounce out, ASAP.” Some players push oversized tires through sand in the offseason; at least one tosses rattlesnakes. It’s a crazy-man’s game.

Harrison just might be a genuinely crazy dude, and it’s clear he’s scared of nothing. He’s no stranger to a trip to the principal’s office, and there will come a time he’s going to have to answer to Goodell, and to Steelers president Art Rooney II, and to coach Mike Tomlin and probably to Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger.

Depending on league rules and interpretations, Harrison might have to write a check and issue a formal apology. He won’t mean it. He meant what he said the first time.

Conviction and persistence are staples of Harrison’s game and his climb. This is a guy who cracks his listed height of 6 feet only in full uniform and has generated a highlight-tape’s worth of plays cracking heads of players much bigger and more naturally gifted.

Not all those hits have been legal, and he’s paid for them. He even threatened retirement last year when the fines racked up, claiming he knows only one way to play the game. We knew he wasn’t going to walk away from the $25 million or so that remains on his contract, but it was clear he takes every blow — on and off the field — personally.

When the NFL passed new rules regarding headfirst tackles in the spring, Harrison wrote on Twitter: “I’m absolutely sure now after this last rule change that the people making the rules at the NFL are idiots.”

He’ll tell you how he really feels — Men’s Journal wasn’t his first vehicle and won’t be the last. While calling the commissioner names might not be the best long-term business move and criticizing his quarterback seems iffy as well, the Steelers locker room has been able to forgive in the past. And it’s a team that’s thrived off a little controversy and always operates with a little edge. Harrison fits in well.

No NFL team wants its players calling out teammates in the media, especially star quarterbacks. But every NFL team wants — make that needs — guys like Harrison on the field. For all the glitz and glamor associated with the NFL and its TV and PR machine, games and seasons still swing on a few plays, plays made by the strongest and fastest and meanest. Guys who want it more.

Harrison was chosen NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2008, long after the Steelers released him three times, the Baltimore Ravens cut him once and he served a stint in NFL Europe.

He paid his own way at the start of his college career at Kent State after he took more blame than he deserved for an incident involving a BB gun in a high school locker room, and he went undrafted because teams hesitate to draft guys who are 2 inches too short and have a couple of red flags on their file.

He was strictly a special-teamer in his early days with the Steelers, doing the thankless jobs reserved for backup linebackers — jobs done best by guys who might have a screw or two loose in the first place. For a flat-out fighter, there’s a bit of irony in that his first chance at extended play came after Joey Porter got ejected for a pregame fight.

What happened is Porter became expendable, and Harrison got better, and pretty soon the Steelers had not only an improbable new star but a guy whose demeanor, toughness and relentlessness fit their identity and pushed their defense to new levels.

Harrison is a little bit nuts, and it’s neither an act nor a ploy. Unlike many NFL players, he’s never craved publicity or strived to be controversial — or even marketable. He’d be a viable endorser for the next Mortal Kombat video game or a kind of bizarre anti-bullying campaign that advocates hitting back. It’s the only way he’s ever known.

Before high school games, he would routinely — and casually — stroll the opponent’s stretching lines, daring anyone to challenge his trespass, both then and at any time during the four quarters that followed. In the final minute of his last college game, he tossed a much bigger Miami (Ohio) offensive tackle out of his path with relative ease and twice sacked Roethlisberger to preserve a Kent State victory.

He wasn’t permitted to play in his last high school game because he was ejected the week before for making obscene gestures at the opposing sideline. He was brutalizing people, and their response was to call him names. He lost his cool, but he never quit punishing people between the whistles. The youngest of 14 children, he came by his fighter’s mentality naturally.

During the Browns-Steelers game in December 2009, the Browns’ first win in the series in more than six years, a fight broke out during a watch party at a VFW Hall in Akron. Beer bottles and punches flew. Arrested on different assault charges were Harrison’s 62-year-old mother and 39-year-old sister.

You expected that rattlesnake to fight him back?

It’s a shame Harrison’s headline-grabbing comments in Men's Journal overshadow his real football thoughts: viable ones on how non-guaranteed contracts make players more likely to hit high because, in the short term, a torn knee ligament is more costly than a concussion. He also said long seasons and early starts contribute to the brain trauma the NFL is now determined to fix.

A guy who’s made his living on collisions would certainly know. And though he doesn’t run from his tough-guy image, he’s been very generous both in Pittsburgh and his hometown, Akron, with charities and unpublicized gestures to help kids.

He’s not a monster — well, at least not fully. He’s a little bit different, more than a little opinionated and, frankly, he’s earned the right with his play on the field to speak out. He maybe could have picked a more delicate way to go out about starting these latest battles, and he might eventually have to apologize.

But he won’t ever apologize for being James Harrison. And here’s a bet that most of Steeler Nation is just fine with that.

hawaiiansteel
07-14-2011, 01:42 AM
Jerome Bettis “disappointed” in James Harrison

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 13, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/j-bettis.jpg?w=250

Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis has weighed in on Steelers linebacker James Harrison’s inflammatory magazine interview, saying that Harrison needs to be a better teammate.

Harrison told Men’s Journal that Ben Roethlisberger is no Peyton Manning, and that Rashard Mendenhall fumbles too much. Bettis says the last thing the Steelers need is for defensive players to call out the offense.

“It’s disappointing to hear some of the comments he made about his teammates because this is a team game,” Bettis said in comments aired on NFL Network. “It’s not an offense against defense type situation. It’s a team and you’ve got to go out there and compete as a team.”

Bettis, who played with Harrison from 2002 to 2005, says that he wishes Harrison would have talked to Roethlisberger and Mendenhall privately if he had something to say about them.

“If there are some issues and some uncomfortable feelings, I think that’s when you air it internally,” Bettis said. “I don’t think it’s something you bring it out in the setting, in the format that he did. So I was a little disappointed in that.”

For his part, Harrison claims Men’s Journal “twisted” what he said. We’ll be curious to hear Harrison put into context exactly what he meant when he made his comments about Roethlisberger and Mendenhall. And we’ll be interested to see whether Men’s Journal releases a recording of Harrison’s comments so we can all judge whether his words were twisted.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -harrison/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/13/jerome-bettis-disappointed-in-james-harrison/)

Shawn
07-14-2011, 02:41 AM

Sid, I want to understand your thinking. You believe because some fans think that Harrison should use some restraint when speaking that they are "panzies".

If you truly feel this way, then you are either alone and unemployed or someone who doesn't do the same. The fact is in a civilized society, there are proper ways to do things, and ways that just make you look ignorant. When your wife asks you if she looks fat in the dress she is wearing...do you say...yup you look like a cow? Do you tell your boss what you really think of him? How about the police officer that hid behind a road sign, pulls you over and hands you a 150 dollar ticket? Do you just tell him how it is? I highly doubt it. And if not, your words don't carry weight in this discussion.

The fact is there are times and places to air grievances. There are productive ways...then just ways meant to harm others and puff self up.

flippy
07-14-2011, 07:29 AM
I appreciate James raw emotions/reactions. Sounds like the writer got him to vent and printed it.

If James wasn't this guy, he might not be the football player that he is on the field.

Ben and Mendy have both said they're ok with what James said, so the teammate thing really isn't an issue. For all we know, James was trying to communicate that Ben doesn't have to take chances because the D has his back.

I see a childlike innocence in James that's refreshing. Most of us can't be honest like this. We build up these pretend walls to be civil and avoid risk, but it's mostly bs. We're mostly fake and phony. I admire folks that say what they feel without a filter.

Of course there can be repercussions and most of us fear them. Clearly James doesn't. That's a major part of his bad mofo charm. :)

BURGH86STEEL
07-14-2011, 08:07 AM
I believe Harrison communicates his feelings to his teammates on a regular basis when they are together. I believe his teammates understand Harrison's personality, attitude, and perspective. It's been known for some time that Harrison is a "mean dude" Right or wrong, it's been known that he speaks his mind. It's one example why some players should or should not be interviewed based on one's perspective.

Leper Friend
07-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Wow, some people are so enamored by james harrison that they are still sticking up for him even after all this hateful, homophobic, racial, teammate bashing ignorant talk. Comparing him to Jack Lambert is absolutely ridiculous. Lambert was tough and more of a brut, follow my lead teammate while Harrison is more of a I bash my teammates through media outlets and gain attention by saying I will retire.
Guy is a jerk and will not be a success once he retires because he cannot handle life.
Didn't Jack Lambert say QB's should wear dresses ? That is highly offensive to women and cross dressers everywhere.

You can't pick and choose. Lambert was politically incorrect as well. Just because YOU had no problem with things he said , it doesn't necessarily make it ok.

There is hardly a difference between the 2 on that level. I agree about calling out his teammates publicly , but oh well , they'll get over it.But don't differentiate the "hateful , homophobic" comments. It all depends on where each individual draws the line.

SteelBucks
07-14-2011, 08:34 AM

Sid, I want to understand your thinking. You believe because some fans think that Harrison should use some restraint when speaking that they are "panzies".

If you truly feel this way, then you are either alone and unemployed or someone who doesn't do the same. The fact is in a civilized society, there are proper ways to do things, and ways that just make you look ignorant. When your wife asks you if she looks fat in the dress she is wearing...do you say...yup you look like a cow? Do you tell your boss what you really think of him? How about the police officer that hid behind a road sign, pulls you over and hands you a 150 dollar ticket? Do you just tell him how it is? I highly doubt it. And if not, your words don't carry weight in this discussion.

The fact is there are times and places to air grievances. There are productive ways...then just ways meant to harm others and puff self up.

Maybe I'm a "panzy" but calling out teammates in public was a d*** move. The time and place for that is within the team, within the locker room...not to a reporter. And James we get it, you don't like Goodell, let's move on.

feltdizz
07-14-2011, 08:36 AM

won't be a success in life? :lol: :lol:

Just yesterday on The Fan a guy was talking about how James was going to participate in a fundraiser. He had a conflict in his schedule so instead of blowing them off he came down early and took photos and signed a bunch of items.

When fans sent money to pay for his fine he donated it to charity because he is well off.

James won't be a public speaker after he retires but you guys need to calm down. He gave an interview in a Men's magazine that fluffs stuff up for it's readers.

Geeeeeez :roll:

feltdizz
07-14-2011, 08:43 AM

and there are times to take a guy seriously and times to laugh it off because it's an interview for a Men's Mag that juices up the stories for their readers.

James isn't out smacking babies and kicking over wheelchairs.

In a civilized society? Gimme a break...

James is paid Millions to hit people hard... nothing civilized about it.

JTP53609
07-14-2011, 09:00 AM

won't be a success in life? :lol: :lol:

Just yesterday on The Fan a guy was talking about how James was going to participate in a fundraiser. He had a conflict in his schedule so instead of blowing them off he came down early and took photos and signed a bunch of items.

When fans sent money to pay for his fine he donated it to charity because he is well off.

