PDA

View Full Version : Hines Arrested for DUI

calmkiller
07-09-2011, 10:22 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... k-driving/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/09/report-hines-ward-arrested-for-drunk-driving/)

http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/09/hines-war ... -steelers/ (http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/09/hines-ward-dui-arrested-georgia-dancing-with-the-stars-pittsburgh-steelers/)

Report: Hines Ward arrested for drunk driving
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 9, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
Super Bowl XLV Getty Images

Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward is one of the most well-respected players in the NFL. But his reputation may deserve to take a serious hit.

TMZ is reporting that Ward was arrested this morning for driving under the influence of alcohol.

According to the report, Ward was arrested in Dekalb County, Georgia, and held on $1,000 bond. He posted bond shortly after the arrest and was released.

Ward, the reigning Dancing With the Stars champion, grew up in Georgia, went to school there and frequently spends time there during the offseason.

EDIT: Added TMZ link

fordfixer
07-09-2011, 10:24 AM
:?: :?: :?:

aggiebones
07-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Never good when a Steeler makes this type of news.
But let's let this play out a bit.

feltdizz
07-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Don't mess with Georgia....

Discipline of Steel
07-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Crash in 3...2...1

feltdizz
07-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Crash is probably having a party to celebrate the news!!!

It's not officially the off season until a Steeler makes the news!

Chucktownsteeler
07-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Can Czar Roger suspend Hines as this happened during the labor strike?

C-town

Doogie36
07-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Does anyone follow his facebook page? If you don't just this week he posted how dangerous it was to text and drive and how it's a bad habit he's trying to correct. Well Hines drinking and driving is also a bad habit and for the love of GOD please fix that one first!!!!!!!!! AHHHHH this makes me sick to my stomach as Hines is my kids favorite player!

insanesteelersfan
07-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Okay, if the steelers have ANY convictions at all, Hines better get at LEAST a 2 game suspension. I'm not talking from the league. I wanna see Rooney do it. Otherwise he, and the Rooney's have zero credibility. I mean this to me is WAY worse then anything Ben was even accused of. And we all KNOW Hines did this. I mean driving at 3:41 in the morning ??? Nothing good at that time ever happens. So like I said, it's gotta be 2 games, or the Steelers bosses have ZERO Balls!!

Doogie36
07-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Hines should goto the Rooney's himself and request the suspension or in my eyes HE loses credibility as well. This just stinks!!!!!!! Never would expect it to be Hines after all the crap he gave Ben and Santonio!!! I'm just glad we have Sanders and Brown if the suspension does happen.

Sugar
07-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Okay, if the steelers have ANY convictions at all, Hines better get at LEAST a 2 game suspension. I'm not talking from the league. I wanna see Rooney do it. Otherwise he, and the Rooney's have zero credibility. I mean this to me is WAY worse then anything Ben was even accused of. And we all KNOW Hines did this. I mean driving at 3:41 in the morning ??? Nothing good at that time ever happens. So like I said, it's gotta be 2 games, or the Steelers bosses have ZERO Balls!!

Wow, so insane Steelers fan isn't just a nickname. :lol:

grotonsteel
07-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Getting caught in a stolen Honda Civic in LA with a girl was a sign and now this.

Well Hines won't be the moral police anymore. Maybe Ben needs to give it back a bit to Hines Ward for opening his trap last season.

Sugar
07-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Getting caught in a stolen Honda Civic in LA with a girl was a sign and now this.

Well Hines won't be the moral police anymore. Maybe Ben needs to give it back a bit to Hines Ward for opening his trap last season.

Let's hope that Ben is classier than that.

insanesteelersfan
07-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Actually that incident in L.A. was totally bogus. That car was NOT Stolen at all. And the police were totally in the wrong there for handcuffing Ward. So that whole incident is a non-factor. But, driving under the influence...I mean how many people does Hines need to see die at the hands of OTHER NFL players who were driving under the influence ? I mean say what you want about Ben, and his night out in Georgia on his B-Day, at least Ben hired TWO Drivers to haul their party around. I mean that right there showed me Ben has alot more maturity then alot of other Pro Athletes.

hawaiiansteel
07-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Crash in 3...2...1

here's a photo of Crash when he heard the news of Hines' arrest:

but seriously Hines, you've got enough $ to take a cab or a limo...

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/DivaWorksDistribution/images/man_jumping.jpg

grotonsteel
07-09-2011, 04:05 PM

Let's hope that Ben is classier than that.

Ben will never throw his team mates under the bus.

grotonsteel
07-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Actually that incident in L.A. was totally bogus. That car was NOT Stolen at all. And the police were totally in the wrong there for handcuffing Ward. So that whole incident is a non-factor.

I am not saying Hines Ward was the guilty party in that episode. But one has to question Hines Ward on WTH was he doing with a girl in Honda Civic in LA at 2:00 AM in the morning especially when that girl is not your girlfriend.

