PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Troy and a contract

MadSteel
07-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Do the Steelers re-sign him to big money or do they let him go?

He'll be 31 next year and he hasnt been healthy as of late. His playing style causes a lot of damage to his body, so how much longer can he play at a high level?

I love Troy and believe he is not only one of the best Safeties to come along in 20 years, but is one of the best football players to come along in 20 years.

However, in the last 5 years he has only played 16 games once. In 2009 he played only 5 games.

The question is, Can he provide 4-5 more years of great football or will all past injuries and future ones cause a severe decline in his play? Is it worth the gamble?

Doogie36
07-11-2011, 02:25 PM
how long did Rod Woodson play? Didnt we say the same thing about him when we let him go? TROY P is retiring a Steeler!!!!!! He's a Jerome type who will take a lesser salary to stay later in his career.

RuthlessBurgher
07-11-2011, 03:23 PM
In the last 7 years, Ben Roethlisberger only played 16 games once. Plus, he's turning 30 next year. Time to dump him too. :wink:

Slapstick
07-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Wasn't Troy the DPOY just last year?

Didn't he basically save and/or win several games for the Steelers last year?

Oviedo
07-11-2011, 03:36 PM
In the last 7 years, Ben Roethlisberger only played 16 games once. Plus, he's turning 30 next year. Time to dump him too. :wink:

Ben doesn't have an expiring contract and Troy does.

I'm not so sure that this is a slamdunk decision if Troy misses more games again this season. Timmons should be a slamdunk so that's two players who will demand big dollars.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-11-2011, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Troy retires after this season.

feltdizz
07-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Wasn't Troy the DPOY just last year?

Didn't he basically save and/or win several games for the Steelers last year?
Yes and yes but you have to realize there is a lockout so we have more time to come up with crazy questions.

Troy defines our team and as long as he can play 10 games a year we are getting a steal.

RuthlessBurgher
07-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Troy has played all 16 games in each of his first 3 seasons (granted, he didn't start any games during his rookie season, but he did play in all 16 of them anyway). Then he played 13 games, 11 games, and all 16 games once again. In 2009, he was limited to only 5 games, then played 14 games last year. He's missed 21 games in his entire 8 year career (the same number of games that Aaron Smith missed in the last 2 seasons).

Talk to me when Troy gets to a Bob Sanders level of injury prone (missing 64 games in 7 seasons). Until then, Troy is the reigning defensive MVP of the league, and an absolute menace to opposing O.C.'s and QB's whenever healthy. In the 3 years in which Troy did start all 16 games, the Steelers went 15-1 with a rookie QB (2004), and won two championships (2005 & 2008). Coincidence...or something more???

MadSteel
07-12-2011, 12:31 AM

Didnt say anything about dumping Troy, just after this year his current contract is up. Do we risk signing him to a big contract knowing what we do about his age and significant injuries over the last 5-6 seasons?

I'm really trying to look at it as the Steelers FO will, no emotion involved. I guess the question is, do you think the Steelers will gamble on Troy, if in fact it is a gamble.?

AzStillers1989
07-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Troy has played all 16 games in each of his first 3 seasons (granted, he didn't start any games during his rookie season, but he did play in all 16 of them anyway). Then he played 13 games, 11 games, and all 16 games once again. In 2009, he was limited to only 5 games, then played 14 games last year. He's missed 21 games in his entire 8 year career (the same number of games that Aaron Smith missed in the last 2 seasons).

Talk to me when Troy gets to a Bob Sanders level of injury prone (missing 64 games in 7 seasons). Until then, Troy is the reigning defensive MVP of the league, and an absolute menace to opposing O.C.'s and QB's whenever healthy. In the 3 years in which Troy did start all 16 games, the Steelers went 15-1 with a rookie QB (2004), and won two championships (2005 & 2008). Coincidence...or something more???