James won't be a public speaker after he retires but you guys need to calm down. He gave an interview in a Men's magazine that fluffs stuff up for it's readers.

Geeeeeez :roll:

Notice how I said he wont be a success AFTER he retires, because when he has nothing to do with his time this guy will implode on something or someone, just as he did with his girlfriend or whoever that lady was a few years ago. The guy has some serious issues and it would actually surprise me if he does not get arrested numerous times for dumb things that he does, sure I have no idea of this to be true but odds are pretty good that this man cannot function in society with no football for him to play.
It is one thing to hate Roger Godell and say that you cannot respect him, but to actually go as far as Harrison has for the last 9 months topped off by yesterdays comments is ridiculous. To say that if he was on fire and his only way of living was to take a wiz on him and he would not do it shows that (A) James Harrison has been thinking too much of dumb scenerios and (B) the man has alot of hate in him that steeler fans think is cute and will run with the term Jimmy Hate...

Slapstick
07-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Harrison isn't on amessage board and he was talking about teammates and the commisioner who will decide when he and his team mates get fined. Harrison has the right to free speech but he doesn't necessarily given the money he gets paid by the Steelers have the right to stupid speech. With the riches he receives comes some responsibility. That is what Harrison doesn't get. He's playing the martyr with regards to Goodell like a teenage girl.

If you posted on the board that the Mods were fa**ots and you weren't going to piss on them, not sure that you would still be here.

If I thought that about the mods here, I wouldn't post it on the board. But, in an interview with some men's magazine, I would say whatever the hell I wanted.

"With the riches he receives comes some responsibility". I agree. James fulfills that responsibility by donating time and money to charity as previously stated by others on this thread.

If the Rooneys and the NFL didn't want James to say this stuff, they wouldn't have locked him out...

JTP53609
07-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Didn't Jack Lambert say QB's should wear dresses ? That is highly offensive to women and cross dressers everywhere.

You can't pick and choose. Lambert was politically incorrect as well. Just because YOU had no problem with things he said , it doesn't necessarily make it ok.

There is hardly a difference between the 2 on that level. I agree about calling out his teammates publicly , but oh well , they'll get over it.But don't differentiate the "hateful , homophobic" comments. It all depends on where each individual draws the line.

Yes he said they should wear dresses, what is the big deal, there was no such thing as woman tackle football then so that is partly why he said that. And, come on you cannot compare "qbs should wear dresses" to "if he was on fire and the only way he could live is if I urinated on him, and I would not do it".
Lambert did not bring up race, or homophobic quotes to the public like harrison did, and again he did not throw his teammates under the bus.

Slapstick
07-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Actually, "I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire," is a fairly common figure of speech...I doubt that James Harrison thinks about that scenario very much (although he might)...

It is more likely that he was thinking of a phrase to describe his feelings about Goodell and came up with that common phrase involving fire and urine...

JTP53609
07-14-2011, 09:07 AM

and there are times to take a guy seriously and times to laugh it off because it's an interview for a Men's Mag that juices up the stories for their readers.

James isn't out smacking babies and kicking over wheelchairs.

In a civilized society? Gimme a break...

James is paid Millions to hit people hard... nothing civilized about it.

yea but that class act james harrison was once a big tough man to throw around and beat his girlfriend.

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2011, 09:12 AM
James' game is built on intimidation. Early in his career, all he needed to do was stare at you with that snarl on his face and say nothing, and it would chill you to the bone. I swear I never heard the man speak prior to media day sessions before SBXLIII. He didn't have to. But once he became a superstar defensive player of the year type, it was inevitable that reporters would be throwing microphones in his face on a regular basis...it was unavoidable...he could no longer be the quiet intense bad@$$...he had to step it up if he wanted to continue to intimidate.

Comments like this make opponents think that he is unstable (the neverending wrath toward Goodell), unpredictable (calling out guys like Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, and Brian Cushing for no real reason), and perhaps just a bit insane (he even goes after his own teammates!). A parallel could be Mike Tyson, who was able to intimidate with stares and glares quietly early in his career, but later on, he was talking about eating opponents' children and getting tattoos on his face.

Notleadpoisoned
07-14-2011, 09:15 AM
James's Wiki page (if accurate) seems to indicate that he's been a problem child since his high school days.

"His high school football ability was great, but his lack of maturity at times was a struggle. Harrison did not pay attention to his grades or college entrance tests, and by his senior year he had become disruptive to his football team. Early in his senior year, Coventry staff had to suspend him for two games for challenging an assistant coach to a fight. After he returned from his suspension, in his next game, he began the game by carrying 3 times for nearly 100 yards and 2 touchdowns. After his second TD, he ran down the opposing team's sideline, and was ejected and later suspended for one game for making obscene gestures to the fans. Harrison was in court soon thereafter, after he shot a BB gun in the school locker room towards a defensive coach. He pled guilty to a minor charge and was able to return to school to finish his senior year. Due to his off-the-field issues, powerhouse football programs like Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Nebraska lost interest in him."

Leper Friend
07-14-2011, 09:21 AM

Yes he said they should wear dresses, what is the big deal, there was no such thing as woman tackle football then so that is partly why he said that. And, come on you cannot compare "qbs should wear dresses" to "if he was on fire and the only way he could live is if I urinated on him, and I would not do it".
Lambert did not bring up race, or homophobic quotes to the public like harrison did, and again he did not throw his teammates under the bus.
You're missing the point. YOU are validating what's wrong and what's not. What is offensive to some , is funny to others.

I'm sure many women had a problem with what Lambert said but because YOU didn't , that doesn't make it ok.

JTP53609
07-14-2011, 09:36 AM
[quote=JTP53609]Wow, some people are so enamored by james harrison that they are still sticking up for him even after all this hateful, homophobic, racial, teammate bashing ignorant talk. Comparing him to Jack Lambert is absolutely ridiculous. Lambert was tough and more of a brut, follow my lead teammate while Harrison is more of a I bash my teammates through media outlets and gain attention by saying I will retire.

You're missing the point. YOU are validating what's wrong and what's not. What is offensive to some , is funny to others.

I'm sure many women had a problem with what Lambert said but because YOU didn't , that doesn't make it ok.[/quote:11hyno4a]

ok, I see what your saying and I agree with you to a point, sure that could be and in todays day in age, it is a sexist comment about put a skirt on the qb, but james harrision makes jack lamberts comment look little compared to what he has said.

JTP53609
07-14-2011, 09:39 AM
ruthless, I cannot say it any better than what you say. Your comparison of harrison to tyson is spot on. I have been saying that harrison has too much hate to go along with the serious issues he has, and if he does not clean his act up it would not surprise me if he leads a mike tyson like life after he is done with football.

Oviedo
07-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Hines Ward is probably calling Harrison and thanking him since NO ONE is talking about Hines' DUI anymore which if true is far worse than words from Harrison.

Good discussion on ESPN this morning about whether the league has any disciplinary jurisdiction over any of the players who did things during the lockout. According to one of the guests that is an issue being addressed as part of the discussions because it would probably go to court if the NFL tries to impose punishment on offenses during the lockout.

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2011, 10:11 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0713/nfl_harrison_mj_600.jpg

James Harrison's words dull his point
Steelers LB's language in ripping Goodell overshadows his criticism of commissioner
By Ashley Fox
ESPN.com
Originally Published: July 13, 2011

James Harrison does not look tough. He does not look like the meanest player in the NFL, the hardest hitter or the most feared defender.

He looks like an idiot. And he looks very, very bad.

I'm not sure what is the most offensive part of the spread on Harrison in the August issue of Men's Journal, out on Friday. The picture with the guns? The anti-gay slur? The utter disrespect for NFL commissioner Roger Goodell? Or the calling out of two of his Pittsburgh Steelers teammates?

It is all bad, and it overshadows the fact that Harrison does have a valid criticism, shared by other players in the NFL, of how Goodell went about fining players for illegal hits last season. There are players like Harrison who think Goodell unfairly targeted African-American players and fined certain players more than others. There are players like Harrison who think Goodell issued harsher fines for illegal hits on white players than for hits on black players. And there are players like Harrison who think Goodell had it out for certain players.

Harrison is the perfect person to speak on this subject, because Goodell took $100,000 out of his pocket last season, fining Harrison more than any other player. But because of his inflammatory language, Harrison lost any opportunity to make his point about the fairness of Goodell's system or to try to persuade Goodell to change it. He ripped Goodell, which was not breaking news, but he did so by using an anti-gay slur to describe the commissioner.

Using an anti-gay slur is just as unacceptable as using a racial slur. You don't have to be in support of gay marriage, but you cannot be intolerant. Gay slurs are not slang. They are hurtful, and the use of them has to stop.

Harrison also called Goodell "stupid," a "puppet" and a "dictator," and said that, "If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it. I hate him and will never respect him."

Harrison can hate Goodell all he wants. He can think Goodell is out to get him, is unfair and is unjust, but he needs to show Goodell respect, just as he needs to show his head coach, Mike Tomlin, respect and his position coach respect and the person who makes his lunch in the Steelers' cafeteria respect.

Playing football under a six-year, $51.175 million contract does not mean Harrison isn't still an employee. He is. There are rules, and there are consequences for breaking those rules.

Harrison said that if the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, he was going to whisper in Goodell's ear during the trophy presentation: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?" Now that would have been classy, but Harrison did not get that opportunity. The Steelers did not win. Harrison did not take responsibility for losing the game, even though he had only one tackle the entire game, a sack of Aaron Rodgers where Rodgers essentially ran into him. He did not apologize for getting dominated most of the game by Packers tackle Chad Clifton.

Instead, Harrison ripped his quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, who did take responsibility for the loss after throwing two interceptions in the game.

"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again," Harrison said of Roethlisberger. "Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."

Harrison also called Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall a "fumble machine."

Rule No. 1 of being a good teammate is you do not publicly criticize a teammate -- ever. You keep that in house. Publicly throwing a teammate under the bus, particularly the quarterback, only serves to divide a locker room, and divided locker rooms do not produce championships.

Tomlin is a master at managing star players and their monster egos, and he will have his hands full with this one whenever the lockout ends. Harrison drew a line down the middle of the team, offense on one side, defense on the other. Tomlin will have to fix that.

The photo accompanying the article shows Harrison shirtless with his arms crossed holding two of his guns, reportedly an FN Five-Seven pistol and a Smith & Wesson 460V revolver. It is a ridiculous image for kids to see. Harrison is a professional football player and therefore, unfortunately, a role model for some children. In the picture he is promoting guns, as if he has never been to inner city Chicago or Detroit or Philadelphia and seen the devastation gun use causes.

Harrison is not some character in a video game or a movie. He is a name and a number and a man with influence and sway on young people. We don't need more young people on the streets with guns. We need less.

If he wants to own a gun, fine. That is his right. But don't pretend that a gun makes you tough. It does not. It makes you dangerous. There is a difference.

