PDA

View Full Version : Football Cards

Discipline of Steel
07-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Wondering who out there has old Steeler football cards? I have a ton, including Lambert and Swann rookie cards from the first dynasty.

D Rock
07-13-2011, 01:53 AM
I'm a card collector of sorts.

As far as old ones go...I picked up a Bradshaw rookie in real nice condition a couple years back.

hawaiiansteel
07-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Wondering who out there has old Steeler football cards? I have a ton, including Lambert and Swann rookie cards from the first dynasty.

I'm a long-time collector of Steelers football cards and have thousands of cards including a lot of rookie cards, my most valuable ones being those of Terry Bradshaw, Mean Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Franco Harris, Lynn Swann and Rod Woodson.

Discipline of Steel
07-13-2011, 07:02 AM
When i get time tonight, im going to post a few pictures of some of my favorite ones. There are so many brands of card these days but Topps is still the standard.

I have to admit, I still ask for cards on Christmas....

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2011, 09:25 AM
I don't collect cards, but in my son's bedroom, there is a Hines Ward rookie card (wearing #15...before he switched to #86).

Djfan
07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
My father-in-law does. He has a stupid big collection. I get his dupes. I must have about 100 or so. I really don't know what or who I have.

We just bought him a collection of Steelers cards - 500 in the random collection. There was a ticket stub from a Browns/Steelers game in there. It was about 3 inches by 3/4 inch. I would love to research that one more.

D Rock
07-13-2011, 02:16 PM
I collected as a kid, treasuring any card that was shiny and looked cool. Didn't matter the sport, team, player or whatever else.

When I was around 18 I started getting back into collecting, buying some cheap boxes and basically just looking for value, even though I had no real plans to sell anything. I started to really hunt for Pittsburgh guys at this time, and started paying more attention to the intricacies of collecting.

around 22 I started buying and selling on eBay for profit. It works sometimes, but sometimes you get burned too. I realized that buying boxes is a HUGE waste of money, and that I could make up to $25 or $30 on a quick turn around sale of single cards if I won the right auction, all while only gambling less than $100 to do it. I started getting into more valuable cards and collecting Pittsburgh guys while selling players of other teams if the opportunity seemed right.

And now, at 24, I am stuck looking at boxes of cards that I can't really sell for any serious money that I've been gathering for the last 20 years. I'll give them to some kids someday and let them enjoy them. I've now moved to collecting bigger items, and have started with some seats from 3 rivers (2 blue floor mount ones in great shape) and the stuff I'll show some pics of in my next post.

D Rock
07-13-2011, 02:37 PM
I got all three of these off of eBay from a great seller who has some reasonable prices and sends out emails with sales to previous customers.

Tyler Kennedy 2011 Winter Classic authentic Reebok autographed jersey

Troy Polamalu autographed Riddell mini helmet (generic Steelers helmet)

Mike Wallace autographed Riddell full size helmet (#17 stickers on front)

D Rock
07-13-2011, 02:41 PM
1971 Topps, Terry Bradshaw rookie card

2003 Bowman gold uncirculated Troy Polamalu rookie card

Joe Greene game-worn jersey card with part of the 'N' from his name plate - numbered 5/7

2009 Mike Wallace rookie autograph with an 'A' from his nameplate - numbered 1/5

D Rock
07-13-2011, 02:47 PM
-rookie jersey and autograph of Jordan Staal
-rookie autograph from Lamarr Woodley (before the change to #56)

-Emmanuel Sanders rookie auto, Tyler kennedy auto, Rashard Mendenhall rookie auto, and Mike Wallace rookie auto (most were blue ink, only ten a year per player are done with red ink)

-Hines Ward rookie auto, Rashard Mendenhall rookie auto, Jordan Staal rookie auto, and Tyler Kennedy auto

all the other cards shown are rookie cards with the exception of the blue Polamalu there. I just like that one because I'm still attracted to shiny bright colored things.

I have plenty more too, these are just the ones I have displayed for now.

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Cool collection D Rock. The only autographs I have are Joey Porter and Amos Zereoue on an tiny Bettis jersey my infant son happened to be wearing at our local mall when we happened upon an autograph signing including those aforementioned Steelers (as well as a few greats from the past such as John Henry Johnson and Bullet Bill Dudley). They showed a spot on the news later that evening with Peezy holding my son on his lap, posing for a picture.

Recently my wife bought my son (who's now 10) 3 boxes of hockey cards (except that they are all from the 90-91 or 91-92 seasons). He likes them, and now seems to know more about players like Ed Belfour, Cam Neely, Pat LaFontaine, etc. than current players (Pittsburgh Penguins excluded), even though he has never seen any of those older guys actually play. One of these days I'll have to tell him that Cam Neely was Seabass in Dumb & Dumber...that should blow his mind. :lol:

D Rock
07-13-2011, 03:35 PM
That's cool that your son is getting into it. I think that is my favorite thing about collecting as a kid....I felt like I knew so much about sports, because I could name a couple hundred players that nobody really knew who they were.

Back in the days of lineman and kickers being on cards....

Djfan
07-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up on cards in bulk not being worth much. Neither my FIL nor I really care about that part of it. He just likes to collect them and put them in shiny, nifty folders. I get the extras and stack them neatly in my shrine.

Not too much concern about value or resale there.

Discipline of Steel
07-13-2011, 11:07 PM
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/Albert5885/IMG_1554.jpg

Couple prized rookie cards here...

Discipline of Steel
07-13-2011, 11:09 PM
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae243/Albert5885/IMG_1556.jpg

Couple other prized rookie cards... can anyone guess the guys in the top two corners?

D Rock
07-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Nice collection Discipline. That Emmitt Smith in particular looks like its in great shape from what is visible. Take care of that one. The league's all-time leading rusher should have some lasting value.

Discipline of Steel
07-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Nice collection Discipline. That Emmitt Smith in particular looks like its in great shape from what is visible. Take care of that one. The league's all-time leading rusher should have some lasting value.

Thanks D, I happen to have two of those in perfect condition. My favorite one of yours is the Bradshaw with hair. Its almost amazing to look at, like something i have never seen before :)

So yeah, pulled the box down last night and really enjoyed looking through. Amazing how i remember each player so well. Earl Campbell and Robert Newhouse were some bad ass power backs i wish we had on our team right now. Those were the days.........