Very interesting angle.... :Agree

hawaiiansteel
07-12-2011, 03:01 AM
of course, this opinion is being made without knowledge of what happened in 2011...

however, the easy answer is of course you do everything possible to re-sign one of the greatest Steelers of all-time. Troy seems like the kind of guy who would want to retire as a Steeler, there's no way in this world that I could ever imagine him ever in another uniform.

RuthlessBurgher
07-12-2011, 09:08 AM
of course, this opinion is being made without knowledge of what happened in 2011...

however, the easy answer is of course you do everything possible to re-sign one of the greatest Steelers of all-time. Troy seems like the kind of guy who would want to retire as a Steeler, there's no way in this world that I could ever imagine him ever in another uniform.

Well, I could imagine him in this uniform too:

http://www.sportsblink.com/product_images/troy-polamalu-usc-trojans-celebrating-autographed-photograph-3353252.jpg

:wink:

Oviedo
07-12-2011, 12:29 PM

Do you remember Jason Gildon and the contract we signed him to?

BradshawsHairdresser
07-12-2011, 01:34 PM

I thought the same thing about Franco Harris and Rod Woodson.

grotonsteel
07-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Very interesting angle.... :Agree

+1

:Agree

Troy is the only DB on Steelers team who can play. I will take 70% healthy Troy over Ike Taylor if i had to make a choice between those two.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-12-2011, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Troy retires after this season.

It wouldn't surprise me.

In one of the "America's Game" series he mentioned something along the lines of not being a football player as much as he is a person who plays football. His meaning was that football does not define him but is more the means to an end - early retirement with enough money to enjoy the rest of his life without worry.

I really hope that it doesn't come to that but I do think that it is possible.

MadSteel
07-12-2011, 08:36 PM
I agree with almost everyone here on their thoughts and love for Troy, even the one about not being suprised if Troy retired.

However, what do you belive the Steelers will do, not what you think they should, but actually what you know about the Steelers front office and how they have handled things like this in the past?

papillon
07-12-2011, 09:48 PM
I agree with almost everyone here on their thoughts and love for Troy, even the one about not being suprised if Troy retired.

However, what do you belive the Steelers will do, not what you think they should, but actually what you know about the Steelers front office and how they have handled things like this in the past?

Troy is a once in a lifetime player (Woodson was close, but not quite, IMO) and what you do with a once in a life time player is sign him and keep him. That way he adds to the Steeler legacy of all-time great players. I think that a player like Polamalu that comes to work everyday, ready to play and can impact a game from the defensive side of the ball like only 1 or 2 safeties in the history of the game deserves different treatment than other players. It's just my opinion, but that's how I think the Steeler front office is viewing Polamalu.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
07-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Because Troy is a once-in-a-lifetime player, if he decides to keep playing, he will probably demand a once-in-a-lifetime contract. I think the Steelers will reason: 1) at Troy's age, we probably won't get enough return on our investment to justify it, and 2) it would hamstring us in terms of signing all the other players we will need. Rooney will hand him his bottle of Head and Shoulders and tell him, "Thanks for the memories." Then, next draft, Colbert will be looking for his replacement.

ikestops85
07-13-2011, 10:25 AM

The Steelers will offer Troy a big contract lasting 6 years with much of the money on the back years. The signing bonus will be reasonable that way when he reaches years 4-6 it won't hurt the team so much to let him go.

They have to offer him big money to save face even though both sides know that he will never see all that money. This is the strategy many teams have used in the past but I'm not sure it will hold up under the new CBA (if their is one). The limit on dead money may put a hurtin' on this type of deal. I guess we'll see.

aggiebones
07-13-2011, 12:38 PM
He is a commodity past his playing abilities and the Steelers will take that into account. They will also take into account, his physical health.
Who is his agent because Troy will not be involved in the negotiations.

