PDA

View Full Version : Assessing the Steelers Backup Quarterback Options

hawaiiansteel
07-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Assessing the Steelers Backup Quarterback Options

by Michael Bean on Jul 6, 2011

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1546138/69482_Panthers_Steelers_Football.jpg

10 months ago: Pittsburgh Steelers quarterbacks, from left to right, Ben Roethlisberger (7), Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon, and Charlie Batch, right rear, warm up before an NFL preseason football game against the Carolina Panthers in Pittsburgh, Thursday, Sept. 2, 2010. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

At this time last year, Steeler Nation was engaged in a healthy debate about the competition for the starting quarterback job while Ben Roethlisberger served a four-game suspension to start the season. Many hoped Dennis Dixon would win the competition during training camp and the preseason; others argued for the more experienced Byron Leftwich, who rose to the occasion and delivered a much-needed win for the Steelers during his lone significant appearance during the 2008 season. Ivan Cole even made the case for Charlie Batch before the calendar turned to September, a prescient perspective it turned out, though not one most had given much thought to.Turns out we got to see all three in action before Roethlisberger's returned to face the Cleveland Browns in Week 6 after the team's bye week.

Fast forward to this year. With the lockout in place for over four months, we still didn't really even find it all that important to talk about the quarterback situation despite having all the time in the world to speculate about backup position battles.

Of course, Big Ben faces no suspension to start the season, and obviously he's proven himself to be one of the league's very best quarterbacks. But you still never know what the future holds in the violent NFL. For a team with legitimate Super Bowl chances in 2011, it's important to make sure there's contingency plan(s) in place at the most important position.

So what are the backup quarterback options at the Steelers' disposal? The team's website still lists the same trio of Dixon, Leftwich and Batch on the roster, but only Leftwich's situation is cut and dry.

The 36-year old Batch achieved cult legend status last season when he guided the Steelers to a 2-1 record in emergency duty, but as of now, he's not under contract. Not that it would take him eons to get prepared physically, but it's worth noting that he probably hasn't spent nearly as much time working out this offseason due to his responsibilities as the Steelers player rep in the CBA negotiations. More importantly, it's hard to imagine the Steelers keeping four quarterbacks on the roster under any circumstance. Big Ben is one, Leftwich, who has one year remaining on his two-year deal, will be in the mix. Then there's Dennis Dixon, who was offered a restricted free agent tender just days before the lockout. With just three years of accrued service, there's zero chance that Dixon will be anything buy a restricted free agent under the provisions of any new CBA.

Batch's situation would be helped by another team making a bid on Dixon and the Steelers allowing him to walk. That would allow Batch to slide in to the No. 3 role, earn a paycheck, serve more as a coach than anything, but be available just in case Roethlisberger got injured, followed by Leftwich either also getting injured or struggling mightily.

Hopefully all of this is a moot point and Big Ben will play a full season and at a high level. That's a fairly safe bet despite the fact that he's taken plenty of beatings in and out of the pocket the past four seasons. But it's hard to infer with any sort of certainty just how well his foot might be feeling at this point in time. He'll be ready to play and he'll fight through any pain he might be experiencing. That's what Big Ben does. But still, as I mentioned at the outset, teams with complete rosters have to have a safety valve at QB, even if their No. 1 guy has a track record of durability.

So, what do you think will shake out at the backup QB position?

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

Oviedo
07-06-2011, 07:44 AM
I'll take Ben, Lefty, and Batch.

I have no interest in Dixon at all. Batch on the sideline can act like an extra coach. Dixon offers nothing as the #3 QB and never will.

Notleadpoisoned
07-06-2011, 08:10 AM
I'll take Ben, Lefty, and Batch.

I have no interest in Dixon at all. Batch on the sideline can act like an extra coach. Dixon offers nothing as the #3 QB and never will.
Agreed. Dixon, Pete Gonzalez, Anthony Wright, Tee Martin, etc. are all pretty much the same calibre of backup QB's that never seem to amount to damn thing.

papillon
07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Well, I'll take a different approach just to be cantankerous and argumentative. :moon If we keep Lefty as #2 he also provides veteran leadership, so, I'll keep Dixon over Batch and maybe use him for some out of the normal offensive packages.

