PDA

View Full Version : All 3 levels of defense debated; I'm now verklempt about OL

RuthlessBurgher
07-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Debating present vs. past is always an enjoyable activity. What would Troy Polamalu and James Harrison look like if they had played on those great 70's defenses? How dominant would Joe Greene and Mel Blount be if they played today?

It was fun debating how our current linebackers compared to great players of the past like Jack Lambert and Jack Ham, how our current 3-4 linemen compared to the dominant 4-3 Steel Curtain d-line, and even though our secondary is a weakness at the present time, you could still debate where Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor fit in among the likes of Mel Blount, Donnie Shell, Rod Woodson, and Carnell Lake.

Well, that stops now, as we look at the top 10 Steeler o-linemen. Our o-line has been subpar for some time now, and although they have been addressing it of late (adding an excellent rookie center and a reliable veteran right tackle just last season), guys like that haven't been on the team long enough to merit consideration at this point, and the rest of the guys seem to belong in the Hall of Mediocre (if that) rather than a list of all-time greats. Maurkice Pouncey should certainly be on such a list soon enough, though.

Here's my top 10 (I know I'm going to forget someone and kick myself later, but here goes anyway):

1. Dermontti Dawson
2. Mike Webster
3. Alan Faneca
4. Jon Kolb
5. Ray Mansfield
6. Jeff Hartings
7. Tunch Ilkin
8. John Jackson
9. Marvel Smith
10. Carlton Haselrig

Missed the cut: Will Wolford, Larry Brown, Wayne Gandy, Max Starks, Leon Searcy, Willie Colon, Sam Davis, Craig Wolfley, Justin Strzelcyzk, Gerry Mullins, Jim Clack, Steve Courson, Terry Long, Kendall Simmons, Duval Love, Brendan Stai, Chris Kemoeatu, and Sean Mahan (just kidding about that last one).

Oviedo
07-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Debating present vs. past is always an enjoyable activity. What would Troy Polamalu and James Harrison look like if they had played on those great 70's defenses? How dominant would Joe Greene and Mel Blount be if they played today?

It was fun debating how our current linebackers compared to great players of the past like Jack Lambert and Jack Ham, how our current 3-4 linemen compared to the dominant 4-3 Steel Curtain d-line, and even though our secondary is a weakness at the present time, you could still debate where Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor fit in among the likes of Mel Blount, Donnie Shell, Rod Woodson, and Carnell Lake.

Well, that stops now, as we look at the top 10 Steeler o-linemen. Our o-line has been subpar for some time now, and although they have been addressing it of late (adding an excellent rookie center and a reliable veteran right tackle just last season), guys like that haven't been on the team long enough to merit consideration at this point, and the rest of the guys seem to belong in the Hall of Mediocre (if that) rather than a list of all-time greats. Maurkice Pouncey should certainly be on such a list soon enough, though.

Here's my top 10 (I know I'm going to forget someone and kick myself later, but here goes anyway):

1. Dermontti Dawson
2. Mike Webster
3. Alan Faneca
4. Jon Kolb
5. Ray Mansfield
6. Jeff Hartings
7. Tunch Ilkin
8. John Jackson
9. Marvel Smith
10. Carlton Haselrig

Missed the cut: Will Wolford, Larry Brown, Wayne Gandy, Max Starks, Leon Searcy, Willie Colon, Sam Davis, Craig Wolfley, Justin Strzelcyzk, Gerry Mullins, Jim Clack, Steve Courson, Terry Long, Kendall Simmons, Duval Love, Brendan Stai, Chris Kemoeatu, and Sean Mahan (just kidding about that last one).

I'd put Larry Brown, Craig Wolfley and Sam Davis ahead of Jackson, Smith and Haselrig.

steelblood
07-12-2011, 02:59 PM
1. Dirt Dawson
2. Mike Webster
3. John Kolb
4. Alan Faneca
5. Ray Mansfield
6. Larry Brown
7. Jeff Hartings
8. Tunch Ilkin
9. Carlton Haselrig - it was a short career. But, he was dominant.
10. Maurkice Pouncey (I know it was one year. But, it was a pro bowl year in his rookie season.)

papillon
07-12-2011, 03:52 PM
I'll be a contrarian and switch 1 and 2.

1. Mike Webster
2. Dermontti Dawson
3. Alan Faneca
4. Jon Kolb
5. Ray Mansfield
6. Jeff Hartings
7. Sam Davis
8. John Jackson
9. Maurkice Pouncey (at the end of his career the three top Steeler lineman may all be centers and the worst Steeler lineman may also be a center, feast or famine)
10. Larry Brown

Pappy

flippy
07-12-2011, 07:22 PM
1. Dirt - redefined the C position. the first true athlete on the OLine. Nobody moved like this guy. Best at his position by the biggest margin imho.

2. Faneca - the first true modern pulling guard. set the standard for LGs. and was amazing playing LT. who else could do that? i can't think of another guard that would do as well - probably cause if those guys could play tackle, they'd already be there.

3. Gandy - the perfect LT. our line fell apart when gandy left pittsburgh. letting him go was one of the all time Steeler FO blunders.

4. Webby - Feel bad putting him down this far. He was awesome and so strong. Just think the other guys were better.

5. Pouncey - the natural. i don't remember anyone contributing this fast at such a high level. he's got the tools to be as good as anyone ahead of him. he's already the #2 C in the game in his first year. it's gonna be tough for him to surpass dirt, but someday it may be arguable.

6. Haselrig - even a bigger natural than Pouncey. If he had his head straight and was dedicated, he could have been at the top of this list. To go from no college ball to a pro bowl so quickly was amazing

7. Kolb - Dominant player for us for many years. Wasn't he credited as being the guy that brought training to OLinemen? No more big fatties, big strong athletes started with Kolb.

8. Frank Varrichione - One of the first dominant OLinemen in our history. May have been the guy to bring toughness to the O side of the ball for our Steelers.

9. Mansfield - How can I leave this legendary guy off the list. Another great Steelers C. We are truly a factory at the position.

10. Starks - Most underrated lineman in our history. He faces better pass rushers week in and week out than any Steeler has faced in our history. And he has to protect the blindside of a guy that will hold the ball forever to make a play. I also think he plays with a bit of a liability to his right. Put him in a different situation and he might be a perrenial Pro Bowler if he had a QB that was afraid of pressure and got rid of the ball faster.

hawaiiansteel
07-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Mike Webster
Dermontti Dawson
Alan Faneca
Frank Varrichione
Jon Kolb
Tunch Ilkin
Ray Mansfield
Larry Brown
Sam Davis
Jeff Hartings

Discipline of Steel
07-13-2011, 12:49 AM
1. Dirt Dawson
2. Mike Webster
3. John Kolb
4. Alan Faneca
5. Ray Mansfield
6. Larry Brown
7. Jeff Hartings
8. Tunch Ilkin
9. Carlton Haselrig - it was a short career. But, he was dominant.
10. Maurkice Pouncey (I know it was one year. But, it was a pro bowl year in his rookie season.)

Honestly, i like this list. Larry Brown was an awesome OT and i have his TE rookie card.