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 01:33 PM
He is a commodity past his playing abilities and the Steelers will take that into account. They will also take into account, his physical health.
Who is his agent because Troy will not be involved in the negotiations.

past his playing abilities? :wft

NJ-STEELER
07-13-2011, 07:10 PM
In the last 7 years, Ben Roethlisberger only played 16 games once. Plus, he's turning 30 next year. Time to dump him too. :

. Timmons should be a slamdunk

Based on what?

Shawn
07-13-2011, 07:24 PM
This is one of the few times I think the Steelers will pony up. We are a different D without Troy. He is indeed that important to this D. Even at 31, he deserves big money and the Steelers will pay it.

hawaiiansteel
07-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Polamalu Waiting For New Contract

BY JCUDNEY – JULY 22, 2011

The Pittsburgh Steelers, along with every other team in the National Football League, is waiting for there to be a new collective bargaining agreement between the players and owners in the league. That waiting period means that the teams are currently waiting to sign the players who are becoming free agents as well as work out new projects for some players who only have a year or two left on their contracts.

Steelers star strong safety Troy Polamalus is of the latter category. He has one year left on his contract and is set to make $6.4 million in 2011, but that is well below his market value. According to PittsburghLive.com, Polamalu’s agent, Marvin Demoff, tackled this subject and said, “The Steelers always have done this sort of thing the year before a contract is up. There’s been no discussion yet, but I’d say it’s highly likely that was because of the lockout. We’d be open to it, sure. Troy’s played there eight years and wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh.”

Polamalu likely has many years left in him, but a new contract probably won’t be revealed until the lockout is over.

http://sports.stubhub.com/nfl/pittsburg ... -contract/ (http://sports.stubhub.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/polamalu-waiting-for-new-contract/)

Chavezz
07-24-2011, 09:46 AM
This is an easy one. Troy gets a contract that pays him 500,000 a game that he plays in.

That's an 8 mill a year contract.

LOL

I know I know. That's not how it works but wouldn't performance based contract be great if there was a way to truly create a fair way of implementing them.

Captain Lemming
07-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Because Troy is a once-in-a-lifetime player, if he decides to keep playing, he will probably demand a once-in-a-lifetime contract. I think the Steelers will reason: 1) at Troy's age, we probably won't get enough return on our investment to justify it, and 2) it would hamstring us in terms of signing all the other players we will need. Rooney will hand him his bottle of Head and Shoulders and tell him, "Thanks for the memories." Then, next draft, Colbert will be looking for his replacement.

The funny thing is that if there is "one player" on our team who might not need to max out his value it would be Troy.

You just speculated that he might just hang it up right?

Someone who can walk away from the game altogether and give up ridiculous coin is not driven by money. Contract demands are largely an ego thing. If that guy got this I deserve that. If not you aren't giving me my respect.

"If" Troy is genuinely the person he portrays himself as, he has less need to get his ego stroked than most players.

When signing his last contract, "Polamalu said, "I did not want to be a player who is jumping from team to team." (Of course this is easy to say when you are made the highest paid player in team history).

If Troy is the type of guy who can walk away, he like Bussy will rather finish with an elite team than be lured by the likes of Snyder for ridiculous coin.

Captain Lemming
07-24-2011, 01:22 PM
The one concern I'd have is not whether the Steeler want Troy, or whether the money is right. I worry that there might be one place that he'd rather go to end his career. Nothing to do with money.

I dont know how tied he is to Pittsburgh as a city emotionally. Clearly he loves the team and appreciates the fans. But he is a Cali guy, what if someone like Sandiego were interested? He is FROM THERE (high school in Oregon though) and still LIVES in SanDiego. Did he grow up as a Charger fan? Jr Seau is his good friend today, Colbert compared his game to Seau, I would assume he came up watching the dude as a Charger. The Poly community is huge there too so there may be a cultural factor.

Is he really a "family first" guy? His kids will be starting school soon. If so, that is another powerful motivator.

The very real possibility of contributing to his already talented hometown team winning its first championship?

THAT might be a problem more than the dough.