Ben, Lefty, Dixon

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
07-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Well, I'll take a different approach just to be cantankerous and argumentative. :moon If we keep Lefty as #2 he also provides veteran leadership, so, I'll keep Dixon over Batch and maybe use him for some out of the normal offensive packages.

Ben, Lefty, Dixon

Pappy

:Agree

Batch can always be signed off the street if we are in dire straits.

Mister Pittsburgh
07-06-2011, 10:24 AM
I would get rid of Batch and Dixon. Keep Lefty as the #2. Bring in someone off this list that is youngish.....

Marc Bulger (UFA) - Baltimore
David Carr (UFA) - San Francisco
Kellen Clemens (UFA) - NY Jets
Kerry Collins (UFA) - Tennessee
Todd Collins (UFA) - Chicago
Brodie Croyle (UFA) - Kansas City
Dennis Dixon (RFA) - Pittsburgh
Trent Edwards (UFA) - Jacksonville
Brett Favre (UFA) - Minnesota
Charlie Frye (UFA) - Oakland
Bruce Gradkowski (UFA) - Oakland
Chris Greisen (UFA) - Dallas
Rex Grossman (UFA) - Washington
Caleb Hanie (RFA) - Chicago
Matt Hasselbeck (UFA) - Seattle
Tarvaris Jackson (UFA) - Minnesota
Matt Leinart (UFA) - Houston
J.P. Losman (UFA) - Seattle
Peyton Manning (UFA) - Indianapolis
Luke McCown (UFA) - Jacksonville
Matt Moore (UFA) - Carolina
J.T. O'Sullivan (UFA) - Oakland
Jordan Palmer (RFA) - Cincinnati
Chad Pennington (UFA) - Miami
Patrick Ramsey (UFA) - Minnesota
Chris Simms (UFA) - Tennessee
Alex Smith (UFA) - San Francisco
Troy Smith (RFA) - San Francisco
Jim Sorgi (UFA) - NY Giants
Brian St. Pierre (UFA) - Carolina
Drew Stanton (UFA) - Detroit
Tyler Thigpen (UFA) - Miami
Michael Vick (UFA) - Philadelphia
Billy Volek (UFA) - San Diego
Seneca Wallace (UFA) - Cleveland

Oviedo
07-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Ben, Lefty, Dixon

Pappy

You can't use Dixon that way because on game day the only way you can use your #3 QB is if you lose #1 and #2 to injury. Our #3 dresses as the emergency and not a real rostered player on gameday so using Dixon for "packages" would be impossible to do. That is the issue. Therefore Dixon offers little to no value unless you think he could supplant Leftwich which I don't.

Flasteel
07-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Ben, Lefty, Dixon

Pappy

You can't use Dixon that way because on game day the only way you can use your #3 QB is if you lose #1 and #2 to injury. Our #3 dresses as the emergency and not a real rostered player on gameday so using Dixon for "packages" would be impossible to do. That is the issue. Therefore Dixon offers little to no value unless you think he could supplant Leftwich which I don't.

We could still use him for special packages run in the 4th quarter, but I agree with you brother. The real question for me is which one of them could lead this team to victory, if they had to. I think most of us would argue to keep Lefty as the number 2 guy, so there's no need go on about him.

To me, Batch has proven his worth every time that challenge has been presented to him (injuries not withstanding). He brings so much to the table in terms of his presence that he's an asset to this team, even with a clipboard in his hands. He's a leader on this team and you don't generally go around kicking those kind of guys to the curb.

Dixon has talent, but as a starting quarterback, I'm just not sold yet. Let the guy have a chance to play somewhere else.

ikestops85
07-06-2011, 12:02 PM

Ben, Lefty, Dixon

Pappy

Use Dixon as the #2 on game days so he can be in on special packages. If Ben gets hurt for the next game then start Lefty and Dixon remains the #2 guy.

I don't know whether Dixon will be a good QB in the NFL. I do know he won't be one for the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have Ben and Dixon will never replace him. Dixon is very athletic and while he is on the team we should use him in a "slash/wildcat" type role. Dixon will leave through free agency as soon as he is allowed so lets use him while we can.

We need to use the weapons we have on offense and Dixon is one of those weapons. Yes, this is a dig against Arians. :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I would get rid of Batch and Dixon. Keep Lefty as the #2. Bring in someone off this list that is youngish.....