Now i love Honda Civic..It has great resale value. But which NFL Superstar use that car.

fordfixer
07-09-2011, 04:20 PM
This just in a pic of Hines just before the arrest. If you look close you will see it was our own Angry Asian and not Hines that is causing all the problems.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u62/niqueoh/PlanetSteelers100409Tailgate011.jpg

hawaiiansteel
07-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Steelers' Hines Ward arrested on DUI charge in Georgia

By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Saturday, July 9, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-07-09/wardmug-b.jpg

Steelers star wide receiver and "Dancing With the Stars" champ Hines Ward was arrested early today in Georgia on a drunken driving charge, sheriff's officials said.

The former Super Bowl MVP was booked into the DeKalb County jail just outside Atlanta at 3:41 a.m. and charged with driving under the influence, said Dekalb Sheriff's Sgt. Adrion Bell. He was released at 6:30 a.m. after posting $1,300 bond, Bell said.

Andy Ree, Ward's business manager, said a statement will be released sometime today.

The Steelers are aware of Ward's arrest in Georgia, spokesman Burt Lauten said, but they have no further comment. The Steelers are not allowed to contact Ward because of the NFL lockout.

The league will review the incident after a new labor deal is reached, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. But Ward probably won't be subject to anything more than a fine and some sort of evaluation since first DUI offenses violate the NFL's substance abuse policy but not the league's personal conduct policy.

Social media Web sites including Facebook and Twitter were buzzing today about Ward's arrest.

Steelers free safety Ryan Clark tweeted at around 1:50 p.m.: "Sad to hear about Hines! Still a good man. We all make mistakes and he's a champ & will learn from his. Praise God everyone is safe!"

Opinions on Ward varied on Facebook. Before Ward's official and personal pages disappeared from public view just before 3 p.m., fans weighed in both supporting the wide receiver and condemning his behavior.

"Praying for you Hines...everyone makes mistakes...we love you, learn by it and put it behind you!!!" said Facebook user Sara Silbaugh-Estepp.

Matt Vargo, another Facebook poster, wrote: "All you had to do was call a cab. You dropped the ball, Hines."

On Ward's personal Facebook page, he posted several times yesterday about his "bad habit" of texting while driving.

"How many of you guys and gals text while driving? I am bad at doing that. It's very unsafe. Help remind me from time to time to stop texting, tweeting, or facebook while driving. Let's help each other!" he posted at 11:05 a.m. Friday.

This morning's arrest was Ward's second contact with police in three months.

Ward was handcuffed and detained at gunpoint by Los Angeles police May 5 in North Hollywood when a car in which he was a passenger was reported stolen. The report was out of date and mistakenly still in police records, the LAPD said.

Police said Ward was "very cooperative" and he and the driver were allowed to go.

The sheriff's office did not release any other information about his arrest in Georgia, saying it had turned over paperwork to the courts.

Since being drafted in the third round out of Georgia in 1998, the 35-year-old Ward has been a four-time Pro Bowl selection and won two Super Bowls.

Dancing with professional partner Kym Johnson, Ward in May became the second professional football player to win the "Dancing" crown after Emmitt Smith won in 2006. He bested actresses Kirstie Alley and Chelsea Kane to become the season 12 champion of the TV celebrity dance competition.

Ward was the recipient of the 2011 Art Rooney Award, which honors individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the Pittsburgh area in fields such as business, sports, politics, philanthropy, education and science.

In 2007, Ward was one of four finalists for the NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year Award. Ward was the Steelers' representative for the award that is named after the late, great Chicago Bears tailback and honors excellence both on and off the field.

Ward has been an outspoken advocate for biracial children that face discrimination in South Korea. Ward, whose mother is from South Korea, annually hosts a group of those kids for a Steelers game.

His efforts on the behalf of bi-racial children are a major reason why President Obama appointed Ward to the President's Advisory Commission on Asian American and Pacific Islanders last September.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1RdRtlceq (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_746051.html#ixzz1RdRtlceq)

hawaiiansteel
07-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Hines Ward apologizes for distraction, but says he wasn’t impaired by alcohol

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 9, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/h-wardmugshot.jpg?w=210

Hines Ward, who was released on bond Saturday following a DUI arrest, released a statement through his manager that disputed he was impaired by alcohol when he was pulled over.

Here it goes, courtesy of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

“On July 9th Hines Ward was stopped by Dekalb Co. police for suspicion of misdemeanor driving under the influence. He cooperated fully with the police and truthfully answered all of their questions,” the statement reads. ”We are currently in the process of ascertaining all the facts.

“From our preliminary investigation we can tell you that we are confident that the facts will show that Hines was NOT impaired by alcohol while driving. However, Hines is deeply saddened by this incident and apologizes to his fans and the Steelers organization for this distraction.”

The police that pulled Ward over after 3 a.m. obviously had reason to believe Ward was drinking. A Steelers spokesman said the team and the Rooney family are aware of the arrest.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... y-alcohol/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/09/hines-ward-apologizes-for-distraction-but-says-he-wasnt-impaired-by-alcohol/)

Ozey74
07-09-2011, 06:20 PM
[b] “From our preliminary investigation we can tell you that we are confident that the facts will show that Hines was NOT impaired by alcohol while driving.