No one has ever questioned Harrison's toughness. But it is now fair to question whether he has a clue.

Ashley Fox covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6765621/nfl-james-harrison-reckless-words-dull-point

feltdizz
07-14-2011, 10:23 AM
James Harrison will end up in jail or broke with a tattoo on his face and make a few cameo's in movies...

all because of a Men's Magazine interview? :roll:

This is a pic/piece for a Men's Magazine.... yet we have reporters reproducing the image and repeating the slurs in more media outlets while bashing it.

Leper Friend
07-14-2011, 10:36 AM
James Harrison's words dull his point
Steelers LB's language in ripping Goodell overshadows his criticism of commissioner
By Ashley Fox
ESPN.com
Originally Published: July 13, 2011

I'm not sure what is the most offensive part of the spread on Harrison in the August issue of Men's Journal, out on Friday. The picture with the guns? The anti-gay slur? The utter disrespect for NFL commissioner Roger Goodell? Or the calling out of two of his Pittsburgh Steelers teammates?

Where is Ron Franklin when you need him ?

This is what NFL coverage has come down to.Oversensitive women nagging pro athletes and it's only going to get worse.

But then again , when I want to know how I should feel about football , I alwys check with Ashley Fox first. :roll:

feltdizz
07-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Using an anti-gay slur is just as unacceptable as using a racial slur. You don't have to be in support of gay marriage, but you cannot be intolerant. Gay slurs are not slang. They are hurtful, and the use of them has to stop.

Gay is not a race... there is a difference between a gay slur and a racial slur.

But since Goodell isn't gay..... what is this really about? James bashed Goodell... he didn't bash the gay community.

I can't stand PC America....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Per Ashley Fox:

The photo accompanying the article shows Harrison shirtless with his arms crossed holding two of his guns, reportedly an FN Five-Seven pistol and a Smith & Wesson 460V revolver. It is a ridiculous image for kids to see.

Yet ESPN.com puts a large copy of that picture - with a link to make it even larger - on this article. I would imagine that more kids go to ESPN.com than go to mensjournal.com. I will bet you that more kids will see this "ridiculous" picture on the ESPN website than the men's journal site.

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Per Ashley Fox:

The photo accompanying the article shows Harrison shirtless with his arms crossed holding two of his guns, reportedly an FN Five-Seven pistol and a Smith & Wesson 460V revolver. It is a ridiculous image for kids to see.

Yet ESPN.com puts a large copy of that picture - with a link to make it even larger - on this article. I would imagine that more kids go to ESPN.com than go to mensjournal.com. I will bet you that more kids will see this "ridiculous" picture on the ESPN website than the men's journal site.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RTyFa5FSqgc/Sm14OfpFNII/AAAAAAAAAAM/lIMbQy6b6_s/s400/Hitman+2+Movie.jpghttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0713/nfl_harrison_mj_300.jpg

The photo appears to be an homage to a videogame. On the field, Harrison is a "Hit" "Man". Get it?

feltdizz
07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Per Ashley Fox:

The outrage is phony, they want the publicity the Magazine article is getting.

BURGH86STEEL
07-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Per Ashley Fox:

Children watch tv, movies, cartoons, and play video games.

feltdizz
07-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Per Ashley Fox:

Children watch tv, movies, cartoons, and play video games.

and all those things have more violence than the article Harrison is being bashed for.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Ray Lewis predicted that if the lockout continued, the crime rate would go up.

What he should have predicted is that the longer the lockout continues, the more controversial remarks by players will be reported.

Jigawatts
07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
This is all just a misunderstanding. James Harrison has a dry sense of humor and those that
know him best are aware of it.

***Please note that I, much like James Harrison, have a dry sense of humor. :lol:

Ghost
07-14-2011, 01:45 PM
From CBS Soprts today: (if we believe the sources, Rooney is pi$$ed at all this BS):

"It's not good for us when a team like the Steelers have these issues," said one high-ranking team official, who asked not to be identified. "Right or wrong they're seen as one of the more wholesome teams in the NFL off the field. When that's not the case, it hurts our league."

Multiple NFL sources tell me Steelers owner Art Rooney II is waiting for more information on the arrest of Ward before rendering judgment. However, these same league sources say Rooney is infuriated with Harrison.

grotonsteel
07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... comments/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/07/writer-backs-james-harrison-despite-comments/1)

It may not have been unexpected for Steelers LB James Harrison to try to backoff the statements he made to Men's Journal about QB Ben Roethlisberger and RB Rashard Mendenhall.

According to ESPN, Harrison told Roethlisberger that his words were "twisted" bywriter Paul Solotaroff.But it is somewhat unexpected that Solotaroff is OK with that.

Solotaroff said on ESPN Radio this morning that Harrison was just trying to smooth things over in his locker room.

"We talked about 11 o'clock yesterday morning," Solotaroff said on Mike and Mike in the Morning. "Look, James is the guy who's got to live with Ben for the next three years. . . . So as I told James, 'Listen, whatever you've got to say to mend fences is perfectly fine with me.'"

Solotaroff claims he had even more from Harrison on Roethlisberger.

"I cut so much stuff from this piece," he said. "... That wasn't the only thing he said about Ben."

Solotaroff appears to agree with Harrison that the linebacker got a raw deal from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

"I was furious at the way James got done by Goodell last year," he said. "... Goodell seemed bent on singling James out."

Harrison is trying to back off from his comments now....i guess he needs to grow a pair.

Dee Dub
07-14-2011, 02:27 PM
...I think James Harrison crossed the line with his negative comments about Ben and Mendy. Say what you want about the commissioner but to go public in a negative way about your own teammates is way wrong. And I believe in my heart that is going to come back in a negative way for the Steelers at some point in time.

I am hoping that the Steelers are able to trade Harrison away. I would rather have someone else playing for the Steelers at OLB than to have someone who publically blasts his own teammates. Even if it means making that position less than it was before.

I am one Steeler fan who isn’t going to justify, sugar-coat, or make excuses for one of my favorites teams players if he is continuing to do things that hurt the team. But that’s just me. I am worried about James Harrison the retired football player. I get this feeling that he may struggle in his life after football. Ala Greg Lloyd. I hope and pray that I am wrong.

Here’s to hoping that Jason Worilds arrives sooner than later.

Oviedo
07-14-2011, 02:28 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/07/writer-backs-james-harrison-despite-comments/1

It may not have been unexpected for Steelers LB James Harrison to try to backoff the statements he made to Men's Journal about QB Ben Roethlisberger and RB Rashard Mendenhall.

According to ESPN, Harrison told Roethlisberger that his words were "twisted" bywriter Paul Solotaroff.But it is somewhat unexpected that Solotaroff is OK with that.

Solotaroff said on ESPN Radio this morning that Harrison was just trying to smooth things over in his locker room.

"We talked about 11 o'clock yesterday morning," Solotaroff said on Mike and Mike in the Morning. "Look, James is the guy who's got to live with Ben for the next three years. . . . So as I told James, 'Listen, whatever you've got to say to mend fences is perfectly fine with me.'"

Solotaroff claims he had even more from Harrison on Roethlisberger.

"I cut so much stuff from this piece," he said. "... That wasn't the only thing he said about Ben."

Solotaroff appears to agree with Harrison that the linebacker got a raw deal from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

"I was furious at the way James got done by Goodell last year," he said. "... Goodell seemed bent on singling James out."

Harrison is trying to back off from his comments now....i guess he needs to grow a pair.

I heard this too. Pretty accurate summary. The author apparently talked to Harrison at 1100am yesterday when this all mstarted to blow up.

IMO this is getting blown out of proportion. Mendy said it right. "He knows Harrison," which IMO is code for we all know the guy is a whack job but great football player so I don't put too much into this.

He also said that Harrison wasn't the only player to voice a similar opinion about Goodell to him and that the opinion of players across the league was that Harrison was singled out. But let's not forget Harrison made himself a target by running his mouth last year too.

As I said last year whn all this BS started, Goodell is doing this to head off a class action lawsuit that the NFL will inevitably have to face from former player who will blame everything from dementia to impotence on hits to the head. As much as I hate Goodell, he is doing his job to protect the NFL. The NFL from a liability perspective cannot afford to back off on these new rules so the players had better adjust even if it means violating the "unwritten code" not to go low for the knees.

feltdizz
07-14-2011, 03:10 PM
All this talk about Harrison after football is crazy...

I don't think this interview says anything about who Harrison really is... it's just a fluff piece for a magazine. I don't think he sits in the dark with 2 guns and whispers Goodell's name every night.

James is mad at the fines and he has every right to be... one year he is DPOTY and the next he is a villain.. he isn't a dirty player and he is held on damn near every play.

As far as the spin after the article... that's a joke too. I'm sure Mend and Ben know James and realize this article was sensationalized so it could get some good publicity.

ikestops85
07-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Look, I can't blame Harrison for blasting Goodell. He feels singled out and many feel it is justified for him to feel that way. The name calling is pretty childish but the guy is a football player ... he isn't getting paid for his intelligence.

What I can and do blame him for is (supposedly) attacking fellow steelers publicly. If he was quoted correctly he should be publicly flogged. Whether Ben and Mendy were responsible for the SB loss or not he needs to just STFU. These things need to be handled behind closed doors -- man to man.

I love James Harrison on the football field but I'm not a fan of his off the field. His knocking around his baby's mama sealed that deal. I'm still not sure how he came through that incident with barely a scratch. IMO the Rooney family looked bad with that fiasco.

ter1230_4
07-14-2011, 05:09 PM
What is amusing to me are all the pundits that think that Harrison's comments will cause some big rift in the Steelers locker room. Today, James Walker on ESPN picked the Ratbirds to win the AFC North this year using that so-called logic. I think the Steelers themselves know James Harrison well enough that it's just not going to be that big a deal. Harrison has always marched to the beat of a different drummer. My favorite example is the first game of the 2005 season against the Titans, where Harrison got called for holding on a punt return and Cowher was waiting for him on the sidelines with his jaw firmly set. Harrison said something and kept walking, then Cowher went over to Bettis and Duce Staley and said "You know what Silverback said? He said **** happens." And all three cracked up laughing. This is just Harrison being Harrison.

BURGH86STEEL
07-14-2011, 05:55 PM
What is amusing to me are all the pundits that think that Harrison's comments will cause some big rift in the Steelers locker room. Today, James Walker on ESPN picked the Ratbirds to win the AFC North this year using that so-called logic. I think the Steelers themselves know James Harrison well enough that it's just not going to be that big a deal. Harrison has always marched to the beat of a different drummer. My favorite example is the first game of the 2005 season against the Titans, where Harrison got called for holding on a punt return and Cowher was waiting for him on the sidelines with his jaw firmly set. Harrison said something and kept walking, then Cowher went over to Bettis and Duce Staley and said "You know what Silverback said? He said bad word happens." And all three cracked up laughing. This is just Harrison being Harrison.