That Manning fellow might be interesting. However, he is not youngish. :wink:

Oviedo
07-06-2011, 03:06 PM

That Manning fellow might be interesting. However, he is not youngish. :wink:

What about that Brett Favre guy? Is he any good?

hawaiiansteel
07-06-2011, 04:29 PM

although Brett Favre probably feels the need to get another interception out of his system, I'm not sure he would want to play for the Steelers. do we have any good looking massage therapists or female reporters?

Slapstick
07-07-2011, 08:23 AM
It all depends upon how you list Dixon on the roster...

Back in the day, Kordell was permitted to line up at QB (and even have a radio in his helmet) but was co-listed as WR....

Same thing with Randle El more recently...he was listed as emergency #3 QB but started games at WR....

Flasteel
07-07-2011, 12:29 PM
It all depends upon how you list Dixon on the roster...

Back in the day, Kordell was permitted to line up at QB (and even have a radio in his helmet) but was co-listed as WR....

Same thing with Randle El more recently...he was listed as emergency #3 QB but started games at WR....

The league wouldn't let you get away with listing Dixon at another position, since he was drafted as a quarterback and has only played that position his entire career. They look at it as circumnavigating the emergency quarterback rules, since it is basically a roster exemption. Randle El can be listed as the emergency quarterback, but if he were to line up in that position at any point before the 4th quarter, then Ben and our number 2 guy could not re-enter the game. I guess it's a pretty subjective process, but I understand the league reviews these designations each week and looks for teams that might be trying to get around the rule.

DukieBoy
07-07-2011, 02:04 PM

Ben, Lefty, Dixon

Pappy

I wonder if the Steelers could release Batch as a player, hire him to the coaching staff, and then if needed re-sign him as a player during the season.

RuthlessBurgher
07-07-2011, 03:08 PM

Ben, Lefty, Dixon

Pappy

I wonder if the Steelers could release Batch as a player, hire him to the coaching staff, and then if needed re-sign him as a player during the season.

I'm worried that our secondary play may be so poor, they may need to dress Carnell Lake for a few games.

Steel Life
07-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Let's look at this realistically, here's the list of these "available" QBs broken down as it should be looked at...

No Way - Retired:
Kerry Collins (UFA)
Brett Favre (UFA)
Chad Pennington (UFA)

No Way - Starters (or Wanna-be's):
Marc Bulger (UFA) - He's going to the Cards or somewhere he can get a starting shot.
Rex Grossman (UFA) - Due to short training camp, re-sign with the Redskins to challenge McNabb et al..
Matt Hasselbeck (UFA) - Either re-signing with Seattle or somewhere he can get a starting shot.
Peyton Manning (UFA) - Really?
Michael Vick (UFA) - Again...really?
Matt Moore (UFA) - Don't see Carolina letting him go but someone will give him some $.
Alex Smith (UFA) - San Fran will probably re-sign him to a cap-friendly deal.
Billy Volek (UFA) - I'd imagine he's going to the Titans now that Collins retired.
Seneca Wallace (UFA) - Re-signs in Cleveland where he's going to get playing time.

No Way - Bad Blood/Bad Fit:
Matt Leinart (UFA) - Too much baggage...
Brian St. Pierre (UFA) - Had his chance here...muffed it.
Chris Simms (UFA) - "Chronic" issues...plus dad's way too involved.

Unlikely - Bad Fit:
Todd Collins (UFA) - Got exposed in playoff loss, with our line he'd be in the fetal position.
Brodie Croyle (UFA) - Had his chances, doesn't offer anything, bad decision-making.
Trent Edwards (UFA) - Flamed out in Buffalo, questionable arm & dumps off constantly.
Charlie Frye (UFA) - The Steelers helped ruin his career as a QB, why would we bring him here?

Unlikely - Re-Signing:
David Carr (UFA) - With Alex Smith as the starter, San Francisco is a good spot for him.
Kellen Clemens (UFA) - Sanchez is still shaky at times, the Jets need a back-up they trust.
Bruce Gradkowski (UFA) - He'll stay in Oakland, where he can get some PT.
Caleb Hanie (RFA) - Chicago like what it saw in the playoffs, he's staying put.
Jordan Palmer (RFA) - He's been doing the work-outs with the Bengals, I doubt they let him go.
Luke McCown (UFA) - Jacksonville wants him back.