How hard can it be? You blow into a machine and your either above or over the limit right?

LordVile
07-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Actually that incident in L.A. was totally bogus. That car was NOT Stolen at all. And the police were totally in the wrong there for handcuffing Ward. So that whole incident is a non-factor.

I am not saying Hines Ward was the guilty party in that episode. But one has to question Hines Ward on WTH was he doing with a girl in Honda Civic in LA at 2:00 AM in the morning especially when that girl is not your girlfriend.

Now i love Honda Civic..It has great resale value. But which NFL Superstar use that car.

he was trying to get LAID, duhhh. and i believe it was the WOMAN's car..... :wink:

NKySteeler
07-09-2011, 09:19 PM
... First off, no other details were released about the incident.... Was he .085 or .385?.... You could toss-back a drink at a wedding reception, jump into your car, and blow positive because it was recently ingested....

We all like Hines, he's one of the true faces of the Steelers, an embassador to Korea, and a Super Bowl MVP.... Does he get a free pass?... No, it was an irresponsible act... But we don't know all the details. He is not a "repeat offender" (meaning this his his FIRST incident)... I would like to think that he is already remorseful regardless of the details, but who knows... All I know is that all Steelers players need to AVOID the state of Georgia because nothing good happens there... LoL!... But it again bears repeating that nothing good ever happens in the early morning hours when out in public...

It also bears noting that the NFL offers a program for every team and every player for a ride home. They all have been given cards with a number nation-wide where they can call and get a ride home in the evening, but according to Sirius NFL Radio, this program was suspended with the lockout. Is this an excuse?... No... But again, NONE of us know the details of the event because they have not been released.

... Also...

He will probably not face too much of a reprocussion due to the fact that there is no current deal between the players and the owners (again, according to the folks on the radio)... If the CBA was current and in effect, he would be relegated to testing up to 10 times a month, talks with a pshrink, and mandated into a alcohol program.....

.... He is lucky he didn't hurt himself, or someone else... Remember that WR down in Miami that plowed a guy and served some time?

No excuse, but also no judgement from me because I don't know all the details...

hawaiiansteel
07-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Lounge Legal Dept.: Hines Ward Gets Busted for DUI

Posted on July 9, 2011 by lounge legal dept.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/lldept-300x147.png

Jeremy Clark is an attorney and a Steelers fan. He also runs the Lounge Legal Department which needs to be called on due to Hines Ward’s recent trouble in Georgia. Take it away, Jeremy…

As I’m sure most of you have heard by now Hines Ward was the winner of the first Steelers player to get arrested this summer contest. While I am usually not surprised when athletes get in trouble, this was a bit of a shock. I guess he just struck me as smarter than your average NFL player. Oh well.

Here is my initial analysis of the Georgia DUI laws:

First, like a typical lawyer, I need to lead off with a disclaimer: I am not licensed to practice law in the state of Georgia, nor do I typically practice criminal law in Pennsylvania. I have been trained to read laws and explain them to people (and have the student loans to prove it) so that’s all I am doing here.

Under the Georgia DUI statute (O.C.G.A. § 40-6-391) it would appear that Hines is probably not in too much legal trouble. PR trouble is another matter. While all the media sources I have read state that this was a “drunken driving charge,” the Georgia law that seems to apply is concerned with “Driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or other intoxicating substances….” So it is possible that Hines was doing more than throwing back some brews, but let’s just assume that he didn’t go Santonio on us and that he was in fact drunk.

In Georgia, a person is driving drunk when their blood alcohol level is over a 0.08%. First and second offenses are misdemeanors, the third is an aggravated misdemeanor, while the fourth and any more (really, are you that stupid?) are felonies. In determining the number of offenses, Georgia has a “look back period” of 10 years (the same as Pennsylvania). I don’t remember hearing about two other DUIs with Hines so I think we are safe to assume this will be a misdemeanor.

The penalties for a misdemeanor DUI are: (1) a fine between $300 and $1000; (2) 10 days to 12 months in prison; (3) 40 hours of community service; (4) attendance at a DUI avoidance program; (5) substance abuse evaluation and, if recommended by evaluators, treatment, and finally (6) probation for up to 12 months (total incarceration and probation time not to exceed 12 months).

As an added wrinkle the Judge may waive the jail time. If the person had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% or higher he must serve a minimum of 24 hours in jail. Otherwise, the entire jail term may be waived by the Judge and is entirely at his or her discretion.

So, with that last caveat it would seem that Hines will likely spend a day in jail (maybe he could ask some Ravens or Bengals players for packing tips) pay some fines, pick up trash or do an infomercial for the state of Georgia then be on his way. The only real concern here is the probation requirement.

For those 12 months he had better be a total boyscout as a probation violation gets you in trouble very fast.