I agree, I don't think this is such a big deal. If the Ravens are going to win the division, it will be because they will be the better team this season. Not because Harrison's comments hurt Ben, Mendenhall, and the team. I am certain that Ben and Mendenhall hear just as bad or worse criticisms then what Harrison stated. Surely, after what Ben's been through, this is a walk in the park. Players get just as bad criticism from ex players, the media, and fans. It's a misconception that players need to be buddy buddy to play with one another. For all we know, Harrison could say far worse to teammates he doesn't like just for saying hi.

One good thing is that this incident may stop Harrison from providing interviews. He may look at reporters as the devil. :lol:

hawaiiansteel
07-14-2011, 06:27 PM
hey, if Drew Rosenhaus says something then it must be true... :roll:

Brian Cushing’s agent says James Harrison should be disciplined by Steelers

Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/brian-cushing-fn.jpg?w=211

Agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Texans linebacker Brian Cushing along with somewhere between 10 and 1,000 other NFL players, doesn’t like the criticism that Steelers linebacker James Harrison leveled against Cushing in Harrison’s scorched-earth Men’s Journal interview.

And since those between-10-and-1,000 other clients don’t include Harrison, Rosenhaus can say so.

“I thought [Harrison's] comments were way out of line,” Rosenhaus told Joe Rose of WQAM in Miami. “He doesn’t know the first thing about Brian Cushing or Brian Cushing’s situation. And to me that’s an awful thing to do to talk about people that you don’t know, and that you don’t know the first thing about them or their situation. And I think that the league should discipline players who just run their mouth and insult other people and take shots at other people, really in a careless fashion and in a way that is uneducated.”

Rosenhaus believes that the Steelers should discipline Harrison for conduct detrimental to the team, even though the comments came during the lockout.

Rosenhaus also waxed philosophically on the issue of criticizing others in an open forum. “I don’t believe that anybody should go public and knock other people,” Rosenhaus said (as he want public to knock Harrison). “If you have something negative to say about people, then you should do it in person. You should do it privately, you should do it face-to-face, eye-to-eye. I’m not a fan of using the media to rip on other people. That’s not my philosophy.”

Moving forward, that quote could come in handy the next time Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco, DeSean Jackson, or any of Drew’s other clients decide to use the media to rip on other people. Especially if they get fined for conduct detrimental to the team and Rosenhaus is defending them against the punishment.

Meanwhile, the guy from Men’s Journal who did the interview of Harrison was on The Dan Patrick Show moments ago. Paul Solotaroff told Patrick that Harrison accused players other than Cushing than being on steroids, but that the other names didn’t make it into the article — apparently because Cushing is the only one of the group that has tested positive for performance-enhancing substances.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -steelers/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/14/brian-cushings-agent-says-james-harrison-should-be-disciplined-by-steelers/)

fordfixer
07-14-2011, 06:44 PM
http://www.mensjournal.com/jamesharrison/print/

BradshawsHairdresser
07-14-2011, 07:27 PM
I am hoping that the Steelers are able to trade Harrison away.

If they didn't trade Ben away after his offseason escapades, they aren't going to trade Harrison over a magazine interview (remember, Rooney was "furious" with Ben, too).

Now, if Deebo beats up his old lady again or gets caught with a pound of weed, that's another story.

hawaiiansteel
07-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Now, if Deebo beats up his old lady again or gets caught with a pound of weed, that's another story.

smoking weeds makes you apathetic, I highly doubt Deebo wakes and bakes...however, after this latest rant maybe he should consider it.

Discipline of Steel
07-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Mike Tomlin calls James Harrison the Consummate Professional who sets the example on how to study and prepare for each game.

hawaiiansteel
07-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Harrison's Latest Explosion Hits Too Close To Home

by Neal Coolong on Jul 13, 2011

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1580279/73056_Steelers_Harrison_Football.jpg

Don Wright - AP

When I hear things like "Roger Goodell is a crook," or "he's a puppet," or ""If that man was on fire and I had to piss to put him out, I wouldn't do it," I assume I'm just hearing SteelerBro right after a fine had been levied.

Never did I think that even the fiesty, angry James Harrison would say those things on the record, which he did to Men's Journal in a teaser to a full interview, which will be in their August edition.

Perhaps we let out a chuckle when we read it. Maybe even a guffaw. But Harrison doesn't stop with Der Kommissar, either. Among those targeted in his seemingly unprovoked assault interview are Tedi Bruschi, Rodney Harrison and Brian Cushing.

Last, but not close to least, and the reason this does not bode well for Harrison, he spews venom at teammates Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall.

(UPDATE: SBNation's Joel Thorman reports that, per a Twitter post from an ESPN producer, Harrison was scheduled to appear on SportsCenter Wednesday evening, but has since backed out. Thorman also reported the Men's Journal interview was "done back in April or May.")

(UPDATE: Mendenhall responds via Twitter, "I dont have a problem with what [Harrison] said because I know him," also points to statistics showing only two fumbles during the regular season.)

(UPDATE: Art Rooney II: "I have not yet seen the article in Men's Journal, nor have I spoken to James Harrison about his comments. We will discuss the situation at the appropriate time, when permitted once the labor situation is resolved.")

Poll:

Were James Harrison's comments about Roethlisberger and Mendenhall out of line?

47%
Yes, what he said will divide the locker room.
663 votes

17%
No, he's saying what everyone is thinking, and he isn't paid to be a nice guy.
250 votes

34%
Maybe, maybe not, there's some truth, there's some exaggeration.
488 votes

1401 votes

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

hawaiiansteel
07-14-2011, 09:09 PM
James Harrison issues statement via his twitter account:

Breaking: Here is James Harrison's entire statement which offers an apology:

I’ll start by offering my apologies for some of the words that I said during the four days in May that Men’s Journal was invited to my house to discuss what the NFL has recently been portraying as their attempts at ‘player safety’ rules and regulations, and to cover my everyday workout routine.

I did make comments about my teammates when I was talking about the emotional Super Bowl loss, but the handful of words that were used and heavily publicized yesterday were pulled out of a long conversation and the context was lost. Obviously, I would never say that it was all Ben’s or Rashard’s fault that we lost the Super Bowl. That would be ridiculous. Both Ben and Rashard are great players and great teammates. Clearly the entire team bears responsibility for the loss, me included. It was a team effort and a team loss. My teammates know me well, and hopefully understand the things I said were not meant to accuse them of the loss. We all have discussed several things that went wrong in the Super Bowl since that day. What I do apologize for and take full responsibility for is for speaking in such a candid manner to someone outside the team.

I also need to make clear that the comment about Roger Goodell was not intended to be derogatory against gay people in any way. It was careless use of a slang word and I apologize to all who were offended by the remark. I am not a homophobic bigot, and I would never advocate intolerance of gay people.

As far as the photo that was shown on air yesterday, collecting guns is a hobby of mine, and I advocate the responsible use of firearms. I believe in the right to bear arms. I like to go to the shooting range. I like to hunt. I like to fish. I could just as easily have posed with my fishing poles but it obviously wouldn’t be an interesting picture for the magazine. I am not promoting gun violence by posing for that photo. There are also other photos in the magazine story that were not shown on air yesterday – including me with my sons, with my mom and as a kid.

Unfortunately, the above items and other comments have detracted from the original purpose of the story – a position I have been advocating for some time now. If player safety is the NFL’s main concern, as they say it is, they are not going about it in an effective manner. There’s nothing about extending the season or issuing exorbitant fines on defensive players that makes any shift toward the prevention of injury to players.

I believe that the league may have been feeling increasing pressure about injuries and concussions last year, and that they panicked and put rules in place that weren’t fully thought out. I’m not advocating more flags and fines, I’m just saying that the current rules are not completely fair, and I don’t believe in the way that the league is handling their position as overseer of the NFL and the well-being of its players.

As far as the character and reputation hits I may suffer as a result of my comments in the article, I’ll take those hits and more if it brings increased attention to the re-examination and installation of rules and regulations that would create a real impact on player safety.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/bo0uf9

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2011, 09:40 PM

Wow...that was a lot more than 140 characters. This Twitter post, like Brian Cushing, is juiced out of its mind. :wink:

DukieBoy
07-14-2011, 10:33 PM

Wow...that was a lot more than 140 characters. This Twitter post, like Brian Cushing, is juiced out of its mind. :wink:

THe same text was posted on his Facebook site.

insanesteelersfan
07-14-2011, 10:39 PM

I’ll start by offering my apologies for some of the words that I said during the four days in May that Men’s Journal was invited to my house to discuss what the NFL has recently been portraying as their attempts at ‘player safety’ rules and regulations, and to cover my everyday workout routine.

I did make comments about my teammates when I was talking about the emotional Super Bowl loss, but the handful of words that were used and heavily publicized yesterday were pulled out of a long conversation and the context was lost. Obviously, I would never say that it was all Ben’s or Rashard’s fault that we lost the Super Bowl. That would be ridiculous. Both Ben and Rashard are great players and great teammates. Clearly the entire team bears responsibility for the loss, me included. It was a team effort and a team loss. My teammates know me well, and hopefully understand the things I said were not meant to accuse them of the loss. We all have discussed several things that went wrong in the Super Bowl since that day. What I do apologize for and take full responsibility for is for speaking in such a candid manner to someone outside the team.

I also need to make clear that the comment about Roger Goodell was not intended to be derogatory against gay people in any way. It was careless use of a slang word and I apologize to all who were offended by the remark. I am not a homophobic bigot, and I would never advocate intolerance of gay people.

As far as the photo that was shown on air yesterday, collecting guns is a hobby of mine, and I advocate the responsible use of firearms. I believe in the right to bear arms. I like to go to the shooting range. I like to hunt. I like to fish. I could just as easily have posed with my fishing poles but it obviously wouldn’t be an interesting picture for the magazine. I am not promoting gun violence by posing for that photo. There are also other photos in the magazine story that were not shown on air yesterday – including me with my sons, with my mom and as a kid.

Unfortunately, the above items and other comments have detracted from the original purpose of the story – a position I have been advocating for some time now. If player safety is the NFL’s main concern, as they say it is, they are not going about it in an effective manner. There’s nothing about extending the season or issuing exorbitant fines on defensive players that makes any shift toward the prevention of injury to players.

I believe that the league may have been feeling increasing pressure about injuries and concussions last year, and that they panicked and put rules in place that weren’t fully thought out. I’m not advocating more flags and fines, I’m just saying that the current rules are not completely fair, and I don’t believe in the way that the league is handling their position as overseer of the NFL and the well-being of its players.

As far as the character and reputation hits I may suffer as a result of my comments in the article, I’ll take those hits and more if it brings increased attention to the re-examination and installation of rules and regulations that would create a real impact on player safety.

BS!-BS!,,,,and even more BS!!