Unlikely - Not Worth It:
Chris Greisen (UFA) - Dallas...he's too old.
Tarvaris Jackson (UFA) - If you don't care for Dixon, why would you bring him in?
J.P. Losman (UFA) - Done nothing in 7 years.
J.T. O'Sullivan (UFA) - Done nothing in 9 years.
Patrick Ramsey (UFA) - Same number of year as O'Sullivan...& the same result - nothing.
Jim Sorgi (UFA) - Anyone even seen him play? As the Manning's caddy he hasn't built much of a resume.
Tyler Thigpen (UFA) - He'll stay in Miami or join Buffalo with Chan Gailey who coached him in KC.
Troy Smith (RFA) - He's not accurate & seems to split lockerrooms...don't think so.

Possibilities:
Drew Stanton (UFA) - With athleticism & good arm strength, he's a solid #2 prospect with short-term starting potential.
Nate Davis (UFA) - The kid's an athlete with upside...does he have mental side of the game?
Derek Anderson (Released FA) - Yeah he's stunk it up in AZ, but he's AFC North familiar, & like Lefty he's got starting experience, a big arm & the temperament to be a quality #2.

In reality, with the uncertainty that will face the Steelers with the shortened preparation, it's more likely the QBs will remain the basically the same...unless they decide Lefty costs too much. If that's the case then Batch benefits (& he clearly needs the contract), but I think Batch is done & best serves the team as a street FA that can be signed in an emergency. If you're honest you probably realize that after Ben, Dixon is the most dynamic QB the team has & offers an element to keep teams off-balance when he gets a chance to play. Obviously the team will sign him to a one year tender & as such this is a big year for him...he has to win the #2 & show he's capable of leading the team for longer stretches or he faces being an FA next season as the team would surely bring someone else in to develop. Either way...this season we stand pat, but next year expect some changes.

Oviedo
07-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Let's look at this realistically, here's the list of these "available" QBs broken down as it should be looked at...

No Way - Retired:
Kerry Collins (UFA)
Brett Favre (UFA)
Chad Pennington (UFA)

No Way - Starters (or Wanna-be's):
Marc Bulger (UFA) - He's going to the Cards or somewhere he can get a starting shot.
Rex Grossman (UFA) - Due to short training camp, re-sign with the Redskins to challenge McNabb et al..
Matt Hasselbeck (UFA) - Either re-signing with Seattle or somewhere he can get a starting shot.
Peyton Manning (UFA) - Really?
Michael Vick (UFA) - Again...really?
Matt Moore (UFA) - Don't see Carolina letting him go but someone will give him some $.
Alex Smith (UFA) - San Fran will probably re-sign him to a cap-friendly deal.
Billy Volek (UFA) - I'd imagine he's going to the Titans now that Collins retired.
Seneca Wallace (UFA) - Re-signs in Cleveland where he's going to get playing time.

No Way - Bad Blood/Bad Fit:
Matt Leinart (UFA) - Too much baggage...
Brian St. Pierre (UFA) - Had his chance here...muffed it.
Chris Simms (UFA) - "Chronic" issues...plus dad's way too involved.

Unlikely - Bad Fit:
Todd Collins (UFA) - Got exposed in playoff loss, with our line he'd be in the fetal position.
Brodie Croyle (UFA) - Had his chances, doesn't offer anything, bad decision-making.
Trent Edwards (UFA) - Flamed out in Buffalo, questionable arm & dumps off constantly.
Charlie Frye (UFA) - The Steelers helped ruin his career as a QB, why would we bring him here?

Unlikely - Re-Signing:
David Carr (UFA) - With Alex Smith as the starter, San Francisco is a good spot for him.
Kellen Clemens (UFA) - Sanchez is still shaky at times, the Jets need a back-up they trust.
Bruce Gradkowski (UFA) - He'll stay in Oakland, where he can get some PT.
Caleb Hanie (RFA) - Chicago like what it saw in the playoffs, he's staying put.
Jordan Palmer (RFA) - He's been doing the work-outs with the Bengals, I doubt they let him go.
Luke McCown (UFA) - Jacksonville wants him back.