Let’s hope this is the last big Steelers news until we are addressing free agents once the lockout is over.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/07/l ... #more-5838 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/07/lounge-legal-dept-hines-ward-busted-dui/#more-5838)

BURGH86STEEL
07-10-2011, 01:41 PM
I will never understand why players don't use better judgement in these kinds of situations. I guess the little voice in their head says, "it will never happen to me."

Shoe
07-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Does anyone follow his facebook page? If you don't just this week he posted how dangerous it was to text and drive and how it's a bad habit he's trying to correct. Well Hines drinking and driving is also a bad habit and for the love of GOD please fix that one first!!!!!!!!! AHHHHH this makes me sick to my stomach as Hines is my kids favorite player!

At the same time, let's not get too sanctimonious here. How many of us have had drinks (e.g. at dinner), then driven home. (Don't act like you've never done it.) Or checked a text message while behind the wheel? Or for that matter, been dozing off while coming home from work.

aggiebones
07-10-2011, 08:19 PM
He's a football player. Why really would we expect him to be above a normal citizen? We do stupid stuff all the time, so thus will football players. They actually have more money to get themselves into bad situations. A shame about Hones, but he is still a tough SOB football player. He is not my role model, never was, but I do like him and would probably enjoy a few beers with him. Senators, ministors, scout leaders, parents, everybody makes mistakes.

feltdizz
07-10-2011, 09:35 PM

The girl reported her car stolen when a valet couldn't find it earlier that night and forgot to tell the police when they found it.

He has had enough run-ins with the police to keep his mouth shut for a while though...

Notleadpoisoned
07-11-2011, 07:48 AM
A Hines suspension just opens up that window of opportunity for Sanders, Brown, and maybe even Sweed (cough) to show what they can really do. Someone has to succeed an aging Hines anyhow so maybe it's better that happens sooner than later.

RuthlessBurgher
07-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Are suspensions possible for Ward, Jones?
July, 11, 2011 By James Walker

Recent off-the-field trouble for Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward and Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Adam Jones could present a pair of interesting cases for the NFL. Both players were arrested over the weekend in separate incidents.

But the NFL is in the midst of the lockout where the league's collective bargaining agreement and personal conduct policies are not active. Still, commissioner Roger Goodell said the league plans to hold players accountable for getting in trouble this offseason, and it's unknown if this is something the players' union would care to contest.

But it appears Ward and Jones have the potential to land in hot water this summer. Still, both players find themselves in different spots.

This is the first brush with the law for Ward, who was arrested and charged with driving under the influence early Saturday in Georgia. Ward's clean record helps his case tremendously, and it's rare that the league comes down hard on first-time offenders. Therefore, it would be surprising if Ward is forced to miss any games.

Jones, on the other hand, could be in big trouble if found guilty of disorderly conduct. He was already suspended by the NFL for the entire 2007 season and part of the 2008 season for prior incidents. Jones also has been arrested six times the past several years and is down to his last strike. Another conviction could lead to the end of Jones' career in the NFL.

Another interesting wrinkle is Ward and Jones believe they were not in the wrong. It could take a while for all the details to be released in both cases. So this may not be settled overnight.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/29069/are-suspensions-possible-for-ward-jones

BradshawsHairdresser
07-11-2011, 04:00 PM
OK, Crash isn't here anymore, so I'll be the one to dare to ask:

Since Hiney's production is dropping, he's got a pretty large salary, and the youngsters are emerging, is it time to let him go?

Understand, I'm not a Hines-hater. I am extremely grateful for his contributions to this team over the years. Yet, I understand we are probably some $10 million over the salary cap... will cutting Ward loose help that situation much?

RuthlessBurgher
07-11-2011, 04:21 PM

Since Hiney's production is dropping, he's got a pretty large salary, and the youngsters are emerging, is it time to let him go?

Understand, I'm not a Hines-hater. I am extremely grateful for his contributions to this team over the years. Yet, I understand we are probably some $10 million over the salary cap... will cutting Ward loose help that situation much?

We don't know what the salary cap is yet, nor how it can be massaged via restructuring to make contracts fit. For example, Woodley is currently counting as getting the full value of the franchise tag, but if we sign him to a long term deal, his cap number for this year might drop from that franchise value. I'd imagine that, in addition to Hines, other aging vets such as Aaron Smith, Flozell Adams, and James Farrior are consideration to have their salaries potentially reduced. We might be able to work it so that all 4 of them are able to stick around this year, but all 4 may go bye-bye next offseason when we also have to re-sign Timmons and Polamalu as well.

hawaiiansteel
07-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Updated: July 11, 2011

Cops: Hines Ward failed sobriety tests

Associated Press

ATLANTA -- Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward had glassy, bloodshot eyes and failed field sobriety tests during a traffic stop in Atlanta that landed him a drunken driving charge, according to a police report released Monday.