Hell Harrison didn't write that. He doesn't have the education to write, or talk like that. That's why it was entered via Twitter. Harrison is a hypocrite, and a coward. He doesn't even have the courage of his convictions. This was pure damage control forced on to him by his agent and his PR people. He had the chance to get in front of the mic days ago, and he didn't. That's because he felt then he didn't say anything wrong. James Harrison doesn't give two cents about Gays, and their struggles. He would say that " F " word again at anytime. BUt all this doesn't matter cause Ben will have the maturity to not drag this thing out as it goes to Harrison's stupid comments. And Goodell in the long run won't wanna upset the other league players who basically dislike him by suspending James so that likely won't happen. James will get a fine, probably in the 75 to 100 thousand range, and the Steelers will talk to him and tell him to STFU! And that will be that.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-14-2011, 10:47 PM

This was a bad one.....I understand that many homosexuals were very insulted by being grouped with Roger Goodell. :lol: :lol:

focosteeler
07-14-2011, 11:29 PM

BS!-BS!,,,,and even more BS!!

Hell Harrison didn't write that. He doesn't have the education to write, or talk like that. That's why it was entered via Twitter. Harrison is a hypocrite, and a coward. He doesn't even have the courage of his convictions. This was pure damage control forced on to him by his agent and his PR people. He had the chance to get in front of the mic days ago, and he didn't. That's because he felt then he didn't say anything wrong. James Harrison doesn't give two cents about Gays, and their struggles. He would say that " F " word again at anytime. BUt all this doesn't matter cause Ben will have the maturity to not drag this thing out as it goes to Harrison's stupid comments. And Goodell in the long run won't wanna upset the other league players who basically dislike him by suspending James so that likely won't happen. James will get a fine, probably in the 75 to 100 thousand range, and the Steelers will talk to him and tell him to STFU! And that will be that.

who are you? :wft

hawaiiansteel
07-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Updated: July 14, 2011

James Harrison issues apology

ESPN.com news services

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0713/nfl_g_harrison_203.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison apologized on Thursday for his remarks in an interview with Men's Journal.

"I'll start by offering my apologies for some of the words that I said during the four days in May that Men's Journal was invited to my house to discuss what the NFL has recently been portraying as their attempts at 'player safety' rules and regulations, and to cover my everyday workout routine," Harrison said in a statement released to Fox 31 in Denver.

He ripped teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Steelers' Super Bowl loss to the Green Bay Packers.

"I did make comments about my teammates when I was talking about the emotional Super Bowl loss, but the handful of words that were used and heavily publicized yesterday were pulled out of a long conversation and the context was lost," Harrison said. "Obviously, I would never say that it was all Ben's or Rashard's fault that we lost the Super Bowl. That would be ridiculous.

"We all have discussed several things that went wrong in the Super Bowl since that day. What I do apologize for and take full responsibility for is for speaking in such a candid manner to someone outside the team."

Harrison, the 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year hasn't been shy about ripping the league after he was docked $100,000 for illegal hits last season. He called NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook," a "devil," a "puppet" and a "dictator." He only apologized for using an anit-gay slur.

"I also need to make clear that the comment about Roger Goodell was not intended to be derogatory against gay people in any way," Harrison said. "It was careless use of a slang word and I apologize to all who were offended by the remark. I am not a homophobic bigot, and I would never advocate intolerance of gay people."

Harrison did not apologize for a photo depicting him with guns, saying collecting firearms is his hobby.

"I believe in the right to bear arms. I like to go to the shooting range. I like to hunt. I like to fish. I could just as easily have posed with my fishing poles but it obviously wouldn't be an interesting picture for the magazine," he said. "I am not promoting gun violence by posing for that photo. There are also other photos in the magazine story that were not shown on air yesterday -- including me with my sons, with my mom and as a kid."

Harrison said he had hoped to shed light on the NFL's hypocrisy in regards to player safety.

"If player safety is the NFL's main concern, as they say it is, they are not going about it in an effective manner," Harrison said. "There's nothing about extending the season or issuing exorbitant fines on defensive players that makes any shift toward the prevention of injury to players.

"I believe that the league may have been feeling increasing pressure about injuries and concussions last year, and that they panicked and put rules in place that weren't fully thought out. I'm not advocating more flags and fines, I'm just saying that the current rules are not completely fair, and I don't believe in the way that the league is handling their position as overseer of the NFL and the well-being of its players."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67709 ... al-remarks (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6770980/james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-apologizes-men-journal-remarks)

NJ-STEELER
07-15-2011, 03:17 AM
Doesn't seem as bad when u read the whole story in the magazine

Ghost
07-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Doesn't seem as bad when u read the whole story in the magazine

Why would I do that when I can grab a few blurbs out of context and be indignant about them.... :wink:

frankthetank1
07-15-2011, 07:54 AM
what a punk. he opens his mouth and lets loose and then apologizes for it. way to go james. i have even less respect for him now. big man throws his teammates under the bus for a bad game in the SB when he had one whole tackle in the entire game. you would think a vet would know better but the guy is obviously an idiot. the comment about ben not being peyton is tough, ouch. i cant recall a teammate saying something this bad. maybe kobe and shaq but thats it. i dont even get that comment really. id take ben over peyton without any hesitation. peyton is below .500 in the post season. i hope jason worlids progresses in a hurry

Leper Friend
07-15-2011, 08:28 AM
. James Harrison doesn't give two cents about Gays, and their struggles. He would say that " F " word again at anytime.
Yes . He's a horrible human being. He said fag. Let's cut him.

You,mr sensitive, are the same person who called a black women a gorilla.

Freakin retard.

feltdizz
07-15-2011, 08:35 AM
. James Harrison doesn't give two cents about Gays, and their struggles. He would say that " F " word again at anytime.
Yes . He's a horrible human being. He said fag. Let's cut him.

You,mr sensitive, are the same person who called a black women a gorilla.

Freakin retard.

oooh, you said retard. That's a no no.... :wink:

feltdizz
07-15-2011, 08:43 AM
what a punk. he opens his mouth and lets loose and then apologizes for it. way to go james. i have even less respect for him now. big man throws his teammates under the bus for a bad game in the SB when he had one whole tackle in the entire game. you would think a vet would know better but the guy is obviously an idiot. the comment about ben not being peyton is tough, ouch. i cant recall a teammate saying something this bad. maybe kobe and shaq but thats it. i dont even get that comment really. id take ben over peyton without any hesitation. peyton is below .500 in the post season. i hope jason worlids progresses in a hurry

For some reason I have a feeling James has said this to Ben in the locker room a few times already and they laugh about it.

Maybe I'm giving James too much credit but he seems to have a dark sense of humor.

Troy has bashed/criticized the O... Ben has criticized the O... I don't think James making jokes about the O is all that serious. You don't think James says these things on the sideline when the O is going 3 and out or spotting the Rats 21 points?

Getting a DUI is more serious IMO.

TallyStiller
07-15-2011, 11:04 AM
I think I'm going to vomit if I have to listen to one more of these idiot commentators tell me what a reprehensible human being James is... this just in: football isa violent sport played by angry men. When those men talk, they will often sound angry.

No crime was committed, no law broken, and there isn't even a suggestion that another person was victimized. So he doesn't like Roger Goodell? Who amongst the players right now does? And nobody else was turned into Roger's personal whipping boy and poster for "dirty play"... Deebo's got more of an axe to grind with The Rog than anybody else in the sport.

As to criticism of his teammates, not like it hasn't happened in Pittsburgh before - I seem to recall the Steelers winning a pair of Super Bowls in 1974 and '75 with significant defense vs. offense animosity running through the locker room. Happened other places, too. Anybody read "North Dallas Forty?" Remember the brawling Billy Martin/Reggie Jackson Yankees? Some teams come apart at the seams over the turmoil, others seem to thrive off of it. It appears we've got a collection of guys who thrive off of it.

In fact, I think this brings even more of an "us against the world" attitude to our locker room - dude did the interviews months ago, then waits till the slowest sports news day of the year to release the story? It was a hit piece, and it appears from comments I've seen that Ben agrees.

Channeled anger is what makes Deebo a great player, us against the world paranoia is what fuels our team, and there'll be plenty of both this season.

insanesteelersfan
07-15-2011, 11:16 AM
I think I'm going to vomit if I have to listen to one more of these idiot commentators tell me what a reprehensible human being James is... this just in: football isa violent sport played by angry men. When those men talk, they will often sound angry.

No crime was committed, no law broken, and there isn't even a suggestion that another person was victimized. So he doesn't like Roger Goodell? Who amongst the players right now does? And nobody else was turned into Roger's personal whipping boy and poster for "dirty play"... Deebo's got more of an axe to grind with The Rog than anybody else in the sport.

As to criticism of his teammates, not like it hasn't happened in Pittsburgh before - I seem to recall the Steelers winning a pair of Super Bowls in 1974 and '75 with significant defense vs. offense animosity running through the locker room. Happened other places, too. Anybody read "North Dallas Forty?" Remember the brawling Billy Martin/Reggie Jackson Yankees? Some teams come apart at the seams over the turmoil, others seem to thrive off of it. It appears we've got a collection of guys who thrive off of it.

In fact, I think this brings even more of an "us against the world" attitude to our locker room - dude did the interviews months ago, then waits till the slowest sports news day of the year to release the story? It was a hit piece, and it appears from comments I've seen that Ben agrees.

Channeled anger is what makes Deebo a great player, us against the world paranoia is what fuels our team, and there'll be plenty of both this season.

First off, what does football being a violent sport have ANYTHING to do with using the word " Faggot " to refer to someone ? Second, what does it have to do with making UNSUBSTANTIATED Racial rants about how the league protects white players over Black players ? I mean talk about Ignorance. As for James calling out Ben and Mendy, there is a CLEAR unwritten rule that you NEVER do this to a national writer or beat reporter. You wanna call some teammate out, you do it in private, and to the players face. Not like the little " PUNK " that James Harrison clearly is...and I say this being the biggest steelers fan here. :tt1

His apology was just a PR spin, and a statement that Harrison in no way wrote himself. And it was not believeable. So go ahead and defend him all you like. That is your right. I have no problem if Harrison returns to the Steelers. But I WILL have a problem if he does not get a worse punishment then Ben did. Cause Ben was punished for something he never did, or was even charged with...just so-called " Bad Press " Which Ben had no control over anyways. Bad press ?....well what the Hell would you call this with Harrison ?

James needs a 4 game with no pay suspension. Or the Rooney's have zero credibility.

kindlecatsb'ng
07-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Yesterday in the morning, I quit streaming 93.7 The Fan because it was truly ridiculous some of the things being said about this issue. This was after Ed Bruchette was on there talking about the comments made by James. He was at least a voice of reason.

First, James is an adult and entitled to his opinions of whatever. We still have 1st Amendments rights.

Second, caution always has to be foremost when talking with the media. They will use whatever is said to their advantage to make a great story, embellish a story, or keep it going for their greater good. This will be the greatest lesson for James and other players.