Unlikely - Not Worth It:
Chris Greisen (UFA) - Dallas...he's too old.
Tarvaris Jackson (UFA) - If you don't care for Dixon, why would you bring him in?
J.P. Losman (UFA) - Done nothing in 7 years.
J.T. O'Sullivan (UFA) - Done nothing in 9 years.
Patrick Ramsey (UFA) - Same number of year as O'Sullivan...& the same result - nothing.
Jim Sorgi (UFA) - Anyone even seen him play? As the Manning's caddy he hasn't built much of a resume.
Tyler Thigpen (UFA) - He'll stay in Miami or join Buffalo with Chan Gailey who coached him in KC.
Troy Smith (RFA) - He's not accurate & seems to split lockerrooms...don't think so.

Possibilities:
Drew Stanton (UFA) - With athleticism & good arm strength, he's a solid #2 prospect with short-term starting potential.
Nate Davis (UFA) - The kid's an athlete with upside...does he have mental side of the game?
Derek Anderson (Released FA) - Yeah he's stunk it up in AZ, but he's AFC North familiar, & like Lefty he's got starting experience, a big arm & the temperament to be a quality #2.

In reality, with the uncertainty that will face the Steelers with the shortened preparation, it's more likely the QBs will remain the basically the same...unless they decide Lefty costs too much. If that's the case then Batch benefits (& he clearly needs the contract), but I think Batch is done & best serves the team as a street FA that can be signed in an emergency. If you're honest you probably realize that after Ben, Dixon is the most dynamic QB the team has & offers an element to keep teams off-balance when he gets a chance to play. Obviously the team will sign him to a one year tender & as such this is a big year for him...he has to win the #2 & show he's capable of leading the team for longer stretches or he faces being an FA next season as the team would surely bring someone else in to develop. Either way...this season we stand pat, but next year expect some changes.

In reality, with the uncertainty that will face the Steelers with the shortened preparation, it's more likely the QBs will remain the basically the same

This is the key!!!! It applies to more than just QBs. There will be no time to learn system and scheme. That goes for offense and defense, so any dreams of bringing in a new WR or CB or anything is just that...a dream.

The lack of an off season means that "keeping your own" is the only path to success this upcoming season. That is why the talks are getting hung up on the whole "right of first refusal" issue. The teams know that they don't have time to get new players up to speed before the season starts so they want a mechanism that allows them to retain their own players. The players are fighting this because they want the wild, wild west in free agency because desperate teams will drive up prices. But as always the most desperate teams with the most cap space are usually the worst teams.

papillon
07-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Ben, Lefty, Dixon

Pappy

Or, how does the player/coach designation work? I don't know the NFL handles either of these suggestions. I would think that if the Steelers released Batch, he would be there for the taking if they needed him. I don't see any other team showing interest; or, for that matter, Batch wanting to go anywhere else to play.

Pappy

DukieBoy
07-08-2011, 10:55 AM

Ben, Lefty, Dixon

Pappy

Or, how does the player/coach designation work? I don't know the NFL handles either of these suggestions. I would think that if the Steelers released Batch, he would be there for the taking if they needed him. I don't see any other team showing interest; or, for that matter, Batch wanting to go anywhere else to play.

Pappy

Keeping him with the team as a coach adds the benefit for the team of keeping him in the loop of game-planning and other practice aspects. It also gives Charlie the opportunity to begin a coaching career. Seems like a win-win, if it is within the NFL's rules, and doesn't draw down one of Goodell's "New Rules".

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-09-2011, 09:18 AM

although Brett Favre probably feels the need to get another interception out of his system, I'm not sure he would want to play for the Steelers. do we have any good looking massage therapists or female reporters?

Favre would never come to the Burgh. We don't even have cheerleaders.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-09-2011, 09:25 AM
#1 Ben - Obvious

#2 Leftwich - In a shortened pre-season, we are in a good position having a guy with exeprience on this team

#3 Dixon - If nobody else makes a play for the RFA. Would be a nice weapon to bring into the game for a play or two in the fourth, maybe even give him a slash role if he can do it. If forced into a game at #3 he brings a skill set that the D has not planned for. However, in case of injury to either Ben or Byron I would go out quickly to sign someone else so that Dixon doesn't move to #2.

Batch - If we let Dixon go then there is a good chance that another team picks him up. If we let Batch go then he sits in Pittsburgh a phone call away. There is zero risk in losing him as a player, the only chance he goes on anywhere else is if he is hired as a coach or gets a full time job with the union.