A transit police officer pulled Ward over just before 2:30 a.m. Saturday after he left his lane and at one point hit a curb in his gray Aston Martin, the report says. The transit police officer called a DeKalb County police officer, who wrote in the report that the former Super Bowl MVP and reigning "Dancing With the Stars" champ smelled strongly of alcohol.

Ward told the officer he had had two bottles of Corona beer three hours earlier at an establishment in the city's Buckhead neighborhood.

The officer asked him to get out of the car and administered a series of field sobriety tests, including a hand-held breath test that registered positive for alcohol, the report said. Ward later refused to give a breath sample on a state-administered machine at the DeKalb County jail, police spokeswoman Mekka Parish said. That test is used to determine a person's level of intoxication and can be used as evidence in court.

Ward swayed back and forth and became agitated during the sobriety tests, the report says. He also could not keep his balance and mixed up and omitted letters in the alphabet, the report says.

Atlanta lawyer Andrew Ree on Saturday released a statement saying the 35-year-old Ward was not impaired by alcohol while driving and cooperated fully with police. Ree said in an email Monday that he stands by the earlier statement and had no further comment.

After failing several field sobriety tests, Ward was arrested and booked into the DeKalb County jail and was later released on bond. He asked that his car be released to his passenger, Cory Allen, the report says.

Video from inside the DeKalb officer's vehicle captured the traffic stop, but police declined Monday to release the video because the case is still active.

Ward is set to appear Oct. 6 in DeKalb County State Court. He faces a misdemeanor driving under the influence charge, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Since being drafted in the third round out of Georgia in 1998, Ward has been a four-time Pro Bowl selection, playing on teams that won two Super Bowls.

Dancing with professional partner Kym Johnson, Ward in May became the second professional football player to win the "Dancing" crown after Emmitt Smith won in 2006. He bested actresses Kirstie Alley and Chelsea Kane to become the season 12 champion of the TV celebrity dance competition.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6758738

insanesteelersfan
07-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Updated: July 11, 2011

Cops: Hines Ward failed sobriety tests

Associated Press

ATLANTA -- Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward had glassy, bloodshot eyes and failed field sobriety tests during a traffic stop in Atlanta that landed him a drunken driving charge, according to a police report released Monday.

A transit police officer pulled Ward over just before 2:30 a.m. Saturday after he left his lane and at one point hit a curb in his gray Aston Martin, the report says. The transit police officer called a DeKalb County police officer, who wrote in the report that the former Super Bowl MVP and reigning "Dancing With the Stars" champ smelled strongly of alcohol.

Ward told the officer he had had two bottles of Corona beer three hours earlier at an establishment in the city's Buckhead neighborhood.

The officer asked him to get out of the car and administered a series of field sobriety tests, including a hand-held breath test that registered positive for alcohol, the report said. Ward later refused to give a breath sample on a state-administered machine at the DeKalb County jail, police spokeswoman Mekka Parish said. That test is used to determine a person's level of intoxication and can be used as evidence in court.

Ward swayed back and forth and became agitated during the sobriety tests, the report says. He also could not keep his balance and mixed up and omitted letters in the alphabet, the report says.

Atlanta lawyer Andrew Ree on Saturday released a statement saying the 35-year-old Ward was not impaired by alcohol while driving and cooperated fully with police. Ree said in an email Monday that he stands by the earlier statement and had no further comment.

After failing several field sobriety tests, Ward was arrested and booked into the DeKalb County jail and was later released on bond. He asked that his car be released to his passenger, Cory Allen, the report says.

Video from inside the DeKalb officer's vehicle captured the traffic stop, but police declined Monday to release the video because the case is still active.

Ward is set to appear Oct. 6 in DeKalb County State Court. He faces a misdemeanor driving under the influence charge, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Since being drafted in the third round out of Georgia in 1998, Ward has been a four-time Pro Bowl selection, playing on teams that won two Super Bowls.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6758738

But I am sure Ward's Lawyer will go to the " Race Card " when trying to defend Ward. Saying that the Police are lying. Just trying to make themselves look good by arresting a High Profile Athlete like Ward....yeah right :roll: I mean out at Damn near 4 in the morning. And refusing a State issued sobriety test tells me ALL I need to know. I mean no this does not make Ward a bad person. But it does make him a very stupid person. And without a doubt he deserves at least a 2 game suspension. I mean will these Idiots ever learn that each year over 200,000 Innocent people get KILLED by drivers who had been drinking ??/....200,000 a year people. But like I said, I am sure the " Race Card " will be a comin'.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-11-2011, 09:39 PM
calm down.

nobody is getting a 2 game suspension.

feltdizz
07-11-2011, 10:12 PM
But I am sure Ward's Lawyer will go to the " Race Card " when trying to defend Ward. Saying that the Police are lying. Just trying to make themselves look good by arresting a High Profile Athlete like Ward....yeah right :roll: I mean out at Damn near 4 in the morning. And refusing a State issued sobriety test tells me ALL I need to know. I mean no this does not make Ward a bad person. But it does make him a very stupid person. And without a doubt he deserves at least a 2 game suspension. I mean will these Idiots ever learn that each year over 200,000 Innocent people get KILLED by drivers who had been drinking ??/....200,000 a year people. But like I said, I am sure the " Race Card " will be a comin'.