Third, Americans have a lot of issue with boundaries. In no way whatever a player truly feels and says is a reflection of a fan, a team, a city, whatever. In this case, James stated his opinion. Period. It did not come out of the mouth of the Rooney's or any other team member or the team's fans. IT IS HIS OPINION. James will recognize the consequences of his decision to say those things (or claim they were taken out of context).

Fourth, Americans have a lot of issue with political correctness. On one level, it is refreshing to have someone say what they mean without having to filter every single word. Some people have a potty mouth--even very educated individuals. I work with surgeons every day; and believe me, their egos and foul language are greater than some of these major league players.

In conclusion, this too will pass and I hope we get the #7 this year.

With flame suit on, have a great weekend,

Kindle :tt1

Eddie Spaghetti
07-15-2011, 12:06 PM
so it's up to a 4 game suspension now.

you're an idiot.

feltdizz
07-15-2011, 12:48 PM
First off, what does football being a violent sport have ANYTHING to do with using the word " Faggot " to refer to someone ?

James needs a 4 game with no pay suspension. Or the Rooney's have zero credibility.

ever been in a locker room? The word has been used in sports for ages but since it's 2011 it's no longer acceptable.

Growing up the word meant soft, punk, bum, etc... it wasn't used to bash a person's sexuality.

4 game suspension? Sounds like something a Ratbird fan would say.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-15-2011, 12:58 PM
His apology was just a PR spin, and a statement that Harrison in no way wrote himself. And it was not believeable.
How do you know Harrison didn't write that apology? Because you don't believe it? Or because you think big, black football players are illiterate? Fact is, you don't have a clue. People like you want to complain about what he said, and then you want to complain if he tries to take it back. Unbelievable.

The Rooneys may choose to have him fined, or to suspend him...or to do nothing. I'm pretty sure their "credibility" will still be intact, regardless of what you think.

grotonsteel
07-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Yesterday in the morning, I quit streaming 93.7 The Fan because it was truly ridiculous some of the things being said about this issue. This was after Ed Bruchette was on there talking about the comments made by James. He was at least a voice of reason.

First, James is an adult and entitled to his opinions of whatever. We still have 1st Amendments rights.

Second, caution always has to be foremost when talking with the media. They will use whatever is said to their advantage to make a great story, embellish a story, or keep it going for their greater good. This will be the greatest lesson for James and other players.

Third, Americans have a lot of issue with boundaries. In no way whatever a player truly feels and says is a reflection of a fan, a team, a city, whatever. In this case, James stated his opinion. Period. It did not come out of the mouth of the Rooney's or any other team member or the team's fans. IT IS HIS OPINION. James will recognize the consequences of his decision to say those things (or claim they were taken out of context).

Fourth, Americans have a lot of issue with political correctness. On one level, it is refreshing to have someone say what they mean without having to filter every single word. Some people have a potty mouth--even very educated individuals. I work with surgeons every day; and believe me, their egos and foul language are greater than some of these major league players.

In conclusion, this too will pass and I hope we get the #7 this year.

With flame suit on, have a great weekend,

Kindle :tt1

Fair Enough...

Is there any difference between James Harrison and TO?? I don't care what he said about BADall..Screw the commish.

But to call out your team mates is cheap especially when James himself did not do a thing in SB. Maybe he should be talking about how he sucked in SB and what he needs to do to improve the Steelers D against elite QB.

Packers D created 3 TO and what did Steelers D do??? Nothing.

Again people say James being James..then why is he apologizing?? Why is he trying to back out about things said to team mates???Maybe he needs to grow a pair and talk to the players eye to eye.

feltdizz
07-15-2011, 03:12 PM
James is apologizing because he said the worst thing you can say in 2011. "F#ggot"

If James didn't say that word I bet he wouldn't have wrote the apology. The Ben and Mendenhall apologies are fluff and I don't think Ben or Mend believes James is sorry.

These are grown men... I don't understand why fans keep talking about players like these men aren't used to being hazed, criticized, joked, etc. These guys get called out all the time...

TO has called out a few QB's... but the only one I think he crossed the line with was the QB in SF. He implied he was gay. That was wrong but I never had a problem with TO calling out McNabb or Romo. IMO it does look like Romo is all about Witten and McNabb is soft in the clutch.

James didn't lie with Ben... look at Ben's SB stats, he tends to throw INT's in SB's. He was wrong on Mendenhall but we always talk about his ball protection. His nickname early on was fumblehall. Maybe he coughs it up a ton in practice?

Anyways... at the end of the day these guys are grown men but we demand too much from them off the field. Most football players aren't known for their smarts and nice guy attitudes.

This gets a *shrug* but I applaud the smoke it has put on Hines' DUI case and made for an exciting week during the lockout.

feltdizz
07-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Regardless of Harrison's play in the SB I wouldn't want him playing against us....

I don't think Harrison was abused I think GB had a great game plan that nullified the rush.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-15-2011, 04:08 PM
We can post here all we want how Harrison wasn't wrong to say what he said about Ben and Mendenhall, but IMO that's just meaningless spin unless it can be explained how what he did is any better than the stuff we used to rake TO over the coals for for years.

"That would never happen on the Steelers ...", etc. etc. Well it did.

I'm very sad about this ... my son and I bought matching James Harrison jerseys before the Superbowl. It'll be a little bit unpleasant to talk about this when he comes back from camp.

BackwoodsSteeler
07-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah, lets cut the bum so another afc north team can pick him up and he can cut Ben in half this season.

For the love of God, what are some of you people thinking?

I would rather have him in my locker room making idiotic comments than on another team coming off the edge after Ben.

grotonsteel
07-15-2011, 04:19 PM
James is apologizing because he said the worst thing you can say in 2011. "F#ggot"

If James didn't say that word I bet he wouldn't have wrote the apology. The Ben and Mendenhall apologies are fluff and I don't think Ben or Mend believes James is sorry.

These are grown men... I don't understand why fans keep talking about players like these men aren't used to being hazed, criticized, joked, etc. These guys get called out all the time...

TO has called out a few QB's... but the only one I think he crossed the line with was the QB in SF. He implied he was gay. That was wrong but I never had a problem with TO calling out McNabb or Romo. IMO it does look like Romo is all about Witten and McNabb is soft in the clutch.

James didn't lie with Ben... look at Ben's SB stats, he tends to throw INT's in SB's. He was wrong on Mendenhall but we always talk about his ball protection. His nickname early on was fumblehall. Maybe he coughs it up a ton in practice?

Anyways... at the end of the day these guys are grown men but we demand too much from them off the field. Most football players aren't known for their smarts and nice guy attitudes.

This gets a *shrug* but I applaud the smoke it has put on Hines' DUI case and made for an exciting week during the lockout.

I think you need to read the apology again. It more towards his team mates than BADall.

And you had no issues with TO calling out McNabb or Romo in media??? Wow..I guess you are not a fan of team chemistry.

grotonsteel
07-15-2011, 04:24 PM
We can post here all we want how Harrison wasn't wrong to say what he said about Ben and Mendenhall, but IMO that's just meaningless spin unless it can be explained how what he did is any better than the stuff we used to rake TO over the coals for for years.

"That would never happen on the Steelers ...", etc. etc. Well it did.

I'm very sad about this ... my son and I bought matching James Harrison jerseys before the Superbowl. It'll be a little bit unpleasant to talk about this when he comes back from camp.

Sugar
07-15-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm actually a little disappointed that he issued the apology. People in our society are way too thin-skinned, IMO. Jeez. The man was asked his opinion and he gave it. Big deal.

It was a little refreshing that someone would just give their opinion without the PC filter on, but then he had to send an apology... :HeadBanger

Alas...

birtikidis
07-15-2011, 08:40 PM

This was a bad one.....I understand that many homosexuals were very insulted by being grouped with Roger Goodell. :lol: :lol:
Next time I see a gay dude walking down in Ybor, I'm gonna call him a Goodell and see what he does.

TallyStiller
07-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Let's face it. Sports is not a business. It's entertainment. Professional athletes are entertainers. And just like Hollywood entertainers, athletes live by a different set of societal standards. Charlie Sheen spends years as a boozing, whoring sex addict and gets... a TV show that casts him as a boozing, whoring sex addict that becomes one of the most popular things on the network. Just "Charlie being Charlie"... took a long, long time before any kind of consequence came of his behavior, and then it was only because it was so erratic that they couldn't keep producing the show. Brett Favre stalks a girl and sends pictures of his junk, gets fined $50k. Anthony Weiner sends a picture of his junk, he's forced to resign and go to rehab... Differing spheres, differing standards. Fair? Probably not. Real? Absolutely.

James put his foot in it, no doubt about it. But if he smooths things over in the locker room (which he already seems to be doing) and learns to keep his mouth shut around reporters (one can only hope), no harm, no foul...

Now being a bad teammate? THAT'S a sin for an athlete. Gay Ray kills people and fans love him. Leonard Little kills somebody and fans don't care. TO divides locker rooms, insinuates that Jeff Garcia is gay, calls out Donovan McNabb as a quitter, divides his locker room... he's a bad guy.

Football players have a profession. That profession is winning football games... but more than that, it's putting buts in seats and eyeballs in front of TV sets. As long as the money calculus remains in James' favor, he'll be fine - and most Steeler fans love his attitude, just like they loved Joey Porter's, Jack Lambert's, Joe Greene's... Bada$$es. Bottom line? James isn't going anywhere, and talk of suspension is absurd.

hawaiiansteel
07-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Eisen dissects James Harrison’s race-based reasoning

Posted by Mike Florio on July 15, 2011

The past two episodes of The Dan Patrick Show have featured guests who provided passionate rebuttals to the ‘Burgh’s biggest (current) butthead, Steelers linebacker James Harrison. On Thursday, our pal Rodney Harrison of NBC’s Football Night in America said that someone needs to tell James Harrison to “shut up and play football.” (The entire interview is available at DanPatrick.com.)

On Friday, NFL Network’s Rich Eisen unloaded on one of James Harrison’s favorite crutches, that he is being singled out for fines and threat of suspension because of his race.

“Do you really think the NFL is racist? Do you really think that?” Eisen said of Harrison’s mindset. “That to me is, you know, beyond the pale. . . . You don’t even know what you’re talking about when you say that. For instance, there’s a hit in the NFL that could be in violation of the rules. That hit, the video of that, goes to the desk of Ray Anderson.”

“Who’s black,” Dan Patrick interjected.

“Who’s black,” Eisen said. “He then picks up the phone, and to help him decide whether someone should get fined or suspended, he calls Merton Hanks.”

“Who’s black,” Patrick said.

“Correct,” Eisen said.

The Commissioner then makes a decision, which is subject to appeal to Art Shell and Ted Cottrell, two former coaches who were jointly appointed by the league and the pre-asterisked NFLPA to handle the appeals. Both men are black.