Steeler fans don't let Steeler fans use the "Race Card" Card... :nono

:wft are you talking about Crash... oops, I mean dude?

RuthlessBurgher
07-11-2011, 11:27 PM
There was a passenger in Hines' car who was sober enough that the police allowed him to leave the scene, driving away in the Aston Martin???

:wft

Why wasn't that dude driving in the first place?

:HeadBanger

fordfixer
07-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Witnesses: Hines Ward Didn't Look Drunk to Us
http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/10/hines-war ... y-georgia/ (http://www.tmz.com/2011/07/10/hines-ward-arrested-dui-drinking-dancing-with-the-stars-pittsburgh-steelers-dekalb-county-georgia/)
7/10/2011 12:57 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

Witnesses at two different Georgia bars tell TMZ ... they spotted Hines Ward just hours before he was arrested for DUI ... and they all say the "DWTS" champ showed no signs of being drunk.

TMZ spoke with employees and patrons at two places -- Oasis Gentleman's Club and Buckhead Bottle Bar & Restaurant.

A witness at Oasis (an establishment where young ladies work to put themselves through nursing school) tells TMZ ... Hines was not drinking heavily, did not want to be bothered, and seemed genuinely "disinterested." The witness said Ward was only there from 9-10:00 PM.

The lovely young lady who answered the phone at Oasis confirmed she saw Ward that night.

And another witness says he saw Ward at the Buckhead Bottle Bar. A waiter there tells TMZ Hines was at the bar for a few hours, but only had one or two drinks. The employee said Hines was super nice, not drunk at all, and did not appear to have any problems walking or talking.

The waiter says Ward left at around 1:30 AM. He was popped for DUI approximately four miles away, an hour later.

Ward maintains he was not impaired by alcohol at the time he was arrested.

Slapstick
07-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Why not just show the dashboard cam footage of the police arrest?

feltdizz
07-12-2011, 09:20 AM
There was a passenger in Hines' car who was sober enough that the police allowed him to leave the scene, driving away in the Aston Martin???

Why wasn't that dude driving in the first place?

:HeadBanger

because it's an Aston Martin!

"From my cold drunk hands..."

BradshawsHairdresser
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM

We don't know what the salary cap is yet, nor how it can be massaged via restructuring to make contracts fit. For example, Woodley is currently counting as getting the full value of the franchise tag, but if we sign him to a long term deal, his cap number for this year might drop from that franchise value. I'd imagine that, in addition to Hines, other aging vets such as Aaron Smith, Flozell Adams, and James Farrior are consideration to have their salaries potentially reduced. We might be able to work it so that all 4 of them are able to stick around this year, but all 4 may go bye-bye next offseason when we also have to re-sign Timmons and Polamalu as well.

Might it not be better to cut somebody loose this year, instead of waiting until next year to axe all four of them? Could it be time to tell Hines to dance on out of the 'Burgh?

RuthlessBurgher
07-12-2011, 12:10 PM
I think we may end up axing all 4 of them next year regardless, just because of Father Time creeping up on them. At this point next year, Hines and Aaron will both be 36 and Hotel and Potsie will both be 37.

aggiebones
07-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Aaron, James and Hines will all be given 1 more year probably and let them go on their own terms.
We don't owe Adams much. He came and did great and got paid pretty well. I say give him another run at it if he accepts a bit of a cut. Then he's gone too next year.

With a shortened offseason, its best to ride the veterans.

Oviedo
07-12-2011, 12:27 PM

No way Hines is a cap casualty when he is so close to 1,000 catches. The Rooney's won't take that away from him as a Steeler milestone and something he needs to do to add to his HoF resume.

IMO Aaron Smith should get renegotiated for a significantly less salary. He will likely be nothing but a rotational player.

Adams won't come back for $5M and will have to take less. That creates a real problem at RT and may force Marcus Gilbert to be ready to play sooner because we aren't if sure if Colon will be back or if he could even play at the level required coming off his injury. Other option would be have Jon Scott step in at RT hoping Starks is 100% for LT, but we still have to resign Scott too. Kugler has his work cut out for himself again this season.

Farrior will be expected to play full time and I doubt they go after his salaray. Foote actually carries a pretty hefty salary ($2.4M+) for a back up so he may have to take a cut.

D Rock
07-12-2011, 12:40 PM
If Hines failed the field sobriety tests....then release the video and prove it.

If Hines failed the field breathalyzer....then release his BAC reading and prove it.

All the police report said was that it picked up alcohol in his system. And that he failed their field tests. That doesn't necessarily make him drunk or over any legal limit.

This evidence will all come out in court, and I have a feeling Hines will be cleared. If there was a real case then the evidence would be out to show it. Breathalyzer BAC readings get released all the time when celebrities get DUI charges...why not this time?

feltdizz
07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
If Hines failed the field sobriety tests....then release the video and prove it.

If Hines failed the field breathalyzer....then release his BAC reading and prove it.

All the police report said was that it picked up alcohol in his system. And that he failed their field tests. That doesn't necessarily make him drunk or over any legal limit.

This evidence will all come out in court, and I have a feeling Hines will be cleared. If there was a real case then the evidence would be out to show it. Breathalyzer BAC readings get released all the time when celebrities get DUI charges...why not this time?

probably because Hines has his lawyers working to get it thrown out or reduced.

I don't want this going to court or getting blown out of proportion. Pay the fine, apologize and keep it moving.

The tape will be viewed and destroyed like all tapes do in this new NFL :wink:

Oviedo
07-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Since this is Georgia he could be charged with DWB--Driving While Black. One of the key determinants is if the accused has a better car and makes more money than the investigating officer. :stirpot

BradshawsHairdresser
07-12-2011, 01:18 PM
No way Hines is a cap casualty when he is so close to 1,000 catches. The Rooney's won't take that away from him as a Steeler milestone and something he needs to do to add to his HoF resume.

IMO Aaron Smith should get renegotiated for a significantly less salary. He will likely be nothing but a rotational player.

Adams won't come back for $5M and will have to take less. That creates a real problem at RT and may force Marcus Gilbert to be ready to play sooner because we aren't if sure if Colon will be back or if he could even play at the level required coming off his injury. Other option would be have Jon Scott step in at RT hoping Starks is 100% for LT, but we still have to resign Scott too. Kugler has his work cut out for himself again this season.

Farrior will be expected to play full time and I doubt they go after his salaray. Foote actually carries a pretty hefty salary ($2.4M+) for a back up so he may have to take a cut.
See, I think the argument could be made that, for the best of the team, Hines oughta be dropped and the money used to keep Adams onboard for one more season.

But I wouldn't be too surprised if Aaron Smith retired before the season, and Foote dropped, so maybe all of this is needless speculation anyway.

As far as suspension, if I were Commish, and Hines is found guilty of DUI, he'd be gone for a 2-game minimum. If I were coach of the Steelers, and the Commish didn't take care of it, I'd sit Hines' sorry ar$$e. And yes, I realize it's his first offense. I'd favor a zero-tolerance policy. . .maybe it would keep one of these players from pulling another "Donte Stallworth," and we would have one less fatality due to drunk driving. I lost one of my best friends to a drunk driver--my friend was only 25 at the time. The killer is now living the good life while my friend is pushing up daisies.

Oviedo
07-12-2011, 01:44 PM

See, I think the argument could be made that, for the best of the team, Hines oughta be dropped and the money used to keep Adams onboard for one more season.

But I wouldn't be too surprised if Aaron Smith retired before the season, and Foote dropped, so maybe all of this is needless speculation anyway.

As far as suspension, if I were Commish, and Hines is found guilty of DUI, he'd be gone for a 2-game minimum. If I were coach of the Steelers, and the Commish didn't take care of it, I'd sit Hines' sorry ar$$e. And yes, I realize it's his first offense. I'd favor a zero-tolerance policy. . .maybe it would keep one of these players from pulling another "Donte Stallworth," and we would have one less fatality due to drunk driving. I lost one of my best friends to a drunk driver--my friend was only 25 at the time. The killer is now living the good life while my friend is pushing up daisies.

Hines is a first time offender. I think under the policy he could not be suspended. I'm curious to see if Goodell's powers are limited under the new cba

insanesteelersfan
07-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Hines may not warrent a suspension from the league. But the Rooney's have publically placed themselves ABOVE the league by suspending Santonio when his offense was not a league mandated suspension. And what Ward did is worse cause it kills more people every year then any other offense. So there HAS to be accountability, otherwise what the team did to a totally uncharged and Innocent Ben makes them look like Hypocrites.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Hines may not warrent a suspension from the league. But the Rooney's have publically placed themselves ABOVE the league by suspending Santonio when his offense was not a league mandated suspension. And what Ward did is worse cause it kills more people every year then any other offense. So there HAS to be accountability, otherwise what the team did to a totally uncharged and Innocent Ben makes them look like Hypocrites.

If Hines is indeed guilty of DUI, I agree 100%.

Oviedo
07-12-2011, 05:11 PM
I'm betting this ends up as a reckless driving or similar charge.

hawaiiansteel
07-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Hines may not warrent a suspension from the league. But the Rooney's have publically placed themselves ABOVE the league by suspending Santonio when his offense was not a league mandated suspension.

Santonio Holmes was suspended without pay for the first four regular season games of the 2010 season by the NFL for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

the Rooneys did not suspend him...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Hines may not warrent a suspension from the league. But the Rooney's have publically placed themselves ABOVE the league by suspending Santonio when his offense was not a league mandated suspension.

Santonio Holmes was suspended without pay for the first four regular season games of the 2010 season by the NFL for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

the Rooneys did not suspend him...