The haphazard suggestion of racial bias undermines otherwise solid arguments Harrison has made. At times, the rules regarding hits on defenseless players appear to be disconnected from reality and enforced inconsistently and illogically. If Harrison could confine his comments to those points and avoid reckless accusations and name calling, Harrison’s views would be taken far more seriously.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... reasoning/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/eisen-dissects-james-harrisons-race-based-reasoning/)

eniparadoxgma
07-15-2011, 10:47 PM

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

eniparadoxgma
07-15-2011, 10:57 PM

Bah. That's the point. He isn't following the standard PC mentality that seems to dominate nowadays. Dude says what he feels and I would assume he doesn't care if it's PC or not. To hell with the watered down, touchy-feely world where people have to watch what they say.

eniparadoxgma
07-15-2011, 10:59 PM
I appreciate James raw emotions/reactions. Sounds like the writer got him to vent and printed it.

If James wasn't this guy, he might not be the football player that he is on the field.

Ben and Mendy have both said they're ok with what James said, so the teammate thing really isn't an issue. For all we know, James was trying to communicate that Ben doesn't have to take chances because the D has his back.

I see a childlike innocence in James that's refreshing. Most of us can't be honest like this. We build up these pretend walls to be civil and avoid risk, but it's mostly bs. We're mostly fake and phony. I admire folks that say what they feel without a filter.

Of course there can be repercussions and most of us fear them. Clearly James doesn't. That's a major part of his bad mofo charm. :)

another :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

and yeah i will quadruple post...what of it? :)

AzStillers1989
07-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Let's face it. Sports is not a business. It's entertainment. Professional athletes are entertainers. And just like Hollywood entertainers, athletes live by a different set of societal standards. Charlie Sheen spends years as a boozing, whoring sex addict and gets... a TV show that casts him as a boozing, whoring sex addict that becomes one of the most popular things on the network. Just "Charlie being Charlie"... took a long, long time before any kind of consequence came of his behavior, and then it was only because it was so erratic that they couldn't keep producing the show. Brett Favre stalks a girl and sends pictures of his junk, gets fined $50k. Anthony Weiner sends a picture of his junk, he's forced to resign and go to rehab... Differing spheres, differing standards. Fair? Probably not. Real? Absolutely.

James put his foot in it, no doubt about it. But if he smooths things over in the locker room (which he already seems to be doing) and learns to keep his mouth shut around reporters (one can only hope), no harm, no foul...

Now being a bad teammate? THAT'S a sin for an athlete. Gay Ray kills people and fans love him. Leonard Little kills somebody and fans don't care. TO divides locker rooms, insinuates that Jeff Garcia is gay, calls out Donovan McNabb as a quitter, divides his locker room... he's a bad guy.

Football players have a profession. That profession is winning football games... but more than that, it's putting buts in seats and eyeballs in front of TV sets. As long as the money calculus remains in James' favor, he'll be fine - and most Steeler fans love his attitude, just like they loved Joey Porter's, Jack Lambert's, Joe Greene's... Bada$$es. Bottom line? James isn't going anywhere, and talk of suspension is absurd.

WELL SAID :Agree

:Beer

DukieBoy
07-16-2011, 12:30 PM
If James had played in the '50's, '60's, or '70's, his words would either not be known today or would not carry any weight, and he would be celebrated today as a legend, similar (but not equal) to how Joe Greene and Jack Lambert are celebrated as legends.

I am sure that Mean Joe and Jack Lambert had a few words for people including Bradshaw, Franco, Swann, some coaches, certainly for opponents and some of the media. And there were worse, one example being Jack "the Assassin" Tatum openly looking to kill or maim. They did not face today's predatory media (the game coverage today is 10% game, 30% advertisement, and 60% media coverage), nor did they have to deal with an activist commissioner looking to dramatically change the nature of the game by processes such as he has chosen to use, some of which have targeted James.

James' mistakes were errors of judgment and words, not acts. He did not attempt to kill or maim anyone. James is in a dispute with Goodell in which James is relatively powerless, and he has chosen to defend himself. By fighting his battle with Goodell in this way, James has made himself a target, forboth Goodell and for the media. James could show recognition of today's social and media environments, and be more selective with his choice of words and to whom he speaks them.

There are so many more aggregious "acts" by other players that deserve scrutiny --- from DUI's and drugs, to Cheatriot-ing, to fathering several children by a series of several women, to violent behaviors, racism, failure to support the veterans who built the game into what it is today, and on-and-on. Why is the media not paying more attention to these behaviors? Many of the media are lazy, inept at investigating and developing stories of real substance, and are owned by coroporations that demand attention-seeking reporting of the moment without alienating their golden goose NFL establishment. An interview story about James breaks, and the media piles onto it like dozens of Ray Lewises.

James made mistakes of judgment and words. James and his teammmates will work out their concerns with one another. James can learn to be more selective about his choice of words and about to whom he speaks his words. I would like to see his level of play maintained, with some attention to the rules changes.

I will guess that, one day in the future, James will be celebrated by Steeler fans for his football play, and his words will be either forgotten, or remembered within a more rational perspective. I am not willing to advocate throwing him out the door or under the bus.

My $2.02.

flippy
07-16-2011, 01:11 PM
It's like the NFL is becomming the wwe. Oh well. It's been trending this way for years.

I hate the PC Police. I predict someone will get called a racist in the near future for asking for their coffee "black".

I don't get why you can't call someone a "fag", "retard", etc. It's just one person ribbing another and what's the harm in that? Now if goodell is a queer/gay/homosexual (heck I don't even know the PC word) then maybe it was inappropriate to say. But he's probably not, and so it's fine. It's not derogatory. It's got a different meaning. How come every other word can have multiple definitions except a few randomly chosen words like fag?

James Harrison should have called those PC police "fags" because that's what they're being for making this an issue. Being politically correct is equivalent to being a douche imho. Oops better be careful with that one. Am I still allowed to call someone a douche these days?

I'm getting too old for these times we live in. It was much simpler when we were kids and could innocently call fags fags. It honestly makes no sense to me how people can get offended by that.

I could care less what path another person chooses. Good for them. This all reminds me of the scene in Clerks II where the one guy decides to take back the word "porch monkey".

RuthlessBurgher
07-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm surprised this brief little snippet from the Harrison article has not gotten any attention from the Arians-hating masses on this board:

His near-punchout of Bruce Arians, the Steelers’ offensive coordinator, during an altercation in practice

BradshawsHairdresser
07-16-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm surprised this brief little snippet from the Harrison article has not gotten any attention from the Arians-hating masses on this board:

His near-punchout of Bruce Arians, the Steelers’ offensive coordinator, during an altercation in practice

Now James really IS my hero.

j/k

hawaiiansteel
07-16-2011, 07:28 PM
WEDNESDAY, JULY 13, 2011

Open mouth, insert foot

Back when he first came into the league as an undrafted rookie, I was with some other reporters when we happened upon a Steelers assistant coach in a local watering hole at training camp in Latrobe.

We had all been watching this unknown kid out of Kent tearing up blocker after blocker and asked the coach about young James Harrison.

The coach basically said that the kid wasn't going to make it because he didn't want to listen to anyone – coaches, teammates, you name it.

At first, the coach seemed right. Harrison bounced around the league a little bit before finally landing with the Steelers on a full-time basis. It took him some more time before he finally "got it" and began playing within the system, doing what was asked of him.

Was he always a talent? Sure. That much was obvious. But he didn't become a star until he finally realized that football was a team game.

Now, after several years as a star player, we're seeing a Harrison who is seemingly trying to live up to his "bad boy" image.

His statements in a recently released magazine piece seem to reinforce that.

Unfortunately, I've seen this show before. And it was from a player at the same exact position as Harrison.

Back in the '90s, Steelers linebacker Greg Lloyd went from being a team leader and respected locker room presence to a guy who started believing all the hype surrounding himself.

He wasn't afraid to offend anyone, including his own teammates, particularly those on the offensive side of the ball.

Did it adversely affect the Steelers in the locker room? Nope. The offensive guys just shook their heads and wrote it off as Lloyd being Lloyd.

They all have a job to do. When you have 53 men in a locker room, there's a good chance that some of them aren't going to be best buddies. But the organization has to rely on the fact that they are all professionals and that when they get on the field, everyone is going to do their job.

They don't have to like each other. They don't even have to fully respect each other. But everyone has to do their job to the best of their abilities.

Harrison's comments about quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his two interceptions in the Super Bowl are something that probably should have been best left unsaid. But at the end of the day, they'll have no bearing on the Steelers moving forward.

posted by Dale Lolley

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Shawn
07-17-2011, 03:45 AM

Bah. That's the point. He isn't following the standard PC mentality that seems to dominate nowadays. Dude says what he feels and I would assume he doesn't care if it's PC or not. To hell with the watered down, touchy-feely world where people have to watch what they say.

Next time you are at work, try talking to your boss like this and see how it goes for ya.

Discipline of Steel
07-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Well, technically Goodell is not his boss. Its debatable whether the NFL or the Steelers can even fine him for his comments made outside of any contractual agreement. As far as setting himself up as a target of the NFL...well, ill let yinz figure out why he is probably not too worried about that.

Leper Friend
07-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Next time you are at work, try talking to your boss like this and see how it goes for ya.
That's such a dumb analogy. I hate when people compare a normal every day job to that of an NFL superstar. I' m sorry , but they aren't treated the same as us. Nor should they be.

frankthetank1
07-17-2011, 11:42 AM

i thought overall ben and mendy had a better games in the sb then harrison did. the one pick that went back for a td its hard to fault ben for. he was hit as he was throwing the ball. i think it was kemo couldnt sustain the block long enough. harrison didnt do a damn thing but its ok to call out other guys who performed better? at least TO always put up big numbers. harrison is a great player dont get me wrong but when you have 0 sacks and a couple tackles you have no right to call anyone out. does calling out teammates help in anyway? no of course not. why do it then?

i think this is worse than a dui. anyone could get a dui. i could have a jameson on the rocks with dinner and i would be over the legal limit. what harrison said was worse than what ive ever heard any player say about a teammate. how do we demand too much of players off the field? i dont think its too much to ask for players not to get arrested or shoot their mouths off

feltdizz
07-17-2011, 01:43 PM
I don't think this is worse than a DUI. The media is feeding this because it sells but in reality it's already over. The DUI is on Hines record and another one will get him suspended... James talking trash about the offense isn't new to the Steelers... I'm sure the D says a ton to the O in the locker room. It's only shocking to fans because they have this mythical view of what a football player is in 2011.

When a team goes 5 wide I think it's rare to see an OLB have a bunch of tackles. The whole point of spreading us out is to rake away the pass rush. I'm not making excuses for JH but I think it's obvious why he only had 1 sack.

feltdizz
07-17-2011, 01:52 PM
That's such a dumb analogy. I hate when people compare a normal every day job to that of an NFL superstar. I' m sorry , but they aren't treated the same as us. Nor should they be.

I think that's why some fans are quick to judge/bash athletes... Athletes get to do things in their profession that we can't and some people despise that.

"I can't do it so why should he?"

pittpete
07-17-2011, 05:40 PM
James Harrison played with a herniated disc in his lower back, that was pressing on a nerve.
Dont even know how he could walk never mind play football...
Do you remember his last healthy superbowl?
Bens pretty much stunk it up in all 3 Superbowls.
Not sticking up for Harrison, but im just saying.

RuthlessBurgher
07-17-2011, 09:45 PM
James Harrison played with a herniated disc in his lower back, that was pressing on a nerve.
Do you remember his last healthy superbowl?
Bens pretty much stunk it up in all 3 Superbowls.

Sure, his play did not live up to his usual standards for his first and third Super Bowl(although his performances in those playoffs were integral to getting us that far in the first place), but you simply can't deny the guy that second title. That was the definition of clutch.

grotonsteel
07-17-2011, 10:58 PM

Ben was playing with a fracture in his Right Leg and a Broken Nose.
Don't even know how he could walk never mind play football..
Not sticking for Ben but i'm just saying.

hawaiiansteel
07-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Updated: July 16, 2011

James Harrison's words define image

By LZ Granderson
ESPN.com

One of the greatest hip-hop cuts of all time is "They Reminisce Over You" by Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth. Released in 1992, this introspective monologue started off as a tribute to a friend of the group who had passed away but ended up becoming the lead song to the soundtrack of many black Gen X'ers lives, of which I am a part.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0715/espn_g_jharrison_sy_300.jpg

Instead of being celebrated as a champion, hard-working player, James Harrison has become notorious for public pronouncements.

To this day, whenever I hear the haunting sax refrain that drives the melody, my head involuntarily begins to bop, as my mind does a quick inventory of the decisions I've made and how I hope to be viewed when people reminisce over me.

I thought of this song when I saw the photo of a shirtless James Harrison, brandishing two guns and a frown -- driving up the page clicks for Men's Journal, while simultaneously driving home nearly every negative stereotype of today's black athlete.

In the apology that followed he said he's a gun collector, a hunter and a fisherman who advocates for the responsible use of firearms and "could just as easily posed with my fishing poles."

"…… I am not promoting gun violence by posing for that photo."

Hmmm, WWJD (what would James do?): Go for the fishing poles or play off a cover image of the video game series "Hitman" in which the main character, Agent 47, is an assassin and the subtitle of the latest installment is "Blood Money?"

Decisions, decision.

I'm not going to say that Harrison's apology isn't sincere. But I am amazed at how the language an athlete tweets or uses in interviews always seems vastly different from the language used in apologies.

It's a free country and Harrison doesn't owe anyone anything, not even his community. If he wants to push a negative stereotype of black men in general and black athletes in particular, it is what it is. The days of black athletes feeling morally obligated to "give back" or be positive role models are long gone.

It's every man for themselves.

It's every man, rep themselves.

Still when I think about the Harrison interview and all his other blips, I couldn't help but recall the Rock-Smooth lyric, "when they reminisce over you, my God."

• Skipping out on meeting the president of the United States -- twice.
• A domestic dispute (charges were eventually dropped).
• And now trying to downplay a photograph that emulates an assassin and comments critical of fellow Steelers. (His beefs about teammates' play in the Super Bowl would have more bite if dude had more than one tackle.)

But that's neither here or there. In less than five years, the 33-year-old Harrison will likely be out of football, but our impression of him, carved from what we know of his life up to this point, will live long after.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0715/espn_g_jharrison2_sy_200.jpg

The man behind the mask hasn't presented the best public image.

Realistically he probably doesn't really give damn about that, me, you, or how anything he said in the story -- or apology -- makes him look. And maybe years from now that's what they'll say about him: "He didn't give a damn."

Too bad, because they could say so much more.

Harrison was an undrafted free agent who has scratched and clawed his way to being one of the best defensive players today, maybe of all time. His legacy should be one of resilience and determination. His narrative should be repeated every hour during the NFL draft, much in the same way Tom Brady's is. This is a guy who was underestimated and dismissed now forcing the league to recognize. He should be so much more than what he's allowed himself to become.

I will always have a soft spot for people like Harrison because, as someone who started life with my share of mistakes, I know people can change. And as novelist George Eliot once said, "it's never too late to be who you might have been."

But that doesn't take away the fact that we must realize who that person is today. I'm not outraged by a single thing Harrison said in that interview because, sadly, I've come to expect that out of him. He's always linked to questionable behavior, so I expect questionable words.

My surprise is reserved for the day he changes. I'm not being cynical, I'm just being real.

I remember when I used to cringe every time someone of Harrison's profile pulled something like he did in Men's Journal. Between our culture's insatiable appetite for scandal, and the small number of positive black images in the press, the black community couldn't afford to have its public figures lead reckless lives. There simply wasn't a balanced portrayal of the black community in the media. There was one episode of "The Cosby Show" vs. a week's worth of "breaking news."

I'm not sure things are too much different now, but at this point it doesn't really matter. Harrison's in Men's Journal, Rodney King's in jail -- again -- and Chris Brown's in dire need of growing up.

And that's just in one week.

I guess I'm at the point where my desire for someone to be something he's not has given way to accepting who he really is. Fines and suspensions can punish, jail can deter but eventually a person's going to be who he is going to be. I hope for change but accept people may not. If Harrison was reported arrested tomorrow, I doubt anyone would be shocked. He's projected that kind of image.

And when they reminisce over him, that's what they'll say,… unless he decides otherwise.

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/stor ... pology-not (http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6772486/james-harrison-presents-certain-image-apology-not)

feltdizz
07-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Horrible article...

Everytime a black athlete does something contraversal they represet the black community...

What about the donations to charity an the other positive things Harrison does? Those things are never talked about as a representation of black males... Where was this guy when Harrison was donating fans money to charity?

Harrison represents Harrison... he doesn't rep for black males... he reps for his own actions. Sometimes a black man can be a black man's worse enemy. Pulling out the black male card doesn't fly... It's not like JH posed for Nickelodeon magazine.

fordfixer
07-18-2011, 04:25 AM
Steelers LB James Harrison isn’t in denial

RICK TELANDER rtelander@suntimes.com July 16, 2011 3:58AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander ... enial.html (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/6533429-417/steelers-lb-james-harrison-isnt-in-denial.html)

Writer Paul Solotaroff said he agrees with Steelers linebacker James Harrison, who lambasted NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. | Gene J. Puskar~AP

Updated: July 17, 2011 2:27AM

I find the frenzied fallout over Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison’s nasty words about NFL commissioner Roger Goodell rather amusing.

All anybody would have to do to get the big-hitting, wild-on-the-field Harrison to say the same things again would be to cozy up to the 6-foot, 242-pound four-time Pro Bowler and ask him. He called Goodell “the devil’’ and “a crook’’ and said he wouldn’t urinate on the commish if he were on fire, and a few other things. He also ripped Steelers teammates Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall for their performances in the Steelers’ Super Bowl loss to the Green Bay Packers.

He might be backtracking a bit now because of the furor he created, but he isn’t denying much. He claims that the angry stuff he said about his team’s quarterback and running back were stated because of the “emotional loss’’ and “were pulled out of a long conversation, and the context was lost.’’

I have no doubt that is essentially true because printed words can never equal the spoken, physical moment of the telling. Such is journalism. Such is the necessity of editing. Harrison knows that. But it doesn’t mean he didn’t mean what he said.

Harrison highlighted his Twitter apology by naming his main mistake: “What I do apologize for and take full responsibility for is for speaking in such a candid manner to someone outside the team.”

Well, that person outside the team is Men’s Journal and Rolling Stone writer Paul Solotaroff. I’ve known Paul for years, and he and I recently co-authored a piece for Men’s Journal on the suicide of former Bears safety Dave Duerson.

Paul will embed himself like a tick and get you to say things you can’t believe you’re saying. He will dig like a prairie dog and chomp like a pit bull, and he will not leave until he gets the story that lies beneath the surface. He told me almost two months ago that the James Harrison story was going to blow up a lot of things in the NFL.

The interesting part is Solotaroff agrees with Harrison. Paul e-mailed me Friday night: “The thing of it is, I actually like surly James and have been leaping to his side in all the media-blabber stuff. On ‘Dan Patrick’ today, I lost it a little bit and called Goodell a ‘soulless racist.’?’’

Solotaroff doesn’t hide his feelings about what he believes is the exploitation of self-destructive NFL players for fun and profit. I told him he’s now a one-man PR front for Men’s Journal.

His response, which is pure Paul: “Wait’ll you see the next one. Talk about gun smoke .?.?.?!’’

I don’t know his next topic for MJ, but I would guess it has to do with the end of the world and the collapse of sports as we know them.

hawaiiansteel
07-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Harrison among Steelers who could attend Big Ben's wedding

NFL.com
Published: July 22, 2011

Ben Roethlisberger's white wedding will be accented by plenty of black and gold.

Team sources told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that Pittsburgh Steelers brass -- including ownership, front-office executives and coach Mike Tomlin -- received permission from the NFL to attend the quarterback's wedding Saturday in Ohio Township, Penn.

All are expected to attend, as are many of Roethlisberger's teammates. Several Steelers were under the impression that linebacker James Harrison -- who made criticial comments about the quarterback in a recent magazine profile -- would be there.

Team officials needed permission to attend because they are barred from interacting with players during the NFL lockout. Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones similarly received permission from the league to attend quarterback Tony Romo's wedding earlier this month.

Roethlisberger will tie the knot with fiancée Ashley Harlan, with whom he had an on-and-off courtship over five years, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

The wedding represents another sign of Roethlisberger's positive new direction in life. A two-time Super Bowl champion, Roethlisberger had his reputation badly tarnished by two separate sexual-assault allegations. In 2010, he received a six-game suspension -- which later was reduced to a four-game ban -- from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell after the second accusation came to light.

Roethlisberger appears to have changed his ways since then.

"I wasn't making changes for other people," Roethlisberger told the Tribune-Review. "I was doing it for myself. Just wanted to do the right things and be the person that I know who I am and can be."

WPXI-TV reported Friday that the wedding will take place at Christ Church at Grove Farm with heavy security on hand. Roethlisberger is paying for the extra police presence, with the tab running at roughly $4,000.

http://burgh.us/61g

RuthlessBurgher
07-23-2011, 11:45 AM
WPXI-TV reported Friday that the wedding will take place at Christ Church at Grove Farm with heavy security on hand. Roethlisberger is paying for the extra police presence, with the tab running at roughly $4,000.

I guess Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn won't be coming, claiming to be Tyler Grisham and Matt Spaeth. :wink:

http://www.zuguide.com/image/Owen-Wilson-Wedding-Crashers.jpg