The team suspended him for one game in 2008 for being caught with drugs. The game was against the Giants and we lost a close game in the 4th Q after new LS James Harrison sailed the ball out of the end zone.

Many criticized the team for suspending Holmes after the league did nothing, but the issue disappeared quickly afterwards instead of lingering throughout the rest of the season.

After the 2009 season the team was informed that Holmes would miss the first 4 games of '10 for a violation. He then went twitter crazy on the fans and was shipped for a fifth rounder.

feltdizz
07-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Do "Steeler fans" really want to see first time offenders on the Steelers suspended just because of Ben and Holmes?

BradshawsHairdresser
07-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Do "Steeler fans" really want to see first time offenders on the Steelers suspended just because of Ben and Holmes?

I want to see first time DUI offenders suspended on the Steelers--and every other team--because drunk driving KILLS. These are not teenagers, they are men, well-paid professionals...if they can't grow up and take responsibility for their actions, they need to get out of the league, IMO.

hawaiiansteel
07-16-2011, 02:49 AM
Steelers WR Ward Facebooks DUI comment

By Mark Kaboly, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, July 16, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-07-15/0716WardCAP-a.jpg

Steelers receiver Hines Ward said Friday he is leaving his DUI arrest in Georgia in his attorney's hands and thanked fans for their support during the past week.

Ward made his first public comments about his arrest on his Facebook page.

"Fans — I appreciate all the love and support," Ward wrote. "Thank you! It means a lot to me. I have a great respect for the legal system and am leaving things in the hands of my attorney. I can't wait for football. I've been working out hard. I want to get back to the big show again this year. We have some unfinished business to take care of. So we will be ready to go when we are given the Green light. Here we go!"

Police in DeKalb County, Ga., stopped Ward, 35, early last Saturday morning after watching his Aston Martin swerve and hit a curb.

According to the police report, Ward's blood-alcohol level was .128. The legal limit in Georgia is .80.

Ward's business manager, Andrew Ree, released a statement last week saying his client "was not impaired by alcohol while driving."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1SEym8doF (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_746913.html#ixzz1SEym8doF)

Eich
07-16-2011, 10:11 AM
According to the police report, Ward's blood-alcohol level was .128. The legal limit in Georgia is .80.

So you can drink 'till you're dead in Georgia? !!!!

D Rock
07-16-2011, 10:40 AM

So you can drink 'till you're dead in Georgia? !!!!

you know I read that and something seemed off, but I didn't bother to look more into it.

Does that limit apply to girls under 21 who are DTF as well?

In all seriousness... a BAC of .128 for someone of Hines's size, according to all the BAC calculators I found, is a large number of drinks. If that is the true number, then it's not a situation where you had 2 beers with dinner and got pulled over. To blow a .128...that would take a level of drinking with which it would be obvious you shouldn't drive.

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2011, 07:04 PM
On the Steelers: Ward confident DUI situation 'will work out'

Saturday, July 30, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201107/20110730steelers9_330.jpg

Steelers wide receiver Hines Wards sat out Friday's afternoon practice at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

Wide receiver Hines Ward built what some day could be a Hall of Fame career through discipline and dedication and he put more of that on display Friday. Not by playing football, though.

Ward, speaking publicly for the first time since his DUI arrest July 9 in his home state of Georgia, said he put the case into his attorney's hands and believes there will be a favorable outcome for him. Asked many times by many reporters the same question, he stuck to the same answer.

"I'm just leaving it in my attorney's hands," Ward said. "I can't really talk much about the situation because it's still under investigation and all that stuff. But I'm confident everything will work out at the end. That's pretty much all I can say about that. I'm just waiting for my day in court and see what happens."

A hearing is scheduled Oct. 6 in DeKalb County, Ga.

"It was something I wish I never put myself in that position," Ward said, "but like I said, I'm just leaving it in my attorneys hands and I'm confident in the end everything will work out."

Ward, who opened training camp on the physically-unable-to-perform list with an injured thumb, said his teammates have been supportive.

"Yeah, we're a brotherhood. I talked to some of the guys, spoke about it. I don't think this is going to be a distraction. I think we have other things to worry about. This is the first time we came together since the loss in the Super Bowl. I think there are other things to worry about than that."

He said he has not heard anything from the NFL office about it. Steelers president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin talked to him about it, but really had little to say.

"I think they have other issues to worry about than that," Ward said. "We're trying to put a team together."

It's not likely that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell would suspend Ward, who has no previous incidents in violation of the league's personal conduct policy. The Steelers' career receiving leader in most every category including four Pro Bowls noted his clean record through the years as well.

"Going into my 14th year, I've been a positive guy. I don't think this one incident is going to change who I am as a person. My mom, she was fine. I'm going to continue to be the same guy. It was an unfortunate incident and like I said, I'm going to get my day in court."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/11 ... z1TcntCwIe (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/1164042-66-0.stm#ixzz1TcntCwIe)